Official: Harvard 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are/have any of you taken additional classes through the extension school while completing your pre-reqs? I'm interested in taking a class in addition to just 2 of the sciences in the fall... Is it doable or advised to avoid?

Members don't see this ad.

We just discussed this on page 10. In brief it is very difficult and otherwise not advised to take 3 classes. While some students do manage to do this, it is certainly not common and for good reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gah... anyone else get the ominous message from the FAS IT dept saying our fas e-mail accounts would expire July 12, since we "no longer have affiliation" to FAS?

I mean, it's not like we can register until August anyway...

Stupid stupid stupid stupid. :mad:

Also, when is it martini time, Sundarbo?? :cool:

prav said:
Gah... anyone else get the ominous message from the FAS IT dept saying our fas e-mail accounts would expire July 12, since we "no longer have affiliation" to FAS?

I heard the only people who got this email were those who failed physics.

Also, when is it martini time, Sundarbo?? :cool:

Any time, you know my number!

Sundarban1 said:

Too bad you guys didn't understand my advanced "bits-per-pits" mathematics.

prav said:
Sundarban1 said:

Too bad you guys didn't understand my advanced "bits-per-pits" mathematics.

We should go out this weekend. Call me Friday and maybe we can get Bob and a few others to get together Saturday night.

Sundarban1 said:
prav said:
We should go out this weekend. Call me Friday and maybe we can get Bob and a few others to get together Saturday night.

Sounds good, I'll re-explain physics to you guys. :p Anyone have a stuffed Curious George doll and an AK-47? :D

Sundarban1 said:
I have an excellent tutor for chem/physics. I'll pass his information along if anyone is interested. He teaches summer chem/physics at harvard summer school and has TFd each class for years. He's great.
Hello Sundarban1,

I'd like to get the name of your tutor - hope that you don't mind the PM.

Thanks!
vliberty

VLiberty said:
Hello Sundarban1,

I'd like to get the name of your tutor - hope that you don't mind the PM.

Thanks!
vliberty

Check your pm

Hey Sundarban,

Would you mind sharing the contact info of your tutor with me also?

Thanks.

Please PM me guys if you are looking for tutor information. Also, a tutor list will come out once the semester starts so don't commit to anyone until school starts.

Are you all in the Harvard HCP? is it just for career changers? or do they accept "academic enhancers" too?!

Members don't see this ad :)
dancingdoctor said:
Are you all in the Harvard HCP? is it just for career changers? or do they accept "academic enhancers" too?!

Check your PM

dancingdoctor said:

Did you get that PM?

prav said:
Sundarban1 said:
Sounds good, I'll re-explain physics to you guys. :p Anyone have a stuffed Curious George doll and an AK-47? :D

The doll can be arranged (thanks to my roommate, who I'm sure wouldn't mind donating him "in the name of science")......you may be on your own as far as the 47 is concerned ;)

Still considering my options for entering Post bacc work fall 2007. Cost has become a really big deal to me but so is looking competitive for med schools. HES more and more looks like a great option, but i have a couple questions:

1- it looks like nearly everyone has a full time job on this thread. What do you guys do that allows you to have time to take courses, volunteer, study, etc. etc. etc. etc....?

2- This might be a bit forward, but what about ages? I've done some significant work in intl health and that's really what i want to do, combining an MD/MPH. However, time is running short because i would be turning 24 during my first year at HES. That puts entering med school around 27 right? 5 years for MD/MPH, 3 year residency (at least)- do the math.

3- saw this discussed a bit, but what about housing? do HES students generally live together?

I think that's all i got... possibly more later if i get crazy.

sfnix said:
1- it looks like nearly everyone has a full time job on this thread. What do you guys do that allows you to have time to take courses, volunteer, study, etc. etc. etc. etc....?

This is not true. I am only one I know that has a full time job in the program. There are a few others I know who are starting next year with full time jobs, but it is not easy, and very few people are able to take 2 classes, work full time, and do well.

2- This might be a bit forward, but what about ages? I've done some significant work in intl health and that's really what i want to do, combining an MD/MPH. However, time is running short because i would be turning 24 during my first year at HES. That puts entering med school around 27 right? 5 years for MD/MPH, 3 year residency (at least)- do the math.

Are you asking about the ages of students here? I'd say the average age is around 26+. There are a few highschool students and older fokes, but a majority are 25-35.

3- saw this discussed a bit, but what about housing? do HES students generally live together?

We don't live together, we just drink and cry together. In all seriousness since we are not offered housing we are really spread out in cambridge between Davis, Porter, Harvard, and Central squares. They are the closest places to live to campus while being able to take the subway to school/work/home.

Sundarban1 said:
This is not true. I am only one I know that has a full time job in the program. There are a few others I know who are starting next year with full time jobs, but it is not easy, and very few people are able to take 2 classes, work full time, and do well. .

I'm one of those starting this fall with a full-time job. Jury's still out on how I'll be able to survive the year. I'll have Chem & Physics and be working full-time at a Boston hospital--with some volunteering/research thrown in there. Definitely will be one of those in the "drinking and crying" group (see below).

Sundarban1 said:
Are you asking about the ages of students here? I'd say the average age is around 26+. There are a few highschool students and older fokes, but a majority are 25-35. .

Ditto. If you will be 24 when coming into the program, you're going to be one of the younger ones.

Sundarban1 said:
We don't live together, we just drink and cry together. In all seriousness since we are not offered housing we are really spread out in cambridge between Davis, Porter, Harvard, and Central squares. They are the closest places to live to campus while being able to take the subway to school/work/home.

See above comment.

I found that working 15-20 hours maximum was an "optimal level" for me. 40 would be too much for me to handle, along with coursework, lectures, labs, sections and exam prep. 15-20 hrs is enough to "keep me in gear".. i.e. get my ass out of bed each morning.

I am absolutely blessed to have a research job at BIDMC with completely flexible hours, so that helps a lot, too.

Looking forward to doing some drinking/crying with all of you this fall.

thanks for the responses. if i end up in cambridge in about a year, i'll have to join in the debauchery.

The course outline for Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 are on the HES course website. Although the syllabus is still not available, here is what is listed.

Logan S. McCarty, AM, Preceptor in the Physical Sciences, Harvard University.
Course tuition: undergraduate credit $850.
Thursday, Sept. 21, 6-9 pm, Science Center, Hall C. Fall term

This course introduces students to the chemistry of carbon-containing compounds. Organic chemistry is at the heart of biology and medicine: proteins, carbohydrates, fats, and DNA are all organic compounds. Plastics, detergents, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals are also organic compounds. This course introduces basic concepts and covers several classes of organic compounds.

Laboratories (required) meet roughly every other week, Tuesday 7-11 pm or Saturday 9 am-1 pm. Review sessions (highly recommended) meet Sunday 6-7:30 pm or Monday 6-7:30 pm. Discussion sections (highly recommended) meet Tuesday 5-6, 6-7, or 7-8 pm; or Wednesday 5-6 or 6-7 pm. Students choose lab and section assignments on the first day of class. Prerequisite: CHEM E-1a and E-1b, or equivalent preparation in general chemistry. (4 credits)

delete

Last edited:
letsgo said:
Hi all!!
I hope everyone had a great Fourth. I want to invite everyone to the HES Post bacc Pre Med book club starting up this summer. It will be a great time, reading medically-related books, like The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down and Complications . Also, we'll be volunteering by reading to children and the elderly, having books drives, inviting authors to speak, and whatever else we can think of! Come on Monday at 6:30pm at Sever 201 on the Harvard campus, for an informational/brainstorming meeting. Should be a good time!! Hope you all come! Any questions, email [email protected], or PM me. :)

That's a great idea...isn't the next meeting on the 24th?

A bit O/T, but for those who are already in the area/will be moving for classes this fall, Boston's Museum of Science will be hosting Gunther von Hagan's Body Worlds 2 starting July 30th......

http://www.mos.org/bodyworlds/

delete

Last edited:
NtHouse said:
hi guys, i'm a bit lost. i was wondering where we have to go for our ID cards, how we can activate our e-mail (do we get one?), and lastly when and how do we register for classes online? thanks

The answers to all of those questions are on the website. I'd call the registrar's office if you cannot find it.

delete

Last edited:
NtHouse said:
thanks a bunch!

I hope that's not sarcasm, we have enough of that around here.

Sundarban1 said:
This is not true. I am only one I know that has a full time job in the program. There are a few others I know who are starting next year with full time jobs, but it is not easy, and very few people are able to take 2 classes, work full time, and do well.

Are you asking about the ages of students here? I'd say the average age is around 26+. There are a few highschool students and older fokes, but a majority are 25-35.

There will be a lot of crying while in this program; I have become an expert crier (keep your mouth shut Sundarban as I know you will have a wise crack or two)! In all seriousness, you will need to be very focused. Working full-time or part-time and juggling these classes is a huge task. You will not fully understand this until you start.

Last, drinking together is a means of coping. Sundarban has really hardened since entering the program and regularly drinks the John Harvard's motor oil special!

BobLJ99 said:
There will be a lot of crying while in this program

Crying? What crying?
I think you meant to say whining. ;)

AnotherPreM said:
Crying? What crying?
I think you meant to say whining. ;)

No, he meant crying, it's what he's best at.

At least you guys can be happy that Logan is teaching organic this fall. Thats one less class you will have to cry about.

jays2cool4u said:
At least you guys can be happy that Logan is teaching organic this fall. Thats one less class you will have to cry about.

Yeh Jay, didn't you take regular Chem. with him? Give us some feedback as to what we can expect!

Sundarban1 said:
Yeh Jay, didn't you take regular Chem. with him? Give us some feedback as to what we can expect!

We are very happy to have Logan teaching organic. Israel will be our head TF.

Jay, please do share what to expect from Logan. I hear from so many how amazing Logan is yet I really do not know much about him; it seems as though there is this mystique surrounding what to expect. On the first day of orgo, I am sure the lights will dim and Logan will arrive riding an elephant!

BobLJ99 said:
We are very happy to have Logan teaching organic. Israel will be our head TF.

Jay, please do share what to expect from Logan. I hear from so many how amazing Logan is yet I really do not know much about him; it seems as though there is this mystique surrounding what to expect. On the first day of orgo, I am sure the lights will dim and Logan will arrive riding an elephant!

I liked it better when you didn't have a computer. Is there an echo in here?

Unlike Greg, Logan is more of an example-based lecturer. Logan will fill a chalkboard with tons of example problems based on the corresponding chapter(s).

There will probably be a quiz each lecture that tests your knowledge of the material in the previous lecture. He will probably use a version of the "Purple Book" which is analogous to the Logan Notes. This "Purple Book" will become your bible for organic chemistry. To do well on Logan's tests I would review all the quizzes and the "purple book".

The test format for general chemistry followed:
1 question VERBATIM from the Logan notes
A few questions similar to the HW.
The very last question requiring in-depth understanding of the subject and tad bit of intuition.

I felt Logan's test were more than fair and if he follows his same format organic chemistry will not be that bad. If Israel is the head TF for organic he will probably write all the exams and you can throw everything I said out of the window.

Remember: In organic you must never ever ever ever fall behind. Good Luck!

BobLJ99 said:
On the first day of orgo, I am sure the lights will dim and Logan will arrive riding an elephant!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How did you guys find roommates? I want to start this fall, but the cost for housing is stressing me out. I still haven't found a job in Boston. Does anyone need a roommate?
Are there any aparments you would recommend?

nanaschool2000 said:
How did you guys find roommates? I want to start this fall, but the cost for housing is stressing me out. I still haven't found a job in Boston. Does anyone need a roommate?
Are there any aparments you would recommend?

www.boston.craigslist.org

Do most people take Harvard Extension School just as a career changer? Do people do this as a record enhancer? Or are there not enough upper level science courses to do that?

yellowteeth said:
Do most people take Harvard Extension School just as a career changer? Do people do this as a record enhancer? Or are there not enough upper level science courses to do that?

All of the above. Most are >25 years of age and are either changing careers or took some time off of school before deciding to apply to medical school.

Hi guys, first off i'm sorry if i'm posting questions that have been answered before, but I'm stuck and would really appreciate any help about the HEP. My situation is something like this: I just graduated (BS) with a 2.90 sci gpa with a 25mcat and had applied to BU medical sciences program for this fall. I was just notified by the admission there that due to a high number of applicants this year, my chances for getting in this fall were very slim. I was also told that if i didn't get in this fall somebody at the BU admission can take a look at my transcript and can suggest classes at HEP which can help me get in for the spring semester at BU. So all in all if everything works out i'll be taking classes at Harvard for only fall semester and then hopefully get into BU medical sciences program. My questions are:
1. Do i just register for the suggested classes since it is only for a semester or is there a application process i have to go through? what are the deadlines to register?
2. Do the credits from the classes add on to your undergraduate gpa or is it graduate level courses and thus grad gpa?
3. Is there anything else i should be concerned about?

Thanks a million!

maximus07 said:
1. Do i just register for the suggested classes since it is only for a semester or is there a application process i have to go through? what are the deadlines to register?

All of the classes are open to enrollment, you do not need to apply to take classes here. Go here to see a list of courses for the Fall. There you will also find the registration deadline for classes.

2. Do the credits from the classes add on to your undergraduate gpa or is it graduate level courses and thus grad gpa?

Undergraduate

The classes are tough.

maximus07 said:
Hi guys, first off i'm sorry if i'm posting questions that have been answered before, but I'm stuck and would really appreciate any help about the HEP. My situation is something like this: I just graduated (BS) with a 2.90 sci gpa with a 25mcat and had applied to BU medical sciences program for this fall. I was just notified by the admission there that due to a high number of applicants this year, my chances for getting in this fall were very slim. I was also told that if i didn't get in this fall somebody at the BU admission can take a look at my transcript and can suggest classes at HEP which can help me get in for the spring semester at BU. So all in all if everything works out i'll be taking classes at Harvard for only fall semester and then hopefully get into BU medical sciences program. My questions are:

Thanks a million!

Hi Maximus,

There's open enrollment for Harvard Extension School courses and registration starts later this month (not sure of the date off hand). If you'd like to do the Health Careers Program for sponsorship then technically you have to apply (short app, $100 fee) and I've heard they accept close to 90%. Sponsorship includes a committee recommendation letter for when you apply to medical school if you fulfill all of their requirements (ie certain number of credit hours depending on your gpa, and a 30+ MCAT if your gpa is below 3.0). If you're not interested in any of that then you can save the $100 and just register for class.

I've heard that BU's Masters program is great but you should consider whether or not you want to take graduate courses because they will do nothing to help your 2.90 undergraduate gpa. I'm in a similar position and I decided that a masters program isn't the best choice for me - I'd rather apply to medical school with a 3.2 gpa than a 2.9 and a master's degree. Master's degrees are great if you're hovering in the low 3.0's and want to do something to improve your application but, in my opinion, not as important as getting over that 3.0 hump if you haven't already. Obviously this is debatable and there's no right answer but it's something to consider. Oh, and to answer your second question, extension school courses should add to your undergraduate gpa. I'm not sure what graduate courses are offered, if any.

thanks a lot guys...this forum is really helping me plan my next few years out. Keep these suggestions coming. Thanks again

hey guys so i've decided i'm gonna take 3 courses this fall semester which will bring my science gpa over 3.00 and then apply for BU masters program for spring. Can u guys recommend me any easy/moderate undergraduate level bio classes (I've taken all the pre-reqs at undegraduate so just looking at advanced bio classes). The reason why i ask this is becuase i will be taking the january MCAT so would like as much free time as possible. I really appreciate all the help. Thanks!

There is an HIV/AIDS course that is pretty cool, there are no easy courses here.

Okay...FINALLY... it's been awhile since I've posted, but now I'm here in Cambridge getting ready for classes. Gotta say, finding a decent real estate agent was a trip. In the end I didn't end up having to pay an agency fee. If anyone wants a more in-depth description of certain shady agencies to stay away from (ARE--clue), let me know.

I now live between Harvard and Porter Square in the most expensive per sq foot apt in the known universe. :D Thank heaven for student loans. The area is great and the few bars that I've been to were really cool. Specifically I've been to Cambridge Common and saw a Jazz show at the Charles Hotel--perhaps tonight I'll hit up TT the Bears Place in Central. Anyone else have the scoop on some cool places around Cambridge or Boston? (Preferably along the Redline).

Anyway, a special thanks goes out to Sundarban for hooking me up with my tutor. THANKS, MAN!!! Worth every penny. :thumbup: I will be enrolling in Chem/Phys first semester, so if there's anyone else in the same boat, or if you just want to meet, let me know!!