official CA POST BAC 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Only got a rejection from UCI, havent heard from UCD, UCSF or UCSD yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergraduate Institution: UCLA
Overall GPA: 3.5
Sci GPA: 3.3
MCAT: 29M
Extracurriculars: 2+ years in investigative research and volunteering at clinic.

Undergraduate Institution: UCLA
Overall GPA: 3.5
Sci GPA: 3.3
MCAT: 29M
Extracurriculars: 2+ years in investigative research and volunteering at clinic.

you sound like an average applicatant. why not just apply to med?

Hello Fellow Future Physicians,

I need some advice. So I have been accepted to the UCSF Post Bacc program (yay). However, I was just offered a position at the hospital that will pay me some good $$$$$. Should I take the position and study for the MCAT on my own with a private tutor or pile on more debt with the UCSF program???

Thank you,
iheartcardio

PS. I really appreciate your feedback

Whats more important to you. Money or med school. obviously if u work and study u will be working with less time potential for the mcat.

i recomend mcat. Money comes and goes but you only have so many years to your life and cant risk a poor mcat and another application cycle. (not that im saying ull get a poor mcat but its important! :p)

I need some advice. So I have been accepted to the UCSF Post Bacc program (yay). However, I was just offered a position at the hospital that will pay me some good $$$$$. Should I take the position and study for the MCAT on my own with a private tutor or pile on more debt with the UCSF program???

Thank you,
iheartcardio

I personally think the UCSF Postbac is a better investment than getting some good dollars short-term. But it depends on what fits your needs as of the moment. If one has a debt and need to pay for it, then opting for the hospital position would help and med school adcoms will not fault you on that.

If you feel confident with your stats (Cum/Sci/Grad GPA), then all you need to do is do well on the MCAT. Studying by yourself is possible when you have the right discipline and motivation. It also sounds like you can afford a private tutor (which may be a cheaper option than paying a full academic term at Cal).

Just my 2 cents.

i just saw a group calling themselves the UCB post bacc group headed to Honduras. Im guessing they already got their class?

i just saw a group calling themselves the UCB post bacc group headed to Honduras. Im guessing they already got their class?

UCB has an independently operating pre-health postbac (Certificate) unrelated to the UCSF (through Berkeley and formerly through SFSU) Postbac and apart from the UC Postbac Consortium.

Thanks so so much RICE and INTER... i really appreciate the advice :)

*The only thing in my way is the cost of the program $10k and I would be using my savings for housing....yikes!!! This sucks!!

Thanks so so much RICE and INTER... i really appreciate the advice :)

*The only thing in my way is the cost of the program $10k and I would be using my savings for housing....yikes!!! This sucks!!

Savings? That's unheard of for pre-meds... for a struggling premed like me at least. HAHA.

Who are in SoCal area (LA)? Let's have a meet up! Let's have a strong support group and have a study group for MCAT together. Maybe form an LA chapter :laugh:

a big congrats on your acceptance, iheartcardio!:D i agree with ricexeater on how you should take the job and focus on the mcat because your stats look pretty good to me already and you even have some grad work done.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
a big congrats on your acceptance, iheartcardio!:D i agree with ricexeater on how you should take the job and focus on the mcat because your stats look pretty good to me already and you even have some grad work done.:thumbup:

Thanks so so much

Savings? That's unheard of for pre-meds... for a struggling premed like me at least. HAHA.

Who are in SoCal area (LA)? Let's have a meet up! Let's have a strong support group and have a study group for MCAT together. Maybe form an LA chapter :laugh:

Hey that's a good idea!!! Which city do you live in? (if i choose to not participate in the UCSF program I would love to set up a study group...fyi I'm calling first thing in the morning to get some info about financial aid because if I don't get enough money for the program then I would have to get a job!! lol that would totally negate the fact that a passed up a good position for the program)

HAHAH... yes i have a small piggy bank! :laugh:...emphasis on small...

Hey that's a good idea!!! Which city do you live in? (if i choose to not participate in the UCSF program I would love to set up a study group...fyi I'm calling first thing in the morning to get some info about financial aid because if I don't get enough money for the program then I would have to get a job!! lol that would totally negate the fact that a passed up a good position for the program)

Well, I can meet anyone up in the SFV, LA or depending in what city in OC.
I have a friend studying for it for the August 4 test date.

Another friend (MD/PhD from abroad) is studying for the Step 1 and he suggested to have a moderator. He said having a group really helps not only as a source of strong support but also to keep up with the studying.

If you know other people, let me know.

Participate in the program. Don't worry about the money problem. It will always gonna be there while an opportunity to really focus on the MCAT may only come once. Our struggles today will make everything taste sweeter later on :)

Participate in the program. Don't worry about the money problem. It will always gonna be there while an opportunity to really focus on the MCAT may only come once. Our struggles today will make everything taste sweeter later on :)

Great advice!

hi guys. congrats to all those who have been accepted into the program! i feel very fortunate to have been offered a position in the UCSF postbacc program, but am also in a dilemma. if you had to choose between a UC postbacc, the Ohio State MedPATH program, and the Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies (GEMS) program, which would you choose and why? Here are some of my thoughts:

GEMS - pros: awesome staff, camaraderie among students, will take 1st year medical courses, intense program that will provide great preparation for med school, class size: ~30-40, considering one does well, will be able to matriculate at georgetown med the next year (no glide year). cons: weather and very high cost of tuition/living.

Ohio State MedPath: pros: amazing school, incredible support system (they basically do everything in their power to help you succeed), will take upper science courses on undergrad campus, conditional acceptance to Ohio State SOM the following fall (no glide year), 15 students in cohort, can establish OH residencey and pay in-state tuition for med school, very affordable cost of living. cons: weather and location?

UCSF postbacc: pros: unbeatable city with great diversity and nice weather year-round, 10-15 students in cohort, very high success rate of getting into med school. cons: will have to take glide year and do the whole amcas, secondaries, interviews thing again after postbacc year (that's what they recommend as opposed to applying during the postbacc year so that you can show that your grades improved), no guarantees/linkages though at least 50% of the students who graduate from the program end up being accepted to one or more med schools in California. Maybe 1 yr isn't much in the long run, but I've already taken time off after college to work and don't want to waste any more time when I'd rather be in med school and studying!

Sorry for the long post but I really need some input and would appreciate your feedback. Truth be told, here's what it boils down to: Am I willing to give up a conditional acceptance to Georgetown/Ohio State to participate in the UC postbacc? Am I willing to take these chances for the hope of getting in to a CA med school? This means I'll have a take a glide year and go through the money-draining, anxiety-producing, emotional roller coaster of applying all over again (i.e. amcas, secondaries, interviews if I'm lucky enough). There are no guarantees I'll get into a medical school later or even one as great as Georgetown or Ohio State. Ultimately, I'd like to stay in CA, and if you can't tell already, the weather is a very important consideration for me. I feel like I'm at my best (academically, socially, etc.) when the weather is nice. I need a lot of natural light! But hey, beggars can't be choosers, right?

sounds like you have already made your decision. Would you really trade a conditional acceptance to a medical school for better weather? besides, weather in georgetown isn't that bad. I say take the Ohio one because it is a lot cheaper than GEMS and don't look back, leave the UCSF spot for the people who don't have better options like you do.

hi guys. congrats to all those who have been accepted into the program! i feel very fortunate to have been offered a position in the UCSF postbacc program, but am also in a dilemma. if you had to choose between a UC postbacc, the Ohio State MedPATH program, and the Georgetown Experimental Medical Studies (GEMS) program, which would you choose and why? Here are some of my thoughts:

GEMS - pros: awesome staff, camaraderie among students, will take 1st year medical courses, intense program that will provide great preparation for med school, class size: ~30-40, considering one does well, will be able to matriculate at georgetown med the next year (no glide year). cons: weather and very high cost of tuition/living.

Ohio State MedPath: pros: amazing school, incredible support system (they basically do everything in their power to help you succeed), will take upper science courses on undergrad campus, conditional acceptance to Ohio State SOM the following fall (no glide year), 15 students in cohort, can establish OH residencey and pay in-state tuition for med school, very affordable cost of living. cons: weather and location?

UCSF postbacc: pros: unbeatable city with great diversity and nice weather year-round, 10-15 students in cohort, very high success rate of getting into med school. cons: will have to take glide year and do the whole amcas, secondaries, interviews thing again after postbacc year (that's what they recommend as opposed to applying during the postbacc year so that you can show that your grades improved), no guarantees/linkages though at least 50% of the students who graduate from the program end up being accepted to one or more med schools in California. Maybe 1 yr isn't much in the long run, but I've already taken time off after college to work and don't want to waste any more time when I'd rather be in med school and studying!

Sorry for the long post but I really need some input and would appreciate your feedback. Truth be told, here's what it boils down to: Am I willing to give up a conditional acceptance to Georgetown/Ohio State to participate in the UC postbacc? Am I willing to take these chances for the hope of getting in to a CA med school? This means I'll have a take a glide year and go through the money-draining, anxiety-producing, emotional roller coaster of applying all over again (i.e. amcas, secondaries, interviews if I'm lucky enough). There are no guarantees I'll get into a medical school later or even one as great as Georgetown or Ohio State. Ultimately, I'd like to stay in CA, and if you can't tell already, the weather is a very important consideration for me. I feel like I'm at my best (academically, socially, etc.) when the weather is nice. I need a lot of natural light! But hey, beggars can't be choosers, right?

What's 4 years of your life when you can always go back to California to practice? Besides, you'll be studying within the confines of your room or a library and not out enjoying the sun, or snow for that matter.

Conditional acceptance is a much better place to be in rather than a regular postbac. At least the best among the options you have. It's like being in a waitlist but the difference is that a reward lies ahead when you do well. It is doable with a proper mind set.

It seems like the best fit would be Ohio State, in terms of weather and cost of attendance. My friend started at Ohio State SOM 2 years ago and doesn't complain about it. And he's from California :)

HMMMM GEMS or OHIO!!! (YIKES)...

Although GEMS is expensive it seems like there is more of a guarantee that you will get that med school seat...? If that is the case...as I am discovering don't even consider the cost...there are many programs that will help you with your debt once you become a physician :)

PS. If your religious pray, pray, pray and then decide :)

Many can provide you with advice but at the end of the day you have to be happy with your decision...I wish you the best!!!

What's the status with everyone? Accepted, no word yet, rejected...etc?

Thank you,
iheartcardio

I really can't justify telling someone NOT to go into the UCSF program. Preparing on your own for the MCAT is going to be pricey, and if you already have clinical experience, the GPA and MCAT improvement are what you need to get into med school. UCSF will give you that.

What's the status with everyone? Accepted, no word yet, rejected...etc?

There has been some very exciting movement on this site; CONGRATULATIONS team!
As for me, no word from UCD, UCSD, UCLA or UCSF, rejected from UCI and accepted to Drexel MSP (this morning :)).
Also, I talked to UCD SOM to ask what changes I needed to make before reapplying and the Director there said my gpa will probably be too high to gain acceptance to UCD post bacc. For anyone else in this position, here is Ed's (UCD SOM Director) advice: "take a job in research or a hospital, continue pursuing extracurricular activities in an area you love and work hard on the MCAT."
Currently, I am building a resume (I found my dream job) and preparing to move to Davis because I love their medical community so why not get started working there early? I deeply appreciate your excellent advice throughout this cycle, good luck to all, you are amazing, strong individuals ;)

I really can't justify telling someone NOT to go into the UCSF program. Preparing on your own for the MCAT is going to be pricey, and if you already have clinical experience, the GPA and MCAT improvement are what you need to get into med school. UCSF will give you that.

Submited my application on the last possible day for first time applicants (I thingk Arpril 9th or 15th). Only interviewed at UCI in Mid april. I was suprise to hears so soon, but after that have been checking my email every 30 minutes and nothing.....has anyone else heard from UCI, interviewed and been accepeted or rejected.

.Dear Applicant: .
. .
.On behalf of the Postbaccalaureate Program Admissions Committee at the UC Irvine School of Medicine, we would like to thank you for applying to the 2010-2011 Program..
. .
.Your application has been carefully reviewed by the Committee, and regretfully, we must inform you that you were not selected for a position in the Program. This year we had a record number of applications. Unfortunately we could not accommodate all the applicants who have the desire and ability to succeed in the program..
. .
.It is our sincere wish that you will be successful in achieving your goals..
. .
.Sincerely,.
. .
.UC Irvine School of Medicine.
.Office of Admissions & Outreach...

sigh :(

.Dear Applicant: .

.On behalf of the Postbaccalaureate Program Admissions Committee at the UC Irvine School of Medicine, we would like to thank you for applying to the 2010-2011 Program..

.Your application has been carefully reviewed by the Committee, and regretfully, we must inform you that you were not selected for a position in the Program. This year we had a record number of applications. Unfortunately we could not accommodate all the applicants who have the desire and ability to succeed in the program..

.It is our sincere wish that you will be successful in achieving your goals..

.Sincerely,.

.UC Irvine School of Medicine.
.Office of Admissions & Outreach.

sigh :(

awwww, when did you get this?

The suspense of waiting is killing me! lol, I am sure everyone is also going through the same emotional roller coaster. Anyway, we will all be doctors in due time. Just wanted to wish all of you the best and fortune in your endeavors!

Just got a call from UC Davis' post bacc program! Good luck to everyone!!!

I would go with conditional acceptances of either Georgetown/Ohio State. The process of applying to medical schools is going to be costly, there are no guarantees, and all that sunny weather is going to be drowned in a pool of stress, regret, and hindsight when you have to apply to medical school in the fall. I would hate that for anybody on this site!

As for those worried about picking a program or working...You may want to look over your application and look at it from the point of view of an admissions officer. You have to look at your application like it is being scored, determine where you could improve the most (are you going to get more points for improving your experience or more points for GPA/MCAT, LOR's, etc), then decide. For me, another year of experience is not going to enhance my application as much as an improvement in my scores. GPA and MCAT scores are the key for me. Overall, those are two pieces of the biggest pieces of the pie chart when admissions looks at applications. You may want also want to call your top choices for medical school and ask them for some advice (they should post their enrolling classes stats). Your stats look good, but what kind of graduate classes did you take? Overall GPA is good, but once you look at the science GPA, which is what the admissions office does, you will be competing with others who have 3.5 science GPA's. After all that research, then decide. Good luck!

Still waiting and haven't heard anything. Sigh. I wish the UC's would be faster with their replies like SFSU!

My mind has been boggling with what to do with my life and feel I'm just at a stand still. So I've started looking for jobs, and haven't really got an idea of where to start. I'm currently working in a research entomology lab in the Bay, and would like to find a job more related to the health field. Anyone hear or know of any places hiring? I'm also looking into non-profit organizations as well. I can't spend all my time waiting, so time to be productive!

When is the latest that you think they will let us know? May is almost over!! I am so nervous!

I would go with conditional acceptances of either Georgetown/Ohio State. The process of applying to medical schools is going to be costly, there are no guarantees, and all that sunny weather is going to be drowned in a pool of stress, regret, and hindsight when you have to apply to medical school in the fall. I would hate that for anybody on this site!

As for those worried about picking a program or working...You may want to look over your application and look at it from the point of view of an admissions officer. You have to look at your application like it is being scored, determine where you could improve the most (are you going to get more points for improving your experience or more points for GPA/MCAT, LOR's, etc), then decide. For me, another year of experience is not going to enhance my application as much as an improvement in my scores. GPA and MCAT scores are the key for me. Overall, those are two pieces of the biggest pieces of the pie chart when admissions looks at applications. You may want also want to call your top choices for medical school and ask them for some advice (they should post their enrolling classes stats). Your stats look good, but what kind of graduate classes did you take? Overall GPA is good, but once you look at the science GPA, which is what the admissions office does, you will be competing with others who have 3.5 science GPA's. After all that research, then decide. Good luck!

Great Advice!!! I'm going for the Gold...I almost have my house packed up...I can't wait to go to UCSF...one step closer to med school..wooohooo!!! FYI i spoke with the director there and the GPA cut off is a 3.6 meaning in order for you to get a committee letter you need a 3.6 in your post-bac courses!!!! We can do this everyone...I wish you all the best of luck!!!

UC Irvine just emailed me my rejection. Oddly enough, I'm not too sad. It helps that everyone on this thread is so supportive. Thanks! =)

Wishing the best news for everyone.

Interview? Admission offer? YAY, CONGRATULATIONS! :thumbup:

It was an acceptance! And on Monday I just interviewed for the DPMS program. They said they would get back to me by next week so we will see. I may need to make some hard decisions.

jjmac5, you're so lucky and double congrats!! did you already interview with UCD before getting the phone acceptance? good luck on making your decision!

jjmac5, you're so lucky and double congrats!! did you already interview with UCD before getting the phone acceptance? good luck on making your decision!

doc2u, thanks so much!!! yes I had already did an interview! Good luck to you too.

I have a message to all who haven't gotten any information from the schools, "Have faith and believe that someday, you will become that which you want to become - a Physician."

I heard not all schools will have their decision made by June 1st, some were still interviewing late last week.

Only got a rejection from UCI, havent heard from UCD, UCSF or UCSD yet

Have you recieved an interview date from any of the schools, or have they not contacted you at all (UCD UCSF UCSD)? Also, are many of you in the same boat, or have you had interviews...

Have you recieved an interview date from any of the schools, or have they not contacted you at all (UCD UCSF UCSD)? Also, are many of you in the same boat, or have you had interviews...

I had an interview at UC Irvine in early May and have not heard anything yet. I also have an interview with UC Davis latter this week.

My friend got into one of the UCs. She interviewed with every place except ucr/uci and ucla.

and that was like a month ago, and they already had 8/10 filled.

So I think for most schools they are already filled, or they are trying to fill in the last one or two seats.

I interviewed the last week of April for UCD and I have not heard back... :( this is so sad... does anyone know if any other UC's are sending anymore interview invites? or pretty much if we have not heard back that is it?

Okay June 1st, let rejection emails come in.

On a different note, anyone taking Biochem this Fall at UCLA Extension or have taken their Biochem series A thru C?