Official: Harvard 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, how was the chemistry exam? I think the material covered was gases, thermo, and electronic structure. Did you guys see any funky mixture problems? We had one last year. Hope everyone stomped the exam!
Test wasn't bad. There was one mixture problem involving bleeding off a certain pressure of a hydrocarbon and burning it to heat up water - then finding the enthalpy of formation of it.

The only question mark in my head is whether or not we were supposed to use vapor pressure of water for the combustion (but it's 2 points so I don't care very much).

I put the average lower than the first exam, but still low 80's.

Members don't see this ad.

Wasn't bio lab cool this week?

Can you guys tell me how difficult you find the courses @ HES? I went to top 25 national university for an undergraduate, but I'm not the smartest person when it comes to science. I heard that courses are really rigorous there. Can someone tell me roughly what percentage of students get A and B in basic science courses? Is it do-able to get an A if you study hard?

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps a stupid question, but:

If you apply to the Health Careers Program and you are accepted have your secured their sponsorship for med school applications?

Perhaps a stupid question, but:

If you apply to the Health Careers Program and you are accepted have your secured their sponsorship for med school applications?

No, you have to earn by meeting the academic requirements they set for you once you are accepted. Depending on your GPA coming into the program, they tell you how many credits you need to complete in the program. With that, you need to get no less than a "B" in each class you take. They sometimes add the stipulation of at least a 30 on the MCAT as well, depending on the applicant. This is all outlined on their website under the sponsorship link.

Can you guys tell me how difficult you find the courses @ HES? I went to top 25 national university for an undergraduate, but I'm not the smartest person when it comes to science. I heard that courses are really rigorous there. Can someone tell me roughly what percentage of students get A and B in basic science courses? Is it do-able to get an A if you study hard?

No one can say "how" difficult a class is, most of your success will depend on you. There are simply too many factors to answer that question. That being said, the averages are around a B/B+ for most of the pre-med classes.

Physics next week - a 2nd year told me that he found the 2nd physics test easier because they couldn't go into as deep of detail - anyone else find this to be true?

There is a lot of material to be covered and it is much harder than what we covered in the first portion - I think this test is going to be a nut cruncher for many! I did well on the first one, but am striving to do better on this one - not just to up my mid-term grade (not that it really needs it), but just to not get behind and be able to do the same for the final.

There is a lot of material to be covered and it is much harder than what we covered in the first portion - I think this test is going to be a nut cruncher for many! I did well on the first one, but am striving to do better on this one - not just to up my mid-term grade (not that it really needs it), but just to not get behind and be able to do the same for the final.
I agree - trying to stay up for the final (and h/w's). I was surprised, but after it was explained to me - it made sense. There's just a lot more material and to test it all in 2 hours they're not going to be able to go into as much detail. We'll see . . . practice exam and such should probably be online soon (or now?).

Physics next week - a 2nd year told me that he found the 2nd physics test easier because they couldn't go into as deep of detail - anyone else find this to be true?

Sorry, but this is simply not true. As the course progresses the material gets more abstract, especially second semester.

Seriously. Enjoy first semester. Everything goes to hell with EM and optics. I also see you folks have to answer ALL the "free response" questions. That sucks, last year we always had at least one we could skip.

The best way I found to prepare for the exams is to look at the problems, draw out what is going on, and WRITE IT OUT IN DETAIL. Don't just say it to yourself in your head, write it out and force yourself to justify absolutely everything in writing. In my case, I found it makes all the difference in all my classes, because if you just go through it in your head, you'll allow yourself to make assumptions that you really don't know how to justify, which can leave gaps in your base understanding. Those gaps (in case you haven't noticed) are what 50% of the physics exams are based on. Writing it out also forces you to revisit stuff that you learned weeks ago, so it never falls into the abyss, which makes exam prep that much easier.

Once you're convinced you've explained it in detail, you're pretty much done. The explanations you've created will tell you which equations to use, and you just need to plug it into your calculator.

Another tip; particularly as the math becomes more convoluted: dimensional analysis works miracles. If you can't figure out what the hell is going on, work with the units you have to get the units you need algebraically. Also a good way to check your answer. If your units aren't right, neither is your answer. I'm sure you've heard this ad nauseum, but it saved my ass many a time on the exams, particularly second semester, when you have absolutely no frame of reference to what you're dealing with.

Doing this stuff is tedious, time consuming, and boring, but in the long run will drill the subjects into your skull and ultimately make life a lot easier (this all applies to the chems and bio as well). Just my 0.02.

Hi all,

I am planning to start at Harvard Extension with Chem II in the spring, but I took the first semester of chemistry as a freshman in college (7 years ago). I got an A and I have been relearning the material independently, but wanted to get an opinion on this from someone at HES who has taken either one or both semesters of chemistry. Is this a bad idea? Obviously a lot depends on my own aptitude and the amount of work I put into it, but any advice is much appreciated. I could always wait and just retake Chem I in the fall, but I'm anxious to get started.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I am planning to start at Harvard Extension with Chem II in the spring, but I took the first semester of chemistry as a freshman in college (7 years ago). I got an A and I have been relearning the material independently, but wanted to get an opinion on this from someone at HES who has taken either one or both semesters of chemistry. Is this a bad idea? Obviously a lot depends on my own aptitude and the amount of work I put into it, but any advice is much appreciated. I could always wait and just retake Chem I in the fall, but I'm anxious to get started.

Thanks!

Take chem 2 in the spring. You'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who missed lecture, average on the gen chem exam was somewhere around and 85 (86 maybe?) and there were a large number of 100's. Barring some absurd test & final, looks like there will be a ton of A's in that class.

For anyone who missed lecture, average on the gen chem exam was somewhere around and 85 (86 maybe?) and there were a large number of 100's. Barring some absurd test & final, looks like there will be a ton of A's in that class.

The chem final is always the toughest of all the classes. Ask anyone who took it last year, it was near impossible.

how is your preparation for the dr. fixsen's second midterm coming along?

Tucci did admit during class that his final was tough - that "no one will leave saying that was an easy final". But with so many perfect scores on the exams and decent homework scores, you'd have to score in the low 50's to get a B in the class.

As for bio exam #2, I was going to start practice exams tomorrow. We've been pooling problems from genetics books and getting a grip on some of the stranger cases. Fixsen has said that this exam's score is always much more bipolar, generally people who are good at probability and not - so I think that if you get this stuff, you're golden. I have physics to worry about on Tuesday, so I'm doing my best not to freak out about bio yet. Either I'm getting used to the class or this exam is much more understanding concepts than facts.

Has anyone taken any of the following classes?

1) Principles of Genetics
2) The Biology of Aging
3) Topics in Microbiology and infectious diseases
4) Molecular biology

If you have taken any of those courses, can you tell me how it was? Tell me also if you have heard about it.

Anybody needs a roommate? I only need to be there for second semester (Feb ~ May or Late Jan ~ May). I'm looking for the place to sublet. If anyone is going to start the program in spring, maybe we can get an apt together. Please let me know. I thought it would be good if both are doing the same program.

Most of the people on here are taking their pre-reqs, so hopefully you will find someone that can comment on those classes, but if you don't it's not because you're being ignored. I would talk to Dr. Fixsen if you don't get enough information here - he generally knows all that is HCP, especially bio.

As for a roomate, I would also try Craigslist - I found a TON of cheap places on there looking for roomates. You'll have to interview around a bunch to find a group that you mesh with, but I have a 8 min walk to campus and pay $475 (w/out utilities) - finding a good, cheap place is possible.

Thoughts on the physics exam? It was almost entirely repeats - I think the class average will be higher this time around.

It was a lot of repeats but I think a lot of people found it quite tough. I am sure it is the one I am dropping, I conceptually knew the material, however had not done enough practice problems to really be able to apply it particularly well and anyone on this course knows that is not the way to go. I would rather make a mess on this test, than any of the others - I already had a good grade going into it.

Just got my letter from Dr. Fixsen, for a start in Fall '07 at HES. It was one of those strange conditional letters I keep hearing about, where I have the option to take back my check and withdraw my application. It's not for the sake of grades, really. (BCPM:3.45, GPA:3.47) Deal is, I've finished all of my pre-reqs, and just want to pull up the GPA to around a confident 3.6, in addition to retaking Orgo and Calc II (C's, all). It seems like it would be a pretty good deal to take those and some more upper-level science to round it out. I need 20 credits to get sponsorship, but will probably do about 24~28, and taking the 'CAT. Should I really go the master's route, as suggested by Fixsen in his letter? This whole HES thing does seem to be a pretty tasty. Has anyone in this group been in a position similar to mine?

:idea:

Should I really go the master's route, as suggested by Fixsen in his letter?

I think he means special master's program (SMP's), one designed specifically for enterence to medical school. Just any master's program will not help your cause. If you do not know the difference there is a ton of information to look at here.

That aside if you have less than a B in any of your pre'reqs I would take them here, in addition to upper level science courses. If you strenthen your GPA than you can get the direct route to medical school like everyone else. If you don't want to do the 20 credits than simply review on your own, take the MCAT, then apply SMP programs as SMP programs require you to have already taken the MCAT.

I think he means special master's program (SMP's), one designed specifically for enterence to medical school. Just any master's program will not help your cause. If you do not know the difference there is a ton of information to look at here.

Yeah, thanks for the good word. I understand the deal with SMP's and all that, but they seem to really select for individuals outside of my general profile, i.e. unsuccessful applicants, and those who've been barreling along with a desire to practice medicine for some significant time. I'm not sure I fit the SMP bill, as I'm just coming into my attraction to medicine. Been in research for a couple years, three by the time I would arrive at HES.

My position is unique in that, during undergrad, I took care of being a decent science major (overcommitted, hence the lackluster grades), without the bullheaded drive toward any graduate school path. Thus, I did not establish myself as the "potential future doctor", like a lot of the other kids were doing. And my recommendations from that period would likely reflect that. So, securing sponsorship is the big deal for me. I guess I'll have a conversation with Dr. Fixsen, and hash out this stuff.

Anyone know what the mean was on physics? I'd venture to say it'll be lower - mine went down so all that studying will be reflected on my refrigerator (not on my transcript).

Bio's ruining my life right now.

Can anyone comment on which school would be best...be it any school with a linkage program vs attending HES?

Why doesnt Harvard Extension School have a linkage program? Do they guarantee 100% acceptance into med school like Goucher or Bryn Mawr?

Why doesnt Harvard Extension School have a linkage program?

We don't know. Call and ask.

Do they guarantee 100% acceptance into med school like Goucher or Bryn Mawr?

No, there is no such thing as a program guaranteeing anyone 100% acceptance. HES advertises that ~80% of students who attain sponsorship eventually gain admission to medical school.

I'd visit the website for the program and see when the next info session is being held if you have any other questions.

Has anyone ever taken classes @ Harvard Summer School? How's the difficulty of the courses? Anyone planning on taking summer school this year?

Has anyone ever taken classes @ Harvard Summer School? How's the difficulty of the courses? Anyone planning on taking summer school this year?

I took general chemistry this summer and loved it. Now I wish all my classes could be summer classes. The course itself is just like in the fall/spring, only with a different schedule and only one final. The pace is pretty intense, too intense for some people, and relentless while it lasts, but it's all over in less than two months. I liked not being distracted by other classes, and having everything from day one still fresh in my head for the final. The environment is also totally different from in the fall: the class is a quarter of the size (a third bright & committed young post-baccs, a third undergrads, and a third high-schoolers!), and you spend all day there, so you get to know everyone pretty well and have quite a bit of fun. My advice is first to make sure you won't be getting in over your head (I saw too much of that). As long as you don't have a job or a life, and you're reasonably good at hard science and (for this course) algebra, you'll find it challenging but manageable.

does anyone know anything about professor Viel's molecular bio class in spring semester? I heard that class is supposed to be hard..:oops: