Official Baylor College of Medicine entering class 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone pickout a lender yet?

Members don't see this ad.

SteveUTexas said:
Yes, 36,055 is the total cost for in-state:

Tuition $6,550
Fees $4,013
Books & Supplies $6,298
FSL Loan Fees $255
Other Loan Fees $272
Cost of Living $18,667
Exam Fees $0
Total Budget $36,055

On the topic of loans, should we start applying for our Stafford loans right now? I have no idea how to choose a lender/multiple lenders. Anyone have an idea of how to go about choosing them? A colleague of mine told me to go with multiple lenders, so that I have a choice of whom I want to consolidate my loans with, instead of being only able to consolidate with the one lender I have, if I had only one. Ack, all this means gibberish to me right now. :eek:

Does anybody know much about the community outreach program with Dr. James L. Phillips, one of the senior associate deans?

Members don't see this ad :)
ferzen said:

As someone who just recently consolidated I will tell you that it doesn't matter what lender I chose because I ended up having to consolidate with that company. Once you consolidate, you get new terms (which means all those cool things they promised to you to choose them as a lender go out the door). I remember AMS promised me refunds on the guarentee fee, etc. But that's only if you end up paying back the loan to them directly without consolidating, which most people won't do because your monthly payments will go sky high.

For those accepted to Baylor,

What do I need to turn in to Baylor by May 15? Is it just $300? And is this $300 just a check made out to BCM? Who do I mail it to? Do I need to turn in immunization stuff or health insurance? Are there any forms that need to be turned in?

I'm not sure where this information is located, if it was in my acceptance letter I don't know where that is now.

helicopter said:
For those accepted to Baylor,

What do I need to turn in to Baylor by May 15? Is it just $300? And is this $300 just a check made out to BCM? Who do I mail it to? Do I need to turn in immunization stuff or health insurance? Are there any forms that need to be turned in?

I'm not sure where this information is located, if it was in my acceptance letter I don't know where that is now.
Hey, by May 15th it's just the deposit check, i think. the deposit is $300. runner1979 was just kind enough to send me the details for where to send it. write the check to Baylor College of Medicine and send it to:

Office of Admissions
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza, MS BCM 110
Houston, TX 77030

The immunization stuff doesn't need to be submitted till latest July 1st. You can find this and more information on the BCM Class of 09 webpage: http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2009/

latinfridley said:
5) and just for kicks I went to the El Mundo area. Gotta say, I didnt like the area at all. Some of the complexes were plain scary with razor wire on top of their walls. The whole area looked unsafe. It was rather odd, because they have a few nice looking complexes, i.e.- San Melia, San Marin, Parque del Oro, and then some really, really, shady looking complexes next door. I just didnt feel very safe here.

I was also hunting for housing this past week and ended up signing a 6 month lease at Parque del Oro. I also strongly considered Archstone Brompton, but Parque was slightly cheaper, had better leasing terms for me (I'm looking to buy in the winter), came with a full size washer/dryer and also ran an hourly shuttle to the TMC. If I was going to rent for a longer period of time, however, I would have gone with Brompton, no question. Oh, and Parque also got good reviews on apartmentratings, which is unusual:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/TX-Houston-Parque-Del-Oro-Apartments.html

I agree that the northern segment of El Mundo looked totally ghetto. I asked about this at Parque and the leasing agent just shook her head. She said the nicer complexes had periodically begged to have the razor wire removed, but it was grandfathered in and the offendering complexes wouldn't budge.

Hope to see y'all in the path labs. Good luck!

MadameLULU said:
I can only comment on the ones in the Med Center.

the Lanesborough, Archstone Medical Center and the Greenbriar are right next to a rail stop
2111 Holly Hall (don't live here) and Scotland Yard are very close as well

what's wrong with holly hall?

riverie said:
Hey, by May 15th it's just the deposit check, i think. the deposit is $300. runner1979 was just kind enough to send me the details for where to send it. write the check to Baylor College of Medicine and send it to:

Office of Admissions
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza, MS BCM 110
Houston, TX 77030

The immunization stuff doesn't need to be submitted till latest July 1st. You can find this and more information on the BCM Class of 09 webpage: http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2009/

Thanks so much for the help.

Keberson said:
what's wrong with holly hall?
If you're looking for a big apartment at a great price that's in the med center, Holly Hall is your best bet. On the other hand, if you're more concerned with amenities and want to live in a quiet area, I wouldn't recommmend it. I shared the two story townhome with a roommate. Be careful about this layout! The master bedroom is not entirely enclosed (we didn't notice this until after we moved in) and I could hear everything that my roommate (and her b/f) did :thumbdown:.
My neighbors were loud and would party all the time. All day. Every day. Needless to say, they got kicked out, but I swear, their twins moved right in. We also had a bug problem, particularly with ants! They got into my unopened girl scout cookies so I had to throw away all my Samoas =(
Parking is pretty bad too. Be prepared to park far away if you arrive at your complex after 9:30 p.m. Oh, and watch out for the dog poop. It's everywhere.

latinfridley said:
Does anybody know much about the community outreach program with Dr. James L. Phillips, one of the senior associate deans?

I'm very interested in finding out what this is also. Do you know if you do it during your 4 years?

I e-mailed Vernesta Robinson about it on Sunday but she has yet to respond.

helicopter said:
I'm very interested in finding out what this is also. Do you know if you do it during your 4 years?

i actually called in and asked Vernesta about the outreach program
from my understanding its basically a community outreach program where you help out with health fairs and help teach science to kids to get them interested in science :)

Members don't see this ad :)
helicopter said:

hehe..i realized i never actually finished answering your question..
it seems that you do it over your four years and that although there are classes every week or every other week, you just have to sign up for a few (the number is dictated by dr. phillips's office i think)..
hopefully more information is forthcoming :)

agentorange said:
hehe..i realized i never actually finished answering your question..
it seems that you do it over your four years and that although there are classes every week or every other week, you just have to sign up for a few (the number is dictated by dr. phillips's office i think)..
hopefully more information is forthcoming :)

The major thing we MS-I's have been involved with this year is the Saturday Morning Science, which is bringing in inner city kids chosen by their teachers for some interest in medicine or science to do morning activities on different topics, led by our faculty. It was a pilot this year and will start 'for real' next year. There are also a lot of activities that Vernesta passes on to us from all the other organizations on campus and in the community, e.g. Feria de Salud and other things their office doesn't put on but arranges for us to participate in. Baylor's linked with five high schools, but other than SMS we haven't been called on to do anything there yet. Baylor also hosts colleges to come hold fairs on campus, stuff like that.

Our helping isn't demanded or mandatory but it is expected ... subtle difference, as in, you should feel obligated, but if you have an exam or some family thing no one's going to drum you out of school :) And they're not keeping track of your help. There are awards for volunteerism and community service that you can be nominated for and receive at graduation, stuff like that, but Baylor's community service stuff is all carrot and no stick. That way you actually enjoy yourself and it 'counts' as a 'good deed' :D

See you all in July!!!!

Back to books, grumble grumble

ferzen said:

I thought we were borrowing funds from baylor. If not, after we get awarded we need to find a lender(bank)...? I'm a little confused on this topic. :confused:

curlycity said:
The major thing we MS-I's have been involved with this year is the Saturday Morning Science, which is bringing in inner city kids chosen by their teachers for some interest in medicine or science to do morning activities on different topics, led by our faculty. It was a pilot this year and will start 'for real' next year. There are also a lot of activities that Vernesta passes on to us from all the other organizations on campus and in the community, e.g. Feria de Salud and other things their office doesn't put on but arranges for us to participate in. Baylor's linked with five high schools, but other than SMS we haven't been called on to do anything there yet. Baylor also hosts colleges to come hold fairs on campus, stuff like that.

Our helping isn't demanded or mandatory but it is expected ... subtle difference, as in, you should feel obligated, but if you have an exam or some family thing no one's going to drum you out of school :) And they're not keeping track of your help. There are awards for volunteerism and community service that you can be nominated for and receive at graduation, stuff like that, but Baylor's community service stuff is all carrot and no stick. That way you actually enjoy yourself and it 'counts' as a 'good deed' :D

See you all in July!!!!

Back to books, grumble grumble

hey do u how to get involved with those programs, (i.e. email who?)

How much money is needed for books during MS1?

I'm afraid this has probably been covered somewhere in the preceding 35 pages, but I'm curious as to whether it's possible to rotate in Central or South America even if you don't choose to do the International Health Track. I'm pretty sure I'd rather track in something else, but I think the opportunity for immersion is incredibly important, so I'm wondering how possible it is for Baylor student to pursue that option. Thanks ahead of time!

For those still waiting to hear, I just called the admissions office and was told that the status letters were sent on Monday (04/18/05). Anybody heard anything?

I just went down to Houston and bought a condo!!!!!!!!!!! I'm posting because my realtor was amazing. She asked me what I wanted and within 24 hours had emailed several listings to consider. She went and previewed condos for me. She called me last week and told me she'd found the perfect one. I flew down there and she was right, it was perfect and I am now a homeowner!!!!!!! She even negotioted a great price and I got it for a lot less than I was expecting. If any of you are considering buying you should use her. Her name is Megan Thornton and she works with Prudential. Her number is (713) 539-1767. She was so organized and efficient. My mom is also a realtor (obviously not in Houston :) and even she was impressed!

drwlo said:
I just went down to Houston and bought a condo!!!!!!!!!!! I'm posting because my realtor was amazing. She asked me what I wanted and within 24 hours had emailed several listings to consider. She went and previewed condos for me. She called me last week and told me she'd found the perfect one. I flew down there and she was right, it was perfect and I am now a homeowner!!!!!!! She even negotioted a great price and I got it for a lot less than I was expecting. If any of you are considering buying you should use her. Her name is Megan Thornton and she works with Prudential. Her number is (713) 539-1767. She was so organized and efficient. My mom is also a realtor (obviously not in Houston :) and even she was impressed!

OK this is a ******ed question, but I have never owned anything before. If you buy a condo, roughly what % do you put down, and do you have to have this money up front? Could you afford one just on loans or do you need to have a substantial amount of money as well?

Paragozardelsol said:
For those still waiting to hear, I just called the admissions office and was told that the status letters were sent on Monday (04/18/05). Anybody heard anything?

hmm we'll see. I live across the street and haven't recieved anything, but I'll check today and let you know.

jdovez said:
OK this is a ******ed question, but I have never owned anything before. If you buy a condo, roughly what % do you put down, and do you have to have this money up front? Could you afford one just on loans or do you need to have a substantial amount of money as well?

In Houston you put down 1-2% of the total cost as earnest money. The seller holds that until closing but it goes toward the price of the condo. As for what you'd have to give to the bank, that just depends on them. I would talk to a few banks and see what your options are. My friend used her stafford loan as a down payment on a condo.

jdovez said:

The actual downpayment that you pay (beyond th earnest money) can vary, but there are consequences. Most mortgage companies have a general rule of 20% down. This means that you put 20% and finance the rest, no extra charges. If you put down any less than 20%, you will likely have to pay PMI - Private Mortgage Insurance. It is basically just an extra fee on top of your monthly payments. I'm not sure if it's a flat fee or a percentage or what, but I do know that you only pay PMI until you have paid 20% of the principle. Then you go to just having a regular old mortgage.

My husband and I went through all this just last year (though we built the house), so let me know if you have any more questions.

CalicoKat said:
I'm afraid this has probably been covered somewhere in the preceding 35 pages, but I'm curious as to whether it's possible to rotate in Central or South America even if you don't choose to do the International Health Track. I'm pretty sure I'd rather track in something else, but I think the opportunity for immersion is incredibly important, so I'm wondering how possible it is for Baylor student to pursue that option. Thanks ahead of time!

I know a couple of professors that have been very welcoming to having any student join them, even offering to let me bring my (non-med) spouse, and even if you can't do the entire track I'm sure they would appreciate your assistance on one of their projects. They can especially use help from people who are already pretty bilingual or who can at least make a presentation or discuss certain topics in Spanish. You should take the Overview of International Health elective in your first year (I just finished it) to meet profs, see what they're doing, and decide where your interests lie. If you just want to practice your Spanish, there are so many ways to do that other than through med school, like on vacation or on a mission trip if you have a church connection. I don't know about getting credit or official rotations outside of the track, sorry! Try asking at the Registrar's Office, you can find phone numbers and emails at http://www.bcm.edu/osa/osa-registrar.html

So, do we have to get a MPN if we're getting Stafford and Perkins loans ? The award letter said to wait to recieve communication from BCM about whether or not we do or not. Any help appreciated.

Howdy, I've also gained admission to Baylor, and I'm seriously considering living in the suburbs and commuting 20 minutes to school in the mornings. (I'm familiar with the Houston area.)

Is it common for Baylor students to live relatively far from campus? Does Baylor's rigorous curriculum render it impractical?

Thanks!

I know that when I got Perkins and Stafford for undergrad, I had to sign an MPN. I'm not positive that that's generally the case, but I'd imagine it is for med school as well. Not much help, but it's something:)

hattori_hanzo said:
Howdy, I've also gained admission to Baylor, and I'm seriously considering living in the suburbs and commuting 20 minutes to school in the mornings. (I'm familiar with the Houston area.)

Is it common for Baylor students to live relatively far from campus? Does Baylor's rigorous curriculum render it impractical?

Thanks!

I live in one of the new developments in Pearland, as do several students. Most of them are students with families and kids, but I think there are a few that are single or married with no kids. I love it. The commute isn't bad at all. It takes about 45 minutes in the morning, taking into consideration rush hour, then getting from where you park to class (usually about 15 minutes, unless you're shelling out $10 a day for the garage). During the first year and a half, at least, it's very doable, especially since we have a somewhat light schedule (even though the time we are there is very jam-packed with info). I think during clinics it'll be fine, too, especially when you have to be there at 5am and miss rush hour anyway. You just won't be able to take call from home, though, which classmates who live in the med center might be able to do (but not all of them). Of course, many, many residents live out here, too, so the commute would seem to be conducive to a resident's schedule as well. PM me if you have any more questions.

hi all :oops: i'm going to be looking for a place to buy at the end of may. i was wondering whether i should try to find a complex where a lot of other med students live as well. is it helpful to have them around for studying/hanging out? or is it really easy to just meet up with people elsewhere? i guess i'm asking how much the baylor kids tend to get together and whether i'd be out of the loop if i lived in a random complex with no one else...thanks!

For people with any knowlege about how the waitlist works:
I have seen in the past that people have actually gone in to talk to Dean Michael or maybe it was Dean Bradshaw. I'm guessing that most people who have done this live in Houston which would make it easy to coordinate a meeting. Did you call up and ask the assistant to schedule one if possible? I would have to fly in, but I think that it would be worth it if it had any chance to help me gain admission. If I do this, I also need to try to figure out a good time to travel. Should I wait a week or so after May 15 to see if I am accepted since most movement occurs May 15 to June 15? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

smarmy said:
hi all :oops: i'm going to be looking for a place to buy at the end of may. i was wondering whether i should try to find a complex where a lot of other med students live as well. is it helpful to have them around for studying/hanging out? or is it really easy to just meet up with people elsewhere? i guess i'm asking how much the baylor kids tend to get together and whether i'd be out of the loop if i lived in a random complex with no one else...thanks!

I just bought a place near rice village. I like the neighborhood a lot because it's really safe and there's tons of restaurants and bars. When I went for second look all of the students told me that they hang out in the rice village. I also like that when I meet up with friends I'll be able to walk home and not worry about driving. Most students live in condoland but that area has a ton of crime and there's nothing there but condos. My realtor was amazing. If you want her info PM me.

gomizzou said:
I have seen in the past that people have actually gone in to talk to Dean Michael or maybe it was Dean Bradshaw. I'm guessing that most people who have done this live in Houston which would make it easy to coordinate a meeting. Did you call up and ask the assistant to schedule one if possible? I would have to fly in, but I think that it would be worth it if it had any chance to help me gain admission. If I do this, I also need to try to figure out a good time to travel. Should I wait a week or so after May 15 to see if I am accepted since most movement occurs May 15 to June 15? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

The admissions office told me to email Dr. Michael. I did that about two weeks ago and never received a reply. Calling would probably have been a better idea. Doh.

gomizzou said:

Uh, I don't think I'd go so far as to FLY in to meet with either one. When I went (last year), I met with Dr. Michael. However, it was more of a "hey, I'm going to be in the med center today, could I stop in and talk to Dr. Michael?" I spoke with his assistant, I think, but I got to her just by talking to the woman how answers the admissions office phones (the two of them sit within sight of each other).

Good deal, thanks for all of the suggestions guys. If I flew it would be on frequent flier miles that would expire anyway, so it would be more of a time issue than anything else. I guess I'll try to kick back and wait for a little while before making any decisions.

gomizzou said:
Good deal, thanks for all of the suggestions guys. If I flew it would be on frequent flier miles that would expire anyway, so it would be more of a time issue than anything else. I guess I'll try to kick back and wait for a little while before making any decisions.

Are you going to Michigan as of now?

MadameLULU said:
Are you going to Michigan as of now?
As of right now I am, but I have sent a letter of intent to Baylor so I will withdraw if accepted off of the alternate list. I didn't get a great financial aid package and want to figure out if the $12,000 per year Mich. grant will be for all four years...I can't imagine it getting much lower as I would be taking out a ton of personal loans after maxing out the federal ones each year. I liked Ann Arbor a lot and of course Mich. is a great school, but for some reason Baylor just really stuck out for me and financially it would make a little bit more sense. I like the International Health track a bunch and would have a lot more opportunities to continue working with underserved Latino communities in Houston as well. I am considering Peds so it could possibly make sense to buy a condo or house if I planned on being around for more than four years since their residency program is so strong.
I didn't make it to the Mich. second look weekend. Did you go? If so, what were your thoughts? Have you chosen between Mich. and Baylor yet? I remember seeing on your signature that you loved Mich, would you mind sharing what stuck out for you (feel free to send a pm if you prefer)? I was in kind of a weird situation while I was there so I think my view of the school is skewed, although I can say that everyone there was very friendly and accomadating.
Thanks.

i'm just copying and pasting, this is a result of a survey organized by one of the baylor medstudents (not me), hope it helps, the survey is baylor specific

TIPS FOR STUDY GUIDES
-Try to summarize lectures on a page or less. They really only test the big concepts b/c there is so much material.
- Make your notes each day after lecture, but don't copy them straight out of the syllabus, a summary of each lesson with all the main points in your own words ensures you understood the concepts
- Find old tests, sometimes put on reserve in ERC by Block
- Make your study guides as the block progresses. Making a chart/notecards/etc the night before the exam will not be as helpful as one made over the 6 weeks
- If you decide to study with a person/group, make sure you actually do some work!
- Study the same way that you did in college. It obviously worked
- Use the study guide from the syllabus more than the required reading

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS
Here is a list of books that the Class of 2008 used. The ones in BOLD were owned by most everyone in the class. The other books are included for those who benefit from using books and are not essential.
Block 1: Junqeira, USMLE first aid, USMLE step 1 guide (some students say that a few questions came directly from here), Langmann’s Embryology (good pics), Bates for PPS
Anatomy: New Harveys (updated from syllabus given in class), Netter’s for anatomy (better diagrams/charts), Rohen’s gives labeled pictures of cadavers (pretty much everyone owns either Netter’s or Rohens or both), BRS anatomy for sample questions, Ackland videos available in ERC are very helpful
Blocks 2-3: BRS physiology
Block 4: Cellular and Molecular Immunology
Block 5-6: Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simply
-Use other libraries. Many have books that you can check out rather than buying the textbooks, using them for one block and never looking at them again.
-Buy books ahead of time online to save money

IPS RESOURCES
ERC web resources (on ERC homepage): statref, uptodate.com, Harrison’s online
Webmd.com
PubMed
Mdconsult.com
Emedicine.com
Medlineplus

HOUSING
Use Apartment Locators. They will take you around for free to as many apartments that you want in their own car (so you do not spend the day getting lost).

San Melia: $1265/mo for 2BR/2BA/~1200SF, received 2 mo. free w/special they were having, ended up about $1065/mo
Include transportation options from your location
Bus: 87, nearest bus stop about a 5-7 min. walk (depending on how fast you walk)
Apt. Shuttle: tokens are $0.50 each way, passes once every hour
Overall recommend or avoid: Rate from 5 (best) to 1 (worst)
4: PROS: very nice, pretty new apt.’s, nice office staff, beautiful pool/exercise facility
CONS: walk to/from bus seems long on hot or rainy days

Lanesborough $730 mo
Next year two of us are getting a two bedroom there for about 1100.
Light Rail, AMAZING! (Railpass free provided by Baylor), walk (25 min), bike (10 min)
3-4, the annoyances (bugs, things breaking, mean ladies at the office) are worth the easy access to school, great amenities and location, convenience

Camden Vanderbilt on Buffalo Speedway - $800 for a single 1 bed/1bath
I think they had a discount of $150 off, but it was for everyone, not just med students. It’s a really nice place and the management is wonderful. You put in a request and it gets done that afternoon or next morning.
Metro bus to the metro rail, or the metro bus all the way
5 – I really like living here, but transportation is kind of annoying though…I’d prefer to just take the rail instead of the bus, but it’s okay. I get to school in 30 min. Only about 4-5 people from our current class live here.
Cambridge Court at 8055 Cambridge, I rent a two bedroom condo for $745 a month.
Bus #87 just outside the complex, close enough to bike (10-15 mins) or walk (45 mins).
AMLI apartments- $880 for a two bedroom, two bath. It is a well kept, nice apartment complex. Bus stop about 10 minutes away. Biking to the med center takes about 15 minutes (my preferred method).
I would rate it a 4. It is a really nice apartment that is not too expensive. The only problem is that the bus stop is not right outside the complex.
Parque Del Oro - $760 for the first year which included the discount
(discount at that time was 2 months free prorated over the year)
Shuttle, Bus (but you have to walk a little ways to it)
3, not the most convenient place but the floor plan is really nice if you have a roommate. It's a very generous split plan, but I'm unsure how much the price will go up in the 2nd year. It's a very small complex, and the management is good. Neighbors can get a little loud because most of them go to UH or Rice with some med students, PA students, graduate students, and other people interspersed in between.
Archstone med center: $790/ mo for a 2/1 (850sq ft) not including utilities (around $100 mo), rates vary month to month, check w/ office
Light rail is superconvenient
i love archstone medical center (i heard the other archstones weren't so great), they fix things fast and are very professional. very clean and new. i feel safe and completely at home. no problems at all, Rate it a 5

Versailles Park: $845 mo but $685 w/ 2 months free for 1/1
Transportation: 87 bus is around the corner, 5 minute walk to bus stop
Drive and park near Rice along residential street and walk in, takes 30 minutes total
Rate 4: nice grounds w/ palm trees, excellent price w/ 2 mos free, it seems that in the past 2 mos the people moving in have been questionable

I wouldn’t recommend the Esplanade….I’ve lived there for a year and won’t live there next year….they have not been very customer-friendly and are constantly struggling with crime

**Home: Pearland, Community: Parks at Walnut Bend
$142,000 for brand new home, about 2100 SF, mortgage payments about $1400/mo
Commute: about 50-55 min. total time to drive to Fannin South Park & Ride ($2/day, $35/mo), take metrorail (free for students) and walk to class
Rate 4/5: PROS: great investment, very good for kids (nice community, good school district and schools), much lower crime rate
CONS: commute, probably more expensive per month than renting in Houston (but you are owning it not renting it)

A very spacious 2/1 for 1050 a month (split b/w 2 people), it is a duplex less than a mile from campus located in a quiet, safe neighborhood. It takes me less than 15 minutes to walk to school in the morning. The bike ride would probably be around 5 minutes.

RESTAURANTS
-Café Adobe- 3 dollar margaritas on Mondays,
-Angelica- Cheap Date Night- 5 dollar movie/popcorn/drink- also on Mondays
-Amazon Grill
-Collina’s
-Chocolate Bar
-Two Rows: dollar pint night
-Free brewery tour with samples at saint arnold’s every Saturday.
-Ming’s located at Montrose and Westheimer, best Chinese in town.
-Baba Yega -- healthy yummy food $8-12,
-Chinatown (go to bellaire st., and pick any restaurant you want, explore)
-Istanbul Grill -- the best Turkish/Mediteranean food ever for $6-15
-Empire Café, plates go for $10-$15, they serve a variety of sandwiches, chicken plates, pizzas, a variety of coffee drinks, and awesome slices of cake
-The Red Onion (on Kirby) – great place to take the parents, delicious Central American cuisine and fabulous margaritas! $15-24
-Sushi Rock – $6-8 for lunch special, Thai/Japanese
-Niko Niko's – $7-10, Greek
-Fadi's Mediterranean Grill – $8-10, Mediterranean
-Sinh Sinh – $7-10 a dish, Chinese/Vietnamese
-Mayuri - $10 Lunch buffet, Indian
-BW3/Buffalo Wild Wings – 35 cent wings on Tuesday and 50 cent legs
-Cheesecake Factory – $10-17, Galleria area, good portions compared to other upscale places
-Eatzi's – $5-10, healthy food, not really a restaurant though
-Hungry's in the Village – $8-13, Mediterranean
-La Tapatia on Richmond and Hazard-ish – Open late night, $3-10, Mexican food
-Chacho's – $3-10, open late nights
-Pei Wei: $10 a plate
http://www.myconsumerguide.com/entertainment_guide.htm

COFFEE SHOPS/ STUDY
-Diedrich’s coffee
-Crossroads – coffee
-Salentos
-Café Brazil
-House of Pies on Kirby
-Taft Street Coffee – only coffee and a few pastries, but a great study spot! $2-5.
-Teahouse on Shepherd - $3 a drink, Tapioca

CHILDCARE
Southampton Montessori School, 5012 Morningside, Houston, TX: this school is in the Rice Village, I’ve had my 2 girls here since August and we love it
PROS: Great program, very nice teachers and staff, certified through American Montessori Society, they learn and play a lot, both my girls love it there
CONS: pretty pricey, we pay about $700/mo for each girl
*I know the price is pretty daunting, but I was willing to pay for it because it was the place where I felt I would be most comfortable leaving them and I wouldn’t feel guilty if I had to leave them there a little longer so I could study or do this or that. BTW, Baylor has a daycare expenses allowance that they include in your financial aid package. There’s a ton more I could say about this topic (and any of the other topics), if anyone needs more info., including other childcare options, please email me at [email protected].

more_eschool said:
i'm just copying and pasting, this is a result of a survey organized by one of the baylor medstudents (not me), hope it helps, the survey is baylor specific

TIPS FOR STUDY GUIDES
-Try to summarize lectures on a page or less. They really only test the big concepts b/c there is so much material.
- Make your notes each day after lecture, but don't copy them straight out of the syllabus, a summary of each lesson with all the main points in your own words ensures you understood the concepts
- Make your study guides as the block progresses. Making a chart/notecards/etc the night before the exam will not be as helpful as one made over the 6 weeks
- If you decide to study with a person/group, make sure you actually do some work!

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS
Here is a list of books that the Class of 2008 used. The ones in BOLD were owned by most everyone in the class. The other books are included for those who benefit from using books and are not essential.
Block 1: Junqeira, USMLE first aid, USMLE step 1 guide (some students say that a few questions came directly from here), Langmann’s Embryology (good pics), Bates for PPS
Anatomy: New Harveys (updated from syllabus given in class), Netter’s for anatomy (better diagrams/charts), Rohen’s gives labeled pictures of cadavers (pretty much everyone owns either Netter’s or Rohens or both), BRS anatomy for sample questions, Ackland videos available in ERC are very helpful
-Use other libraries. Many have books that you can check out rather than buying the textbooks, using them for one block and never looking at them again.

IPS RESOURCES
Webmd.com
PubMed
Mdconsult.com
Emedicine.com
Medlineplus

HOUSING
Use Apartment Locators. They will take you around for free to as many apartments that you want in their own car (so you do not spend the day getting lost).

San Melia: $1265/mo for 2BR/2BA/~1200SF, received 2 mo. free w/special they were having, ended up about $1065/mo
Bus: 87, nearest bus stop about a 5-7 min. walk (depending on how fast you walk)
4: PROS: very nice, pretty new apt.’s, nice office staff, beautiful pool/exercise facility

Lanesborough $730 mo
Light Rail, AMAZING! (Railpass free provided by Baylor), walk (25 min), bike (10 min)
3-4, the annoyances (bugs, things breaking, mean ladies at the office) are worth the easy access to school, great amenities and location, convenience

I think they had a discount of $150 off, but it was for everyone, not just med students. It’s a really nice place and the management is wonderful. You put in a request and it gets done that afternoon or next morning.
5 – I really like living here, but transportation is kind of annoying though…I’d prefer to just take the rail instead of the bus, but it’s okay. I get to school in 30 min. Only about 4-5 people from our current class live here.
Bus #87 just outside the complex, close enough to bike (10-15 mins) or walk (45 mins).
AMLI apartments- $880 for a two bedroom, two bath. It is a well kept, nice apartment complex. Bus stop about 10 minutes away. Biking to the med center takes about 15 minutes (my preferred method).
I would rate it a 4. It is a really nice apartment that is not too expensive. The only problem is that the bus stop is not right outside the complex.
3, not the most convenient place but the floor plan is really nice if you have a roommate. It's a very generous split plan, but I'm unsure how much the price will go up in the 2nd year. It's a very small complex, and the management is good. Neighbors can get a little loud because most of them go to UH or Rice with some med students, PA students, graduate students, and other people interspersed in between.
Archstone med center: $790/ mo for a 2/1 (850sq ft) not including utilities (around $100 mo), rates vary month to month, check w/ office
i love archstone medical center (i heard the other archstones weren't so great), they fix things fast and are very professional. very clean and new. i feel safe and completely at home. no problems at all, Rate it a 5

Drive and park near Rice along residential street and walk in, takes 30 minutes total
Rate 4: nice grounds w/ palm trees, excellent price w/ 2 mos free, it seems that in the past 2 mos the people moving in have been questionable

I wouldn’t recommend the Esplanade….I’ve lived there for a year and won’t live there next year….they have not been very customer-friendly and are constantly struggling with crime

Commute: about 50-55 min. total time to drive to Fannin South Park & Ride ($2/day, $35/mo), take metrorail (free for students) and walk to class
Rate 4/5: PROS: great investment, very good for kids (nice community, good school district and schools), much lower crime rate
CONS: commute, probably more expensive per month than renting in Houston (but you are owning it not renting it)

A very spacious 2/1 for 1050 a month (split b/w 2 people), it is a duplex less than a mile from campus located in a quiet, safe neighborhood. It takes me less than 15 minutes to walk to school in the morning. The bike ride would probably be around 5 minutes.

RESTAURANTS
-Amazon Grill
-Collina’s
-Chocolate Bar
-Empire Café, plates go for $10-$15, they serve a variety of sandwiches, chicken plates, pizzas, a variety of coffee drinks, and awesome slices of cake
-The Red Onion (on Kirby) – great place to take the parents, delicious Central American cuisine and fabulous margaritas! $15-24
-Cheesecake Factory – $10-17, Galleria area, good portions compared to other upscale places

COFFEE SHOPS/ STUDY
-Diedrich’s coffee
-Crossroads – coffee
-Salentos
-Café Brazil
-House of Pies on Kirby
-Taft Street Coffee – only coffee and a few pastries, but a great study spot! $2-5.

CHILDCARE
Southampton Montessori School, 5012 Morningside, Houston, TX: this school is in the Rice Village, I’ve had my 2 girls here since August and we love it
PROS: Great program, very nice teachers and staff, certified through American Montessori Society, they learn and play a lot, both my girls love it there
*I know the price is pretty daunting, but I was willing to pay for it because it was the place where I felt I would be most comfortable leaving them and I wouldn’t feel guilty if I had to leave them there a little longer so I could study or do this or that. BTW, Baylor has a daycare expenses allowance that they include in your financial aid package. There’s a ton more I could say about this topic (and any of the other topics), if anyone needs more info., including other childcare options, please email me at [email protected].

Thanks for the info.

do any out-of-state students have any thoughts on what it is like to be out-of-state at baylor? i assume it's not a huge deal, but i'd appreciate any comments. :oops:

more_eschool said:

TIPS FOR STUDY GUIDES

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS

IPS RESOURCES
Webmd.com
PubMed
Mdconsult.com
Emedicine.com
Medlineplus

HOUSING

Lanesborough $730 mo

RESTAURANTS
-Amazon Grill
-Collina’s
-Chocolate Bar

COFFEE SHOPS/ STUDY
-Diedrich’s coffee
-Crossroads – coffee
-Salentos
-Café Brazil
-House of Pies on Kirby

CHILDCARE

cheap date night at the angelika costs six dollars.

Has anyone received their financial aid package from Baylor yet?

Just had our new Student Lounge opening ... the remodel is so comfy and nice!

Any burning questions?

Everyone here is gearing up for their PRN groups, getting pretty excited, planning activities. See you REAL soon! :D

i have a burning albeit serious question: do i need my lab googles in med school or do i get to sacrifice them to the dumpster god? also, same question as above for my orgo book :)