Official: Harvard 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, most are night classes. As a full time worker myself, beware it is extrememly difficult to do 2 classes at once with a full time job. Most of not all sucessful students work only part time, not not at all due to the rigors of these classes.

Members don't see this ad.

squeakyuk said:
I'm debating between UMB and HES. Are most of the classes at Harvard night classes? Just curious since I'll need to work full-time.

Yes all of the courses are in the evenings... except Human Physiology I and II are on Saturday mornings. :)

Quick question, kinda off topic:

I'm applying for 2006. If I got a C in physics five years ago in college, but got A's and B's in all other science classes, from what you guys know, would I still need a 30+ to get sponsorship?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. Adventure said:
Quick question, kinda off topic:

I'm applying for 2006. If I got a C in physics five years ago in college, but got A's and B's in all other science classes, from what you guys know, would I still need a 30+ to get sponsorship?

Thank you!

Yes

Mr. Adventure said:
oh drat...

The tricky thing is that they don't say this explicitly on the website. However when you get your acceptance letter it will have that caveat. You will get your check back with the letter saying that if you still plan on attending with this new criteria you can re send the check. I would call Peterson or Fixsen to confirm but this is what they did to a lot of students who received less than a B in any of their pre-reqs from prior colleges.

Thanks Sundarban! I did email Peterson, and he said that if my GPA was above a 3.0 (had a 3.3), a single C in one science class (Physics) will not mean a 30+ MCAT to get sponsorship. We'll see what comes out of the application process...

Mr. Adventure said:
Thanks Sundarban! I did email Peterson, and he said that if my GPA was above a 3.0 (had a 3.3), a single C in one science class (Physics) will not mean a 30+ MCAT to get sponsorship. We'll see what comes out of the application process...

Peterson does not sign your accpetance letter. I'd email Fixsen, he sends out the letters and sets the standards as the director, just to be sure.

Sundarban1 said:
Peterson does not sign your accpetance letter. I'd email Fixsen, he sends out the letters and sets the standards as the director, just to be sure.
Roger that, thanks!

what does it mean to be 'sponsored' by harvard for the post-bac course? Do you get some sort of financial aid/discount?

squeakyuk said:
what does it mean to be 'sponsored' by harvard for the post-bac course? Do you get some sort of financial aid/discount?

No, sponsorship is a service they offer where if you are accpeted to the program and meet certain academic criteria, the HES will act as your pre-med committee and write a composite letter when you apply to medical school. You can read more about the HES program and sponsorship requirements here.

I'm attending HES this coming fall. I'm moving from Las Vegas, so if anybody is heading out that way during this summer please let me know. If anybody know of any housing accomodations that'll be available around the summer time i'd greatly appreciate any heads up. I've been looking at craigslist too but i just wanted to see if anybody has any "inside" housing news. Thanks A lot.

Well some good news for anyone who's following my saga. I have a line on volunteer work, a recommendation outside of the HCP team lor and also med school and an eventual residency. Has anyone taken orgo yet and who did you have?

Masse is fa/sp and Procter is summer? Who's better? I've heard the fa/sp version is not so great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took summer Ochem last summer with Prof Proctor and I would say he was an excellent professor and the class is run very well. If you can devote the entire 8 weeks to doing nothing but Ochem you'll be fine. I have a friend that had taken most of the fall/spring Ochem and then had to drop, and since the summer Ochem is only available as the full 8 week/8 unit class he repeated the whole thing (even with a good grade in for fall semester). Anyway, he thought the summer class was presented better.

Diueine said:
Hello Everyone,

I am planning to attend the HES program in 2007. I have some question for which I could not find information in their site or in threads here in the forum.

Diueine

You couldn't find the information on the HES website? Why???
It's all in there. Some classes meet once a week, some (like bio) meet twice a week. Just click on classes and select your class of interest. Then read up on it. :)

Diueine said:
1- I would like to start in the Summer. When are the registration deadlines for starting in Summer?

The summer school is not part of HES, it is part of Harvard College. You must go the Harvard.com to see the summer school schedule. You will be paying 3x as much during the summer to take classes rather than at HES during the year.

2- I know the classes are on the evening, but I didn't understand the class frequency. How many times a week? It seems to be only once per class. Is this correct?

Most of the classes meet 1x a week. Bio meets 2x a week.

3- I didn't take 1 year of English. Cant I take at HES? Would it be the same price ($850)?

Yes

4- I transfered my Calculus I, II and III from a foreign institution, so probably I will retake them. Same question, can I take them at HES? What about the cost?

You should talk to one of the advisors to see if the credits transfer. Otherwise, yes you can take it at HES.

Yes, the 4 required pre med classes are open enrollment so there is no rush to register. If you are taking other classes check the website because some have limited enrollment. I would register before class starts either way because section and lab schedules are confirmed through email and if you are not registered you will not be signed up for lab or sections.

Sundarban1 said:
Yes, the 4 required pre med classes are open enrollment so there is no rush to register. If you are taking other classes check the website because some have limited enrollment. I would register before class starts either way because section and lab schedules are confirmed through email and if you are not registered you will not be signed up for lab or sections.

Don't you have a ray diagram or two to draw?

I'm going to call the thickness of your skull alpha

Sundarban1 said:
The summer school is not part of HES, it is part of Harvard College. You must go the Harvard.com to see the summer school schedule. You will be paying 3x as much during the summer to take classes rather than at HES during the year.

Not true. Summer school is part of Continuing Education, just like the Extension school. The college has nothing to do with Summer School.

The summer school is not part of HES, is what I meant. It is significantly more expensive than HES courses. Thanks for correcting me.

Hey guys, looks like I'll be joining some of you in Sept. I was gonna go the expensive Goucher/Scripps route, but decided against it at the last minute. The cost is definitely right, and I've heard great things about the instruction. (Minus the orgo stuff...any info on that special tutor?) After being in the USMC for the last four years and travelin' the world, being at school will be a welcome change. Can't wait...

I have a question about HES students that have been accepted to medical school after completing the progam. Do these people have a higher undergraduate GPA from their previous instituion? Would someone who has a lower undergraduate (<3.3) GPA but did exceptionally well at HES, be less competive than a person whom did much better as an undergraduate (>3.3) and did ok at HES? What would hold more weight a stronger undergrad or a stronger postbacc?

delete

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a prepatory math course previous to physics? I am chem e1a/b currently and learning algebra through chem has not been easy. I am looking to take the course at some nearby community college for a better price. Any recommendations on which course to take (algebra, trig or geometry) and possibly at which institution?

Thanks

Morb said:
Any recommendations for a prepatory math course previous to physics? I am chem e1a/b currently and learning algebra through chem has not been easy. I am looking to take the course at some nearby community college for a better price. Any recommendations on which course to take (algebra, trig or geometry) and possibly at which institution?

Thanks

You really don't need to take a whole math course unless you have never taken math before and need the credit to apply to medical school. The summer before I started bought the math review book recommended in the physics syllabus "Shaums outline of basic mathmatics for science and technology". It's a great book and really prepares you well for the level of math in this course.

Sundarban1 said:
You really don't need to take a whole math course unless you have never taken math before and need the credit to apply to medical school. The summer before I started bought the math review book recommended in the physics syllabus "Shaums outline of basic mathmatics for science and technology". It's a great book and really prepares you well for the level of math in this course.

I seem to recall you taking math last summer or before. I have algebra and stat and a probability class but never have had trig or geometry. I know some colleges require calc. I have the shaum text btw. I know I could get through without but I thought this might make it easier on me.

Morb said:
I seem to recall you taking math last summer or before. I have algebra and stat and a probability class but never have had trig or geometry. I know some colleges require calc. I have the shaum text btw. I know I could get through without but I thought this might make it easier on me.

Yeh, I took pre calc but even that was really more in depth than what is required to do well in this class. If you review plots and graphs in shaums, you will be ahead of the game for sure. Dr. Rueckner loves to use graphical analysis in class and lecture can get confusing at times if you cannot follow sinusoidal functions and such.

For each physics homework assignment (especially second semester) there are usually 1 or 2 involved problems that require mild to tedious math to complete. If you review the basic algebra, trig and geometry in shaums, you will be good to go for sure. The exams are not math intensive at all, as opposed to some of the homework questions. There is very basic required knowledge of geometry and trig when drawing force diagrams, etc. so its important to know the basics down pat, because they already assume you know that much (more geometry and trig). There is even a math review on the website for physics if you havent seen it. Otherwise, I do not think you will need to actually take a math class. The physics course it taught more towards understading concepts than honing your math skills.

Diueine said:
Hello everybody,

has anyone taken the Math Placement Test?
I would like to take Calculus (MATH E-15) and I will need to have a Satisfatory Test... I don't know what I should expect.
I looks like it's a general test, and depending how well you do you will be sugested to take such and such courses. I just wanted to have an idea about the content and difficulty.

Thanks

Diueine

Hi Diueine. I took the placement exam last year for calculus I and II over the summer and the exam was pretty challenging. It is a timed test, which makes it more difficult. I studied a lot of pre-calc material especially trigonometric identities and functions. You aree allowed three attempts at passing and must place for certain courses such as Math E-1a and E-1b. I am sure the same applies to many other upper level math courses. Hope that helps.

I will be starting my post-bac at Harvard this Fall and I was looking for people starting around the same time. Maybe some of us could get together. It would be nice to have people in the same boat to study with or to help with med school questions. I live really close to Harvard Sq. so I would be happy to try to organize something. If anyone is interested let me know. - Bonnie

Sundarban1 said:
The physics course it taught more towards understading concepts than honing your math skills.

So, I guess the 4 open response questions you choose tomorrow are going to be more about understanding concepts than math (68% of your grade). I thought both were equally important.

Jays2cool4u :cool:

jays2cool4u said:
So, I guess the 4 open response questions you choose tomorrow are going to be more about understanding concepts than math (68% of your grade). I thought both were equally important.

My point is, since you clearly misunderstood my explanation, that the math required to complete the open ended questions on the exams is minimal to some of the homework questions. As a matter of fact, most people find the concept questions (32% of your grade) the toughest part of the exam because they truely test your understanding of concepts, not math.

If you or anyone has tried the past exams you will see that the math is very simple, providing you UNDERSTAND THE UNDERYLING CONCEPTS required to setup the problem correctly.

This is true for circuit analysis, magnetism, etc. Also, the syllabus explains very clearly that the focus of the course is understanding concepts, not just plugging numbers into equations blindly.

Thanks for trying to add something helpful to this thread, but I think you failed. Better luck on the exam today ;)

Sundarban1 said:
Thanks for trying to add something helpful to this thread, but I think you failed. Better luck on the exam today ;)

I'm not taking the exam. Good luck.

delete

Last edited:
Does this program have a rolling admissions policy? I.e. can I still apply for admission for Fall 2006? I was admitted to Columbia's program, but am now interested in Harvard. Thx!

OlyUCLA said:
Does this program have a rolling admissions policy? I.e. can I still apply for admission for Fall 2006? I was admitted to Columbia's program, but am now interested in Harvard. Thx!

No, there is no rolling admissions so you can apply any time before classes begin.

jays2cool4u said:
I'm not taking the exam. Good luck.

It was very concept based, you would not have done well anyway.

Sundarban1 said:
My point is, since you clearly misunderstood my explanation, that the math required to complete the open ended questions on the exams is minimal to some of the homework questions. As a matter of fact, most people find the concept questions (32% of your grade) the toughest part of the exam because they truely test your understanding of concepts, not math.

If you or anyone has tried the past exams you will see that the math is very simple, providing you UNDERSTAND THE UNDERYLING CONCEPTS required to setup the problem correctly.

This is true for circuit analysis, magnetism, etc. Also, the syllabus explains very clearly that the focus of the course is understanding concepts, not just plugging numbers into equations blindly.

It seems that you have missed my point that the underyling concepts and math are equally important. Dr. Rueckner seems to agree that they are equally important also.

Math preparation

2. That you need to have solid math skills for physics should go without saying, yet many students seem to think they’ll somehow be able to get by with weak math skills. Don’t fool yourself...the mathematical symbols should conjure up physical concepts and relations if you hope to truly learn some physics...As with any new language, this takes time and training and you must have the prerequisite math skills to embark on this training program.

Problem solving

19. You must understand the concepts and theory absolutely thoroughly to solve problems successfully. However, just knowing the theory is useless if you can't apply it to solve problems. A common refrain is: "I know the theory, I just can't solve the problems."

Taken from the physics E-1b Website . Click syllabus, then click how to succeed in this course.

If you can find anywhere in the syallbus where Dr. Rueckner explicitly puts more weight on the concepts than the math I'll give you a million dollars. You must have a sound understanding in both in order to succeed in physics.

NtHouse said:
hey Bonnie, I'm starting in the fall too. Heading out to Cambridge to check out the area next week with the fam. Really interested to start a study group when classes begin. Hope we can rally more people!

I'll be there in the fall. Count me among the chosen ones. ;)

#1.) The fact that this course has an emphasis in learning physics concepts rather than math is all throughout the syllabus but I'll entertain that challenge nonetheless.

I will pick up with your half quote of page 9 of the "50 suggestions" handout, which reads; "You MUST understand the concepts and theory absolutely thouroughly to solve problems sucessfully. However knowing they theory is useless if you can't apply it to solve problems."

Somehow you imply that the missing link is math, however if you take the time to read a few sentences below, it continues: "The source of the furstration is...the student must not only UNDERSTAND the THEORY AND CONCEPTS but be able to apply them to new situations. Applying general principles to decipher a puzzle in some altogether new and specific situation requires sound logical thinking, and that's the hard part that makes physics different...ON THE EXAM YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BE ASKED TO SIMPLY WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNED...RATHER, YOU'RE GOING TO BE ASKED TO FIGURE OUT PUZZLES USING WHAT YOU'VE LEARNED...YOU MUST PRACTICE THE APPLICATION OF PRINCIPLES AND THAT WILL CURE YOUR FRUSTRATION AILMENTS."

If that is not enough I will go back to the beginning..

Page 1, "Course Philosophy": Physics has a reputation of being mathematical and hard to understand. WE WILL USE ONLY THOSE MATHEMATICAL METHODS NECESSARY TO STATE PRINCIPLES ACCURATELY

...Page 6, "Exams": The purpose of the exams is the evaluate and assess your progress in the course. ONE THIRD OF EACH EXAM WILL CONSIST OF CONCEPTUAL MC QUESTIONS...EXAMINATIONS ARE DESIGNED TO TEST YOUR ABILITY TO THINK.

Page 4 of the grading guidelines, notice that each description of the homework grading focuses on how "The underlying concept" of the problem is conveyed? Notice how there is more emphasis on understanding the problem than being able to do the math in the problem? Yes, maybe you missed that part...

Page 7, continued...What counts is your UNDERSTANDING of the basic physical CONCEPTS and being able to APPLY those CONCEPTS using LOGICAL THINKING PROCESS...

Page 12 of 50 tips, "The end of chapter level 1 problems are such plug and chug problems that WILL NOT APPREAR ON EXAMS. To solve level II and III problems you must UNTERSTAND THE UNDERLYING PRINCIPLES."

The list goes on and on throughout each page. Too much to cite because the word concept is in almost every paragraph.

I suggest reading for the main idea, rather than specific details, it will help you during the MCAT verbal section.

Anyway, I accept small bills, or beer. Whichever you prefer.

#2) As I stated before my advice was, as the syllabus suggests also, to buy the shaums math book. It is complete in the basics needed to do well. I used it to prepare, having not taken math in over 6 years and I've had only one test lower than an A, which was an A-. And unlike you, I've taken every exam. Which, since you want to quote the syllabus, is something Dr. Rueckner highly recommends.

Case in point, the last exam. Basic math, yet all conceptual, and everyone is complaining about how hard it was compared to all of the past exams. Why? Because it was purely concept based. If you did not know how to setup the problem, plugging the numbers does not work.

Understanding basic math is a neccesity in all sciences, we know that. The focus of the course, as evidence by every line of the syllabus and an A student, is understanding the concepts. I think that clears up this issue.

jays2cool4u said:
It seems that you have missed my point that the underyling concepts and math are equally important. Dr. Rueckner seems to agree that they are equally important also.

Math preparation

2. That you need to have solid math skills for physics should go without saying, yet many students seem to think they’ll somehow be able to get by with weak math skills. Don’t fool yourself...the mathematical symbols should conjure up physical concepts and relations if you hope to truly learn some physics...As with any new language, this takes time and training and you must have the prerequisite math skills to embark on this training program.

Problem solving

19. You must understand the concepts and theory absolutely thoroughly to solve problems successfully. However, just knowing the theory is useless if you can't apply it to solve problems. A common refrain is: "I know the theory, I just can't solve the problems."

Taken from the physics E-1b Website . Click syllabus, then click how to succeed in this course.

If you can find anywhere in the syallbus where Dr. Rueckner explicitly puts more weight on the concepts than the math I'll give you a million dollars. You must have a sound understanding in both in order to succeed in physics.

Sundarban1 said:
#1.) The fact that this course has an emphasis in learning physics concepts rather than math is all throughout the syllabus but I'll entertain that challenge nonetheless.

I will pick up with your half quote of page 9 of the "50 suggestions" handout, which reads; "You MUST understand the concepts and theory absolutely thouroughly to solve problems sucessfully. However knowing they theory is useless if you can't apply it to solve problems."

Somehow you imply that the missing link is math, however if you take the time to read a few sentences below, it continues: "The source of the furstration is...the student must not only UNDERSTAND the THEORY AND CONCEPTS but be able to apply them to new situations. Applying general principles to decipher a puzzle in some altogether new and specific situation requires sound logical thinking, and that's the hard part that makes physics different...ON THE EXAM YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BE ASKED TO SIMPLY WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNED...RATHER, YOU'RE GOING TO BE ASKED TO FIGURE OUT PUZZLES USING WHAT YOU'VE LEARNED...YOU MUST PRACTICE THE APPLICATION OF PRINCIPLES AND THAT WILL CURE YOUR FRUSTRATION AILMENTS."

If that is not enough I will go back to the beginning..

Page 1, "Course Philosophy": Physics has a reputation of being mathematical and hard to understand. WE WILL USE ONLY THOSE MATHEMATICAL METHODS NECESSARY TO STATE PRINCIPLES ACCURATELY

...Page 6, "Exams": The purpose of the exams is the evaluate and assess your progress in the course. ONE THIRD OF EACH EXAM WILL CONSIST OF CONCEPTUAL MC QUESTIONS...EXAMINATIONS ARE DESIGNED TO TEST YOUR ABILITY TO THINK.

Page 4 of the grading guidelines, notice that each description of the homework grading focuses on how "The underlying concept" of the problem is conveyed? Notice how there is more emphasis on understanding the problem than being able to do the math in the problem? Yes, maybe you missed that part...

Page 7, continued...What counts is your UNDERSTANDING of the basic physical CONCEPTS and being able to APPLY those CONCEPTS using LOGICAL THINKING PROCESS...

Page 12 of 50 tips, "The end of chapter level 1 problems are such plug and chug problems that WILL NOT APPREAR ON EXAMS. To solve level II and III problems you must UNTERSTAND THE UNDERLYING PRINCIPLES."

The list goes on and on throughout each page. Too much to cite because the word concept is in almost every paragraph.

I suggest reading for the main idea, rather than specific details, it will help you during the MCAT verbal section.

Anyway, I accept small bills, or beer. Whichever you prefer.

#2) As I stated before my advice was, as the syllabus suggests also, to buy the shaums math book. It is complete in the basics needed to do well. I used it to prepare, having not taken math in over 6 years and I've had only one test lower than an A, which was an A-. And unlike you, I've taken every exam. Which, since you want to quote the syllabus, is something Dr. Rueckner highly recommends.

Case in point, the last exam. Basic math, yet all conceptual, and everyone is complaining about how hard it was compared to all of the past exams. Why? Because it was purely concept based. If you did not know how to setup the problem, plugging the numbers does not work.

Understanding basic math is a neccesity in all sciences, we know that. The focus of the course, as evidence by every line of the syllabus and an A student, is understanding the concepts. I think that clears up this issue.

Still, if you can find anywhere in the syallbus where Dr. Rueckner explicitly puts more weight on the concepts than the math I'll give you a million dollars.

You haven't proven your point.

jays2cool4u said:
Still, if you can find anywhere in the syallbus where Dr. Rueckner explicitly puts more weight on the concepts than the math I'll give you a million dollars.

You haven't proven your point.

Where you ask? In every paragraph. Try reading for the main idea OK cool guy? I was willing to entertain the first post, now you're just being silly.

Anyone who has the reading comprehension of a 6th grader can read the syllabus and see for themselves the main goals of the course.

/pwn

Sundarban1 said:
Where you ask? In every paragraph. Try reading for the main idea OK cool guy? I was willing to entertain the first post, now you're just being silly.

Anyone who has the reading comprehension of a 6th grader can read the syllabus and see for themselves the main goals of the course.

/pwn

There is no where explicitly (thats the keyword) in the syllabus that states that the concepts supercede the math. However, there is a statement which explains that the math skills and the concepts go hand and hand (which is number 2 above). You don't have to use insults to prove your point. Just prove it.

jays2cool4u said:
There is no where explicitly (thats the keyword) in the syllabus that states that the concepts supercede the math. However, there is a statement which explains that the math skills and the concepts go hand and hand (which is number 2 above). You don't have to use insults to prove your point. Just prove it.

I find your lack of reading comprehension more concerning than your fondness to try and disprove my point.

Let me ask you this, when you take the MCAT verbal section, are you going to write in the margins "Hey man, I couldn't find the answer to the question explicity in the text so everything else is invalid."??

This is a question of being able to read the syllabus and understand the goal of the course. Much like being able to look at a physics problem and set it up using logic.

Furthermore, I think humor makes this discussion more lively, since my point was proven long ago and I'm pretty bored with you.

My favorite quote is from Ron Newburgh and I think it fits here perfectly.

He says "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think."

My sentiments, exactly.

Sundarban1 said:
I find your lack of reading comprehension more concerning than your fondness to try and disprove my point.

Let me ask you this, when you take the MCAT verbal section, are you going to write in the margins "Hey man, I couldn't find the answer to the question explicity in the text so everything else is invalid."??

This is a question of being able to read the syllabus and understand the goal of the course. Much like being able to look at a physics problem and set it up using logic.

Furthermore, I think humor makes this discussion more lively, since my point was proven long ago and I'm pretty bored with you.

My favorite quote is from Ron Newburgh and I think it fits here perfectly.

He says "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think."

My sentiments, exactly.

This is not about you forecasting my MCAT verbal score or about one of Newburgh's famous quotes. Your point was not proven so you give me this bs explanation about humor and what you think you proved. Do not give half-ass info to these new HES students. They must know that learning the physics concepts and having the basic prerequisite math skills are essential. If one area is lacking they will for surely not receive a grade of A. Both are equally important whether you choose to recognize it or not. Stop with the insults and just disagree. It's ok to disagree without patronizing the opposition.

Small bills, please :)

Sundarban1 said:
#1.) The fact that this course has an emphasis in learning physics concepts rather than math is all throughout the syllabus

As a fellow classmate I'd have to agree with sund here. It does not seem that he is disputing the importance of math in the course, as he said above. What he is saying is that the goal of the course is learning the concepts and applying them, which is very true. By looking at old exams you can see this.

The math for the most part is minimal, aside from a few homework problems. On our last homework set we got an email from rueckner saying not to do a certain problem he assigned because the math was too tedious and he didnt think it gave any insight into the physics behind the question. So, in my opinion the take home message of the course is understanding the physics. You need to know basic math if you dont want to struggle all the time with simple problems, but I dont think that is in question. good luck everyone.

can we all group hug and make up now?

prav said:
can we all group hug and make up now?

I :love: my classmates, thanks Prav!

For those in Chemistry right now, I hope you will appreciate this:

I have a bet going with my TF about my score for the 3rd Chem exam. I didn't do as well as I wanted on the 2nd exam, so I gave myself a little incentive to do really well on this next one heading into the final.

In short, the bet is that I get a 95 or I have to wear the following outfit to the final: a pink polo shirt with a (yup, you guessed it Sundarban) a POPPED collar. I will also have to wear some cool blue shorts, boat shoes and black socks. Hell, I'll even toss in a cool abercrombie visor if I do really crappy! If I win, then my TF has to wear Michigan State (my alma mater) gear head to toe.

This is rather stupid, I know, but it was my TF who suggested the popped collar and I could not help but think of a certain SDN'er with that obsession.

(the other option was to wear a Hasselhoff-style outfit (baywatch or knight rider??), a la H-H equation, but that was deemed a little too much)

Notes of encouragement or derision encouraged!