Official: Georgetown SMP Class of 07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dooooom,

They take a few of us, but they usually take them a year after they graduate - they like to see the whole year's grades.

If this is the case, then is there any point in applying to GW the year of the SMP?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, because sometimes they take them during the SMP year. (I know of at least two last year, and at least one so far this year.)

Applying to med school is just a numbers game. You gotta apply to any place that gives you a shot. That's part of the advantage/disadvantage of GT (depending on your perspective.) While you aren't guaranteed at any one school, you are guaranteed a pretty good shot of getting in *somewhere*

If this is the case, then is there any point in applying to GW the year of the SMP?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in the process of applying with a 3.12 and an MCAT of 26M. Should I bother with continuing or not? Thanks.

I'm currently in the process of applying with a 3.12 and an MCAT of 26M. Should I bother with continuing or not? Thanks.

They have a minimum MCAT of 27 required to apply. I would call them to talk about whether or not you would otherwise qualify for the program, because otherwise you're probably just throwing your money away.

Dooooom,

I know of one current SMP who was just accepted to GW, but she doesn't come on here, that I know of.

Two of my friends from last year are at GW now (one of 'em, Tacrum, is on here fairly often.)

You'll probably have between 5 and 10 GT ex-SMP's in your class. They take a few of us, but they usually take them a year after they graduate - they like to see the whole year's grades.

Yep, there are a few of us SMPers here at GW. :)

There are three from my SMP class that are currently first years here at GW (two of us got off the waitlist, and one was accepted straight away post-interview). I also know that two people in the 06' SMP class received an interview here and were waitlisted, and then ended up withdrawing before waitlist movement got underway because they were accepted somewhere else that they preferred. And yes, as imrep mentioned, there are several (around 5 or 6) people here from the 05' SMP class and I think one from the '04 class.

hey guys, i sent in my 5-hundo a few weeks ago and planning on heading to D.C. sometime in june hopefully (housing permitting). stats:
B.S. Biological Sciences Fall 2006
3.39 UCSB (3.21 bcpm)
29R MCAT (v9 p10 b10)

WGBII when did you graduate?? looking forward to seeing all the Californians out there;

good luck to those still waiting

According to their website, it says that they recommend a 27, not requiring. I'll check into it regardless, though.

According to their website, it says that they recommend a 27, not requiring. I'll check into it regardless, though.

Ah, you are correct. I just saw the 3.0 and 27 and assumed the were required, not the typical minimum. My mistake. :oops:

Yea, but either way, I still don't feel horribly confident in getting in there. I have both GPA and MCAT scores that are below their averages. It's one of my top choices for post-bacc programs, but still seems like a long shot. Well, I'll hope for the best and see what happens!

For those who got into the Gtown SMP, how long did it take for you to hear back after getting the "complete" email?

i was sent an email saying my app was complete on jan 31st, and i received a congratulatory acceptance email on feb 8th...

hope that helps! goodluck!

Hey guys,

Is it too late for me to apply into this program now? I know their deadline is May 1st or something but I'm just curious if I'd even have a shot.

Some of my stats: cali resident, 27 mcat, 3.65 cum gpa, 3.60 bcpm gpa

Only got one interview this last cycle and want to reapply, retake the mcat, etc. I'm considering doing other regular masters programs, but not sure what I should do. What do u guys think ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Is it too late for me to apply into this program now? I know their deadline is May 1st or something but I'm just curious if I'd even have a shot.

Only got one interview this last cycle and want to reapply, retake the mcat, etc. I'm considering doing other regular masters programs, but not sure what I should do. What do u guys think ?

People still get in on July/August. But with your stats, I think SMP is not cost-efficient. Just strive for a better MCAT.

People still get in on July/August. But with your stats, I think SMP is not cost-efficient. Just strive for a better MCAT.

I agree. If you have over a 3.5 sci and non-science, the $50,000 SMP probably isn't worth the cost. Pay $1,500 for a Kaplan course instead.

So basically are SMP's for those who have sub-par gpa's?

Yeah, the mcat is something I definately have to get up. I'm just really indecisive right now...either its do a 2 yr masters (which may not look good if I apply to schools while still in the program) or basically take classes at a university through its extension and maybe do some research for the next year. Either way I think I need to go back to school cus I'm getting bored...any suggestions?

I've heard that many schools frown upon people that apply to medical school without the intention of finishing their program (say leaving a 2 year master's program if you get into medical school). That may be risky.

If I were you, I'd do research or work in some clinical setting, maybe take a few classes on the side, but I agree with others that your GPA is good enough that you don't need an SMP. Just my two cents though.

So basically are SMP's for those who have sub-par gpa's?

Yeah, the mcat is something I definately have to get up. I'm just really indecisive right now...either its do a 2 yr masters (which may not look good if I apply to schools while still in the program) or basically take classes at a university through its extension and maybe do some research for the next year. Either way I think I need to go back to school cus I'm getting bored...any suggestions?

i was sent an email saying my app was complete on jan 31st, and i received a congratulatory acceptance email on feb 8th...

hope that helps! goodluck!
Hey Doc,

you going to georgetown smp? If so, I'll see you there this fall! Woohoo for acceptance (yesterday morning, app submitted march 9, email march 28, acceptance april 4).

do you think it is possible to get into georgetown's SMP with only GRE scores?

do you think it is possible to get into georgetown's SMP with only GRE scores?

It's possible. You should check the yahoo group (link on georgetown's SMP site), and look through old posts and Dr. Meyer's answer. From what I remember, they prefer MCAT, but I think they'll look at your GRE scores (since I assume you'll be applying to med school, you should be planning on taking the MCAT anyway).

just wondering...is the whole student advantage card for 20 bucks a year really worth it?

Hey guys,

save yourself time and money

study and retake the mcat. you don't need the smp

just wondering...is the whole student advantage card for 20 bucks a year really worth it?

I never used one, never bought one, never missed it.

I'd say look at the companies you get discounts from and decide if you might use them enough to get your $20 back. If so, then it will be worth it to you.

another quick question...do they provide lecture recordings? or is it advisable to buy a recorder if needed?

another quick question...do they provide lecture recordings? or is it advisable to buy a recorder if needed?

All the med lectures are recorded for you. They are posted on blackboard.

Dr. Sherman will record his own graduate classes and post them for you.

MIM is not recorded, so for that class, you may want to have a recorder, but its not necessary.

is the 3.0 min overall gpa or sci gpa?

is the 3.0 min overall gpa or sci gpa?

Overall GPA. I believe it is a university wide requirement for grad students. But exceptions are sometimes made.

i have a 3.73 overall and 3.69...have the extra currics, but got a 26Q on MCAT. should i apply to this program.. damn those mcats...it sucks knowing that every party i said for every party taht i said no to for four years, every night my friends were drinking and i was studying, every social gathering i didint go to, and all the sacrifices i made in terms of a social life for the past four years...could very well lead to absolutley nothing..because of one damn test...i cant afford to pay for prep classes nor could i find time duirng hte school year to study...dammit...waht should i do? any suggestions?

i have a 3.73 overall and 3.69...have the extra currics, but got a 26Q on MCAT. should i apply to this program.. damn those mcats...it sucks knowing that every party i said for every party taht i said no to for four years, every night my friends were drinking and i was studying, every social gathering i didint go to, and all the sacrifices i made in terms of a social life for the past four years...could very well lead to absolutley nothing..because of one damn test...i cant afford to pay for prep classes nor could i find time duirng hte school year to study...dammit...waht should i do? any suggestions?

You should most definitely retake the MCAT (I'm assuming you've only taken it once?). With your GPA, in my opinion an SMP would not be in your best interest. Find the time to study-that's what the MCAT takes. I think you pretty much answered your own question.

i cant afford to pay for prep classes nor could i find time duirng hte school year to study...dammit...waht should i do? any suggestions?

Well taking out $50,000+ in student loans hardly seems like a more economical option, IMHO, especially when the program wouldn't really benefit you with your good GPA. Instead of spending a year in the SMP, it would seem to make more sense to take a year off and get a job to help pay for MCAT test prep materials, etc.

Alternatively, a 26 isn't *that* bad, and with your good GPA there's many DO schools and probably a few MD that would accept you anyway so long as your EC's and LOR's are in order.

Just my two cents. :luck:

hey all, just out of curiosity, but is UG institution (small private v. big public etc.) factored in..for getting into the Georgetown SMP? Also, how rare is it for someone in the SMP program to then also be admitted to the Med School?
thanks

hey all, just out of curiosity, but is UG institution (small private v. big public etc.) factored in..for getting into the Georgetown SMP? Also, how rare is it for someone in the SMP program to then also be admitted to the Med School?
thanks

I don't know about undergrad being a factor.

As for getting into Georgetown med from the SMP, they usually take about 25-30 students from the class which has about 155 students. The GPA you earn in the SMP is the biggest factor, but not the only one once you reach a certain cutoff (usually about a 3.7).

So what was the earliest that people heard of an acceptance last year?

I have a 32/3.2 from a solid liberal arts school and was just recently accepted.

Hopefully some of the current and old Georgetown SMPers still check this board, this question is for them.

What are your opinions/experiences regarding re-applying to medical school?

I find myself really wanting to re-apply after I complete the SMP but have read that most students apply during the program. I lost a lot of focus this year while I worried through the medical school application cycle and I really don't want that to happen while I am trying to balance the coursework of the SMP. Nothing on my application has changed accept for my admission into the SMP. Can anyone give me some advice?

Try posting your question here

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/physios/
Hopefully some of the current and old Georgetown SMPers still check this board, this question is for them.

I find myself really wanting to re-apply after I complete the SMP but have read that most students apply during the program. I lost a lot of focus this year while I worried through the medical school application cycle and I really don’t want that to happen while I am trying to balance the coursework of the SMP. Nothing on my application has changed accept for my admission into the SMP. Can anyone give me some advice?

I find myself really wanting to re-apply after I complete the SMP but have read that most students apply during the program. I lost a lot of focus this year while I worried through the medical school application cycle and I really don’t want that to happen while I am trying to balance the coursework of the SMP. Nothing on my application has changed accept for my admission into the SMP. Can anyone give me some advice?

It is highly recommended that you apply during the SMP year. This will really maximize your chances, especially for getting into Georgetown med. It's okay that the SMP is the only new thing so far for your app. It's a big thing! Make sure to mention it and why you feel it will benefit you as a future medical student.

It's true that it's a hassle trying to balance the SMP and the applications. However, if you are on the ball and get all of your secondaries in BEFORE classes start, then all you have to do is wait for interview invites to roll in. And update schools on your grades, of course.

But...if you really think it's not for you, then it's OK to wait. A few schools (like the UC's) will only consider your grades after you're completely done.