Official: Georgetown SMP Class of 07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
KrnFord920 said:
Housing - what are people doing?

do any past/present physios have suggestions on where to live?

any new physios interested in sharing an apartment with maybe 3 or 4 of us?

I'm trying to hold out on some waitlist, but come july I'm very interested. I think it'll be cool living with some people from the same program.

Members don't see this ad.

tacrum43 said:
I think you should go ahead and write (or call or even set up an appointment to visit in person if you're in the area) to Dr. Myers and/or Dr. Mulroney. It would probably help to show why you want to the SMP and how you think it would help your application.

Apparently, if your overall undergrad GPA is below a 3.0 it is difficult to get in because they have to get a special exception thing from the graduate school in order to accept you.

:luck:

Thanks! I really appreciate the good advice.

Do any of you current SMP students have any feedback about the CAM program. I applied to the program and got in but I want to hear more about how students feel about the program since it is pretty new.

I applied to the program because it is more in line with the type of medicine I want to practice but I also want it to strenthgen my medical school application. Do you guys know how many students go on to medical school from the CAM program and what kind of scores they have. I talked to Dr Myers and Dr Mulroney about the program but I would like to get student feedback so if anyone has any comments all about the CAM program it would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
pacboy said:
I'm trying to hold out on some waitlist, but come july I'm very interested. I think it'll be cool living with some people from the same program.

same here.. I'm interested..

hey guys, i called ms. cabiness today...but i just got a voicemail...i'm sorta worried. :scared: :scared: :scared:

anyones application still under review? i got a complete email on may 26th and i called ms cabiness yesterday, but just as the email said, my application is still under review. bleh, why did i apply so late. any other under review buddies lurking about on this thread?

Yeah, I was complete around the same time. I'm just waiting to hear back. I heard about this program so late...I feel like if I had applied early I would have been in. Oh well, just keeping my fingers crossed. I wonder how many are on the wait-list, how many are in the competitive pool, and how many spots are still available. Good luck everyone...

shepdogg2 said:
Yeah, I was complete around the same time. I'm just waiting to hear back. I heard about this program so late...I feel like if I had applied early I would have been in. Oh well, just keeping my fingers crossed. I wonder how many are on the wait-list, how many are in the competitive pool, and how many spots are still available. Good luck everyone...

there is both a waitlist and a competitive pool for the smp? which one is more desirable?

just a random question . havent found this answer anywhere..about how many people are accepted into the SMP program? and the grad classes taken are with other grad students not in SMP, but at GeorgetowN? thanks

ckhobbes said:
just a random question . havent found this answer anywhere..about how many people are accepted into the SMP program? and the grad classes taken are with other grad students not in SMP, but at GeorgetowN? thanks

Judging by the class picture posted on this years SMP students' website I would roughly estimate that there are around 150 people in that class. Seems a lot, considering they have to fit in one room with the med students for many of the classes. Then again, I don't know the size of the MS1 class.

markboonya said:
there is both a waitlist and a competitive pool for the smp? which one is more desirable?

My understanding was that once they received your app that they could put you in a competitive pool, which just meant they were holding you out for a bit to see what other applicants came in. The waitlist is something they actually inform you that you are on. Basically you can be in the competitive pool (without them informing you of anything yet), then they make a decision and inform you that you were either: rejected, waitlisted, or accepted. Being waitlisted means you are outside the bubble - you will only get in if someone already in drops out or something like that; on the outside looking in so-to-speak. If anyone knows more go ahead and correct me...I could be totally misinformed.

shepdogg2 said:
My understanding was that once they received your app that they could put you in a competitive pool, which just meant they were holding you out for a bit to see what other applicants came in. The waitlist is something they actually inform you that you are on. Basically you can be in the competitive pool (without them informing you of anything yet), then they make a decision and inform you that you were either: rejected, waitlisted, or accepted. Being waitlisted means you are outside the bubble - you will only get in if someone already in drops out or something like that; on the outside looking in so-to-speak. If anyone knows more go ahead and correct me...I could be totally misinformed.

jeez, guess they can be super picky considering how the >1000 apps the get. i am now also wondering the # of students accpeted/waitlisted/pooled. i wonder if ms cabiness/dr myers would tell us if we emailed/called- i think i will send out an email.

when i called ms cabiness yesterday, i asked if sending in another LOR i had just received would help me out- she said no. i guess its so late in the game they dont want to look at any other stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone out there moving to gtown this month, by any chance? i got this internship in DC and will be working there before the program starts. im headed out there in a week and was wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation...cuz id be really interested in sharing an apartment. PM please!

btw im a 21M nonsmoker, and really chill!

Hi! I was wondering those who have been accepted to the SMP or CAM programs what were your GRE scores or ranges...thank you :)

ExtremeUnderdog said:
Judging by the class picture posted on this years SMP students' website I would roughly estimate that there are around 150 people in that class. Seems a lot, considering they have to fit in one room with the med students for many of the classes. Then again, I don't know the size of the MS1 class.

The M1 lecture hall is huge, two floors. no problem holding everyone. More problematic is the SMP lecture rooms. they're small and the seats hurt your ass

Wow, just reading your guy's posts, it would almost seem like the SMP is as competitive, if not MORE than getting into medical school. Good luck to you all.

exmike said:
The M1 lecture hall is huge, two floors. no problem holding everyone. More problematic is the SMP lecture rooms. they're small and the seats hurt your ass

Ex (and everyone else),

It looks like the SMP is not going to use C104 anymore (the small SMP lecture room that hurts your ass)

As of our second semester, they had completed work on the Research building auditorium and we used that for all our Nutrition classes.

I think in future years they plan to use that room exclusively for grad classes (except for the occasional conflict.)

And I don't know if this was answered: The SMP class is roughly 150 people, and so is the M1 class. That means you will be taking med school classes with 300 people, in theory. Of course by the end of the year nearly none of the M1's come to class, so it basically feels like another SMP grad class.

exmike said:

Ex,

I just noticed your Sig. Congrats on Case! When did you find out?

Hi guys! Just got into Georgetown this afternoon, and I'm pretty juiced. However, I'm now making the decision between GT and BU.

If any of you were/are in the same boat, why'd you choose Georgetown? Feel like brainstorming out loud? :D

CMar830 said:
Hi guys! Just got into Georgetown this afternoon, and I'm pretty juiced. However, I'm now making the decision between GT and BU.

If any of you were/are in the same boat, why'd you choose Georgetown? Feel like brainstorming out loud? :D

niiiiice, congratulations!!

i had to make that same decision too. it was hard but ultimately i chose gtown because it was a one-year program and the administration was a lot more focused towards getting you into med school. oh yeah i also lost $200 because i had already committed to BU before i got into gtown...so that sucked (hopefully you won't be in that boat)

BU was great too, but it supported students spending two years there (which would cost like $100,000). a lot of students actually do it in one year anyway, but in order to graduate from BU you have to complete four semesters...so in order to do it in one year, youd have to enroll in two summer sessions.

ok plus im from the west coast so DC's slightly better weather was a plus over the bad boston weather.

lastly...rumor has it that more gtown students get into GUSOM after the SMP, than the BU Med Sci one-year students getting into BUSOM (however a lot get into BUSOM after 2 years)

plus, its Georgetown!!

hope that helped =]

fightingon said:
niiiiice, congratulations!!

i had to make that same decision too. it was hard but ultimately i chose gtown because it was a one-year program and the administration was a lot more focused towards getting you into med school. oh yeah i also lost $200 because i had already committed to BU before i got into gtown...so that sucked (hopefully you won't be in that boat)

BU was great too, but it supported students spending two years there (which would cost like $100,000). a lot of students actually do it in one year anyway, but in order to graduate from BU you have to complete four semesters...so in order to do it in one year, youd have to enroll in two summer sessions.

ok plus im from the west coast so DC's slightly better weather was a plus over the bad boston weather.

lastly...rumor has it that more gtown students get into GUSOM after the SMP, than the BU Med Sci one-year students getting into BUSOM (however a lot get into BUSOM after 2 years)

plus, its Georgetown!!

hope that helped =]

i as well had to make the same decision, and initially, i chose gtown over bu because of 1) 1-year program, and 2) closer to home (although i LOVE boston and would not mind going there for med school).

Weird thing is, i went to mail in my decline letter to BU today, and i got cold feet... i ended up not mailing it in just yet because for some reason i was afraid i was making the wrong decision.

i think i'm being silly... anyways, the due date for the BU deposit is past, so i'd be out of luck anyways. ok, i think i just convinced myself to turn in the BU decline haha.

CMar830 said:

My issues (I chose Georgetown) were more personal than program-based. Here are a few:

*While I'm a New Englander through and through (and I love Boston), I did my undergrad in D.C. and I know D.C. slightly better than Boston. I figured this wouldn't really be a year in which to become acclimated to a city, but rather to study.

*I have friends who are med students and biomedical grad students at GU.

*I know lots of people who still live in D.C., so finding an apartment and a roommate was incredibly easy for me.

For those of you that are waitlisted, just to take into perspective, there are going to be some people that are dropping in on the first day of school because of some no-shows and some people who get into NY medical school that doesn't start until September. I remember last year, Mrs. Cabiness seems to make a big deal about how she had two or three people on the top of the wait-list who are waiting to fly over from Hawaii and California at a moment's notice and one person did show up from California after the orientation ended.

I know some of you have been calling Mrs. Cabiness lately and that's important, but be careful not to have her "Brainwash" you too much. Not to bad mouth her too much, but she has a tendency to use her "tenure" and try to convince people that she is right and the only choice you have is to listen to what she says. This applies to the fact that there are even major miscommunications within the program directors.

For example, last year, Dr. Mulroney made a point that one should not submit their application to GUSOM until end of November because the application will not be reviewed for SMP students until March anyway. So that would give an opportunity to add extra line or two about student impression of Georgetown. For those students who had submitted apps earlier, she said she would arrange the Admissions to not count the application. Well, when a student or two had assumed that everyone on board knew this so went casually talking to Mrs. Cabiness, and she harshly criticized Dr. Mulroney's "inability to carry out administrative duties" and literally screamed at the student saying, "All that matters from now on is your GPA in this class, you hear me?"

Also, I know at least one student who was told to drop out of the program and work at Wal-Mart. I think one did agree to that fate. So when she starts going like a broken tape-recorder repeating things all the time and start resorting to the fact that she is in her sixties and know life in a perspective you don't, please listen to what she says with an element of skepticism.

uptempo said:
just a quick question:

do you think, in any case, med schools would actually hold off on their interview invite/decisions on your app until they recieve your SMP grades? I guess what I'm trying to ask is have any SMPer's gotten accepted into med school early in the cycle BEFORE first semester SMP grades were available?

I think my answer to this one answers several questions so I would say that they do, but in a really ba dway. Many students usually receive a letter stating that the school will wait for the grades to come in after first semester. The problem about this is that histology grade do not come in until late January and if your application is on the bottom of the pile that late in the application season, it does take some luck to be evaluated "fairly". (note: this pertains to MD schools. DO schools usually let you know without such delay)

The trick here is that if you enter in to SMP with a decent GPA (3.4, 3.5 on the AMCAS) and send your secondaries early, then you have a good chance getting an interview, say at EVMS or Albany, etc. For those of you who are really good, maybe you would get an acceptance by January.

However, if you are relying on SMP To boost your GPA, chances are they will ask to wait until January (first semester grades) or March (physiology- 7 credits) grades come in. By then, most of the slots are taken in so even if you do have a good interview, there are good chances that the possibility of you getting in is much lower than if you were to have been interviewed at earlier in the year. This is the reason why when you enter orientation at SMP, you are told to look at this as a two year cycle.

In some cases, you can get a rejection letter from schools really early too. For example, University of Maryland rejected a few students as early as November. The dean of the school explained that the do not have a policy of waiting until January grades and do not see it as an advantage to apply the year one is taking the SMP program.

The reason why SMP encourages you to apply two years in a row is because you get a special consideration to GUSOM as a current SMP student. Dr. Mulroney said that towards the end of the program, everyone should be in a situation to desire staying on onto medical school.

Lastly, please understand that the program is getting more selective than ever that may not reap as much reward as it has in the past. For one, class size is slowly expanding beyond 150 so it is getting more difficult to have closer individual student attention. The website stating that 80% gets interviewed at GUSOM is no longer true because this year, more than 70% of the students had an incoming 3.5 GPA. (and keep in mind that med schools are not really increasing their class size so simple supply and demand economics explains why it is getting harder year by year to cash in on SMP)

Regarding which medical schools to apply to, you do get a handout that states what school SMP students do get into. You would find out that the highest ranked school in that list is Georgetown (ranked 47 in US News and World Report) so don't expect that you would get into Hopkins or Columbia without a miracle.

Georegtown took in about 30 physio students the year before so they decided to take less this year and probably fewer next year. Also, keep in mind that while GW is close by, only three students got in last year.

Someone from Chicago area said that schools there usually don't know much about SMP program so you would have to explain better there.

Regarding studying, I would recommend that one start reading embryology, such as buying the textbook by Larsen or Carlson. Also, start buying BRS books to start testing yourself with practice questions there. I undertsand that many science-oriented students could manage studying just 5 hours a day, but I know several others who spent over 10+ hours studying and they still had not enough time. With the exception of biochem (CMP), all classes involve tremendous level of memorization. --> Basically, each class you're given what is called a syllabus, a 100-200 page bookolet that has ppt slides, images, some notes, and transcripts of what professors say. You basically have to memorize every line of it to be prepared for the exam.

When I say "memorize" it does not mean that you need to be able to dictate from page 1 to page 200. However, it means that you must be prepared to answer any and every question, both straight-forward and curveball, that is relevant in that syllabus. You may be in disbelief as to how irrelevant some of the questions are in the exams (predicting test questions WILL NOT HELP!), but they have the right to do it and will do it to you.

The most prominent way how the exams are detail-oriented is that so many questions will be like "Which one of the following five statements is false" or "Which one of the following five statements is true".

I know a study group that tried changing every sentence of the syllabus into a question and answering it. It was quite exhaustive, having over 2000 questions for a single exam. But I think that approach actually works because that is a way to know everything you can. Basically, this is a year all about memorization. So be prepared for it.

I guess one way to prepare is to see if one of the physios is having the embryology syllabus for sale or free and start memorizing since that way, you have more time to memorize for immunology/ microbiology.

Because I had such a horrible experience applying this cycle (1 interview, 1 waitlist), if I choose to go to GT's SMP, I am not planning on applying during my SMP year. I want to be confident before I apply again, and now is certainly not the time. I would apply the following summer, with a "glide" year to continue the research I'm doing now.

I'm totally fine with this timeline -- however, I took the MCAT in August of 2004, so many schools won't accept it if I wait to apply til next year.

Since the SMP ends in early July, would I even be able to possibly think about retaking the MCAT that August?? Or is it impossible to start studying the May and June I'm in the SMP? Keep in mind that I don't mind retaking the MCAT, I just want to be sure I can get 2.5-3 months to study for it.

Any thoughts would be helpful!!

CMar830 said:
Because I had such a horrible experience applying this cycle (1 interview, 1 waitlist), if I choose to go to GT's SMP, I am not planning on applying during my SMP year. I want to be confident before I apply again, and now is certainly not the time. I would apply the following summer, with a "glide" year to continue the research I'm doing now.

I'm totally fine with this timeline -- however, I took the MCAT in August of 2004, so many schools won't accept it if I wait to apply til next year.

Since the SMP ends in early July, would I even be able to possibly think about retaking the MCAT that August?? Or is it impossible to start studying the May and June I'm in the SMP? Keep in mind that I don't mind retaking the MCAT, I just want to be sure I can get 2.5-3 months to study for it.

There's pros and cons for both sides. The problem about taking MCAT this August is classes are underway with CMP, immuno, and embryo that even holding off for 1-2 weeks would be a challenge unless you studied the subjects at some point in undergrad. (And taking it April while in the program is taboo) The problem about taking MCAT the next cycle is then you would be in the same situation of not being considered early.

Since that would be two extra years, I would say hold your breath and try taking it this summer. Also, you might know this, but MCAT scheduling is changing so maybe timing won't be as hard as it is when it does change soon.

CMar830 said:

My MCAT is from 2004 as well. I just can't see myself taking it again this August, especially since the test date will be right after the beginning of the SMP program. If I don't get in this coming app cycle, I guess I just have to grit my teeth and take it next summer.

because this year, more than 70% of the students had an incoming 3.5 GPA.

You mean >70% had undergrad GPA of 3.5 when coming to SMP? What do they need the program for?

silkworm said:
You mean >70% had undergrad GPA of 3.5 when coming to SMP? What do they need the program for?
I had a 3.6 GPA, and I didn't get into med school this past cycle. The environment is so competitive lately that just having a 3.5 isn't enough. We need these SMPs.

chaeymaey said:
I had a 3.6 GPA, and I didn't get into med school this past cycle. The environment is so competitive lately that just having a 3.5 isn't enough. We need these SMPs.

i had a 34 on my mcat and didn't get in anywhere either.. competitive environment is right.

silkworm said:

Hey, sorry for the confusion. I meant that the graduate GPA for those 70% (closer to 75%, I think) students entering March of the SMP year was 3.5s. It kind of depend on the course though, for example, last year, in immunology class, only two people earned B's in the course and about 55% earned either A or A- and the rest earning B+. (keep in mind that average of that class was about 88%) But that's probably the most generous curve you can get and def. not the case for med school courses.

I also want to add that one good thing about this program is that you really discover whether you really want to go onto medical school or not. I know several students who continued until now on the medical path not necessarily because of their desire to do medicine. And believe me, some of them ended up hating every day of their life in this program because they simply did not enjoy the class at all and kept asking themselves "How in the world did I get here?" So in this context, the fact that you get tested and discover what is it that you really want is not a bad thing, albeit the $!5,000 you lose in the first semester at the very least.

zahque said:
i had a 34 on my mcat and didn't get in anywhere either.. competitive environment is right.

The scary thing is that this competitiveness is spilling in onto the DO programs too. I know someone with a 3.2 GPA and 31 MCAT (usually more than enough) who applied to seven DO schools and got four rejections. And the one school that accepted him was one of the least likely place to go to. The good news is that there are new DO schools starting almost every year. With the exception of one or two additional schools in Florida in a few years, there's no major new MD schools that are going to be started yet.

I really feel what happened to a few DO people I met on the interviews who didn't come close to a 30 MCAT... would luv to hear from them

gusmp06 said:
The scary thing is that this competitiveness is spilling in onto the DO programs too. I know someone with a 3.2 GPA and 31 MCAT (usually more than enough) who applied to seven DO schools and got four rejections. And the one school that accepted him was one of the least likely place to go to. The good news is that there are new DO schools starting almost every year. With the exception of one or two additional schools in Florida in a few years, there's no major new MD schools that are going to be started yet.

I really feel what happened to a few DO people I met on the interviews who didn't come close to a 30 MCAT... would luv to hear from them

meanwhile, physician shortages continue across the board while the number of incoming seats at m.d. schools are restricted to control both high salaries and the 'prestige' of the position. well, it's going to bite domestically trained m.d.'s in the ass, because d.o.'s and foreign m.d.'s are going to fill in aaaaaall those gaps, and domestically trained m.d.'s are going to quickly become a minority. now, i'm not sure that really makes any difference for most of us, but it's counterproductive for the ama, as far as their own interests are concerned.

zahque said:
well, it's going to bite domestically trained m.d.'s in the ass, because d.o.'s and foreign m.d.'s are going to fill in aaaaaall those gaps, and domestically trained m.d.'s are going to quickly become a minority.

I think that's a bit of an overstatement. There's no way that domestically trained M.D.'s will become the minority "quickly", and probably not at all.

tacrum43 said:
I think that's a bit of an overstatement. There's no way that domestically trained M.D.'s will become the minority "quickly", and probably not at all.

you're dreaming, dude. 25% of all physicians practicing in the states -right now- are foreign m.d.'s. and out of the 75% left, a large number of those are d.o.'s (i don't know the number, so i won't make one up. but it's got to be at least 10-15%? maybe more?) m.d. schools are doing very little to increase admissions, while d.o. schools are booming with the competitive m.d. process driving a lot of extremely qualified kids who couldn't snag an m.d. acceptence to the ostepath option. the times they are-a changing.

Domestic trained MD's are never going to become the minorities. There are too many restrictions to allow foreign trained MDs to practice in the US and that restriction will be controlled by US MDs.

The biggest increase will be DO's, PA's, and CRNAs. However, domestic MD's will still be the dominating force in the next few decades.

As of now, MD schools are increasing enrollment numbers. GUSOM increased the enrollment from 150 to 180 last year. Many other MD schools are doing the same due to increased pressure from the government. In the 80's it was projected that there would be an overabundance of physicians around this time, but it turned out that there is a shortage, so there has been a push to increase enrollment numbers across MD schools. Even if new DO schools are being initiated it will be decades before their numbers match that of MDs.

If domestic MDs do become minorities, it will not happen during my life time.

daeojkim said:
Domestic trained MD's are never going to become the minorities. There are too many restrictions to allow foreign trained MDs to practice in the US and that restriction will be controlled by US MDs.

The biggest increase will be DO's, PA's, and CRNAs. However, domestic MD's will still be the dominating force in the next few decades.

As of now, MD schools are increasing enrollment numbers. GUSOM increased the enrollment from 150 to 180 last year. Many other MD schools are doing the same due to increased pressure from the government. In the 80's it was projected that there would be an overabundance of physicians around this time, but it turned out that there is a shortage, so there has been a push to increase enrollment numbers across MD schools. Even if new DO schools are being initiated it will be decades before their numbers match that of MDs.

check out this aamc website link for more info about med schools increasing enrollment: http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/april06/expansion.htm

daeojkim said:

sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. if you'd like it straight from the horse's mouth, this is from the aamc article linked above, referencing attempts to increase enrollment at m.d. schools:

But those increases alone may still not be enough to meet the growing demand for doctors in the next few decades; current efforts are projected to boost enrollment by only about 9 to 12 percent between 2005 and 2015.

In fact, even with a 30 percent increase in enrollment that would result in an additional 4,700 new medical school graduates a year, the physician-to-population ratio in the United States will still decline by 2020.

"A 30 percent increase will only add about 5,000 new graduates a year, which is about half of 1 percent, when the U.S. population is growing at a more rapid rate annually. To meet the future health care needs of Americans, this recommendation is actually a modest one," Salsberg said.

enrollment increases at domestic allopathic schools are paltry, particularly compared to ostepathic enrollment rates. this is from a report from november 2005 by the north carolina institute of medicine:

The Osteopathic workforce has increased dramatically. There are now 20 osteopathic
colleges and 677 residencies. There are a number of schools on the planning board right
now, and enrollment already increased 53% from 6,792 to 10,388. Osteopaths now
account for 11% of physicians and by 2010 the number of osteopaths is expected to
increases 49%, twice the growth rate expected for allopathic physicians.

in the past year alone (2004-05 to 2005-06), osteopathic enrollment has increased by 7.1 percent (3631 to 3889), compared to 2.1 percent for allopathic schools over the same time period (16648 to 17004.) let's even be a bit conservaitve and say that the osteopathic enrollment will increase by 50% over the next ten years (instead of five years as predicted.) with the aamc's estimation of about a 10% increase allopathic enrollment, in 2015, the numbers will look like this:

allopathic enrollment: 18,704
osteopathic enrollment: 7,778

that's in a mere ten years from now and assuming an osteopathic growth rate of just half of the current projection, and even then osteopathic enrollment is approaching almost a full half of allopathic enrollment.

a specific example? the lake erie college of medicine opened a new branch campus in florida in 2004, enrolling 320 students between two classes. they expect a four class enrollment of 1600 students which, surprise, will make it the largest medical school in the country, allopathic or osteopathic.

and, of course, none of these numbers consider increases in enrollment from foreign-trained m.d.'s. so, if you don't think that the strangehold that domestically trained m.d.'s currently hold over the country is, at the very least, seriously threatened over the next 25 years, perhaps you need your head examined. i'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of good osteopathic psychiatrists.

post script - to clarify, i'm applying to 24 schools this cycle, none of them osteopathic, so i'm not a d.o. apologist.

I just got my acceptance e-mail to the SMP class of 07. Woohoo! After being heartbroken being on Texas waitlists, its nice hearing some place accepted me. I hope to see all you guys in the Fall.

PS: how long till I get the package in the mail?

alright!!!!! just got my email acceptance too. what a stressful wait it was.

Ezlife786 said:
I just got my acceptance e-mail to the SMP class of 07. Woohoo! After being heartbroken being on Texas waitlists, its nice hearing some place accepted me. I hope to see all you guys in the Fall.

PS: how long till I get the package in the mail?
Yeehaw, another Texan! Where in TX are you from?

For anyone sitting on the SMP waitlist, I'm going to be withdrawing my acceptance ASAP, so a spot will be opening up for one of you. Good luck!

markboonya said:
alright!!!!! just got my email acceptance too. what a stressful wait it was.

Congrats!!

And I'm glad to see that this thread got back on track to talking about GTown!

anyone coming from the bay area/sfsu/UC Berkeley? are any of u guys bringing a car?

I just got my apartment. Whoever said basement apartments were the way to go was spot-on. Im paying 1k a month, and that includes utilities, washing machine, internet, and cable! The apartment is in a beautiful neighborhood and I'm less than a 5 minute walk from class. My landlords live above me and they struck me as being extremely nice. It was the second apartment I toured and couldnt help but drop a check on them. I cant believe I got a place like this so late in the apartment hunting game.