Official Comp Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Western COMP Welcome Week booklet/letter came out in the snail mail today from Student Affairs Office.

August 8
8:00 am to 9:00 am in Founders Park
9:00 am to 12:00 pm in HPC
1:00 pm to 5:00 pm for Student Processing & OMM Structural Exams in HSC

August 9
8:00 am to 4:00 pm in HPC
5:30 pm to 7:30 pm, Ice Cream Social

August 10
8:00 am to 10:00 am in HSC

August 11
at Pomona First Baptist Church
(only 2 tickets for you guests)
8:30 am, Convocation
10:30 am to 11:30 am, DO White Coat Ceremony

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to all of you future class of 2011 Western/COMP peeps. I'm a soon to be 4th year (less than 2 weeks baby!), currently on my peds rotation, on call (notice the time 1:33 am :eek:) and I was going to take a nap :sleep: right now, but wanted to log in to SDN, since I haven't done it in a while, found this thread, and it looks like you guys will have a good class, well at least better than the DO 2010 class!!! j/k ;), just remember "study hard/party hard" that's probably the best way to keep balance in your lives.

My COMP experience has been amazing and I'm sure you guys will love it too! I feel well prepared for boards, rotations, and soon residency!

If you have any questions let me know. Take care and good luck, it really isn't that bad!

I'm definitely headed to Western in the fall! I'm REALLY excited, but nervous about where I'm going to live. I feel like I'm the only person out there that is going to school 100% dependent on loans...wow I'm borrowing a lot of money! I'm used to being broke...but...whoosh... : )
Congrats to everyone accepted and I can't wait to start!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Don, do you have any tips on how to choose a lender for the loans? Or care to share your experiences with certain lenders?

Thanks! and hope you get lots of sleep!

Well harryporter, one of the reasons why I got into medicine was so that I can practice primary care, didn't know exactly which field within primary care at the start of med school, but knew it was going to be primary care. So I just took out the primary care loan (PCL) through the school and I'm all set. Very good interest rate and very flexible. I'll be going into Internal Medicine so it worked out at the end. If you're not too sure, then don't commit to the PCL loan. I heard citibank is cool. I think that our financial aid counselors are great, so feel free to make an appointment, they'll guide you all the way. Good luck

I'm definitely headed to Western in the fall! I'm REALLY excited, but nervous about where I'm going to live. I feel like I'm the only person out there that is going to school 100% dependent on loans...wow I'm borrowing a lot of money! I'm used to being broke...but...whoosh... : )
Congrats to everyone accepted and I can't wait to start!

Only person with 100% loans my foot! I can count on one hand the number of students in my class who didnt take out loans! the vast majority of us are 100% dependent on loans (some have scholarships - i'm not one of them). i wouldnt worry too much about it, you'll be able to pay it off as a doc when you're done. congrats and i second Don's advice - work hard play hard.

So i'm looking into a gym membership and trying to choose between LA fitness and 24 hour. (I'm not that into Bally's) Can anyone tell me how the gyms are?

Thanks Dr. Don for the info. I appreciate it!

Congratulations to all of you for getting into COMP. If anybody wants a place to stay while they're here for the summer getting settled in, let me know if your'e interested in a sub-lease (with option to stay). It is in the nicest (by far) complex near pomona. Includes park, heated pool, lobby with fresh cookies in the morning, gym with free bottled water, movie theater, office with computers connected to the internet and printers, phone/fax in the business center, little putting green, coffee bar / tea bar...

If anybody is interestd, the place becomes available for SUBLEASE end of this month. If you're moving down and need a place while you look for apartments, this is ideal. I'll cover some of the rent to make it more affordable for the month or however long you're there. :thumbup:

PS... you have a private bath/bathroom, walkin closet and 27" plasma TV in the room

Hey guys, I signed up for the Summer Medical Sciences Prep Program but decided not to go because I will be working in the summer. Who should I contact in order to cancel this program? Thanks.

Hey guys, I signed up for the Summer Medical Sciences Prep Program but decided not to go because I will be working in the summer. Who should I contact in order to cancel this program? Thanks.

I think David Becker in the LEAD office.

Can anyone log into Banweb? What lenders are people choosing for the Stafford Loans?

Can anyone log into Banweb? What lenders are people choosing for the Stafford Loans?

Oxytocin-
I was having trouble logging in this morning, so I called the registrar's office, and she had me log in using my birthday as a password (DDMMYY), which then brought up a screen saying my password has expired & having me choose a new one. If that doesn't work for you you'll have to call them. As far as the Stafford Loans go, I was planning on going with MedPreffered, as my plan was to pay off the loan very quickly, but after talking with my aunt who is an accountant, I decided to go with Western's loan, because it gives me a better rate if I end up going with a longer payment plan, and the rate is not that much difference even if I did go with the shorter plan. Hope that helps!

Oxytocin-
I was having trouble logging in this morning, so I called the registrar's office, and she had me log in using my birthday as a password (DDMMYY), which then brought up a screen saying my password has expired & having me choose a new one. If that doesn't work for you you'll have to call them. As far as the Stafford Loans go, I was planning on going with MedPreffered, as my plan was to pay off the loan very quickly, but after talking with my aunt who is an accountant, I decided to go with Western's loan, because it gives me a better rate if I end up going with a longer payment plan, and the rate is not that much difference even if I did go with the shorter plan. Hope that helps!

Thanks Rogerswife. I had them reset my password. Now do we have to either accept or reject the awards? Or can we leave them at "Decide Later"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Rogerswife. I had them reset my password. Now do we have to either accept or reject the awards? Or can we leave them at "Decide Later"?

I think that the financial aid letter said you're supposed to go through all the steps they list within 15 days of receipt, which includes accepting or rejecting the financial aid. I believe the only part you can accept intially is the Stafford part, which should be pretty much a no-brainer since the interest rate is so good & it only covers the tuition part which is non-negotiable. Then you have to decide how much of the GradPlus you want & apply with the lender. The application itself has on it a question of how much you want to borrow, with the maximum you can be approved for being the amount that the financial aid office approved. You can, however, decide that you want to borrow less & put that on the application, I think. Keep in mind though, even if you take the full loans & then find out you don't need it all, I believe you can usually give some of it back within 3 months of disbursement with no penalty. But that's just from what I've read, not from actual experience.

you're all one step closer to becoming osteopathic physicians!

the hard part is seriously over! - not.

Hey everybody. I was just wondering when all of you are planning on quitting your jobs & moving for school (those of you who are currently working & don't already live in SoCal). I was reading through 2010's class thread & it seemed like a lot of them took about a month off before school started. I am completely BROKE though, so my last day is July 25th, and we'll get down to SoCal August 1. What about the rest of you?

Hey everybody. I was just wondering when all of you are planning on quitting your jobs & moving for school (those of you who are currently working & don't already live in SoCal). I was reading through 2010's class thread & it seemed like a lot of them took about a month off before school started. I am completely BROKE though, so my last day is July 25th, and we'll get down to SoCal August 1. What about the rest of you?

Like you, I'm brroke as well and need every penny i can come across. I'm regretting working this close to the end now, but come Aug, when the money is still there, I'll feel good about my choice. I hope.

My last day of work is next friday, and I can't wait. I'll have a week off before I move from San Francisco down to SoCal, where I'll then start the SMSPP course for the month of July. A couple of weeks off after that, then the **** hits the fan!

So does anyone know everything that orientation entails, besides stuff like photos for IDs? It seems like the first two orientation days are quite long, and I was just wondering what all of that time was devoted to. Perhaps a current COMP student could best answer this?

So does anyone know everything that orientation entails, besides stuff like photos for IDs? It seems like the first two orientation days are quite long, and I was just wondering what all of that time was devoted to. Perhaps a current COMP student could best answer this?

Hey Trevelyan, congrats on being accepted to the 2011 class! I am in the COMP 2010 class and we JUST finished our last final exam! I bet you're excited about starting school this August! The first days of orientation are a couple of long days hanging out and listening to presentations on school procedures and other info. There's also a med student panel, made up of current second years, to talk about their experiences and will answer any questions you or your classmates might have. There is also the structural exam to make sure you are physically capable of practicing OMM. Also, there's a computer/technology information session that will tell you all you need to know about connecting to the servers, etc, etc. There's a lot of stuff to cover but it goes by pretty quickly! They will also give you your own locker sometime during those two days.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Katherine

any current students know how many people usuallty move off the high alternative list?

congrats COMP 2011!

as part of the 2010 class, i wanted to extend a welcome to our incoming class :). as for orientation, honestly i don't remember much but katherine's post brings back vague memories ... can't add anything to it though, sorry!

if you have any other questions, etc. feel free to contact me (or my classmates that have posted) & i can try to answer them or maybe help you find someone who can.

i look forward to meeting you guys in august!

usually all

Seriously? There are a bunch of us who are high-alternate that are still waiting, and there appears to be little/no movement according to the people at Western.
I guess people (and new acceptances) trickle out all throughout the summer?

Seriously? There are a bunch of us who are high-alternate that are still waiting, and there appears to be little/no movement according to the people at Western.
I guess people (and new acceptances) trickle out all throughout the summer?

Some people get accepted the week before school starts, its just a matter of when people happen to withdraw.

Some people get accepted the week before school starts, its just a matter of when people happen to withdraw.

I widrew my acceptance this week due to family/financial reasons. So Western will notify someone very soon.

I just received my acceptance and will be sending in my deposit shortly. Does anyone know if you can use a credit card for deposit? I was also wondering if anyone had great insight into decent apartments close by that are reasonably priced. I am coming from Idaho and only pay $350 for a 1 br so this $900 for a studio is shocking. Thanks for the help.

I just received my acceptance and will be sending in my deposit shortly. Does anyone know if you can use a credit card for deposit? I was also wondering if anyone had great insight into decent apartments close by that are reasonably priced. I am coming from Idaho and only pay $350 for a 1 br so this $900 for a studio is shocking. Thanks for the help.

Yes, you can pay the deposit by credit card.

congrats on your acceptance heuristicdoc :thumbup:

we have a facebook group (COMP 2011) you should join, there is A LOT of helpful information on there

as far as apartments, yes its expensive, but many of us seem to be getting roommates. that can help lower rent to 500-700 or so and financial aid should cover that rent no problem

Hahahahaha... seems like most of my classmates (class of 2010) have posted all the info you guys would probably need. But if you guys have any other questions, just shoot me a post here.

Congratulations on being accepted.

where is everyone going to be living this next year? I am still undecided but am checking out a couple places.

did u get a phone call or snail mail?

jeez more movement on the high alternate waitlist please!

Certified letter! I did not receive a call. Good Luck!

Hi people,
I appologize for taking one of the spot and I am not sure whether or not I should attend Med school. I also got accepted to UCSD pharm school. In a couple of days I might decide to drop the COMP DO program. There is still hope if you are on the waitlist. Good luck to all.

I just heard from Western today... I'm pretty excited but feel a little behind in the game!

Does everyone know where they're going to be living?

congrats! Not a clue yet, but I am scrambling also. I am from out of the area and it is hard to find a place over the internet. Good Luck

congrats! Not a clue yet, but I am scrambling also. I am from out of the area and it is hard to find a place over the internet. Good Luck

Is anyone signing up for health insurance NOT through the school? Does anyone know of any good plans out there and what the cost is?

Is anyone still looking for a roommate? If so PM me!!!

I just looked through the COMP class of 2011 Facebook.
It looks like everyone graduated from college between 2005-2007.
I may be the oldest person coming into this class. :( (I'm 30.)
Is the percentage of non-trads lower at Western than at other schools?

It says on the COMP website that the average age of the class of 2010 was 28, so I would think that you will definitely have some classmates around your age. Most likely they're just not on facebook because it was only created (or at least widely used) a few years ago. Also, I know for sure that one of the non-trads has been a PA in the military for several years & has a wife & kid, so you definitely won't be the oldest. Don't worry, we younger ones will resist the urge to call you Old Man Stringerbell. ;) Does this mean you're for sure going to be joining us, or are you still deciding?

Don't worry, we younger ones will resist the urge to call you Old Man Stringerbell. ;) Does this mean you're for sure going to be joining us, or are you still deciding?

Ahh, there are no innocent questions, are there? :)
We'll know within the next couple of days.

Ahh, there are no innocent questions, are there? :)
We'll know within the next couple of days.

Well I know there are at least 2 people older than 30.. one 33 and one 35. so no worries :)

and i sure do hope you join us at western! ;)

Is anyone signing up for health insurance NOT through the school? Does anyone know of any good plans out there and what the cost is?

Piggi- I'm not using the school's insurance. On ehealthinsurance.com I found a plan called SimpleValue 30 Generic, which has no deductible, 30% coinsurance except on office visits (which are $30), & has a $7500 maximum out-of-pocket. It's $172 per month for both my husband & me, so if it's just you you'd be looking at about $86. I decided to go with this plan because I'll most likely only be using office visits, but I do that fairly frequently so I didn't want to have to pay some huge deductible before I could get those visits covered. I also like knowing that the most I would ever have to pay out-of-pocket would be $7500 for each of us, which is actually not much if something catastrophic happens (it cost my insurance over $12,000 last year to fix my nose broken by an errant softball). Also, as an aside for any of you thinking about getting dental coverage, from what I've seen it's really just not worth it. There's a dentist in Pomona, Soboh Dental, that has a program where you pay them $100 for a year of coverage, and in return you get two cleanings, xrays, any emergency office visits you might need, and a tooth whitening kit. If you look around you'll see that most dental coverage will cost you at least $20 per month, which doesn't add up if all you're doing is getting the regular cleanings. That's it for my commercial!:D

Hi all-

I am in to Class of 2011....I was a high alternate who got the certified letter last week but I was on vacation. I called Monday and put the deposit down immediately. I was in at ATSU-SOMA and excited about it, but live in South OC and was praying Western would come through! Just in the knick of time because I nearly had my house rented out! Anyway, I am thrilled and cannot wait. P.S. Stringerbell....I think I am following in your footsteps from ATSU to Western (did you decide??)...anyway I am 25...almost 26 but graduated college in 2003; not to off from you.

I joined the facebook group, but here is my bio:

I am married with no kids and I am leaving my job as a drug rep to go back to med school.( happy and sad about this)...both my husband and I are reps and what works out so well is that his territory is out in Pomona and surrounding cities so we can carpool.....:) I went to Vanguard University and played college bball so I hope some of you are athletes as well so that we can get some games/teams together (between cadaver dissection).

Cannot wait to meet you all! Looks like the beach party will be fun too!

Take Care,

Courtney

Don't worry, I'm 34.

Do you know if we will be attending the AOA conference in October? October 1-3 is blocked off on the OMS-I 2007 schedule. Will we be doing activities at that time, or is something else planned?

I'd really like to attend my friend's wedding, in South Carolina, on the weekend before.

Hey guys- i was recently accepted to western and am excited about joining everyone! I am scrambling to get everything together and am looking for a place to live! I am female looking for a female roommate or a coed group! Let me know if you hear of any openings! Thanks!... my email is [email protected]

Anyone know which textbooks are worth buying? Is really that important to buy both the Atlas of Human Anatomy and Gray's Anatomy for Students???

last year we had the time off for the AOA conference (which was in vegas) so some people went to the conference and others just took mini vacations.

the books i used for anatomy were the netters atlas and the dead body book. i also bought gray's but didn't use it often. i like to learn by looking at pictures instead of reading, so i guess it depends on your learning style.

Do you know if we will be attending the AOA conference in October? October 1-3 is blocked off on the OMS-I 2007 schedule. Will we be doing activities at that time, or is something else planned?

I'd really like to attend my friend's wedding, in South Carolina, on the weekend before.

The blocked out time on the schedule for “AOA” is time off for both the OMS I and II students to allow those that want to attend the ACOFP/AOA Annual Conference in San Diego, CA. from Sept. 30-Oct 4. This is an optional event, attendance is not required.

Thanks,
Lara Capuzzi