Official: Georgetown SMP Class of 07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm lookinh for a place to stay for this coming year. I dont know the area that well. Is Glover Park accesible to Georgetown without a car?

Members don't see this ad.

gusmp06 said:
First and foremost, waiting until August 11th is a bad idea. It is your decision, but prior experience applying in two cycles showed me and many others that you really should have the application submitted like yesterday. (well, you need to have it grammatically correct, etc also though)

Regarding the LOR name, if you really are desperate about it, write Professor Myers' name. Otherwise, even if you leave it blank, it won't make a whole lot of difference because Georgetown will submit (Actually she devises a system that makes you do it on your own) letters as soon as you begin the SMP program.

One word on orientation. Some people may not like to be active in front of 150 people so if you don't want to be standing in front of all of your class, introducing yourself (which Mrs. Cabiness does), then you might want to consider skipping the session after 12 pm on the second day. You can always come back for the barbecue around 5pm :p

Also, Dr. Myers makes a big deal about how students need to let the coordinators "talk to the medical schools", but don't count on that becoming a miracle that sends all of the students in to medical school because of Dr. Myers or Dr. Mulroney's personal status. If you want that kind of connection, this program does not have it. You still need to put in the effort to make it happen and remember that the 50% first year and 70-80% second year trying is still in effect even with this supposed "talking to medical schools" that they claim to do.

If I put Dr. Myers name what should I put for the title. Just "Program Director" or something generic like that?

pacboy said:
I'm lookinh for a place to stay for this coming year. I dont know the area that well. Is Glover Park accesible to Georgetown without a car?

The south end of glover park is just across the street from the school (along with the French embassy), but make sure you look at a map to see where exactly you will be living. Not all of Glover park is that close to the school, and just to warn you, the "physio house" is actually about a 15 minute walk to campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
tacrum43 said:
The south end of glover park is just across the street from the school (along with the French embassy), but make sure you look at a map to see where exactly you will be living. Not all of Glover park is that close to the school, and just to warn you, the "physio house" is actually about a 15 minute walk to campus.

the "physio house" ? where is that?

pacboy said:
the "physio house" ? where is that?

I don't remember where it was exactly, but I know someone who lived there. Whoever the owner is was spamming the message boards for the SMP last year about the "physio house". It's just a privately owned townhouse that is in the general vicinity of the campus, but still rather far for walking. I think otherwise it was okay.

if anyone has advice on what to do about financial aid i would be very appreciative. thanks and see you all in a couple of weeks

Jermyfinch said:
if anyone has advice on what to do about financial aid i would be very appreciative. thanks and see you all in a couple of weeks

i applied a while ago with FAFSA.

amizle said:
If I put Dr. Myers name what should I put for the title. Just "Program Director" or something generic like that?

right. :thumbup: even if there is a column that says the name of the "dean", you can put his name down.

the truth about the recs is that (you would hear in a class meeting) they are perfectly willing to write all 150+ letters, but they intentionally assign you to a faculty member at Georgetown so that it "looks better on your application". So the faculty name doesn't really make a whole lot of difference at least at this stage.

Jermyfinch said:

you have a few options in terms of aid:
1. subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loans, for which you can get a max of $18,500/year
2. private loans, may different rates, either floating or fixed, plus origination costs, etc. this is what most people use to cover the difference between cost and federal aid.
3. Graduate PLUS loan, a new alternative to private loans. it is great because it has a fixed 8.5% interest rate, though it is not subsidized. this loan is new this year, but i think its going to be a popular choice.
4. there are no grants or merit based scholarships for SMPs, though it may be possible to find this through independent organizations.
5. possibly work-study, but this is generally not recommended for us

check out: http://finaid.georgetown.edu/grmenu.htm

for any federal aid, you can easily apply online, using the gtown website, and their affiliate sallie mae.

I'm still looking for housing. I prefer to have a roommate. Does anybody have any advice where to find housing thread and such? I only know of craigslist

pacboy said:
I'm still looking for housing. I prefer to have a roommate. Does anybody have any advice where to find housing thread and such? I only know of craigslist
Try the Georgetown off-campus housing database and sign up for Ms. Cabiness's housing listserve.

Do we have to use Sallie Mae? Is anyone using My Rich Uncle for their loans?

I don't know if the off campus database is gonna help - I went to the actual office when I was in D.C. and they were most unhelpful. Basically the guy pointed me to a computer and suggested I try craigslist.

chaeymaey said:
Try the Georgetown off-campus housing database and sign up for Ms. Cabiness's housing listserve.

Do we have to use Sallie Mae? Is anyone using My Rich Uncle for their loans?

I asked the same question, the fin.aid counselor said that we have to go through sallie mae for the stafford and grad plus (they take care of federal loans not just private loans). So dont worry about it. I'm approved and ready to have to get my huge loan disbursed :(

And btw, that's a hot user pic you have there.

Members don't see this ad :)
MercuryX said:
I asked the same question, the fin.aid counselor said that we have to go through sallie mae for the stafford and grad plus (they take care of federal loans not just private loans). So dont worry about it. I'm approved and ready to have to get my huge loan disbursed :(

for housing there is a net-id enabled website where people from the community post their housing offers. i found most to be outdated and not that great. but check it out here: http://och.georgetown.edu/

your best bet is craigslist.com or the housing listserve

as for finaid, you dont *have* to use Sallie Mae. personally im using the same broker that did my undergrad loans, so they are all in the same place. however it may take longer to disburse, or so they say. just call MyRichUncle or whoever else, and ask if they work with the Georgetown Graduate School (not med or undergrad). most likely they do, and you will have to make sure that the Master Promissory Note (MPN) gets to gtown's fin aid dept significantly before you want the loan disbursed. ie. ASAP!

Have you guys been working on secondaries? If so, how many have you finished? And are you gonna try and get em all done before moving out to D.C.?

Bill Mcneal said:
Have you guys been working on secondaries? If so, how many have you finished? And are you gonna try and get em all done before moving out to D.C.?

I strongly recommend that you finish the secondaries before starting the program. At least have all the essays written and ready to be sent out.

If you have not done so, work on them NOW!! You will be glad that you have.

MercuryX said:

I know, I absolutely adore him! I even watch the old Man U games on Fox Soccer Channel.

Re: 2ndaries, I haven't started them because I still haven't submitted my primary. Bad girl, I know! I'm waiting to get my FAP app approved for AMCAS, and I'm still working on my TMDSAS essays. I have tons of 2ndary essays from last year, so it won't be too bad to just change a couple sentences and send them off. I've been so bogged down with MCAT studying its been hard to get everything done as early as I did last year.

chaeymaey said:
I know, I absolutely adore him! I even watch the old Man U games on Fox Soccer Channel.

Re: 2ndaries, I haven't started them because I still haven't submitted my primary. Bad girl, I know! I'm waiting to get my FAP app approved for AMCAS, and I'm still working on my TMDSAS essays. I have tons of 2ndary essays from last year, so it won't be too bad to just change a couple sentences and send them off. I've been so bogged down with MCAT studying its been hard to get everything done as early as I did last year.

i still haven't sent in my primaries either. i'm done with it... it's just so hard to press that submit button for some reason. i have 24 schools listed, which sounds like a lot to me... but its so hard to narrow it down further. ahhh!

also, do you guys know if we HAVE to include the AMCAS transcript request letter along with the transcript? I can order my official transcript online from UVA, and they'll send it to amcas, but it wont have the official AMCAS request form.

Don't need the request - I just sent mine online from my school.

KrnFord920 said:
i still haven't sent in my primaries either. i'm done with it... it's just so hard to press that submit button for some reason. i have 24 schools listed, which sounds like a lot to me... but its so hard to narrow it down further. ahhh!

also, do you guys know if we HAVE to include the AMCAS transcript request letter along with the transcript? I can order my official transcript online from UVA, and they'll send it to amcas, but it wont have the official AMCAS request form.

i had this question too...and i was told by amcas that if the form was not included, processing/verification time may take longer. you can probably request the transcript by mail and attach the form with it. they know what it is, they deal w/this all the time. you may lose a day or two with mail, but you'll probably make up that time in verification, which i think is more important.

fightingon said:
i had this question too...and i was told by amcas that if the form was not included, processing/verification time may take longer. you can probably request the transcript by mail and attach the form with it. they know what it is, they deal w/this all the time. you may lose a day or two with mail, but you'll probably make up that time in verification, which i think is more important.

amcas submitted... i'm scurrred. :eek:

i submitted my primary a little while ago but secondaries have been coming at me kinda slow...only gotten 3 out of the 23 schools i applied too

amizle said:
i submitted my primary a little while ago but secondaries have been coming at me kinda slow...only gotten 3 out of the 23 schools i applied too

you can still do the secondary questions for the schools you anticipate will send you them, even if they send it later. on this thread, people are posting the secondary questions that are out already, its very helpful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=293395&page=6&pp=25

MercuryX said:

I asked the fin aid counselor at Georgetown and she said for faster, online processing, use Sallie Mae. You can use any other company for stafford or PLUS loans, but it will be slower and paper-based.

pacboy said:

im still looking for housing too...im a 22 y/o male from california. PM me if you are still looking too and want to maybe room up.

quick question: on amcas did you guys put down your home address as the preferred address (where all the correspondence will come), or did you put down your anticipated addy in DC ?

i dont know if i want my parents getting all my letters...be they good or bad!

need to know soon if anyone is on right now, thanks! :)

I put my home address. I figure I'll just have my mom open all my junk and forward anything I need. I guess that'll eat a few days though... never been a fan of deadlines anyway.

fightingon said:
quick question: on amcas did you guys put down your home address as the preferred address (where all the correspondence will come), or did you put down your anticipated addy in DC ?

i dont know if i want my parents getting all my letters...be they good or bad!

need to know soon if anyone is on right now, thanks! :)

i put down my home address for now cuz i dont know my DC address cuz i dont have one finalized yet. what you can do is when you move to DC, tell AMCAS that your address is changed. I'm pretty sure you can call them or something.

Also, you can go to the post office and tell them that any mail with your name on it that is currently being received at your parents place be forwarded to your new address. you just have to fill out a little card or something at the post office, or you can go online and do it too (although if you do it online, it costs $1 or something) at www.usps.com.

thank you guys. i moved to DC earlier, but im in sublet right now. i think i will just put my future permanent address down, since i do know it already. i just dont want to hear from my parents "why didnt you get into stanford??" (ha, like i even applied there!) :laugh:

Hey, I just signed the lease yesterday. Is anyone else living in River Place?

im talking to a guy at river place right now but i feel like im getting ripped off. does anyone know what a decent price for river place east would be (unfurnished)?

The range I've seen for unfurnished studios there: 950 <= $$ <=1500. 1500 for a studio - pretty disgusting.

I'm paying 1300 for a furnished studio. Best I could find.

Are any of y'all gonna take the August MCAT with me at Gtown?

hey guys,

i was just wondering how likely is it to get off the waitlist this late in the game. i remember reading that two people even got in at the day of orientation last year, but I'm just curious because I really do need to make plans and I don't know how much longer I can stall.

thanks

I spoke with Ms. Cabiness and she said that most of the class is full but shes waiting to hear back from accepted students who haven't sent confirmed/sent in their deposits. I would consider making other plans just incase, but then again you may just get accepted. Good luck.

What is up with all this crazy housing pricing, $1300 for a studio is the best you can find? The very first apartments I checked out on Dupont circle were renting out studios for $1000 a month. Craigslist has tons of people offering rooms for $450-500 a month, granted you may live in Virginia but you are still within 20-30 minutes of the university. I visited 3 of these places when I visited DC and they all were very nice, with one person offering the place to me for $300 a month if I was true to the times (see below) I would be away from home (he is in Dupont Circle too, and yes, I took the deal lol).

Over a two month period I've talked with about 10 different people all offering below $500. If you are desperate, offer to do cleaning, laundry, etc once a week and use smart advertisement. I advertised I would hardly be home (ex: rarely in before 9 pm, which is true, I stay on campus and at the library all day and most of the night) and people really like this fact. I don't know about you guys, but I'm really just looking for a place to sleep at night, think about it, you go to class, then lets say you eat, work out (shower there too), go to library to study, go to class again, roam around DC, library again, etc, how often are you really home? Hell, get a studio for $900-1000 near campus and split it with 3 hard working students in the program who are trustworthy and split it for $300 or so a month. But use it as a place solely to sleep. This isn't meant to be a time for luxury. Like the old saying: live like a doctor now, live like a student later. Live like a student now, live like a doctor later.
Along with advertising, I also put I was a very light packer, don't need television, don't cook much and eat on the go, etc. Then describe yourself in an honest way that makes you come off as courteous and responsible.

I agree though with parking, parking in DC is crazy, which is why I'm having my sister drop me off and the metro is my best friend :)

chaeymaey said:
Are any of y'all gonna take the August MCAT with me at Gtown?

I retook it in April - thank God I did - I can't imagine doing secondaries, mcat stuff, and having my parents go mental all at the same time. One thing about the test though: it was WAY different than the first time I took it. Some are speculating theyre putting more emphasis on experimental stuff so as to minimize the effect of prep classes. Either way, it makes for an even more miserable testing experience but a very forgiving curve.

Good luck!

yuk, i hate experimental passages! thanks for the heads-up.

CAM student here anyone still searching for housing? I have been looking on the good ole CL for the past week but having a little trouble. Maybe a couple of us can get together and grab a house or something... let me know what you think.

spo01 said:
What is up with all this crazy housing pricing, $1300 for a studio is the best you can find? The very first apartments I checked out on Dupont circle were renting out studios for $1000 a month. Craigslist has tons of people offering rooms for $450-500 a month, granted you may live in Virginia but you are still within 20-30 minutes of the university. I visited 3 of these places when I visited DC and they all were very nice, with one person offering the place to me for $300 a month if I was true to the times (see below) I would be away from home (he is in Dupont Circle too, and yes, I took the deal lol).

Over a two month period I've talked with about 10 different people all offering below $500. If you are desperate, offer to do cleaning, laundry, etc once a week and use smart advertisement. I advertised I would hardly be home (ex: rarely in before 9 pm, which is true, I stay on campus and at the library all day and most of the night) and people really like this fact. I don't know about you guys, but I'm really just looking for a place to sleep at night, think about it, you go to class, then lets say you eat, work out (shower there too), go to library to study, go to class again, roam around DC, library again, etc, how often are you really home? Hell, get a studio for $900-1000 near campus and split it with 3 hard working students in the program who are trustworthy and split it for $300 or so a month. But use it as a place solely to sleep. This isn't meant to be a time for luxury. Like the old saying: live like a doctor now, live like a student later. Live like a student now, live like a doctor later.
Along with advertising, I also put I was a very light packer, don't need television, don't cook much and eat on the go, etc. Then describe yourself in an honest way that makes you come off as courteous and responsible.

I agree though with parking, parking in DC is crazy, which is why I'm having my sister drop me off and the metro is my best friend :)

The housing at DC is crazy and this is from me living in NY. I liked the fact that I called a place and the rent for a studio is $1565 and it's slightly higher if you want a place with a view. Suffice to say, I am not living there.

I finally got a decent basement for a very decent price but the downside is it's in Arlington, VA.

Quick question about NYMC secondary: The online secondary shows that i have to submit a graduate letter of evaluation and two optional letters. Should I write Dr. Myers name in or should I wait? Also does this mean I wont be reviewed until the end of the fall semester?

MercuryX said:
Quick question about NYMC secondary: The online secondary shows that i have to submit a graduate letter of evaluation and two optional letters. Should I write Dr. Myers name in or should I wait? Also does this mean I wont be reviewed until the end of the fall semester?

ive heard everything from wait till orientation to putting dr myers down to turn it in early. i am just putting dr myers down to get it out of the way

RayhanS1282 said:
The housing at DC is crazy and this is from me living in NY. I liked the fact that I called a place and the rent for a studio is $1565 and it's slightly higher if you want a place with a view. Suffice to say, I am not living there.

I finally got a decent basement for a very decent price but the downside is it's in Arlington, VA.

haha a basement is all you need though. how much you get that for? Living in VA is what most do, get this: I called G'town and asked how much parking was as I figured I could park my car on campus and I'd have it made.... no, it was something like $1100 for the year, and even then you still park in VA and the shuttle picks you up at Key Bridge!

spo01 said:
haha a basement is all you need though. how much you get that for? Living in VA is what most do, get this: I called G'town and asked how much parking was as I figured I could park my car on campus and I'd have it made.... no, it was something like $1100 for the year, and even then you still park in VA and the shuttle picks you up at Key Bridge!

It was $500 including utilities and everything and they also gave me *gasp* laudry facilities. The downside is no kitchen. I get a fridge and a microwave so I'll be catching mice, freezing them and nuking them for dinner.

I'm just curious how long it takes on average to get to Gerogetown from VA using public transportation.

RayhanS1282 said:
It was $500 including utilities and everything and they also gave me *gasp* laudry facilities. The downside is no kitchen. I get a fridge and a microwave so I'll be catching mice, freezing them and nuking them for dinner.

I'm just curious how long it takes on average to get to Gerogetown from VA using public transportation.

Nice deal, did you mapquest how far you were from the university? Thing is, the metro doesn't go directly to G'town. So, if you live far away, you would have to take the metro to the shuttle which would take you to G'town. Are you close to the metro?
To take it even a step further, depending on whether or not the owners will let you, you can even split the basement with someone from your program. $250 a piece is an even sweeter deal! Is there a private entrance to the basement? That would be the icing on the cake!

RayhanS1282 said:

Really depends on where in NOVA you are. Do you have any idea as of yet?

RayhanS1282 said:

Being a northern virginian:
1) I hate the metro.
2) I hate DC/DC Suburb traffic even more, in which case I would take metro.
3) It's pretty sweet that the GUTS shuttle takes you from the key bridge right to Georgetown. The only thing I would question is (and I havent been over there in rush hour yet, so i dont know the answer to this...) how long does it ACTUALLY take with the GUTS shuttle during rush hour? the light at the key bridge is ridiculous, and so is the traffic, especially since people will be driving INTO dc for work. i've heard the actual bus ride takes 30-40 minutes from Rosslyn to Georgetown. it would probably be quicker just walking.

Welcome to Northern VA Traffic. Enjoy your stay.

As for parking in DC, if you live in Zone 2, you're **** outta luck for parking passes, unless you register your car in DC (which i heard is hella expensive). if you live in zone 3, what you can do is get a reciprocity pass... $300 for the year, and you dont have to register your car in DC. you just have to prove to DC DMV that you are a temporary resident by showing them a lease/bill with your name on it at the address you're staying at, and proof that you're a student.

KrnFord920 said:
Being a northern virginian:
1) I hate the metro.
2) I hate DC/DC Suburb traffic even more, in which case I would take metro.
3) It's pretty sweet that the GUTS shuttle takes you from the key bridge right to Georgetown. The only thing I would question is (and I havent been over there in rush hour yet, so i dont know the answer to this...) how long does it ACTUALLY take with the GUTS shuttle during rush hour? the light at the key bridge is ridiculous, and so is the traffic, especially since people will be driving INTO dc for work. i've heard the actual bus ride takes 30-40 minutes from Rosslyn to Georgetown. it would probably be quicker just walking.

Welcome to Northern VA Traffic. Enjoy your stay.

As for parking in DC, if you live in Zone 2, you're **** outta luck for parking passes, unless you register your car in DC (which i heard is hella expensive). if you live in zone 3, what you can do is get a reciprocity pass... $300 for the year, and you dont have to register your car in DC. you just have to prove to DC DMV that you are a temporary resident by showing them a lease/bill with your name on it at the address you're staying at, and proof that you're a student.

30-40 mins is a little much. I think the most time I ever had to spend on the bus was about 20 mins during rush hour. That means that you might be able to walk faster (if you *really* want to walk up the hill right before class). However, in the summmer or during the winter/snow, you may decide that waiting out the 20 mins in the air conditioned/heated bus is worthwhile.

Your choice.

For general info: I know of five people last year who lived somewhere in NOVA and transported in. One had worked at GU before she entered the program and knew a lot of people at the school, had a parking spot, etc. The other four took the metro and then the GUTS shuttle. All seemed satisfied with their choice, but were almost never at any sort of functions that the SMP held.

So, if you are someone who simply wants to go to class and study, you should be fine. If you are a bit more social and want that interaction with classmates, your situation may be a bit more problematic.