Official: Georgetown SMP Class of 07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WBGIII

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New to the forum, just got my acceptance today via email. Anybody else heard the good word yet? Just looking for some future classmates.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Just out of curiosity, when was your application complete?

Neptune07 said:
Congrats! Just out of curiosity, when was your application complete?

I already started an SMP thread, but if we want this to be the official one then we can do that :D

I got accepted yesterday too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, completing SMP threads! We might need to consolidate all of the posts from the other two SMP threads.

after waiting and waiting and waiting for something, anything, to happen, i just got an email from georgetown! go figure! hence, if i don't get into an md program this year at least i'll be headed to grad school, meaning i won't have to sit around on my fat-ass waiting anymore!

i'm so RELIEVED... more relieved than being stuck in rush hour traffic over the bay bridge and having to pee so badly but the seatbelt is tight right over your bladder and then having to hold it for 20 more minutes before you can run into the house to relieve yourself!! now i can finally focus on twiddling my thumbs and resurrecting "swell" into american slang...

haha congratulations guys. can I ask you guys what your stats were? I really REALLY want to go here, but I don't think my 3.51/27 MCAT is gonna cut it, especially with RFU out of the picture. My application should be complete sometime soon so it's only a matter of time, huh. :luck: later guys

River Rat said:
haha congratulations guys. can I ask you guys what your stats were? I really REALLY want to go here, but I don't think my 3.51/27 MCAT is gonna cut it, especially with RFU out of the picture. My application should be complete sometime soon so it's only a matter of time, huh. :luck: later guys

keep up the faith river; i had a 3.1/27 out of ucla...but i was in the class of 03
they usually take people with a high mcat and a lower gpa; you've got the reverse...so hopefully you'll get in

but i got in with a low everything...its still early

I was complete about 2 weeks ago. So it sounds like we've got someone from the bay and ucla... and I went to ucsb. yeah cali!

WBGIII said:
I was complete about 2 weeks ago. So it sounds like we've got someone from the bay and ucla... and I went to ucsb. yeah cali!

you'll find alot of cali people there :p

WBGIII said:

go gauchers

Go tritons :p

I just got accepted yesterday as well, and my application was complete at GT before many of the people that got their acceptance a few days back. SO if you haven't gotten your letter yet, hang in there!

i found out my app has been put "on hold" til the spring. getting kinda depressed now that my poor UG GPA (<3.0) will 4ever keep me out of med school - although i do have 1 interview on tues, i'm not too hopeful since adcoms seem 2 define me by what i did 10 yrs ago. hopefully, getting the interview puts me on a clean slate with other interviewees and they don't look at the numbers again when deciding. guess i won't hear about the SMP til spring - the "spring group" probably means a couple of more months of not hearing anything. i can't even seem to get rejections sent out 2 me...had a crappy bday yesterday and wish this process would all b over so that i can start on the reapp process.

first of all, again, congratulations to everyone who got an acceptence!

for those that did get in and haven't done so yet, can you post your complete date and gpa/mcat stats. i think it would be most helpful for those of us waiting to hear something.

alchemist - how did you find out your were put on 'hold'. call? email? i feel like i'm in the same situation as you and would at least like to know that i'm on 'hold' so i don't constantly check my email. =) i feel for you though. its been a rough road. i'm still waiting to hear from 4 med schools, but things don't look promising. good luck on the interview!

finally, shout out to the bay area and tritons. i didn't realize there were so many of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
the alchemist said:
i found out my app has been put "on hold" til the spring. getting kinda depressed now that my poor UG GPA (<3.0) will 4ever keep me out of med school - although i do have 1 interview on tues, i'm not too hopeful since adcoms seem 2 define me by what i did 10 yrs ago. hopefully, getting the interview puts me on a clean slate with other interviewees and they don't look at the numbers again when deciding. guess i won't hear about the SMP til spring - the "spring group" probably means a couple of more months of not hearing anything. i can't even seem to get rejections sent out 2 me...had a crappy bday yesterday and wish this process would all b over so that i can start on the reapp process.

Sorry about the SMP thing... but hey keep your head up and keep working hard! I know it's cliche but if there's a will there's a way! Thanks for the help on the essay and good luck on that interview.

Tommyk7 said:
Sorry about the SMP thing... but hey keep your head up and keep working hard! I know it's cliche but if there's a will there's a way! Thanks for the help on the essay and good luck on that interview.

thx tommy. glad i could help. who knows what'll happen in the spring anyways, right?

I'm in! I am so incredibly happy! I'm waiting to hear from a few other places, but this is in all likelihood my top choice.

Since you want them, my stats are:
3.3 GPA (2.9 BCPM) from a top 10 school
30 Q MCAT

Everybody hang in there!

I'm tempted to apply but don't know if I should bother.

I submitted my application on the 18th of Jan, was complete about 2 weeks ago, and heard that I got in on Tuesday. Keep the faith those who haven't heard yet, and keep a positive attitude, it goes a long way.

WOOHOO! I just got an acceptance email! I only have a 3.2 GPA with 27 on my MCATS so there's hope for all you out there!

Tommyk7 said:
WOOHOO! I just got an acceptance email! I only have a 3.2 GPA with 27 on my MCATS so there's hope for all you out there!

congrats tommy. so guess u rn't applying 2 drexel anymore?

the alchemist said:

I just got the official snail mail acceptance today. Glad we dont have to shell out the 500 bills until April....

So how is the workload on this bad-boy looking?

Man, you guys are gonna have so much fun as physios...

Just wait until you have endocrinology with Dr. Lumpkin. That guy is a riot.

Good luck to you all...be prepared to work super hard!!! :luck:

LadyWolverine said:
Man, you guys are gonna have so much fun as physios...

Just wait until you have endocrinology with Dr. Lumpkin. That guy is a riot.

Good luck to you all...be prepared to work super hard!!! :luck:
So how many hours a day did you think you studied? Just curious really.

Dr. Who MD said:
So how many hours a day did you think you studied? Just curious really.

3-4 during the week at most, maybe 5 on weekends. you'll hear a ton of "oh, you'll need to put in AT LEAST 5 hours daily to succeed," but i think that's a big overexaggeration. it really depends on your own study habits. best of luck, you guys.

the alchemist said:

thanks! yeah, I don't think I am going to apply to drexel anymore. :p

hey guys, how did you know your application was complete? I checked the website and it says it's complete there but haven't gotten any emails from the office telling me I'm complete. No biggie, really, just curious if I'm supposed to be expecting an email.

I knew I was complete based on the application website. They did not send me any sort of notification regarding completion of the app.

Hey guys, I just had a question...I got in to the SMP, but I am still holding out on getting off waiting lists for med schools...does Gtown account for that or do we have to send in the $500 deposit in April (which would suck)? So if for some reason I get off a waitlist, is my 500 gone?:(

Yeah, I sent my application in Jan. 4th and in early Feb. still did not receive an email verifying that I was complete. So I called Ms. Cabiness and asked her what was missing. She told me and so I faxed those missing materials in then called again to verify that she got my fax and she told me she did. My status changed to complete on the website without any notification via email. Moral: to keep in contact with Ms. Cabiness and make sure your stuff is all set. :thumbup:

joe05 said:
Hey guys, I just had a question...I got in to the SMP, but I am still holding out on getting off waiting lists for med schools...does Gtown account for that or do we have to send in the $500 deposit in April (which would suck)? So if for some reason I get off a waitlist, is my 500 gone?:(

Its gone....

BOBODR said:
Its gone....

Have any of you SMP'rs not applied to med school yet? I ask because I will apply after I have already graduated with ~3.4 GPA, so I will have a year between college and when I could matriculate anyways...

Zoom-Zoom said:
Have any of you SMP'rs not applied to med school yet? I ask because I will apply after I have already graduated with ~3.4 GPA, so I will have a year between college and when I could matriculate anyways...
People do this. Your GPA is in that gray area. It's good (really, it's better than mine) but it's not med-school stellar. What about becoming a super-senior (5th year) and taking a bunch of upper-div BCPM courses to improve that GPA?
Or, have you considered enrolling in an SMP? (that was a bad joke, that's why you're not laughing.)

jebus said:
People do this. Your GPA is in that gray area. It's good (really, it's better than mine) but it's not med-school stellar. What about becoming a super-senior (5th year) and taking a bunch of upper-div BCPM courses to improve that GPA?
Or, have you considered enrolling in an SMP? (that was a bad joke, that's why you're not laughing.)

Haha...I am laughing

Actually, I will be a super senior, which is why I am hesitant about doing a SMP unless I absolutely have to.

My grades should be ~3.4 (maybe 3.5) after my 5th year, so I don't intend to apply to med schools until after I graduate. This means I will have a year off before I could matriculate.

Now, if I decide to not do the SMP and find out the year after my 5th year that I need to re-apply, then I will end up doing an SMP anyway and will have lost yet another year of my life (relatively speaking ;) ). 5th year + year of waiting/rejections + SMP year and re-apps = I could have practically gotten a phd. :oops: On the flip side, I could not do an SMP and hope I get in, or do the SMP and maximize my odds and my workload. It's a gamble, but I'm not really a gambler, so I'll probably end up going the SMP route, I guess.

medstylee said:
3-4 during the week at most, maybe 5 on weekends. you'll hear a ton of "oh, you'll need to put in AT LEAST 5 hours daily to succeed," but i think that's a big overexaggeration. it really depends on your own study habits. best of luck, you guys.

Sorry, I'm gonna have to disagree. I'm in the program right now and I would say that definitely study at least 5 hours a day.

This just goes to show though, everyone's different. For those of you that know you're definitely coming here, feel free to PM me and I can tell you more about how to get prepared. The first few weeks of school can be pretty daunting and I wish I came better prepared.

calbear15 said:
Sorry, I'm gonna have to disagree. I'm in the program right now and I would say that definitely study at least 5 hours a day.

This just goes to show though, everyone's different. For those of you that know you're definitely coming here, feel free to PM me and I can tell you more about how to get prepared. The first few weeks of school can be pretty daunting and I wish I came better prepared.

i think you just misunderstood me. the jist (gist?) of my post was just what you're saying - it depends on your own study habits. i was just answering someone who asked how many hours we each personally studied. when i said 3-4 hours a day, i was just referring to how many hours i studied when i was in the program last year. that worked just fine for me - i finished with over a 3.6. but, for others, the suggested 5+ hours a day might be necessary. i was just saying the 5 hours a day is made out to sound like a mandatory practice when it really doesn't have to be (i feel the same way about the pressure that is put on the smp students to apply to med school during the smp year, but that's another story...).

i definitely agree with your sentiment about the first few weeks. in retrospect, embryo probably should have been one of the easiest med courses. but, it was my worst grade. and, looking back, i wish i had been more prepared up front. anyway, i too will be happy to answer any pm's about the program and how having gone through it has helped me in the med admissions process. best of luck to all you guys currently in the program and to those who will be attending next year. :thumbup:

yup, i was the same...i definitely didnt study 5 hours a day...maybe 2-3 hours a day but alot more a week before exams...and 3.5 for me

medstylee said:
i think you just misunderstood me. the jist (gist?) of my post was just what you're saying - it depends on your own study habits. i was just answering someone who asked how many hours we each personally studied. when i said 3-4 hours a day, i was just referring to how many hours i studied when i was in the program last year. that worked just fine for me - i finished with over a 3.6. but, for others, the suggested 5+ hours a day might be necessary. i was just saying the 5 hours a day is made out to sound like a mandatory practice when it really doesn't have to be (i feel the same way about the pressure that is put on the smp students to apply to med school during the smp year, but that's another story...).

i definitely agree with your sentiment about the first few weeks. in retrospect, embryo probably should have been one of the easiest med courses. but, it was my worst grade. and, looking back, i wish i had been more prepared up front. anyway, i too will be happy to answer any pm's about the program and how having gone through it has helped me in the med admissions process. best of luck to all you guys currently in the program and to those who will be attending next year. :thumbup:

Man, my studying habits suck. Why the hell did I get stuck with studying 5 hours a day? Forget this. Oh wait, I can't. I just rememered that I'm stupid. That's why I have to put in more time.

You guys are right though. Everyone's different. And that's the important thing. Don't feel pressured into buying a textbook because everyone else is reading the book, and don't feel pressured into studying 5-6hours a day just because everyone else does. You have to figure out what works for you. You might be a 2-3 hour a day person or a 7-8 hour a day person.

The important thing right now for most of you people that just got accepted is to square away your personal statements and your letters of recommendations. Get your applications done ASAP.

DrHuang said:
yup, i was the same...i definitely didnt study 5 hours a day...maybe 2-3 hours a day but alot more a week before exams...and 3.5 for me

i'm effing relieved and content that i got into the program, but i also feel indescribably blah about it as well. it really kills your buzz when you're partying and people say "oh i hear you're moving! congrats you got into med school!" and then i feel compelled to go into the "no, i didn't (not yet?) and it's a special grad school program but i'm not giving up on med school and blah blah blah blah blah" speech. :barf:
don't get me wrong, i'm content. i prefer ecstatically happy and fulfilled beyond orgasm, that's all.

red dot said:
i'm effing relieved and content that i got into the program, but i also feel indescribably blah about it as well. it really kills your buzz when you're partying and people say "oh i hear you're moving! congrats you got into med school!" and then i feel compelled to go into the "no, i didn't (not yet?) and it's a special grad school program but i'm not giving up on med school and blah blah blah blah blah" speech. :barf:
don't get me wrong, i'm content. i prefer ecstatically happy and fulfilled beyond orgasm, that's all.
LOL, yeah, the distinction is a painfully long speech to make. I usually tell people I'm taking 50/50 grad school/med school classes and leave it at that.

I haven't had any problems with explaining; so far the fact that its got 'Georgetown' written on it doesnt matter why/what im doing there. I could be getting a masters in underwater basket-weaving and the fact that its at georgetown seems to give it credibility to my peers/family.

i just got my official acceptance in my mailbox today, and i'm gonna hold onto my 500 clams until i get an acceptance from a med school or 4/15 -- whichever comes first. i think the latter will come first at this point, so i'm looking at off-campus housing.

does anyone know where the best places to look are? i've got a car i plan to bring but i don't wanna find myself getting stuck in winter traffic one day trying to get to class, so i'm looking for a place close by. i'm looking for a place under 1000 bucks/mo, and if it's not furnished, all i plan to buy over there is a mattress, a kitchen table, and kitchenware. i'm also open to sharing an apt...

For those of you who have been accepted: The online personal statement? Huh? Do you just paste in your AMCAS essay? If you answer and I end up going to the SMP, I will buy you a cookie. A good cookie - not one of those nasty fiber chips ahoy cookies (Ewww. I saw these in the supermarket today. Ewww.), or maybe I'll make you a cookie.
My point: huh?
Thanks.

Yeah, on the physios message board the main guy said the AMCAS PS is fine. It's what I submitted at any rate.

I should also say that I sent in two copies (ha) of my AMCAS app - one online and one hard copy. So, I guess they got three copies of the PS. But yeah, I pasted the essay into the PS field - that could be a source of confusion I suppose.

I give you cookie.
Ideally, it will be a butter cookie with MJ's beautiful face airbrushed on. Mmmm, mmmm good.

WBGIII said:
I haven't had any problems with explaining; so far the fact that its got 'Georgetown' written on it doesnt matter why/what im doing there. I could be getting a masters in underwater basket-weaving and the fact that its at georgetown seems to give it credibility to my peers/family.

Yes, I experienced the same thing last year. People were like "Ooh, Georgetown." They've heard of it before, you see. Name recognition goes along way with people who aren't involved in the process. They probably were more impressed with my SMP acceptance than they would be if I had gotten into UCSF for med school.

red dot said:
does anyone know where the best places to look are? i've got a car i plan to bring but i don't wanna find myself getting stuck in winter traffic one day trying to get to class, so i'm looking for a place close by. i'm looking for a place under 1000 bucks/mo, and if it's not furnished, all i plan to buy over there is a mattress, a kitchen table, and kitchenware. i'm also open to sharing an apt...

Most people don't drive to school, because there is very limited parking for students. Either they live close enough to walk, or they take the metro (subway), bus, and/or the Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle (GUTS). However, having a car for running errands is very handy.

There are very few apartment buildings near the school. The ones that are at all close to the school are small, old buildings and the rent is about $1350/month for a 1BR. The only university owned housing is for undergrads. Therefore, people tend to either share a townhouse (4-5 people for $3,500/month), live out in Virginia where there are apartments, or live in a basement apartment (like I do). My rent is $900/month for a furnished 1BR, but there is no living room, I have no oven and I don't really have an address (it's basically half way between renting a room and having an apartment). Apparently, $900/month for this is a fairly good deal. Housing is very expensive around Georgetown.

IMHO, the best way to make certain you get a decent place to live is to come out here in June or July and physically visit potential places. Just drive around and look for "For Rent" signs with phone numbers, as well as talk to the off-campus housing office at Georgetown. Craigslist is pretty good too. Actually looking at the places is good not only for location, but for things you can only tell by going there, like if it smells bad or if it doesn't actually look like the pictures. Also, there is some landlord out there with a house he calls "The Physio House". It is actually quite far away for walking to school. Just FYI.

Another thing (man, this post is getting long): Parking on the street requires a DC permit. Because the Georgetown area is the way it is, they decided they didn't want a bunch of student's cars clogging up the street, and so you can only get a permit for 6 months unless you register your car in DC and get a DC driver's license. Therefore, if you want to live near the school and have a car, you need to either register it in DC (and pay all of the associated fees, as well as dealing with the ridiculously slow DC DMV) or park off the street. Renting a parking space here (when you can find one) costs about $100-150/month, unless your house/apartment already comes with one. That being said, I tried life here without a car. I lasted a whole month. I have a new found love for my car and the independence that comes with it, and I think it's totally worth it to have one here.

tacrum,
you rawk. thank you! may i ask you more dc/georgetown questions later?

jebus,
it better be a special cookie! ready? *drum roll* i just pasted my amcas personal statement to the essay part of the application. and i sent them a copy of my whole amcas as well. the whole app took me, like, 20 minutes or so. (i had to add the like).

calbear15 said:
You guys are right though. Everyone's different. And that's the important thing. Don't feel pressured into buying a textbook because everyone else is reading the book.

Most of those textbooks were SUCH a waste of money!!! Especially that huge a$$ cell bio one that was recommended for CMP. Im sure its a great reference, but theres no way in hell u need that tome to understand the material and get an A in the class. I had a serious problem with buying every single board review book. For the first semester, theres a great review book for embryo, I dont remember the name but it has white cover and a drawing of fetus on the front, books for immuno/micro and CMP are useless since its straight from the syllabus. THe Histo Atlas (Junquiera?) was awesome but dont get the board review since lecture exam is STRAIGHT from syllabus. Board review books for physio were pretty good, especially for getting key concepts down for cardio. Neuro board review is ok too but I would still go with the syllabus (the atlas for neuro lab is a must), you definitely dont need text for endo since syllabus and notes are great, and Biostats is a joke (no one goes) altho the High Yeild book for Biostats was one of the most useful texts I had bought all yr. Frankly I think you could get by with syllabus + class notes (old and new) without buying any texts (save the histo and neuro atlas)....memorize, memorize, memorize cuz in my opinion, there wasnt much integration at all until you got to Physio,endo and neuro. Congrats you guys and good luck

red dot said:
tacrum,
you rawk. thank you! may i ask you more dc/georgetown questions later?

Yes. Yes, you may. :) Not that I'm the authority on the subject or anything though, having lived here for a whole 7 months.

Vizsla, you are so right about the CMP book. "The Molecular Biology of the Cell" is the one we used in my undergrad Cell Bio class. It is the worst text book I've ever used. Ugh, it is so awful. It is WAY too detailed, the text is poorly written anyway, and the diagrams are ugly and only served to confuse me more. At least I only had to pay for it once, though.

tacrum43 said:
Most people don't drive to school, because there is very limited parking for students. Either they live close enough to walk, or they take the metro (subway), bus, and/or the Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle (GUTS). However, having a car for running errands is very handy.

There are very few apartment buildings near the school. The ones that are at all close to the school are small, old buildings and the rent is about $1350/month for a 1BR. The only university owned housing is for undergrads. Therefore, people tend to either share a townhouse (4-5 people for $3,500/month), live out in Virginia where there are apartments, or live in a basement apartment (like I do). My rent is $900/month for a furnished 1BR, but there is no living room, I have no oven and I don't really have an address (it's basically half way between renting a room and having an apartment). Apparently, $900/month for this is a fairly good deal. Housing is very expensive around Georgetown.

IMHO, the best way to make certain you get a decent place to live is to come out here in June or July and physically visit potential places. Just drive around and look for "For Rent" signs with phone numbers, as well as talk to the off-campus housing office at Georgetown. Craigslist is pretty good too. Actually looking at the places is good not only for location, but for things you can only tell by going there, like if it smells bad or if it doesn't actually look like the pictures. Also, there is some landlord out there with a house he calls "The Physio House". It is actually quite far away for walking to school. Just FYI.

Another thing (man, this post is getting long): Parking on the street requires a DC permit. Because the Georgetown area is the way it is, they decided they didn't want a bunch of student's cars clogging up the street, and so you can only get a permit for 6 months unless you register your car in DC and get a DC driver's license. Therefore, if you want to live near the school and have a car, you need to either register it in DC (and pay all of the associated fees, as well as dealing with the ridiculously slow DC DMV) or park off the street. Renting a parking space here (when you can find one) costs about $100-150/month, unless your house/apartment already comes with one. That being said, I tried life here without a car. I lasted a whole month. I have a new found love for my car and the independence that comes with it, and I think it's totally worth it to have one here.

Good to know tacrum, thanks for all the info. I am planning on moving out there in June, doing the cross-country drive thing from cali. When do most leases start out there? As much of an intimate relationship I have with my car, I would rather not live in it over the summer if leases start in August. How do most students meet up and get a house together, through Aureller? What is your situation- are you looking for someone to take over your lease in June/July? :)