Official: Georgetown SMP Class of 07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ssquared said:
Hi-sorry to crash your thread, but I have a question that I would love to have answered-

I really REALLY want to go to the SMP program next year (it would be a total dream come true for me for a lot of reasons). When did people start applying? I sent an email to the program and I got back the reply with "next year" which really wasn't much help. And when did people start hearing back about acceptances?

Thanks! I'm one of those people who like to plan these things months and months in advance and not knowing when I should be applying makes me nervous...

i applied mid-april and was accepted early may.

i believe applications are accepted beginning January 1 for the entering fall class. so get your apps in early. for those people who applied early, i believe they heard back around march (?)... correct me if i'm wrong.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

ssquared said:
Hi-sorry to crash your thread, but I have a question that I would love to have answered-

I really REALLY want to go to the SMP program next year (it would be a total dream come true for me for a lot of reasons). When did people start applying? I sent an email to the program and I got back the reply with "next year" which really wasn't much help. And when did people start hearing back about acceptances?

Thanks! I'm one of those people who like to plan these things months and months in advance and not knowing when I should be applying makes me nervous...

KrnFord is correct. They usually start accepting apps for the upcoming fall in January of that year (so January 2007 for the 2007-2008 school year). Applying early is highly recommended to maximize your chances of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there on Wednesday morning. Anybody want to meet up to explore the city a bit?

ssquared said:

ssqaured:

I feel your pain :)

You can begin applying Jan 1 (give or take a day) and you *could* hear back as early as a few weeks after that, to as late as a few days after orientation starts. It really depends on your application.

Good luck!

ssquared said:

Apply early, application are available way before Jan 1st. If you have good MCAT scores before you apply, then apply even earlier.

Whether you hear early or late really depends on your entire application and competitiveness of other applicants. Applying early is part of it but your GPA, MCAT, EC, essay matters more.

If you are going to take the upcoming August MCAT and do well, that will be ideal. Otherwise if you take the MCAT in April, the application process will be on hold until your April MCAT scores are released.

If you are not ready for this coming August MCAT "DO NOT TAKE IT". Prepare more for April and it will increase your chances for SMP and med school admission.

Good luck.

pacboy said:
I'll be there on Wednesday morning. Anybody want to meet up to explore the city a bit?
go bears! i will be in town.

daeojkim said:
Apply early, application are available way before Jan 1st. If you have good MCAT scores before you apply, then apply even earlier.

Whether you hear early or late really depends on your entire application and competitiveness of other applicants. Applying early is part of it but your GPA, MCAT, EC, essay matters more.

If you are going to take the upcoming August MCAT and do well, that will be ideal. Otherwise if you take the MCAT in April, the application process will be on hold until your April MCAT scores are released.

If you are not ready for this coming August MCAT "DO NOT TAKE IT". Prepare more for April and it will increase your chances for SMP and med school admission.

Good luck.
You don't have to wait until April. The next MCAT is in January.

chaeymaey said:
You don't have to wait until April. The next MCAT is in January.

January? It must be new for next year. Thanks for the correction chaeymaey!

The bottom line is not to take the MCAT until you feel ready for it. (Although a relative statement)

hey guys,

where are all the classes gonna be located? i'm thinking of forking over 150$ a month for a parking spot on 38th and R? Just wondering if that's bearable walking distance to campus.

P.S:

Any of you guys happen to be interested in fantasy football? let's get a league started up!!!! :thumbup:

No problem. I'm gonna second that and say that one of my friends took the MCAT this April. The highest she had made on a practice test was a 21, but she went ahead and took the test and scored 18. Poor girl has spent this summer studying but she's been so psyched out that she hasn't improved as much as she needs to. Now she has that 18 on record for at least 3 years and is going to have to address that at each school. The point is to look at your practice tests. If you're scoring in the high 20s, go ahead and take it. But if you're in the mid 20s, wait until the next administration, which in your case are only one month apart!

The med/dent building, where I think most of the classes are, is on Reservoir Rd. I don't remember what the other street was, but if you look up the address for the French Embassy, its right across the street.

River Rat said:
hey guys,

where are all the classes gonna be located? i'm thinking of forking over 150$ a month for a parking spot on 38th and R? Just wondering if that's bearable walking distance to campus.

P.S:

Any of you guys happen to be interested in fantasy football? let's get a league started up!!!! :thumbup:

I used to park in 37th and S. I would say about 4-5 blocks walking distance. 8-10 minutes? Not bad at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
River Rat said:
hey guys,

P.S:

Hey Rat, I'm good for a fantasy league - you gonna commish?

Let me know and I'll sign up.

daeojkim said:
Hi zim,

Hopefully this can be of some help.

There are few places that you can look for.

The closest area to campus is Burleith. You can just walk to campus (5 to 10 minutes). Usually 4-6 students share a townhouse or there are basement studios.

Then there are Glover Park and Fox Hall. There is no GUTS shuttle but you can walk to campus within 15 to 20 minutes. There are many apartments in Glover Park.

If you want to take GUTS then there are Rossyln in VA, and Dupont Circle in DC. Rosslyn is just across the Key bridge and it is also walkable distance (about 25 to 30 minutes). River Place is a popular place to live and you should be able to find people looking for roommates. I don't know too much about Dupont Circle. But in general I would recommend Rosslyn over Dupont Circle.

As far as finding a place would check Craigslist like you have done so far, but with above criteria. There were also few ads in YAHOO physio group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/physios/ (General Physio group)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smp07/ (Physio Class of 2007 group)

Also try Off-campus housing
http://och.georgetown.edu/

For more advices and sugegstions, go to Yahoo Physio group, then to file section and download SMP survival guide. There are advices for housing and other recommendations that will be useful through the year.

Congratulations on your acceptance and see you in a week!

Thanks, I'm checking out the links and neighhorhoods. Wish me luck. See you next week!

I'll play FF. If you start a league post teh credentials here or something. I'd prefer a live (though not necessarily face-to-face) draft.

ill try and commish one on yahoo, but i've only really played FF once last year, never really organized it. you guys fine with a head-to-head: all positions system?

hey i want in on FF!
it's only my second year with fantasy football, but i'm totally hoooked.
let me know where to sign up!

i just made one.

yahoo fantasy football.

league name: Georgetown SMP
password: physios
ID# 364925

normal scoring system for a head-to-head: all positions league

i made the draft Saturday, Sept. 2nd at 7 P.M.

River Rat said:
i just made one.

yahoo fantasy football.

league name: Georgetown SMP
password: physios
ID# 364925

normal scoring system for a head-to-head: all positions league

i made the draft Saturday, Sept. 2nd at 7 P.M.

RR --

Is your league already full? :eek:

I tried to join this morning and it said that the password was wrong and the league was full... either I'm doing something wrong, or I need further instructions (or both :p)

imrep1972 said:
RR --

Is your league already full? :eek:

I tried to join this morning and it said that the password was wrong and the league was full... either I'm doing something wrong, or I need further instructions (or both :p)

thats so weird, there's only 3 people in it right now....
whats your yahoo email or username, maybe i can invite you?

Anybody know which hospital is the closest to Northeast DC? I want to get some volunteer work in during the weekends since it's one of my application weakness.

Northeast is the biggest quadrant of DC, so it really depends on where you live in NE. I'd suggest taking a look at Google Maps to get a good idea.

I do know that there are several hospitals right around the Howard/CUA area (including Howard, Washington Hospital Center, and Children's).

GWmdwannabe said:
Northeast is the biggest quadrant of DC, so it really depends on where you live in NE. I'd suggest taking a look at Google Maps to get a good idea.

I do know that there are several hospitals right around the Howard/CUA area (including Howard, Washington Hospital Center, and Children's).

Well, the NW quadrant is actually the biggest. And I wouldn't wander around the NE at night by yourself. Or the NW for that matter, a couple people got mugged last year right on Reservoir road.

tacrum43 said:
Well, the NW quadrant is actually the biggest. And I wouldn't wander around the NE at night by yourself. Or the NW for that matter, a couple people got mugged last year right on Reservoir road.

Good call. Mea culpa.

GWmdwannabe said:
Good call. Mea culpa.

Mea culpa is correct. After Virginia took back their land in the 1800s NW became the biggest part of DC. North Capitol Street, East Capitol Street, South Capitol Street, and West Capitol Street (which doesn't exist for the reason I stated above) were suppose to all meet at the capitol building in a straight line. The idea was a perfect square with a damn near perfect grid. It didn't happen.

I lived in the DC metro area almost my entire life. So of course, I would wonder around parts of S.E. and N.E. because I have friends and family that live in those areas. However, if there is no reason for you to be in certain neighborhoods in N.E. or S.E. then I wouldn't go sight-seeing. The rule of thumb is that the closer you get to rock creek park the better the neighborhoods become. Ideally, everyone with money lives on the left side of rock creek park where crime is not that big of an issue. Hope this helps.

jays2cool4u said:
Mea culpa is correct. After Virginia took back their land in the 1800s NW became the biggest part of DC. North Capitol Street, East Capitol Street, South Capitol Street, and West Capitol Street (which doesn't exist for the reason I stated above) were suppose to all meet at the capitol building in a straight line. The idea was a perfect square with a damn near perfect grid. It didn't happen.

I lived in the DC metro area almost my entire life. So of course, I would wonder around parts of S.E. and N.E. because I have friends and family that live in those areas. However, if there is no reason for you to be in certain neighborhoods in N.E. or S.E. then I wouldn't go sight-seeing. The rule of thumb is that the closer you get to rock creek park the better the neighborhoods become. Ideally, everyone with money lives on the left side of rock creek park where crime is not that big of an issue. Hope this helps.

:confused: So how safe is DC overall as a city? I'm used to the college walking around environment. I used to walk home at 1 or 2 in the morning all the time. Is this not a good idea for DC? My new place is like a mile from the Eastern Market on K Street.

pacboy said:
:confused: So how safe is DC overall as a city? I'm used to the college walking around environment. I used to walk home at 1 or 2 in the morning all the time. Is this not a good idea for DC? My new place is like a mile from the Eastern Market on K Street.

Yeah... uh...

You may want to reconsider that whole "walking home at 1 or 2 in the morning thing..."

yeah...

several students were mugged last year walking home from campus at that time. Having said that, there is a driving service that is available pretty late at night. So rather than walking, you can take that.

pacboy said:

Don't walk alone late at night and certainly not at 1 - 2 am.

pacboy said:

If you need to be out, at least be out with friends and walk on the street-side of the sidewalk. Eastern Market is getting nicer but its not the safest place at nice. Don't worry its not like youll get mugged every night. My friends and I have been out pretty late in worse areas near anacostia (clubs, bars) and i've been ok. It's important not to give an appearance of being scared. Street smarts s'il vous plait.

I just wanted to remind everyone that there have been murders, hold-ups, robberies at Georgetown in the past month or two. In fact my co-workers here at GU say that they hear it all the time and aren't surprised: Georgetown isn't as safe as you may think.

MercuryX said:
I just wanted to remind everyone that there have been murders, hold-ups, robberies at Georgetown in the past month or two. In fact my co-workers here at GU say that they hear it all the time and aren't surprised: Georgetown isn't as safe as you may think.

im sure people have heard about the "crime emergency status" in DC that was just put into effect. this is mainly because someone was killed in gtown (Q/31st) a few weeks ago in a very brutal manner (throat slit). there have been police roaming this area like crazy lately, because it caused such a stir. maybe using the buddy system would be good for walking home late?

not to scare you though...for the most part our area is pretty safe, in comparison w/the rest of DC. just know that DC used to be the crime capital of the US, though it is not anymore, and most of those crimes were in the SW/SE

Not to mention the fact that the entire city just recently declared a crime emergency because of the large number of robberies and murders - including crimes in places that used to be considered very safe.

Anyone know where orientation is? Do we just show up at the med school building and hope for a sign?

Hey River Place Peeps. I just moved in today and wanted to see if anyone wanted to hang out.

I'm working at Georgetown untill 5, im up for anything. I live in dupont though.

whats going on everyone...i just moved into river place north if anyone else is in town and wants to hang out. just pm me. other see you guys thursday

JUST moved into RP East - anybody doing anything tomorrow? Also, I jammed a disc in my cd drive somehow - that was my only entertainment outlet without cable - anyone know anything about cd drives and getting them unstuck?

Hi everyone, I was just accepted today into Georgetown's SMP. I know classes start on Monday.

But because its such short notice, I'm trying to decide whether to attend the program or give someone else a chance. I would love to live in DC and the program sounds extraordinary, but as an individual with a 33 and a 3.6 GPA I don't think the program was suited for me. I'm applying to med schools for the first time this cycle an I don't know if the program will offer me the ability to take a lot of time off interviewing. Further, its sooo expensive.

I've realized that the program is only beneficial to me if I get accepted to Georgetown med and if I get credit for the classes I take during the SMP. Too many ifs and not enough time to decide.

Plus its been kinda overwhelming trying to think logically about going or not, after I had given up hope of being accpeted.

I hate making decisions and I have to decide soon whether to go or not.

630670 said:
Hi everyone, I was just accepted today into Georgetown's SMP. I know classes start on Monday.

But because its such short notice, I'm trying to decide whether to attend the program or give someone else a chance. I would love to live in DC and the program sounds extraordinary, but as an individual with a 33 and a 3.6 GPA I don't think the program was suited for me. I'm applying to med schools for the first time this cycle an I don't know if the program will offer me the ability to take a lot of time off interviewing. Further, its sooo expensive.

I've realized that the program is only beneficial to me if I get accepted to Georgetown med and if I get credit for the classes I take during the SMP. Too many ifs and not enough time to decide.

Plus its been kinda overwhelming trying to think logically about going or not, after I had given up hope of being accpeted.

just going by your numbers, i feel like you may not need the program. was the smp just something you were wanting to do during your year off? cuz i can say that with your stats, you would probably be better off with some kind of medically related job and making some money before med school than shelling out $30k when it's not really necessary. i'd say if you havent had luck by next march or april with any acceptances, then you should apply to the smp again and attend it.

g'luck with whatever you choose!

630670 said:

i PMed you because not everything i would like public. i hope it helps you decide in some way and not hurts...

I withdrew my acceptance this afternoon. It was a pretty difficult decision to make...but I just feel that it is in my best interest to pursue other scholastic endeavors.

I hope you guys have a great time, and I sincerely wish good luck to whoever gets off the waitlist, for what is quite possible the last spot available for the SMP.

so i just move in to the area today. I got a month to month lease on a place near Union Station metro. ( 4 blocks away on K street NE) for a fair price. Only thing is, it seems that everybody has been telling me that NE area are dangerous. Does this include the area that I'm living right now?

pacboy said:
so i just move in to the area today. I got a month to month lease on a place near Union Station metro. ( 4 blocks away on K street NE) for a fair price. Only thing is, it seems that everybody has been telling me that NE area are dangerous. Does this include the area that I'm living right now?

well buddy i think you get to be the judge of that now! i would try to find something closer just because of the distance and time wasted in commuting, even if it is not particularly sketch out there. :)

bump

I'll revive this thread even though we all probably met during orientation. Anybody suprises as me about all the californian this year? I'm Quang by the way.

Just got in to the SMP class of '08! :D Wait.. is this forum still alive!? :confused:

Any gtowner's going to GW in the fall!?!? Class of 2011!

I got into gtown and EVMS's 1 year masters. I chose EVMS's program, becuase they had a higher percentage rate of people getting into medical school (that being their own, but for me med school was med school) I ended up getting into GW real early, so I quit EVMS and now I live in DC, doing nothing at NIH. Just wondering if i'll see any of you guys next year! :D . In retrospect I wish I did the gtown program so i could have just stayed in DC, and I hated norfolk (**** hole of the world)

Dooooom,

I know of one current SMP who was just accepted to GW, but she doesn't come on here, that I know of.

Two of my friends from last year are at GW now (one of 'em, Tacrum, is on here fairly often.)

You'll probably have between 5 and 10 GT ex-SMP's in your class. They take a few of us, but they usually take them a year after they graduate - they like to see the whole year's grades.

Any gtowner's going to GW in the fall!?!? Class of 2011!

I got into gtown and EVMS's 1 year masters. I chose EVMS's program, becuase they had a higher percentage rate of people getting into medical school (that being their own, but for me med school was med school) I ended up getting into GW real early, so I quit EVMS and now I live in DC, doing nothing at NIH. Just wondering if i'll see any of you guys next year! :D . In retrospect I wish I did the gtown program so i could have just stayed in DC, and I hated norfolk (**** hole of the world)

Thanks Rep. Sorry if I came off as "bashing" Gtown. I was just saying what I heard from other people, I don't know if any of that is true (which i said). Thanks none the less and sorry for coming off as a jerk.