Official Baylor College of Medicine entering class 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
musicman1991 said:
How is the gym at Baylor? Is it worth joining? Not that expensive, decent hours. Or is it better to join a commercial gym?
someone mentioned that UT-H has a much better equipped gym for not much $/year. i think it was $65/year? someone care to confirm?

Members don't see this ad.

riverie said:
someone mentioned that UT-H has a much better equipped gym for not much $/year. i think it was $65/year? someone care to confirm?

http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/recreat/index.html
Baylor's gym is really small and frankly, it's a joke. UT-Houston has a nice gym, which they recently added another wing. For the workoutaholics, it's pretty clean and there are lots of machines (cardio and weight).
Sixty five bucks a year doesn't sound right to me. I think they have fees every quarter...

Yeah from the website, it's $40-$70 a quarter, can't quite figure out the price of a non-UTH student . But it seems worth it if you like to work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
BaylorLion said:
Hey guys

I will post the DETAILED Baylor match list (with specialties and locations) next week - I saw it posted on the Student Affairs office but didn't make a copy of it. But it is awesome.

I know that we've matched 13 people this year to ophthalmology, mostly to excellent programs - 1 is going to the army, and the other 12 are going to UCSF, Baylor, UMichigan, Bascom Palmer, and New York Eye Institute.

I remember seeing quite a few gas and rads matches, but don't remember how many. As for institutions, we matched 5 people to HUP (I think two were going for EM and ENT); another 10 people are going to California; 50-odd are staying at Baylor; 5 are going to WashU;7 people to Chicago (Northwestern mostly, 1 or 2 to UChicago). Anyway, I'll get you the whole list probably Monday or Tuesday... why give you selected details from my memory when I can give you the actual stats...

Hey Would you happen to know where I could get the list with the student's name? I have a friend who goes to Baylor and graduates in 05, and I am trying to figure out where she's going. I have lost contact w her!!!

please help?

seems like Baylor students (or any TMC students) get the UT-Houston resident rate. Much more than $65/year but then again seems like it might be worth it. facility looks awesome.

Is it worth it to save your undergrad books? The only ones I still have are a Biochem text (Lehninger) and an intro-level human physiology book.

do we get to use the (admittedly) small and dingly BCM gym for free? The poster above said "join" the gym, but I thought it was free?

generic said:
do we get to use the (admittedly) small and dingly BCM gym for free? The poster above said "join" the gym, but I thought it was free?

the baylor website says it's $65 for students.

You guys might not have heard about this, but it is AWESOME and HUGE news:

http://www.bcm.edu/news/packages/sawaya.cfm

CreativeWriter, I have no idea where to get a match list with the students' names - but if you know the person's name, you can just go to the Baylor website and look it up in the directory. It'll give you their email address. Hope that helps.

is it me, or is the print on the newly renovated bcm website too small to read? i had to copy and paste into a word document to read the article (awesome news, by the way).

oh, baylor, why did you change your logo? it is so UGLY and PLAIN! can i have the old one on my white coat, please?

kgm4 said:
is it me, or is the print on the newly renovated bcm website too small to read? i had to copy and paste into a word document to read the article (awesome news, by the way).

oh, baylor, why did you change your logo? it is so UGLY and PLAIN! can i have the old one on my white coat, please?

Just change the text size in your browser.

I like the new logo, the old one was kinda old school. Finally the website looks decent. It's nice to have a top notch med school with a top notch website.

musicman1991 said:
Just change the text size in your browser.

wow! what a difference that made (i've never claimed to be computer savvy). thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
kgm

i might be missin' you grl.. it looks like i'm destined to be a blue devil.. :( ;) keep me posted on how things are going..

~L

I agree that the old logo was more unique and classic. The new one does look modern, but it's just plain ole sarif font letters, after all...

I don't like the t-shirts they sell now much either, for that matter...

So, has anyone gotten any definitive information about what it takes to get in-state residency?

I emailed the address on the FAQ last week, and I've gotten nada responses.

Sigma said:
So, has anyone gotten any definitive information about what it takes to get in-state residency?

I emailed the address on the FAQ last week, and I've gotten nada responses.
at the revisit day this monday, a representative from the registrar's told us that the people who may be changing the state law/regulation about residency are meeting right now.. they won't know till may at the earliest if there're any changes. if you want her email, PM me. she said to email her in may to ask.

Is this the new logo you don't like?
logo.gif

Looks like I was a little late signing on to the forum, but it's good to see I have some BCM support!

No, this is the new one:

logo_sm.gif

The one you gave was the old one.

JenB said:
No, this is the new one:

logo_sm.gif

The one you gave was the old one.

Oh, I see. Yeah, I like the old one better, too.

thatguy said:
Oh, I see. Yeah, I like the old one better, too.

The new one looks better on the website and on letterheads.

The old one looks better on white coats. But who cares, who wants some obnoxious thing on their white coat anyways?

Does anyone know when Baylor's orientation and classes start?

Ylime said:
Does anyone know when Baylor's orientation and classes start?

orientation is July 25th and classes start i think on Aug.1

that is correct! 8AM on July 25th...yikes.

Uh, I want some obnoxious thing on my white coat! anyone else?

generic said:
Uh, I want some obnoxious thing on my white coat! anyone else?

me!

all the current baylor students i have talked with are not fans of the new logo either (i am trying to get one of them to find an old patch for me in the bookstore). i don't think the bcm logo has anything to do with being a top tier institution. it's plain and boring, not to mention ugly.

LRmed2003, NOOOOOO!!!!!!! thou hast forsaken bcm! while i am very happy for you about your duke decision, i will truly miss you as a member of our class.

musicman1991 said:
The new one looks better on the website and on letterheads.

The old one looks better on white coats. But who cares, who wants some obnoxious thing on their white coat anyways?

White coat? That's passe.

I'm going to wear a full-length leopard print cape over a white leisure suit. I'll have my green wide-brimmed hat with 6" feather sticking out the top, and goldfish encased in my see-through 3" platform shoes.

Mmmm, pimpilicous.

Does anyone have any thoughts on living downtown? I like the thought of finding an apartment there, but I'm wondering whether the commute would be worth it, and also whether I would be too isolated from other students. Where do most students go out/get together? Are students who live downtown rather than in condoland, etc, kind of out of the loop? I'd appreciate any thoughts:)

if you choose carefully, I think living downtown could be pretty sweet. There is a lot of new development going on there, and if you're close to the metrorail (or if you could get there), you'd have an easy ride into the med center.

And most people who hang out and party or go to bars in Houston go downtown at least some of the time, so that'll be nice for you too.

generic said:
if you choose carefully, I think living downtown could be pretty sweet. There is a lot of new development going on there, and if you're close to the metrorail (or if you could get there), you'd have an easy ride into the med center.

And most people who hang out and party or go to bars in Houston go downtown at least some of the time, so that'll be nice for you too.

Where do you reocmmend in "downtown"?

I heard "midtown" was a better place to live?

So, I ended up in Houston this past Sunday looking for apartments. Here is the rundown on the properties I checked out:

1) I first tried to see Alta Lofts, but unfortunately was turned away at the door due to recent floor refinishing, and notice that the leasing staff would not be there until next week. Bummer.
2) Lanesborough was the 2nd stop. I liked the complex except for the dinky trailer leasing center which was rather strange. I checked out the small 1 BR A model and really liked the layout. They had a decent special running so that rent was about 730 or so per month.
3) Greenbriar was 3rd. I didn't like the Greenbriar compared to Lanesborough. The complex looked really dull and older, lacked the cool fitness center at Lanesborough, and I wasn't enthralled with their small 1BR floorplan. They were also more expensive than Lanesborough. I nixed this place off of choices after I saw it.
4) Archstone Brompton Courts. This ended up being my choice. Their leasing staff was very nice, as was the exterior of the apartments. This is a huge complex with 796 units. The main things that impressed me were the hourly shuttle service to TMC they have ( they have their own large bus, with no other apartment stops; takes about 10 min to get to the BCM stop), the great prices they have going, and the diverse and quiet people at the community. I will end up paying over $100 less per month than Lanesborough for a bigger floorplan, which is pretty significant.
5) and just for kicks I went to the El Mundo area. Gotta say, I didnt like the area at all. Some of the complexes were plain scary with razor wire on top of their walls. The whole area looked unsafe. It was rather odd, because they have a few nice looking complexes, i.e.- San Melia, San Marin, Parque del Oro, and then some really, really, shady looking complexes next door. I just didnt feel very safe here.
6) Went to Archstone Medical too. Didn't like the location. But it has shuttle service, and metro rail next door. Prices were good, but not as good as Brompton, and not as nice as Bromton either. Facilities were kinda meager.

So in sum, for the price, size and shuttle service, I went with Archstone Brompton out of Lanesborough, Greenbriar, the entire el mundo area, and Archstone Medical.

Hey Everyone,
Starting my first year at Baylor this Fall. :) I've been looking for apartments in the med center area (haven't decided on any yet). I'm interested in sharing a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment with another female. If you're interested, email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Hey dr.med2B,

I tried e-mailing you cause i'm also looking for a female roommate but it didn't work. my e-mail address is [email protected]

ut_stephen said:
Has anyone checked out the UT-Houston apartments? Apparently BCM students can stay there too. http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/housing/ElPaseo.html

i think this is probably one of the safest complexes-- the security guard writes down the license plate and make of all the cars, with the exception of resident's vehicles, that enter the complex

So, its official....just sent in the deposit check to Baylor. Woo Hoo!!!!!

runner1979 said:
So, its official....just sent in the deposit check to Baylor. Woo Hoo!!!!!
yay! i'll be sending in mine soon. wanna hold on to my $300 for as long as possible. :p hehe. seeya in July!!!

anyone receive a finaid package yet? i've only gotten the "your file is complete" letter, but i am hoping baylor will come through for me soon!

kgm4 said:
anyone receive a finaid package yet? i've only gotten the "your file is complete" letter, but i am hoping baylor will come through for me soon!

I just got an email today saying that they will be notifying me next week electronically about my finaid package.

SteveUTexas said:
I just got an email today saying that they will be notifying me next week electronically about my finaid package.

i just got that email too! good timing. it's great that baylor is keeping up with the times and putting the finaid awards online. life is so much easier that way.

Has anyone heard from Baylor about being placed on the waitlist or a rejection, or have only accepted applicants heard back so far? I know that they have said that they have until May 15 to make a decision...does anyone else get the feeling that those of us still waiting might not hear anything until then? Anyway, there hasn't been much talk of recent acceptances on this thread so I thought maybe they have given out most of them pre-waitlist and now could be deciding on the rest of the applicants. Good luck everyone.
ps Is it sad that I am alreadly looking up housing info. for Houston when I haven't heard anything back yet instead of the schools to which I have already been accepted?

gomizzou said:
ps Is it sad that I am alreadly looking up housing info. for Houston when I haven't heard anything back yet instead of the schools to which I have already been accepted?

aw, mizzou! if i may suggest so, have you bugged baylor and told them how much you like them? cos at this point, you could adopt an assertiveness that would make them realize how willing you'd be to go if they accepted you. kinda like assuming that you are on a waitlist and making steps to move up on it, even if they haven't expressly told you that you are on one - cos it could only help, not hurt you now, i'm thinking.

and if you do hear good news and want to know more about housing, i could offer a wee bit of advice based on what i've heard and seen! just PM me! good luck, i hope you hear good stuff soon... :thumbup:

Yes, early last week I sent Baylor a letter of intent. It was about a page long with some updates about what I have been doing, but expressedly stated that I would drop other acceptances/waitlists if accepted. I sent it to Dean Lloyd H. Michael because it looked like he was head of Admissions, but maybe I should send one to Dean Bradshaw as well since he is the one that calls accepted applicants? It was hard to judge how much waitlist movement there is at Baylor for out-of-state students based on last year's info. so if anyone has any idea feel free to share. Thanks and I'll let everyone know if I hear the good news!

gomizzou said:
Yes, early last week I sent Baylor a letter of intent. It was about a page long with some updates about what I have been doing, but expressedly stated that I would drop other acceptances/waitlists if accepted. I sent it to Dean Lloyd H. Michael because it looked like he was head of Admissions, but maybe I should send one to Dean Bradshaw as well since he is the one that calls accepted applicants? It was hard to judge how much waitlist movement there is at Baylor for out-of-state students based on last year's info. so if anyone has any idea feel free to share. Thanks and I'll let everyone know if I hear the good news!

Why not, if it's misdirected letter they'll just throw it away or give it to the right person. Better to not risk it. I don't think it's what you say, it's your persistant interest.

gomizzou said:

Dr. Michael is the right guy. He's who I met with when I was pushing to get in a little over a year ago. I don't know where you are located, but if you are in Houston, making the effort to come in and talk to Dr. Michael about what you can do is always a plus - it sure worked for me.

Gomizzou, I think there is more waitlist movement for out-of-staters, because Baylor prohibits itself from accepting Texan applicants already accepted to another Texas school after a certain date (to keep itself in-line with a rule established among the public schools).

A more cynical person might also say that they wait until after May 15th so they can see where out-of-state applicants are holding spots, to figure out which ones they have a good chance of picking off... but I have no idea if that's true or not. I do know that Baylor seems to have a pretty active waitlist (which you might not expect, since we have the 4th highest yield rate among medical schools) - judging from the # of people in my class who were accepted off the waitlist as opposed to those accepted straightaway. Very, very few people got in a week after the interview.

BaylorLion said:
Gomizzou, I think there is more waitlist movement for out-of-staters, because Baylor prohibits itself from accepting Texan applicants already accepted to another Texas school after a certain date (to keep itself in-line with a rule established among the public schools).

The date is June 1, but Baylor doesn't always abide by it. I have a friend who was holding a spot at UT-Southwestern, and Baylor told him that if he wanted to be accepted he would have to decline his spot at UTSW first.

Did anyone else get their financial aid package today? I guess that I did not qualify for institutional grants because I was awarded $36,055 in subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loans.

SteveUTexas said:
Did anyone else get there financial aid package today? I guess that I did not qualify for institutional grants because I was awarded $36,055 in subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loans.

i didn't get any grants either. mine were all loans - unsub and sub Stafford, Perkins and Baylor loan. i'm out of state too, btw. is 36,055 the total cost for in state people? my budget was 49K+. bleah.

riverie said:
i didn't get any grants either. mine were all loans - unsub and sub Stafford, Perkins and Baylor loan. i'm out of state too, btw. is 36,055 the total cost for in state people? my budget was 49K+. bleah.

Yes, 36,055 is the total cost for in-state:

Tuition $6,550
Fees $4,013
Books & Supplies $6,298
FSL Loan Fees $255
Other Loan Fees $272
Cost of Living $18,667
Exam Fees $0
Total Budget $36,055