Official: Georgetown SMP Class of 07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
fightingon said:
ok sounds good...thanks for the advice. however, im still curious as to what the daily schedule looks like. what time are you generally done with classes?

The schedule is quite flexible, depending on the professor's needs. For example, the first few weeks, you might have classes from 10 am to 12 pm and twice a week from 1 to 3 pm. then you might have some shift in classes to 9 am instead of 10 am. It's not a set block schedule that you would get in medical school (well you might if you were in GUSOM) so you would have plenty of reasons to study.

Also for those of you who went to universities where TA review sessions, etc, are scheduled as late as 8 to 11 pm, most important meetings such as note sessions or review sessions tend to be right after class or 2 to 3 hours after the last class so there is no need to worry about staying in the dark too much. (there were some students held at gunpoint in campus on late nights, not often, but rare so be careful)

Members don't see this ad.

silkworm said:
Hi, I have a question regarding filling the immunization form. The form requires a health care provider to fill out the details. I already have all the documents for TB, shots, etc. Does this mean tha I must make an appointment with an actual physician and have him/her look over the documents and fill it out?

Thanks

basically, you have a physician sign the paper (between us, they wouldn't have to look at the whole thing as long has he stamps it with his signature, etc) ;)

markboonya said:
just curious what the note taker does exactly- go to class, record lecture, and transcribe it after?

usually there is a 36 hour deadline unless your lecture is on a Friday. (the first few weeks, there might be days with no classes on Fridays)

Members don't see this ad :)
Heyy--new user here! Just got into Georgetown SMP!! Trying to decide b/t SMP and starting med school in Carribbean this August (St. Matthews or St. George's). difference being starting right away and risk of "losing" a year. im confused....any thoughts??

lavazza24 said:
Heyy--new user here! Just got into Georgetown SMP!! Trying to decide b/t SMP and starting med school in Carribbean this August (St. Matthews or St. George's). difference being starting right away and risk of "losing" a year. im confused....any thoughts??

First of all, congrats! In my opinion, i think u should come to georgetown. caribbean schools will always be waiting for you with open arms so u dont have to worry about being stranded without a school to attend if u dont happen to get into a US school this cycle.

on the flip side, like u mentioned, u are "losing" a year and a hefty 32k in tuition should u chose smp. in my case, that is a worthy sacrfice- i dont have anything against caribbean schools, but staying in the country is something that is important to me. i also like the idea of having an easier class load my MS1 year so that i could start studying for the boards/research/shadow etc. either way, there will be a huge burden to prove yourself academically at both gtown and the caribbean. i know i will push myelf to the limits of my academic capabilites at gtown this fall and i feel that the payoff will be utterly satisfying- i dont think i would get the same satisfaction at a caribbean school.

i think u need to evaluate what it means to you to "lose" a year and weight that against what you perceive as the benefits of attending gtown. goodluck with your decision and congrats again on your acceptance at both gtown and St. Matthews/St. George's. (how much is tuition at those schools by the way?)

lavazza24 said:

i briefly thought about caribbean schools but there's a stigma attached to caribbean med students and it'll be harder to get into more competitive residencies once you graduate. georgetown opens a lot of doors if you do well.

markboonya said:
First of all, congrats! In my opinion, i think u should come to georgetown. caribbean schools will always be waiting for you with open arms so u dont have to worry about being stranded without a school to attend if u dont happen to get into a US school this cycle.

on the flip side, like u mentioned, u are "losing" a year and a hefty 32k in tuition should u chose smp. in my case, that is a worthy sacrfice- i dont have anything against caribbean schools, but staying in the country is something that is important to me. i also like the idea of having an easier class load my MS1 year so that i could start studying for the boards/research/shadow etc. either way, there will be a huge burden to prove yourself academically at both gtown and the caribbean. i know i will push myelf to the limits of my academic capabilites at gtown this fall and i feel that the payoff will be utterly satisfying- i dont think i would get the same satisfaction at a caribbean school.

i think u need to evaluate what it means to you to "lose" a year and weight that against what you perceive as the benefits of attending gtown. goodluck with your decision and congrats again on your acceptance at both gtown and St. Matthews/St. George's. (how much is tuition at those schools by the way?)

Thank you for replying! you bring up some very good pts, especially about proving yourself in either location. i guess what makes the decision somewhat difficult for me is the following argument: a med school is a med school in the sense that you'll become a dr either way as long as you prove yourself. i feel like closed minded people will always find some reason not to like u whether its med school, race, name, gender, etc and that potential/ability will shine through in the end no matter where u are. on the other hand, i def acknowledge the bias in the US in terms of getting the most competitive residencies but have seen that students from caribbean have matched at schools like yale, harvard, gtown, etc in programs such as surgery, anaesth, cardiology, radiology.... So, whereas gtown is an fantastic school and may potentially make my life easier in terms of rotations/residency, the carribbean would allow me to get started right away. LOL as u can tell im still very undecided on where i want to go!! in my case, im hoping to go into something competitive but not impossible ie ENT, cardiology, gastro, IM

to answer your question, tuition at st matthews is 7900/semester (w high cost of living bc of cayman islands), and st georges is 17,500/semester (basically like US). u do 2 yrs basic sciences on the islands and 2 clinical yrs in hospitals in US.

lavazza24 said:
Thank you for replying! you bring up some very good pts, especially about proving yourself in either location. i guess what makes the decision somewhat difficult for me is the following argument: a med school is a med school in the sense that you'll become a dr either way as long as you prove yourself. i feel like closed minded people will always find some reason not to like u whether its med school, race, name, gender, etc and that potential/ability will shine through in the end no matter where u are. on the other hand, i def acknowledge the bias in the US in terms of getting the most competitive residencies but have seen that students from caribbean have matched at schools like yale, harvard, gtown, etc in programs such as surgery, anaesth, cardiology, radiology.... So, whereas gtown is an fantastic school and may potentially make my life easier in terms of rotations/residency, the carribbean would allow me to get started right away. LOL as u can tell im still very undecided on where i want to go!! in my case, im hoping to go into something competitive but not impossible ie ENT, cardiology, gastro, IM

to answer your question, tuition at st matthews is 7900/semester (w high cost of living bc of cayman islands), and st georges is 17,500/semester (basically like US). u do 2 yrs basic sciences on the islands and 2 clinical yrs in hospitals in US.
i pretty much feel the same with u in terms if a doctor being a doctor. i was debating whether i should just work this coming year instead of going to the smp- my app is strong enough that i could get into a DO school without the smp and i wouldnt mind going to a DO school if an allopathic school does not accept me this cycle. but even though i feel that DO= USA MD=caribbean MD, i somehow feel that want to put it all out on the line with the smp- one last shot to proove myself. i guess its more of a personal matter for me in that i would regret passing up the smp and seeing how far it could take me.

i defintely agree that it would be harder landing a residency from a DO/caribbean school and that a bias does exist. just as it has been discussed
ad nauseam on the DO/caribbean threads, i whole heartedly believe that it u kick ass u will land a more than decent residency.

haha, i was trying to give some neutral thoughts but now i feel like advising u to go for it with the smp. if an extra 50K loan does not scare u away, come join us smp'ers and we can gun (in a kind and cooperative manner) for the elusive 4.0! :D btw, why is st. matthews so much cheaper?

i saw this question posted on the yahoo forum and i wanted to re-ask it here: do we have to send in a final transcript if we had classes this last semester?

and....how long did it take between your email acceptance and you snail mail packet? does it really take the whole 4 weeks that they mentioned in the email? i am getting worried that they sent that email to me by mistake or something... happened this year for berkeley's law school- they accidentally sent out email acceptances to everyone who applied!

markboonya said:
i saw this question posted on the yahoo forum and i wanted to re-ask it here: do we have to send in a final transcript if we had classes this last semester?

and....how long did it take between your email acceptance and you snail mail packet? does it really take the whole 4 weeks that they mentioned in the email? i am getting worried that they sent that email to me by mistake or something... happened this year for berkeley's law school- they accidentally sent out email acceptances to everyone who applied!

hey, it does take that much time so don't worry too much about it. They do send most of their notices by e-mail. I would have fwd'ed a few of my e-mails from last year, but I deactivated that account so I doubt it's there anymore. Really, don't worry! :cool:

markboonya said:
i pretty much feel the same with u in terms if a doctor being a doctor. i was debating whether i should just work this coming year instead of going to the smp- my app is strong enough that i could get into a DO school without the smp and i wouldnt mind going to a DO school if an allopathic school does not accept me this cycle. but even though i feel that DO= USA MD=caribbean MD, i somehow feel that want to put it all out on the line with the smp- one last shot to proove myself. i guess its more of a personal matter for me in that i would regret passing up the smp and seeing how far it could take me.

i defintely agree that it would be harder landing a residency from a DO/caribbean school and that a bias does exist. just as it has been discussed
ad nauseam on the DO/caribbean threads, i whole heartedly believe that it u kick ass u will land a more than decent residency.

haha, i was trying to give some neutral thoughts but now i feel like advising u to go for it with the smp. if an extra 50K loan does not scare u away, come join us smp'ers and we can gun (in a kind and cooperative manner) for the elusive 4.0! :D btw, why is st. matthews so much cheaper?

I definitely see your perspective in going to Georgetown and wish u the best of luck. From the research ive done, i feel like it's tough to go wrong with the SMP, based on prestige of the program, quality of teaching, and track record of success. As you said, the only "risk" is the hefty price tag. I appreciate your input!

To answer your question i think St Matthews is so much cheaper bc its relatively new (chartered in 1997) and perhaps bc Cayman Islands enjoys tax breaks. Also cost of living on the island is very high. Among the carribbean schools St George's is by far the most expensive.

okay, so who's a little bit worry about housing? I'm from cali and I havent found a place yet and school is only a couple months away.

pacboy said:
okay, so who's a little bit worry about housing? I'm from cali and I havent found a place yet and school is only a couple months away.

i still havent found housing, but then again havent really been looking deeply. i need to get crackin on it. i also dont really have an excuse... i live in the 'burbs of DC.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are you guys writing about smp in your ps? do u give details or just mention in briefly?

zahque said:
i just added one line about taking classes this year at georgetown's special masters program. nothing big.

Since many of you guys ask the specifics about personal statement, I remember writing last year how I enjoyed Dr. John deSesso's discussion during embryology because he made the concepts look really easy. Plus, he emphasized in detail what is really important and worth knowing. I also mentioned about how Dr. Maxted is a professor who truly empathized with the students by taking the clinical point of view in expecting how we are to learn his two lectures. Basically, argued that there are faculty who are really concerned and interested in MD students succeeding.

Perhaps you might not hear from this from other people because of the one-year interview thing, but if you want a hit-list of which professors to be wary of, I'd put Gallicano, Djakiew, Andrews, and Roman from the top of my head. :p

what is everyone doing about LORs? are you guys just reusing the letters you used last year with the addition of the letter you get once you get to gtown or are you guys getting brand new letters. i dont really have anything to add to my letters so i am not sure what to do.

also how much are the people who are living in river place paying right now (if you dont mind me asking). i was looking at a studio so i can avoid all distractions but didnt really want to pay more than 1050. i saw from craigslist that some units are availbale at this price but they all want early july move ins and i cant come out till august.

thanks for all the help

amizle said:
what is everyone doing about LORs? are you guys just reusing the letters you used last year with the addition of the letter you get once you get to gtown or are you guys getting brand new letters. i dont really have anything to add to my letters so i am not sure what to do.

I'll be re-using my letters from the 2005 application cycle. In addition, I'll add the SMP letter, a letter from my boss this past year and possibly a letter from a professor with whom I completed an independent study.

Does anyone know definitely which schools accept the SMP as credit for first year medical school (other than GT) and accept students from the SMP into their MS2 class?

If anyone knows of any schools for sure I would appreciate it because I would like to focus applying on such schools for my '07 application instead of "losing" a year at GT.

Thanks,
Omar

No schools will accept the SMP as the first year of medical school. You don't complete any shadowing and you don't partake in gross anatomy or genetics or medical school biochemistry. You do take a graduate school biochemistry class though.

Basically if you stay at GT you get exempted from most of the first year classes, but still have stuff to do. If you go to other schools you can petition at many schools for exemptions from individual classes, but it may cause you problems down the road. Basically just do the SMP and be a rockstar wherever you go afterwards, because there isn't a way that you are getting out of 4 years of medical school after the SMP the matter where in the US you go. Perhaps abroad there are places that'll give you advanced standing.

Just got this email:
---------------------
Dear Applicant:

Due to the tremendous number of applications for the Fall 2006 class,
including more than 200 that were submitted in the final 2 days before
the deadline, the application review process is still ongoing - more
than three weeks after the June 1 deadline. In addition, we are daily
still receiving supplemental materials for many applications.

In order to give fair consideration to all who submitted applications,
we are continuing to process and review these applications and do not
expect to make any further decisions for at least one next week, if not
more. In addition, our waitlist has not yet been ranked; the only
accurate prediction we can provide is that we will continue to accept
students from the waitlist until the day of orientation, August 11,
2006. If you no longer wish to be remain on the waitlist, please send us
a reply email and we will remove your name from the list.

We do understand that you are likely trying to make plans for your
education, housing, employment, etc. for the coming fall, and we
continue to work diligently to process these applications fairly yet
efficiently. Furthermore, we apologize for the delay and that we cannot
provide any further information on your waitlist status or ranking, but
hope that this communication can rest some of your anxiety for the time
being.

Sincerely,

Aureller Cabiness
Coordinator
---------------------
Guess I will be waiting even longer to find out. Oh well...did everyone else who applied late and/or is on the waitlist receive this email? Good luck all....

I got the same e-mail from Georgetown today, though I thought it was a little funny. I had been told by the office that I would hear something weeks ago, but never did. So I guess I'm on the waitlist but they didn't feel the need to let me know about it.

magentamoon said:
I got the same e-mail from Georgetown today, though I thought it was a little funny. I had been told by the office that I would hear something weeks ago, but never did. So I guess I'm on the waitlist but they didn't feel the need to let me know about it.
I think the letter was sent to all people on the waitlist AND those who applied and haven't heard back anything yet. I don't think it necessarily means you are on the waitlist, although at this point we might as well be I suppose.

KrnFord920 said:
i still havent found housing, but then again havent really been looking deeply. i need to get crackin on it. i also dont really have an excuse... i live in the 'burbs of DC.

are u a m/f? i'm a girl looking to share a master bedroom in a 3 br/3bath house. it's 2 blocks from campus, all utilities paid, 850 per person, and living room available. supposedly the br is split into two.. newly renovated.. and would be sharing w/ other smpers. if any of you guys are interested, please let me know. thanks.

- julie yoo
email: [email protected]

i'll room with you jules! :D

No gracias~ i remember how dirrty treehouse and haste house were.... haha
girls need only apply =P

julez7 said:
are u a m/f? i'm a girl looking to share a master bedroom in a 3 br/3bath house. it's 2 blocks from campus, all utilities paid, 850 per person, and living room available. supposedly the br is split into two.. newly renovated.. and would be sharing w/ other smpers. if any of you guys are interested, please let me know. thanks.

- julie yoo
aim sn: jyoolieu
email: [email protected]

sorry julie... male here (are you korean by any chance?). g'luck finding another roomie...

yah i am.. i'm guessing you are too... good luck finding a place~

The class of 2007 group that i posted above is currently by invite only, to limit spam and to close the group to only incoming SMP students. For those of you that have joined already, you may get booted off- but an email should be sent shortly to you to invite you to rejoin the group.

mi malo.

well, i won't be at the smp this august after all!

DATE: 06/30/2006

RE: Status Update

Congratulations!

We just couldn't wait to tell you that you have been accepted for admission to
the Albany Medical College.

A letter of acceptance, which describes the conditions upon which this offer is
made is being sent via surface mail and should arrive within a week to ten
days.

We hope you are as pleased to receive this good news, as we are to send it.

zahque said:
well, i won't be at the smp this august after all!

DATE: 06/30/2006

RE: Status Update

Congratulations!

We just couldn't wait to tell you that you have been accepted for admission to
the Albany Medical College.

A letter of acceptance, which describes the conditions upon which this offer is
made is being sent via surface mail and should arrive within a week to ten
days.

We hope you are as pleased to receive this good news, as we are to send it.

CONGRATS!! That's a GREAT reason not to be at Georgetown :thumbup:

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen a med school acceptance letter. Congrats!

I haven't finished my application yet but I am going to be applying to the SMP program also.

Laurenabella said:
I haven't finished my application yet but I am going to be applying to the SMP program also.
I'm pretty sure the deadline passed over a month ago.

I havn't heard anything from georgetown but I got accepted to Loyola's MAMS program. I live in chicago so Loyola is local, but I really want to go to Georgetown.... I guess I'll call Georgetown Tommorow....

I hope I have good enough stats to get in (33 MCAT, 3.55 GPA) I'm currently applying to med school so I have a year off and figure I might as well do a masters

I guess this is where it helps to apply early (which I didn't do)....

630670 said:
I havn't heard anything from georgetown but I got accepted to Loyola's MAMS program. I live in chicago so Loyola is local, but I really want to go to Georgetown.... I guess I'll call Georgetown Tommorow....

I hope I have good enough stats to get in (33 MCAT, 3.55 GPA) I'm currently applying to med school so I have a year off and figure I might as well do a masters

I guess this is where it helps to apply early (which I didn't do)....

your numbers look just about the same as mine. if you'd applied early, you'd probably be in right now.

I just e-mailed someone from Georgetown, since its july 4th I doubt i'll get a response until tom...

(Start sarcasm) yah rolling admissions..... (end sarcasm)

have people received whatever package we're supposed to get in the mail after we turn in our deposit??

i turned in my deposit over a month ago, and still have yet to receive anything in the mail.

also, when are we supposed to mail in our transcripts, and what's the address we mail it to? (my book bag with all that information was stolen, so don't have it with me).

KrnFord920 said:
have people received whatever package we're supposed to get in the mail after we turn in our deposit??

i turned in my deposit over a month ago, and still have yet to receive anything in the mail.

also, when are we supposed to mail in our transcripts, and what's the address we mail it to? (my book bag with all that information was stolen, so don't have it with me).

Hey man,
I didnt get any packet either- all my info came from the official acceptance letter. I got bits of mail from the GoCard student office, finaid, and student health. I wouldnt worry about it- it couldnt hurt to email Aureller Cabiness though just to make sure your deposit was received.
You should also mail in your transcripts asap- for some reason 90 days after the acceptance seems to ring a bell, but I was accepted back in February so dont quote me on that. Hope that helps!
-Billy

groups.yahoo.com/group/smp07/

Transcripts? I'm confuzzled. I haven't been sent anything requesting anything. Now you've got me concerned.

The transcript was due June 30. I have received 3 mailings from Gtown.

1. Acceptance letter w/ directions for submitting deposit and final transcript
2. Letter with my NetID, Email address, and GoCard number
3. Financial aid packet with Stafford loan maximums

do u know if transcripts were post graduation, do we still to send them in?

madonna said:
do u know if transcripts were post graduation, do we still to send them in?

I don't think so. At least, I haven't been asked for new transcripts of any type.

Ergh, i havent gotten anything about an email addy, netid or Gocard. They prolly didn't ask for my transcripts though cuz at the time of application I was done with school - so that's a slight load off my mind, but now I want my other info *sigh*.

Also, Tacrum got in - and to a fantastic school. In case you still read this man, congrats! I'm gonna model my SMP career after you.