Official Baylor College of Medicine entering class 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
agentorange said:
i have a burning albeit serious question: do i need my lab googles in med school or do i get to sacrifice them to the dumpster god? also, same question as above for my orgo book :)

Speaking of burning ... :D

Put 'em on eBay!

Members don't see this ad.

Curly,

How is the orientation at Chain O Lakes? Did you have fun? What is the main objective of being there? Just to meet people and get acquainted?

erahimy said:
Curly,

How is the orientation at Chain O Lakes? Did you have fun? What is the main objective of being there? Just to meet people and get acquainted?

I had a blast at COL, even though it was a little tiring to meet so many people and do the shotgun-style socializing :D I thought it was fun, and you have to go with it and be willing to do silly team-building activities for a couple of hours. I definitely recommend going, because that's where you'll meet your PRN group and be able to start finding people in your class to click with. My group completely hit it off and had a great time, and we still do stuff together. You'll hear from other people who thought it was dorky, but don't take yourself too seriously and you'll make more friends that way :) I think the main objective of being there is to meet your classmates, and a lot of Baylorians put a lot of effort into making y'all feel welcome and trying to make sure you have a good time.

Members don't see this ad :)
curlycity said:
I had a blast at COL, even though it was a little tiring to meet so many people and do the shotgun-style socializing :D I thought it was fun, and you have to go with it and be willing to do silly team-building activities for a couple of hours. I definitely recommend going, because that's where you'll meet your PRN group and be able to start finding people in your class to click with. My group completely hit it off and had a great time, and we still do stuff together. You'll hear from other people who thought it was dorky, but don't take yourself too seriously and you'll make more friends that way :) I think the main objective of being there is to meet your classmates, and a lot of Baylorians put a lot of effort into making y'all feel welcome and trying to make sure you have a good time.

But don't forget about the major exam during the second day based on all the basic principles of anatomy, histology, biochem, physiology, genetics, etc. that is used for placement and a major determinant of AOA in the future. So be sure that you study well during your summer break, because it sure is a doozy of a test!

Soooo kidding. Seriously, my only complaint about Chain O Lakes is that I don't think they'd ever heard of "healthy" food (for example, the only milk they had was whole milk and when I asked for skim, or even lowfat, they looked at me as if I were speaking Greek). Luckily, I was placed in a cabin with three other girls, but there are an unfortunate 32 or so of each gender that get placed in the dormatory room full of bunk beds (and a tiny bathroom).

i might have missed this somewhere.. i see that the first day and a half of orientation is COL; what other interesting stuff do they due to us the rest of the week besides placement quizzing the bejeezus out of us :)

agentorange said:
i might have missed this somewhere.. i see that the first day and a half of orientation is COL; what other interesting stuff do they due to us the rest of the week besides placement quizzing the bejeezus out of us :)

No quizzes, I promise. Everyone takes the same classes. The rest of the week is just administrative stuff, really - info on everything that you need to know about being in med school, besides the science stuff (health insurance, curriculum, schedule, banks, loans, motivational speeches, tours of the places that you really need to know, and much, much more). There are also social things going on with the PRN groups throughout the week, usually in the evenings.

So, how many other SDNers are hoping to get off of the Baylor alternate list right now?

Yeah, I am too. :scared: Are any of you who are waiting out-of-towners?

I am, but I'm not sure how that affects our chances. Do you think that is a good thing? I would think that most TX residents accepted would attend, but maybe some of the out-of-staters who get into Baylor get into other top schools as well?

I hope yall waitlisters get in! gomizzou, I saw on a previous thread you were waivering between Michigan and Baylor? What choice did you make? I go/went to UM for undergrad and am enjoying my last summer months in Ann Arbor as we speak.

curlycity said:

lol, curlycity, this is going to sound really stupid and pointless, but o well. Are there are any basketball courts at the COL resort or not? I mean, horseback riding is great and all, but I like to play some pick up ball too :)

erahimy said:
I hope yall waitlisters get in! gomizzou, I saw on a previous thread you were waivering between Michigan and Baylor? What choice did you make? I go/went to UM for undergrad and am enjoying my last summer months in Ann Arbor as we speak.

If I get into Baylor, I'll be in Houston. Otherwise Ann Arbor here I come.

Members don't see this ad :)
gomizzou said:
If I get into Baylor, I'll be in Houston. Otherwise Ann Arbor here I come.

good luck! wow, I cannot even begin to explain to you the two different worlds you are dealing with when it comes to AA and Houston. Whewwwwwwww, so many advantages to either situation. You can't go wrong!

gomizzou said:
I am, but I'm not sure how that affects our chances. Do you think that is a good thing? I would think that most TX residents accepted would attend, but maybe some of the out-of-staters who get into Baylor get into other top schools as well?

I don't know if it's a good thing, but I was thinking that other out-of-towners would indeed get into a lot of other top schools. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the both of us! :luck:

riceman04 said:
WOw! I never realized that Baylor and Methodist has parted ways. Does anyone know what happened?

Theres a bunch of earlier discussion in this thread about it if you do a search.

erahimy said:
lol, curlycity, this is going to sound really stupid and pointless, but o well. Are there are any basketball courts at the COL resort or not? I mean, horseback riding is great and all, but I like to play some pick up ball too :)

Oh yeah! They're covered, too. And there's ping pong and darts and a lake to swim in if you ain't skirred of some tame alligators. Yes, there are alligators that look at you with one eyeball like, got fingers? because people feed them. Nah, I'm exaggerating, they're pretty timid! We found one and tried to get close for a photo op but s/he just scurried away.

There's canoeing too. And the bunk bed room wasn't that bad ... at least I couldn't hear myself snore, so what do I care! j/k I thought it was sort of chummy to be exhausted, frumpy and excited all at the same time with a bunch of new girls. *wipes away tear* Man, COL is so much more fun to think about than the ID exam I'm scared of, six weeks from now ...

Take bug spray and sunscreen. Don't be cocky, especially if you're from out of state. The sun is intense here, and the bugs ain't playin' around either.

:D

gomizzou said:
So, how many other SDNers are hoping to get off of the Baylor alternate list right now?

I am waiting and waiting for that phone to ring, but nothing yet...

Best of luck to everybody who is on the same boat.

I spoke to a woman in the admissions office today, and she said the waitlist is moving. Hopefully, that means we waitlisters will hear something good in the very near future. :luck:

epitomedoc said:
I spoke to a woman in the admissions office today, and she said the waitlist is moving. Hopefully, that means we waitlisters will hear something good in the very near future. :luck:

Well, that's good to know! Good luck to everyone!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Is there anything that works to actually repel mosquitos? I've heard the mosquitos down there are fierce.

DEET?

I always feel like when I use repellant with it I can notice a difference in the number of bites I get.

generic said:
DEET?

I always feel like when I use repellant with it I can notice a difference in the number of bites I get.

Anyone know of any furniture stores that have decent prices and deliver too?

I'm looking for a queen mattress around $500 and a couch around $500....

I don't want to fuss with a van and finding someone to help me move it.

Thanks

I think it would be helpful to everyone to list the apt complex or condo location where everyone is going to be living this fall to get a general idea of the distribution of BCM students in Houston:
So I'll start. Please feel free to add to the list.

Archstone Brompton Ct. - latinfridley

musicman1991 said:
Anyone know of any furniture stores that have decent prices and deliver too?

I'm looking for a queen mattress around $500 and a couch around $500....

I don't want to fuss with a van and finding someone to help me move it.

Thanks

We got our couches at Fingers Furniture (on I-45, somewhere around the Cullen exit). I thought they had pretty decent prices, and a range of prices as well. And they deliver, too, though it might be an extra $50 or so. The delivery charge might be a signle charge if you have both the mattress and couch delivered at the same time. Gallery Furniture, a little north of town, always have big advertisements and sales, so I'll bet you could find something decent there, too.

latinfridley said:
I think it would be helpful to everyone to list the apt complex or condo location where everyone is going to be living this fall to get a general idea of the distribution of BCM students in Houston:
So I'll start. Please feel free to add to the list.

Distribution of BCM students in Houston:

Lanesborough - Go-Spurs

Can someone tell me whether or not a track (i.e.- research, inter.health,geriatrics, etc..) must be chosen, or can one opt out of doing a track?

Lanesborough - Go-Spurs, CalicoKat

latinfridley said:
Can someone tell me whether or not a track (i.e.- research, inter.health,geriatrics, etc..) must be chosen, or can one opt out of doing a track?

Tracks are optional. :)

at what point in our med school career do we start needing scrubs?

agentorange said:
at what point in our med school career do we start needing scrubs?

The very first week, for when you go into anatomy lab.

But don't run out and buy any yet. Last year, our PRN advisors had tons of them as hand-me-downs from various hospitals around the Med Center that everyone got. So wait to see if anything like that will happen this year.

The Valencia - ut_stephen

Cardboard Box under 59 - SteveUTexas

MadameLULU said:
i recommend not living on the 1st floor at archstone brompton...if you do live on the first floor, i suggest you get flood insurance

did u used to live there?

MadameLULU said:
No, but some of my friends have lived there and weren't happy when they realized it floods over there
that stinks. I hope it doesnt flood where I am. I ended up getting a 1st floor apt cuz they were newly renovated (due to flooding the year before). i think theyre fixing or have fixed the flooding problem. its in their interest to do so

latinfridley said:
that stinks. I hope it doesnt flood where I am. I ended up getting a 1st floor apt cuz they were newly renovated (due to flooding the year before). i think theyre fixing or have fixed the flooding problem. its in their interest to do so

Im skeptical how they've fixed the problems without making considerable structural changes to the grounds (e.g. building flood walls, tunnels, etc), which would obviously diminish the aesthetic aspects of the complex. Not to mention, this is probably less cost effective than letting tenants break their lease and move out in the event that the area floods again. Anyhow, good luck.

MadameLULU said:
Im skeptical how they've fixed the problems without making considerable structural changes to the grounds (e.g. building flood walls, tunnels, etc), which would obviously diminish the aesthetic aspects of the complex. Not to mention, this is probably less cost effective than letting tenants break their lease and move out in the event that the area floods again. Anyhow, good luck.

thanks. I guess I'll deal with it if it happens. *fingers crossed*

latinfridley said:
thanks. I guess I'll deal with it if it happens. *fingers crossed*

You can check your renter's insurance policy to see if it excludes flood, then call your agent and find out how much it would be to include it. Renter's insurance is really cheap and can be useful since you're subject to your neighbor's actions, like fires, overflows, leaks, etc. Good luck!

Hey SteveUTexas,

I would advise against living on the 1st floor of the Cardboard Box under 59. I hear it floods pretty badly during our summers.

The 2nd floor is pretty bad too, actually.

Greenbriar - redbeans

redbeans said:
Greenbriar - redbeans

Id be at the greenbriar there with ya redbeans......if baylor had let me in that is......hey, where's the rice?

curlycity said:
You can check your renter's insurance policy to see if it excludes flood, then call your agent and find out how much it would be to include it. Renter's insurance is really cheap and can be useful since you're subject to your neighbor's actions, like fires, overflows, leaks, etc. Good luck!

Cool. Thanks for the advice! :)

Lanesborough - Go-Spurs, CalicoKat, riverie
Greenbriar - redbeans