official CA POST BAC 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No news for me either :(. Applied close to the deadline for first time applicants. Haven't gotten any info from any of the UCs. Its getting really depressing :(.
Started looking for a job now....there really aren't that many jobs in the science field for bio sci undergrads unfortunately :(.
Hope I'm not SOL...

Here were my stats:
- First time applicant (UCI, UCSD, UCD, UCSF)
- Current UC (UCI) GPA: 3.08
- Have done research for 2 years (almost) with some papers coming out with my name on them. Got a UROP (research) grant and 'fellowship' and I'm giving a talk in about 2 weeks.
- Involved with a club from its inception (currently the president)
- founder of a pre-health council
- Resident Advisor for two years and have had numerous other leadership experiences
- did some volunteering for different causes (MS, orphanages, underprivileged schools etc)
- strong LOR (at least from what I know)

Good luck guys! I'll be stalking this thread for the next 2 weeks or so. If by the end of May I don't get an answer (any answer) I'm just gonna assume its a lost cause :(

On a side note, what kind of jobs are you guys looking at for applying?

Arg! Now i am really screwed. I also go to UCI and my CV isn't nearly as impressive.

Members don't see this ad.

Arg! Now i am really screwed. I also go to UCI and my CV isn't nearly as impressive.

I know 2 more people from UCI that are applying and they haven't gotten any answers yet either. They have some good ECs too.....its depressing. Shoot me an email...we'll form a UCI postbac team hahaha!

[email protected]

Don't be discouraged guys....Abraham Lincoln contested 15 elections and failed, but guess what he didn't do...he didn't give up.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone heard from UCLA post bac @ all (for reapplicants)?

Don't be discouraged guys....Abraham Lincoln contested 15 elections and failed, but guess what he didn't do...he didn't give up.

yea but i dont want to be 38 when i start med school lol

has anyone heard from UCLA post bac @ all (for reapplicants)?

I stopped by the UCLA post-bacc office and they said they're still in the process of reviewing applications, and that they're interviewing all throughout May. Should hear back from them in a couple of weeks, I'm guessing around June 1st like in the previous years?

yea but i dont want to be 38 when i start med school lol

dont worry. my friend who started at ohio state had a 45yo classmate.
and generally, i think the average age of students who matriculate is going up every year. :)

but man, i feel you. HAHA

I stopped by the UCLA post-bacc office and they said they're still in the process of reviewing applications, and that they're interviewing all throughout May. Should hear back from them in a couple of weeks, I'm guessing around June 1st like in the previous years?

I was told the same thing by UCSF. they will be interviewing this may and will hear back (GOOD or BAD) by June 1st. But, people have already received interviews before May. :(

How are u guys receiving these notifications? i haven't received ANY emails at all.

I was told the same thing by UCSF. they will be interviewing this may and will hear back (GOOD or BAD) by June 1st. But, people have already received interviews before May. :(

I just wanted to say, this site has really helped me keep it together. Comradery is a very powerful thing. I would like to thank all of you for updating our community on what you find. I cannot speak for everyone, but it really does help me sleep at night :) Thank you.

I like this post a lot. It really puts things in a positive light. Sometimes I feel robbed, but other days I just remind myself that our time is coming. That is what keeps me going; all the things we have done will be rewarded in the end. What is it that helps you guys to keep moving forward? Just curious ;)

I like this post a lot. It really puts things in a positive light. Sometimes I feel robbed, but other days I just remind myself that our time is coming. That is what keeps me going; all the things we have done will be rewarded in the end. What is it that helps you guys to keep moving forward? Just curious ;)

Hart024, I like your spirit, remember this, that Abraham Lincoln contested 15 elections, and lost 15 of them, but he eventually won, and we still call him one of the greatest presidents of the US. dont give up!

We have come this far (or so for most of us) knowing what we want.

Leaving regrets and insecurities at the door, taking responsibility from past setbacks and learning from it. Most importantly, keeping up the faith... that things will eventually fall into place!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was sitting in class and got bored so i started to draw. Someone wanted to start a club in the above posts so just drew a crest to symbolize our wait haha

The center has a giant hourglass with Roman style portcullises (means people have been waiting for formal med school since around this period). As the sand, words of what a doctor should be are written (ie. Hope, compassion, intelligence, etc)

Immediately behind the hourglass is the serpent staff symbol (i tried to fog it out for glass effect but it didnt come out in the scan >.<) Symbolizes what we are waiting for.

The book means education the banner reads "Nos Exspecto Lux Lucis" means (i think) "We wait for the light". Inscribed in the book is the illegible Modern version of the Hippocratic Oath

Candles symbolize the light is all around us no matter what happens :D

View attachment 14765

Wow, I'm jealous! Hahaha I could never do something like that :(

Was sitting in class and got bored so i started to draw. Someone wanted to start a club in the above posts so just drew a crest to symbolize our wait haha

The center has a giant hourglass with Roman style portcullises (means people have been waiting for formal med school since around this period). As the sand, words of what a doctor should be are written (ie. Hope, compassion, intelligence, etc)

Immediately behind the hourglass is the serpent staff symbol (i tried to fog it out for glass effect but it didnt come out in the scan >.<) Symbolizes what we are waiting for.

The book means education the banner reads "Nos Exspecto Lux Lucis" means (i think) "We wait for the light". Inscribed in the book is the illegible Modern version of the Hippocratic Oath

Candles symbolize the light is all around us no matter what happens :D

View attachment 14765

Wow! Someone needs to use some photoshop on that picture and make it the official California postbac applicant logo!

Alright guys. So I am a HUGE fan of UCD SOM so I just had to ask them when we would hear back; I just couldn't keep it in any longer ; )

Here is their response:

"Hi ____,
We are currently in the process of screening and interviewing applicants, which will continue through June. We will notify all applicants of their status by mid to late June. Thank you for your patience and your interest in our program.
Wishing you all the best!"

Pretty much the underlying message for today is H-O-P-E!

yeah, I applied on April 9th, and I haven't heard anything yet!

Also, I just looked over my application, and I found a typo. I repeated a word twice somewhere... how terrible is that?? :( Do you think they'd get rid of my app off the bat?

Hey everyone- I just skimmed through all of these posts, and I was amazed at how supportive everyone is! I just wanted to comment on that here... it just really brought up my day today. I hope I get into a program with chill & supportive people like you.

yeah, I applied on April 9th, and I haven't heard anything yet!

Also, I just looked over my application, and I found a typo. I repeated a word twice somewhere... how terrible is that?? :( Do you think they'd get rid of my app off the bat?

No way you are totally fine! Plus, you're not alone. I put withdrawal instead of withdraw. Quite silly :laugh: Nevertheless, sometimes the best thing to do is brush it off and look at the big picture. I'm sure they will too ;)
p.s. I applied April 5th and I've got nothing from the UC post bacc. A week after I submitted to MSP and DPMS at Drexel, I got an interview! In fact, it was a day after my app became complete. The world works in mysterious ways...

Hey everyone- I just skimmed through all of these posts, and I was amazed at how supportive everyone is! I just wanted to comment on that here... it just really brought up my day today. I hope I get into a program with chill & supportive people like you.
I agree; I love the communal vibe! I am happy you joined us :)

I just received an invite for UCSF this morning...good luck everyone! :D

ps. they called from an unknown #

Last edited:
@iheartcardio:

congrats on the invite! can you please tell us more about your application (ie date submitted and completed)? Also, if you don't mind, please tell us your GPA and some of your ECs. thanks.

I just received an invite for UCI this morning...good luck everyone! :D

ps. they called from an unknown #

congrats! nice to know people are still getting invites. maybe i'm being too hasty in applying for jobs :)

anyway, good luck with your interview! did you apply/interview with any other schools?

No way you are totally fine! Plus, you're not alone. I put withdrawal instead of withdraw. Quite silly :laugh: Nevertheless, sometimes the best thing to do is brush it off and look at the big picture. I'm sure they will too ;)
p.s. I applied April 5th and I've got nothing from the UC post bacc. A week after I submitted to MSP and DPMS at Drexel, I got an interview! In fact, it was a day after my app became complete. The world works in mysterious ways...

hey hart. did you submit an mcat or gre score for drexel?

Hey, I was just wondering on which program did you get anintetview? When is it? I am applying for DPMS. Haven't heard anything. Do they call or e-mail you?

Did you get an interview for MSP or DPMS?

Of Drexel's 3 graduate programs, DPMS and IMS would probably be your best bet for direct application into medical school whereas the DPMS program is a prep/stepping stone program to get into DPMS.

I just got accepted into the IMS program. They reply really quickly. I interviewed last tuesday and got in this morning. pretty good turnaround.

That's is quick.

Good luck in the IMS program, from what I've heard it's pretty damn intensive and cutthroat but if you can graduate at the top of your class with stellar grades, it's an enormous testimony to your academic capability. I hear the live broadcast is weird to get used to at first but that pans out pretty quickly and it's useful to be able to replay lectures when needed.

I am just applying, so I can't tell you first hand what it is like, I can only tell you what I have read. You take medical school classes with the Drexel M1 students. The lectures are simulcast with the med school and apparently you can still ask questions. The lectures are also video-cast on the internet for your studying pleasure. If you meet the 3.0 GPA and 27 mcat minimum, after the first semester, you are granted an interview with the medical school.

The take home message is that the curriculum consists of medical school classes. This is an opportunity to show that you can succeed in that environment, and gives medical schools an example of your ability.

When approximately was your application complete? I am applying for the same program, my application was complete last week and I am waiting for a reply!

The philly one took like a week and a half after my application was complete. It is pretty cut-throat, but you are graded on the med school curve, so you only compete with the med school and not other IMS students.

Grade/Stat clarification:

I have talked to the So-Cal UC post baccs and they explained to me what they are looking for as far as gpa: given you have strong ECs, LORs, are disadvantaged, and show a strong commitment to working with indigent. (if you are Latino/a or African America your Ecs do not necessarily have to prove your inclination to work in an indigent community because they assume you will want to work with people you can relate to aka your community. However, if caucasian or Asian the ECs generally should show you want to work with the indigent e.g. member of ethnic medical club or volunteering abroad)

They want people who they feel will excell in their program, and strong drive to fight through feelings of doubt. There needs to be As in the science classes: pre-reqs or upper division. However, they scrutinize periods in your academic record where you did not do well, whether its non science or science. So if your GPA is low but there are periods where you did do well in science classes your application will probably be looked at (again given everything else is there). They want a valid reason why your GPA was low when it was, what was going on in your head, your time allocations, why wasn't getting As your number one priority if you knew you wanted to be a doctor. They want proof and assurance this wont happen again. If you did not do well at all through your academic career you probably will not get looked at. If you were a non-science major and did not do well in the med school pre-reqs, but got As in everything else (those with high cum but low science gpa) they dont have assurance that you will do well in the program. They might consider your application, but its a long shot to be picked for a slot when over 400 people apply. Take home message: As in the sciences at least one of your undergraduate years.

any acceptance(s) yet?
im thinking, either those who got accepted don't visit sdn or uc's haven't offered admissions yet?

every day is... ____:scared::(:scared::(____.

Hey, I was just wondering on which program did you get anintetview? When is it? I am applying for DPMS. Haven't heard anything. Do they call or e-mail you?

I got an interview for MSP for 5/17. They call you to schedule the time. I called the following day to check on DPMS status and Dr. Walker said my app had been sent to the adcom so we will see. Still, I would take UC post bacc over those programs any day! UCD is my number 1 choice :D for medical school so I would like to stay here if at all possible. Plus, those programs are insanely expensive. Lastly, I talked to Stony Brook about my rejection and the woman there didn't seem to think this would be the best choice given my personal file.
I still need to do some more soul searching. Good luck to you and your future success!!! Let me know how everything pans out ;)

I got an interview for MSP for 5/17. They call you to schedule the time. I called the following day to check on DPMS status and Dr. Walker said my app had been sent to the adcom so we will see. Still, I would take UC post bacc over those programs any day! UCD is my number 1 choice :D for medical school so I would like to stay here if at all possible. Plus, those programs are insanely expensive. Lastly, I talked to Stony Brook about my rejection and the woman there didn't seem to think this would be the best choice given my personal file.
I still need to do some more soul searching. Good luck to you and your future success!!! Let me know how everything pans out ;)

I will keep you posted. I know its extremely expensive program. I hope it worth it... For me it is very convenient since the school is just 20 min from my home. And at this time I can not move anywhere... So I wish you good luck, and I hope you get to UC program!

Still getting the silent treatment, enrolling at my local community college as a backup!

I got an interview for MSP for 5/17. They call you to schedule the time. I called the following day to check on DPMS status and Dr. Walker said my app had been sent to the adcom so we will see. Still, I would take UC post bacc over those programs any day! UCD is my number 1 choice :D for medical school so I would like to stay here if at all possible.

You would turn down the conditional acceptance to Drexel med through the DPMS program just to go to Davis post bacc?

Still getting the silent treatment, enrolling at my local community college as a backup!

Yup. I really wish they just let us know as they see our app so we can know if we got rejected right off the bat

As someone who interviewed at UCD and UCSF. I would love if someone could tell me if they got in or not, as the time is coming near, so I do not have to be all paranoid. For those that are still waiting for an interview the interviews are NOT stressful. Way easier than an actual medical school interview. UCD is a group of three with a panel of three. UCSF is two panel at the same time. Anyone hear from UCLA?

rejected from uci today..not bummed tho..it was my last choice. hope to hear good things from other schools soon...

also bad news from UCI :( Sounds like UCI sent their emails out today.

rejected from uci today..not bummed tho..it was my last choice. hope to hear good things from other schools soon...

I did not get an email from them...

Can you tell me what email address they sent it from?

I might have deleted it on accident, so I want to check my deleted folder (I get lots of email so yeah.)

I did not get an email from them...

Can you tell me what email address they sent it from?

I might have deleted it on accident, so I want to check my deleted folder (I get lots of email so yeah.)

I also think I screwed up.

Because for my log in user name email is different from the one I placed in my application...

I have been juggling through both emails trying to figure out which email they will email me at.

did not get called to UCI either, I haven't lost faith though.

I was officially deemed as unfit for UCI Post-Bacc, its ok. Good by UC's and hello to Community College!!!