Official: Georgetown SMP Class of 07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
chaeymaey said:
Yeehaw, another Texan! Where in TX are you from?

Sugarland, a suburb of Houston. Im glad to hear someone else from texas will be in DC.

Members don't see this ad.

markboonya said:
anyone coming from the bay area/sfsu/UC Berkeley? are any of u guys bringing a car?

Hey, I'm coming from SF, and I'm contemplating bringing a car. Not for commuting to GTown since I'm hoping to live close to campus, but I love to drive and want to have it around.

Although I'm definitely not looking forward to driving it cross-country -- it's small and has a few too many miles on it... still going strong though!

Grats on your acceptance! After hearing from some people in DC and at GT, I decided to not bring my car. Traffic, parking, and all that junk make it too troublesome, and mass transit is supposed to be great. No more BART! :)

markboonya said:
alright!!!!! just got my email acceptance too. what a stressful wait it was.

Members don't see this ad :)
markboonya said:
anyone coming from the bay area/sfsu/UC Berkeley? are any of u guys bringing a car?

im definitely going to miss my car but i dont think im going to bring it because the parking situation is not good. being from cal though, im very attached to my set of wheels...taking public transportation is gonna take some getting used to, but it shouldnt be too bad!

CMar830 said:
Hey, I'm coming from SF, and I'm contemplating bringing a car. Not for commuting to GTown since I'm hoping to live close to campus, but I love to drive and want to have it around.

Although I'm definitely not looking forward to driving it cross-country -- it's small and has a few too many miles on it... still going strong though!

lol, if we leave the same time maybe we can caravan and keep each other awake. ehh i still need to find a place and i definitely dont want to be commuting by car to gtown each morning.

Tommyk7 said:
Grats on your acceptance! After hearing from some people in DC and at GT, I decided to not bring my car. Traffic, parking, and all that junk make it too troublesome, and mass transit is supposed to be great. No more BART! :)

hey are u tom from weiner's neuroanatomy?

nope, but I took genetics with niehrman (is that how you spell it?).

Are you guys mentioning that you're doing the SMP in your personal statement? Or are you waiting to talk about it in secondaries? I really hate to waste the space in the PS if there's any other way of showing them I'm in the program. And they can see that I'm doing it just by seeing all my future coursework, right?

So... are you guys mentioning it in your PS?

I did, very briefly.

Are you guys mentioning that you're doing the SMP in your personal statement? Or are you waiting to talk about it in secondaries? I really hate to waste the space in the PS if there's any other way of showing them I'm in the program. And they can see that I'm doing it just by seeing all my future coursework, right?

So... are you guys mentioning it in your PS?

I think you should at least have a sentence with the school's name, just so that they know what program you're in.

markboonya said:

I'm coming from UC Berkeley. I'm debating on bringing a car or just get a cheap car there to get me through the year. But i hear the parking situation is pretty bad.

I don't think anyone really needs a car, most of the time will be spent in the library, and the rest of the time will be spent in the library at george washington, and then if we have more time, probably studying at the coffee shop.

Ezlife786 said:
I just got my acceptance e-mail to the SMP class of 07. Woohoo! After being heartbroken being on Texas waitlists, its nice hearing some place accepted me. I hope to see all you guys in the Fall.

PS: how long till I get the package in the mail?

Hey. You actually don't get any snail mail paperwork. Most, if not all administrative forms will come in in through the e-mail account that you received your acceptance letter.

btw, for the poster that mentioned how GUSOM increased its enrollment by 30 spaces, that is certainly good news that they are printing out 30 extra MD diplomas. But you can also look it another way that the student/ faculty ratio is going down pretty bad. For example, in embryology, not only are there these 180 MD students, there are 150 SMP students, a few PhD students, and another 20-30 GEM students. That makes it over 400 students in class like embryology, really defeating the purpose of small class. Plus, LA-6 is somewhat an old and cramped facility to house all that students unless a few students stop coming to class (yes, there are such students even in med school!)

Johns Hopkins makes a big deal that their undergraduate classes sometime can be ratio of 360 to 1, but the medical school aggressively advertises that their medical school is so small that all the professors will know the students by name and the students willl know each other.

Just taking into perspective that matching names with faces is still an important thing if one is desperate about taking up a specific residency (I don't think one should be because you guys are in med school after all, something thousands of people worldwide will kill themselves for, but I guess greed doesn't end with the white coat ceremony).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I just sent in my acceptance to the SMP today, just wanted to say hello! I'm from Oakland, so its nice to see so many others from the Bay... I haven't had time to sift through all of these posts, but it seems like theres a lot of CA people going!

I'm not bringing my car either. It's a honda with nearly 200K miles on it, so I'm a little worried about hauling it across country even though its running fine. Plus, parking is so bad out there and the metro is supposedly great.

Oh, and I actually did get a snail mail form, about 10 days after getting my email notice... <shrug>

slimshadiest said:
I don't think anyone really needs a car, most of the time will be spent in the library, and the rest of the time will be spent in the library at george washington, and then if we have more time, probably studying at the coffee shop.

i'm from new jersey, living in the river place apartment complex, and i'm bringing my car. along with my own parking space at the apartment, the car will be convenient for driving home, driving to cheaper grocery stores outside of geoergetown, etc.

zahque said:
i'm from new jersey, living in the river place apartment complex, and i'm bringing my car. along with my own parking space at the apartment, the car will be convenient for driving home, driving to cheaper grocery stores outside of geoergetown, etc.
hey is there a website for your apartment complex?

DrDork said:
Hey everyone,

I just sent in my acceptance to the SMP today, just wanted to say hello! I'm from Oakland, so its nice to see so many others from the Bay... I haven't had time to sift through all of these posts, but it seems like theres a lot of CA people going!

I'm not bringing my car either. It's a honda with nearly 200K miles on it, so I'm a little worried about hauling it across country even though its running fine. Plus, parking is so bad out there and the metro is supposedly great.

Oh, and I actually did get a snail mail form, about 10 days after getting my email notice... <shrug>
hey congrats man! good to know there will be plenty of bay area ppl. how soon is the deposit due after we get the snail mail packet?

markboonya said:
hey congrats man! good to know there will be plenty of bay area ppl. how soon is the deposit due after we get the snail mail packet?

Thanks! They gave me a little less than two weeks to get the form and deposit back to them, so not a lot of wiggle room if you're still on the fence. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I'm not on any fences anymore.

First timer...so pardon my lack of knowledge.

What's so great about SMP? Is it like an automatic admission to the Med. Sch.?

slimshadiest said:

You dont need a car (and if you are living in DC its more hassel then its worth) but it is nice to have one. I had a car this year and besides the weekly trips to the grocery store, I was able to take day trips to get away (most of the time to Williamsburg) and drive to half my interviews.

Hey all!
Congrats to everyone who is going to georgetown next year!! I'm so excited to meet you all. I was just wondering where everyone is living? They don't offer on campus housing? Is everyong just looking on craigslist for apartments around the school? I have no idea where to live, and I'd love some advice. Thanks!!

mlemed said:
Hey all!
Congrats to everyone who is going to georgetown next year!! I'm so excited to meet you all. I was just wondering where everyone is living? They don't offer on campus housing? Is everyong just looking on craigslist for apartments around the school? I have no idea where to live, and I'd love some advice. Thanks!!

Georgetown has an off-campus housing office. I found them to be quite helpful. You might try contacting them.

Well, it's official -- I'll be at Georgetown this fall! Just signed a lease on a row house in Glover Park, too!

Even though it isn't med school (yet! ;) ), I'm definitely excited to get back to classwork. Excited to meet all you guys, too.

Hello all! I will be heading to DC sat night to scope out places sunday morning and afternoon. I'm going to try to set up as many appointments as i can. I would really like to get a group house with other SMP'ers, but I also have a friend of my sister who owns a home in capital hill who said I can room with her for pretty cheap. Id much rather be closer to campus, so if any one is interested email me [email protected] or hit me up on aim (mixmastr138). Id be willing to visit 3 or 4 bedroom houses, take pictures and try to get together enough people to fill it. If not I need to tell my sister's friend by July 1st that im going to live there. Thanks everyone!!

Lawrence

Hey guys,
i know this should be posted on fin aid forum, but since so many of SMPers are here, I thought I'd ask it here.

Did you guys apply for a loan already? I submitted all the fin aid forms (FAFSA and Georgetown supplement form). Can I apply for the loans now? I think I remember someone saying that there will be a rep from fin aid department at the orientation in August, but do we have to wait until then to apply for a loan?

TIA, and looking forward to meeting you all soon! :)

ychoi81 said:
Hey guys,
i know this should be posted on fin aid forum, but since so many of SMPers are here, I thought I'd ask it here.

Did you guys apply for a loan already? I submitted all the fin aid forms (FAFSA and Georgetown supplement form). Can I apply for the loans now? I think I remember someone saying that there will be a rep from fin aid department at the orientation in August, but do we have to wait until then to apply for a loan?

TIA, and looking forward to meeting you all soon! :)

You should receive a award letter from the financial aids office describing what you can apply for.

Don't wait until orientation day to apply for loans. Each month that you are late with the tuition payment they will charge you $300 for late fees.

Call financial aids office to find out exactly what you need to do.

Did you just get the Gtown supplemental form from the website? I never got any notice about it after I filed my FAFSA.

chaeymaey said:
Did you just get the Gtown supplemental form from the website? I never got any notice about it after I filed my FAFSA.

Yes, the supplimental form is on the website, but I'm not exactly sure of the address, I don't have the paper at the moment. In any case, you can just call the fin aid office if you have questions, they're pretty helpful.

Anyone know how potentially late I could find out if I got in or not? I was complete late in May, so I know I will be finding out late regardless, but I wanted to know if that means June or could it go all the way until July??

chaeymaey said:

I actually got a letter from fin aid dept telling me to fill out the georgetown supplemental forms.

btw, this is the email I got from fin aid dept regarding when to file for a loan:

"You should apply for your federal loans and private loans when you have
received your financial aid award letter and student account bill. The
bills will be mailed out by the Student Accounts Office at the end of
this month."

shepdogg2 said:
Anyone know how potentially late I could find out if I got in or not? I was complete late in May, so I know I will be finding out late regardless, but I wanted to know if that means June or could it go all the way until July??

According to the Yahoo board, last year someone got in right after the orientation in mid-August.

zahque said:
anyone else moving down to georgetown in the next two weeks, or are a lot of you guys waiting until august?

i just moved out here...and omg is finding housing a b****!!! but the place is awesome and im loving DC =]

for all you current/former-SMPers: what is the course schedule like? i am probably going to work part time so i am wondering...are classes pretty much 9-5? or do you get done with the day earlier on? did any of you work while doing the SMP? i know you shouldn't...but any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Just got a email from SMP with a bunch of welcome letters. One notable thing that Dr. Meyer mentioned in the letter: An ~70% of Class 2005 have matriculated to medical school. This figure is lower than the 80% that's cited on the website, and may reflect the rising competitiveness of gaining admission in general.

btw, in the letter they urged anyone who is holding on acceptances but are not intending to come to officially withdraw. This may trigger some withdrawals in the coming weeks. Maybe good news for those on the waiting list.

silkworm said:
Just got a email from SMP with a bunch of welcome letters. One notable thing that Dr. Meyer mentioned in the letter: An ~70% of Class 2005 have matriculated to medical school. This figure is lower than the 80% that's cited on the website, and may reflect the rising competitiveness of gaining admission in general.

btw, in the letter they urged anyone who is holding on acceptances but are not intending to come to officially withdraw. This may trigger some withdrawals in the coming weeks. Maybe good news for those on the waiting list.

Silkworm,

About that stat - it is possible that there is rising competitiveness causing a lower percentage of acceptances. It is important to remember, however, that the application cycle is not yet over for the year, so it is possible that some of the ~30% who are not yet matriculated may still be accepted this summer.

Also, when Dr. Myers quotes that number, he is computing that against the total students in the class, not just the ones that actually want to go to med school (he will explain this during your orientation, as well.) What you will find is that there will be a number of students who, after spending the year in the program, will decide they do not want to be a doctor after all. That 30% includes that number.

So, it is also possible that a higher number of students decided to not apply to medical school.

Just FYI.

zahque said:
anyone else moving down to georgetown in the next two weeks, or are a lot of you guys waiting until august?

i've been really lazy about looking for housing... i suck. have you found a place?

Do physios participate in Spring commencement at Georgetown? Is there a graduation ceremony with the cap and gown where you get your MS diploma?

who cares about commencement, just do well in the program, there are too many people who's goal is that "special" white gown/coat than to perform colonoscopies and have poo splattered all over your face.

I highly advice against working while you are in SMP. If your main goal is to go to medical school, I would rather get extra loans and focus on studying.

I did volunteer work in a free clinic twice a month for few hours each time though.

fightingon said:
i just moved out here...and omg is finding housing a b****!!! but the place is awesome and im loving DC =]

for all you current/former-SMPers: what is the course schedule like? i am probably going to work part time so i am wondering...are classes pretty much 9-5? or do you get done with the day earlier on? did any of you work while doing the SMP? i know you shouldn't...but any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

chaeymaey said:
Do physios participate in Spring commencement at Georgetown? Is there a graduation ceremony with the cap and gown where you get your MS diploma?

You have wait until the following year after you finish your requirements since you are not done with the program until July. Some do come back for the ceremony but I hear that most do not.

not to sound like a cynic/ critic, but that 70% figure is a bit shocking if that meant after 2 years (50% while in SMP and 80% after 1st year) because you have to take into cnosideratino that class of 2005 had a record 32 acceptances to GUSOM itself (usually they only take about 10-15, no more than 20 a year). So even with all that many physios getting in to GUSOM and they only manage a 70% rate, that means the other students didn't quite get the nods from other schools...

about the graduation, you don't really graduate until August 31 so there isn't really a commencement. The best you guys get is a prom. Also, keep in mind that there is a "class membership fee" of $15-50 a year depending on what the class cabinet decides to do. You can choose not to pay, but most people usually does and if you don't, you won't be able to go to a prom.

daeojkim said:
I highly advice against working while you are in SMP. If your main goal is to go to medical school, I would rather get extra loans and focus on studying.

I did volunteer work in a free clinic twice a month for few hours each time though.

yeah, I agree. I wouldn'd approve of working unless you know MIM or embryo from your earlier studies so that it would be a bit of a breeze. I suppose if it is a telecommuting work where you translate from one language to another which you are fluent in, or writing transcripts for the a speech (translation companies do these things) then it wouldn't be so bad as long as you keep that off for a few hours worht in the weekend.

Besides, you can work taking notes for SMP and get paid 60 dollars (before taxes) each time you do. It takes some time at first, but it isn't so bad. Also, if there isn't a whole lot of people that do this, then you get paid more often although doing this more than once a week is a bit stressful. (also, if you are a SMP assistant, basically you spend your hours printing notes and dropping off mailboxes, you get all the notesets free--> yep, you do have to pay for the notes unless you have a nice classmate who would let you photocopy it)

gusmp06 said:
yeah, I agree. I wouldn'd approve of working unless you know MIM or embryo from your earlier studies so that it would be a bit of a breeze. I suppose if it is a telecommuting work where you translate from one language to another which you are fluent in, or writing transcripts for the a speech (translation companies do these things) then it wouldn't be so bad as long as you keep that off for a few hours worht in the weekend.

Besides, you can work taking notes for SMP and get paid 60 dollars (before taxes) each time you do. It takes some time at first, but it isn't so bad. Also, if there isn't a whole lot of people that do this, then you get paid more often although doing this more than once a week is a bit stressful. (also, if you are a SMP assistant, basically you spend your hours printing notes and dropping off mailboxes, you get all the notesets free--> yep, you do have to pay for the notes unless you have a nice classmate who would let you photocopy it)

I agree with gusmp06. Probably the best work is to be a note taker. $60/noteset is a decent deal and you will get to know the material for that lecture inside out.

daeojkim said:
I agree with gusmp06. Probably the best work is to be a note taker. $60/noteset is a decent deal and you will get to know the material for that lecture inside out.
just curious what the note taker does exactly- go to class, record lecture, and transcribe it after?

markboonya said:
just curious what the note taker does exactly- go to class, record lecture, and transcribe it after?

Basically yes.
The focus should be on lecture materials and objectives that are listed in the syllabus.

markboonya said:

ok sounds good...thanks for the advice. however, im still curious as to what the daily schedule looks like. what time are you generally done with classes?

Hi, I have a question regarding filling the immunization form. The form requires a health care provider to fill out the details. I already have all the documents for TB, shots, etc. Does this mean tha I must make an appointment with an actual physician and have him/her look over the documents and fill it out?

Thanks

markboonya said:

Most of the time, the lecture audio is also available online as recorded by the professor and/or the technical staff that do that.

SMP students can only take notes for the grad classes, for medical classes, only medical students can do it.

But basically, yes, the notetaker transcribes the lecture onto paper. Sometimes they organize it a little better or add things from the book that the professor mentioned we should know.