Official: Harvard 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Grades are online.

Anyone find out what the Physics II mean is?

Members don't see this ad.

Sundarban1 said:
I have an excellent tutor for chem/physics. I'll pass his information along if anyone is interested. He teaches summer chem/physics at harvard summer school and has TFd each class for years. He's great.

Hey Sundarban, I would love his information. I will be taking chem classes this summer and would love the information. Thanks

Sundarban1 said:
If anyone else is interested in a great chem/physics tutor (he was TF for chem/physics at the extension school for a long time, tutors full time now, taught MCAT review for Princeton Review and Kaplan) just PM me.

Hey Sundarban, please pass along your tutor information. I can be reached via email [email protected].

Members don't see this ad :)
Iain said:
What are you guys doing about accomodation - I am planning on heading out there June/July time - if anyone has a room, or wants to share an apartment let me know.

Hi all, I am taking summer chem and will begin classes this fall. I am looking for someone to room with and for something affordable. Housing costs at harvard are almost as expensive as the tuition. I am not picky or have any preference with the place, but just something within a reasonable distance to public transport and also something affordable.

Here I guess is some important info:

I'm a 24/m, clean, and easy going. Admitted to the HCP and am looking forward to keeping on track and being focused while in school, but also balancing my study life with some fun (Not a party animal by any means).

So if anyone is still looking for a roommate, please let me know. I can be reached via email [email protected]

Check your PM

delete

Last edited:
NtHouse said:
fav. brew at john harvard's...?
any other good places to drink away the hardships of studying? :rolleyes:

Yes--Charlies Kitchen has beer and great food for really cheap.

NtHouse said:
fav. brew at john harvard's...?

I like the nut brown, cause it's fun to say. Same with 'erect image'.

Hey everyone,

I am a little late in the game for applying to a post-bac. I just returned back to the US after volunteering abroad for a year. I would really like to start sooner than later, so is it too late to apply to HES's program? Also, could i take clases a-la-carte, and if yes, how quickly do the classes fill up? I guess I would like to know what are the steps I can take to get into a couple of classes this fall. Also, what restrictions (if any) to Harvard's facilities do HES student's have (mainly library, gym, etc.) I would greatly appreciate anyone's help with this.

Thanks

BobLJ99 said:
Yes--Charlies Kitchen has beer and great food for really cheap.

Don't listen to him. Bobs would not know what a good beer was if it hit him in the face.

Sundarban1 said:
Don't listen to him. Bobs would not know what a good beer was if it hit him in the face.

EXCUSE ME SUNDARBAN (emphasis on Newburg's tone)! I think my taste in beer is slightly more sophisticated than the motor oil you call beer.

MedSchoolHopefu said:
Hey everyone,

I am a little late in the game for applying to a post-bac. I just returned back to the US after volunteering abroad for a year. I would really like to start sooner than later, so is it too late to apply to HES's program? Also, could i take clases a-la-carte, and if yes, how quickly do the classes fill up? I guess I would like to know what are the steps I can take to get into a couple of classes this fall. Also, what restrictions (if any) to Harvard's facilities do HES student's have (mainly library, gym, etc.) I would greatly appreciate anyone's help with this.

Thanks

The classes are open enrollment; you can just sign up and take the courses. Registration does not open until August 18. I had a recent conversation with Dr. Fixsen, the program director and Biology professor, who said the program is rapidly growing in numbers each year, so I do not know how this will affect registration. The chemistry and physics classes were huge at the beginning of last fall, but not sure if the registrar puts a cap for enrollment into these courses.

Concerning privileges, if you are part of the health careers program (have never taken any of the prereqs for medical school) you will be issued an ID card that you can use at all of the Harvard libraries. You will also be able to use the athletic facilities for $50 a semester. If you are not in the HCP, then you can present your registration and gain access to Cabot Library in the Science Center, but I am not sure about the other libraries.

I would call Dr. Fixsen if you have any other questions or if you are interested/eligible for the health careers program.

BobLJ99 said:
EXCUSE ME SUNDARBAN (emphasis on Newburg's tone)! I think my taste in beer is slightly more sophisticated than the motor oil you call beer.

The fact of the matter is that you can only drink alcoholic beverages <2.0% alcohol by volume. This means that you are limited to only one beer (the equivalent of spiked O’Doul’s) when drinking at John Harvard's Brewhouse.

It even comes with a bend-y straw like the kids drink at Friendly's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sundarban1 said:
The fact of the matter is that you can only drink alcoholic beverages <2.0% alcohol by volume. This means that you are limited to only one beer (the equivalent of spiked O’Doul’s) when drinking at John Harvard's Brewhouse.

It even comes with a bend-y straw like the kids drink at Friendly's.

Since you are suffering from memory loss perhaps I should remind you that I did very much enjoy The Demon, which as I recall is 9.6%.

BobLJ99 said:
Since you are suffering from memory loss perhaps I should remind you that I did very much enjoy The Demon, which as I recall is 9.6%.

Children, children, please.

Anyway, when are we going out for brews? I'm free... till about, the night before the first orgo exam. :D

omniatlas said:
Grades are online.

Anyone find out what the Physics II mean is?

82 median

BobLJ99 said:

You enjoyed one sip of my demon, that is. Then you went straight for the golden.. whatever it's called.

prav said:
Children, children, please.

Anyway, when are we going out for brews? I'm free... till about, the night before the first orgo exam. :D

Speaking of demons, what possessed you to take orgo over the summer?

I'll call you Thursday or Friday.

Questions about HES

1. Can you take a Harvard course in another division of the university rather than HES. As an example, could I take a biology course offered to junior biology majors at Harvard College? If so, can this count towards your HES degree? Any limit?

2. Are there HES courses (or scenarios like the one above) where your coursework at HES can be specified as undergraduate?

3. I am looking for a research based master's program at Harvard in any kind of biological science i.e. neuroscience, biophysics, molecular biology, pharmacology, etc that is OUTSIDE of HES. I think with a good research proposal, high GRE, and decent GPA I may get in. Or any program at a comparable institution that includes: Stanford, Columbia, Penn, Hopkins, MIT, and Yale. No other schools. Just a research based master's in a biological science.

Thanks.

I have very fond memories of the Foggy Goggle on Boylston (I think).

Are students who complete the Health Careers Program granted the privilege of visiting Harvard Clubs?

Sundarban1 said:
Speaking of demons, what possessed you to take orgo over the summer?

Oh hell no, I'm free until this FALL when I take orgo. Summers be meant fo' chillin' and martinis.

schafler272 said:
Questions about HES

1. Can you take a Harvard course in another division of the university rather than HES. As an example, could I take a biology course offered to junior biology majors at Harvard College? If so, can this count towards your HES degree? Any limit?

2. Are there HES courses (or scenarios like the one above) where your coursework at HES can be specified as undergraduate?

3. I am looking for a research based master's program at Harvard in any kind of biological science i.e. neuroscience, biophysics, molecular biology, pharmacology, etc that is OUTSIDE of HES. I think with a good research proposal, high GRE, and decent GPA I may get in. Or any program at a comparable institution that includes: Stanford, Columbia, Penn, Hopkins, MIT, and Yale. No other schools. Just a research based master's in a biological science.

Thanks.

Ewwww... what's that odor? Did something die in here or is that just the unpleasant aroma of "New Troll Smell"? :barf:

To the OP, if you really are serious about your questions, I might point out that the top-10 schools you rattled off are primarily interested in granting doctoral degrees, so you may have a tough time finding a research-based Master's program at one of these schools. :luck:

To those of you already in HES & Boston... I'm starting the program in the fall, and I will be in town next Sunday-Wednesday for interviews, etc, etc. Anyone interested in meeting up/having a few of these beers you speak of?? :p

dna111 said:
Are students who complete the Health Careers Program granted the privilege of visiting Harvard Clubs?

You only get privileges (gym access, ID card, etc.) if you are a diploma candidtate. All of this is outlined on thier website by the way. I'm not sure what clubs you are talking about.

prav said:
Oh hell no, I'm free until this FALL when I take orgo. Summers be meant fo' chillin' and martinis.

Tuesday night anyone?

Hello,

just wondering: anybody working full-time and taking three courses at HES? (Besides doing volunteer work, and also having a life).

I contemplate doing that, if possible.

Thanks

redsky said:
Hello,

just wondering: anybody working full-time and taking three courses at HES? (Besides doing volunteer work, and also having a life).

I contemplate doing that, if possible.

Thanks

Not possible

Sundarban1 said:
Not possible
Thank you for your answer.

This may seem fool or obvious for you, but could you elaborate?

I say that because I am currently in my senior year, taking 6 courses per semester, working full time and getting straight A's. I am aware science stuff at Harvard is more demanding than my stupid CS classes, but I thought 3 classes would be ok.

Thanks

redsky said:
Thank you for your answer.

This may seem fool or obvious for you, but could you elaborate?

I say that because I am currently in my senior year, taking 6 courses per semester, working full time and getting straight A's. I am aware science stuff at Harvard is more demanding than my stupid CS classes, but I thought 3 classes would be ok.

Thanks

Surely, assuming you are talking pre req classes with labs:

-1 job at 40hrs/week= 40 hrs of work/week
-3 classes x ~3hrs/class/week= 9hrs of class/week
-3 classes x ~3-9hrs/lab/week= ~9-27 hrs of lab of lab/week
-3 classes x ~3 hrs homework/week= ~9hrs of homework/week
-3 classes x ~1 hrs section/week= ~3 hrs of section/week
-3 classes x ~2-3 hours of reading/note taking/help rooming a week= 6-9 hrs/week

Keep in mind that the hours of class/homework/section/lab/studying/reading/help rooming/etc., are done after work/weekends (if you think 1hr lunch break is enough to do anything productive, don't fool yourself, it's the only time you will have to yourself, period). So, now you have 36-57 hrs of work to do, outside of your 40 hrs of work/week.

You will have lecture 3 nights night a week, so unless you plan on doing anything productive after long 3 hour lectures (and work after 9-10pm) and still hope to function at your job the next day, those 3 nights are out. You will have at least 2-3 labs a week, at least one on the weekend so 2 more nights are out. So, now you are down to less than 24 daylight hours to do 36-57 hrs of work (for an A student). Oh, did you say you wanted a life too? Good luck with that.

Sundarban1 said:
Surely, assuming you are talking pre req classes with labs:

-1 job at 40hrs/week= 40 hrs of work/week
-3 classes x ~3hrs/class/week= 9hrs of class/week
-3 classes x ~3-9hrs/lab/week= ~9-27 hrs of lab of lab/week
-3 classes x ~3 hrs homework/week= ~9hrs of homework/week
-3 classes x ~1 hrs section/week= ~3 hrs of section/week
-3 classes x ~2-3 hours of reading/note taking/help rooming a week= 6-9 hrs/week

Keep in mind that the hours of class/homework/section/lab/studying/reading/help rooming/etc., are done after work/weekends (if you think 1hr lunch break is enough to do anything productive, don't fool yourself, it's the only time you will have to yourself, period). So, now you have 36-57 hrs of work to do, outside of your 40 hrs of work/week.

You will have lecture 3 nights night a week, so unless you plan on doing anything productive after long 3 hour lectures (and work after 9-10pm) and still hope to function at your job the next day, those 3 nights are out. You will have at least 2-3 labs a week, at least one on the weekend so 2 more nights are out. So, now you are down to less than 24 daylight hours to do 36-57 hrs of work (for an A student). Oh, did you say you wanted a life too? Good luck with that.

Thank you, you were very thorough. I forgot about the labs... I guess I will have to take $ummer courses then :/
I have to take my 4 prereqs, plus calculus and english and I was planning to take biochemestry. Everything in 5 semesters (3 springs and 2 falls). Any idea?

Thanks again, that helped greatly.

redsky said:
Thank you, you were very thorough. I forgot about the labs... I guess I will have to take $ummer courses then :/
I have to take my 4 prereqs, plus calculus and english and I was planning to take biochemestry. Everything in 5 semesters (3 springs and 2 falls). Any idea?

Thanks again, that helped greatly.

You've basically got two options: take more time, or dump calc and biochem. I'd opt for the latter, as it'll entail an extra year and open maybe two or three schools to you. If you're dead set on taking them as prep, you can always take them over the glide year (although based on talking to a lot of med students the only class you can take as an undergrad that will give you any advantage as a med student is a thorough anatomy class, which you won't get at HES). So I'd take the prereqs as normal, hit the english over the summer, and take the other two over the glide year.

I just finished my first year, chem and phys, working full time, volunteering, and maintaining some semblance of a life. It's tough, I made it through with A's, but you'd NEVER be able to do it taking three, I don't care if you're Stephen Hawking. The scheduled time requirements will kill you if the academics don't.

And seriously, don't worry about taking biochem or calc. There are very few schools that require it, so unless you've got your heart set on Harvard or Hopkins, you can pass on those prior to submitting your app.

punkindrublic said:
You've basically got two options: take more time, or dump calc and biochem. I'd opt for the latter, as it'll entail an extra year and open maybe two or three schools to you. If you're dead set on taking them as prep, you can always take them over the glide year (although based on talking to a lot of med students the only class you can take as an undergrad that will give you any advantage as a med student is a thorough anatomy class, which you won't get at HES). So I'd take the prereqs as normal, hit the english over the summer, and take the other two over the glide year.

I just finished my first year, chem and phys, working full time, volunteering, and maintaining some semblance of a life. It's tough, I made it through with A's, but you'd NEVER be able to do it taking three, I don't care if you're Stephen Hawking. The scheduled time requirements will kill you if the academics don't.

And seriously, don't worry about taking biochem or calc. There are very few schools that require it, so unless you've got your heart set on Harvard or Hopkins, you can pass on those prior to submitting your app.

Thanks, another very helpful answer.

I wanted Calculus because I didn't want to limit my school choices, but after your message I went to check the MSAR and found out that only the "elite" schools require it. Probably I would not get in them anyway, so I think I will follow your advice and forsake Calculus.

I will be able to start my classes next Spring but I can't start physics or chem because everything starts in fall at HES. What could I take this Spring? Those HES prerequisites are on the way. I can't take biochem or physiology because I need biology first. Is there any way of doing that?

You could look at the web site and see if there are any other science courses available that are offered in the spring. Math/algebra review maybe. Also you could look at other colleges like BU, Northeastern, etc. to see if there are other science courses.

STAT E-102 Introduction to Biostatistics

Is it worth to take it?

Thanks

I'd say so, I haven't taken it here but I have taken it at the graduate level and I can tell you that you will be taking biostatistics in medical school and it is very helpful. If this is the only class that will fit into your schedule I'd go for it.

Hey I was wondering if anyone could advise me on housing. I am in the HES program and will be coming down sometime in september. Any information would be helpful and potential roomates are welcome too. If there is any other additional information that you can provide me about that program that would be great. Is there an orientation session or anything like that? Where are majority of our classes held..are the classes split between campuses or all on the same campus? thanks guys appreciate any info.

docbarry said:
Hey I was wondering if anyone could advise me on housing. I am in the HES program and will be coming down sometime in september. Any information would be helpful and potential roomates are welcome too. If there is any other additional information that you can provide me about that program that would be great. Is there an orientation session or anything like that? Where are majority of our classes held..are the classes split between campuses or all on the same campus? thanks guys appreciate any info.

The next information session is September 15, 6-7:30 pm, Science Center Hall E. The science center is located right in Harvard Square. This is also where a majority of the classes are held (at least all the 4 required courses). There is a map of campus on the extention school website to help you out incase you are not familiar with the area.

In terms of living, most people choose to live near the "red line", which is the subway line that runs right through campus. The closest living areas on the red line are porter square, davis square, harvard square, central square and some parts of somerville. Go to craigslist.boston.com and look for housing in either of those places. Rent varies with how close a walk you are to the subway.

good luck

punkindrublic said:

Well done with that workload, did you have a tutor? Mind if I ask if they were A or A-? I went into the chem final needing about an 88 to get an A and I left hoping I got a 68 to stay within A- territory. That final was ridic. Has anybody seen mcat type questions and how similar are they to that final? Still can't get over that, there were no representative problems of most of the semester, couldn't believe no ph=pka + log a/ha. As to volunteering, how does 1 year at two hospitals sound, 6 hrs/wk?

Thanks

Hi. I have a couple of finacial based questions. I know this is probably better suited for the financial aid thread but I'd like some HES specific input.

Are you taking out loans to pay tuition/living expenses/etc.?
If so, how much per semester?
Are you working in addition? How many hours?

And also, does anyone know the limit for private loans for HES?

Thanks!

PS. Anyone else with English/Sociology BA's and almost no hard science experience? I'm eager, but a bit nervous.

Hey, I just graduated with a BA in sociology and English. Just IM me if you have any questions.

jlr18 said:
I am not enrolled in the post-bacc program, but I have taken several of the science courses at HES, and I can honestly say they have been the best science classes I've ever taken. There is obviously a lot of material, but for the most part the instructors are intelligent and straightforward, and have no intention of playing "games" (ie, sending you to class 5x week for 1 hour, or trying to weed you). Also, they are fully aware that the majority of people enrolled are planning on going to medical school, so they often tailor their lectures to that interest.
I definitely found it much easier to get A's at HES than at any other school.

I have been applying to BU and GT for the master's (want to beef my GPA in case I don't get into med school for 2007), but as my undergrad pre-reqs are rapidly expiring, I may just enroll in the HES program myself...

Can anyone tell me when undergrad pre-reqs expire? :confused: I took chem1 five years ago, and half way through decided to pursue a finance degree, I never withdrew from chem1, finished with a C. Since it's such a low grade, and it was five years ago, can you re-take it? thanks!

katiefl said:
Can anyone tell me when undergrad pre-reqs expire? :confused: I took chem1 five years ago, and half way through decided to pursue a finance degree, I never withdrew from chem1, finished with a C. Since it's such a low grade, and it was five years ago, can you re-take it? thanks!
I've never seen it explicitly stated anywhere that pre-reqs expire, and I hope they don't as some of mine have now reached the 10-year mark :scared:

Yes, you can retake Chem I, but your original attempt will remain on your transcripts and the C will be calculated into your GPA for allopathic medical schools.

microgin said:
I've never seen it explicitly stated anywhere that pre-reqs expire, and I hope they don't as some of mine have now reached the 10-year mark :scared:

I believe pre-reqs expire after 5 years but I'm not 100% sure on the time. I know they expire, for sure since there was a student who had a PhD in Chemistry taking Gen Chem with me because his pre-reqs expired.

AnotherPreM said:
I believe pre-reqs expire after 5 years but I'm not 100% sure on the time. I know they expire, for sure since there was a student who had a PhD in Chemistry taking Gen Chem with me because his pre-reqs expired.

Some schools might have time limits on pre-reqs, but I don't believe it's an across-the-board phenomenon. I do have more recent coursework from my Master's degree, but none of the schools I applied to the first time around had any issues with the shelf-life of my pre-reqs. Perhaps the wisest thing to do would be to inquire at schools that one is interested in applying to.

To the OP, since you didn't finish gen chem the first time around, and a strong knowledge of the material is needed for the MCAT, it would probably be best to retake regardless.

AnotherPreM said:

Pre-reqs do not expire after 5 years. The only medical school that I know of that limits the time in which pre-reqs must be completed before applying to their school is UMass, which is a public school.

Hi all!!
I hope everyone had a great Fourth. I want to invite everyone to the HES Post bacc Pre Med book club starting up this summer. It will be a great time, reading medically-related books, like The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down and Complications . Also, we'll be volunteering by reading to children and the elderly, having books drives, inviting authors to speak, and whatever else we can think of! Come on Monday at 6:30pm at Sever 201 on the Harvard campus, for an informational/brainstorming meeting. Should be a good time!! Hope you all come! Any questions, email [email protected], or PM me. :)

letsgo said:
Hi all!!
I hope everyone had a great Fourth. I want to invite everyone to the HES Post bacc Pre Med book club starting up this summer. It will be a great time, reading medically-related books, like The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down and Complications . Also, we'll be volunteering by reading to children and the elderly, having books drives, inviting authors to speak, and whatever else we can think of! Come on Monday at 6:30pm at Sever 201 on the Harvard campus, for an informational/brainstorming meeting. Should be a good time!! Hope you all come! Any questions, email [email protected], or PM me. :)

Sorry, I can't betray Oprah.