Official Baylor College of Medicine entering class 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IndyZX said:
Yeah, I did interview with him. He seemed nice enough, he was just very serious and I was never able to feel totally comfortable like with some of my other interviewers. I think it went ok, though.

I have never interviewed with him, but he goes over to Rice alot. When I talked to him one summer he did seem really dry. But the second time around he was really nice.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, a lot of Baylor kids are Rice alums (as a lot of Duke Med kids are former Dukies; same holds true for HMS and P&S). Schools like to recruit their own, to some extent, and their own tend to apply in greater percentages...

I dunno - I feel like, unless you're purposefully not selecting them, most med schools will have a lot of kids from middle class/upper middle class backgrounds, and probably a lot of doctors' kids, just because they're disproportinately represented in the applicant pool. That said, there are plenty of people here on financial aid and plenty of people who are counting pennies - I don't think any of us are "rich" enough to have whatever we want.

BTW, I'm sure y'all are obsessing over the new rankings, so I might as well say this - because I've been dying all night to test this joke out. You know that Traber's jumping up and down because Cornell fell below Baylor this year (although UCLA leapfrogged us, so it's essentially a wash). Still, these rankings are more accurate, I feel - except my alma mater and Baylor are still underrated. Oh well.

Just imagine next year, when our research funding is back to its usual meteoric levels... (leveled off last two years because of the hurricane recovery; I actually expected our ranking to take a hit this year, and I am pleasantly surprised that it did not).

who cares about the makeup of rich kids vs not.

1) Most elite medical schools are based on pedigree and thus this would be the downside of attending an elite medical school

2) how would rich kids effect you personally?

3) Rice is much more diverse and not as snobby as say the Ivy's

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm currently at Rice, but am a Rice/Baylor student, and will be coming to Baylor in Fall 2008.
Congrats to all of you on your acceptance! This must be such an exciting time in your life.
I'm looking forward to meeting you; by that time you'll be seniors and can show me the ropes! :)
Enjoy your first year!

Jenn

PS. Not all Rice students are rich! Sigh...

Anyone sent the check yet?
I seem to have misplaced my acceptance envelope but I think it's $300 to BCM right? Good thing I mailed that letter immediately.

What other stuff is there on the checklist? Mail final transcript, FAFSA/Financial Aid forms, etc?

JenB said:
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm currently at Rice, but am a Rice/Baylor student, and will be coming to Baylor in Fall 2008.
Congrats to all of you on your acceptance! This must be such an exciting time in your life.
I'm looking forward to meeting you; by that time you'll be seniors and can show me the ropes! :)
Enjoy your first year!

Jenn

PS. Not all Rice students are rich! Sigh...

The only thing I've noticed that the Rice kids have in common is that they are FREAKIN' BRILLIANT. About half think they are, but at least they're right!

I love my class. Don't worry about snobbery or reverse snobbery; once you get in the trenches with people we're all the same shade of green ... nauseated with exhaustion, wearing scrubs! Nah, it's not that bad :) but it is a bonding experience!

I won't see ya in '08, but welcome!

redbeans said:
Anyone sent the check yet?
I seem to have misplaced my acceptance envelope but I think it's $300 to BCM right? Good thing I mailed that letter immediately.

What other stuff is there on the checklist? Mail final transcript, FAFSA/Financial Aid forms, etc?

haven't sent the check yet, but isn't it $100 or $150?
the class of 2009 website has all the financial aid forms, and i think the ossfp has already started processing applications. don't forget health/immunization requirements. those forms are also on the web (make sure a doctor's signature accompanies immuno forms).
find a home!! i really really really want to buy a condo, but have no money (thank you, americorps). any current students have opinions/experiences? student loans to pay for mortgage? best condo locations, etc?

I'm one of the out-of-staters who is interested in buying a condo for in-state tuition purposes. I spoke with Stephanie Tefas, the lady a Baylor who is supposed to help students with this sort of thing, and she made the following comment: As the law stands now out-of-staters have to own property and live in it for a year in order to be elligible for TX residency. She also said that this year the legislature is in session and that there are proposals to change the residency requirement.

I asked her what she meant by that and she said they would know more in May if changes are going to be made. I tried to find out if this year's proposals were any different from other years and she was very vague. She said that they have come up before, but that this year the legislature is meeting unlike last year. Apparently the legislature is only in session every other year or something like that? Maybe I misunderstood, I don't know. Anyway, I guess I am curious if any Baylor students or TX people have heard about this or talked to someone at Baylor about it. During the interview day, people seemed to think it wouldn't be a problem. I hope that is still the case. I want to be a TX resident!

jdovez said:
OK so me and my gf checked out:
Lanesborough
Greenbriar
Kirby Providence
Kirby Place
Camden Vanderbilt

The first two are on the metro line, the other three are farther but have shuttles (Kirby's are 50 cents per ride and every 30 minutes, not sure about the Camden). All of them were pretty nice. We didn't like the layout of the Lanesborough apartments. It seemed as though they (1 BR) were designed by children (doors would open into each other, no wall space in LR, etc.). There is a randalls and B&N literally next to the camden (which my gf really liked), the Camden also had 2 "lakes" and another pool. The landscaping was awesome.

The kirby providence is next to the other kirby. The providence has some weird long hallways that were dark (outside apts), that we were not fond of. Also, the prices of the Place apts were considerably cheaper right now for larger apartments. With that said, the layout of the Providence apartments was very nice (good wall space for tv opposite sofa, good visibility from kitchen to LR/DR areas).

Oh yeah, the Lanesborough has an excellent rec facility. They have a half court bball court inside, a racquetball court and some weight machines/cardio. The weights were older though.

All of the places had adequate cardio + some free weights + some machines which varied in number/type/age. The cardio included at least 1 treadmill, elliptical and bike, but usually was 2+ of each per complex. They all also have at least 1 pool which varied in size and scenery.

The last apartment was the Greenbriar. That is the one that we will most likely be leasing if we stay in Houston. We loved the layout, the cost was a bit high, but not insurmountable. Also, some apartments (3rd floors) include a spiral staircase up to an adequate study loft. These apartments also include large bay windows. The complex is very close to the rail line (2-3 stops to any part of TMC) or probably about a 20-30 minute walk. Also, houston drainage is sometimes a problem, but there is a huge drain canal the size of a small river that flows near this complex.

Most of these also had a parking garage + free open parking + low cost covered parking. The parking at Greenbriar seemed very crowded.
Also, in the Kirby Place apts, they have free movie rentals of about 75 movies they get per month.

Oh yeah, at the Camden they also have a mini movie room (complete with movie seating) where you can watch films or rent it out after hours to watch.

Those are the random thoughts I have after seeing 5 complexes in about 4 hours. If you have specific questions please ask. I also noticed on some websites that they suggest you can get $200-$500 refunded if you use the locators name. Not sure if they are all kosher or not, but if anyone knows please let me know.

Be careful of Kirby Place! It may look nice on the outside, but they were having a serious rat problem not too long ago!

musicman1991 said:
who cares about the makeup of rich kids vs not.

1) Most elite medical schools are based on pedigree and thus this would be the downside of attending an elite medical school

2) how would rich kids effect you personally?

3) Rice is much more diverse and not as snobby as say the Ivy's

Right, that's why rice's percentage of african americans attending is in the single digits while harvard's is in double digits.

curlycity said:
The only thing I've noticed that the Rice kids have in common is that they are FREAKIN' BRILLIANT. About half think they are, but at least they're right!

I love my class. Don't worry about snobbery or reverse snobbery; once you get in the trenches with people we're all the same shade of green ... nauseated with exhaustion, wearing scrubs! Nah, it's not that bad :) but it is a bonding experience!

I won't see ya in '08, but welcome!

Are you from Rice?
If so what college?

riceman04 said:
Right, that's why rice's percentage of african americans attending is in the single digits while harvard's is in double digits.

Well, there are other factors involved: First of all, Rice is also 50% Texans, does that mean they discriminate against people not from Texas? Of course not. Why not compare Rice vs. Emory vs Duke (southern schools which are less likely to attract people from the West Coast or East Coast)

How does Rice's Hispanic population compare to others? Probably a lot more (I believe they were ranked very high by some Hispanic magazine for diversity). Don't forget to factor in the geographic preference of applicants.

Forget about ethinic diversity, why not focus on socioeconomic diversity. Many of the minorities at Harvard are still rich and priviledged. I'd argue that (anecdotally of course) many of my Caucasian friends were not all rich.

Anyways this all doesn't amtter. This is why med schools have all these programs to attract URM. So don't complain when they get the free trip to revisit the school.

riceman04 said:
Are you from Rice?
If so what college?

No, but thanks :) I meant my friends from class here at Baylor that are from Rice. I think most everyone admitted to our class is pretty excellent. The more people you meet in life, the less you use the more common stereotype filters to judge groups, which frees you to appreciate individuals based on their unique experiences and skills. Having been part of groups in the past where I was the poorest, the richest, the smartest, the least intelligent, or 'different' in some other way, I have to say, no one likes a negative stereotype applied to them, so that's why I was sticking up for them as individuals.

[back to studying ID ... not enjoying newfound fear of staph ...]

Members don't see this ad :)
Riceman -
What college were (are?) you at?
I'm at Lovett.

Another thing about diversity: if you care about equal opportunity in Texas, check out high school graduation rates, especially by ethnicity; it's quite a sad story. That's why I particularly enjoy participating in Baylor's outreach programs for the kids in Houston, e.g. Saturday Morning Science, which is a pilot program this year and will be well underway when y'all get here. There are also magnet high schools, which I don't know anything about, not being a local. We can individually make a difference by helping to ensure all children, of all SES and ethnic backgrounds, have a fair chance at getting in the pipeline, whether that's by participating in their healthcare and reducing teen pregnancy, abuse, etc., or by lobbying for better public school systems and better handling of our kids by the justice / welfare system. The problems of inequality are complex, and if our focus gets too narrow (those naughty adcoms!) we're distracted from the major scope of the problem.

[Can you tell I'm not enthused about studying ID? sheesh!]

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cr_baeo_t1.htm
http://www.unitedhealthfoundation.org/shr2002/states/Texas.html
http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/c2kbr-24.pdf

So I think I told you 09'ers and undecideds about Charity Ball ... it's this Saturday! Should be awesome ... last year they raised $30K for charity :thumbup: Time to refresh my backwards waltzing skills. Will share details after I get to go to my first one :)

curlycity said:
So I think I told you 09'ers and undecideds about Charity Ball ... it's this Saturday! Should be awesome ... last year they raised $30K for charity :thumbup: Time to refresh my backwards waltzing skills. Will share details after I get to go to my first one :)

Curly, that was far too many posts in one hour. Get back to studying your anaerobes!

ms. a said:
Curly, that was far too many posts in one hour. Get back to studying your anaerobes!
I agree wholeheartedly :p

question for the veterans of this thread. :)

my friends going to baylor next year are signing (or have already signed) a lease for an apt at lanesborough. i was thinking of getting an apt there too. I haven't looked at it yet, but do you think there'll be vacancies in june (when i'll most probably be in houston actively looking at apartments) or should i try to take a look at it when i'm there this weekend?

does anyone have any apartment complex recommendations for me? i'm looking to rent a one bedroom near the metro rail, near the med center and am willing to pay $700-$800 for a nice place (with washer/dryer/dishwasher in unit). I guess Lanesborough fits that description, b/c i looked at it online. does anyone know of any other places which are similar to it and where other baylor students live too?

thanks in advance and look forward to meeting some of you this weekend! ;)

riverie said:
question for the veterans of this thread. :)

my friends going to baylor next year are signing (or have already signed) a lease for an apt at lanesborough. i was thinking of getting an apt there too. I haven't looked at it yet, but do you think there'll be vacancies in june (when i'll most probably be in houston actively looking at apartments) or should i try to take a look at it when i'm there this weekend?

does anyone have any apartment complex recommendations for me? i'm looking to rent a one bedroom near the metro rail, near the med center and am willing to pay $700-$800 for a nice place (with washer/dryer/dishwasher in unit). I guess Lanesborough fits that description, b/c i looked at it online. does anyone know of any other places which are similar to it and where other baylor students live too?

thanks in advance and look forward to meeting some of you this weekend! ;)

Hey buddy.....I did an exhaustive search of many apartment complexes in the area. I have decided that if I stay in houston, I will sign on at the Greenbriar. It is virtually as close to the med center as lanesborough, it is on the rail, and it is a relatively short walk to the med center (about 15-20 min depending on your speed). I found a largish (~770ish sq ft) apt there for $750 a month. I love the place especially b/c the office people seem genuinely kind and because of the other factors listed (which were also important to my g/f and I). If you have any specific questions please ask. I currently work in the med center and have walked to the complex (1 day the metro wasn't working because it had just hit a car which is an all too common occurence). In any event, I hated the design of the LR in the lanesborough. It was central and had a fireplace, but unfortunately that made layout (ie sofa across from tv both on a wall) impossible. If you don't mind something off the metro, I have considered the Gates at Hermann Park. Its ultra nice and new and they have great specials. It is not convenient via "mass" transit though. Good luck.

Anyone looking at Alta Lofts? Seem to have awesome pre-construction specials going.

Where are they located exactly? The address given puts them right on Hermann Circle.

What areas of BCM/TCM are free wireless internet (Wi-Fi)?

musicman1991 said:
Anyone looking at Alta Lofts? Seem to have awesome pre-construction specials going.

Where are they located exactly? The address given puts them right on Hermann Circle.

I hadn't heard of those before, but I visited their website (http://www.altalofts.com/index.htm). I think they are east of the TMC on Almeda. What specials do they have going on? Do you know when they are going to be open?

Oh, and in case you guys haven't checked out the BCM website lately, they've posted more information regarding White Coat/Family Day. http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2009/

umm so also..

i am excited excited excited..i did check the newest update off the c/o 2009 website. good good stuff. alta lofts..look nice. question about computers. i know we have $$ in our budgets to buy/update a laptop./. does it matter if it's an apple? does anyone know?

~L

Does anyone know anything about the Riverwalk condos, on Old Spanish Trail across the street from the VA hospital?
Thanks!

some current BCM students told me they have apples and they work fine, except you might need a PC emulator to run the program that lets you view and fast-forward the videotaped lectures from the web.

I really like the powerbooks...but they're pricey...

is anybody going to the dinner for accepted applicants at the warwick next Wednesday?

is anybody from Hanszen at Rice? ;)

would any kind soul be able to host me for a night on Saturday? I'm flying into houston saturday afternoon and my host can only host me for sunday night. i realize it's the charity ball, but i'll be good and just stay indoors and keep myself entertained - this girl just needs a place to sleep! i'm friendly and i don't bite. :)

would preferably like a female host... if all fails, i'll just stay at the holiday inn. :p

riverie said:
would any kind soul be able to host me for a night on Saturday? I'm flying into houston saturday afternoon and my host can only host me for sunday night. i realize it's the charity ball, but i'll be good and just stay indoors and keep myself entertained - this girl just needs a place to sleep! i'm friendly and i don't bite. :)

would preferably like a female host... if all fails, i'll just stay at the holiday inn. :p

congrats to all the acceptees, baylors the bestest school ever!!!

musicman1991 said:

They are right next to the Gates at Hermann Park. There is a lot of construction going on with them and across the street currently (that part of almeda is cut to 1 lane going each way on that side of the park for now. They are pretty close, but I don't think there is much consistent "public" transportation from there to the center (I know the gates has a shuttle that runs in the morning and afternoon (rush hours). Its actually on the side of the park just past the golf course, so I do not think it would be easy to cut through the park walking (or perhaps even biking). That's just what I gathered when I was looking over there.

jdovez said:
They are right next to the Gates at Hermann Park. There is a lot of construction going on with them and across the street currently (that part of almeda is cut to 1 lane going each way on that side of the park for now. They are pretty close, but I don't think there is much consistent "public" transportation from there to the center (I know the gates has a shuttle that runs in the morning and afternoon (rush hours). Its actually on the side of the park just past the golf course, so I do not think it would be easy to cut through the park walking (or perhaps even biking). That's just what I gathered when I was looking over there.

Yeah they look awesome from the pictures. However, location seems to be far from Fannin and Main St.

musicman1991 said:
Yeah they look awesome from the pictures. However, location seems to be far from Fannin and Main St.

Walking, yes, it is far from those streets.

generic said:
some current BCM students told me they have apples and they work fine, except you might need a PC emulator to run the program that lets you view and fast-forward the videotaped lectures from the web.

I really like the powerbooks...but they're pricey...

is anybody going to the dinner for accepted applicants at the warwick next Wednesday?

is anybody from Hanszen at Rice? ;)

NOW YOU KNOW HANSZEN IS THE WORST COLLEGE!
Congrats on your acceptance!

musicman1991 said:
Well, there are other factors involved: First of all, Rice is also 50% Texans, does that mean they discriminate against people not from Texas? Of course not. Why not compare Rice vs. Emory vs Duke (southern schools which are less likely to attract people from the West Coast or East Coast)

How does Rice's Hispanic population compare to others? Probably a lot more (I believe they were ranked very high by some Hispanic magazine for diversity). Don't forget to factor in the geographic preference of applicants.

Forget about ethinic diversity, why not focus on socioeconomic diversity. Many of the minorities at Harvard are still rich and priviledged. I'd argue that (anecdotally of course) many of my Caucasian friends were not all rich.

Anyways this all doesn't amtter. This is why med schools have all these programs to attract URM. So don't complain when they get the free trip to revisit the school.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute!
I was only refering to your third point, which in my eyes has nothing to do with medical schools. I was arguing based on my experience at Rice as an African-American male. Believe me, it was difficult being one of only 32 in my class that entered in 2000.
And how do you know that the majority of AA's at Harvard are rich and priviledged? Last time I checked (when I was on the affirmative action committee at Rice) the number of qualified AA's they successfully recruited, who were socially disadvantaged, greatly outnumbered those minorities who could afford to attend without help. Why don't you ask Victor Udoewa (he's still at Rice as a grad student, but he completed his undergrad at Harvard)! Rice's percentage of AA's attending is much lower b/c of the Hopwood decision. If you are from the south you should be familiar with the details. This decision prohibited any schools under the jurisdiction of a specific circuit court (I 4get which one) to use any race based factors in their admission process.
So, back to my point: I was only commenting on your third point!

Anyways, congrats on your acceptance!!!!
Just know that Martel is the best college!!!!!!!! :laugh:

cya!

jdovez said:

If you wanted to bike from Gates or Alta, you'd have to head north just a bit on Almeda to North MacGregor, then cross the street and take the trail past the golf course (FORE!) down to MacGregor & Moursund, then you'd take a right into the med center, cruise around the corner to the R at Bertner, and you'd be right in front of Baylor! I'd say, about 15 minutes' ride, probably 20 total from door-to-door.

The construction there is evil. Boo new utilities lines! :rolleyes:

curlycity said:
If you wanted to bike from Gates or Alta, you'd have to head north just a bit on Almeda to North MacGregor, then cross the street and take the trail past the golf course (FORE!) down to MacGregor & Moursund, then you'd take a right into the med center, cruise around the corner to the R at Bertner, and you'd be right in front of Baylor! I'd say, about 15 minutes' ride, probably 20 total from door-to-door.

Thats too bad. Im going down to houston sunday to check out places, and the gates and alta lofts were on my list to check out, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble to get to school each day, so they're now crossed off the list.Thanks for the info.

latinfridley said:
Thats too bad. Im going down to houston sunday to check out places, and the gates and alta lofts were on my list to check out, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble to get to school each day, so they're now crossed off the list.Thanks for the info.

Well, maybe if you have some free time you could still swing by, because it really is a lovely ride through the park, and shady. As in trees, not loitering criminals. I didn't mean it to sound negative :) there are several of us in class that do the 15 min bike ride ... it would take me longer to drive down 4 levels of parking garage from my apartment, sit in traffic, and get up to the 14th level of the parking garage I think :)

BUT if you can find an apartment on a bus route or with a RELIABLE shuttle, definitely go with that, because then you'll have multiple transportation options.

Back to unwilling studying ... boo neisseria ...

curlycity said:

Why couldn't you just take Hermann Drive to Fannin or Main and bike from there?

curlycity said:
Well, maybe if you have some free time you could still swing by, because it really is a lovely ride through the park, and shady. As in trees, not loitering criminals. I didn't mean it to sound negative :) there are several of us in class that do the 15 min bike ride ... it would take me longer to drive down 4 levels of parking garage from my apartment, sit in traffic, and get up to the 14th level of the parking garage I think :)

BUT if you can find an apartment on a bus route or with a RELIABLE shuttle, definitely go with that, because then you'll have multiple transportation options.

Back to unwilling studying ... boo neisseria ...

i think its really healthy to bike-ride, but it sometimes gets a little too hot during the summer

MadameLULU said:
Why couldn't you just take Hermann Drive to Fannin or Main and bike from there?

From Alta or Gates, that's a longer way around the park (Hermann is north of MacGregor, then all the way west to Fannin or Main), and more stops / lights/crazy drivers. I also refuse to ride my bike on the busy main streets during rush hour, on grounds of self-preservation, so using the trail is good and the med center via Moursund is a low-traffic area, plus you don't really have to compete with pedestrians if you choose the sidewalk. There are a lot of people walking and driving into the med center via Fannin and Main.

Hope this helps :)

curlycity said:
From Alta or Gates, that's a longer way around the park (Hermann is north of MacGregor, then all the way west to Fannin or Main), and more stops / lights/crazy drivers. I also refuse to ride my bike on the busy main streets during rush hour, on grounds of self-preservation, so using the trail is good and the med center via Moursund is a low-traffic area, plus you don't really have to compete with pedestrians if you choose the sidewalk. There are a lot of people walking and driving into the med center via Fannin and Main.

Hope this helps :)

I agree with the route. When I was considering the Gates this was going to be my walking route, but I can't see it taking more than 20-25 minutes walking which I would have thought would only be about 10 minutes biking, but what do I know. I refuse to ride a bike. Anyway, the Gates were REALLY nice (in my opinion anyway), and had great prices. The only negatives from our visit was the lack of a continuous shuttle (though they have one for parts of the day). They also have a pool table and all of the apartment clusters are linked to the parking garages and they have an elevator. I am still considering living there and driving to the metro. Its a bit of a convoluted way of getting to the tmc, but we really liked the gates. We also found a site which suggests that crime (against cars mainly) seems to be up over the last few years:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/TX-Houston-Gates-at-Hermann-Park.html

Best of luck in your respective hunts.

jdovez said:
I agree with the route. When I was considering the Gates this was going to be my walking route, but I can't see it taking more than 20-25 minutes walking which I would have thought would only be about 10 minutes biking, but what do I know. I refuse to ride a bike. Anyway, the Gates were REALLY nice (in my opinion anyway), and had great prices. The only negatives from our visit was the lack of a continuous shuttle (though they have one for parts of the day). They also have a pool table and all of the apartment clusters are linked to the parking garages and they have an elevator. I am still considering living there and driving to the metro. Its a bit of a convoluted way of getting to the tmc, but we really liked the gates. We also found a site which suggests that crime (against cars mainly) seems to be up over the last few years:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/TX-Houston-Gates-at-Hermann-Park.html

Best of luck in your respective hunts.

There have definitely been an ongoing rash of 20-cars-in-one-night hit in parking garages of the nice apartment complexes around here ... a girl in my class had her four wheels stolen, and they left the car up on blocks. Rude! This was on the 4th floor of the parking garage in my building, where I also park. She bought some locking lug nuts. Other people had windows broken out and things stolen from inside the cars. Absolute must - don't leave anything visible inside the car. But the car next to ours had the glove box broken into, so either they had some X-Ray vision going or were just being sporadic.

These places are sort of magnets for this kind of hit-and-run theft, but the complex itself is still fairly secure. Luckily Texas allows concealed handguns in case things get hairy (so far, I'm still kidding...).

you know how the metrorail is involved in an accident with an illegally left-turning driver every other day?

has this actually ever prevented BCM students/med center employees from getting to work?

just wondering...

curlycity said:
Luckily Texas allows concealed handguns in case things get hairy (so far, I'm still kidding...).

Yeah, it would be really nice if your neighbor had left their gun in the glovebox, eh? Gotta love Texas.

curlycity said:
There have definitely been an ongoing rash of 20-cars-in-one-night hit in parking garages of the nice apartment complexes around here ... a girl in my class had her four wheels stolen, and they left the car up on blocks. Rude! This was on the 4th floor of the parking garage in my building, where I also park. She bought some locking lug nuts. Other people had windows broken out and things stolen from inside the cars. Absolute must - don't leave anything visible inside the car. But the car next to ours had the glove box broken into, so either they had some X-Ray vision going or were just being sporadic.

These places are sort of magnets for this kind of hit-and-run theft, but the complex itself is still fairly secure. Luckily Texas allows concealed handguns in case things get hairy (so far, I'm still kidding...).

Geez, now I am rethinking my decision to live in the medical center area. Seems to have the same problems as Midtown. I thought it would be safer there, but seems like cars are getting jacked there too. I drive an Acura TL too! Those auto thieves love them.

Im floatin around the idea of getting a roomate to live with in the BCM area. Anyone interested in tryin to get a 2+BR place down near the med center area?

What apartments were hit?

I'm on the waitlists at the Greenbriar and the Maroneal.

redbeans said:
What apartments were hit?

I'm on the waitlists at the Greenbriar and the Maroneal.

Is the Maroneal still ridiculously expensive? Im on at the Greenbriar and liked the location, the maroneal was in a very swanky area and the prices seemed a bit.....high.

To whom should I address a Letter of Intent? I figure I will only be writing one so I want to make it count! Thanks guys and gals.

How is the gym at Baylor? Is it worth joining? Not that expensive, decent hours. Or is it better to join a commercial gym?