official CA POST BAC 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reapplicant
Submitted March 29th, completed April 5th
Graduating from CSUSM 2010 Psychology Major, Chemistry Minor
GPA: 3.86 (this may actually work against me)
EC's: Research in Chemistry Lab (Solo Project), Assisted Living Home, Hospital (Surgery) for 2 Years, LGBTQA Club Member, Poet for School Newspaper
More Recently: Tutoring for disadvantaged high school students (training)
Paid Positions: Student Teaching (2 years; 3 classes: physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry II), TA (general chemistry), Tutor (10+ students), many others (worked throughout college as well)
Socioeconomically Disadvantaged
LOR: Physics Professor, Chemistry Professor, BSN, RN
Goal: Primary Care Physician (Rural Prime Program would be ideal)

I hope we get in. Reapplying is going to be harsh and I need a lot of assistance this round. Either way, I am proud of everyone and look forward to our future success! We may be classmates one day : )
p.s. I really enjoy this thread; it has been very informative. Thank you to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reapplicant
Submitted March 29th, completed April 5th
Graduating from CSUSM 2010 Psychology Major, Chemistry Minor
GPA: 3.86 (this may actually work against me)
EC's: Research in Chemistry Lab (Solo Project), Assisted Living Home, Hospital (Surgery) for 2 Years, LGBTQA Club Member, Poet for School Newspaper
More Recently: Tutoring for disadvantaged high school students (training)
Paid Positions: Student Teaching (2 years; 3 classes: physics, general chemistry, organic chemistry II), TA (general chemistry), Tutor (10+ students), many others (worked throughout college as well)
Socioeconomically Disadvantaged
LOR: Physics Professor, Chemistry Professor, BSN, RN
Goal: Primary Care Physician (Rural Prime Program would be ideal)

I hope we get in. Reapplying is going to be harsh and I need a lot of assistance this round. Either way, I am proud of everyone and look forward to our future success! We may be classmates one day : )
p.s. I really enjoy this thread; it has been very informative. Thank you to all.

I'm curious to know why you're interested in the post-bac programs. It seems like you would be successful in applying to and matriculating in medical school in general.

@hart024: I would have to agree with Steph1NeeNee. Since you are a re-applicant, I assume you've applied to medical school. With a 3.86 GPA and your ECs, it seems like you would do well in a med school application pool. How'd you do on the MCAT? Maybe this is the reason why you're not having luck with med school apps? If so, I'd rather spend tons and tons of time studying for the MCAT rather than taking other UD classes at UCs just to improve your already wonderful GPA (plus another ~20K of loans).
What about your LOR? personal statement?

If I were you, I'd rather spend more time trying to improve my MCAT, add more ECs, get stronger LORs, or prepare for interviews. just my two cents.

Have you thought about doing an SMP as an alternative rather than a postbac program?

Members don't see this ad :)
first time applicant
GPA is the same as the person before me (This may also be my downfall :( )
Application was completed Early March
Four leadership team positions (In clinical setting, 1700+ hours, 4 years)
leadership team award
Officer of a club (2 years)
Research (a little over two years)
Research overseas for minority students (Got published + presented)
Been working 8-40 hours a week since 16 (1-2 jobs)
Shadows doctor
mentor/tutor disadvantage kids

heard nothing :(

first time applicant
GPA is the same as the person before me (This may also be my downfall :( )
Application was completed Early March
Four leadership team positions (In clinical setting, 1700+ hours, 4 years)
leadership team award
Officer of a club (2 years)
Research (a little over two years)
Research overseas for minority students (Got published + presented)
Been working 8-40 hours a week since 16 (1-2 jobs)
Shadows doctor
mentor/tutor disadvantage kids

heard nothing :(

GPA referring to Brody 5. not ~3.8
Hoping good LORs? couldn't read em because of signed waiver :(

@hart024: I would have to agree with Steph1NeeNee. Since you are a re-applicant, I assume you've applied to medical school. With a 3.86 GPA and your ECs, it seems like you would do well in a med school application pool. How'd you do on the MCAT? Maybe this is the reason why you're not having luck with med school apps? If so, I'd rather spend tons and tons of time studying for the MCAT rather than taking other UD classes at UCs just to improve your already wonderful GPA (plus another ~20K of loans).
What about your LOR? personal statement?

If I were you, I'd rather spend more time trying to improve my MCAT, add more ECs, get stronger LORs, or prepare for interviews. just my two cents.

Have you thought about doing an SMP as an alternative rather than a postbac program?

Yes, I applied and as you guessed, my MCAT was average. My timing is awful. I couldn't finish the test (bubbled in 10-12 in physical, 8-10 in biology and 4-6 in verbal) sadly. I know with practice, I can get it down, but I would rather train in a fairly stress free environment (post bacc pays for the prep and housing). I am tired of working so much to pay my bills. Moreover, I would like to get away from the stresses of my family (e.g. drug abuse of family members) while I study for the exam again. I feel like that did not help my chances of succeeding.
Plus, I will be receiving a BA in psychology. Hence, I have not taken many UD science courses. The post bacc will provide me with an opportunity to do this.
Lastly, I am drawn to this program because it emphasizes working in medically underserved areas. This is my passion, but a friend at UCD COM told me that I would not get in to UCD’s Rural Prime Program because I did not grow up in a rural area. My hope is that this program will provide me with an opportunity to explore this area of medicine thereby increasing my suitability for rural med programs.

I have thought about a SMP, but I feel as if it is too late to apply. Do you agree or disagree? I was optimistic about my med application so I didn't really start researching these programs until last month. I am working on my DPMS application (a conditional acceptance program). Although, statistically speaking, the UC post bacc's seem to be my best shot at getting in to medical school.

Personal Statement: I shared my personal experience with medicine. I was involved in an accident when I was five years old and had to have reconstructive surgery then and a second time at age 13. I sent it out to doctors and medical students and received great reviews. I do not think this was the reason for my rejection.
LOR's: I waived my rights to view them. Nevertheless, I worked with my letter writers throughout college so I am sure they are good. One professor said he wrote an "amazing" letter. Hence, I trust they did their best.

I called FIU COM to get feedback on my application following rejection and the woman there informed me that my MCAT was too low and my EC's were not sufficiently communal based. Hence, I definitely see your point. Thank you so very much for all your advice; I certainly take it to heart. If anyone has advice as well, please feel free to comment on my post.

Yes, I applied and as you guessed, my MCAT was average. My timing is awful. I couldn't finish the test (bubbled in 10-12 in physical, 8-10 in biology and 4-6 in verbal) sadly. I know with practice, I can get it down, but I would rather train in a fairly stress free environment (post bacc pays for the prep and housing). I am tired of working so much to pay my bills. Moreover, I would like to get away from the stresses of my family (e.g. drug abuse of family members) while I study for the exam again. I feel like that did not help my chances of succeeding.
Plus, I will be receiving a BA in psychology. Hence, I have not taken many UD science courses. The post bacc will provide me with an opportunity to do this.
Lastly, I am drawn to this program because it emphasizes working in medically underserved areas. This is my passion, but a friend at UCD COM told me that I would not get in to UCD’s Rural Prime Program because I did not grow up in a rural area. My hope is that this program will provide me with an opportunity to explore this area of medicine thereby increasing my suitability for rural med programs.

I have thought about a SMP, but I feel as if it is too late to apply. Do you agree or disagree? I was optimistic about my med application so I didn't really start researching these programs until last month. I am working on my DPMS application (a conditional acceptance program). Although, statistically speaking, the UC post bacc's seem to be my best shot at getting in to medical school.

Personal Statement: I shared my personal experience with medicine. I was involved in an accident when I was five years old and had to have reconstructive surgery then and a second time at age 13. I sent it out to doctors and medical students and received great reviews. I do not think this was the reason for my rejection.

LOR's: I waived my rights to view them. Nevertheless, I worked with my letter writers throughout college so I am sure they are good. One professor said he wrote an "amazing" letter. Hence, I trust they did their best.

I called FIU COM to get feedback on my application following rejection and the woman there informed me that my MCAT was too low and my EC's were not sufficiently communal based. Hence, I definitely see your point. Thank you so very much for all your advice; I certainly take it to heart. If anyone has advice as well, please feel free to comment on my post.

Hart24, the postbac programs do provide an opportunity to study the mcat, but they are for more than that. Improving the GPA is one of the main goals of the program, and since there is little improvement that you can make, then it might be to your disadvantage to have such a high GPA.
My question for you is, is the 3.86gpa your overall GPA or your science GPA? There's usually a difference, and I'm sure the committees will give more consideration to your sGPA. If it's lower, then you might still have some hold on the program.

=======================================================

It appears that you want to get into a postbac program to take more UD science courses, to better prepare for the MCAT, and to get more exposure to underserved communities.

Yes, these are great reasons why someone should even consider applying to UC postbac programs. But, in your situation, I think there is definitely a good alternative. If I were in your situation, I'd vote against doing a postbac program. Remember, these programs will NOT pay the whole ~20k tuition for the academic year; like you mentioned, only the summer MCAT program + housing is paid for. If you decide to take out loans anyway, you might want to take out some loans: to pay for a couple months of housing (so you can live outside your parents house for a couple months), to pay for an MCAT prep course, and to volunteer in medically underserved areas abroad. If you do this route, you'd be better prepared for the MCAT and you'd have more chance to volunteer in underserved communities. I don't think working and becoming involved with many volunteer programs is actually stressed or even adviced by the postbac programs since their main focus is to really help students, who come from disadvantaged area, improve their GPA while learning about underserved communities.

Since you've applied to med school, I'm sure you've taken all of the science prereqs, which is definitely enough for med school. I'm sure your sGPA is nothing below 3.6, which Steph1NeeNee had asked. I'd advice against taking more science courses unless you have other reasons why you would want to take science courses (ie. better prepare for med classes).

[I am not part of the admin committee nor do I have direct experience as a postbac student, so probably someone with more experience can provide you with better advice.]

First-time applicant
Complete April 13
Graduated from a UC
3.1 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA
EC: tons of research (publication), various leadership positions, volunteered abroad, part of school org that helped underserved areas.
Disadvantaged
Unique personal statement (read by a couple of people)
Strong LORs

If I don't hear by the end of this week, it's a good assumption to think that they've tossed away my apps... :oops:

I also applied to the postbacc program and have not hurd from them yet. I am a first time applicant and my application was complete on April 2nd. Does any one know when schools stop interviewing?

I also applied to the postbacc program and have not hurd from them yet. I am a first time applicant and my application was complete on April 2nd. Does any one know when schools stop interviewing?

They already started

Do you have a letter of recommendation from some kind of community service that you are involved in ?
I believe some of the UC program requires you to submit a community service based letter of recommendation.. I believe it helped me get an interview last year and lend support to my desire to serve the underserved community.
Just my 2 cents

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a letter of recommendation from some kind of community service that you are involved in ?
I believe some of the UC program requires you to submit a community service based letter of recommendation.. I believe it helped me get an interview last year and lend support to my desire to serve the underserved community.
Just my 2 cents

Gl0baltrader, when you heard from the schools last year, do you remember how long after your application was submitted when you heard? Or approximately when you heard (ie. late April, etc)

Also, which schools interviewed you? Were you accepted?

Gl0baltrader, when you heard from the schools last year, do you remember how long after your application was submitted when you heard? Or approximately when you heard (ie. late April, etc)

I submitted my apps rather late, maybe mid to late April (BTW: I'm a reap).
Had my interview mid to late May.
Had my decision a week later.

Also, which schools interviewed you? Were you accepted?
I did not hear much from the UC post bac, I only got into one of them (my top choice) and am currently attending.

PM me if you have more question

hi, I've been on this board for awhile but I have never posted. I thought I'd share my stats/info.

GPA: BCPM: 3.15, Overall: 3.32 (all science coursework taken at U.C. Berkeley)
App Completed on March 23, 2010
Disadvantaged status: low income family, worked all through high school, attended community college and eventually enrolled at UCB as a transfer student, immigrant parents, first gen college student, but I am not hispanic or african-american. I am an iraqi-christian. My parents left iraq to escape the muslim regime.
EC: no research but volunteering based on urban public health issues, got my degree in economics, so I worked in securities law/admin for a year before applying to this program

I haven't heard anything from any school yet. My first choice is UCSD. I spoke with Saundra Kirk yesterday and she informed me that they have received over 400 applications for roughly 8-10 spots. I'm not too optimistic at this point, but she did tell me that applications are NOT reviewed by order of completion. She said they are reviewed based on credentials and letters, etc. I'm guessing that means that they first sort them by quality and offer interviews as they go. She said they are not even close to finishing reviewing applications, and she had an interviewee waiting as she spoke to me. She said every school is overwhelmed and busy at the moment. I felt bad keeping her on the phone, so I let her go even though I had a ton more questions for her.

hi, I've been on this board for awhile but I have never posted. I thought I'd share my stats/info.

Disadvantaged status: low income family, worked all through high school, attended community college and eventually enrolled at UCB as a transfer student, immigrant parents, first gen college student, but I am not hispanic or african-american. I am an iraqi-christian. My parents left iraq to escape the muslim regime.
EC: no research but volunteering based on urban public health issues, got my degree in economics, so I worked in securities law/admin for a year before applying to this program

I haven't heard anything from any school yet. My first choice is UCSD. I spoke with Saundra Kirk yesterday and she informed me that they have received over 400 applications for roughly 8-10 spots. I'm not too optimistic at this point, but she did tell me that applications are NOT reviewed by order of completion. She said they are reviewed based on credentials and letters, etc. I'm guessing that means that they first sort them by quality and offer interviews as they go. She said they are not even close to finishing reviewing applications, and she had an interviewee waiting as she spoke to me. She said every school is overwhelmed and busy at the moment. I felt bad keeping her on the phone, so I let her go even though I had a ton more questions for her.

Ahh thank you.

I don't know why they said rolling basis then....

I could have spent more time on it...

-________-

Thanks. That clears up a lot of the questions I had regarding the order apps are reviewed in. It gives me more hope haha! Thanks sooo much!

Thanks. That clears up a lot of the questions I had regarding the order apps are reviewed in. It gives me more hope haha! Thanks sooo much!

you're welcome. I'm sure everyone is as anxious as I am, so I'm happy to offer any information I have :)

So this is a reasonable question.

Considering there are few spots available and so many applying.

I am particular interested in first applicants...

But what are you guys planning to do if you do not get into the UC postbac programs?

Any back up plans?

OH gosh I hope we all get in ;(

=======================================================

It appears that you want to get into a postbac program to take more UD science courses, to better prepare for the MCAT, and to get more exposure to underserved communities.

Yes, these are great reasons why someone should even consider applying to UC postbac programs. But, in your situation, I think there is definitely a good alternative. If I were in your situation, I'd vote against doing a postbac program. Remember, these programs will NOT pay the whole ~20k tuition for the academic year; like you mentioned, only the summer MCAT program + housing is paid for. If you decide to take out loans anyway, you might want to take out some loans: to pay for a couple months of housing (so you can live outside your parents house for a couple months), to pay for an MCAT prep course, and to volunteer in medically underserved areas abroad. If you do this route, you'd be better prepared for the MCAT and you'd have more chance to volunteer in underserved communities. I don't think working and becoming involved with many volunteer programs is actually stressed or even adviced by the postbac programs since their main focus is to really help students, who come from disadvantaged area, improve their GPA while learning about underserved communities.

Since you've applied to med school, I'm sure you've taken all of the science prereqs, which is definitely enough for med school. I'm sure your sGPA is nothing below 3.6, which Steph1NeeNee had asked. I'd advice against taking more science courses unless you have other reasons why you would want to take science courses (ie. better prepare for med classes).

[I am not part of the admin committee nor do I have direct experience as a postbac student, so probably someone with more experience can provide you with better advice.]

Yes. Sadly, my SGPA is 3.8. This is the only time that I have felt like my GPA is working against me. I agree with your assumption: I believe the post bacc will better prepare me for the rigorous (science) workload acquired in med school. Hence, I would like to take more UD science courses. I have only take BioChem I and II, and Biology of Nutrition & Disease. I have not taken Anatomy, Pharmacology, Genetics, etc. I believe that not having previewed these courses prior to matriculation would place me at a disadvantage upon arrival to med school.
Plus, I miss research terribly. By continuing my education through the post bacc program, I am sure I could find a new mentor to work with. Perhaps I can succeed in getting published? Just an idea.

Like others who have posted here, I am concerned about what to do if I do not get in. Thank you for the suggestions, I will keep them in mind. Just a little concerned about the loan repayments that start in 6 months if I do not come up with an alternative plan. In a perfect world, I would be able to spend my days slaving over MCAT practice, but not with creditors hovering in the background. Moreover, I will not be eligible for student loans after graduating (May 15, 2010). I worked really hard to get those grades...sometimes I just want to throw up my hands, let out a sigh and ask myself… "why?" I guess I can try working on a social life with my down time :( If you have ideas for jobs (given that I will have a BA in psychology and a minor in chemistry in a few weeks) I would greatly appreciate some suggestions. Thank you so very much :) for investing time in your responses and for all your excellent advice.

Just my 2 cents

I included a LOR from an RN I volunteer with at the hospital. Escondido is a culturally diverse area that caters to the needs of many disadvantaged individuals. I am not sure if she addressed this point in her letter, but I am sure I included that detail on my application. Does that help? Thank you for your response. Resolutions are best reached with the help of one’s peers.

was it a positive response from Davis? does it mean, 1 less spot for us? :(

Who got a response from UCD?

I'm glad that everyone is posting the information that they got from contacting the schools, it's giving us all hope! I wonder what separates the people who have already received interviews from the rest of us...

Who got a response from UCD?

I'm glad that everyone is posting the information that they got from contacting the schools, it's giving us all hope! I wonder what separates the people who have already received interviews from the rest of us...

he just got an interview next week I think.

But what are you guys planning to do if you do not get into the UC postbac programs?

Any back up plans?

You can either do a non-formal post-bac program for one year or do an SMP, assuming that you have taken the MCAT.

Any back up plans?

If I don't get in...
... I might need to find a job that will finance Extension (Science) courses either in UCLA or UCBerkeley... while studying for the MCAT. Will take at least 1 humanities course at a Community College.

I read somewhere and was told that upper division undergraduate coursework are highly recommended by MedSchool AdComs than masters level science courses since the grades are often inflated on the latter.

I will be submitting other postbac programs (SMPs) that accepts a huge cohort i.e. Virginia Commonwealth University (~70), Boston U (~100?). Please correct me if the numbers are incorrect. I would hope that financial aid would cover majority of expenses for SMPs.

If I don't get in...

I will get an internship position at the White House to learn more about the new healthcare system and how to better integrate the needs of the bums that hang around the city of Los Angeles, in terms of access to medicare, into the new system.

Other than that, I'll spend more time questioning myself why the heck I want to be a doctor.

If I don't get in...

I will get an internship position at the White House to learn more about the new healthcare system and how to better integrate the needs of the bums that hang around the city of Los Angeles, in terms of access to medicare, into the new system.

Other than that, I'll spend more time questioning myself why the heck I want to be a doctor.

I vote this as Best Answer :thumbup::thumbup:

haha. lol. thanks guys.

any updates? I haven't heard a single word from any of the programs and I've been checking my email like a neurotic nerd really excited about going to school :).

Hope everyone's getting the same silent treatment from the programs. hehe.

12 more hours and I give up on checking my e-mails. I'll only be checking them 2x a week starting tomorrow.

haha. lol. thanks guys.

any updates? I haven't heard a single word from any of the programs and I've been checking my email like a neurotic nerd really excited about going to school :).

Hope everyone's getting the same silent treatment from the programs. hehe.

12 more hours and I give up on checking my e-mails. I'll only be checking them 2x a week starting tomorrow.

Well, someone mentioned earlier that at least one of the schools isn't officially notifying people until May 1st. So don't worry so much right now.

Question: what is everyone's first choice school and why?

Sorry, I forgot to pust my top 2 schools. Davis and SF, even though I'm from SD. haha.

There's so much out there to see, why stay in the same city, you know?

Davis is a nice calm town, very little distraction, like IFG said. SF is the opposite but they are the #3 medical school in the country and I know it would be good to be in that atmosphere, even though the classes are at SFSU.

My top two:
1. UCD:Eventually, I want to get into their Rural Prime MD Program.
2. UCLA: 100% success rates in the past 3 years. Plus, I grew up in LA :)
One of my good friends attends UCD COM and raves about it. Another attends UCI COM and complains daily. This has swayed my personal opinions somewhat...

I have an interview next week at UCSF. I'm pretty nervous about it, I just hope it results in a postive outcome. Does anyone else have an interview at UCSF?

Here's what UCI told me...

Dear Stephanie:

We are currently reviewing applications and the interview process has begun. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified by email. Interviews will continue through the month of May.

Regards,

UC Irvine School of Medicine
Office of Admissions & Outreach

I have an interview next week at UCSF. I'm pretty nervous about it, I just hope it results in a postive outcome. Does anyone else have an interview at UCSF?

Hi elock,

Can you give us a time frame when you submitted your application and when was it marked complete? Thanks, and GOODLUCK on your interview next week!

Congratulations! Walk in there with confidence for you made it this far, nothing can stop you now ;)

Anyone know when we are suppose to get confirmation from each campus and potential phone interviews?

@Santose: If you applied via the Postbacc Consortium Application, wait until your application says "complete". This serves as a confirmation to your online application. Per your question regarding the phone interview, if you've been offered be patient to get your phone interview confirmation. If you haven't been offered, you're in the same boat with most of us on here :)xf:'ing our fingers for any type of interview invite). The programs first offer you an in-person interview with phone interview as an option. Good luck!

I understand that there's a disadvantage to interviewing over the phone, but do they consider circumstances of individuals that might not be able to travel far for interviews? Meaning, does it seriously adversely affect your application if you choose to interview over the phone?

Has anyone heard from UCLA? UCD and UCSF seem to be faster on the draw.

Hey Jamrock, congrats on getting an interview, when is your interview date

I understand that there's a disadvantage to interviewing over the phone, but do they consider circumstances of individuals that might not be able to travel far for interviews? Meaning, does it seriously adversely affect your application if you choose to interview over the phone?

I don't think phone interviews are disadvantageous, but to correct your assumption, i don't think there is an circumstance why one should not be able to travel far for an interview, we only think of it now because we have the option of phone. Good luck, and I hope you get an interview soon.

Has anyone been interviewed yet?, and willing to share his/her experience?

Hi, could someone please give feedback on their interviews (ie. what questions were asked, what the environment was like, etc..) I read on another thread that the interviews were very specific, and even harder than med school interviews, but I'm not sure if that's for out-of-state schools or UCs in particular..

I don't think phone interviews are disadvantageous, but to correct your assumption, i don't think there is an circumstance why one should not be able to travel far for an interview, we only think of it now because we have the option of phone. Good luck, and I hope you get an interview soon.

There are plenty of reasons why someone wouldn't be able to travel to a school for an interview (ie. they're out of the state, don't have a car/license, etc.). Just thought you should know...