USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
I'll keep it real and post anyways. 219. Got a 243 on UWSA2 4 days before the real deal. Pretty sucky but nothing I can do now. Congrats to y'all who got what you wanted! 219 + DO might be the kiss of death, but gonna keep workin anyways.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have never been so dissappointed in my life.

I have been scoring high 70s, low 80s in UWORLD consistently. I have been moving up in practice tests from low 240s to 250s. I was destined for atleast something in the 240s.

Get my results today- 232.....WHAT THE ACTUALL HELLLL

I give up

Reactions: 2 users
I'll keep it real and post anyways. 219. Got a 243 on UWSA2 4 days before the real deal. Pretty sucky but nothing I can do now. Congrats to y'all who got what you wanted! 219 + DO might be the kiss of death, but gonna keep workin anyways.
I think you'll be just fine! Congrats on being done. It's a huge accomplishment.

I know you didn't get the score you wanted, but I don't think you should be upset given your nbme scores; correct me if I'm wrong, but you scored higher than all of them. You studied hard, and did everything you could.
You're absolutely right. It'll be ok.

Reactions: 1 user
Have never been so dissappointed in my life.

I have been scoring high 70s, low 80s in UWORLD consistently. I have been moving up in practice tests from low 240s to 250s. I was destined for atleast something in the 240s.

Get my results today- 232.....WHAT THE ACTUALL HELLLL

I give up

I'm sorry you didn't hit your goal/expectation. But that is a solid score and you are done with step 1! It's a huge accomplishment.

about a week out.took NBME 19, went to ACOG in SD for 4 days and didn't study at all, came back and studied for two days and took the exam! I felt like going to SD killed half of my knowledge ( u know getting out of studying mode) but guess not!lol

NBME 17: 209 (4 weeks out)
UWSA1: 233 (2 weeks out)
UWSA2: 241 (1 week out)
Uworld first pass %: 68%
Step 1: 239

I'm THRILLED! As a DO, I hope that this score lands me some internal med interviews at university programs in the midwest.
I mentioned before that because NBME underestimates (getting 170/200 = below average? c'mon) and because getting a low practice score would've shaken my confidence, I only took one. I would absolutely trust UWSAs for both their question style, ability to go over answers, and accuracy in predicting your score.

Also, and this is not an exaggeration, I only slept for 45 minutes (5:15-6:00am) the night before because of nerves. And I always get 7-8+ hours even before block exams. So if you can't sleep the night before, it's okay! You'll be ready to go. Maybe even more focused because you don't have the energy to be nervous with that little sleep.

Sidenote: I sprinted around my entire apt complex after my girlfriend read me the report

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NBME 13: 225 (8 weeks out)
NBME 15: 240 (6 weeks out)
NBME 16: 250 (5 weeks out)
UWSA 1: 273 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 2: 262 (1 week out)
NBME 18: 240 (1 week out---- this sucked)
NBME 19: 250 (1 week out)

UWorld %: 73%
Step 1: 263 yay

I studied for 10 weeks total but only 4 weeks dedicated (10-12 hours/day with a day off every ~one and half weeks), with the rest being only ~2-4 hrs a day of just Uworld and reviewing whatever I missed. I used FA and Pathoma for weak subjects only and watched ALL of Sketchy Pharm/Micro. I also started the Zanki deck about three weeks out— I can't recommend it enough especially the pharm section. It helped tremendously.

Coming out of the test I felt like I did pretty poorly and went into a funk. So just remember step's not supposed to feel good, try not to worry about it until you get score.

Overall I would say do well year 1 and 2— that will help the most. Obviously given my practice tests I got lucky with the material on the test but my two cents for making step 1 your bitch is to cut down on the number of resources and just focusing on knowing them really, really (REALLY) well. For me that was UWorld, Sketchy and the zanki cards but for you that might be something different.

GOOD LUCK TO FUTURE TEST TAKERS AND CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE WHO FINISHED!

Reactions: 13 users
You guys...

I got a 243!!! After ditching all common USMLE sense and busting ass for 17 straight days, reading and doing HUNDREDS of pages and questions a day... it all paid off!!

Reactions: 7 users
What is the latest testing date that they are releasing scores for? I've heard June 5-8th possibly? Anyone have scores after that?

Congratulations to everyone receiving their scores! You guys are rock stars!

So Ive been on here complaining about my exam for weeks. I am embarrassed (yet still delighted) to say that i scored at my nbme average despite getting 4 hours of sleep and having pretty bad anxiety the morning of. I also felt horribly after the exam and was hoping to see at least a 240. Everything is relative of course bc 240 is still a good score.

My baseline CBSE 2 months out was very high. However, I did UW, pathoma, and FA all year as well as Rx and kaplan sprinkled in for most systems. I covered almost everything in one year but left rx and kaplan about half blank.

My nbmes were all in the mid 260s and thats where I ended up. I was shocked to see my score because i felt horribly and i made like 10 really stupid mistakes and was worried it was just a small sample of my entire test performance. Im happy to help anyone. I left out specifics for privacy reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Update: 208 on the real thing! Was hoping for at least 210+, but 208 is good enough for what I want to do (family medicine) and honestly I'm just glad I passed after the disaster I had on UWorld sim 2 the week before lol. Hope everybody is happy with their scores :)

Congrats!

I'm posting this for the test takers who passed or will pass with a 228 or below and are perfectly fine with it! :D

CBSA in late March: equivalent of 187-188
UWSA 1 after a week of studying: 160 -- and super depressed afterwards!
NBME 13: 184
NBME 17: 200
NBME 16: 190
NBME 18 a month before: 200
UWSA 2: 228 2-3 weeks before
NBME 15 less than 2 weeks before: 205
June 6 Test Date: 210 and darn proud of it! I started studying on March 26 and was supposed to take it on May 1, flash-forward $160 spent changing my test date 2x and countless hours spent worrying about not passing and I finally took it 3 weeks ago and passed! My prayers have been answered!

Congrats!

That sucks man. At least its over.

So Ive been on here complaining out my exam for weeks. I am embarrassed (yet still delighted) to say that i scored at my nbme average despite getting 4 hours of sleep and having pretty bad anxiety the morning of. I also felt horribly after the exam and was hoping to see at least a 240. Everything is relative of course bc 240 is still a good score.

My baseline CBSE 2 months out was very high. However, I did UW, pathoma, and FA all year as well as Rx and kaplan sprinkled in for most systems. I covered almost everything in one year but left rx and kaplan about half blank.

My nbmes were all in the mid 260s and thats where I ended up. I was shocked to see my score because i felt horribly and i made like 10 really stupid mistakes and was worried it was just a small sample of my entire test performance. Im happy to help anyone. I left out specifics for privacy reasons.
Congrats on your score !! BRAVO !! What should we focus on 2 weeks from the test?

NBME 13: 240
15: 250
16: 255
17: 255
18: 262
19: 255

Real deal: 263.

Ecstatic. Didn't get through UW or FA. However, I spent 500 hours on flashcards throughout MS-2. I assembled my own Step 1 deck using Bros as a base, adding my own mnemonics and screenshots, adding a pharm deck I found on Reddit, adding a Sketchymicro deck from my class, and a "research" deck from Reddit. Watched Pathoma twice.

Will try to answer questions if they come up.
Amazing score !! Congrats !! What should we focus on 2 weeks before the test ?

Just took it

Will share score when it comes out. I didn't have a survey at the end. I just had a screen saying I was done but that doesn't guarantee I finished all sections (I answered every question, so I guess that's just a standardized message). Goal score is 250. I can live with anything 230+.

Practice Scores
U World Average 71% timed random while I was doing organ systems. One week after finishing organ systems, I did last 16 blocks and averaged 75%.

(All taken before studying)
CBSA 190
NBME 13 180
UWSA 180

(2 weeks into hardcore studying)
UWSA 236

(Taken while going through organ systems)
NBME 15 236
NBME 16 232
NBME 17 222
NBME 18 236

(After reviewing all organ systems)
NBME 19 244
Free 117 85%

What I did
Study time: 10 weeks about 8-10 hours a day (took some time out of school's normal curriculum to begin early and lowered my grades a bit for the last module)
U World 1.5X (I did my incorrects and marks after my first run through on tutor mood)
First Aid 2X
Pathoma 2X
Goljan 1X
DIT (About 70% and coupled it with first aid, since I lack the discipline to sit there and read)
Kaplan 70% completion (mostly done through med school)
USMLE RX 70% completion (along with First Aid and DIT to hammer first aid)

Test Experience
Some blocks were easy and felt like NBME 18 and 19. Some blocks were about the difficulty level of U World. It felt like recall questions with weird organisms or drugs as the correct answer were all purposely designed so that someone who knew all the high yield information could effectively eliminate all of the other choices. The most difficult questions had to do with pathogenesis. It was a lot of "can you figure out the most reasonable explanation/mechanism for this common medical phenomena." The physiology was easier than both Kaplan and U World. The pathophysiology was on the same level. I'm generally a good standardized test taker and fast reader, so, when practicing, timing was never an issue. On the actual exam, the easy blocks took me about 40-50 minutes and left me a good amount of time for double checking. However, I needed almost all the time just to get through the tougher blocks. The people at my test center were super slow at signing people in after breaks. I lost a bit of time on my last block. I still managed to finished, but it wasn't a good feeling to see those red digits wind down as I frantically clicked the bubble for my last answer.

I definitely made some really dumb mistakes here and there, especially in the later blocks. Test fatigue is very real. I practiced taking 8 blocks a day on more than a few occasions. However, the pressure and multistep questions on the real deal really do wear you down. By the last three blocks, I started to be less thorough with my reading of questions. But I'm not really going to beat myself up over this because I think test fatigue affects almost everyone and almost everyone makes a few dumb errors they wouldn't normally make due to it.

How I would study differently?
Specifically for STEP 1, I wouldn't study differently at all. I can distinctly remember questions on my exam that I only knew because of a combination of one or two of the resources listed above.

How I would study differently in med school to be in a better position at the beginning of my dedicated study period?
READ more. The exam tests if you know the mechanisms behind disease. All of the rote facts can be readily memorized in a few weeks. It's hard to gain a good background in pathology in that time period. Reading Robbins during your actual coursework is golden. If you had lecture based exams that asked nit picky details off of slides like at my school, time spent reading might take away a bit from grades on exams. However, I think sacrificing your grades a bit to read the right resources more is worth it for two reasons: #1 you gain a broader background and framework to actually understand medicine as a system rather than an assortment of disjointed facts #2 It helps a lot come boards study time, when you start with a strong base of understanding the "why" and the "how" rather than just the "what" of processes.
As promised, here is my score: 247. Long way up from a baseline of 180. Even professors lacked confidence in me, given my baseline and merely average preclinical grades. Work hard and don't listen to the haters.

Reactions: 11 users
Can you describe a bit your Step experience, how you felt, & your practice scores?
Congrats on the 237!!
Thank you
Well I gave my exam on 10th may
I started my step 1 studies during 3rd minor of my MBBS course
I had my college and classes for the college exams!!!
So I managed them and gave first preferrence to step 1
My Nbme scores (in order I gave)
Nbme 17 -211
Nbme 18 -228
Nbme 19 -221
Nbme 15-231
Nbme 16 -236
Real deal -237
So the last Nbme predicted the correct score
Hence I say they are accurate

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like most people outperforming their most recent NBME scores this year. That's in contrast to last years scores thread. What was the average this year?

Here's my breakdown NBME and UWSA:
Baseline NBME: 200
NBME 15: 217
NBME 18: 207 (17 days out, nearly died)
UW1: 249
UW2: 245

Final score 243

NBME 13: 240
15: 250
16: 255
17: 255
18: 262
19: 255

Real deal: 263.

Ecstatic. Didn't get through UW or FA. However, I spent 500 hours on flashcards throughout MS-2. I assembled my own Step 1 deck using Bros as a base, adding my own mnemonics and screenshots, adding a pharm deck I found on Reddit, adding a Sketchymicro deck from my class, and a "research" deck from Reddit. Watched Pathoma twice.

Will try to answer questions if they come up.
No uworld? 263? You sir are an enigma.

Reactions: 1 users
Baseline: 186
NBME 13: 200
NBME 15: 223
NBME 16: 225
NBME 17: 223
NBME 18: 232
NBME 19: 225
UWSA1: 251
UWSA2: 249

STEP 1: 245!!!
Extremely happy. Thank you all for listening to me whine these last few weeks.

Reactions: 9 users
NBME 15: 198
NBME 13: 206
NBME 16: 215
NBME 17: 248 (2 months out)
NBME 18: 240 (1 month out)
UWSA 1 : 254 (7 days out)
NBME 19: 240 ( 6 days out)
UWSA 2: 256 ( 3 days out)
Free 120 : 86 % (3 days out)
Uw 1st pass % : 69 %

REAL DEAL : 248 (Early may)

I am an IMG with very weak basic knowledge, I got straight Ds in my first two years of basic science, so I challenged myself to do Step 1 and I am glad that I did.

I studied along with my clincical rotations so my studying was very inconsistent because of my college exams , I watched kaplan videos with taking notes which took me forever to finish and I wish I did not stress so much about Kaplan I think watching the videos while skimming the lecture notes would be enough , then I did UWorld while writing notes in first aid and watched pathoma twice .
Good luck for everyone taking the test , and congratulations for those who got their scores today.

NBME 13: 250 (12 weeks out)
NBME 17: 252 (5 weeks out)
NBME 18: 250 (10 days out)
NBME 19: 250 (7 days out)
NBME 16: 257 (3 days out)

UWorld %: 80%
Step 1: 253 (June 2)

Happy with my score for sure, but it's strange how I plateaued so early. I definitely felt like I continued to learn, and my UWorld scores kept improving. Yet, my NBMEs (and real Step) stayed the same all along. No idea why. But like I said, very happy with my score.

It was a 228 for US med students and 221 for Canadian med students according to my report
Would someone mind screen shotting the report from your score report about the national averages and SD?

...obviously don't include your score.

I've heard on here that NBME doesn't release scores next week, but on the NBME website it only states "blackout dates" for July 3rd and 4th. Does anyone have reason to believe that scores might be released next Wed (July 5th)? I cant find anything on their site to suggest otherwise.

What did you do in those two weeks to raise your score....uh....40 points lol

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
I basically revamped how I was studying. Instead of reading First Aid and doing UWorld, I went through all of the NBME qiestions that I'd gotten wrong by writing out why the correct answer is correct, why I picked the wrong answer, and why the other answer choices were wrong. And I started seeing a pattern of why I would choose certain wrong answers. I think that ultimately helped me the most in how I'd approach the questions.

damn and here i was hoping june 12 scores would be released. guess will have to wait 2 weeks now. why the 4th of July of all holidays. ohh well.

Nbme 15 -178 3months out
Nbme 17 - 210 2months out
Nbme 18 - 220 4 weeks
Nbme 19 -220 2 weeks
Nbme 13 - 228 5 days

Real deal: 229. Kind of sad I didn't do better but hey I saw this one coming. Never been good at taking standardized test... so I'm actually happy I didn't do worse. Good luck to you all!

UWorld 1st Pass 65%
UWorld 2nd Pass 92%

UWSA1 (May 16) - 249
NBME 13 (May 20) - 240
UWSA2 (May 24) - 239
NBME 16 (May 28) - 244
NBME 17 (May 31) - 240
NBME 15 (June 3) - 248
NBME 18 (June 6) - 242

Step 1 (June 10) - 248