Official Harvard 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I've decided to take O-Chem at HES this year. I know its a tough course in general but I have also heard that it can be brutal at HES. Does anyone who has taken it previously at HES have any general tips and or advice on how to do well?

Also, just wanted to let those who are planning on parking that you should get down to the parking office ASAP. I went at 10 am this morning and they were already sold out of spots for the Broadway garage!

Members don't see this ad.

So I've decided to take O-Chem at HES this year. I know its a tough course in general but I have also heard that it can be brutal at HES. Does anyone who has taken it previously at HES have any general tips and or advice on how to do well?

Also, just wanted to let those who are planning on parking that you should get down to the parking office ASAP. I went at 10 am this morning and they were already sold out of spots for the Broadway garage!

Orgo

1. Go to every class.
  2. Irrespective of your assigned TF, find one that is helpful (clear explanations, challenging, and able to explain the material in different ways) and go to their section. To find this TF, you will need to go to a number of sections and/or ask other students. This makes a HUGE difference. My TF is no longer there, otherwise I would highly rec him.
  3. Do all of the problems in Logan's practice problem handout(s) multiple times. Reach for understanding as opposed to memorization.
  4. Review the lecture notes and make sure you understand them. Work with them while you do the practice problems.
  5. Organic Chemistry As a Second Language was helpful.
  6. Stay on top of the material. If you don't understand something, get help. The material will start to build quickly, particularly during the second semester. You must have a good grasp of it.
  7. Logan McCarty is wonderful. He is incredibly good, so you couldn't be in better hands. Trust him and follow his suggestions.

The Oxford Street garage isn't bad for those taking classes in the Science Center, so don't worry if you didn't get Broadway.

Thanks Moki, that's very helpful! Will definitely follow your advice about finding a TF that works for me.

Unfortunately, McCarty isn't teaching O-Chem this year (the prof is someone named Matchacheep.) Fixsen isn't teach bio, either, so I'm a little nervous about the HCP classes this year, but I'm sure they'll still be excellent.

Re: parking, they opened a new garage on Mass Ave. About equi-distant from the science center as Oxford. For anyone who cares, apparently its big advantage is that when you exit, you can turn right onto Mass Ave.

Members don't see this ad :)
The website states that it's for "career changers." Now, only those that have not taken any (or very few) pre-reqs will be eligible for sponsorship. However, you can still take classes as a free agent, more or less (sorry, football season).

Anyhow. The best thing to do is call Dr. Fixsen's office. Either he or Owen Peterson would be more than happy to answer any and all questions. I think I called them a dozen times before coming out here.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply :) I emailed them and got a response back from Owen Peterson very quickly saying more or less the same thing as you though he didn't mention sponsorship. I take it the program is still worth going through even without the possibility of sponsorship? I liked the list of electives I saw...

Thanks for the reply :) I emailed them and got a response back from Owen Peterson very quickly saying more or less the same thing as you though he didn't mention sponsorship. I take it the program is still worth going through even without the possibility of sponsorship? I liked the list of electives I saw...

Certainly! The price of the program is FAAAAAAR worth the education you'll be getting. Affordable Harvard.....who knew?

The cool thing about your new path is that you don't have to worry about being constrained to the normal pre-reqs. You can explore any and all of the classes you wish. It may behoove you to try and get in touch with some alumni who took some of these courses to see which are really awesome.

Glad you liked the staff :) They're great.

Do we get a Harvard student ID card if we're applying for sponsorship but not a diploma candidate?

So, after my first week at Harvard, I couldn't be more enthusiastic and hopeful!

I was approached by a good number of my fellow SDNers after gen chem tonight and it was fantastic meeting everyone (and grabbing a beer with a couple of you). For the record, if you see me around NEVER hesitate to say, "Hey! Are you 'BeachBlondie'? I'm an SDN member and...."

After speaking with my classmates, I realized that everyone is curious about the formation of study groups. And, rightly so. Through the course of some research and muckraking, I've discovered that the professors have already established an avenue for us to post questions on class forums, establish study groups, and so forth.

As promised, I will provide you all with the links. I will also provide the link to the pre-health society's page (which is being updated; excuse the plain html).

I will be making a HEPS plug during physics and gen chem next week, as well as explaining the painless way to become a member. One thing you SHOULD know--something INTEGRAL to your education at Harvard--is that HEPS members meet at the Queenshead (a pub located beneath the memorial hall area, right next to the Science Center) every Thursday after lecture. We get together, share some beers, talk about life, and engage in trivia games. For easy identification, the HEPS board provides people with cheesy stickers. These stickers, at some point, will also be used as a raffle entry for Queenshead gift cards.

Good luck, everyone!

Here are the forums links:

Chem E-1: http://hesaconnect.org/groups/chem-e-1/
Chem E-2: http://hesaconnect.org/groups/chem-e-2/
Phys E-1: http://www.courses.dce.harvard.edu/~physe1b/

There are more to be determined. But, as they are updated, they will be thrown onto the HEPS website, under "Links."

HEPS: http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/heps/links.html

Does anyone have any thoughts about starting the HES program mid year? - meaning January as opposed to starting in the Fall.

Assuming you took two courses per semester, it looks like you'd end up beginning med school at the same time... I guess the starting in the Spring might mean more time to study for the MCATs. Anyway, just wanted to know if there were advantages/disadvantages to a mid year start.

Also, I'd love to hear thoughts on taking the summer courses, and if that would be recommended to speed up the process or if it's smarter to simply take the full semester courses.

Thanks so much

I need a recommendation for a third science course to take on a Tuesday. Could someone please give me suggestions. Also, where does everyone meet in the science center, is there like a corner or something?

Has anyone had problems with sectioning? I'm taking Bio, Physics, and O-Chem and i was assigned to O-chem lab on Tuesday night, which is when Physics lecture meets, even though I put Saturday as my first choice. I emailed the TF but haven't heard back yet. I'm pretty worried, though, because it says on the website that all sectioning assignments are final due to the size of the class, and I really have to take all these classes this year.

One thing you SHOULD know--something INTEGRAL to your education at Harvard--is that HEPS members meet at the Queenshead (a pub located beneath the memorial hall area, right next to the Science Center) every Thursday after lecture. We get together, share some beers, talk about life, and engage in trivia games. For easy identification, the HEPS board provides people with cheesy stickers. These stickers, at some point, will also be used as a raffle entry for Queenshead gift cards.
l

after lecture? what specific time on Thursday haha

Members don't see this ad :)
after lecture? what specific time on Thursday haha

After lecture, indeed. If you haven't been to the Queen's Head, it's pretty cool. Only serves beer and wine, and it's a chill little hang out.

IndianaHoosiers -

The pre-req courses (bio, chem, orgo, physics) have two parts with the first part being offered in the fall only and the second part being offered in the spring. If you were planning on taking one of those pre-req courses then it would be difficult to start in the spring (unless you have taken semester I of one of those courses already). If you are taking upper level courses for gpa enhancement then there are probably some courses that you can begin taking in the spring. I haven't taken any summer courses so I can't help you there, although I have heard that they are a lot of work (and they are more expensive).

QC

IndianaHoosiers -

The pre-req courses (bio, chem, orgo, physics) have two parts with the first part being offered in the fall only and the second part being offered in the spring. If you were planning on taking one of those pre-req courses then it would be difficult to start in the spring (unless you have taken semester I of one of those courses already). If you are taking upper level courses for gpa enhancement then there are probably some courses that you can begin taking in the spring. I haven't taken any summer courses so I can't help you there, although I have heard that they are a lot of work (and they are more expensive).

QC

I've heard the summer warnings, as well. I've heard they are INCREDIBLY rigorous.

if anybody still needs gen chem (chem 1a) textbook, i have a brand new international version + all the labs printed + 80 pages of the practice problems all printed out. pm me for details!

So, after my first week at Harvard, I couldn't be more enthusiastic and hopeful!

I was approached by a good number of my fellow SDNers after gen chem tonight and it was fantastic meeting everyone (and grabbing a beer with a couple of you). For the record, if you see me around NEVER hesitate to say, "Hey! Are you 'BeachBlondie'? I'm an SDN member and...."

After speaking with my classmates, I realized that everyone is curious about the formation of study groups. And, rightly so. Through the course of some research and muckraking, I've discovered that the professors have already established an avenue for us to post questions on class forums, establish study groups, and so forth.

As promised, I will provide you all with the links. I will also provide the link to the pre-health society's page (which is being updated; excuse the plain html).

I will be making a HEPS plug during physics and gen chem next week, as well as explaining the painless way to become a member. One thing you SHOULD know--something INTEGRAL to your education at Harvard--is that HEPS members meet at the Queenshead (a pub located beneath the memorial hall area, right next to the Science Center) every Thursday after lecture. We get together, share some beers, talk about life, and engage in trivia games. For easy identification, the HEPS board provides people with cheesy stickers. These stickers, at some point, will also be used as a raffle entry for Queenshead gift cards.

If I wasn't completely dependent on Boston's T, which ends far too early, to get me back to my apt, I'd be @ queens head after my study sessions everyday with a Magic Hat in hand.

Same reason I won't be able to make it to the 1/2 marathon (unless somebody has a ride from Quincy, eheh?).

Let's see if I can answer all three of your queries in one go.

Ok. The perk to being an "accepted" student (meaning that you're part of the HCP, but not necessarily a diploma candidate--i.e. you've already taken a pre-req or two) is that you qualify for some form of financial aid and DO have access to certain areas of campus with a Harvard ID number. You're considered a student.

People's applications get rejected usually if their GPAs are woefully low, OR if they've taken too many pre-reqs prior to applying. The administrators want to ensure that the program remains for those interested in career changing, and not academic enhancement.

As far as the letter o' sponsorship is concerned: it's a big deal. Our program is very well known, and VERY well regarded. So, the admissions committees of medical schools know to expect that sponsorship letter and will raise eyebrows if you
Code:
decided against getting one. It's almost like going to Harvard just to go and not really striving to do well enough to receive recognition. The letter itself represents Harvard's stamp of approval; it vouches for your success as a medical student. And, to be quite frank, it's far more valuable than a letter from a professor. Just take a second to visualize what it represents--you can either have a single person recognize you, or you can have an ENTIRE institution back your applications. It's up to you, but I think you should reconsider not striving for the letter.

In response to your library question, you can get into most of them. We even have our OWN library in the Science Center. As long as you have you student schedule on you, it will afford you access to just about any building. Hell, I walked into the Law School library the other day.

The program is a good one and has a great reputation. Welcome and good luck.

I'm confused. How does being accepted into the HCP make one considered a student if one doesn't receive a Harvard student ID card? From what I can tell, sponsorship candidates not in the diploma program have the same privileges, with the exception of advising, as HES students.

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap gym membership at a decent place in boston? I don't mind taking the T to get there. I haven't been going to the gym, and I feel awful :(

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap gym membership at a decent place in boston? I don't mind taking the T to get there. I haven't been going to the gym, and I feel awful :(

Also when does the HES Pre=health society meet? Has there been a meeting yet?

Find a Planet Fitness near you. The always have smoking deals. I pay $19.99/month for a Black Membership (which is a cool VIP things with a ton of perks).

Also when does the HES Pre=health society meet? Has there been a meeting yet?

HEPS meets every Thursday, right after chem lecture (9:00pm) at the Queens Head Pub on campus. Usually, we provide stickers to all members for easy identification. But, that might start NEXT week. The board will be there in a couple of days, though.

The meetings aren't necessary to attend, though. Everything you need will be included in the weekly "HEPSedrin," which is sent to our member email list. The Queens Head meetings are more for the social aspect and building cohesion among the student body.

Find a Planet Fitness near you. The always have smoking deals. I pay $19.99/month for a Black Membership (which is a cool VIP things with a ton of perks).

Thanks for the reply. Im heading out to find one right now and get my membership!!!!

I'm confused. How does being accepted into the HCP make one considered a student if one doesn't receive a Harvard student ID card? From what I can tell, sponsorship candidates not in the diploma program have the same privileges, with the exception of advising, as HES students.

"Requirements
Once you are admitted to the Health Careers Program, you must meet the following requirements to qualify for sponsorship..."

This is taken directly from the website. Thus, it is my understanding that non-admitted students DO NOT qualify for sponsorship. So, that's one HUGE push to be admitted.

Secondly, the ID card really only affords you access to gyms and libraries. Libraries you can get into with your printed class schedule and an ID. And, there are cheaper gyms than Harvard's in the area anyway.

I don't know if we are having a communication impasse, but from what I'm reading it seems to me that you are making synonymous "admitted students" and "diploma candidates."

Admitted students are students that are in the HCP, regardless of diploma-seeking. They are registered, receive a Harvard ID number, and are fully eligible to receive sponsorship based on the criteria set forth for each individual through Dr. Fixsen.

Diploma Candidates are students who have NOT taken ANY pre-requisites before (at any point. ever. which you're hard-pressed to find). The diploma title gets you a little plastic ID card, and it gets you the tiny word "diploma" on your transcripts.

Essentially, the difference between the two students while on campus is that one proves that they attend with an ID card, and the other uses a paper version.

Okay so I live in Dorchester, and I take the train to Harvard obviously. Some of my friends here told me that there is a dangerous part of dorchester, but I haven't seen anything. However, after hearing this, I shut my windows at night when I sleep. Is there s dangerous part haha?

If I wasn't completely dependent on Boston's T, which ends far too early, to get me back to my apt, I'd be @ queens head after my study sessions everyday with a Magic Hat in hand.

Same reason I won't be able to make it to the 1/2 marathon (unless somebody has a ride from Quincy, eheh?).

We can do carpooling. If you're still interested, PM me and I'll send you my email and we'll discuss the logisitics.

Also, I'm at the whim of the T, too. I'm in Malden and it sucks making an hour commute.

Relative to the rest of Boston, Dorchester is dangerous. I personally have never been there but every time I read about some shooting it takes place in dorchester or roxbury or some other sketchy place like that. Sorry if you are already moved in. Maybe there is a part that is safer .... this map might help ....

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2009_murders_in_boston/

Oh damn crap. No wonder why it was so cheap lol. ahahaaaa $500 for room and all utilities included. Crap!!!!one of my friends who did the program lived here too, and there are a bunch of UMASS students around me. I don't know.
Maybe I can live my high school dream now, and wear a kevlar vest like 50 cent!!!

Last edited:
Im right next to the JFK/UMASS
so I guess I will just hit the trains, and try to just stay out of dorchesters shopping areas. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

"Requirements
Once you are admitted to the Health Careers Program, you must meet the following requirements to qualify for sponsorship..."

This is taken directly from the website. Thus, it is my understanding that non-admitted students DO NOT qualify for sponsorship. So, that's one HUGE push to be admitted.

Secondly, the ID card really only affords you access to gyms and libraries. Libraries you can get into with your printed class schedule and an ID. And, there are cheaper gyms than Harvard's in the area anyway.

I don't know if we are having a communication impasse, but from what I'm reading it seems to me that you are making synonymous "admitted students" and "diploma candidates."

Admitted students are students that are in the HCP, regardless of diploma-seeking. They are registered, receive a Harvard ID number, and are fully eligible to receive sponsorship based on the criteria set forth for each individual through Dr. Fixsen.

Diploma Candidates are students who have NOT taken ANY pre-requisites before (at any point. ever. which you're hard-pressed to find). The diploma title gets you a little plastic ID card, and it gets you the tiny word "diploma" on your transcripts.

Essentially, the difference between the two students while on campus is that one proves that they attend with an ID card, and the other uses a paper version.

I get the difference between the two. My point is there are no perks to being admitted to the HCP; all HES students receive a Harvard ID #.

I get the difference between the two. My point is there are no perks to being admitted to the HCP; all HES students receive a Harvard ID #.

Actually their sponsorship letter is valuable, and I don't think it hurts to get one. In fact, chances are better of getting into medical school. Now I heard, but someone can correct me if I am wrong, the requirements for sponsorship includes getting at least a 30 MCAT score, and a certain HCP GPA (im not certain I think it is 3.6). That is tough to get at Harvard. However, I am sure everyone here is going to be studying their ass off!!!!

At the same time, if one gets phenomenal grades at HES without being a part of the program, a great mcat score, and everything else, Im sure that person would get into medical school. Essentially, the reason we are all here is to get into medical school.

Let's see if I can answer all three of your queries in one go.

Ok. The perk to being an "accepted" student (meaning that you're part of the HCP, but not necessarily a diploma candidate--i.e. you've already taken a pre-req or two) is that you qualify for some form of financial aid and DO have access to certain areas of campus with a Harvard ID number. You're considered a student.

Sorry, I was typing from my phone before, so I was limited in my ability to edit and type. I'm strictly referring to this paragraph; there's no perk to being an accepted student--all HES students receive a Harvard ID number. So even if you weren't accepted into the HCP, you would receive one. Obviously sponsorship is the reason why we apply to get into the HCP if we aren't a diploma candidate, so that goes without saying. Since we don't have the perk of a plastic student ID card, we don't have access to certain areas of the campus such as some libraries and the gym, and that's disappointing.

Actually their sponsorship letter is valuable, and I don't think it hurts to get one. In fact, chances are better of getting into medical school. Now I heard, but someone can correct me if I am wrong, the requirements for sponsorship includes getting at least a 30 MCAT score, and a certain HCP GPA (im not certain I think it is 3.6). That is tough to get at Harvard. However, I am sure everyone here is going to be studying their ass off!!!!

At the same time, if one gets phenomenal grades at HES without being a part of the program, a great mcat score, and everything else, Im sure that person would get into medical school. Essentially, the reason we are all here is to get into medical school.

The requirements are different for each person based upon their academic history. Harvard wants to maintain it's reputation so it will ONLY offer sponsorship to students whom they believe will be competitive applicants. If you have stellar undergraduate grades, the requirements are less strict. If you didn't take undergrad as seriously, Harvard will make you work.

And, you're right. The letter they write is incredibly valuable. The HCP program is highly recognized and known by every admissions committee out there. In fact, upon applying for research positions, the HCP on my resume ALWAYS comes up as a talking point.

Also, if you go through the HCP and DO NOT get a sponsorship level, you'd better believe you will be asked about it during prospective med school interviews. They all know there's a letter to be had. And they all want to see that you decided to strive for it.

Bottom line, if you're going to take classes at Harvard, why not just be part of the program? Otherwise, do it at your closest community college--they afford you the same thing.

Sorry, I was typing from my phone before, so I was limited in my ability to edit and type. I'm strictly referring to this paragraph; there's no perk to being an accepted student--all HES students receive a Harvard ID number. So even if you weren't accepted into the HCP, you would receive one. Obviously sponsorship is the reason why we apply to get into the HCP if we aren't a diploma candidate, so that goes without saying. Since we don't have the perk of a plastic student ID card, we don't have access to certain areas of the campus such as some libraries and the gym, and that's disappointing.

Have you been around campus?? I think I only DON'T have access to one of them. I can get into the Law Library, Math Library, Undergrad Library, and on down the line.

And I'm paying less for the gym by my house than I would at Harvard with a card.

so, really, the only perk that comes with the plastic card is having the opportunity to throw it in the recycling bin at the end of the program.

Bottom line, if you're going to take classes at Harvard, why not just be part of the program? Otherwise, do it at your closest community college--they afford you the same thing.

The reason I don't want to do it is because its like 600 to 800 dollars to get sponsorship, and I just don't have that money sitting around!!!!Also, im already getting a rec letter from my mentor who is on the executive admissions committee at the med school of the university i went to (its top 10 school), so I don't know if its really a big deal to also get sponsorship. Don't you think that would be too much? two research recs, 2 science recs, volunteer rec, non-science rec, and then a sponsorship letter!!!! Hold on, beachblondie, are you like a TA or do you work at HCP with Fixsen? :)

Well, community college grades don't mean anything, especially if you went to a good university for undergrad. my mentor told me it would look really bad. I just need to get a set of A's in sciences. Does the program offer any financial assistance for the sponsorship letter?

Hi all! Just wanted to make myself known; I've been lurking around here for a while and figured it would be nice to meet some of my classmates. I'm taking physics and gen chem this semester, so if you see me there (or anywhere, really) feel free to stop me and introduce yourself!

Does anyone else have sections on Wednesday nights?

Well, community college grades don't mean anything, especially if you went to a good university for undergrad. my mentor told me it would look really bad. I just need to get a set of A's in sciences. Does the program offer any financial assistance for the sponsorship letter?

Yes. You have to discuss it with Fixsen.

And, no. I'm not a part of the HCP office.

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/programs/perks.jsp;jsessionid=CJOPDEENHKOH

This page lists some of the perks diploma candidates receive that we don't. I think that's BS; if we're accepted into the program, we should receive the same benefits.

Ok, look. I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here or anything. I'm just trying to help people make an informed decision. The benefits page? I can DO 95% OF THESE as an HCP student.

I was going to go down and affirm them for you individually, but I have studying to do. Replace "with your ID card" with "registration or class schedule" and it's the same thing! I get discounts, I get lab access, I can go into libraries, I have advising, I can obtain career counseling, I can use tutoring, and so forth. About the only thing on this list that's blocked from me is a business card....which is semi superfluous.

My biggest concern here is that all of your research is being done via the website, and that is incredibly inefficient. If you talk to current and past students, you'll find it all to be contrary to the case.

Good luck.

Benefits before you are admitted to the program
By registering for a course, you are eligible to use a number of resources through the Extension School, such as:

State-of-the-art computer labs
Writing and math tutoring
Career, academic, and graduate school workshops
Computer software and hardware discounts
Access to approximately 3,000 databases and journals through the Harvard Libraries Portal
Details can be found in the Resources and Benefits section.

Benefits after you are admitted
Priority registration
Program candidates have the privilege of enrolling in classes before the general population. See the calendar for dates.

ID card privileges
As a candidate in a program, you receive a photo ID card that opens the doors to the following benefits.

World-class libraries
With your student ID, you may use many Harvard libraries.

Arts and entertainment
Harvard’s renowned museums include 3 art museums and 4 research centers and are free with your ID card.
Office for the Arts at Harvard programs enable Harvard students to explore an art form in depth and to work directly with professional artists in a wide range of classes, workshops, and apprenticeships.
American Repertory Theatre offers tickets for 5 plays for just $60 when you present your ID at the box office.
Discounts
As a registered candidate, you can purchase athletic privileges at a discount (see the athletics website), open a Crimson Cash debit account for on- and off-campus purchases, get help with your apartment or home-buying searches with the Harvard Real Estate Services, and dine on campus with ease.

Student employment
Using your Harvard ID card, you can search for non-workstudy jobs—such as research and library positions—at the Student Employment Office.

Business cards
If you are currently registered in courses or are pursuing a thesis or internship, you may order business cards with the Harvard Extension School official shield through Harvard’s Mail Communication Center. You must be in good academic standing with no disciplinary action or charges pending.

Example of degree representation on card: Harvard University Extension School, Master of Liberal Arts (ALM), Biotechnology, Concentration: Bioinformatics

Only your Extension School degree candidacy information may be printed on the card. Previous degrees or professional designations will not be authorized.

To order cards, visit the Mail Services website and fill out the Extension School order form.

Program and academic advising
Your program staff is here to guide you, providing advice on choosing courses and fulfilling requirements.

In addition, Harvard’s Bureau of Study Counsel provides academic counseling to a limited number of candidates on a referral basis. Find information at Study Skills and Tutoring.

Career services
The Office of Career Services (OCS) helps you identify career options and develop résumé-writing, job-search, and interviewing skills. The OCS also provides access to a number of resources, such as the reading room and a variety of databases containing alumni contact information and internship listings. Additionally, candidates and alumni can set up appointments for career counseling. Visit the Career Services section to learn more about how OCS can help you in your career search.

Additionally, the Career and Academic Resource Center offers free academic, career, and graduate school workshops.

Harvard University housing
Full-time master’s degree candidates who are currently registered in courses are eligible to live in Harvard University Housing. See the Harvard Real Estate Services website to fill out an application.

Harvard Extension Student Association
The Harvard Extension Student Association (HESA) is the umbrella organization for all student groups at the Extension School. Program candidates are voting members of HESA, and many of the organization’s events and activities are open to all Extension School students. Visit the HESA website.

Beyond graduation
Harvard Extension Alumni Association
Alumni can attend the many events sponsored by the Harvard Extension Alumni Association (HEAA). These events are often free and open to all HEAA and HESA members. Look forward to stimulating colloquiums and lectures by fellow alumni and thought-leaders, banquets that welcome new alumni and honor others, and fun sunset or island cruises. For information about upcoming events, see Alumni.

Harvard Alumni Association
Alumni of the Harvard Extension School also have access to the benefits of the Harvard Alumni Association (HAA). The HAA is the official alumni association of Harvard University, and it sponsors events, continuing education opportunities, and activities around the world. To find out more, visit the HAA website.

That pretty much answers all my questions!!
Is anyone volunteering at any free clinics or hospitals? I would like to get involved in something like that. Please give me tips. I have tried googling free clinics in Boston, but for some reason it just keeps giving me these private companies like Harvard Vanguard

Haha, yeah, that's annoying. And most hospitals aren't friendly for working people, but there's a few. Newton Wellesley is a good choice and often have open spots anytime during the week. I'm volunteering in ER radiology on the weekend right now.

Thanks for clearing that up, BeachBlondie. I'm glad to hear we have access to career services, student employment, the alumni association, etc.

I used to volunteer at Mass General Hospital. It's right on the red line, three stops from Harvard. I know that they have tons and tons of volunteers so it takes some time to get started (you need to sign up for an orientation, then have an "interview" and then get your TB tests done), but otherwise it's a great place to volunteer.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I just found this forum, which is really great. I am a new HCP student this year, and was wondering if anyone had any early thoughts on the Physics E-1a course so far.

...and did anyone take the summer version of the physics class or hear feedback from anyone who did?

Last edited:
the physics professor is starting to get a tad confusing. I was hoping he would discuss more problems on the book or hws, at least.