official CA POST BAC 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmoore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to UC Post Bacs this year??

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking of applying to the UC Post bacs this year. I have yet to take the MCATs but I've already registered. Anyone know how competitive these places are to get in?

Hey! Im doing it. I hear its pretty competitive, but most of the people Ive talked to have gotten in to A program, if not more than one... haha I bet I just jinxed myself. Which schools are you guys planning on applying too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question, the UC postbacs are for disadvantaged students right? What exactly will qualify one for disadvantaged student because I am interested in applying too!

Thanks guys!

Hey! Im doing it. I hear its pretty competitive, but most of the people Ive talked to have gotten in to A program, if not more than one... haha I bet I just jinxed myself. Which schools are you guys planning on applying too?
I applied to all the CA UC schools!!

Quick question, the UC postbacs are for disadvantaged students right? What exactly will qualify one for disadvantaged student because I am interested in applying too!

Thanks guys!
Visit the web page..just google uc post bacs and it will take you to the main site where you can see all the info and the frequently asked questions..and for your question, a disadvantaged student is one who resided in an underserved community or who is economically disadvantaged..but visit the web site you will find it more helpful!! Also the great thing is that we just have to fill out one app for all UC schools!!

I recently finished my app, and now Im paranoid. haha! I know app deadlines are in like April, but I just want someone to call me now so that my plans for next year would be final. What schools are you guys hoping to get in to? AND if worst comes to worse and you didnt get in, whats plan B?

I am a student in the UC Berkeley extension post bacc pre health program:

here is what I can tell you:

It was incredibly easy to get in, not any requirements per se just email the director of the program he is extremely nice.

I found the classes to be fairly easy, the teacher want to help you and want you to get good grades so the classes are designed that way.

Hope all works out for everyone

It was incredibly easy to get in, not any requirements per se just email the director of the program he is extremely nice.

I found the classes to be fairly easy, the teacher want to help you and want you to get good grades so the classes are designed that way.

Does the school offer student loans for those who need it? Or is it like an "open campus" thing where its not an official post bac??

I recently finished my app, and now Im paranoid. haha! I know app deadlines are in like April, but I just want someone to call me now so that my plans for next year would be final. What schools are you guys hoping to get in to? AND if worst comes to worse and you didnt get in, whats plan B?
I applied to all UC schools..but UC Davis is my number one pick!!! When did you submit your application and to where?? Also is your app still pending or is it complete?? Cuz mine is still pending even though I submitted it early jan

I applied to all UC schools..but UC Davis is my number one pick!!! When did you submit your application and to where?? Also is your app still pending or is it complete?? Cuz mine is still pending even though I submitted it early jan

HEY! I applied to all of the schools too, but SD is def my number 1. And yeah, my app is still pending too. Im sure it will continue to pend until they have received all of the transcripts and LORS. So that may take some time. Keep me updated on your status! I hope we both get into our schools... MED SCHOOL HERE WE COME!! woooooo :D

HEY! I applied to all of the schools too, but SD is def my number 1. And yeah, my app is still pending too. Im sure it will continue to pend until they have received all of the transcripts and LORS. So that may take some time. Keep me updated on your status! I hope we both get into our schools... MED SCHOOL HERE WE COME!! woooooo :D
I hope so too!! :xf: Hey do you know anyone who got into medical school after completing UC post bac?

Can you back this up with numbers? Applied versus accepted? Do most people who apply get accepted?

I don't normally think of any UC program to be easy to get into, but maybe the post-bacs really are easy to get into.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope so too!! :xf: Hey do you know anyone who got into medical school after completing UC post bac?

NO :( sadly no. Ive heard stats around 85% But Im not sure about those. That would be a great question to ask when we start getting interviews. :) Also, I really want to know what the average mcat score is after coming into this program. I havent studied for the mcat at all. I keep putting it off, thinking I have all summer. What about you? Studied or familiar w/ the mcat at all?

Hello all!! :) I applied to 3 programs and now I am waiting patiently on any news..Anyone get interviews yet?

Hello all!! :) I applied to 3 programs and now I am waiting patiently on any news..Anyone get interviews yet?

Hey! not a word yet, but my app isnt complete yet either. I have two LORs that are in, so im waiting on the last one and my transcripts. I wish that someone... anyone would contact me!! I hate this waiting game... :scared:

Can you back this up with numbers? Applied versus accepted? Do most people who apply get accepted?

I don't normally think of any UC program to be easy to get into, but maybe the post-bacs really are easy to get into.

Thanks.

The UCB Extension PB isn't the same as the other UC postbacs, it's not only targeted towards disadvantaged students AFAIK.

Hey! not a word yet, but my app isnt complete yet either. I have two LORs that are in, so im waiting on the last one and my transcripts. I wish that someone... anyone would contact me!! I hate this waiting game... :scared:
I was complete last week..I don't know if the UC's have started reviewing yet. :confused:

NO :( sadly no. Ive heard stats around 85% But Im not sure about those. That would be a great question to ask when we start getting interviews. :) Also, I really want to know what the average mcat score is after coming into this program. I havent studied for the mcat at all. I keep putting it off, thinking I have all summer. What about you? Studied or familiar w/ the mcat at all?
Sorry!! I been real bz..I am a reapplicant..I took the mcat and did well. I studied by taking many many practice tests because thats the key to doing well. Anyways..I am finally complete!!!

Come on people!! If you have applied to the UC post bacs this year, join this thread please!!! :D

UCB Extension is a non-formal program and is not considered to be one of the UC Consortium Post Bac. The formal program only accepts about 2% of the people that applied so it's fairly competitive.
PS: different UCs have different type of students they're looking for so it's better to apply to all of them.

UCSF Post-Bac
Class of 2010

Hey all!

This is my second time applying to the UC Postbaccs. I don't think they've started reviewing only because everytime I walk by the postbacc office at UCLA, it's closed. And last year, I remember receiving rejections :( in late April and all throughout May. I'm pretty sure they start reviewing early April. Let me know if you have any questions!

I wish I could apply but they only accept disadvantaged... which well... I don't think anywhere in OC is considered underserved :( I'd love to be able to go to UCLA's

Hey all!

This is my second time applying to the UC Postbaccs. I don't think they've started reviewing only because everytime I walk by the postbacc office at UCLA, it's closed. And last year, I remember receiving rejections :( in late April and all throughout May. I'm pretty sure they start reviewing early April. Let me know if you have any questions!
I hope you get in this time around :) I am also applying to the UC Postbaccs!

Anyone receive any news yet?? On last years thread some people received interviews after a week of their application completion date.

Hey guys! I am glad to see many more have joined since my last time on here. I have heard nothing so far (my app was declared complete last week... finally!). I was looking on the UCSD website and it I saw that they start interviewing March 8. I hope all of the graduating seniors are doing well. I know that I am def going through SEVERE senioritis right now. Good luck to all of you, I hope we all get in somewhere!

Hey guys! I am glad to see many more have joined since my last time on here. I have heard nothing so far (my app was declared complete last week... finally!). I was looking on the UCSD website and it I saw that they start interviewing March 8. I hope all of the graduating seniors are doing well. I know that I am def going through SEVERE senioritis right now. Good luck to all of you, I hope we all get in somewhere!
Hey! My app been complete since early feb and still no word.

I am accepted into the UCB Post Bacc and am currently taking classes there. I will be applying to med school next year.

Just submitted My Apps(UCSF/UCSD/UCD/UCI) :)
Need to Send my official transcript and rec letter tomorrow~

If you have preference, can you tell which one and why? (higher acceptance to med school? better program? etc)

THANKS!!!

I submitted my app on the 8th of this month. I'm waiting for my transcripts and one more LOR!
UCD and UCSF are my top 2. I'm from SD, so I don't want to go there or UCI because I want to branch out. Also, UCSD is in La Jolla, which isn't a diverse area. I want to go to school somewhere where my neighbors look like me. I'm Black and I hate it when people ask awkward racial questions, so I try to avoid them.
UCSF has a 97% medical school matriculation rate, even though you take classes at SFSU. Plus, I've been reading that the pressure is less at UCSF as opposed to UCSD because you're taking classes at the CSU. Which is a good thing because the whole purpose is to bring our grades up.
UCD is close to the university I go to right now (UCM), so the move won't be that bad. I'm sure that Davis is a good city to study in...there's not that much there to distract you....
What are everyone elses' first choices?

BTW, what are everyone's stats? If you don't mind sharing?

I submitted my app on the 8th of this month. I'm waiting for my transcripts and one more LOR!
UCD and UCSF are my top 2. I'm from SD, so I don't want to go there or UCI because I want to branch out. Also, UCSD is in La Jolla, which isn't a diverse area. I want to go to school somewhere where my neighbors look like me. I'm Black and I hate it when people ask awkward racial questions, so I try to avoid them.
UCSF has a 97% medical school matriculation rate, even though you take classes at SFSU. Plus, I've been reading that the pressure is less at UCSF as opposed to UCSD because you're taking classes at the CSU. Which is a good thing because the whole purpose is to bring our grades up.
UCD is close to the university I go to right now (UCM), so the move won't be that bad. I'm sure that Davis is a good city to study in...there's not that much there to distract you....

My Top Choice is UCSF. Pretty much same reason as yours. I thought it would be little easier to get good grades.

As for my Stats... I graduated from UC Berkeley have uGPA: 3.05:(
Have not taken MCAT but will in end of March.

For first time app? did you all submitted SAT scores for UCSF? do you know if they take GRE?

Hey there! Yea I heard too that there's less pressure on ucsf students..UCSF and UCD are my top picks!! Too bad CSUS are not taking any post bac students...now UCD students have to take their classes at UCD which will put more pressure on the students. I know some people that attended UCD post bac and decided to take classes at CSUS and did very well.

Hello everyone!! anyone receive any interviews yet?? I know it's early in the application cycle but I heard some schools started interviewing early this month last year..

Last edited:
I didn't take the MCAT, but I'm registering or June 17th..and I didn't submit any of my SAT, GRE, etc. I didn't take the GRE seriously enough because it was only my back up plan. I always know that there's a graduate program I can get into if medical schools really don't want me...but, thinking positively, I don't think that will be the case. Maybe we'll see each other in SF or Davis! Are you guys from Nor-Cal?

Also, from what I read on last year's loop, interviews are sparse this early and most people get them in late April-early June...get those apps in early...(I even consider the date that I turned mine in as being semi-late since the app was out in Jan).

I didn't take the MCAT, but I'm registering or June 17th..and I didn't submit any of my SAT, GRE, etc. I didn't take the GRE seriously enough because it was only my back up plan. I always know that there's a graduate program I can get into if medical schools really don't want me...but, thinking positively, I don't think that will be the case. Maybe we'll see each other in SF or Davis! Are you guys from Nor-Cal?

Also, from what I read on last year's loop, interviews are sparse this early and most people get them in late April-early June...get those apps in early...(I even consider the date that I turned mine in as being semi-late since the app was out in Jan).
Im from Nor-Cal :) Thanks for the info I guess I just need to be patient :D

Hey all! Im sort of relieved to hear that no one has heard anything yet. I have been freaking out this last week. Word of advice DO NOT READ THROUGH LAST YEARS POST BAC THREAD hahah. If you compare last year to this year, interview invites are being sent out as I am typing. Every phone call and email I recieve, I am hoping to hear something. Therefore, good luck to everyone on another week of waiting :scared: I hate this game!

Hey calbap10...how did you find out that they're already interviewing? HAve you received an interview invite?

S/He meant that this time last year, invites were being sent out. That was on last year's thread. No interview invites have been recorded yet this year.

Hey calbap10...how did you find out that they're already interviewing? HAve you received an interview invite?

Hey! Yeah I guess that was a bit confusing. I was looking through the threads from last year and saw that the first interview invite was documented on SDN March 19. Has anyone talked to people that were involved in the program this last year?

Hi :) has anyone received anything from the schools stating they have received the application?

Hey! Yeah I guess that was a bit confusing. I was looking through the threads from last year and saw that the first interview invite was documented on SDN March 19. Has anyone talked to people that were involved in the program this last year?
Hey! My buddie's friend went to UCD program 2 years ago and she got into UCD medical school last year!! She loved it there. Also, I believe we get automatic secondaries from all the UC's in CA, which is awesome!! Anyways I will keep everyone updated on my status..Good Luck to All of us!!! :xf:

Hey Guys,

I'm applying for the UC post bac as well. I submitted everything in early March and am just waiting on 1 more transcript. . . exciting times are ahead!

My Top Choice is UCSF. Pretty much same reason as yours. I thought it would be little easier to get good grades.

As for my Stats... I graduated from UC Berkeley have uGPA: 3.05:(
Have not taken MCAT but will in end of March.

For first time app? did you all submitted SAT scores for UCSF? do you know if they take GRE?

I emailed the Post bac administrator guy and he said that some of the schools take the SAT score, but most people don't submit it. Don't worry about it. Idk as far as the GRE goes...I'd say only submit it if it helps make u a stronger applicant.

Does anyone know if California Postbaccalaureate Consortium is on Spring Break? I have sent my Transcript last week and it should have arrived by now (I sent it to Tuft later than to Davis and they got it already), but my transcript still missing...i don't know if it is cuz they are on break or cuz it was misplaced.:(
I know that UCSF is not on break cuz I got email from them that my transcript is missing, but Davis?

Does anyone know if California Postbaccalaureate Consortium is on Spring Break? I have sent my Transcript last week and it should have arrived by now (I sent it to Tuft later than to Davis and they got it already), but my transcript still missing...i don't know if it is cuz they are on break or cuz it was misplaced.:(
I know that UCSF is not on break cuz I got email from them that my transcript is missing, but Davis?

Hey Medimed,
I'm not sure about that either. I just sent an email to the general post-bac contact because I also got a letter from UCSF about a missing recommendation letter. I freaked because my prof said he sent it on the afternoon of the 18th...that was 10 days ago. I wonder though. I know my school completely closes for spring break, so I'm guessing that maybe UCD has the same break as me. Let me know if yours gets there...it'll give me hope! I'm SOOOO anxious to start hearing from the schools!

Hey Steph1NeeNee,

Since I did not have any Consortium contact info, I emailed UCSF asking if they are on spring break and their contact info.

This is the reply:
"I’m not sure if the consortium if on spring break or not – I know that others have had a difficult time reaching them as well.
The only number I have for them is (530) 754-6033.
Our office is attempting to get in touch with them about their lack of communication."

Hopefully they start updating application since break ended for Davis....:oops:

Medimed,
I am almost certain that they were on Spring Break because, as of today my application has the big red "complete" on it. The contact information that I use is [email protected] . I've emailed them several times and have received responses a few days later- not rapid but at least it comes. Hope yours has complete status soon too! Now we wait...has anyone heard anything btw? Last year's blog was full of waiting and waiting...

My application is Complete too!!:)
I hope I hear from each school soon~

Anyone hear from anywhere yet? I'm still waiting for my application to be complete. Good luck everyone!