Official Comp Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Future DOs,

Congratulations to all of you for making it this far. This thread may be early in the cycle, but I wanted to get to know my potential future classmates since I am highly considering COMP. Also, by talking things out, it will help it in the decision making.

Here are a few things, that you may be interested in.

Western University of Health Sciences / College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
2006: http://www.westernu.edu/OPTI-West/pdf/matchlist2006.pdf
2005: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2421485&postcount=19
2004: http://www.westernu.edu/OPTI-West/pdf/matchlist2004.pdf
2003: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2383517&postcount=11
2002: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2383513&postcount=10
2001: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2357167&postcount=6
2000: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2357152&postcount=5[/QUOTE]

So, let me know who everyone is and let's keep this thread up-to-date!

Members don't see this ad.

Also got accepted! Anyone else out there? P.S. Thanks for the advice on my thread :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
On 8/24... I was one of the people in the first interview group.

Hey, congrats on getting in. I got my letter of acceptance on 9/17 (interviewed on 9/8). I'm just waiting on a few other schools to get back to me before making a decision.

Hey, congrats on getting in. I got my letter of acceptance on 9/17 (interviewed on 9/8). I'm just waiting on a few other schools to get back to me before making a decision.
Hey, I remember you from our interview on September 8th. Congrats. I know that you really enjoyed DMU. I'm interviewing there next week. Thanks for posting. Just wanted to get a sense of what others are feeling about COMP.

hello there maybe future classmates! i also interviewed 9/8. lucky batch, i guess! :)

Western Acceptance:
Yeah, I haven't made up my mind yet. My Texas schools won't decide until November or February! It's going to kill me! I am also waiting for interviews from OSU and Loyola. Deciding will be a difficult process!:confused:

Western Acceptance:
Yeah, I haven't made up my mind yet. My Texas schools won't decide until November or February! It's going to kill me! I am also waiting for interviews from OSU and Loyola. Deciding will be a difficult process!:confused:
I know what you mean. At least you don't have to put in a deposit until December. It is kind of funny that you, rub, and I got accepted and we were sitting next to each other. I wonder if Jessica got accepted too. Whatever the case may be, congrats!

Yeah, we were all sitting next to eachother. Maybe they played "duck-duck-goose" or something with the admissions process! LOL.

Yes, it's very reasonable and cool that Western gives us some time to make a decision.:thumbup:

See you at Mare Island!

Congratulations on your acceptances!

Moving this thread to the class threads forum.

Congrats to everyone who interviewed, and huge props to those who got accepted! I interviewed on 9/12, and I'm hoping to hear back soon. If I get in, I'll definatly be there. It's such a great school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, we were all sitting next to eachother. Maybe they played "duck-duck-goose" or something with the admissions process! LOL.

Yes, it's very reasonable and cool that Western gives us some time to make a decision.:thumbup:

See you at Mare Island!

you guys are together at mare island??? aww...i'm jealous! :) good luck!

you guys are together at mare island??? aww...i'm jealous! :) good luck!
lol. No need to be jealous. You've seen plenty of people off of here. Plus you're batting 1000. :) You're a force to be reckoned with.

Congrats to everyone who interviewed, and huge props to those who got accepted! I interviewed on 9/12, and I'm hoping to hear back soon. If I get in, I'll definatly be there. It's such a great school!
Thanks and best of luck.

yeah, wish you could be there Rub....you are rockin' the admissions "hizzle"!

Good luck (although, I think you have mastered that!):luck:

aww, i love you guys!!! that means a lot coming from great applicants such as yourselves. :p

Hey Everyone,

I hope that everyone is having a very successful interview process. Hopefully, you have gone on a number of interviews and are anxiously waiting on acceptances.

Today I received information on the WesternU e-mail account. I believe you should be receiving the same shortly if you haven't already. WesternU indicates that vital information regarding University services is transmitted through the e-mail.

Enjoy the extra e-mail account. I know I have too many as it is.

Some links that you may find useful:

Scholarships:
http://www.fastweb.com
http://www.finaid.org

Housing at the Helix (across the street from WesternU):
http://www.helixpomona.com

Hello all!

I just got my acceptance to COMP today in Northwest Track! I'll see everyone there in August (or earlier if you decide to do ISAC).

Hello all!

I just got my acceptance to COMP today in Northwest Track! I'll see everyone there in August (or earlier if you decide to do ISAC).
Congrats! So you've decided on COMP?

Northwest Track 2011. interviewed 9/12. Accepted 9/25.

Hey everyone,

Thought that you may be interested in some statistics from U.S. News

For the class of 2005:

Average GPA - 3.45
Average MCAT - 8.9; V: 8.5 P: 8.9 B: 9.6
Accepatance Rate - 23.1%
Percentage interviewed - 25.6% total
Percentage accepted from interview - 90% total

Congrats to all the applicants who have heard at this point.

Do you get the e-mail account once you send in the deposit?

I'm seriously considering cancelling some of my interviews now that I have an acceptance at western. After doing some research online, it is a much better school than I originally thought. The helix has awesome amenities. Also, I like that the school offers a free YMCA membership and has no dress code or attendance policy.

No cafeteria, but no biggie.

I'm definitely cancelling my WVSOM interview.

I may go to my Touro-mare island interview, but I'm not sure yet.

Do you get the e-mail account once you send in the deposit?

I'm seriously considering cancelling some of my interviews now that I have an acceptance at western. After doing some research online, it is a much better school than I originally thought. The helix has awesome amenities. Also, I like that the school offers a free YMCA membership and has no dress code or attendance policy.

No cafeteria, but no biggie.

I'm definitely cancelling my WVSOM interview.

I may go to my Touro-mare island interview, but I'm not sure yet.
Congradulations dryuja and Elmer dee!

You get your email a few days after you get your acceptance. I agree, the Helix seems pretty nice, and house rentals aren't too bad in the area if you find a few other people to share the rent. As far as no cafeteria, there's a subway across the street, which is better then all other cafeteria food I've ever had. Super cheap on-campus parking ($180/year... it was $300/quarter at my undergrad school), great facilities, great faculty, modern integration of technology/web into the curriculum, huge art/music/film/beach potential in LA, close-knit campus, and everything you mentioned... it just keeps getting better. I just sent in my desposit, and cancelled my KCUMB and Touro-mare island interviews. I couldn't be happier with COMP, and I can't wait for next summer!

You get your email a few days after you get your acceptance. I agree, the Helix seems pretty nice, and house rentals aren't too bad in the area if you find a few other people to share the rent. As far as no cafeteria, there's a subway across the street, which is better then all other cafeteria food I've ever had. Super cheap on-campus parking ($180/year... it was $300/quarter at my undergrad school), great facilities, great faculty, modern integration of technology/web into the curriculum, huge art/music/film/beach potential in LA, close-knit campus, and everything you mentioned... it just keeps getting better. I just sent in my desposit, and cancelled my KCUMB and Touro-mare island interviews. I couldn't be happier with COMP, and I can't wait for next summer!

Also, I noticed that their class statistics are higher than some other DO schools.

Congrats everyone on your acceptances.

I received and interview invite, but was thinking about not going after readng about some of the cons of the school ... the look of the buildings, the air quality, cost of living, difficulty with arranging own schedule 4th year... Were any of these factors for you all? Do you think people were exagerating the negatives?

I am very impressed with allthe positive things I am hearing on here and I really think block scheduling would be great.

I'm from philly and a little worried about the cost (and time) of all the travel for interviews, but i guess in the long run, it doesn't really matter.

I received and interview invite, but was thinking about not going after readng about some of the cons of the school ... the look of the buildings, the air quality, cost of living, difficulty with arranging own schedule 4th year... Were any of these factors for you all? Do you think people were exagerating the negatives?

I am very impressed with allthe positive things I am hearing on here and I really think block scheduling would be great.

I'm from philly and a little worried about the cost (and time) of all the travel for interviews, but i guess in the long run, it doesn't really matter.
For the Helix, the place across the school, it is about $1100 for a single bedroom and $1450 for a two bedroom place. I'm not sure the rental rates for Philly, but these stats are comparable or lower than what you would find in Massachusetts.

The buildings at COMP look like mini warehouses because it used to be a strip mall. Though it is not aesthetically pleasing on the outside, are you going to go to a school or not go to one because of what it looks like on the outside? I am weighing in that factor, but find it silly to have that be the determining factor. Besides, you'll be in class most of the day. It's the facilities inside and the curriculum that you should be going to a school for, IMHO.

I did notice the "smog" but that cleared up really soon. The cost of living is the same as Massachusetts, so it's not a stretch for me. After all is said and done, the financial aid that they give you for living the whole year in CA is not much different than the ones at NSU or DMU where I've interviewed also. In terms of setting up your 4th year clerkship. You should have no problem finding one. I find a great advantage in setting up my own because I can go to a hospital I really want to go to. These are the places where you are going to apply to for your residencies. So, why be semi-restricted as to where you can go?

Sorry for rambling. Hope this helped some. :)

PS - I also found that unless I interviewed at a place, I didn't get a full sense of that school. I have been impressed by the interview process at schools that I wouldn't have considered going in the past. IMO, the interview process closes the loop.

In times like these rambling is good.
Thanks for all the info and the insight!

I got accepted to the NW track too!!!

The Helix offers studios for around $775.

As for the look of the buildings, they are doing some work to improve the look. It should be completed in August.

Really? I got my acceptance a month ago and I have yet to receive my e-mail. At least if I did my parents haven't told me about it yet. Also where are you getting the information about helix?

Really? I got my acceptance a month ago and I have yet to receive my e-mail. At least if I did my parents haven't told me about it yet. Also where are you getting the information about helix?

Here's a link to the helix website:

http://www.helixpomona.com/

I also found a lot of information about the school on the comp class of 2010 thread. I think I will compile the most important stuff and put it in this thread.

Thanks. That would be helpful. The letter about the email address comes about few days to a week after your acceptance. It comes in an envelope like your acceptance letter. You can always call up Western for the information.

Here's a link to the helix website:

http://www.helixpomona.com/

I also found a lot of information about the school on the comp class of 2010 thread. I think I will compile the most important stuff and put it in this thread.

Wow, how did you find out about the scholarship? Congrats!

They sent it with my acceptance letter. Its pretty small compared to the cost of attendance, but still nice.

Are you all definitely headed to Western?

If you are looking to save $, I noticed that rooms in houses in Pomona seem more reasonable than getting an apartment. check out:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/roo?query=pomona

It sounds like there is a big student presence in the area between Western, Cal Poly Pomona and Claremont College.

The smog might be strange for people who have never been to LA, but it is transient, isn't that big of a deal, and is something you get used to and forget about within a week or two. It's not much worse then other cities, and don’t forget that WARM PACIFIC BEACHES are an hour away! Go surf on the weekends, or rollerblade in a bikini and 80’s hair at Newport beach!

The buildings are made from an old mall (it used to be a JC Penny's or something equivalent). There isn't fancy gothic architecture or Harry Potteresk libraries, but the building facades are nice, the campus has grass and trees, and the inside of the buildings are aesthetically pleasing (state of the art lecture halls, etc.). They have free computer support for students in the library, and the town is pretty neat. If anyone is worried about COMP being in a bad neighborhood, then they haven't seen the warzone that is USC (they have a walled perimeter with guard towers). Pomona/Claremont are polar opposites of this situation, and COMP doesn’t need a defensive perimeter. Like what was said previously, the campus is being re-landscaped and updated. But even so, who cares? You’ll be studying all the time anyway!

LA is crowded and hot, but COMP is in the middle of a metropolitan area of 24 million people, which results in huge amounts of clinical experience potential for MS III/IV. COMP students rotate at many of the same hospitals that Loma Linda, UCLA, UCI, and USC MSIII/IV students go to. Being able to collaborate with so many different institutions, hospitals, and patients of all needs is a rare opportunity. Similarly, northwest track students at COMP accompany UW and Oregon Health and Sciences students in some rotations, as well as many other hospitals that COMP alone uses (the number keeps increasing). Having the ability to customize one’s own MS-IV is such a valuable edge, for this allows one to brush up on any field they need more work in.

If you are looking to save $, I noticed that rooms in houses in Pomona seem more reasonable than getting an apartment. check out:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/roo?query=pomona

It sounds like there is a big student presence in the area between Western, Cal Poly Pomona and Claremont College.
I'm defiantly headed to western. Considering Helix or trying to get a house with some people for the first few months.

It's something that I'm highly considering. I'll wait a little longer since I interviewed at a few other schools, but Western has become more and more attractive as I research the school and surrounding area.

They sent it with my acceptance letter. Its pretty small compared to the cost of attendance, but still nice.

Are you all definitely headed to Western?

I just got accepted to Western last week. well, my first acceptance. hopefully more will come my way.

Is anyone here definitely going to western?

or is it too early to tell. the previous comp thread didn't get started until November...

Is anyone here definitely going to western?

or is it too early to tell. the previous comp thread didn't get started until November...

I'm definately going.