Official: Georgetown SMP Class of 07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
your transcript just needs to have your degree on it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I just received this email from SMP and was wondering what you guys thought?

Dear Applicant,

Your application for the Fall 2006 Special Masters Program has been
initially reviewed by the admissions committee; we are awaiting for
confirmation and deposits from several already admitted students, but
feel that we will have openings available soon for the incoming class.
At this moment, your application has been deemed a high-priority
unofficial "waitlist" candidate; that is, there is no ranking for your
application, but the committee feels that your credentials are quite
impressive and you would likely be a good addition to the class.
Unfortunately, I am unable to give an accurate prediction how soon the
final decisions will be made; I can inform you though that students will
continue to be accepted until orientation on August 11, 2006.

Is this what all the waitlisted people got or is there any hope?

Members don't see this ad :)
Um, I thought orientation was August 10. In any case, I think it's strange that it said you are "unofficially 'waitlisted'". I would just keep on waiting. I don't think there's much else you can do at this point. Did you get into any other SMPs?

chaeymaey said:
Um, I thought orientation was August 10. In any case, I think it's strange that it said you are "unofficially 'waitlisted'". I would just keep on waiting. I don't think there's much else you can do at this point. Did you get into any other SMPs?

I'm pretty sure we have 2 days' worth. Maybe they count how many people don't show up on Thursday and fill in the gaps on Friday.

Yosh, that sounds pretty promising to me. I haven't heard anything other than the generic "keep on waiting" email. I am hoping to at least hear SOMETHING tomorrow, but I would think your email is a good sign that if some people continue to drop out as they normally do, you will be in. Just my interpretation. Good luck...

GWmdwannabe said:
I'm pretty sure we have 2 days' worth. Maybe they count how many people don't show up on Thursday and fill in the gaps on Friday.

Yes, you are correct, orientation will be two days. People in the new SMP class will be accepted into medical school right up through the first week of the SMP. As a result, as places are opened up in the program, the committee will accept other students into the class.

In our class, we had two or three students who were called during orientation and accepted (a couple of them had to fly the next day from California to make it for the first day of class.) Two others were accepted after the first week of class. It really is a fluid process.

To the original poster of the question, if they were that direct about how they felt, I'd say you're probably one of the next couple people who will be accepted. They want you to relax, to know that you have a pretty good chance, *as long as people drop out of the class* (which *almost* always happens.) This way, you don't do something, like go to the carribean, instead.

Hi guys!

I was just admitted to medical school, and now have to find some other SMPer to take over the housing I set up a few weeks ago in Glover Park. It's really close to campus (2221 39th street NW), and is a 4BR rowhouse with 3 other SMPers.

Rent is $1050/month. House is spacious, including a basement bedroom that expands most of the size of the house and has its own bathroom. There are also porches off all of the other 3 bedrooms on the 1st and 2nd floors.

I can give you the names of the other SMPers that will be living there if you are interested and want to find out more.

Thanks guys!

On another note, as news to aspiring SMPers, I will be withdrawing my place in the class as soon as I receive the official med school acceptance in the mail.

Good luck!! :luck:

CMar830 said:
On another note, as news to aspiring SMPers, I will be withdrawing my place in the class as soon as I receive the official med school acceptance in the mail.

Good luck!! :luck:
Congrats! Where were you accepted?

hey guys,

I'm not sure if anyone could help me out but I found a place to live in Adams Morgan but the move in date is not until aug 16th and I am taking the august MCAT so I was wondering if there was anywhere I could get temp. housing from about aug 6-aug 20th?!! I'm stressing out here....=( any suggestions or insights are welcome!!

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
KrnFord920 said:
um... classes start in a month...

WHAT????!!!! AHHH!
I know, I can't believe it! I feel like there's so much to do. Has anyone used My Rich Uncle for student loans? How does it work? I'm assuming Gtown has to receive the loan money by the first day of class. Am I right?

Did anyone get any sort of financial package from Georgetown? So far, I got my acceptance letter, the deposit notice and the e-mail with the orientation date and the shots and the classes.

And how do class registration go? Are we automatically registered? And does the financial aid office take I.O.U.s for payment?

If you submitted a FAFSA to Gtown, you should have received a finaid package. It's basically just Stafford Loans. You should have also gotten a letter with you gtown email address and directions on how to get a student ID. As far as class registration, you do that at orientation.

is admission based solely on number, or do they actually look at other stuff too? I've got a 3.3 and a 27Q, but have ample research (both in basic sciences and in public health communications), having published abstracts in conference journals, and plenty of volunteer work (but i guess everyone has that one too). I see people on these forums getting into smp with like similar numbers as me, but i also see people not getting in with higher numbers

Hey, I've been on the waitlist for quite some time now. Is there anything I can do to make myself more of a candidate, or do I just have to sit and wait it out?

pavsci03 said:
is admission based solely on number, or do they actually look at other stuff too? I've got a 3.3 and a 27Q, but have ample research (both in basic sciences and in public health communications), having published abstracts in conference journals, and plenty of volunteer work (but i guess everyone has that one too). I see people on these forums getting into smp with like similar numbers as me, but i also see people not getting in with higher numbers

I think it has everything to do with when you apply. I know for Georgetown's SMP they started accepting apps in January- and start accepting people right away...so spots fill up quick. Those that apply early with those kind of numbers have a good shot, but as space becomes more limited, they become more selective. thats just my theory though.

I think it also has to do with how much someone needs the smp and how much it can help them. While I had a good overall gpa, my sci gpa needed work (3.3) and my mcat showed potential, I just needed to retake it one more time. I had great ECs and LORs, so my only weakness was my sci gpa, which wasn't low enough that I needed a post-bacc, I just needed to prove myself. Hence, I was a perfect candidate for smp. People with higher numbers than us probably don't really need the smp and should probably just find a job in health care while applying.

chaeymaey said:
If you submitted a FAFSA to Gtown, you should have received a finaid package. It's basically just Stafford Loans. You should have also gotten a letter with you gtown email address and directions on how to get a student ID. As far as class registration, you do that at orientation.

Thanks. I got the GoNet ID or GoID or soemthing like that but no financial package, yet. I guess I'll call them today.

I'm starting SMP this fall and just turned in my AMCAS. I got an email saying that my app is on hold because they have not received my GU transcript. Was I supposed to have checked "no" when they ask if the transcript is requested?

Yeah. AMCAS does not require the transcript from GT cuz it does not exist yet...

julez7 said:
I'm starting SMP this fall and just turned in my AMCAS. I got an email saying that my app is on hold because they have not received my GU transcript. Was I supposed to have checked "no" when they ask if the transcript is requested?
You should have clicked no and marked dr. meyers as a reference.

i got into drexel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
will withdraw on monday.
if anyone needs a place to stay my living arrangement is open its a room w/ a private entrace in a 6 bedroom house very close to school with other smp students. $760/ mo.

madonna said:
will withdraw on monday.
if anyone needs a place to stay my living arrangement is open its a room w/ a private entrace in a 6 bedroom house very close to school with other smp students. $760/ mo.
Congrats!

Hey guys,

I was wondering what we needed to do for the AMCAS in terms of the transcripts requirement. Do we just need to have a certification of enrollment form sent to AMCAS?

Thanks!

madonna said:
will withdraw on monday.

Way to go, Madonna. :thumbup: :thumbup:

WillOetg1 said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering what we needed to do for the AMCAS in terms of the transcripts requirement. Do we just need to have a certification of enrollment form sent to AMCAS?

Thanks!

You call AMCAs or e-mail them about the situation and they will waive the requirements within 3-4 days.

Hi guys, I'm finalizing my med school list. Let me know if you think I should add or subtract anything. My stats are 3.7 overall gpa, 3.3 sci gpa, majored in English at Tier 2 university, TX resident, april 05 mcat of 8 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS - retaking this August, and of course going to Gtown SMP.

* All TMDSAS TX schools
* Baylor College of Medicine
* Creighton University School of Medicine
* Drexel University College of Medicine
* Eastern Virginia Medical School
* George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
* Georgetown University School of Medicine
* Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
* Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
* Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
* New York Medical College
* Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
* Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
* Saint Louis University School of Medicine
* Tufts University School of Medicine
* Tulane University School of Medicine

Also, I'm applying without committee this time. Do you think that I should include a letter from my chem prof who taught me O Chem 2 (I got an A-) and Biochem 1 (I got B-), but he knows me well, or my physics prof (got A both terms), who doesn't know me as well. I already have my gen chem prof that I'm using for sure.

chaeymaey said:
Hi guys, I'm finalizing my med school list. Let me know if you think I should add or subtract anything. My stats are 3.7 overall gpa, 3.3 sci gpa, majored in English at Tier 2 university, TX resident, april 05 mcat of 8 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS - retaking this August, and of course going to Gtown SMP.

* All TMDSAS TX schools
* Baylor College of Medicine
* Creighton University School of Medicine
* Drexel University College of Medicine
* Eastern Virginia Medical School
* George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
* Georgetown University School of Medicine
* Jefferson Medical Coll. of Thomas Jefferson Univ.
* Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
* Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
* New York Medical College
* Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
* Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
* Saint Louis University School of Medicine
* Tufts University School of Medicine
* Tulane University School of Medicine

Also, I'm applying without committee this time. Do you think that I should include a letter from my chem prof who taught me O Chem 2 (I got an A-) and Biochem 1 (I got B-), but he knows me well, or my physics prof (got A both terms), who doesn't know me as well. I already have my gen chem prof that I'm using for sure.

pretty good list of schools. i would add Virginia Commonwealth University too... i'm not so sure about Keck... seems kinda difficult for out of staters, even if it is a private school.

as for the LOR's, i personally think you should use the O'chem and Biochem professors. As long as you KNOW that they wrote you a GOOD recommendation, and even though you might not have gotten the highest grade in their class, i think that's more important than getting a LOR from someone's class you did well in w/o getting to know the prof. That letter I think would be pointless and very generic.

see ya at g'town!

KrnFord920 said:
pretty good list of schools. i would add Virginia Commonwealth University too... i'm not so sure about Keck... seems kinda difficult for out of staters, even if it is a private school.

as for the LOR's, i personally think you should use the O'chem and Biochem professors. As long as you KNOW that they wrote you a GOOD recommendation, and even though you might not have gotten the highest grade in their class, i think that's more important than getting a LOR from someone's class you did well in w/o getting to know the prof. That letter I think would be pointless and very generic.

see ya at g'town!
Thanks, I was leaning towards that prof too. I didn't know if VCU was that receptive to out of state. How about U of VA? Keck's just a reach dream school because I have family alumni, and they always tell me to apply there.

chaeymaey said:
Thanks, I was leaning towards that prof too. I didn't know if VCU was that receptive to out of state. How about U of VA? Keck's just a reach dream school because I have family alumni, and they always tell me to apply there.

i would say compared to other states' schools, all 3 virginia's schools are rather receptive of out of state applicants. I think the percent of out of state students is something like 30-40% (correct me if i'm wrong anyone).

so, with that in mind, i guess i would add UVA also. i went to UVA for undergrad, and it's a great place to live and i enjoyed it, but i'm just ready to move on and get out of charlottesville...

KrnFord920 said:
i would say compared to other states' schools, all 3 virginia's schools are rather receptive of out of state applicants. I think the percent of out of state students is something like 30-40% (correct me if i'm wrong anyone).

so, with that in mind, i guess i would add UVA also. i went to UVA for undergrad, and it's a great place to live and i enjoyed it, but i'm just ready to move on and get out of charlottesville...

i would say add University of Vermont as well...they're pretty receptive to out of staters too.

good luck!

im still confused about the transcript. who has and who hasnt sent in their final transcript yet. i havent gotten any letter telling me to turn it in and my degree wont even be posted until the first week of august.

amizle said:
im still confused about the transcript. who has and who hasnt sent in their final transcript yet. i havent gotten any letter telling me to turn it in and my degree wont even be posted until the first week of august.

are you talking about sending your final transcript to Georgetown? Because they ask for that on your official acceptance letter. Mine said it had to be in by June 30, although I turned mine in a couple weeks after and I don't think there was a problem.

Here's the address to send it:
Georgetown University, Office of Graduate Admissions
c/o Ms. Karin Cerniglia
Box 571004
Washington, DC 20057-1004

KrnFord920 said:
are you talking about sending your final transcript to Georgetown? Because they ask for that on your official acceptance letter. Mine said it had to be in by June 30, although I turned mine in a couple weeks after and I don't think there was a problem.

Here's the address to send it:
Georgetown University, Office of Graduate Admissions
c/o Ms. Karin Cerniglia
Box 571004
Washington, DC 20057-1004

hmm, so it does...i should probably start reading these things over more carefully

thanks for the help

Just saw on the Yahoo board a post from Dr Meyers: 55% of class 2006 and 70% of class of 2005 accepted to med schools so far.

I can't find that post. Which board is it under, the admissions one or the smp07 one?

Damn, silkworm, that is one HOT MCAT score! What's your secret?

It's the one for SMP06 people.

EK Review Books + Kaplan class practice material + a dozen practice tests taken in real time + two and a half summer months + :luck: - :scared: = My MCAT

is anyone else out there doing their secondaries? if so what are you guys putting for LOR from a graduate school since we havent been assigned an advisor yet. i asked mrs. cabiness what i should write and she just told me that waiting till august 11th isnt that late.

amizle said:
is anyone else out there doing their secondaries? if so what are you guys putting for LOR from a graduate school since we havent been assigned an advisor yet. i asked mrs. cabiness what i should write and she just told me that waiting till august 11th isnt that late.

this was posted on the yahoo groups page a while back: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/physios/message/2973

so just put down tbd, i guess. thats what im going to do.

River Rat said:
noone hear anything about the waitlist yet?? mannnn :(
Were you accepted anywhere else?

amizle said:

First and foremost, waiting until August 11th is a bad idea. It is your decision, but prior experience applying in two cycles showed me and many others that you really should have the application submitted like yesterday. (well, you need to have it grammatically correct, etc also though)

Regarding the LOR name, if you really are desperate about it, write Professor Myers' name. Otherwise, even if you leave it blank, it won't make a whole lot of difference because Georgetown will submit (Actually she devises a system that makes you do it on your own) letters as soon as you begin the SMP program.

One word on orientation. Some people may not like to be active in front of 150 people so if you don't want to be standing in front of all of your class, introducing yourself (which Mrs. Cabiness does), then you might want to consider skipping the session after 12 pm on the second day. You can always come back for the barbecue around 5pm :p

Also, Dr. Myers makes a big deal about how students need to let the coordinators "talk to the medical schools", but don't count on that becoming a miracle that sends all of the students in to medical school because of Dr. Myers or Dr. Mulroney's personal status. If you want that kind of connection, this program does not have it. You still need to put in the effort to make it happen and remember that the 50% first year and 70-80% second year trying is still in effect even with this supposed "talking to medical schools" that they claim to do.

Hello all you SMPers out there -

I'm finishing up my pre-med reqs and am thinking I will need to boost my score before getting into med school. The GU SMP looks like a good idea, but I don't know how competitive I am with getting in:

overall GPA: 3.58
science GPA: around 3.0
MCAT - plan to take in april 2007, after Kaplan course

Any thoughts? Will it hurt me that I am taking the MCAT in April for admission in the fall?

Thanks.

EMTgirly said:
Will it hurt me that I am taking the MCAT in April for admission in the fall?

Thanks.
April may be a little too late in the cycle. Have you considered taking it in January or February? You're lucky to have that luxury next year. If u take it in Jan, u find out your scores in Feb, and if u take it in Feb u find out in March. It's a better timetable.

that's what i'm doing, January MCAT..it does work out well that we can get all of our application materials in by March at the earliest...