Official 2020-2021 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
at what point do you panic and start emailing PC/PDs?
Agreed with @HatTricks01. I have heard from friends at other programs and committees have not even completed reading applications yet since this year is likely more apps than previous years. I would wait at least till September

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Agree with the other posters - much to early to fret. GI notoriously offers interviews late. I do think the majority of mine were in by the first 2 weeks of September though if I recall.

Emailing PC/PD had a low, but decent rate of return from those in my class applying into GI last year (on average seemed like 1 interview for 4 emails sent).

I would recommend as the other posters said:
- Only email programs that you are extremely interested in (quite the headache to do this for all)
- It is reasonable to send an email if you know interviews went out from this place and you didn't get one (maybe you are not in their first wave of candidates, but someone might cancel)
- Otherwise, wait til the first week of September.

Even a few friends I know that are VERY competitive (multiple pubs, chief resident, high tier program) are only sitting on a few interviews at this point -- don't panic, its still very early!

Hepatology makes around 6 to 9 months of GI fellowship.
You publish, you make connections and you apply the same year or year after.

IBD, Nutrition and motility you will not be able to use the knowledge when you graduate since you will not be able to perform procedures.

with hepatology at least you can work and you will eventually get GI.

But I am speaking by my observation.

I never did hepatology year, but if it was not for personal, world (extra outside factors) , I would have done an Advance fellowship in Transplant

What kind of jobs can you get with a Hepatology non acgme year?

Thanks for all your advice on these matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the other posters - much to early to fret. GI notoriously offers interviews late. I do think the majority of mine were in by the first 2 weeks of September though if I recall.

Emailing PC/PD had a low, but decent rate of return from those in my class applying into GI last year (on average seemed like 1 interview for 4 emails sent).

I would recommend as the other posters said:
- Only email programs that you are extremely interested in (quite the headache to do this for all)
- It is reasonable to send an email if you know interviews went out from this place and you didn't get one (maybe you are not in their first wave of candidates, but someone might cancel)
- Otherwise, wait til the first week of September.

Even a few friends I know that are VERY competitive (multiple pubs, chief resident, high tier program) are only sitting on a few interviews at this point -- don't panic, its still very early!
I agree, according to the that google doc (if you believe it), only about 10 programs have sent anything out. I think the next 2 weeks will have a ton of volume.

Hey fellows.... have been following these posts for a while.. thanks for all your input... lets hope we all get good number of interviews.... what is a decent number of interviews to help us match?

Hoping this week brings activity like all of you said! Just updating this activity from the google doc

IMG:
8/13: VCU
8/19: U of Florida Jacksonville
8/20: St. Luke's Hospital, University of Iowa

AMG:
8/14: Mayo Jacksonville
8/18: UC Davis, U of Rochester, Vanderbilt
8/19: U of Vermont, Temple, UVA
8/20: VCU
8/21: Rutgers RWJ, Boston U, University of Southern Alabama

Rejections:
8/19: UC Davis (IMG)
8/20: U of Rochester (IMG and AMG)

Hey fellows.... have been following these posts for a while.. thanks for all your input... lets hope we all get good number of interviews.... what is a decent number of interviews to help us match?

Charting Outcomes of the Match: https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/2018-Charting-Outcomes-SMS.pdf

PDF page 73 has a graph of depicting chance of matching depending on how many places you graph based off what type of applicant you are.

Now, the downside is that it is a few years old, but also this is COVID times and programs received twice as many applications as usual to give about the same interview spots, so who knows what's going to happen

Last edited:
I was trying to see if I could find a more recent Charting Outcomes of the Match: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/upl...ng-Service-1st-Edition-Published-May-2013.pdf

PDF page 57 has a graph of depicting chance of matching depending on how many places you graph based off what type of applicant you are.

Now, the downside is that it is a few years old, but also this is COVID times and programs received twice as many applications as usual to give about the same interview spots, so who knows what's going to happen

What has covid to do with the number of applications?

• Hmm
What has covid to do with the number of applications?

Because people aren't going to do in person interviews and everything is virtual, I've heard from contacts at different programs, my home program, and other mentors that most applicants applied to as many programs as they could because they had more financial means to and because without travel days, they could fit more interviews in, and a lot of people thought well "what's the harm?". So PDs are going through many, many more applications to give about the same (or very slightly higher) number of interviews.

It's too early to see if that means people will eventually drop when they get enough interviews and there'll be a second wave of interview invites like in previous years or there won't be.

Because people aren't going to do in person interviews and everything is virtual, I've heard from contacts at different programs, my home program, and other mentors that most applicants applied to as many programs as they could because they had more financial means to and because without travel days, they could fit more interviews in, and a lot of people thought well "what's the harm?". So PDs are going through many, many more applications to give about the same (or very slightly higher) number of interviews.

It's too early to see if that means people will eventually drop when they get enough interviews and there'll be a second wave of interview invites like in previous years or there won't be.

I agree..... Will just have to wait and see I guess. Let's hope this week is better for everyone.

Programs really should have supplemental applications this year because of the absurd number of applications they’re receiving. Few people will cancel any interviews because why would they? It’s just a couple hours of zoom. I imagine a lot of disappointment for applicants and programs this match but we will see.

Programs really should have supplemental applications this year because of the absurd number of applications they’re receiving. Few people will cancel any interviews because why would they? It’s just a couple hours of zoom. I imagine a lot of disappointment for applicants and programs this match but we will see.
Thats assuming the number of interviews offered is increased (im not sure it is); I feel like the borderline applicants are the ones most likely to be affected; as above average applicants will still receive their normal (if not more) invites

Thats assuming the number of interviews offered is increased (im not sure it is); I feel like the borderline applicants are the ones most likely to be affected; as above average applicants will still receive their normal (if not more) invites

Completely agree. Who knows, theoretically if that's the case, I wonder if there's be some more spots to scramble into if all the above average applicants keep all the extra interviews. I know usually there are barely any unmatched positions; just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those top applicants will get in somewhere but in the meantime they will take average applicant spots for interviews to programs that they wouldn’t have considered otherwise. Well see I guess.

Ohio State sneaking in on a Sunday night...

IMG:

AMG:
8/23: Ohio State

Rejections:

No interview invites or any responses yet. I will probably reach out in September like many people are posting. If anyone could comment on my chances, please let me know - thank you!

AMG
MD grad, mid level medical school

200s Step 1
210s Step 2 CK
1st pass CS
210s Step 3
Residency in mid-tier, University affiliated

1 PD LOR - Excellent
1 APD LOR - Excellent
2 GI LOR - Excellent

7 publications (2 are first author, 1 in GI, rest is mix of cards, heme/onc, ID, but mostly retrospective studies)
7 GI abstracts/posters accepted at ACG, 1 with presenter award
5 other abstracts/posters
1 oral presentation

Applied to 120+ programs, but majority along east coast.

Thank you all again.

Reactions: 1 users
What kind of jobs can you get with a Hepatology non acgme year?

Thanks for all your advice on these matters.

Academic and Affiliated, straight Hepatology Attending at a liver transplant center. Hepatologist for GI community programs and Hospital. Once you like 3-4 months in and attend couple of liver meetings, you get the trend of the jobs. Pay is like a Hospitalist with a more precision in wrvu generation.

But every Hepatologist that I have known has matched or worked for the GI program for like 1-2 years and matched and than did advance since they just fall in love with Hepatobilliary diseases

Email PC ask if interviews have been sent out.

Always email PD to see if interviews have been sent out why you did not recieve one. You may get one and you have to kill it at the interview to match.

Be polite, kind, wish them to be safe and well --- I know we all already doing that

Still nothing for me besides home institution. This is pretty discouraging so far.

Still nothing for me besides home institution. This is pretty discouraging so far.

No reason to be discouraged -- if anything, lets be thankful that programs are actually taking time to look at apps rather than quickly screening based on step scores and home institution

No interview invites or any responses yet. I will probably reach out in September like many people are posting. If anyone could comment on my chances, please let me know - thank you!

AMG
MD grad, mid level medical school

200s Step 1
210s Step 2 CK
1st pass CS
210s Step 3
Residency in mid-tier, University affiliated

1 PD LOR - Excellent
1 APD LOR - Excellent
2 GI LOR - Excellent

7 publications (2 are first author, 1 in GI, rest is mix of cards, heme/onc, ID, but mostly retrospective studies)
7 GI abstracts/posters accepted at ACG, 1 with presenter award
5 other abstracts/posters
1 oral presentation

Applied to 120+ programs, but majority along east coast.

Thank you all again.
I am almost in the same boat you can see my stats in a previous post. Haven’t heard anything either. I applied to 190+ programs. What are you planning to do if it doesn’t work out this year? Best of luck.

IMG:

AMG:
8/24: UCSD

Rejections:

IMG:

AMG:
8/24: UCSD

Rejections:

Congrats on the interview. Did you include a LoR from a GIM attending when you applied to UCSD?

Congrats on the interview. Did you include a LoR from a GIM attending when you applied to UCSD?

Thanks! And no, I don't have a letter from a medicine attending. I guess it's not a strict rule? And if you look at their website, under letters it just says "attending physician." The last time I checked, gastroenterologists are also attendings, lol. I presume they intentionally leave it vague for the purposes of allowing you the opportunity to provide a letter from ANY attending who knows you well which is a nice gesture.

I will admit that I too am guilty of this. Definitely did not apply to "as many programs as I could," but maybe ~15 more than I "should" according various advisors. Quite honestly, I probably would have over-applied regardless of the pandemic. While my application may be strong in other avenues such as board scores, home program reputation, and letters (maybe? IDK), my research CV pales in comparison to both my real life colleagues and internet stranger colleagues here. I only intend on going through this process once, lol. If it's any reassurance, I have every intention of canceling interviews if I end up getting "too many." I even intentionally scheduled ones that I anticipate possibly cancelling later in the season so that others could benefit should I choose to decline.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys, Is it possible we can split the list into IMG requiring Visa and IMG not requiring Visa as well?
Thank You and all the best for the season ahead.

I know that it is discouraging, but from what I have been told, AMGs from good programs and good CVs tend to get interviews earlier. Most programs will take at least 3-4 weeks. From this thread, it appears that only 16-17 programs have sent interviews so far, which is less than 10 percent of the programs. I guess we can start panicking once 90% of programs have sent out interviews.

I know that it is discouraging, but from what I have been told, AMGs from good programs and good CVs tend to get interviews earlier. Most programs will take at least 3-4 weeks. From this thread, it appears that only 16-17 programs have sent interviews so far, which is less than 10 percent of the programs. I guess we can start panicking once 90% of programs have sent out interviews.
I agree, I feel like this next 2 weeks will have the most movement; Id be curious if programs will send out more in waves

I think w/ zoom interviews, there will be less cancellations of interviews, as people will not have travel issues.

I agree, I feel like this next 2 weeks will have the most movement; Id be curious if programs will send out more in waves

I think w/ zoom interviews, there will be less cancellations of interviews, as people will not have travel issues.
Yep. From talking with my PD, he said there were discussions about limiting the total number of interviews per applicant so that top candidates don't hoard them. Obviously, ERAS didn't implement anything this cycle but hopefully the fortunate among us are kind enough to spread their wealth.

Yep. From talking with my PD, he said there were discussions about limiting the total number of interviews per applicant so that top candidates don't hoard them. Obviously, ERAS didn't implement anything this cycle but hopefully the fortunate among us are kind enough to spread their wealth.
How would they implement that? Impossible this cycle, but in future cycles it would require all programs to adhere to a centralized system for offering interviews which would ensure #interviews/applicant could be tracked

IMG requiring Visa:

IMG without visa:

AMG:

8/24: UCSD, Cincinnati, University of Missouri-Columbia, Louisiana State University, University of Colorado

Rejections:

AMG - MD grad, good Mid level school
MPH - good school.
Step 1 - 215-220
Step 2 210s
CS: pass first attempt
Step 3 200s.
IM: Mid-lower level U affiliated.

5 pub med publications
1 Other conditional accepted
1 book chapter GI
2 oral presentations
3 abstract ACG accepted
2 other abstract su

3 GI letters excellent.
1 PD excellent.
applied to 190 + programs

ZERO interviews

AMG - MD grad, good Mid level school
MPH - good school.
Step 1 - 215-220
Step 2 210s
CS: pass first attempt
Step 3 200s.
IM: Mid-lower level U affiliated.

5 pub med publications
1 Other conditional accepted
1 book chapter GI
2 oral presentations
3 abstract ACG accepted
2 other abstract su

3 GI letters excellent.
1 PD excellent.
applied to 190 + programs

ZERO interviews

Many programs may have filtered you out because of your step scores. At my home program, I was told by the PD that they don't generally look at IMGs under 240 and AMGs under 220; and that program is only mid-tier. Only thing I can say that has worked for me in getting past filters is referrals from faculty and/or current or former fellows.

Feeling very dreadfully like the top tier AMG candidates applied very broadly because of virtual interviewing, and are now "hogging" all the interview slots. I haven't gotten a single interview that wasn't from a direct referral. The Program Directors must know that these top tier candidates won't realistically match to their mid-tier program though, right?

The Program Directors must know that these top tier candidates won't realistically match to their mid-tier program though, right?

They definitely know!

ZERO interviews

I would venture to guess that there's a good portion of applicants that still have zero interviews - don't lose hope! But definitely may be worth flexing your connections (if you have any) -- have your letter writers reach out to places they trained or have friends. Pick places that would be a good fit for you (ie don't have your mentor call the #1 program in the country unless you think you're going to wow them in your interview)

Many programs may have filtered you out because of your step scores. At my home program, I was told by the PD that they don't generally look at IMGs under 240 and AMGs under 220; and that program is only mid-tier. Only thing I can say that has worked for me in getting past filters is referrals from faculty and/or current or former fellows.

Feeling very dreadfully like the top tier AMG candidates applied very broadly because of virtual interviewing, and are now "hogging" all the interview slots. I haven't gotten a single interview that wasn't from a direct referral. The Program Directors must know that these top tier candidates won't realistically match to their mid-tier program though, right?
I would like to think that PDs are aware of this issue. In the end their goal is to fill every spot with their top choice applicants (who will LIKELY rank their program), and not just top-tier applicants who are looking for backup programs.

Do almost all fellowship programs qualify you for PSLF? If not, how do you find out? Not that I will have my pick of programs but just curious. Thanks.

IMG requiring Visa:
8/25: Baystate

IMG without visa:

AMG:

8/24: UCSD, Cincinnati, University of Missouri-Columbia, Louisiana State University, University of Colorado
8/25: Duke, Bringham's, MassGen, Beth Israel Deaconess, WashU, Lankenau

Rejections:

Last edited:
Thanks!

IMG requiring Visa:
8/25: Baystate

IMG without visa:

AMG:

8/25: Duke, Bringham's, MassGen, Beth Israel Deaconess, WashU, Lankenau, University of Indiana

Rejections:

I would like to think that PDs are aware of this issue. In the end their goal is to fill every spot with their top choice applicants (who will LIKELY rank their program), and not just top-tier applicants who are looking for backup programs.
Lets hope so. I am afraid that if some programs do go unmatched, they may not enter SOAP. I have heard several stories that in case the program goes unmatched, they just advertise the spot to their own residents and tend to choose from them, since most places with GI programs also have IM residency.
Once again, a lot of programs are still reviewing applications, so we may still get a few more interviews. We will start panicking after 2 weeks lol.

Do most folks have interviews at this point?

I have some interviews, but I've heard from less than 20% of programs I applied to. My application is reasonably strong I think, but not amazing or "top tier."

Do most programs only send interviews in 1 batch or multiple batches?

IMG (Carib grad), MD
Canadian, Need J1 visa
Step 1 - 222
Step 2- 238, passed CS 1st attempt
Step 3- 223
Recent grad from university-affiliated low tier community program
3rd-year chief resident
Currently doing a 1yr fellowship
(First time applying GI)
Took ABIM boards this year

6 publications
2 oral presentations
1 poster presentation
Actively working on 2 projects
3 letters from GI attending- excellent
1 letter from PD - excellent

Applied to >100 programs, Any chances? thank you for your input!
this year, probably on the lower end; given need for visa and IMG

I have some interviews, but I've heard from less than 20% of programs I applied to. My application is reasonably strong I think, but not amazing or "top tier."

Have also heard from about 20% of programs (ie either got the interview or see that they sent out their bolus of invites). I am also working under the assumption that most programs wont send out any significant second wave (maybe an invite here and there if a bunch of people cancel).

thank you for putting this together everyone! Can anyone comment on experience of AMGs who require visa, how the process is going or has gone historically in the past? Unfortunately most of info here is for AMG or IMG who require visa or not, not as many AMGs who need visa :(

IMG (Carib grad), MD
Canadian, Need J1 visa
Step 1 - 222
Step 2- 238, passed CS 1st attempt
Step 3- 223
Recent grad from university-affiliated low tier community program
3rd-year chief resident
Currently doing a 1yr fellowship
(First time applying GI)
Took ABIM boards this year

6 publications
2 oral presentations
1 poster presentation
Actively working on 2 projects
3 letters from GI attending- excellent
1 letter from PD - excellent

Applied to >100 programs, Any chances? thank you for your input!

As a Canadian this year you might see 2 or 3 IV. Visa is an issue

IMG requiring Visa:
8/25: Baystate, Indiana University
8/26: Washington University

IMG without visa:

AMG:

8/25: Duke, Bringham's, MassGen, Beth Israel Deaconess, WashU, Lankenau, University of Indiana

Rejections:

Glad that at least some IMGs are getting interviews (and AMGs as well). For the rest of us - I guess our time will come eventually.

Glad that at least some IMGs are getting interviews (and AMGs as well). For the rest of us - I guess our time will come eventually.
Agreed! Congrats to those, will be patiently waiting along with which I assume to be a good bit of others!