Official: Harvard 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
booradley5 said:
For those in Chemistry right now, I hope you will appreciate this:

I have a bet going with my TF about my score for the 3rd Chem exam. I didn't do as well as I wanted on the 2nd exam, so I gave myself a little incentive to do really well on this next one heading into the final.

In short, the bet is that I get a 95 or I have to wear the following outfit to the final: a pink polo shirt with a (yup, you guessed it Sundarban) a POPPED collar. I will also have to wear some cool blue shorts, boat shoes and black socks. Hell, I'll even toss in a cool abercrombie visor if I do really crappy! If I win, then my TF has to wear Michigan State (my alma mater) gear head to toe.

This is rather stupid, I know, but it was my TF who suggested the popped collar and I could not help but think of a certain SDN'er with that obsession.

(the other option was to wear a Hasselhoff-style outfit (baywatch or knight rider??), a la H-H equation, but that was deemed a little too much)

Notes of encouragement or derision encouraged!

This has to be the best idea ever. I will most definitely be there with a digital camera, and use the picture as my new avatar. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

As a side a bunch of us HES peeps are meeting up night after the chemistry final to go out drinking. If anyone is interested in joining let us know. Jaycool is buying the first round for everyone.

Sundarban1 said:
As a side a bunch of us HES peeps are meeting up night after the chemistry final to go out drinking. If anyone is interested in joining let us know. Jaycool is buying the first round for everyone.

My chemistry days are over. Besides, I'm too cool for that. Israel is buying the first round.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sundarban1 said:
This has to be the best idea ever. I will most definitely be there with a digital camera, and use the picture as my new avatar. Good luck!

Well hopefully my grade will be high enough to disappoint you. However, given how much partial credit we've been getting as of late, anything in 90+ territory will be difficult for sure. The practice exam seemed managable, though, so hopefully Israel will not go too nuclear on the real one.

booradley5 said:
Well hopefully my grade will be high enough to disappoint you. However, given how much partial credit we've been getting as of late, anything in 90+ territory will be difficult for sure. The practice exam seemed managable, though, so hopefully Israel will not go too nuclear on the real one.

I have to question why you would agree to such a risky bet. At least you could have bartered for a score around the 80's. Good luck :luck:

Sundarban1 said:
I have to question why you would agree to such a risky bet. At least you could have bartered for a score around the 80's. Good luck :luck:

Had to set the bar pretty high on this one given such a dismal showing on the last exam. Figure if I lose, if only by a little, then at least I'll still be happy with the score.

My question is, though, does the pink polo have to include the little polo horsey thing on it? :confused:

booradley5 said:
My question is, though, does the pink polo have to include the little polo horsey thing on it? :confused:

Well if you're going to go down(we hope not), might as well go down in style, sort of.

Diueine said:
Hello

I've read several messages talking about this, but I didn't find a consensus or at least a clear statement. So I will try to make my question as simple and clear as possible.

May I take courses (say Biology I) at HES now and only later (say next year) apply for HCP admission? Will this course count in my GPA for a sponsorship later?

Thanks,

Diueine

Tricky to say because the amount of credits you need to complete to earn sponsorship is based on the GPA at the time you apply. I would call either Peterson or Fixsen to find out.

Anybody taking orgo now? Is it true you only need about 60% of the points to get an A with masse?

Also is it true rueckner is not teaching physics this fall?

Morb said:
Anybody taking orgo now? Is it true you only need about 60% of the points to get an A with masse?

scuttlebutt is that they've hired a new prof for orgo this fall, so I assume that a new grading policy would be in effect

Well on the popped collar front, I'm pretty sure that I'll be wearing one at the final. I didn't think that the exam was uber challenging, but nevertheless I'm pretty sure that I messed up a DeltaG/DeltaS somewheres along the line and probably a couple other points.

booradley5 said:
scuttlebutt is that they've hired a new prof for orgo this fall, so I assume that a new grading policy would be in effect

That might be a good thing. I hear he was not the best teacher, which drew a lot of complaints.

I think Rueckner is great. The second semester was really tough and for some reason I got the feeling he was not as animated or comical in lecture as he was first semester (maybe I would be too if I were getting the boot!). Anyhow, God bless the souls who take physics next year if Ron is teaching :scared:

booradley5 said:
Well on the popped collar front, I'm pretty sure that I'll be wearing one at the final. I didn't think that the exam was uber challenging, but nevertheless I'm pretty sure that I messed up a DeltaG/DeltaS somewheres along the line and probably a couple other points.

Oh well, there is always a chance for a regrade!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sundarban1 said:
Anyhow, God bless the souls who take physics next year if Ron is teaching :scared:

Oh god that is a scary thought. :eek:

Sundarban1 said:
Oh well, there is always a chance for a regrade!

yeah, just got my grade. And I looked at the answer key. Chances are the gods of regrade will not bring my up to 95. My avatar notwithstanding, the second part of that titration question messed me up good. And I put CO2 for the biggest contributor to greenhouse gas---whoops!

So plan on some pink popped collar polo action...I'll ham it up good for your camera! Now, to add the preppy golf visor or not?

What was the average

hmm..scandalously similar to physics!

booradley5 said:
Median was 74

No, the median was 75.

I thought it was a pretty straight forward exam, which of course didn't prevent me from messing up none the less.Oh well, there's always the final.

AnotherPreM said:
No, the median was 75.

I thought it was a pretty straight forward exam, which of course didn't prevent me from messing up none the less.Oh well, there's always the final.

Finally got some justice with a 96. Rueckner is on sabbatical for the fall, Ron is replacing, from the horses mouth. I thought I heard this might be procter's last summer orgo are you sure youre not confusing the two?

Booradley is that solution permanganate dominant?

Morb said:
Rueckner is on sabbatical for the fall, Ron is replacing, from the horses mouth.

Oh, great. I have a new co worker starting in the fall and she is taking physics next semester. I will have to prepare her well!

Morb said:
I thought I heard this might be procter's last summer orgo are you sure youre not confusing the two?

When I met with Fixsen he said that Procter was teaching his last summer orgo this upcomming summer and that there will most likely be a new full year orgo teacher come next Fall because of student complaints.

If I send my application in on Monday, does anybody know about how long it takes to receive notification of admission status? Just trying to get an idea of a time line for looking into loans and housing. btw, do I need a car in Cambridge? Probably not right?

Thx!

OlyUCLA said:
If I send my application in on Monday, does anybody know about how long it takes to receive notification of admission status? Just trying to get an idea of a time line for looking into loans and housing. btw, do I need a car in Cambridge? Probably not right?

Thx!

It usually takes 2 weeks tops. If you live on the red line (subway) you absolutely do not need a car. Its more of a hassle. I'd recommend looking at central, porter, davis squares if you want to be close to school on the red line. Harvard square is the closest but I think its too touristy and loud for my taste. Plus you overpay for the size of the apartments. Check craigslist first.

delete

Last edited:
NtHouse said:
hey guys, in light of starting HCP in the fall...which classes are the best to take in conjunction with each other the first semester? any prefs for the profs? thanks.

They advise you to take Chem/Physics year one, and Bio/OChem year two. There is only one offering for each class, so everyone has the same professor, you do not choose them yourself. Of note the normal physics professor, Dr. Rueckner, will be on sabbatical in the Fall so you will have Ron Newburgh as your professor for at least the first semester. Lord help you. :scared:

Organic chemistry, from what I hear, will most likely have a new professor also, we don't know who that is yet. Chemistry and Bio have two great lecturers.

Good luck.

delete

Last edited:
NtHouse said:
what's the deal with Newburgh? :confused:
a little bit :(

"Young man, I don't give a damn if the number is correct. Your units are wrong so the entire damn problem is wrong. How many times have I told students...." - Ron Newburgh giving Jay the business in the helproom.

NtHous said:
Also, is it possible to take the classes all in a yr?

I know a kid who is currently finishing organic, physics, and bio this year. He is doing well and will probably make straight A's this semester. However, Dr. Fixsen will highly advise against this. All classes can be completed in one year including a summer.

Jays2cool4u :cool:

jays2cool4u said:
"Young man, I don't give a damn if the number is correct. Your units are wrong so the entire damn problem is wrong. How many times have I told students...." - Ron Newburgh giving Jay the business in the helproom.

Newburgh responding to question on monochomatic vs. coherent light sources-

"What?!?!? Well, they are totally different phenomena and Giancoli does a horrible job of explaining it in the text so I'm not suprised that you're totally clueless"

Newburgh on projectile motion-

"Listen, this isn't rocket science. Nowhere it the book does it discuss anything about conservation of velocity!"

Newburgh on reading before lecture-

Student: "Ron, where did that equation come from?"

Ron: "Well you prove my point exactly. If you bothered to read the text before class you would know this is equation 14-4 on page 134. Now you know better. But thank you anyway, you've made a fine example. Any other questions??"

Newburgh on cheating-

"I always tell my students that the easiest way to do well on an exam without cheating is by reading the entire question."

Newburgh on units-

Ron: "What is the B field of the Earth?"

Student: "5x10^-5"

Ron: "What? 5x10^-5 grapefruit? Give me units dammit!"

(My Fav)

Ron: .::writes several illegible equations on the chalk board::.

"Now is this clear?"

Physics class: "... ... ..."

Ron: "I'll take that as a yes?"

Physics class: "... ... ...zzz...pindrop..."

Ron: "May I erase?"

Plenty more, I just have to think...

delete

Last edited:
So some you are in the program currently. Anybody care to share their undergrad stats to give me a good idea of whether or not i fit the bill? I have a 3.0 so think i could use this sponsorship. So its 800 per course x 2 semesters x 2 years = 6400 dollars + books/fees.? I thought i read somewhere that no financial aid is available. is this true?

Thanks guys.

NtHouse said:
ohhhh, gawwwdddd :scared:

tell me good things...anything good.

I have an excellent tutor for chem/physics. I'll pass his information along if anyone is interested. He teaches summer chem/physics at harvard summer school and has TFd each class for years. He's great.

delete

Last edited:
Each class has a tutor list available once the class starts and tutors have been named. Each year is different because most of the tutors are graduate students so it's really hit or miss. I've been with the same tutor for a year now because he actually took the chem and physics and stayed on to TF the class, whereas other tutors may not be familiar with the structure of the class, how it is taught, where a majority of other students have pitfalls, etc.

delete

Last edited:
NtHouse said:
I see. Thanks for the heads up!
Would you mind giving me your tutor info?

Check your PM.

Sundarban1 said:
Check your PM.

Oh boy Sundarban, you have inspired me with Ron quotes:

Ron (insinuating that a student is full of crap): "Well, well...the cup runneth over. Oh wait that is just the toilet."

Student: I am really having difficulty predicting the direction of these magnetic fields; can we discuss the right hand rules?

Ron: "I will not show you the right hand rules. I think they are dumb and they do not work all of the time. You are going to need to see an orthopedic doctor when you are done with the right hand rules. I will however show you the screwdriver rule (for those that do not know, he uses this method over the one show in our text).

Those are just a couple of great lines from Ron

BobLJ99 said:
I will however show you the screwdriver rule (for those that do not know, he uses this method over the one show in our text).

I gotta say though, the screwdriver rule ain't bad -- saved my butt on a few exam questions!

Hi Sundarban, I've found your posts very helpful. I was wondering if I too could get the info for your tutor.

Thanks

Based on what I've read in the forums, Harvard and Penn seem to be the two best programs, hands down. Penn seems to integrate post-bac students into the University community better than Harvard by way of library, computer, and recreational privelages. But, Harvard's tuition is much less. And, of course, Harvard is near Boston while Penn is in Philly. Have I made a reasonable assessment?

My other question is, why is Harvard, given its very reasonable tuition, its solid advising, and its high caliber of education, not an obvious choice for most people? Are people applying to other programs for reasons other than location or reduced rigor? Just curious about this.

Thanks

dna111 said:
Based on what I've read in the forums, Harvard and Penn seem to be the two best programs, hands down. Penn seems to integrate post-bac students into the University community better than Harvard by way of library, computer, and recreational privelages. But, Harvard's tuition is much less. And, of course, Harvard is near Boston while Penn is in Philly. Have I made a reasonable assessment?

My other question is, why is Harvard, given its very reasonable tuition, its solid advising, and its high caliber of education, not an obvious choice for most people? Are people applying to other programs for reasons other than location or reduced rigor? Just curious about this.

Thanks

Harvard integrates you into their community very well if you are in the diploma program meaning you have not taken any prerequisite courses for medical school. If this is the case, you are given a Harvard ID card and receive privileges to use all of the Harvard libraries, can join the gym for $50 a semester, get reduced rates on athletic events, and the opportunity to earn sponsorship from the premedical committee.

Harvard is an obvious choice for some, but not others. The class instruction and rigor hands down are as good as you can find; however, if you are looking for a program where administration will hold your hand every step of the way, Harvard is not your program. Some people like the rigid structure of a program, while others can do without it.

Do not let Harvard’s low tuition fool you into thinking it is any less desirable. Harvard is such a cash cow, this is their way of giving something back. Also, the program is VERY well respected. I attended a presentation by the associate dean of admissions for University of Vermont School of Medicine and he said that Harvard writes one of the finest committee letters he has ever seen. His exact words on Owen Peterson, one of the letter writers, “The man is a literary genius.”

Happy birthday Sundarban! Everyone make sure to wish Sundarban a very happy birthday!

BobLJ99 said:
Happy birthday Sundarban! Everyone make sure to wish Sundarban a very happy birthday!

Yes, everyone show Sundarban some :love: .

But Rob aren't you a day late and a dollar short with this one? :p Since you're in closer proximity to him than I am, be sure to harass him a bit until I get my chance... :smuggrin:

microgin said:
Yes, everyone show Sundarban some :love: .

But Rob aren't you a day late and a dollar short with this one? :p Since you're in closer proximity to him than I am, be sure to harass him a bit until I get my chance... :smuggrin:

LOL. You are indeed correct. I am trying to repent my sin of forgetting :p

BobLJ99 said:

Figures... no mammary glands = no memory for birthdays, anniversaries, and other significant dates :p

BobLJ99 said:

I must say I did get some delicious brownies from Gin and a very well deserved brew or 2 from Bob and another classmate for my bday! There will be another celebration next Thursday

:hardy:

Sundarban1 said:
I must say I did get some delicious brownies from Gin and a very well deserved brew or 2 from Bob and another classmate for my bday! There will be another celebration next Thursday

:hardy:

BTW... if any of you boys want to take up baking (be it in a toaster oven or whatever :p ), the trick to making really rich brownies is to use olive oil and egg whites.... makes 'em good for you too! Now I will return you to your regularly scheduled HES topics.

/hijack

Your Newburgh quotes just made my day! :cool: can't wait for this damn class to be over.

Sundarban1 said:
Newburgh responding to question on monochomatic vs. coherent light sources-

Plenty more, I just have to think...

microgin said:
BTW... if any of you boys want to take up baking (be it in a toaster oven or whatever :p ), the trick to making really rich brownies is to use olive oil and egg whites.... makes 'em good for you too! Now I will return you to your regularly scheduled HES topics.

/hijack

Sorry, we are more concerned with the reaction of oil and egg and the index of refraction of olive oil at the moment. We leave tha baking to the pros.

I must say I spoke to Sundarban1 tutor, and will be signing up with him - he certainly seems like a fabulous guy to have on your side.

How difficult is it to get to Suffolk Downs without a car? I am thinking of doing some exercise riding there to earn some money in the mornings....

Iain said:
I must say I spoke to Sundarban1 tutor, and will be signing up with him - he certainly seems like a fabulous guy to have on your side.

How difficult is it to get to Suffolk Downs without a car? I am thinking of doing some excerxise riding there to earn some money in the mornings....

He is great. You will have a wonderful experience with him if you put the time in and actually ask questions about the material. Depending on where you live, suffolk downs is not too far and is accessable from the subway. For example, from Harvard square, you can take the subway and be there in about 35 minutes. I don't have a car so I'm not sure how long a drive it is.