Official Comp Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually received mines via email. (post-secondary)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone.

I'm heading to Western as well. Does anyone know why there are minimum laptop requirements? Will we have to use our laptops in class or for tests?

Also.. on my interview didn't they mention something about a discount train pass or something like that students could get? Does anyone have any information on the train? I am not a huge fan of driving a car.

Hi everyone.

I'm heading to Western as well. Does anyone know why there are minimum laptop requirements? Will we have to use our laptops in class or for tests?

Also.. on my interview didn't they mention something about a discount train pass or something like that students could get? Does anyone have any information on the train? I am not a huge fan of driving a car.

Minimum COMP laptop requirements: http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/computing/students.xml

I read on the COMP 2010 class page, tests are completed on laptop computer using Blackboard. Your scores are instant after test is completed & submitted, but you won't get full results back until later.

Train use to Pomona? Depends on where you are going to live & the train schedule. Check the schedules on the LA Metrolink website: http://www.metrolinktrains.com/

25% off discount train tickets & other student discounts: http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/university/discounts.xml

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice job with the Facebook kealaq... the COMP 2011 group was started 3 days ago and we already have 12 members of our class on it. Nice to meet all of you by the way, and if you're not on facebook, give it a try... its super easy to set up.

Just think about the possibilities... Facebook will be our new SDN... we could change the world

or at least have something else to do when we're bored

www.facebook.com

then search group "COMP 2011"

-Eric

Does anyone know if a letter is sent out for ISAC?

Also, I read in our orientation book that if you pass the course with an 80% or better and are selected by the faculty as a facilitator you don't have to take any exams in gross anatomy.

Does that mean if you aren't chosen as a facilitator, you still have to take exams?

harrypotter,
I finally received an answer from the director of ISAC about your question:

Once you have passed the ISAC anatomy course, you do not have to take any course exams for the fall Gross Anatomy course (you still have to take the Head and Neck anatomy course, as that material isn't covered in ISAC). This is true whether or not you are a facilitator.

Craig Kuehn, Ph.D.
[email protected]
(909) 469-5248

I'm in the same situation, never took anatomy but would have otherwise been interested in taking the summer course. If you hear anything about that, could you let me know?

Well Dr. Kuehn finally responded to my e-mail that stated my interest in ISAC. He said that he'll put me on the list for taking the ISAC course and that a letter will be sent out to those who have been accepted in the course in late March or early April. So you do need to e-mail him if you are interested.

Minimum COMP laptop requirements: http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/computing/students.xml

I read on the COMP 2010 class page, tests are completed on laptop computer using Blackboard. Your scores are instant after test is completed & submitted, but you won't get full results back until later.

Train use to Pomona? Depends on where you are going to live & the train schedule. Check the schedules on the LA Metrolink website: http://www.metrolinktrains.com/

25% off discount train tickets & other student discounts: http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/university/discounts.xml

Thanks so much for the info! you guys are great. I hope this thread grows huge.

Well Dr. Kuehn finally responded to my e-mail that stated my interest in ISAC. He said that he'll put me on the list for taking the ISAC course and that a letter will be sent out to those who have been accepted in the course in late March or early April. So you do need to e-mail him if you are interested.

So, I'm trying to understand but why are people so psyched to start Gross in the summer time? What are you going to do the other 10 weeks or so, while everyone else takes gross?

-CN

So, I'm trying to understand but why are people so psyched to start Gross in the summer time? What are you going to do the other 10 weeks or so, while everyone else takes gross?

-CN

Personally I like school a lot...enough that I would probably enjoy taking Gross Anatomy during the summer (I'm probably in the minority here). I tend to get bored during the summer. As for ISAC, here is my reasoning:

Even though I have no background in anatomy, I still want to participate in the ISAC since it would give me an earlier exposure to the subject. If I don't do well I can take it again in the Fall with everyone else. On the other hand if I do do well in the class I can still sit into the Gross anatomy lectures. Having a second exposure to the subject would allow me to learn it better. Either way I would still have to take the Head and Neck anatomy course since that matrial isn't covered in the ISAC.

"This is true whether or not you are a facilitator."

I saw that from his email. Does that mean that people can choose not to be the facilitator if they don't want to? I think if I finish off the anatomy subject, I'd be interested in doing a research project (that is if COMP has any projects going on)

Does anyone know if that's possible?

Thank you for the info!

So..... for everyone who is coming to Western from a plane ride away. How are you going about finding:

An apartment?
A roommate(s)?

Are you calling around a bunch of places then going to fly in to check it out? Also when is the best time to do this? How much should I expect to pay in so cal?

From the website the Helix doesn't look too bad. Are their prices reasonable for socal?

Studio Efficiency 336 sq. ft. From $935
One Bedroom 1BR / 1BA 588 sq. ft. From $1150
Two Bedroom 2BR / 1BA 835 sq. ft. From $1500
2BR with Balcony 2BR / 1BA 835 sq. ft. From $1600

http://www.helixpomona.com/welcome.asp

miasapearl, Thanks for filling me in. I doubt I will do the summer anatomy but I may do the science review course.

So..... for everyone who is coming to Western from a plane ride away. How are you going about finding:

An apartment?
A roommate(s)?

Are you calling around a bunch of places then going to fly in to check it out? Also when is the best time to do this? How much should I expect to pay in so cal?

I was going to bring up the same question. Do most people just check out places online, then go see them in person when it's time to move for good? Or should places be checked out a couple of months ahead of time? Kinda new to this since I didn't go away to school for my undergrad years.

By the way, I was looking at some listings on craigslist and saw some decent prices. Only thing is not many of the listings have pics, and craigslist seems so unregulated. Still, it seems like a good resource.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to bring up the same question. Do most people just check out places online, then go see them in person when it's time to move for good? Or should places be checked out a couple of months ahead of time? Kinda new to this since I didn't go away to school for my undergrad years.

By the way, I was looking at some listings on craigslist and saw some decent prices. Only thing is not many of the listings have pics, and craigslist seems so unregulated. Still, it seems like a good resource.

I'm moving from NY. I'm looking for roommates on banweb (finally got on). If nothing works out there, use craiglist. I've used craiglist in DC and San Diego and it's really helpful. If there aren't pics, email them and ask for them. If the people are serious about renting their place fast- they'll send you them and you'll get the dialogue going.

People who post places to rent on Craigslist usually are looking to rent places right away or within a month or two. I'm planning to start looking online in June, go visit with a list of places in July and picking one, and then moving in beginning of August. Not sure if this is what everyone else does, but it's worked for me in the last couple years. good luck!

Hi COMP 2011, just thought I'd clear a few things up for you.

The only tests that we had online were the daily anatomy quizzes. Everything else has been on paper because well... lets just say that online testing was tried but failed miserably. However, it might be ready for your class, I can't say. It was supposed to be ready for our class but heh...

So tests are still on paper; scores are usually back at the end of the day and posted to blackboard.

Also, I'd recommend a tablet with the biggest hard drive you can find. After not even 1.5 semesters, my school folder has 4 gigs worth of stuff in it. Also if you get a tablet, load it up with RAM (2 GB minimum) because windows tablet edition is a hog.

I also recommend buying the optional warranties and accidental damage plan.
These range from $300-$400 usually, but its worth it if anything happens during school or during rotations.

You can borrow upto $1800 to tack onto your loan to buy a laptop.

good luck everyone, see you in the fall

cyclohexanol,

Thanks for the update about the computers!

Did a lot of your classmates get their laptop or tablet computers using the Western University school discount?

Also, do you get any useful software through the school discount? I saw on the website that software is like 85% off the regular price.

Do the professors give you digital copies and/or paper handouts of their lectures?

Do you guys use a note-sharing system?

I think most people already had their laptops when they started, so they didn't use the discount. I had a laptop already when I started, but the HD died half way through last semester. I fixed it, but I bought a tablet anyway. I didn't use any discount for the tablet, I just ordered it direct from gateway.

I also don't buy software through the school for a discount. If you buy software, it would be a good avenue to use, but I don't [buy software]. I also don't buy books.

The professors give you PDF notes, and/or PowerPoint for lectures. This is the main reason I bought a tablet. If I were to print out everything we use, I would go through a ream of paper every few days. With the tablet, I can "print" the material to OneNote and annotate directly.

We don't have a note sharing system, however people will share their notes on occasion; for example if the power went out and the audio recorder failed (happened a couple weeks ago).

if you have other questions, let me know - cyclohexanol

cyclohexanol, thanks for the useful info!

I'm moving from NY. I'm looking for roommates on banweb (finally got on). If nothing works out there, use craiglist. I've used craiglist in DC and San Diego and it's really helpful. If there aren't pics, email them and ask for them. If the people are serious about renting their place fast- they'll send you them and you'll get the dialogue going.

Someone told me that you get access to banweb after you pay the 1st deposit. But I still haven't received any instructions on how to get on, and I paid my 1st deposti about 1 -2 weeks ago. How long does it take exactly?

Hi freakedout06,

Did you receive your Western e-mail account yet? The BanWeb access code should be in your Western email.

Contact Kimberely de Kruif at University Registrar if you have any questions about BanWeb access.

(909) 469-5342
[email protected]

I paid my first deposit and received my e-mail account via snail mail. So I had my Western e-mail & BanWeb access within one week of paying the first deposit. Maybe a slower response back to you, since your snail mail's headed to Long Island.

Keith

Hey congrats to all that were accepted!

I was just wondering when you guys interviewed. I've seen in other threads that COMP is already full and is now interviewing for wait list spots. Can anyone confirm that? I interviewed on 2/26 so I'm hoping it's not true :scared:

Hey congrats to all that were accepted!

I was just wondering when you guys interviewed. I've seen in other threads that COMP is already full and is now interviewing for wait list spots. Can anyone confirm that? I interviewed on 2/26 so I'm hoping it's not true :scared:

I interviewed 2/16 and was placed as an alternate because the class is full. Another interviewee from the same day was waitlisted. I'm assuming you'll get your letter soon...so let us know if it says anything different.

Would anyone mind clarifying the difference between alternate and waitlisted at Western. I'm sitting fat and happy on the alternate list, of which I have no idea what it is. Hopefully looking to "officially" join this thread in the near future. Interviewed 2/1.

Gluck to everyone that's waitlisted. I didn't know they would be interviewing people to be on the list. Don't worry, people have to put their second deposit in on 3/15 so more spots will probably open up.

I just got a book from western: The DO's by Gevitz. I wonder if we have to read that to prep for class?

I talked to Cameron today over at Western, she said that 75% of the class was filled as of today. That's good news, plus after the deposits even more spaces will be available.

Gluck to everyone that's waitlisted. I didn't know they would be interviewing people to be on the list. Don't worry, people have to put their second deposit in on 3/15 so more spots will probably open up.

I just got a book from western: The DO's by Gevitz. I wonder if we have to read that to prep for class?

Dunno, I got it today as well with my health forms...I've read the first edition in prep for interviews, it's a good book (if you haven't read it).

Would anyone mind clarifying the difference between alternate and waitlisted at Western. I'm sitting fat and happy on the alternate list, of which I have no idea what it is. Hopefully looking to "officially" join this thread in the near future. Interviewed 2/1.

Western doesn't have a "waitlist" they have an "alternate list". Functionally, it means the same thing.

I talked to Cameron today over at Western, she said that 75% of the class was filled as of today. That's good news, plus after the deposits even more spaces will be available.

Is there conflicting information then? How can the class be full while only having 75% filled... :confused:

they may have reserved some spots for future interviews.

Lysosome: I bought the book and read it before all of my DO interviews because I wanted to know what I was getting myself into. It is a good book and I think it is worth reading. Health care in this country has come a long way in the past 150 years and so have DO's.

so what's everyone gonna be doing the summer before they start med school?

I really hope us Feb 26th interviewers get our letters in the mail tomorrow.

Lysosome: I bought the book and read it before all of my DO interviews because I wanted to know what I was getting myself into. It is a good book and I think it is worth reading. Health care in this country has come a long way in the past 150 years and so have DO's.

Thanks closetnerd and everyone else. Sounds like it's something i should invest some time in.

so what's everyone gonna be doing the summer before they start med school?

WORK!

For those of us who don't have the time and money to do that summer program, what's a good way to review for school if you've been out for a while?

I will also be working this summer. And......I will do everything in my power to think as little as possible (my brain needs the rest). I have a comp final for my master's program 2 weeks after school is out. It covers gross anatomy (case based), neuroanatomy, and systems based mammalian physiology (after that it is party time!!!!!!!).

If you have been out of school for a while I would suggest that you buy a Netter's Anatomy Atlas and glance through it. Since our first 12 weeks will be anatomy, it couldn't hurt to at least refamiliarize yourself with directional terms, and some of the basic structures. I would also get a medical terminology book and briefly look through it. It seems to me that we could spend an uneccesary amount of time just trying to learn the language of medicine before we actually start to understand it.

I will also be working this summer. And......I will do everything in my power to think as little as possible (my brain needs the rest). I have a comp final for my master's program 2 weeks after school is out. It covers gross anatomy (case based), neuroanatomy, and systems based mammalian physiology (after that it is party time!!!!!!!).

If you have been out of school for a while I would suggest that you buy a Netter's Anatomy Atlas and glance through it. Since our first 12 weeks will be anatomy, it couldn't hurt to at least refamiliarize yourself with directional terms, and some of the basic structures. I would also get a medical terminology book and briefly look through it. It seems to me that we could spend an uneccesary amount of time just trying to learn the language of medicine before we actually start to understand it.

dtrain, great suggestions! Good luck with your comprehensive exam & have a fun summer.

The Netter's Anatomy Atlas - I believe if we sign up for SOMA (Student Osteopathic Medical Association) in the orientation week, we get a free Netter's Anatomy Atlas. Don't know how quickly that comes to you, though.

I also saw that atlas in the COMP bookstore, but all the current students say wait until we get there to find out what books we "really" need and what books we can do without.

Medical Terminology - went to Barnes & Noble & picked an inexpensive teach-yourself medical terminology book. Just straight memorization of Latin/Greek root words & combination forms. Now I can string together Latin & Greek root words like "myelomeningocele." Didn't know what that was, but thanks for the info on "myelomeningocele," olderstudentdoc! (It results in vertabrae deformation & spina bifida in children, causing them to have a very difficult walk & urinary/bowel difficulties).

In the meantime, I am reviewing Human Physiology & Anatomy at a local university, then going on a honeymoon to Mexico with my wife before starting at COMP.

Got the book today in the mail. I guess the book from the admissions office is a "gift" for completing all your deposits.

I already have an old copy, so if anyone wants to buy my second copy, message me. This book was very helpful for preparing for the osteopathic med school interviews.

dtrain, great suggestions! Good luck with your comprehensive exam & have a fun summer.

The Netter's Anatomy Atlas - I believe if we sign up for SOMA (Student Osteopathic Medical Association) in the orientation week, we get a free Netter's Anatomy Atlas. Don't know how quickly that comes to you, though.

I also saw that atlas in the COMP bookstore, but all the current students say wait until we get there to find out what books we "really" need and what books we can do without.

Medical Terminology - went to Barnes & Noble & picked an inexpensive teach-yourself medical terminology book. Just straight memorization of Latin/Greek root words & combination forms. Now I can string together Latin & Greek root words like "myelomeningocele." Didn't know what that was, but thanks for the info on "myelomeningocele," olderstudentdoc! (It results in vertabrae deformation & spina bifida in children, causing them to have a very difficult walk & urinary/bowel difficulties).

In the meantime, I am reviewing Human Physiology & Anatomy at a local university, then going on a honeymoon to Mexico with my wife before starting at COMP.

Thanks, and I hope that you have a great summer as well. I kept my Netter's from this last semester, so maybe if we get a free one, I can sell it on e-bay. I also have a cadaver book that I used in the lab. It looks like I dipped it in butter (wait until lab, and you will know what I mean). Maybe I could sell that one on e-bay too, but I kind of doubt it :laugh: .

Oh.... and I was excited because I actually new what a meningomyelocoele (maybe this stupid master's is worth something :confused: ).

I recently decided I will be attending COMP this Fall.

i put down the second deposit!!! see you all in the fall.

Hi,

I just put in my first deposit for COMP and will put in my second deposit as the next deadline comes in. . .

I am currently looking for apartments in the Pomona area.

See you in the fall!

Hi,

That will be a ridiculously long commute. It takes me 1.5 hours to commute to Pomona in mid-day from Redondo Beach and that is only on a good day. I've had it take in excess of over 2.5 hours before.

As it is, I spend somewhere on the order of $200 in gasoline in a month now that gas is up again $3.19/gallon.

And also, quite frankly, if I did not work down here I would never choose to live in Redondo Beach. The rent is excessive and the area leaves a lot to be desired.

Speaking of Redondo Beach real estate. . . . Of the ten properties I've looked at in the midst of foreclosure down here, 9 were owned by newly minted physicians who had financed on interest-only ARM mortgages. One physician I spoke to said it was impossible to stay under the 28% EBITDA without using an Interest-only ARM. Obviously, he's wrong, because I'm doing it on half of his salary. I did the math for the guy . . . to show him that the non-equity building portions of his payments (i.e. property tax and mortgage interest) is over double what people pay in rent. It's amazing, the guy went to Hopkins, has 150k in school loans and doesn't know how to run an amortization spreadsheet. . .

After all the blood-letting earlier this year, I suggest people coming to California be very wary of purchasing real estate on an interest only ARMs. If that's all people can afford, they are better off renting.

As for myself, I plan on living in the most ghetto cheap place possible and load up on renter's insurance. . . (probably easier said than done.)

But yeah, if you have any advice for me on where to live in Pomona besides the Helix, let me know. . .

Thanks.

That's funny, we should trade apartments since I want to be in redondo beach for 2nd year. :laugh: :thumbup:

Hi,

I don't mean to make back-to-back posts, but what are you guys doing about health insurance?

I just looked at the plan that Western offers and it is disgustingly insufficient.

What worries me is that the maximum benefit for each injury is only $25k which could be EASILY exceeded if you were married and had complications during a pregnancy. (hypothetically speaking. . . I'm a male and not married)

That 25k per-injury limit is ridiculous. It is literally the same thing as having no insurance at all. The purpose of health insurance is to protect your assets by limiting liability above and beyond a certain amount. In this case, I might as well be insuring myself. . .

Normally, when people have injuries, it is a single injury with heavy costs far in excess of 25k, not multiple unrelated injuries each costing $25k.

I've never purchased insurance outside of my employer, but will obviously need to think about it now. . .

What insurance are you all buying? I'm looking for something with a $2000 plan year deductible, a maximum annual out-of-pocket of $3000, and no lifetime limit on benefits. I don't care about the copays or prescription benefits.

Thanks.

Hi,

That 25k per-injury limit is ridiculous. It is literally the same thing as having no insurance at all. The purpose of health insurance is to protect your assets by limiting liability above and beyond a certain amount. In this case, I might as well be insuring myself. . .

Normally, when people have injuries, it is a single injury with heavy costs far in excess of 25k, not multiple unrelated injuries each costing $25k.

That's what you get for paying $800 per plan year. I think it's really only meant to cover you for minor problems here and there. I'm probably going to get my own insurance. Looking into it now.

That's what you get for paying $800 per plan year. I think it's really only meant to cover you for minor problems here and there. I'm probably going to get my own insurance. Looking into it now.

is anyone doing dental insurance too? i'm debating if it's worth it.

Hey guys, when you completed your supplemental application's personal statement, did you restate alot of the information from your personal statement in AACOMAS? Thanks.

Hey guys, when you completed your supplemental application's personal statement, did you restate alot of the information from your personal statement in AACOMAS? Thanks.

I tried to rephrase but it was definitely repeated. Good luck!

Great to see that this thread is active. It looks like I'll be leaving you guys. I ultimately decided on an MD school. Good luck to all and for those of you waiting - I hope you get my seat.