Official: Harvard 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobLJ99

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Sundarban! Thought I would beat you to the punch of starting the new thread :) . Anywho, I am off to study for chem!

Members don't see this ad.

BobLJ99 said:
Hey Sundarban! Thought I would beat you to the punch of starting the new thread :) . Anywho, I am off to study for chem!

Err. :rolleyes:

..::nobody post here::..

Hey, how's everybody's personal inventory coming along? Almost done?

Members don't see this ad :)
Started working on it..should be done in the next few weeks..

how about anyone else?

What classes is everyone taking this semester?

Still waiting for grades :(

exigente chica said:
Started working on it..should be done in the next few weeks..

how about anyone else?

What classes is everyone taking this semester?

Still waiting for grades :(

I'll be done with the essay portion of the personal inventory within the next two weeks also, but the recommendations I need to collect are going to take some time. I am thinking of using my recommendations from the first time I applied to med school if things comes to worse.

I am taking Biochem II, Cell Biology, and Topics in Microbiology this semester, as well as examkracker's MCAT prep.

Yeah, I can't believe it takes this long to release grades. I am in suspense over my Neurobio grade, B+ or A-?

shkmiami said:
I'll be done with the essay portion of the personal inventory within the next two weeks also, but the recommendations I need to collect are going to take some time. I am thinking of using my recommendations from the first time I applied to med school if things comes to worse.

I am taking Biochem II, Cell Biology, and Topics in Microbiology this semester, as well as examkracker's MCAT prep.

Yeah, I can't believe it takes this long to release grades. I am in suspense over my Neurobio grade, B+ or A-?

Good luck.

For the micro topics class, how do we get to Longwood Medical?

Is there a shuttle or have to take the train/bus? What room is the class being held in?

exigente chica said:

Is there a shuttle or have to take the train/bus? What room is the class being held in?

I think the 47 bus in cambridge goes to longwood. Check the mbta website.

exigente chica said:

I'm taking that class. It is held at Brigham and Women's Hospital Bornstein Family Amphitheater, which is 2nd Floor of Pike. Personally, I am taking the 65 bus route down there, starting at Harvard Sq & Garden St (Dawes Island) and ending at Huntington Ave opposite of Fenwood rd. Since this will be my first time ever using Boston's public transit system, I am going there extra, extra early.

Hey, How long does it take to get an acceptance letter from HES? And for certificate seeking students, how long does it take to complete the program?

docbarry said:
Hey, How long does it take to get an acceptance letter from HES? And for certificate seeking students, how long does it take to complete the program?

shouldnt be very long, as for completing the diploma program, depends how bright you are, most people spend 2 years at 2 classes per sp/fa semesters

how badly is having a 3.36 undergrad going to hurt me? and not only that i have a lot of withdrawals, its a pretty messy transcript, i got an A- in chem-e1a and im hoping to take the ems class over the summer, im in the certificate program

Morb said:
shouldnt be very long, as for completing the diploma program, depends how bright you are, most people spend 2 years at 2 classes per sp/fa semesters

how badly is having a 3.36 undergrad going to hurt me? and not only that i have a lot of withdrawals, its a pretty messy transcript, i got an A- in chem-e1a and im hoping to take the ems class over the summer, im in the certificate program

eh, A- messy? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that Van De Graaf machine have to be so phallic?

prav said:
Does that Van De Graaf machine have to be so phallic?

Does prav have to use MCAT verbal words before 2007?

well, at least electrons didn't "shoot out the top" like the diagram suggested

prav said:

I like to think of star wars in lecture, makes it easier to follow. Here's an example. I see Dr. R as obi wan with his little white light saber, The Van de Graff is R2, Doug is Chewy, and Newberg is Darth Vader. Picture the classroom as the millenium falcon and we are traveling towards the death star. Everything is easier to learn in outter space. Try it. :idea:

prav said:

you bring back the memories when i was in art history class and i would have sexual connotations for every artwork, that was kind of the only wait to remember stuff when you had like 500 pieces w/ dates & times to learn.

i have a feeling medschool is going to be exactly the same way...

omniatlas said:
eh, A- messy? :rolleyes:

my undergrad i meant, rife with withdrawals, i was even dropped for poor scholarship, i petitioned for a retroactive withdrawal, i got back to 3.35, i sent an email to a pharmacy school, and one of the first things she said was the average applicant had.... and no withdrawals

Morb said:
my undergrad i meant, rife with withdrawals, i was even dropped for poor scholarship, i petitioned for a retroactive withdrawal, i got back to 3.35, i sent an email to a pharmacy school, and one of the first things she said was the average applicant had.... and no withdrawals

a W looks a hell of a lot better than an F.

jays2cool4u :cool:

jays2cool4u said:
a W looks a hell of a lot better than an F.

jays2cool4u :cool:

25 W's? ive been scouring med school sites and forums, every answer is the same, one or two not bad, a pattern and youre screwed, its shows poor planning, poor problem solving etc, im not looking for excuses to quit but where is the line between perseverance and foolhardy? then i look back at my 12 year on and off, dropped for poor scholarship, retroactive withdrawal undergrad BA and say am i doing it again with the poor planning, or is this a problem i failed to solve? i can make it through HES, question is will it be time wasted, and i dont know about you guys but i study constantly

Sundarban1 said:
I like to think of star wars in lecture, makes it easier to follow. Here's an example. I see Dr. R as obi wan with his little white light saber, The Van de Graff is R2, Doug is Chewy, and Newberg is Darth Vader. Picture the classroom as the millenium falcon and we are traveling towards the death star. Everything is easier to learn in outter space. Try it. :idea:

that might be one of the most brilliant things ever.... :thumbup: :thumbup:

also, why does Tucci remind me of Opie (ron howard) from Happy Days?

prav said:
that might be one of the most brilliant things ever.... :thumbup: :thumbup:

also, why does Tucci remind me of Opie (ron howard) from Happy Days?

LOL. You guys are too much.

Hey Morb, keep your head up! Where there's a will, there's a way. Perhaps you may consider an SMP program to strengthen your record and assist you in overcoming any bias that may be associated with all the W's on your transcript. I think getting through the rigors of an SMP program may quell some doubts from certain admissions committees.

BobLJ99 said:
LOL. You guys are too much.

Hey Morb, keep your head up! Where there's a will, there's a way. Perhaps you may consider an SMP program to strengthen your record and assist you in overcoming any bias that may be associated with all the W's on your transcript. I think getting through the rigors of an SMP program may quell some doubts from certain admissions committees.

you mean after HES? i dont want to quit, but its tough staying strong, i have an email to owen p

Morb said:
you mean after HES? i dont want to quit, but its tough staying strong, i have an email to owen p

Yes, after HES. I was talking about SMP programs such as Georgetown or Boston University. They have helped a lot of people get into medical school. I may even chose that route after HES.

Hi all,

I am new to this site -- what a great resource! I am taking Human Physiology II at HES after many years away from science courses, with a view to thinking about med school. Has anyone taken Human Phys I or II? Can you tell me anything about the structure and difficulty of the exams? I've done a search of past threads on this subject, to no avail.

Thanks for your help!

YAY, I just got notified I was accepted to Harvard's Post-Bac Program. :)
I wondered if anyone is there now and can tell me more about it - how difficult the courses are, and if anyone knows what the acceptance rate is to med school of those who go to HES/HCP? Thank you

Beth

BobLJ99 said:
Yes, after HES. I was talking about SMP programs such as Georgetown or Boston University. They have helped a lot of people get into medical school. I may even chose that route after HES.

Beth_W737 said:
YAY, I just got notified I was accepted to Harvard's Post-Bac Program. :)
I wondered if anyone is there now and can tell me more about it - how difficult the courses are, and if anyone knows what the acceptance rate is to med school of those who go to HES/HCP? Thank you

Beth

I'd like to know too. One of the advisors at my current school suggested Harvard's program to me. My expenses are tight so I'm going to a local college. She said that Harvard's program is affordable and that I'd have a much better shot at med school.

How affordable is affordable and how tough is it to get in? And once one does get in, how tough are the courses? Would I be better off getting all A's at my current college which has small classes and is probably much easier or going to Harvard and working my ass off for a B (though I'd be shooting for an A of course)?

Gabby said:
I'd like to know too. One of the advisors at my current school suggested Harvard's program to me. My expenses are tight so I'm going to a local college. She said that Harvard's program is affordable and that I'd have a much better shot at med school.

How affordable is affordable and how tough is it to get in? And once one does get in, how tough are the courses? Would I be better off getting all A's at my current college which has small classes and is probably much easier or going to Harvard and working my ass off for a B (though I'd be shooting for an A of course)?

I am a current Health Careers student taking physics and chemistry. I must say after one semester under my belt, these classes are extremely rigorous, but the instruction is phenomenal.

I would definitely recommend the program to anyone willing to work hard because you will definitely have to put forth a ton of work. There is quite a bit of attrition, but if you make it through, medical schools view this program highly.

The prerequisite courses for medical school are $800 per semester. Cost of living in the Cambridge/Boston area is really high. I took out a private loan to help out with that. Getting accepted to the program is not the hard part--finishing with good grades is.

Sorry this is a short post, but I have to run. PM me with any other questions or for further clarification.

Gabby said:
Would I be better off getting all A's at my current college which has small classes and is probably much easier or going to Harvard and working my ass off for a B (though I'd be shooting for an A of course)?

I will share something with you that a surgeon who sits on the adcom at PITT told me. An A at Harvard looks a lot better than an A at your local college. However, a B at Harvard in no way looks better or equivalent to an A at your local college. School reputation carries weight to some degree but the goal is to get A's.

That statement stuck with me and I am now taking classes at the Harvard Extension. Sure, there was the option of staying at my college where classes might have been easier. However, I wanted to surround myself with students that shared common goals. 1.) Most of us are tyring to enhance our gpa's 2.) Most of us work part-time or full-time. 3.) Classes are not graded on a curve so everyone works together, not against.

You have to pick the environment that will be more conducive in yielding the best grades possible. Hope this helps.

Jays2cool4u :cool:

Thank you to you both! Yes, it did help!

Yeah, and those Valentines love ballads in physics, well those are reason enough to attend.. :eek: :rolleyes:

Gabby said:

I am not enrolled in the post-bacc program, but I have taken several of the science courses at HES, and I can honestly say they have been the best science classes I've ever taken. There is obviously a lot of material, but for the most part the instructors are intelligent and straightforward, and have no intention of playing "games" (ie, sending you to class 5x week for 1 hour, or trying to weed you). Also, they are fully aware that the majority of people enrolled are planning on going to medical school, so they often tailor their lectures to that interest.
I definitely found it much easier to get A's at HES than at any other school.

I have been applying to BU and GT for the master's (want to beef my GPA in case I don't get into med school for 2007), but as my undergrad pre-reqs are rapidly expiring, I may just enroll in the HES program myself...

prav said:
Yeah, and those Valentines love ballads in physics, well those are reason enough to attend.. :eek: :rolleyes:

I must admit, I was slightly disappointed by the selection of songs. I was hoping for some monster ballads! It was equally disheartening when Dr. R and Doug did not sing their duet :( .

BobLJ99 said:
I must admit, I was slightly disappointed by the selection of songs. I was hoping for some monster ballads! It was equally disheartening when Dr. R and Doug did not sing their duet :( .

I know, the duet post was mine, too. :(

prav said:
I know, the duet post was mine, too. :(

Wow :eek:

I thought, this guy has more balls than I.

:laugh:

I actually think that the courses are extremelly rigorous and don't often test on what is taught in the lecture. Depending on the class. Most are good..but I still have a sour taste in my mouth about orgo..

Really makes me think how I can explain and know all about orgo, yet my grade says other wise. I feel my grades would be higher if I went to my state school. Ohh well.

But well worth it.

exigente chica said:
I actually think that the courses are extremelly rigorous and don't often test on what is taught in the lecture. Depending on the class. Most are good..but I still have a sour taste in my mouth about orgo..

Really makes me think how I can explain and know all about orgo, yet my grade says other wise. I feel my grades would be higher if I went to my state school. Ohh well.

But well worth it.

I would highly advise against taking organic chemistry at HES. The turnover rate for professors in orgo at HES reminds me of McDonald's. Also, there were some shady things going on last semester, so I hear.

jays2cool4u said:
I would highly advise against taking organic chemistry at HES. The turnover rate for professors in orgo at HES reminds me of McDonald's. Also, there were some shady things going on last semester, so I hear.

Jay,

Could you or anyone else who took organic at HES elaborate on the types of shady events that took place in organic? Thanks.

BobLJ99 said:
Jay,

Could you or anyone else who took organic at HES elaborate on the types of shady events that took place in organic? Thanks.

An un-named administrator said that someone new could be teaching next year. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

Sundarban1 said:
An un-named administrator said that someone new could be teaching next year. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

I had the previous instructor -- she was horrible (teaching does not equal reading off the powerpoint slides +pissed+ ) that I stopped the class 2nd semester. Then I heard she also decided to leave half-way. Go figure :rolleyes:

The only shady activities I know of are the bowls of human cereal being served at the Science Center cafe.

:scared:

[For all you chem e1b people]

BobLJ99 said:
Jay,

Organic is probably the hardest prereq. by far. So, a few kids last semester decided to pay for a "tutor" who is known to solicit their services every semester every year. Along with these "tutoring sessions", this tutor also provided "old" organic tests.

So, you say:"Jay, so what! Many students prepare for exams with old tests. In fact, the aamc even let's you download old MCAT tests for a fee. What's the problem?"

Then, I say:"This is very true. However, how hard would the MCAT be if your practice MCAT was identical to the upcoming april MCAT? ;)

jays2cool4u said:
So, you say:"Jay, so what!"

No, I say: "Jay, what's the "tutor's" name and email address?"

:D

jays2cool4u said:
Organic is probably the hardest prereq. by far. So, a few kids last semester decided to pay for a "tutor" who is known to solicit their services every semester every year. Along with these "tutoring sessions", this tutor also provided "old" organic tests.

So, you say:"Jay, so what! Many students prepare for exams with old tests. In fact, the aamc even let's you download old MCAT tests for a fee. What's the problem?"

Then, I say:"This is very true. However, how hard would the MCAT be if your practice MCAT was identical to the upcoming april MCAT? ;)

yeah i checked my tests from 2004 with the 2005 test and they were pretty similar, albeit a couple changes. i think test 3 was totally different.

btw, how much does your tutor cost? i'm still planning to take O-Chem part II next year.

omniatlas said:
yeah i checked my tests from 2004 with the 2005 test and they were pretty similar, albeit a couple changes. i think test 3 was totally different.

btw, how much does your tutor cost? i'm still planning to take O-Chem part II next year.

Oh man--that is shady. I am not looking forward to ochem next year.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how you all are funding your studies in the HES program? Are you relying on more student loans, personal loans, etc or have you found scholarships/grants? I start classes in the HCP next fall, and I'm looking into financial aid options now (most of the working I'll be doing will be going to cover the crazy cost of living for the area--doesn't leave much for tuition expenses). I've looked through everything on HES's site, as well as through the forums on here. Just wanted to see if those of you who are already taking classes have any additional information/know of something that hasn't already been posted. Thanks!

What are you guys doing about accomodation - I am planning on heading out there June/July time - if anyone has a room, or wants to share an apartment let me know.

How'd the chem exam go?

I'm debating between UMB and HES. Are most of the classes at Harvard night classes? Just curious since I'll need to work full-time.