Official Comp Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone get the early anatomy program invite yet? The one where you take a fast paced summer course and then TA during the school year.

I'm qualified GPA wise, but not so sure MCAT wise. Just wondering if anyone got a response from them or if I didn't make the cut.

The orientation book said that if you are interested in the early anatomy course you should contact Craig Kuehn. I've sent an e-mail to the professor in charge stating my interest in the program back in January. I believe that you need No response as of yet. The requirement listed inthe booklet said "You may be qualified if your science GPA is 3.35 or higher and your MCAT average is 8.7 or above. It is required to have had an anatomy course in your undergraduate background because of the rapid pace of the course." I'm close to the GPA and MCAT requirement but my undergraduate school doesn't offer any anatomy course. So I'm lacking there. I'm still waiting for a response. Good luck to everyone who wants to get into this course.

I can't wait to meet all of you in August. ^_^ (Can't wait to feel warm again... I go to college in Maine *waiting for tomorrow's 2 feet of snow hoping that classes would be cancelled*)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just about to send in my second deposit... and I'm excited about the school.

About me:
I'm 25 years old and graduated UCSB 2004, currently live with college friends down in Pacific Beach (SD). I'm currently working some menial temp jobs down here and traveling to Peru to hike Machu Pichu and backpack around S. America for 7-8 weeks before school starts. Super excited. Other interests include surfing, snowboarding, and almost anything outdoors.

About Housing:

Right now Claremont is my top choice and ideally I would love to live with one or more students from our class in a two or three bedroom place... cut costs/ utilities, increase fun, and to break the mold of being an isolated unsocial medical student...
-Anyone interested?

Question:

Is anyone thinking about doing that intro to science course that starts in July?
-I am really leaning towards it since I have been out of school for 3 years now... and I would rather not be blown out of the water when school starts.

See you guys soon
- (soon to be) Dr. B

I'm close to the GPA and MCAT requirement but my undergraduate school doesn't offer any anatomy course. So I'm lacking there. I'm still waiting for a response. Good luck to everyone who wants to get into this course.

I'm in the same situation, never took anatomy but would have otherwise been interested in taking the summer course. If you hear anything about that, could you let me know?

Members don't see this ad :)
About Housing:

Right now Claremont is my top choice and ideally I would love to live with one or more students from our class in a two or three bedroom place... cut costs/ utilities, increase fun, and to break the mold of being an isolated unsocial medical student...

I've been leaning toward trying to find my own place since I'd like to bring my dog with me, but sharing rent with roommates would definitely help keep loans down and allow living closer to school (such as Claremont). PM me if you want to talk about it.

I'm in the same situation, never took anatomy but would have otherwise been interested in taking the summer course. If you hear anything about that, could you let me know?

Of course.

it looks like i'll be at western this year as well. I was also looking at the claremont area (possibly Pasadena - not too sure yet about the drive), and was kinda thinking about hooking up with some roommates for the year as well

hey cafutbol
I live up in SF and look forward to surfing the warm waters of SoCal for the next 4 years - i'm sick and tired of my wetsuit.
but, i'm interested in finding a roommate or two as well. PM me and we can talk some time.

it looks like i'll be at western this year as well. I was also looking at the claremont area (possibly Pasadena - not too sure yet about the drive), and was kinda thinking about hooking up with some roommates for the year as well.

I live up in SF and look forward to surfing the warm waters of SoCal for the next 4 years - i'm sick and tired of my wetsuit.

flabs,
Just drove from Pomona to Pasadena yesterday. Visited Western campus and ate lunch there. Took me about 45 minutes in mid-afternoon traffic (57 north to 210 west). Weather has been good here for February, almost 80 degrees tomorrow.

I am not a surfer but maybe someday I'll try it out. Yosemite white-water rafting...now that was scary & fun! See you in August.

Where would you (anyone familiar with SoCal/Western) recommend living? I've heard that though Claremont is nice, it's extremely boring and can be expensive. I was thinking about Pasadena. With CalTech close by, there would be a little more culture, etc. What's an approx. daily drive time from here?

I'm the kinda person that needs more than just an apartment somewhere, I need a community. And since the Pomona area seems to be lacking this, I was hoping to find it somewhere close by. Any other recommendations with this in mind?

hey again flabs,
I brought your question over from the other forum... When my wife was a grad student at Claremont Colleges, she lived in Upland/Montclair area. There's a mall & shopping. Rent was $1600 for a double bedroom apt. Her classmates lived in Claremont, Upland, or a little east of Ontario Airport (Rancho Cucamonga). That would be about a 15-20 min commute to Pomona. I have friends down in Diamond Bar & they feel comfortable with that area.

As for community, Claremont has a "small college town" feel. Kind of laid back & quiet. There is a Claremont Village (main street) with small shops.

Cylohexanol, COMP MS1 student, suggested the Los Feliz area. I personally like this area's location because its very near cultural centers of Hollywood, Glendale, Burbank, & Pasadena (5 & 134 freeways). Downtown LA, Dodger Stadium, LA Zoo, & Griffith Park/Observatory are nearby. Griffith Park is one of the largest parks in the US, which is kinda amazing with LA's urban sprawl. There is access to those areas, a lot of cultural mix, & variety of restaurants too. But driving from Los Feliz to Pomona would be about 1 hour. You end up wasting a lot of time crawling in LA traffic.

Northwest Track 2011. interviewed 9/12. Accepted 9/25.
Same here...I'm a Emergency Medicine PA at Madigan...congrats! Will be joining you in the NW Track. See you in August 'less we want to have a NW Track "event" before then if anyone thinks it's a good idea...

I haven't been able to find a 07-08 calendar either, but I haven't looked for more than a few minutes. I guess after seeing last years, I just settled with orientation in early August.

I just signed in to the e-mail, but can't sign in banweb yet. If you got your e-mail address already then you would just go to mail.westernu.edu for e-mail.
I did get one e-mail already for a home rental for $1990 :eek:

I have no idea on Helix, but I figure if you sign up now you should have a good shot though, so good luck. Anyone else know about it?

Thanks for the input, I'm just going to plan to move in sometime during the first week of August. I just signed into the email and got a ton of rando emails and a couple ones about places to live, yikes. I'll try and get onto banweb too. Thanks!

Same here...I'm a Emergency Medicine PA at Madigan...congrats! Will be joining you in the NW Track. See you in August 'less we want to have a NW Track "event" before then if anyone thinks it's a good idea...

Congrats on your acceptance, olderstudentdoc. I just saw your webpage. Your experiences rock! I will enjoy having classmates with very diverse experiences because I like learning from each other. As for me, I am a behavioral therapist for children with autism, teaching them how to talk. Ending that in June to start at ISAC. Can't wait to meet more of my COMP classmates this summer!

I toured Helix when I was there and it seemed like it was worth the $150-200 premium that you would pay compared to other close in housing options. My kids may come to stay with me and the comparative security it offers is appealing as well.

As for me, I am a behavioral therapist for children with autism. Ending that in June to start at ISAC. Can't wait to meet more of my COMP classmates this summer!
That is so cool...I look forward to learning from you, working with children with autism has to be very challenging. I'm not sure I could do it. That takes lots of courage and patience I'm sure. Wish I could get away from my job to do ISAC but my contract doesn't end until July 31st. Taught cadaver based gross anatomy in the past and would really enjoy being involved with ISAC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone thinking about doing that intro to science course that starts in July?
I am really leaning towards it since I have been out of school for 3 years now. and I would rather not be blown out of the water when school starts.

Application for Summer Medical Sciences Prep Program (SMSPP) came out in the mail. Its anatomy, biochem, & OMM intro from July 2 to July 27. Costs $475 which includes textbooks. If you didn't get an application in the mail, contact the SMSPP director, David Hacker, at [email protected].

Hello everybody,
i am so happy to get into western. I will see yall in august . As of now, how many of you are thinking about the summer program-i dont know if i should take a month break after spring quarter or study again before school starts. i havent taken anatomy and that is what scares me the most:confused: :scared: :scared: :scared: please give me ur honest opinions.

Hey Kajol, congrats!

I just got a letter about the SMSPP yesterday. I'm strongly considering it because I haven't taken anatomy, biochem, or been exposed to OMM. But I think most current med students I know would say just have as much fun as you can before school starts.

This program seems like it will be an edge when it comes to anatomy and since I can't wait to start school (have been out two years), another month earlier may not actually not a bad thing. Just weigh out how much you think that intro will benefit you versus how much you'd miss having that extra month off.

Hello everybody,
i am so happy to get into western. I will see yall in august . As of now, how many of you are thinking about the summer program-i dont know if i should take a month break after spring quarter or study again before school starts. i havent taken anatomy and that is what scares me the most:confused: :scared: :scared: :scared: please give me ur honest opinions.

We can take the SMSPP program for the intro to anatomy, biochem, & OMM. These SMSPP classes do not go on our transcript, so its purely for our introduction & review...No pressure. Do the best you can to get used to the workload. Four week long commitment... you can still have July 28th to August (7th?*) free to do what you want.

If we take ISAC, its an eight week commitment. Unknown about the workload, but probably move at a very fast pace to cover 11 weeks of anatomy in 8 summer weeks. Pressure is on, those grades do go onto our transcript because it is a real 1st semester med school class. If you get below a 70% in ISAC, you take a withdrawl, & you HAVE to retake the 1st semester of gross anatomy in the fall. But I like that if you get an 80% or higher in ISAC, you don't have to take the gross anatomy exams in the fall. Its up to you if you think you can handle 8 weeks of ISAC anatomy in the summer (only one class) vs. handling 11 weeks of anatomy in the fall (in addition to our other classes).

(*I put down Aug 7th above, because we have to do some sort of orientation before school starts on Aug 13th)

Does anyone know if a letter id sent out for ISAC?

Also, I read in our orientation book that if you pass the course with an 80% or better and are selected by the faculty as a facilitator you don't have to take any exams in gross anatomy.

Does that mean if you aren't chosen as a facilitator, you still have to take exams?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if a letter is sent out for ISAC?

Also, I read in our orientation book that if you pass the course with an 80% or better and are selected by the faculty as a facilitator you don't have to take any exams in gross anatomy.

Does that mean if you aren't chosen as a facilitator, you still have to take exams?

Professor Kuehn, the ISAC director, said that the application for ISAC will be out in late March or early April to all admitted COMP students.

I don't know if you have to get both "an 80% or better AND are selected to be a facilitator, you will not take any more examinations in the first semester gross anatomy," or just an "80% or better" to be exempt from the examinations. That's a good question, harrypotter. It would be nice to be free of those exams for the first semester! :)

Any runners interested in the Disneyland 1/2 Marathon on September 3rd, 2007?

I just received my letter for that paid summer program today too. I've been debating if I want to start any summer programs at all. I've been out of school for almost 2 years and it's nerve wrecking to think that in a few months, I'll have to find my way again....a part of me feels that the drive I had when I was in college has died down a bit (esp after the draining MCAT) and I worry that I won't be up to par with my class. A refresher course would be good....However, if I take any summer program..that would mean missing out on part of summer and more money down the drain. I'm only working parttime now and it's definitely a struggle. What to do...what to do...

I know what you mean lysosome, it'll be hard to give up two months for the summer program. I wish some comp students who did the program would chime in and give us their thoughts... hint hint! :)

I know what you mean lysosome, it'll be hard to give up two months for the summer program. I wish some comp students who did the program would chime in and give us their thoughts... hint hint! :)

I found this post in the COMP 2010 class forum. It was posted by a DO 2009 student. People asked the same questions we now ask:

Originally Posted by jenniemh
I am a COMP MSI who is both NWT and did ISAC. Honestly - I highly recommend doing ISAC.... but NOT for the reason you give. You need to know that COMP is on a block system (DO2009 was the first group) and ALL of gross anatomy is done in an intense 8 or 10 weeks. Which means that you will NOT have a lighter load for the rest of the semester - you will have practically no lectures to attend for those 8 weeks if you do ISAC. Now, that doesn't mean those 8 weeks need to go to waste. 1) you still are doing anatomy as a fascilitator, meaning you remember your anatomy much better and 2) you will have time to get ahead on other subjects... and we DO2009's would be more than willing to tell you what to do to get ahead.

Here's the con - you can lost momentum when you don't have to go to lectures for almost 2 months. ISAC is an intense 6 weeks and you meet great people in a very close-knit community - living in the lab with 30 people who are very focused on school. You also will do every dissection - whereas those who don't do ISAC will do every other dissection (which, during the regular school year, is very much a blessing... there's nothing more frustrating than having other exams you are worried about and having to spend 2 hours a day scraping fat before 2 more hours of dissection). So if you get into bad habits of being lazy in those "off" weeks when the rest of the class is doing anatomy, you could be in trouble when they hit the next block and you've gotten used to a nice slow pace.

I don't think there was a single person who regretted doing ISAC this summer - even though some didn't realize it would mean a block of 8 weeks with practically no lecture during the fall, rather than having a little bit lighter load all semester (you'll still have OMM & Essentials of Clinical Medicine as well as a couple other minor things).

As far as Helix goes - it's not best price around and you need to realize that the train is 1 block away and quite loud all night... but that is supposed to stop in July so it may be better. Look at craigslist for apts (inland empire or los angeles sites - Pomona's kind of in between), and Western's banweb has a housing area - both for apts/house and for finding roommates. It's literally across the street from school - which is both a pro & a con... Depends on how much you enjoyed dorm life.

That half marathon sounds pretty cool. I did a full one a couple of years ago down in San Diego and vowed never to do that again (I couldn't walk for a week!) but a half sounds a bit more manageable.

Any runners interested in the Disneyland 1/2 Marathon on September 3rd, 2007?

Does anyone know when we get information for housing and when we should apply for on campus housing?

thanks

Does anyone know when we get information for housing and when we should apply for on campus housing?

thanks

thanks

As soon as you get access to banweb you can find housing info through there. I'd get in touch with Helix management now about housing if you want to go that route.

As soon as you get access to banweb you can find housing info through there. I'd get in touch with Helix management now about housing if you want to go that route.

And when will we get access to banweb?

I found this post in the COMP 2010 class forum. It was posted by a DO 2009 student. People asked the same questions we now ask:

When I interviewed (full disclosure, interviewed for 2010, deferred to 2011) I asked several about ISAC because I had taught cadaver based gross anatomy for a master's level PA program and was very interested...without exception it was endorsed strongly, though it has it's pros and cons...most common pro was spreading out the "info load" over more time, most common con was that it was hard tutoring or helping when you are barely scraping by yourself.

If I wasn't locked into a contract that takes me to 7/31/07 I would sign up for ISAC without a second's hesitation even though I am NW track and that would me more time away from my kids.

FWIW, Mike

And when will we get access to banweb?

I was able to when I got my email address...go to the main page and check under the resources for current students. Banweb seems to be better to find a WUHS roommate, if you want a cheap room on your own, use Craigslist I think.

That half marathon sounds pretty cool. I did a full one a couple of years ago down in San Diego and vowed never to do that again (I couldn't walk for a week!) but a half sounds a bit more manageable.

Hey if an old codger like me can do a half on Saturday then a full the next day you can you whippersnapper! I'll run next to you! A half is fun! Trust me! (hold on, my case worker is telling me to take these pills again...they taste bad, but the voices are better!)

--Mike

I was able to when I got my email address...go to the main page and check under the resources for current students. Banweb seems to be better to find a WUHS roommate, if you want a cheap room on your own, use Craigslist I think.

Yeah, your info for BanWeb access will first be in your WesternU email box, from Kimbereley de Kruif at the University Registrar.

The email should have your USER ID & then your temporary PIN. USER ID was assigned, PIN can be changed later.

Then like olderstudent doc said, go to the WesternU web page to check resources for current students. BanWeb portal access link is listed there.

As far as financial aid is concerned, the FAFSAs have to be in by March 2nd. I hear from the 2010 class that they did not get their financial aid award letters until late April or early May.

I am trying to educate myself on the different types of loans, their interest rates, & pay-back options. At $37K tuition & $58K first-year budget... is anyone else like me & feeling the anxiety of getting loans?

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated. I am very excited to start school with you all.

I am trying to educate myself on the different types of loans, their interest rates, & pay-back options. At $37K tuition & $58K first-year budget... is anyone else like me & feeling the anxiety of getting loans?

I had sticker shock for about the first 2 weeks after getting accepted, now I'm at peace with the fact that I'm gonna owe a ton of money when I get done. On the bright side, I was searching fastweb.com and it appears that Western has several scholarships and I'm going to apply for bunches of other scholarships. Now I'm crossing my fingers anything will help to lighten that debt load.

As far as financial aid is concerned, the FAFSAs have to be in by March 2nd. I hear from the 2010 class that they did not get their financial aid award letters until late April or early May.

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated. I am very excited to start school with you all.

Is there anything special we have to do to file for financial aid, or is it just like undergrad/grad? WOW....I better get on the ball is applications are due in two weeks! :scared:

I had sticker shock for about the first 2 weeks after getting accepted, now I'm at peace with the fact that I'm gonna owe a ton of money when I get done. On the bright side, I was searching fastweb.com and it appears that Western has several scholarships and I'm going to apply for bunches of other scholarships. Now I'm crossing my fingers anything will help to lighten that debt load.

Look at your local Osteopathic associations and rural health (if that is of interest) association for help too.

Is there anything special we have to do to file for financial aid, or is it just like undergrad/grad? WOW....I better get on the ball is applications are due in two weeks! :scared:

Get a PIN number from www.pin.ed.gov

The FAFSA is at www.fafsa.ed.gov

The Western University COMP federal code is 024827 (please verify for accuracy)

Yeah, your info for BanWeb access will first be in your WesternU email box, from Kimbereley de Kruif at the University Registrar.

The email should have your USER ID & then your temporary PIN. USER ID was assigned, PIN can be changed later.

Then like olderstudent doc said, go to the WesternU web page to check resources for current students. BanWeb portal access link is listed there.

Do you get your email account soon after you pay the 1st deposit? or do you have to wait until after you've paid the 2nd one? Just seems like everyone's getting a head start on the housing on this BanWeb I'm hearing about.

Do you get your email account soon after you pay the 1st deposit? or do you have to wait until after you've paid the 2nd one? Just seems like everyone's getting a head start on the housing on this BanWeb I'm hearing about.

got it as soon as i paid my 1st deposit.

Banweb: Is it me or does it seem unorganized? I can't seem to feel that it doesn't get updated enough. Esp the housing part. I don't know how to do a search of getting housing in August besides clicking through all the posts. Anyone have any ideas?

Fin aid: I'm confused about loans and interests and all that good stuff. I didn't take out any college loans and reading about it is a little confusing. Which are the best loans to take out? The federal or private loans?

oh, and no one still knows if i should claim on campus or off campus housing for the highest fin aid on fafsa?

Glad to see that this thread is still going. Congrats you guys.

Does anyone know if a letter id sent out for ISAC?

Thanks!

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to all of you!!!

About the question above, If you get 80%, you WILL be chosen as a facilitator and you WILL teach your classmates Gross Anatomy at 8am in lab. I didn't meet an ISACer who got over 80 and wasn't required to do that.

Banweb: Is it me or does it seem unorganized? I can't seem to feel that it doesn't get updated enough. Esp the housing part. I don't know how to do a search of getting housing in August besides clicking through all the posts. Anyone have any ideas?

Fin aid: I'm confused about loans and interests and all that good stuff. I didn't take out any college loans and reading about it is a little confusing. Which are the best loans to take out? The federal or private loans?

oh, and no one still knows if i should claim on campus or off campus housing for the highest fin aid on fafsa?

To me, banweb isn't much help at this juncture because the vast majority of the posts are for housing available right away. I agree that it's not a very user friendly site.

As far as financial aid goes, federal loans are almost always the best, both because of better interest rates & because they can sometimes be deferred. Also, there is techinically NO On-campus housing, so you should claim off-campus. The Helix is not University property, although I believe they are working to make it that down the road. Hope this helps! The whole thing is pretty confusing for me too, especially since I was on scholarship all four years of undergrad so I never had to do any of this!

I heard the area there is shady. It's near campus though. Would you folks agree that i'd be consider really unsafe to cross there during night to get to an apt? I found an apt in which i have to cross that area. Should I bring a car if I decide to live there?

I heard the area there is shady. It's near campus though. Would you folks agree that i'd be consider really unsafe to cross there during night to get to an apt? I found an apt in which i have to cross that area. Should I bring a car if I decide to live there?

I don't know about this area, maybe the helpful current COMP students can chime in?

For a car, its a necessary thing in Los Angeles since the city & suburbs are a big urban sprawl. For example you may want to drive to Diamond Bar or Covina to do your shopping. Or you can leave Pomona for a weekend of Las Vegas (after exams of course :)).

Gas is expensive, last time I filled up it was $2.65 a gallon of regular unleaded. Car insurance can be expensive for most of LA country too, but possibly cheaper if you live in San Bernadino County (the next county east of LA, Rancho Cucamonga, etc). If you have an out-of-state car registration do a cost comparision of your own state vs. LA county insurance rates.

I've read some of the WesternU security e-mails about vandalized cars that were parked on campus. Usually at night. Can happen to anyone's car.

For car safety, a car can get vandalized or broken into anywhere in LA. Even in the suburbs. I was at my uncle's house in a nice suburb neighborhood in Orange County & someone busted a brick through my window to take my cell phone ("duh, kealaq, don't leave cell phones in your car in plain view"). Lesson learned & also park your cars in the safest places possible...

Hey my good friend who will be going to Kirkville this fall said a couple of students started a Facebook designated for incoming students to get to know their future classmates and she said the school helped them out with it. I think it's a really cool idea... and it would definately help with connecting with students for housing, etc. Has anyone heard anything about this, or knows how to get one started let me know.

-eric

Hey my good friend who will be going to Kirkville this fall said a couple of students started a Facebook designated for incoming students to get to know their future classmates and she said the school helped them out with it. I think it's a really cool idea... and it would definately help with connecting with students for housing, etc. Has anyone heard anything about this, or knows how to get one started let me know.

-eric

www.facebook.com

Search for "COMP 2011"

Ok, so i called admission office and asked wat the status of my app was. And she said i should recieve something in the mail very soon. How does western send out interview notices??? has anyone recieved an interview invite via mail, or is is safe to assume its a rejection?

mine was straight email the whole way... but i did get something about the interview awhile later in the mail. they might do it differently in the spring... mine was wierd because I hadn't turned in the secondary yet... so there might still be hope, i dunno.