Official Baylor College of Medicine entering class 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the deal with the Baylor waitlists? Does anyone know? Thanks in advance for any and all info.

Members don't see this ad.

So far on this thread no one has been accepted off of the waitlist, but someone contacted the office and they said that the list was moving. Haven't seen any numbers about how many people are on the list or how many should expect to be accepted off of the list. Good luck to you.

riverie said:
Distribution of BCM students in Houston:

Archstone Brompton Ct. - latinfridley
Cardboard Box under 59 - SteveUTexas
Lanesborough - Go-Spurs, CalicoKat, riverie
The Valencia - ut_stephen
Greenbriar - redbeans

Has anyone not found a place/or roomate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an MS1 at Baylor. My class did a survey for the incoming class that included places that currents students live. The admissions staff should have posted this list on your class website. Is anyone aware of this addition? If not, I will post the information on this thread.

makesomerheum said:
I am an MS1 at Baylor. My class did a survey for the incoming class that included places that currents students live. The admissions staff should have posted this list on your class website. Is anyone aware of this addition? If not, I will post the information on this thread.

nope, it's not on the class website. please post!

Here is the information that our class collected.

TIPS FOR STUDY GUIDES
-Try to summarize lectures on a page or less. They really only test the big concepts b/c there is so much material.
-Make your notes each day after lecture, but don't copy them straight out of the syllabus, a summary of each lesson with all the main points in your own words ensures you understood the concepts
-Find old tests, sometimes put on reserve in ERC by Block
-Make your study guides as the block progresses. Making a chart/notecards/etc the night before the exam will not be as helpful as one made over the 6 weeks
-If you decide to study with a person/group, make sure you actually do some work!
-Study the same way that you did in college. It obviously worked
-Use the study guide from the syllabus more than the required reading

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS
Here is a list of books that the Class of 2008 used. The ones in BOLD were owned by most everyone in the class. The other books are included for those who benefit from using books and are not essential.
Block 1: Junqeira, USMLE first aid, USMLE step 1 guide (some students say that a few questions came directly from here), Langmann’s Embryology (good pics), Bates for PPS
Anatomy: New Harveys (updated from syllabus given in class), Netter’s for anatomy (better diagrams/charts), Rohen’s gives labeled pictures of cadavers (pretty much everyone owns either Netter’s or Rohens or both), BRS anatomy for sample questions, Ackland videos available in ERC are very helpful
Blocks 2-3: BRS physiology
Block 4: Cellular and Molecular Immunology
Block 5-6: Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simply
-Use other libraries. Many have books that you can check out rather than buying the textbooks, using them for one block and never looking at them again.
-Buy books ahead of time online to save money

IPS RESOURCES
ERC web resources (on ERC homepage): statref, uptodate.com, Harrison’s online
Webmd.com
PubMed
Mdconsult.com
Emedicine.com
Medlineplus

HOUSING
Use Apartment Locators. They will take you around for free to as many apartments that you want in their own car (so you do not spend the day getting lost).

San Melia: $1265/mo for 2BR/2BA/~1200SF, received 2 mo. free w/special they were having, ended up about $1065/mo
Include transportation options from your location
Bus: 87, nearest bus stop about a 5-7 min. walk (depending on how fast you walk)
Apt. Shuttle: tokens are $0.50 each way, passes once every hour
Overall recommend or avoid: Rate from 5 (best) to 1 (worst)
4: PROS: very nice, pretty new apt.’s, nice office staff, beautiful pool/exercise facility
CONS: walk to/from bus seems long on hot or rainy days

Lanesborough $730 mo
Next year two of us are getting a two bedroom there for about 1100.
Light Rail, AMAZING! (Railpass free provided by Baylor), walk (25 min), bike (10 min)
3-4, the annoyances (bugs, things breaking, mean ladies at the office) are worth the easy access to school, great amenities and location, convenience

Camden Vanderbilt on Buffalo Speedway - $800 for a single 1 bed/1bath
I think they had a discount of $150 off, but it was for everyone, not just med students. It’s a really nice place and the management is wonderful. You put in a request and it gets done that afternoon or next morning.
Metro bus to the metro rail, or the metro bus all the way
5 – I really like living here, but transportation is kind of annoying though…I’d prefer to just take the rail instead of the bus, but it’s okay. I get to school in 30 min. Only about 4-5 people from our current class live here.

Cambridge Court at 8055 Cambridge, I rent a two bedroom condo for $745 a month.
Bus #87 just outside the complex, close enough to bike (10-15 mins) or walk (45 mins).

AMLI apartments- $880 for a two bedroom, two bath. It is a well kept, nice apartment complex. Bus stop about 10 minutes away. Biking to the med center takes about 15 minutes (my preferred method).
I would rate it a 4. It is a really nice apartment that is not too expensive. The only problem is that the bus stop is not right outside the complex.

Parque Del Oro - $760 for the first year which included the discount
(discount at that time was 2 months free prorated over the year)
Shuttle, Bus (but you have to walk a little ways to it)
3, not the most convenient place but the floor plan is really nice if you have a roommate. It's a very generous split plan, but I'm unsure how much the price will go up in the 2nd year. It's a very small complex, and the management is good. Neighbors can get a little loud because most of them go to UH or Rice with some med students, PA students, graduate students, and other people interspersed in between.

Archstone med center: $790/ mo for a 2/1 (850sq ft) not including utilities (around $100 mo), rates vary month to month, check w/ office
Light rail is superconvenient
i love archstone medical center (i heard the other archstones weren't so great), they fix things fast and are very professional. very clean and new. i feel safe and completely at home. no problems at all, Rate it a 5

Versailles Park: $845 mo but $685 w/ 2 months free for 1/1
Transportation: 87 bus is around the corner, 5 minute walk to bus stop
Drive and park near Rice along residential street and walk in, takes 30 minutes total
Rate 4: nice grounds w/ palm trees, excellent price w/ 2 mos free, it seems that in the past 2 mos the people moving in have been questionable

**Home: Pearland, Community: Parks at Walnut Bend
$142,000 for brand new home, about 2100 SF, mortgage payments about $1400/mo
Commute: about 50-55 min. total time to drive to Fannin South Park & Ride ($2/day, $35/mo), take metrorail (free for students) and walk to class
Rate 4/5: PROS: great investment, very good for kids (nice community, good school district and schools), much lower crime rate
CONS: commute, probably more expensive per month than renting in Houston (but you are owning it not renting it)

A very spacious 2/1 for 1050 a month (split b/w 2 people), it is a duplex less than a mile from campus located in a quiet, safe neighborhood. It takes me less than 15 minutes to walk to school in the morning. The bike ride would probably be around 5 minutes.

RESTAURANTS
-Café Adobe- 3 dollar margaritas on Mondays,
-Angelica- Cheap Date Night- 5 dollar movie/popcorn/drink- also on Mondays
-Amazon Grill
-Collina’s
-Chocolate Bar
-Two Rows: dollar pint night
-Free brewery tour with samples at saint arnold’s every Saturday.
-Ming’s located at Montrose and Westheimer, best Chinese in town.
-Baba Yega -- healthy yummy food $8-12,
-Chinatown (go to bellaire st., and pick any restaurant you want, explore)
-Istanbul Grill -- the best Turkish/Mediteranean food ever for $6-15
-Empire Café, plates go for $10-$15, they serve a variety of sandwiches, chicken plates, pizzas, a variety of coffee drinks, and awesome slices of cake
-The Red Onion (on Kirby) – great place to take the parents, delicious Central American cuisine and fabulous margaritas! $15-24
-Sushi Rock – $6-8 for lunch special, Thai/Japanese
-Niko Niko's – $7-10, Greek
-Fadi's Mediterranean Grill – $8-10, Mediterranean
-Sinh Sinh – $7-10 a dish, Chinese/Vietnamese
-Mayuri - $10 Lunch buffet, Indian
-BW3/Buffalo Wild Wings – 35 cent wings on Tuesday and 50 cent legs
-Cheesecake Factory – $10-17, Galleria area, good portions compared to other upscale places
-Eatzi's – $5-10, healthy food, not really a restaurant though
-Hungry's in the Village – $8-13, Mediterranean
-La Tapatia on Richmond and Hazard-ish – Open late night, $3-10, Mexican food
-Chacho's – $3-10, open late nights
-Pei Wei: $10 a plate
http://www.myconsumerguide.com/entertainment_guide.htm

COFFEE SHOPS/ STUDY
-Diedrich’s coffee
-Crossroads – coffee
-Salentos
-Café Brazil
-House of Pies on Kirby
-Taft Street Coffee – only coffee and a few pastries, but a great study spot! $2-5.
-Teahouse on Shepherd - $3 a drink, Tapioca

How is the cell phone reception around the TMC and inside the buildings at Baylor? I have Sprint...

ut_stephen said:
How is the cell phone reception around the TMC and inside the buildings at Baylor? I have Sprint...

I had Sprint a couple of years ago and hated them with a passion. Their service, particularly in the med center, was terrible. My phone would pretty much never ring anywhere in the area. So I switched to Verizon and have been very satisfied for over a year now. Of course, things might have changed since I left Sprint, but I just found them to be very bad in the med center, and really, many places in Houston/

Distribution of BCM students in Houston:

Archstone Brompton Ct. - latinfridley
Greenbriar - redbeans
The Maroneal - Runner1979

MadameLULU said:
Hopefully this week will be a good one for those on the waitlist. :luck: :luck:

Ditto. The letter said that most movement should occur by June 15 so we should all know one way or another within a couple of weeks.

Hey all,

Is it just me or does it appear that we kinda get the shaft compared to students at other schools as far as vacation time goes? Every single one of my friends going to other med schools has a Spring Break (we don't), and they all have much longer summer vacations than us (8-10 weeks versus our solid 4 weeks). Am I not seeing something here?

latinfridley said:
Has anyone not found a place/or roomate?

latin, I am still in the process of searching for a place

Members don't see this ad :)
erahimy said:
Hey all,

Is it just me or does it appear that we kinda get the shaft compared to students at other schools as far as vacation time goes? Every single one of my friends going to other med schools has a Spring Break (we don't), and they all have much longer summer vacations than us (8-10 weeks versus our solid 4 weeks). Am I not seeing something here?

They all have to do their basic sciences in 2 years, we're done in a year and a half. You do get a sort-of Spring Break. After our last exams, at the end of April, we got almost a week off (we had one exam Monday morning, but that was it). A lot of people were able to take off for travel around the world during that break.

Also, I'll bet that none of your friends get 10 months off during clinicals. And they probably have to study their a**** off during the summer between 2nd and 3rd year to take Step I before starting clinicals. We get to take Step I when we want, and have the ability to take off as much time as we would like to study for it. Most people take off about 2 months, but that still leaves you with 8 months to do whatever (electives, travel, work, sunbathe - really whatever).

ms. a said:
They all have to do their basic sciences in 2 years, we're done in a year and a half. You do get a sort-of Spring Break. After our last exams, at the end of April, we got almost a week off (we had one exam Monday morning, but that was it). A lot of people were able to take off for travel around the world during that break.

Also, I'll bet that none of your friends get 10 months off during clinicals. And they probably have to study their a**** off during the summer between 2nd and 3rd year to take Step I before starting clinicals. We get to take Step I when we want, and have the ability to take off as much time as we would like to study for it. Most people take off about 2 months, but that still leaves you with 8 months to do whatever (electives, travel, work, sunbathe - really whatever).

Thank you ms. a :D I knew there was something I was missing hehe. I just needed some ammo to throw back in their faces when they keep yappin away about all their off time lol.

Greenbriar - redbeans

Well Archstone Brompton pretty much screwed me over with my lease application, so I have decided not to stay with them.
So, i'm going up to Houston this Friday to sign a lease with alta lofts. If anyone wants a roomie still and wants to move at the begining of july let me know before friday; i'm open to options.

So now that many of us have recieved our award letters, what's the next step with our loans? I know there is a lender's list on the website baylor setup for us, but what do we actually do? Are the lenders somehow competitive or are they all the same? Sorry for all the questions, it's my first time getting loans. Thanks for all the help.

Go-Spurs said:
So now that many of us have recieved our award letters, what's the next step with our loans? I know there is a lender's list on the website baylor setup for us, but what do we actually do? Are the lenders somehow competitive or are they all the same? Sorry for all the questions, it's my first time getting loans. Thanks for all the help.

you basically choose a lender, go to their website and fill in an MPN (master promissory note,) indicating that you want to borrow from them. most lenders should let you do that online, but Bank of America, which I chose, had glitches on their website. I ended up sending them a hard copy and a copy to baylor. Then you wait for Baylor and your lender to figure things out. Baylor will then let you know when your funds are ready for collection.

In terms of choosing a lender, they're all pretty much the same. From advice I've heard, you should be ok if you go with the big banks, like BoA.

riverie said:
you basically choose a lender, go to their website and fill in an MPN (master promissory note,) indicating that you want to borrow from them. most lenders should let you do that online, but Bank of America, which I chose, had glitches on their website. I ended up sending them a hard copy and a copy to baylor. Then you wait for Baylor and your lender to figure things out. Baylor will then let you know when your funds are ready for collection.

In terms of choosing a lender, they're all pretty much the same. From advice I've heard, you should be ok if you go with the big banks, like BoA.

Thanks, i think i'll go with Bank of America based on already having a checking account with them. Once again thanks alot!!

Bumped up to be moved to Allopathic forum.

Crazy that no one has heard of waitlist movement yet since we are in to June. Continuing good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear.

Go-Spurs said:
Thanks, i think i'll go with Bank of America based on already having a checking account with them. Once again thanks alot!!
you're welcome! seeya in july! =)

For all out of staters:

It takes 3-5 days to start electric service in Texas. It can also take longer because if you don't have TX ID they make you fax them a whole bunch of alternate IDs. Just thought I'd warn you. (Just went through the whole process). It might take longer to get service than where you're from.

thanks for the info, drwlo. could you elaborate on what those alternate IDs are? also, would you have to start it up if you are a tenant in an apartment complex?

gomizzou said:
Bumped up to be moved to Allopathic forum.

Crazy that no one has heard of waitlist movement yet since we are in to June. Continuing good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear.

Perhaps almost everyone that got in has decided to attend.

riverie said:
thanks for the info, drwlo. could you elaborate on what those alternate IDs are? also, would you have to start it up if you are a tenant in an apartment complex?

I used my SS card and my driver's license. I think if I didnt have my SS card I had to send in more stuff. The other problem (if you buy) is that you can't set up an account until you close. As far as renting, it depends on your building. Whatever's included in the rent is generally already set up. My seller told me about Time Warner. I called them and can get digital cable, cable internet and phone with unlimited domestic long distance for $100 a month. Go to roadrunner.com For the rest of utilities go to whitefence.com. They let you directly compare all companies (houston has a lot of options).

can someone give me insight into which utility company you are using? my apartment comple told me to sign up online at their own website for the utilities but they gave me only one choice (Green Mountain Energy) which appears to me more expensive than others on the Texas Power to Choose website.

Do you want to pick a provider that includes generation, transmission, distribution? some providers only include generation.

thoroughly confused and don't want to get ripped off in the summertime.

musicman1991 said:
can someone give me insight into which utility company you are using? my apartment comple told me to sign up online at their own website for the utilities but they gave me only one choice (Green Mountain Energy) which appears to me more expensive than others on the Texas Power to Choose website.

Do you want to pick a provider that includes generation, transmission, distribution? some providers only include generation.

I'm going to attend UT-H (moving in next week) and chose Gexa. There are no switching or termination fees, no contract (you can switch after a month if you are unhappy with their service) and Gexa has just about the lowest rate around (fixed rate averaging around $0.105/kWh). There is a $200 deposit, but this can be waived if you have good credit. They do not disclose this on the website, but when you sign Gexa will tell you that there is a >$5 fee for reading the meter and possibly another fee I don't remember. These extra fees appear to be standard among most electric companies though.

A great website to look at is:
http://www.powertochoose.org/
Just type in your zip and hit compare offers. When you sign up for electricity, you might be asked who is your default energy supplier is. It is the company listed as your "affliate rep" at the top.

musicman1991 said:

Sometimes Buildings have contracts with certain companies, then you have no choice. You should call your building and see.

drwlo said:
Sometimes Buildings have contracts with certain companies, then you have no choice. You should call your building and see.

Going with Gexa Energy. They have a deal too to get 1000 onepass miles

Greenbriar - redbeans
Alta Lofts - latinfridley

Hi Guys

I was wondering if yall knew when Baylor started interviewing people? Also, for those that matched with UT-Southwestern, why did yall pick Baylor over Southwestern? Your help is greatly appreciated.

hobbesiscool said:
Hi Guys

I was wondering if yall knew when Baylor started interviewing people? Also, for those that matched with UT-Southwestern, why did yall pick Baylor over Southwestern? Your help is greatly appreciated.
the first interview date offered this past year was 9/24 and they interview every other friday. the earliest interview invitations went out in july, i think.

Does anyone have a phone company they'd like to recommend for basic, local calling service plans? I'd like something not more than $20/month (before taxes + other exorbitant add-ons) I tried verizon, but they don't offer local service in houston, only broadband phone. Time Warner's broadband phone seems a rip-off at $45/month, when I don't need long-distance.

What are the different phone companies in Houston?

Sorry but from what I've heard you're not going to find local service that cheap. SBC is another phone company but it's very expensive. Good luck!

riverie said:
Does anyone have a phone company they'd like to recommend for basic, local calling service plans? I'd like something not more than $20/month (before taxes + other exorbitant add-ons) I tried verizon, but they don't offer local service in houston, only broadband phone. Time Warner's broadband phone seems a rip-off at $45/month, when I don't need long-distance.

If you absolutely want a local phone line + high speed internet I would do SBC + SBC Yahoo DSL. It's only $15/month for SBC Yahoo DSL (check out the SBC homepage).

If you want cable internet, check out vonage.com. It's $25/month, but you can't really find a broadband phone that doesn't include long distance.

riverie said:

I think most ppl here use SBC or simply use their cell phones. For DSL ($26.99) and basic phone service (my roommate and I chose to add call waiting), we pay a total of $52 with taxes/month with SBC. If you can get DSL form 16 bucks that would be a great deal.

riverie said:

We use vonage's $14.95/mo plan, which is just 500 minutes to anywhere in the US, incoming calls & 800 numbers free, plus all the services like call waiting, caller ID, etc. That way we get a local, home phone #, and it's unlisted without paying an extra fee! We never use up all the minutes, and have had no problems with the service. Only prob is when Time Warner goes down we can't get online or use the phone, which is TW's fault. And make sure you set up the 911 to match your home address / zip code calling area. Anyhoo, it's way better than $26/mo through SBC for just local service.

I need a couch. Where are the used furniture places that will deliver. I don't want to buy a couch for $600!!

wow sweet, thanks Latin!

Is the "Baylor Clinic" they speak of the one that's just a few floors in an existing building? It's not a new building right?

Anyone read today's news about Baylor suing Methodist? And more info on Baylor+St. Luke's merger?

Is Cornell really a serious threat to Baylor's survival?

Wow, i didn't know that the fued between Baylor and Methodist was this bad.

Hey yall,

Question to the the current students at BCM, and even those coming in to the c/o 2009. What are the plans for orientation week during the nights? Are there any student gatherings planned? Maybe an orientation of Houston's bar scene :laugh: Last time I did a bar crawl was 2 months ago where I posed as an engineering student and went on their all day all night bar crawl across Ann Arbor. That was fun.

Update to the osa/2009 site--they added Student to Student MS1 101. Some of it had been pasted here, but is has the first week's class schedule etc.

Hey y'all:

Just wanted to post this FYI. We'd love to see you guys come out tonight.
----------
Well, it's been a long time since we've had one of these and I know that many of us are leaving for points beyond soon. Let's all get together for lunch or dinner on Saturday, 18 June 2005. Come on out and have lots of fun!

- Rendar5 will be visiting from the Great Beyond (New York City)!
- See a Frog dancing on tables!
- Check out the people you've always wondered about!
- And much, much more.

For those of you who haven't been out to one of these before, they're lots of fun. It's a great way to make friends [:)] and get to know a new group of people in the Houston area. There's a right zoo's worth of Houston-area SDNers!

The reservations have been made.

Bucca di Beppo on Saturday @ 8 p.m. Reservations have been made (for 12), so we won't have to pimp fotolilith out in order to collect for the bribe. :) So far we have:

1. Evo
2. Labrat
3. TRose and hubby
4. fotolilith
5. dizzydog (likely)
6. Snow White
7. Rendar
8. MadameLULU
9. 2tall

Anyone else?????? Put your name down. That way we can increase the reservation size if necessary. :D

Here's the map:

houston.gif

For those of you on the alternate list (Paragozardelsol, MadameLULU, others?) I called the office the other day and asked if they anticipated any more waitlist movement. She said the Dean had that info., but then asked for my name and told me that I was still on the alternate list, so I'm not sure if I stated my question very clearly. Anyway, if someone else wants to give a call they can...otherwise good luck still!