Official 2020-2021 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personal reasons and conflict dates. 2 programs were due to conflicts (1 conflict was because they scheduled me for an interview during ACG) the rest just seemed like terrible community hospitals in fairly horrible places to live, where they use you more as cheap labor than provide a teaching experience, think the programs that "guarantee" that you'll be ERCP/EUS certified after 3 years.
Thanks for sharing! Seems reasonable. The green card would be significantly helpful now I suspect

Members don't see this ad.

Aside from an interview from my home institution, it's been all quiet on the western front.

Members don't see this ad :)
AMG. Received invite from UC Davis.

Reactions: 6 users
Borrowed this template from other specialty threads. Congrats @Tijou!

IMG:
-

AMG:
UC David - 8/18
University of Rochester - 8/18

Rejections:
-

Reactions: 2 users
IMG:
-

AMG:
UC David - 8/18
Vanderbilt - 8/18

Rejections:
-

Just updated from a previous post!

IMG:
- Virginia Commonwealth University - 8/13

AMG:
UC David - 8/18
Vanderbilt - 8/18

Rejections:
-

Reactions: 1 user
Personal reasons and conflict dates. 2 programs were due to conflicts (1 conflict was because they scheduled me for an interview during ACG) the rest just seemed like terrible community hospitals in fairly horrible places to live, where they use you more as cheap labor than provide a teaching experience, think the programs that "guarantee" that you'll be ERCP/EUS certified after 3 years.

ERCP and EUS certified and get a transplant fellowship in 3 years should of been your programs of choice

Reactions: 1 users
IMG (green card holder)
Steps 1 & 2 26X
low/mid tier university hospital program
4 LOR (3 GI, 1 PD)
30+ posters
1 oral
2 case reports (first author)
3 manuscripts (first author, 1 in a top tier GI journal)
Half a dozen or so second author case reports and manuscripts

Had very few interviews last year and didn't match; but I needed H1B sponsorship and didn't apply broadly.

To fill the gap year, I'm doing a Hepatology/Motility/Nutrition/IBD year right now at a top tier university program.

I applied to a large amount of programs this year, but heard that due to COVID most programs are doing virtual interviews only and will likely be more heavily relying on resumes as a result.

Thoughts on likelihood of match?

@GIFellow2021 help me understand please, to fill a year you are doing Hep/Motility/Nutrition/IBD year ?

ERCP and EUS certified and get a transplant fellowship in 3 years should of been your programs of choice

I'm interested in Academia and research. Getting ERCP certified but publishing no research during GI fellowship does not help me, apart from getting a higher paying job. I would much prefer to go to a University program where I can perform research and publish. Obviously that did not work out for me last year, so this year I will be ranking every program.

@GIFellow2021 help me understand please, to fill a year you are doing Hep/Motility/Nutrition/IBD year ?

Correct, to fill the gap year I'm doing a GI related non-ACGME accredited fellowship.

I'm interested in Academia and research. Getting ERCP certified but publishing no research during GI fellowship does not help me, apart from getting a higher paying job. I would much prefer to go to a University program where I can perform research and publish. Obviously that did not work out for me last year, so this year I will be ranking every program.

Correct, to fill the gap year I'm doing a GI related non-ACGME accredited fellowship.

You are going to have a really hard time explaining the 4 combined non-ACGME programs to any program you interview, I hope you explained the year clearly on the personal statement and have a LOR from each mini fellowship you did

IMG:

AMG:
UC David - 8/18
Vanderbilt - 8/18
Temple - 8/19

Rejections:
-

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG:

AMG:
UC David - 8/18
Vanderbilt - 8/18
Temple - 8/19
Vermont- 8/19

Rejections:
-

IMG:

AMG:
Mayo Jacksonville - 8/14
Temple - 8/19
UC David - 8/18
Vanderbilt - 8/18
Vermont- 8/19

Rejections:
-

You are going to have a really hard time explaining the 4 combined non-ACGME programs to any program you interview, I hope you explained the year clearly on the personal statement and have a LOR from each mini fellowship you did
Not 4 mini-fellowships, it's just 1 of those programs but I do not want to disclose which of those non-acgme programs I'm at because these programs are so small with only 1 fellow and given my other information, it could easily be used to identify me.

Rejection from UC Davis.

IMG:

AMG:
Mayo Jacksonville - 8/14
Temple - 8/19
UC Davis - 8/18
Vanderbilt - 8/18
Vermont- 8/19

Rejections:
UC Davis - 8/19 (IMG)

AMG here,

Step 1: 240s
Step 2: 240s
Step 3: 220s

CS: second attempt
ABIM passed with high percentile on GI sections
Ivy league residency in the northeast
1 year hepatology fellowship (non-ACGME) and currently in NIH fellowship

55 abstracts, 3 in DDW, 1 in EASL, 26 in ACG (all accepted) and 25 in AASLD (submitted), 2 as oral plenary in DDW/ACG conferences
2 paper submitted but more coming
1 NIH grant and 1 internal grant accepted

3 recommendation letters ( 1 from PD and 2 from GI attendings)

any chance?
Thanks

High Chance at the match best chance at NIH Maryland-UM combined and better chances in research pathways.

Good chances
if you applied to all the programs you could afford and ranked all programs

Reformatting to match what we did previous years to be a little cleaner

IMG:
8/13: Virginia Commonwealth University

AMG:
8/14: Mayo Jacksonville
8/18: UC Davis, University of Rochester, Vanderbilt
8/19: U of Vermont, Temple

Rejections:
8/19: UC Davis (IMG)

IMG:

AMG:
8/19: U of Vermont, Temple, UVA

Rejections:

Not sure if people would want to use this or not, but someone asked earlier about an excel spreadsheet and there was concern about "unhelpful edits," so I made a google form that deposits into a (non-editable) excel spreadsheet. Check out the link here and let me know if people want to use this instead of copy and pasting the list with every post.

Also though.... no harm if people want to stick with what we're doing.

AMG - MD grad, good Mid level school
MPH - good school.
Step 1 - 215-220
Step 2 210s
CS: pass first attempt
Step 3 200s.
IM: Mid-lower level U affiliated.

5 pub med publications
1 Other conditional accepted
1 book chapter GI
2 oral presentations
3 abstract ACG accepted

3 GI letters excellent.
1 PD excellent.
applied to 190 + programs

chances? Thanks

AMG here,

55 abstracts, 3 in DDW, 1 in EASL, 25 in ACG (all accepted) and 25 in AASLD (submitted), 2 as oral plenary in DDW/ACG conferences

any chance?
Thanks
"Chances?" GTFO here. you have an NIH grant and went to ivy league... what do you think?

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
AMG here,

55 abstracts, 3 in DDW, 1 in EASL, 25 in ACG (all accepted) and 25 in AASLD (submitted), 2 as oral plenary in DDW/ACG conferences

any chance?
Thanks

What happened to the CS? Hopefully that won't be an issue with more heavy emphasis on objective scores this cycle.

IMG:

AMG:

Rejections:
8/20: University of Rochester (IMG)

Rejection from Rochester all around. The google form posted yesterday also included an IMG submission for U of Florida Jacksonville so I'll add that here.

IMG:
8/19: U of Florida Jacksonville

AMG:

Rejections:
8/20: University of Rochester (IMG and AMG)

I also got a rejection from Rochester. Sort of bummed as they have a history of being IMG friendly.

MPH - good school.
Step 1 - 215-220
Step 2 210s
Step 3 200s.

5 pub med publications
1 book chapter GI
2 oral presentations
3 abstract ACG accepted

3 GI letters excellent.
1 PD excellent.

chances? Thanks

Interested

I don't have anything to add aside from an appreciation for everyone contributing to this thread. I look forward to having a collegial cohort as we all navigate through the new and foreign world of virtual applications.

Last edited:
Anyone hear back from Vanderbilt after replying to the interview email?

I was surprised to get an interview and now I’m thinking it was probably a mistake

MPH - good school.
Step 1 - 215-220
Step 2 210s
Step 3 200s.

5 pub med publications
1 book chapter GI
2 oral presentations
3 abstract ACG accepted

3 GI letters excellent.
1 PD excellent.

chances? Thanks

Im just a fellow applicant but based on the info you provided, you have AMG and decent research working for you. Low step scores and what sounds like a community IM program working against you. You’ll likely get screened out from a bunch of places based on step scores. If your letters are as excellent as you say they are then that will help. If I were you, I’d ask your mentors if they have connections at the programs you applied to and have them at the ready to make phone calls around the first week of September if the interviews aren’t coming in. Seeing as how you’re applying to every program under the sun, I presume you’ll match.

I was surprised to get an interview and now I’m thinking it was probably a mistake

Don’t worry the PC hasn’t yet replied to me either.

I haven’t heard back either. Not worried. Congrats on the interview!

Curious what people think regarding how many interviews are offered per spot; does a program with 4 spots interview like 30 people or like 80.

Does anyone know if there is a master list of the non-ACGME, one year programs? The Motility, Hepatology, Nutrition, IBD, etc years?

Last edited:
Curious what people think regarding how many interviews are offered per spot; does a program with 4 spots interview like 30 people or like 80.

8 to 10 a spot. it all depends on the program

IMG:
8/13: VCU
8/19: U of Florida Jacksonville

AMG:
8/18: UC Davis, U of Rochester, Vanderbilt
8/21: Rutgers RWJ, Boston U

Rejections:
8/20: U of Rochester (IMG and AMG)

Does anyone know how the application review process works? I'm guessing different institutes do it differently but any insight on how they review a large amount of apps etc?

Thanks in advance

Does anyone know how the application review process works? I'm guessing different institutes do it differently but any insight on how they review a large amount of apps etc?

Thanks in advance
Everyone does it differently. They can use filters to filter out certain step scores or IMG status unfortunately. Even by number of publications, AOA status. Then they divide them up amongst faculty or selection committee and review/assign interview slots

Does anyone know if there is a master list of the non-ACGME, one year programs? The Motility, Hepatology, Nutrition, IBD, etc years?

IBD: Google visiting IBD fellowship for fellows you will see the programs on C&C foundation. email, call and the rest is about how good you can present your self. No point in doing IBD if you can't scope

Motility: Places are: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA • Augusta University Medical Center, Augusta, GA • Medical College of Wisconsin (Adult) and Children's Hospital of Wisconsin (Pediatrics), Milwaukee, WI • Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, OH (Pediatric) • Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA • Temple University, Philadelphia, PA • Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, University Medical Center, El Paso, TX • University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI • Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Salem, NC • Washington University, St. Louis, MO

You have to join ANMS to get the full benefit.

Hepatology: Rutgers, Baylor, https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/ReportRun
most transplant centers offer 1 year hepatology fellowship and most have or going to apply for pilot program (Combined)

Nutrition: Nutrition Fellowship Training Program
or just google it. you have to be innovative and actually see what each program needs.

Best bet is Hepatology Year at a liver transplant center.

Reactions: 2 users
IBD: Google visiting IBD fellowship for fellows you will see the programs on C&C foundation. email, call and the rest is about how good you can present your self. No point in doing IBD if you can't scope

Motility: Places are: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA • Augusta University Medical Center, Augusta, GA • Medical College of Wisconsin (Adult) and Children's Hospital of Wisconsin (Pediatrics), Milwaukee, WI • Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, OH (Pediatric) • Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA • Temple University, Philadelphia, PA • Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, University Medical Center, El Paso, TX • University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI • Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Salem, NC • Washington University, St. Louis, MO

You have to join ANMS to get the full benefit.

Hepatology: Rutgers, Baylor, https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/ReportRun
most transplant centers offer 1 year hepatology fellowship and most have or going to apply for pilot program (Combined)

Nutrition: Nutrition Fellowship Training Program
or just google it. you have to be innovative and actually see what each program needs.

Best bet is Hepatology Year at a liver transplant center.

Why is Hepatology better than IBD, nutrition, motility?

Why is Hepatology better than IBD, nutrition, motility?

Hepatology makes around 6 to 9 months of GI fellowship.
You publish, you make connections and you apply the same year or year after.

IBD, Nutrition and motility you will not be able to use the knowledge when you graduate since you will not be able to perform procedures.

with hepatology at least you can work and you will eventually get GI.

But I am speaking by my observation.

I never did hepatology year, but if it was not for personal, world (extra outside factors) , I would have done an Advance fellowship in Transplant

at what point do you panic and start emailing PC/PDs?

Panic is too strong of a word here but from what my mentors/PD have told me, the likely appropriate time to reach out to programs is the first week of September which also sounded reasonable to me. It seems the large majority of programs have not sent out interviews yet and I imagine this coming week will be when a lot of programs do just that. So the week after that is probably a good time to reach out.

Unless however, there is a program you really want to go to that you know for a fact has already sent out invites, then definitely reach out to them or have a mentor do so on your behalf.