official CA POST BAC 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope haven't heard anything. Does anyone know about when people started hearing from schools last year? Did everyone hear after the deadlines passed or were people beginning to be notified prior to the deadlines?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone hear from anywhere yet? I'm still waiting for my application to be complete. Good luck everyone!

Nope haven't heard anything. Does anyone know about when people started hearing from schools last year? Did everyone hear after the deadlines passed or were people beginning to be notified prior to the deadlines?

I have been trying to contact the UC Davis Consortium office for the past week and no one have answered the phone.

I want to know if they received my transcript and LORs. I will be sending my online application this week, so I really need to know if all of my other documentats have arrived.

Any other way to check my application status (LORs and transcript)? I've already sent an e-mail too! I really wish someone picks up the phone next week.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been trying to contact the UC Davis Consortium office for the past week and no one have answered the phone.

I want to know if they received my transcript and LORs. I will be sending my online application this week, so I really need to know if all of my other documentats have arrived.

Any other way to check my application status (LORs and transcript)? I've already sent an e-mail too! I really wish someone picks up the phone next week.

Thanks in advance!

I had the same advice, and what they told me was documents take about a 1 week to get processed. So wait a week and then submit it.

Also, my friend got an interview already. so they have sent it out. :( (I did not get an interview)

Got an interview for Davis for later this month yesterday, applied to all but Riverside (02/20) after my last MD interview.

hey everyone, does anyone here know how long does the program last? It is like a year or so? If it is a year, will there be a year gap for people who finished the program?

Got an interview for Davis for later this month yesterday, applied to all but Riverside (02/20) after my last MD interview.

Hey D Duck, When was your application completed if you do not mind me asking?

hey everyone, does anyone here know how long does the program last? It is like a year or so? If it is a year, will there be a year gap for people who finished the program?

The programs begin in mid June and extend to the following June I believe. If you're asking about whether program participants take a year-long break after the program to apply to medical schools, I think it depends on how you did on the MCAT after the summer portion of the program is over. If you do well, you can apply to medical school while you're in the program. I read that this tends not to be the case, because since you want to make yourself as competitive as possible, they suggest you wait and improve your GPA before you apply. And if you don't do so well on the MCAT right after the summer, you take a "glide year"...I'm not really sure why they gave it that fun-like name since there's nothing fun about applying to medical school or waiting to hear a school's decision.

I'm SOOOOO anxious to hear from the schools for interviewing. How did you guys hear? Email? Phone call? Snail mail? I went to completed status on the 29th I think, so about how long after your completion of the application did you guys get some type of response?

My application was done early March. Not super high MCAT or sGPA, but VERY strong everything else. Hope that helps.

My application was done early March. Not super high MCAT or sGPA, but VERY strong everything else. Hope that helps.

Hey Dr. Duck,
How did they notify you of the interview? Phone, email, regular mail? Did you hear from other schools, or just Davis? What's your #1 choice?

They call first. UCSF also called. What is the deal, who else is getting invites, starting to feel paranoid. HAHA.

Hey Guys,

My status just switched to complete . . . lets hopefully get some interviews now!

Yay! It's Friday night and I feel like a productive NERD. Finishing up my apps and drinking a reallly delish sangria. Can't get any better...until acceptance to the program, that is. Good luck to us!

Members don't see this ad :)
HAHAHA Postbacc2010, hilarious.
Has anyone else heard from schools besides Dr Duck? My friend told me that her friends from hs applied and have begun interviewing. They're pre-pharm but of course, that's not on their applications. Crap, that sucks. I'm hoping that this week we all start to hear something!

:)HIIIII , I also submitted my application early Feb but it got completed by early march :)... I hope all of us will get into this program ...

I started filling out the application in January, but then I got really lazy and forgot all about it. Is it too late to submit it?

I started filling out the application in January, but then I got really lazy and forgot all about it. Is it too late to submit it?

Are you a first time or re-applicant?

If you are First time applicant, Deadline was april 9th for UCSF/UCSD, but you can still apply to UCD(May 15th) and UCI (April 15th).

If you are reapplicant you can pretty much apply to all the schools:)

Are you a first time or re-applicant?

If you are First time applicant, Deadline was april 9th for UCSF/UCSD, but you can still apply to UCD(May 15th) and UCI (April 15th).

If you are reapplicant you can pretty much apply to all the schools:)

Re-applicant.

So there is no disadvantage to applying this late?

Thanks

Well, they're all rolling admission so first come first serve. However, on last year's forum, someone mentioned that they weren't interviewed until the week before the start of the program, and they got in. It's safe to assume he applied late since applications are reviewed in the order they're received (I'm assuming). I'm sure this doesn't happen often, but it's worth a try. The worst that can happen is them saying no, the best is that you get in! Try it....competition...lol, jk

Re-applicant.

So there is no disadvantage to applying this late?

Thanks

Well as someone mentioned, the application is reviewed on a rolling basis, the earlier you apply the better your likelihood in securing an "interview" spot. But since you are re-apps, you shouldnt worry too much because april is still considred early in the apps in the . I applied in late april / early may last year and was still able to secure an interview spot

I been complete since late january..still nothing :( I hope I get an interview soon!! I hope we all do! Good Luck everyone and lets keep each other updated. :)

anyone know how many applicants they interview? for those who already have interviews (congrats!), obviously you've survived the first cut, but does anyone have an idea of what your chances are like if you actually get an interview (assuming it goes well, of course)?

and is it considered an advantage if you are granted an interview sooner rather than later?

dying for some news here... :eek:

anyone know how many applicants they interview? for those who already have interviews (congrats!), obviously you've survived the first cut, but does anyone have an idea of what your chances are like if you actually get an interview (assuming it goes well, of course)?

and is it considered an advantage if you are granted an interview sooner rather than later?

dying for some news here... :eek:

I am having that same news...:(

But it is rolling basis for most schools. I know UC davis, SF, and UCI are rolling basis, so they already looked at applicants. :( :( :(

I am having that same news...:(

But it is rolling basis for most schools. I know UC davis, SF, and UCI are rolling basis, so they already looked at applicants. :( :( :(

UCD,UCSF,UCI are on a rolling basis. Don't get discouraged though because people who applied late still got into a UC postbac program.

As for how many get interviews, from what i've heard, roughly about 50 get interviewed on each campus for the 10-15 spots for UC postbac.

My friend called UCI to ask about her application and the lady was nice. She told her not to worry, they're still reviewing applications. She said they get over 1000 applications a year for their 15ish spots. How they initially weed people out is as follows:
1. GPA
2. extracurriculars (she specifically mentioned research)
3. I think the other factor was they look at the professors you've done research with, but I'm not sure.
Hopefully we all start to hear from the programs this week or next week.
This kid at my school got interviews with UCD and UCSF! He sent in his application after me and my friend, so I'm not exactly how first come first serve the interviewing process is.

My friend called UCI to ask about her application and the lady was nice. She told her not to worry, they're still reviewing applications. She said they get over 1000 applications a year for their 15ish spots. How they initially weed people out is as follows:
1. GPA
3. I think the other factor was they look at the professors you've done research with, but I'm not sure.
This kid at my school got interviews with UCD and UCSF! He sent in his application after me and my friend, so I'm not exactly how first come first serve the interviewing process is.

I'm just curious to know if extracurricular research was a positive or negative. Any additional info would be much appreciated! I am also awaiting my fate with admissions.

Research is always a plus. Always. It's up there with volunteering in the medical field, but possibly better because you're working to solve a general problem. Extra pluses if you worked independently, etc. From my experience applying for different internships, programs, etc. medical field experience and research are often asked for/about during interviews. Some programs accept either research experience or med field experience (ie. they don't require both but if you have it, their interest is peaked). Don't worry though, because a lot of people that I know have either or, not usually a substantial amount of both- they like long-term commitments.

1. GPA

That's strange. I called and they told me they are taking 8-10 because of budget cuts. and when I called (a week ago) they had 270 applicants and she said more was coming in everyday.

@postbac87: From what I've heard, the same can also be said for UCSD last year. They only accepted about 8-10 students due to funding. I'm guessing they'll most likely accept the same number of students this year.

These programs are definitely NOT easy to get into as they also are looking at students with 3.4-3.6 GPAs (guesstimate) plus wonderful ECs. If you've made commitment to serving the underserved communities, which they highly focus on the application, you've given yourself a head start over those students who haven't. just my two cents.

I wish they would accept more than 15 people .. im still waiting every day i check my e-mail for 100 times .... :(:(:(:(....lets :xf:our fingers for now hope all of us will get in

Yeah, I always check my phone for unknown numbers! My friend also said that UCI said they interview ~50 people for those 8-10 spots.. geezzzz

Anyone hear yet? I'm getting sooooo nervous!!

Hey Guys,

I just got an interview for UCSF! Very excited!!!

@jamrock: wow! that's exciting news! when did you submit your apps and when were you completed? also, are you a first time applicant?

Submitted the application in early march but was not complete until a few weeks ago. I'm a reapplicant.

I am getting so worried :( i am not a reapplicant .. is there anyone who is a first time applicant and received an interview from schools ?!

I am getting so worried :( i am not a reapplicant .. is there anyone who is a first time applicant and received an interview from schools ?!

My friend is a first time appllicant and he heard from uc davis already

My friend is a first time appllicant and he heard from uc davis already

The guy I mentioned before heard from UCD, UCSF, and UCSD all in this past week. He submitted his app in late March/ early April. He's a first time applicant too. He's got a 3.4 gpa, research, first time college student, etc.

Postbac87, do you happen to know your friend's stats?

Well, they're all rolling admission so first come first serve. However, on last year's forum, someone mentioned that they weren't interviewed until the week before the start of the program, and they got in. It's safe to assume he applied late since applications are reviewed in the order they're received (I'm assuming). I'm sure this doesn't happen often, but it's worth a try. The worst that can happen is them saying no, the best is that you get in! Try it....competition...lol, jk

Well as someone mentioned, the application is reviewed on a rolling basis, the earlier you apply the better your likelihood in securing an "interview" spot. But since you are re-apps, you shouldnt worry too much because april is still considred early in the apps in the . I applied in late april / early may last year and was still able to secure an interview spot

Thanks guys :)

Since the postbac programs review applications and grant interviews on a "rolling admissions" fashion, that would lead me to believe that my application has already been reviewed and that I did not receive an interview. I am a first time applicant and was complete late February. From what I've seen, people who have applied much later are already getting interviews.

Also, I read from last years forum that people were at least receiving confirmation emails from the schools stating that their applications are being processed. Did anyone receive any confirmation emails from any of the schools?

Nope, no confirmation email. Don't get too far ahead of yourself and give up, there could be something else they consider in order to determine the application processing.

Since the postbac programs review applications and grant interviews on a "rolling admissions" fashion, that would lead me to believe that my application has already been reviewed and that I did not receive an interview. I am a first time applicant and was complete late February. From what I've seen, people who have applied much later are already getting interviews.

Also, I read from last years forum that people were at least receiving confirmation emails from the schools stating that their applications are being processed. Did anyone receive any confirmation emails from any of the schools?

my application also got completed by early march and I'm thinking about the same thing as you are :( ... i have a good GPA too and i do have research as well so i am not so sure what they are exactly looking for :( ... I just hope they didn't reject us already :xf: since i really have hope on this one

my application also got completed by early march and I'm thinking about the same thing as you are :( ... i have a good GPA too and i do have research as well so i am not so sure what they are exactly looking for :( ... I just hope they didn't reject us already :xf: since i really have hope on this one

I am in the same both. My application was completed early march. My GPA isn't high, but my EC is pretty good...

But yeah, I agree with the whole "rolling basis" idea. IT is easy to assume that we didn't get in since it is rolling basis and people who applied this month already got interviews...

:(

application marked COMPLETE last week and now awaits interview invites from SF, Davis, SD and Irvine.

waiting sucks! :(

Maybe if we post our stats, we can differentiate between the people who have gotten interviews and those who haven't. In doing this, we might be able to get a feel for what the application committees are looking for. Following my suggestion, I'll go first:

First-time applicant
Submitted March 9th, complete March 29
graduated from UC Merced
3.12gpa (still, taking classes though so hopefully a 3.2+ after this semester)
EC: 2 summers of research at UCSB (under 2 professors), 1 yr of research at UCM, founding member of 4 clubs, founding leadership board of 2 clubs, total leadership positions in 3 clubs.
Worked all throughout college
Disadvantaged (socioeconomically and 1st generation)
Strong LORs, etc

Please post your stats so we can see where everybody is at, and don't forget to tell if you're a reapplicant or a first-time applicant and your submission dates.

In the spirit of sharing, here goes:

First-time applicant
Submitted March 30th, completed April 2nd
Graduated from UCDavis in 2004
GPA: yikes, lets just say I met the cut offs for the schools (this may be my downfall)
EC: 6 years research (one senior thesis type project while at UC Davis), currently work at a lab at UC, work with patient clinical trials, take vitals etc., a poster, an abstract author, currently working on a few projects that are on going
worked throughout college in a research lab
Disadvanted to the max
Very strong LOR's (they let me peak, I look at them everytime I feel bad about myself:)

Not a single phone call, email, nada.