Official Harvard 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What I meant was that I don't know if non-students ("real" students... not just anyone who happens to be taking an HES class, which is thousands of people a year) can apply for the student jobs, not apply as internal applicants for regular Harvard staff jobs. There's a difference between jobs available for students, and staff jobs. I believe also that the jobs listed on the employment website are the same, whether you search as an internal candidate or external... you're just characterized as internal or external for hiring purposes.

I have a question about the Stafford loans - I was under the impression that we were not allowed to take out Stafford loans unless we were degree students... or maybe diploma students. But most people (I would guess) are not diploma students... being in HCP is different from working towards the diploma, and you can't do the diploma if you have ever taken even one of the pre-med classes elsewhere. Just being enrolled in HCP to take pre-reqs and get the committee letter does not make you eligible for Stafford loans, right? Has there been a change?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about the Stafford loans - I was under the impression that we were not allowed to take out Stafford loans unless we were degree students... or maybe diploma students. But most people (I would guess) are not diploma students... being in HCP is different from working towards the diploma, and you can't do the diploma if you have ever taken even one of the pre-med classes elsewhere. Just being enrolled in HCP to take pre-reqs and get the committee letter does not make you eligible for Stafford loans, right? Has there been a change?

You don't need to be in a degree program for Stafford loans, but do need to be an admitted student (HCP with or without diploma in this case). The eligibility is based on the number of courses you are taking (at least half-time). I don't think you can use Stafford loans to just take courses as a non-admitted student. In that case, I would look to using a CitiAssist loan (low interest for private loan) and don't forget that you can claim interest payments on your taxes, as well as applying for educational benefits. I've saved a lot of money making sure to fill these out correctly.

Are you SURE? Are you a diploma student or just in HCP? That would be great if we could use Stafford loans for HCP, but I am pretty positive that you have to be working towards a degree or diploma... I know it used to be that even certificate programs were not enough to let you take out Stafford loans. Since HCP accepts everyone who applies, and you could conceivably be in the program but only take a few classes, I'm not sure one would be eligible for Stafford loans.

Is there anyone on here who knows? I know that this has been a complaint of some HCP people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you SURE? Are you a diploma student or just in HCP? That would be great if we could use Stafford loans for HCP, but I am pretty positive that you have to be working towards a degree or diploma... I know it used to be that even certificate programs were not enough to let you take out Stafford loans. Since HCP accepts everyone who applies, and you could conceivably be in the program but only take a few classes, I'm not sure one would be eligible for Stafford loans.

Is there anyone on here who knows? I know that this has been a complaint of some HCP people.

Unless something drastic has changed, I am sure. First, it's on the website that you can do it. Second, most of my friends in the program were HCP and not diploma students but still took Stafford loans.

Unless something drastic has changed, I am sure. First, it's on the website that you can do it. Second, most of my friends in the program were HCP and not diploma students but still took Stafford loans.

For my part, I took $12,000 out from the federal government, as well as $3,000 from Sallie Mae. As far as I'm aware, we are NOT covered during year two.

For me, I'm going to begin paid research soon and had always planned to work while in class (did it in college, while being an athlete, volunteer, researcher, and student leader). But, if you absolutely CANNOT handle that then you're not alone--about 75% of our students fund the two years via loans.

You can send me a private message and I will give you the email address of Zack who is the HCP financial advisor and he will answer any and all questions.

Wow... this is very interesting. Thanks! I'm no newbie to Stafford loans - I used them in undergrad and for a masters degree I already have. I know how they work and how to get them, but I didn't think you could use them for a program like HCP. I know that it definitely used to be the case that you could not use them for certificate programs... there were a few certificate programs in which I was interested, and lack of funding was an obstacle. (I just turned 34, so I am talking about early-mid 2000s.) Now I see that you can use them for certificate programs. I would still assume that HCP (non-diploma) wouldn't make you eligible, except HES's website seems to indicate that you CAN take out the loans as long as you are half-time in that program. That's interesting, because all it really is is a program in which you pay a large fee and the committee will sponsor your application to medical school. Otherwise, it's really no different from just taking the courses on your own. You don't receive a diploma or certificate, or degree. To be honest, although I think it's very helpful to students (and a good $$$-maker for Harvard), it doesn't really seem like HCP non-degree students should be able to take out Stafford loans...it kind of seems like any school could decide to let people "apply" but accept everyone, and not grant a degree/certificate/diploma, but let people take out Stafford loans. They used to have stricter rules.

However, this is very interesting.

Wow... this is very interesting. Thanks! I'm no newbie to Stafford loans - I used them in undergrad and for a masters degree I already have. I know how they work and how to get them, but I didn't think you could use them for a program like HCP. I know that it definitely used to be the case that you could not use them for certificate programs... there were a few certificate programs in which I was interested, and lack of funding was an obstacle. (I just turned 34, so I am talking about early-mid 2000s.) Now I see that you can use them for certificate programs. I would still assume that HCP (non-diploma) wouldn't make you eligible, except HES's website seems to indicate that you CAN take out the loans as long as you are half-time in that program. That's interesting, because all it really is is a program in which you pay a large fee and the committee will sponsor your application to medical school. Otherwise, it's really no different from just taking the courses on your own. You don't receive a diploma or certificate, or degree. To be honest, although I think it's very helpful to students (and a good $$$-maker for Harvard), it doesn't really seem like HCP non-degree students should be able to take out Stafford loans...it kind of seems like any school could decide to let people "apply" but accept everyone, and not grant a degree/certificate/diploma, but let people take out Stafford loans. They used to have stricter rules.

However, this is very interesting.

Yes. I'm a non-diploma seeking candidate and I qualified for federal loans for the first year. The second year, we are not covered federally but the school will sign over private loans BARRING that you maintain a 3.0 or higher.

I think that our program is a little different because the act of taking curriculum through them (and continuing through applications) is a means to an end. The end being your prospective health program, be it medical, veterinary, or dental. Like all universities, Harvard wants to boast a high acceptance rate which will reflect highly on its standards, increasing the student influx and money they can potentially receive. So, OF COURSE they will try to fund a student who is motivated and working their hindquarters off--they're more likely to move on to the next level.

It's just good business.

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about taking a bio elective next semester. Does anyone have any recommendations? My advisor from undergrad suggested developmental or comparative a&p. I work full time so I'm looking for something manageable.

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about taking a bio elective next semester. Does anyone have any recommendations? My advisor from undergrad suggested developmental or comparative a&p. I work full time so I'm looking for something manageable.

Developmental was a pretty good course. I worked full time when I took it and found it manageable. The instructor is different than the one I had, but the material should be basically the same (the present teacher was her TF). I find that the material comes up in other courses, so it is definitely relevant.

I can't make any other suggestions right now, because the HES system is jammed. . . . . One caveat - steer clear of Immunology. She teaches to the Graduate research level.

Good luck.

hey guys,
i applied to several DO schools for the fall 2011, but im not sure what my chances are. my mcat is low, senior year grades last spring were really bad, and i applied a bit late...so i won't be surprised if i dont get in.
i was going to be in the HEP for the fall of 2010, i applied and everything, but didn't end up going.
I was thinking of going for just the spring semester. I have taken all my pre-reqs, so i just want to take some more classes and basically try to buff up my resume in case i don't get it anywhere this cycle.

my question is.
i live in north carolina, and i've taken all of my prereqs.
is it worth it for me to really go up and move to boston for 5 months to take some night classes? I would love to be in a new city, so actually like the idea of going up there...but im not sure if the majority of students there are locals, or if the classes are too hard to get A's.
My goal is to JUST take classes for the spring semester. any opinions?

So, the course schedule is up now. I want to take an upper level Bio course, but I've already taken both semesters of A&P. Does anyone have any recommendations for a Bio course next semester that would be manageable? Thanks.

hey guys,
i applied to several DO schools for the fall 2011, but im not sure what my chances are. my mcat is low, senior year grades last spring were really bad, and i applied a bit late...so i won't be surprised if i dont get in.
i was going to be in the HEP for the fall of 2010, i applied and everything, but didn't end up going.
I was thinking of going for just the spring semester. I have taken all my pre-reqs, so i just want to take some more classes and basically try to buff up my resume in case i don't get it anywhere this cycle.

my question is.
is it worth it for me to really go up and move to boston for 5 months to take some night classes? I would love to be in a new city, so actually like the idea of going up there...but im not sure if the majority of students there are locals, or if the classes are too hard to get A's.

Hi Guys,

I am taking Chem E1b this spring, and I really struggled with E1a. I would love to start studying for E1b beforehand, and am trying to locate lecture notes etc! Does anyone have a set? I have E1a notes.

Please email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Mona

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

Hope you are enjoying your time at HES. I am planning on applying to the HCP program for fall 2011 matriculation and was looking for feedback from you all what your impressions are so far.

One of my main concerns is that there seem to have been some changes in the instructors (namely, Dr. Fixsen not teaching bio any longer?). Is this the case? Do you have any feedback on the new profs?

My other general questions revolve around your impressions of the curriculum, teaching, advising (my main concern!), and your general happiness.

Thank you all in advance for your feedback!:)

hey guys,

my question is.

I don't know the stats, but there are certainly plenty of people who are not from the area, although a lot of the students work in local hospitals and are somewhat "established" in the area. But you would not be alone in being from a different region of the country. That said... is money no object? Living in Boston is very expensive. Is it safe to assume you'd be taking a bunch of upper-level electives, since you have met all the pre-reqs? If you've got nothing better to do and you're convinced you're not going to get into your DO programs and you've got a significant amount of money to drop on courses and living expenses, it couldn't hurt - unless you're not up to it and won't do well. Some of the classes are very hard - people get As, but not everyone gets As. I don't know that randomly moving to Boston to get mediocre grades in electives is a great idea.

Hi all!

Hope you are enjoying your time at HES. I am planning on applying to the HCP program for fall 2011 matriculation and was looking for feedback from you all what your impressions are so far.

One of my main concerns is that there seem to have been some changes in the instructors (namely, Dr. Fixsen not teaching bio any longer?). Is this the case? Do you have any feedback on the new profs?

My other general questions revolve around your impressions of the curriculum, teaching, advising (my main concern!), and your general happiness.

Thank you all in advance for your feedback!:)

I am done with my first semester as of last night at 8:15pm. Upon reflecting on the program itself, after the shenanigans that ensued post-final, I can come to one conclusion:

The people there are awesome.

The student society advertised that they would be getting together at a local bar directly after the Thursday night final. And, the turnout was AMAZING. The TFs were in attendance (even the head TF) and a professor took a reluctant rain check as he had grading to do. But, everyone came together, bought group pitchers, and we laughed and commiserated and had an epic time.

The thing about our program is that it's rigorous. We don't have the fancy title and the big advising staff. We don't have people who are there to find us volunteering opportunities or watchdog faculty to look after our grades night and day, checking for the surest sign of slipping. Our attrition rate is atrocious. And, ratemyprofessor.com often warns of professors with track records of being GPA smashers. But, I would NEVER want to be in any other program.

We work incredibly hard, but the payoff is fantastic. Admission committees are well aware of the standards set forth by Harvard, and they smile upon those that can make it out. Fixsen is an amazing Director--very blunt in his opinions, but he's almost like a stern father-figure who wants you to do well, having no qualms about telling it like it is.

The faculty is very accessible and they are vocal from the get-go about wanting the success of every student. They will work with you every step of the way to ensure that you understand the concepts. I feel very supported by them all.

All in all, I'm incredibly glad I came out here. The move from San Diego was rough, but Boston is great and I've made some awesome friends at school. I'd recommend the program, without hesitation.

I am done with my first semester as of last night at 8:15pm. Upon reflecting on the program itself, after the shenanigans that ensued post-final, I can come to one conclusion:

The people there are awesome.

The student society advertised that they would be getting together at a local bar directly after the Thursday night final. And, the turnout was AMAZING. The TFs were in attendance (even the head TF) and a professor took a reluctant rain check as he had grading to do. But, everyone came together, bought group pitchers, and we laughed and commiserated and had an epic time.

The thing about our program is that it's rigorous. We don't have the fancy title and the big advising staff. We don't have people who are there to find us volunteering opportunities or watchdog faculty to look after our grades night and day, checking for the surest sign of slipping. Our attrition rate is atrocious. And, ratemyprofessor.com often warns of professors with track records of being GPA smashers. But, I would NEVER want to be in any other program.

We work incredibly hard, but the payoff is fantastic. Admission committees are well aware of the standards set forth by Harvard, and they smile upon those that can make it out. Fixsen is an amazing Director--very blunt in his opinions, but he's almost like a stern father-figure who wants you to do well, having no qualms about telling it like it is.

The faculty is very accessible and they are vocal from the get-go about wanting the success of every student. They will work with you every step of the way to ensure that you understand the concepts. I feel very supported by them all.

All in all, I'm incredibly glad I came out here. The move from San Diego was rough, but Boston is great and I've made some awesome friends at school. I'd recommend the program, without hesitation.

What??? What about those poor A&P students who are not done until 7:30 pm on Monday (grrrr... madly studying.)

Physics and chem, first finals. Done and done. :)

Hang in there!!

Quick financial aid question:

My transcripts are a bit of a mess and I've "attempted" (key word) quite a few credits, though ended up withdrawing from many of them. At one school I've been looking at, you are ineligible for financial aid if you've attempted more than 150% of the credits generally required for a degree.
To anyone's knowledge, is this a nation-wide policy or does HES have a different interpretation?

Hmm... I haven't heard of this policy, although I have to say that I think it makes sense. I have a question about the classes you've attempted - are they the same sort of courses you'd be wanting to take now? In that case, I would think you need to give serious thought to your ability to successfully complete them now. If you just took a couple classes and withdrew, that would be one thing, but it sounds like you've attempted but not completed a lot of courses. Another thing - if you get financial aid and then withdraw from the course before a certain point, you have to pay back all of the loan money (including money you may have spent on living expenses) immediately. I can't remember the details.

Edit to add - I googled, and yes, "the 150% rule" is a federal regulation. I'm not sure how it would be applied in this case, though, since you wouldn't even be working towards a degree. I was surprised when BeachBlondie posted that HES pre-med students were even eligible for federal financial aid, since generally, you are not eligible unless you are in a degree-granting program. But in any case, the rule is basically that if a particular degree at X school consists of Y credits, you cannot receive financial aid for more than 150% of Y credits at that school (when working towards that particular degree, I assume.) But, since you're not working towards a specific degree with a specific number of required credits, I don't know how this would be applied... you're essentially pursuing continuing education, not a degree, even if you are trying to complete the pre-medical diploma. Actually, this generally wouldn't be an issue, since federal financial aid is not usually available for continuing education. I would contact HES to find out about this.

Last edited:
Hi everyone - this is an awesome thread, thanks for all the information.

I'm currently a senior in college, thinking about the HCP one-year track starting this June.

It looks like I can't apply to HCP until after I graduate, but I could register for the summer school course. If I wait until June to apply to the HCP for fall, with plans for the summer school gen chem already in place, am I taking a gamble on admission to HCP? I have a 3.85 from a top 10 undergrad with no obvious reasons why I would be turned down, but it seems a little risky? Anyone have any advice on this?

I'm a senior in college as well. I applied earlier this year, and was accepted pending my final transcript--meaning proof that I received for my degree. I would say go for it.

Hmm... I haven't heard of this policy, although I have to say that I think it makes sense. I have a question about the classes you've attempted - are they the same sort of courses you'd be wanting to take now? In that case, I would think you need to give serious thought to your ability to successfully complete them now. If you just took a couple classes and withdrew, that would be one thing, but it sounds like you've attempted but not completed a lot of courses. Another thing - if you get financial aid and then withdraw from the course before a certain point, you have to pay back all of the loan money (including money you may have spent on living expenses) immediately. I can't remember the details.

I appreciate the concern, but the withdrawals had nothing to do with an inability to handle the material.

I've emailed financial aid people at the Extension School, but it seems their offices are closed until the new year, so I was hoping someone here might have encountered a similar situation.

Thanks for your response.

Hi all. First time poster - will be joining HCP in the spring as a non-degree candidate. I had a quick question regarding doing academic research with professors at Harvard/nearby hospitals. Have any of you found professors who are willing to work with you? If so, how have you approached them or got the opportunities? I have a interest in neurology and am not quite sure how to go about obtaining research experience in neurology - at my undergraduate institution (also a large private school) we would just e-mail the respective professors to see if they needed anyone in their labs but i'm not sure if this is appropriate given we are at the extension school.

Thanks!

Hi all. First time poster - will be joining HCP in the spring as a non-degree candidate. I had a quick question regarding doing academic research with professors at Harvard/nearby hospitals. Have any of you found professors who are willing to work with you? If so, how have you approached them or got the opportunities? I have a interest in neurology and am not quite sure how to go about obtaining research experience in neurology - at my undergraduate institution (also a large private school) we would just e-mail the respective professors to see if they needed anyone in their labs but i'm not sure if this is appropriate given we are at the extension school.

Thanks!

I would suggest that you look at Harvard's employment website and look for research jobs. Also, check the hospital websites. There are quite a few people I know who are working at nearby hospitals, although most of them already had their jobs, and then decided to pursue HCP... but you could do it the other way around, too. Generally, student research opportunities go to "real" Harvard students, which is totally understandable, and funding issues also play a part in that. And, merely paying $100 to join HCP does not really make you deserving of a research position... there are quite a lot of people in that program, and the positions are obviously limited in number. I don't mean to sound so harsh with that, so I hope you know what I mean. If I were a Harvard prof, I would prefer to working with degree students and might have to work with work-study students, etc.. I'm sure there are some people who might manage to schmooze their way into a position, though. But even some ALM students candidates have trouble finding research opportunities with profs.

Last edited:
I'm a senior in college as well. I applied earlier this year, and was accepted pending my final transcript--meaning proof that I received for my degree. I would say go for it.

Thanks! I mailed my app in yesterday. Maybe I'll see you in Boston next fall? :)

So, it's freezing.

And I'm an athlete from San Diego.

How in the hell do you guys stay active during the winter out here?? You see, my gym is a mile away and I sold my car before coming out, leaving me to brave the elements whenever I need to go anywhere past my mailbox. I wanted to go to the gym today, but the wind chill brings the temperature to 18 degrees....with 50mph gusts of wind.

Terrible.

Any suggestions? Or does everyone stay inside and bundle in the Northeast?

So, it's freezing.

How in the hell do you guys stay active during the winter out here?? You see, my gym is a mile away and I sold my car before coming out, leaving me to brave the elements whenever I need to go anywhere past my mailbox. I wanted to go to the gym today, but the wind chill brings the temperature to 18 degrees....with 50mph gusts of wind.

Terrible.

The indelicate suggestion would be to grow a pair.

A slightly more constructive bit of advice would be to run to the gym. This way you are less cold, and for a shorter period of time.

I am trying to put myself in your shoes, and I'm guessing you may think both of these suggestions are impossible (the first is, physically at least) at best and insane at worst. But, as an athlete who grew up in Minnesota (and routinely jumped in the ocean during Christmas-time visits to my grandparents in Chula Vista), I can assure you exercising outdoors in the winter is not only non-lethal, but also exhilarating and satisfying in a way that going for a bit of a jog when it's 70F just isn't.

At least in the Midwest, a lot of people do just bundle up and go into a sort of hibernation for 4-5 months - waking weekly to consume massive amounts of cheap canned beer - but this is less desirable than it seems.

So, it's freezing.

Terrible.

Are you kidding me? You can't walk a mile to get to your gym? I grew up in Maine and used to live in Montreal. The weather lately has NOT been very cold... we're having quite a mild winter so far.

Do you have a winter coat? Wear it and walk to the gym. Or, start running outside and you'll realize how nice it really can be. Most days, I either walk or run outside for an hour. Running raises your body temp by 15-20 degrees... so dress as though it is 15-20 degrees warmer than the thermometer says it is... you'll be cold to start, but feel great later on. Trust me, you'll warm up and likely even be way TOO hot.

Your question is funny to me (literally funny ha ha) because for so many people, the problem is, "I don't have a treadmill and I can't afford a gym membership, so I don't know how to stay active during the winter." You have a gym membership, and the gym is only a mile away! You should have NO problem staying active during the winter.

So, it's freezing.

Terrible.

I got you.
http://www.shakeweight.com/

I hear you BeachBlondie, I grew up in Vegas and lived in Solana Beach for a bit. Its just different when you didn't grow up with the cold - I feel like you never quiiite acclimate. (I say this as someone who went to Chicago for college - much more brutal winters, in my opinion. Boston winter was a relief after Chicago but I'm still not used to it like the locals)

That being said, I do a lot of indoor yoga (its really great for stress reduction during Rueckner's class :) You can find a lot of free videos online, some On Demand if you have Comcast cable, or you can borrow dvd's from the library. Yoga styles range from meditative and chill to very athletic power yoga - a really great supplement to balance (and enhance!) running.

Its also pretty exhilarating to work out outside, as other people have said. Get some good cold weather accessories - lined gloves, ear muffs/headband (seriously, I can walk for hours in the cold so long as my ears are covered - they get super cold but I dislike hats greatly) Thermals/long underwear and good socks (yay Smartwool!) are a must.

Buck up - its pretty tough to get used to the cold, but you will! And then you'll be one of those people who have the streets all to themselves while the rest of us are shivering, frightened of the cold, indoors :)

So, it's freezing.

Terrible.

FYI, grades are up a day early! (at least mine are)

Atis, I'm going to thank you for not posting like a lame wad.

For everyone else, allow me to repeat myself: I'm from San Diego. I don't habla this "mild winter" B.S. You know what the temperature back home was today? 67 degrees.

And, yes. I do run to the gym while freezing my hindquarters off. But, a mile is not much to get warmed up with, you see? I was looking for alternatives that many of you may turn to.

Grades ARE up! If anyone needs me, I'll be cursing Rueckner's name ;)

Atis, I'm going to thank you for not posting like a lame wad.

For everyone else, allow me to repeat myself: I'm from San Diego. I don't habla this "mild winter" B.S. You know what the temperature back home was today? 67 degrees.

And, yes. I do run to the gym while freezing my hindquarters off. But, a mile is not much to get warmed up with, you see? I was looking for alternatives that many of you may turn to.

Grades ARE up! If anyone needs me, I'll be cursing Rueckner's name ;)

Woot woot!!! I also came on here to say grades are up. Was anyone else checking obsessively, like I was? Maybe it's because the Extension School is closed tomorrow due to the storm. Yay for A in A&P!

As for the issue at hand... I don't buy your "I'm from San Diego" complaint. I went to college (in Maine) with people from Hawaii and Africa and other areas who all adjusted. Get a long down coat! I like Land's End's "Lightweight Down Coat" (brown, my color.) Wear a hat and gloves and boots, and you should barely even get cold at all on your way to the gym... at least you have a gym membership! All you have to do is brave the elements for 15 minutes or less to walk to the gym, or even less when you run... and then you can work out inside! Also, I don't think you are genetically constructed to live in a warm area or something... you just happen to be from San Diego. I don't habla "alternative" when there's a gym membership and a gym very close by... there should be no problem. You could also call a cab.

Not trying to be rude... just motivational. :)

I was definitely checking obsessively, which is why I knew they were up :)

SO happy about my grade in A&P - I thought that final was awful and was super grumpy that busting my ass all semester was going to not mean a damn thing in the end, but it didn't turn out to be the case! Yay curving!

Reuckner's class...well, apparently the median grade on the final was a 77 and I thought that final was BS too, but it turned out ok (not great, but ok!) I hear the second semester is a good bit easier so I'm excited for that.

I'm also taking Bio in the spring - does anyone have any thoughts on the prof so far? I hear he pretty much lectures out of the book - is that true? Does he post powerpoints online and did people really end up skipping lecture most of the time? (clearly winter break is making me laaaazy)

As far as cold goes, I agree that you adjust eventually (I'm South Asian and grew up in India and the Southwest, this is saying a lot.) But when I first got into a cold climate, I could not for the life of me grasp what to do to not get hypothermia. I bought 4 coats my first year of college but only years later did I truly understand layering. It takes time!

However...the process is a lot easier when you don't have Midwesterners and Northeasterns (who take their ability to withstand cold as a HUGE point of pride it seems) telling you to stop whining! Be gentle on us Westcoasters folks, we'll figure it out with your help...and come talk to me the next time you're in 110 degree heat, ok? ;)

I was SO angry about that A&P final!! I went into the final with an A - lowest grade on the midterms was a 92, lowest quiz grade was 18/20. I seriously studied for 40 hours for this exam... I knew just about everything through and through EXCEPT her physics-y muscle stuff, which I figured she wouldn't place much weight on, since she hadn't gone over it in class... and then... the m/c was a complete joke - almost every single question was from the midterms. I could have not studied at all and just looked at the old exams and lost almost no points on that section. The short answer was fine except for the heavy weight placed on the physics-y muscle questions. She hadn't gone over that type of question in class, and I thought if anything, they should have been the extra credit questions, NOT worth at least 13 points. She didn't even ask us about the cross-bridge cycle, or anything that I thought was really important and sure to be on the exam! I was convinced I had ruined my A and had an A- at best, maybe a B+. Now I assume everyone did poorly on those questions, if I managed to end up with an A. I really wish she'd had a wider range of NEW questions on the final so I could actually demonstrate what I knew. Also - she said explicitly that we would need to be able to write out that metabolic reaction we learned in lecture 1... but we never had to.

Oh well, on to the next semester, and I can't complain anymore since I did fine!

And yes, it is true, for some reason we do take our ability to withstand cold temperatures as a point of pride. I admit it. But see... this is the thing... I never DO say "I can't deal with this weather, I'm from the northeast!" when it is really hot out. (And I've been in some very hot, humid weather.)

I was also surprised that she didn't put anything about cross-bridge cycle, the role of ATP in skeletal muscle, etc. - all those things that I thought were vital to understanding muscle physiology. Plus, I couldn't believe we got that short answer that was an exact replica of the homework from the week before when we hadn't even gone over it yet...those things threw me and I remember feeling totally baffled and disheartened by the final!

But, its done, many of us have survived our first semester (go us!), and I'm semi-ready...in a few weeks...for the spring semester!

Truce on the weather issue, we'll all adjust to new climes eventually...I mean, we adjusted to HCP, right? Btw I was talking about arid heat...I can't stand humidity :laugh:

Be gentle on us Westcoasters folks, we'll figure it out with your help...and come talk to me the next time you're in 110 degree heat, ok? ;)

The "great" thing about the Midwest is that you get horrible weather year-round, and I can feel smug when people complain in any season!

On a serious note: I never found (or even looked for) an alternative. I just wore more clothes and ran outside all year. I've done long runs in parking ramps due to bad footing, but otherwise found no need to make concessions unless it was dangerously cold (i.e. -30 windchill or something). A good windbreaker, light fleece thing, Drifit wicking layer, thin gloves, good mittens, hat, balaclava, tights, running pants, and two pairs of socks is the most you will need for even the worst weather.

If you're looking for some sort of winter sport, I would be incredibly surprised if there weren't some nordic skiing opportunities within a short drive.

Argh!!! I had missed that last class, NOT because it was grad student presentations, but because I was sick. So, I didn't get that last assignment, but someone showed me it a couple hours before the exam. No one I talked to had done it because they weren't sure how to, and we all agreed that she wouldn't put it on the exam, or if she did, it would be weighted very lightly. So, I didn't even look carefully at the questions (and by that point didn't have time to put any effort into them, anyway) so I didn't realize the short answer question was an exact replica. In any case, whether I should have done that assignment or not, yeah, it was unfair for her to put that stuff on the exam when we never got a key for those questions, and she didn't cover them in lecture, and nothing like that was in the book.

I think she focused so much on that stuff since that's her area of specialty. Either my guesses paid off or we had a good curve.

Truce on the weather issue. And we are having lovely weather today! :)

Also - YAKTRAX, or MICROSPIKES. You can have traction in any conditions!

I was definitely checking obsessively, which is why I knew they were up :)

SO happy about my grade in A&P - I thought that final was awful and was super grumpy that busting my ass all semester was going to not mean a damn thing in the end, but it didn't turn out to be the case! Yay curving!

Reuckner's class...well, apparently the median grade on the final was a 77 and I thought that final was BS too, but it turned out ok (not great, but ok!) I hear the second semester is a good bit easier so I'm excited for that.

I'm also taking Bio in the spring - does anyone have any thoughts on the prof so far? I hear he pretty much lectures out of the book - is that true? Does he post powerpoints online and did people really end up skipping lecture most of the time? (clearly winter break is making me laaaazy)

As far as cold goes, I agree that you adjust eventually (I'm South Asian and grew up in India and the Southwest, this is saying a lot.) But when I first got into a cold climate, I could not for the life of me grasp what to do to not get hypothermia. I bought 4 coats my first year of college but only years later did I truly understand layering. It takes time!

However...the process is a lot easier when you don't have Midwesterners and Northeasterns (who take their ability to withstand cold as a HUGE point of pride it seems) telling you to stop whining! Be gentle on us Westcoasters folks, we'll figure it out with your help...and come talk to me the next time you're in 110 degree heat, ok? ;)

UGH! Rueckner....

I did better than some (certainly better than the 50% of students that dropped), but am pissed that I didn't get an A. Walked away, CHOKING on a B-. Ouch. Final really screwed me, I think.

I'm coming into Rueckner's last semester with a vengeance.

Well, now that we're all relaxed, got our grades etc... its time for 2nd semester! I'm reading chapter 11 and 12 in Chang now for Chem e1b. Anybody know if we do "Intro to Organic Chemistry" and "Intermolecular Forces"? Would be a bit of a pain if I'm reading these chapters for no reason!

Hello everyone,

Now that we've all gotten our grades for last semester, I was wondering if anyone out there knew the exact grade cutoff between an A and an A- in Tucci's Chem E-1a class. I had previously heard it was something like 92.5, but I just wanted to know if that's really true. I'm just dying to know - and yes, I was one of those students who was obsessive checking the Extension site for my grade a couple days ago, too! No shame here!

Also, I would like to start reading ahead in my book during the next two weeks before school starts back up, as was mentioned in the previous post. Does anyone know what exact chapters we start with for sure?

Thanks for any info, as always!

Hey guys,

I am selling a brand new, never before used COMPLETE set of the MCAT Exam Kracker Study Books. This includes the EK Chem, Organic Chem, Biology, Physics, Verbal PLUS a free practice test and organic chemistry flash cards. I am selling this for $100 which is a little cheaper than Amazon's $109, plus you wouldn't have to pay for shipping. PM me if interested, first come first serve! Again, this is Exam Krackers most recent edition (7th) with no highlights/markings.

Does anyone know what the A/A- cutoff is for bio? I heard he might be down-curving from another student...

Last edited:
I hope one of you guys can help me answer this question. I will be attending HES in the fall, is it possible for me to take both Gen Chem, Orgo, and Bio at the same time? Physics is not covered on the DAT, so I want to take that last. I have taken all these courses before, but I want to retake them to help me focus and do well on the DAT. Also to improve my grades. Also, about financial aid, my understanding is that it only covers tuition...so how do you guys pay for rent and all the other stuff? are all of you guys working? Thank you very much for any answers you may be able to provide.

ps. This is my older brother's account. That's why it says premedical. He just graduated last year from medschool. He's an EM resident at UTSouthwestern

I hope one of you guys can help me answer this question. I will be attending HES in the fall, is it possible for me to take both Gen Chem, Orgo, and Bio at the same time? Physics is not covered on the DAT, so I want to take that last. I have taken all these courses before, but I want to retake them to help me focus and do well on the DAT. Also to improve my grades. Also, about financial aid, my understanding is that it only covers tuition...so how do you guys pay for rent and all the other stuff? are all of you guys working? Thank you very much for any answers you may be able to provide.

ps. This is my older brother's account. That's why it says premedical. He just graduated last year from medschool. He's an EM resident at UTSouthwestern

No, it's not possible to take Gen Chem and Orgo at the same time. They have the same course schedule (Thursday nights for both). It's possible to take a combination of the other 3 at the same time, but it'll be pretty intense doing Orgo and Physics at the same time.

No, it's not possible to take Gen Chem and Orgo at the same time. They have the same course schedule (Thursday nights for both). It's possible to take a combination of the other 3 at the same time, but it'll be pretty intense doing Orgo and Physics at the same time.

Thank you for a response. I guess i will just not take GenChem. I will study that for the DAT on my own. I need structure for Orgo. Can't study it on my own. I really don't want to take Physics yet. I hated it in undergrad, and since it's not covered on the DAT, I want to take it next year I guess. Maybe I will just take another upper level course or maybe a Math course.

Thanks again for your response ghostman

Thank you for a response. I guess i will just not take GenChem. I will study that for the DAT on my own. I need structure for Orgo. Can't study it on my own. I really don't want to take Physics yet. I hated it in undergrad, and since it's not covered on the DAT, I want to take it next year I guess. Maybe I will just take another upper level course or maybe a Math course.

Thanks again for your response ghostman

I think holding off Physics is a good idea. If it's not a strong subject for you, you'll want to be able to devote a decent amount of time to it. The DATs don't test complex math (calculus and such), but it does test a huge variety of math you probably learned in high school. Of math courses, I think statistics would be helpful (since you'll have probability questions on DATs). But don't let your Gen Chem slip either during this time. You may want to consider checking Gen Chem courses at UMass Boston if you're not in the HCP program.

You may also want to consider a higher-level Biology. The Bio course at HES WILL NOT cover all the topics/details you'll need for the DATs (such as plants). The Bio course is more practical for those taking the MCATs, where plants and non-human animals are rarely touched upon. It may be good to just spend the extra time reviewing Cliff's AP Bio notes, reading the textbook and Kaplan's BB bio section.

I think holding off Physics is a good idea. If it's not a strong subject for you, you'll want to be able to devote a decent amount of time to it. The DATs don't test complex math (calculus and such), but it does test a huge variety of math you probably learned in high school. Of math courses, I think statistics would be helpful (since you'll have probability questions on DATs). But don't let your Gen Chem slip either during this time. You may want to consider checking Gen Chem courses at UMass Boston if you're not in the HCP program.

You may also want to consider a higher-level Biology. The Bio course at HES WILL NOT cover all the topics/details you'll need for the DATs (such as plants). The Bio course is more practical for those taking the MCATs, where plants and non-human animals are rarely touched upon. It may be good to just spend the extra time reviewing Cliff's AP Bio notes, reading the textbook and Kaplan's BB bio section.
that is what i was planning on doing. I had heard the Bio section on the DAT covers alot more than what is focused on at the program. I was thinking about reading the Cliff's AP Bio and the Kaplan stuff. I will probably also enroll in a Stats course. I am looking at Gen Chem at UMass as well. I did fairly well in my gen chem courses, and I tutored some students at my university this past semester. I feel more confident in that section than any of the other sections. Of course, I will keep reviewing it. I won't just ignore it. Thank you ghostman.