Official Baylor College of Medicine entering class 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gomizzou said:
For those of you on the alternate list (Paragozardelsol, MadameLULU, others?) I called the office the other day and asked if they anticipated any more waitlist movement. She said the Dean had that info., but then asked for my name and told me that I was still on the alternate list, so I'm not sure if I stated my question very clearly. Anyway, if someone else wants to give a call they can...otherwise good luck still!

Thanks for the heads up!

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, i was just wondering when people were going to move to Houston.... and approx. how many days one should call the electric company to activate the service for the day i move in?

Thanks for the help, can't wait to meet everyone.

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....................Spurs in 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Go-Spurs said:
Hey guys, i was just wondering when people were going to move to Houston.... and approx. how many days one should call the electric company to activate the service for the day i move in?

Thanks for the help, can't wait to meet everyone.

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....................Spurs in 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Call them now. You schedule your start date so the earlier you call the better.

i just started the electricity on my place in houston a few days ago
the company (tara electricity) told me that it would be three or four business days from day i submitted my application, and sure enough, it took three days

Did anyone read the news of the huge donations to BCM recently? They sounded pretty impressive. Check the BCM home page for details.

hi, think i,ll be having my clerkship/elctives in baylor....hope it works out anyways what are vmy chances really as i'm an international student from nigeria to be precise.......ciao

Has anyone gotten any emails recently about orientation, PRN, etc? I'm assuming not but I wanted make sure I wasn't missing anything...

redbeans said:
Has anyone gotten any emails recently about orientation, PRN, etc? I'm assuming not but I wanted make sure I wasn't missing anything...

I recieved an email in regards to shirt size for orientation groups, but other than that, nothing.

2005 NBA Champions San Antonio Spurs WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :D

Would any co 2009 BCM students be interested in gettin together in Houston for a beer next week? Im moving down to houston this weekend and will no doubt be bored.

Anyone here know til around what time orientation is going to take us during the week once we have returned from camp?

erahimy said:
Anyone here know til around what time orientation is going to take us during the week once we have returned from camp?

If I recall correctly (and I'm not totally sure I do), last year it was sometime in the mid-afternoon. Your PRN advisors would probably know a bit more. Have you gotten the PRN info yet? If not, they should be contacting you soon, especially now that exams are over for us first-years. Oh wait, I guess we're now second-years. Yikes!

Members don't see this ad :)
any baylor students interested in sharing an apt at archstone starting mid-july?

Hey all. I am a Baylor, well now, 2nd year, and I am a PRN advisor. I am suprised that you have not received your PRN groups yet. My guess is that you will very VERY soon. Anyhow, if you have any questions, please email me. [email protected] Have a great rest of the summer.
(I might check back here every now and again, but e-maill is the best way to go!)

Mrs.S said:
Hey all. I am a Baylor, well now, 2nd year, and I am a PRN advisor. I am suprised that you have not received your PRN groups yet. My guess is that you will very VERY soon. Anyhow, if you have any questions, please email me. [email protected] Have a great rest of the summer.
(I might check back here every now and again, but e-maill is the best way to go!)

Oh my God!! I cannot believe I didn't put 2 and 2 together until just now and realize who you were!!! You'd think after sitting next to you for the past 11 months and being one of my best friends, it would've come up.

Crazy

ms. a said:
Oh my God!! I cannot believe I didn't put 2 and 2 together until just now and realize who you were!!! You'd think after sitting next to you for the past 11 months and being one of my best friends, it would've come up.

Crazy

:) you were just having a blonde moment! :) It's ok, I still love you! :love:

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THE WAITLIST??? :confused:

latinfridley said:
Here's the news link
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3222453

It doesnt sound like bcm is gonna win this one.

Not sure what I am doing in the Baylor thread, but...

As someone who will be attending Cornell in the fall, I find our new partnership with Methodist hospital very interesting. It will definitely provide us with a more expansive set of great clinical/research opportunities. I am therefore somewhat surprised that I never heard anything about Methodist-Cornell during the application cycle, interviews, etc. I wonder how much rankings have to do with this new collaboration. HMS basically blows every other school out of the water in US News because it has 100 million affiliated hospitals (after all, which school in the Boston area does not want HMS as an affiliate?), which results in a ridiculous--and skewed--amount of research dollars. Perhaps Cornell is following suit...

Don't worry about books and doctoring stuff. You should get a pair of scrubs for Anatomy from your PRN group. As far as stethoscopes, otoscopes, ophthalmascopes, penlights, tunning forks, white coats etc, you will be given a chance to order those early in the fall. You can get a cheaper price by ordering with the group unless you are just an ebay stud, and can find one there. We got reflex hammers for free, so don't worry about purchasing those yet, and you don't need them until the spring. As far as books... you can check out half price books for any of the BRS for anatomy, physiolog, biochem, histology and an anatomy atlas, but I'd wait. there might be 2nd, 3rd, or 4th years seeling those, or willing to let you borrow. Plus, if you join AMA or AMSA, i dont remeber which, you get a free Netter's Atlas for anatomy. Basically, take it easy until orientation. No worries. Any more questions, just ask.
cerulean grass said:
Hey everyone,

We've got 24 more days until orientation, and I just wanted to stir up some more action on this thread in anticipation... Who else can't wait? And who else is petrified? Here are some of the things I've been doing that probably look similar to what you all have been up to:

- Signing up online for PRN
- Ditto for occupational health records
- Sending in that background check form a month late
- Refreshing the www.bcm.edu/osa/2009 site every day
- Getting a Hepatitis B shot ($$$)
- Sending in the health forms next week, despite July 1 deadline
- Preparing to move into the Archstone Med Center next week
- Checking out electric/cable/phone/net options
- Wondering what kind of furniture to get
- Etc.

I hope it's okay that I haven't invested in any textbooks or doctoring paraphernalia (stethoscope, otoscope, whatever). I might have a pair of scrubs somewhere for anatomy, but that's about it...

I'm psyched about school, but I'm also trying to enjoy every minute of the last few weeks. I find myself alternating between fits of stupor (lying around in a daze, not really doing a darn thing) and fits of frenzied activity.

Hope you BCM MS1's start posting more frequently! And good luck to everyone still holding out on the waitlist -- one of my best friends is hoping to hear soon, and he's ready to go to BCM even if he has to wait until July 24 to find out. Hopefully things work out for him and you all too! :luck:

Hi BCM people

I was wondering if one of you all could answer a question I have. I submitted my application on June 4th to AMCAS and it was verified and (I think it was) sent to Baylor College of Medicine on June 14th. Now, I originally had only Baylor on the list of medical schools to send my AMCAS to when I first submitted it. On June 24th, I added a few more schools. One June 14th, my AMCAS status page had said that the application had been made available to Baylor once I had it completely verified. I called Baylor and talked to them about how they receive AMCAS applications, and they said that they will start uploading them in batches on July 5th or 6th. My question for you is, since my application was ready for Baylor on the 14th, but I added some schools on the 24th, will Baylor treat me as an applicant who was ready on the 14th, or as an applicant who had his application only ready on the 24th (basically, did adding these extra schools delay my Baylor submission as well)? If I now look at the PDF file created under the print application button on the AMCAS page, it says that my submission date was the 24th, but I wasn't sure if Baylor would treat me as a June 14th applicant, since technically I had them already added at that time. The reason I ask this question is I know Baylor screens applicants in the order of the way applications were made available to them, and since my application was verified on the 14th and Baylor was my only school at that time, I'm hoping that Baylor will treat me like an applicant who was ready on the 14th. However, because I added these extra schools, and resubmitted and recertified my AMCAS, I was wondering if Baylor will now see me as an applicant who was only ready on the 24th? I know a difference of 10 days won't hurt me too much even if they see me as an applicant who was only ready on the 24th, but I just wanted to make sure with you all. I know Baylor said they will receive their applications in batches and that it would be to your benefit to be in one of the first batches that gets reviewed. And another question I have is, will doing the Michael E. DeBakey Summer Surgery Program this summer help my chances at Baylor? I was wondering if they traditionally look favorably upon people who have done summer programs at their school. I would really like to have a good shot at this school, and I am hoping having my secondary and AMCAS in early will help me to get an early interview. Your response is greatly appreciated.

Someone else might have a longer or more informed answer, but I don't think it would matter one bit whether you submitted your amcas on the 14th or 20th. Either way it is early enough (remember some people have to wait on Aug. MCAT and still get in.)

Has the financial aid office contacted anyone about setting up EFT yet? I have not heard anything from them in awhile.

I just got a letter saying which forms I'd submitted and which I still need to send... oops

Does anyone know Baylor's average USMLE?
I have heard anything ranging from 225-240.

has anyone heard from their PRN groups yet? are we supposed to have heard?

riverie said:

I have not heard anything yet and I have talked to several other students that have not heard anything either.

riverie said:

Nope. Has anyone recieved confirmation that their loan has been processed?

Hey All,
You still haven't heard about your PRN groups? I am so sorry that you haven't receved this information yet. One thing is that last year, the info went to parent's house as it was my permanent address. So check there. I will also try to check this out on my end, however, I am busy studying for a make up anatomy exam, so it might take a little while. But please email me with any questions/concerns at [email protected]
Lindsay

latinfridley said:

Mrs.S said:
Hey All,
You still haven't heard about your PRN groups? I am so sorry that you haven't receved this information yet. One thing is that last year, the info went to parent's house as it was my permanent address. So check there. I will also try to check this out on my end, however, I am busy studying for a make up anatomy exam, so it might take a little while. But please email me with any questions/concerns at [email protected]
Lindsay

Ok, you should receive your PRN information early next week. Hope you can contain your excitement! :)

I got a letter today!!!! And it was full of exciting colors!
Countdown to orientation!

redbeans said:
I got a letter today!!!! And it was full of exciting colors!
Countdown to orientation!

so did i! i am totally stoked...YAAAY :)

agentorange said:
so did i! i am totally stoked...YAAAY :)

Was there any important info in the letter? I dont think im going to be getting mine, because i recently moved, and mails not being forwarded to my new address yet.

latinfridley said:
Was there any important info in the letter? I dont think im going to be getting mine, because i recently moved, and mails not being forwarded to my new address yet.

just a nice welcome telling you who your prn advisors are, what prn groups do, and dates for prn activities during orientation [looks like something on july 28 evening and saturday afternoon for everyone + an activity specific to your prn group i think]

latinfridley said:

i had to call the financial aid office. they told me that i was all set in terms of the paperwork i had to submit. i think they're doing the final round of processing this week. she said that we'll most probably get the funds 1st week of school (after orientation.)

MadameLULU said:
Hi guys,
It looks like I'll be joining y'all on the 25th. I just got the call from Dr. Bradshaw!!!! :D :D :D

Now to find a place to live and move! :eek:

Congratulations!!!

MadameLULU said:
Hi guys,
It looks like I'll be joining y'all on the 25th. I just got the call from Dr. Bradshaw!!!! :D :D :D

Are you serious? That's AWESOME, ML!

Congrats.

MadameLULU said:
Hi guys,

i was wondering how long it would take you to post the news ;)

MadameLULU said:
Hi guys,

That's awesome. On a side note I got my PRN group stuff today in the mail. It looks like I am in the "No Diggity? No Gout!" group.

Hey all,

Got a quick question. Is the crime rate in CondoLand really as "high" as some make it out to be? What other areas are there to purchase condominiums at?

erahimy said:
Hey all,

Got a quick question. Is the crime rate in CondoLand really as "high" as some make it out to be? What other areas are there to purchase condominiums at?

I bought a place in ConodoLand(at Riverwalk complex) and all the others I've met here so far have felt safe living here. Many of them are med students and residents. There's a 24-hour manned gate, which helps I think. Some complexes in CondoLand only have limited hours for security guards. There are other condo areas, like Montrose, but in general the location makes them much more expensive with fewer transportation options to the Med Center. I didn't even look at how secure those places were because they're out of my price range. Also, I've had college friends living in Montrose who had crime problems there so you're never 100% safe. Remember it's a big city. I recommend the Riverwalk:)

Post your PRN group when you know it!

Does anyone here have an opinion/has heard anything good or bad about Briargreen condominiums? They appear to be the oldest ones out of all the complexes in the "Condoland" area, but they also carry some of the lowest association fees and seem to be nicely situated (across street from the metro station).

Can anyone who already picked a stafford lender tell me who they picked and why? Thanks!

lmnop said:
Can anyone who already picked a stafford lender tell me who they picked and why? Thanks!

I chose Bank of America who farmed it out to Brazos Higher Education Loan Services. The reason why I chose BofA is they have no loan fees unlike other companies which can be as high as 4%.