USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
NBME 13: 225 (8 weeks out)
NBME 15: 240 (6 weeks out)
NBME 16: 250 (5 weeks out)
UWSA 1: 273 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 2: 262 (1 week out)
NBME 18: 240 (1 week out---- this sucked)
NBME 19: 250 (1 week out)

UWorld %: 73%
Step 1: 263 yay

I studied for 10 weeks total but only 4 weeks dedicated (10-12 hours/day with a day off every ~one and half weeks), with the rest being only ~2-4 hrs a day of just Uworld and reviewing whatever I missed. I used FA and Pathoma for weak subjects only and watched ALL of Sketchy Pharm/Micro. I also started the Zanki deck about three weeks out— I can't recommend it enough especially the pharm section. It helped tremendously.

Coming out of the test I felt like I did pretty poorly and went into a funk. So just remember step's not supposed to feel good, try not to worry about it until you get score.

Overall I would say do well year 1 and 2— that will help the most. Obviously given my practice tests I got lucky with the material on the test but my two cents for making step 1 your bitch is to cut down on the number of resources and just focusing on knowing them really, really (REALLY) well. For me that was UWorld, Sketchy and the zanki cards but for you that might be something different.

GOOD LUCK TO FUTURE TEST TAKERS AND CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE WHO FINISHED!
Do you remember how many you felt like you got wrong?

I know some people who took it June 10th have gotten their scores today, but I haven't gotten mine yet. Should I be concerned? When can I expect them?

Reactions: 1 user
CBSE in early Feb: 223
13: 225
CBSE in April: 245
17: 219 (freaking out here)
15: 236
18: 250
UWSA2: 245
UWSA1: 262
19: 242
Uworld: 73% i think

Real deal (5/10): 248

Overall very happy. Hit a little rough patch early in my studying but then really went ham on doing questions and improved to where I felt like I should be. Big fan of Sketchy, Pathoma, UWorld and Brosencephalon anki deck.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my score today, really happy. Kinda waited to do a writeup until I got my score. IDK how useful these really are to people, but maybe somebody will get something from it.

CBSE (4 months out) - 233
NBME 15 (5 weeks out) - 244
NBME 16 (4 weeks out) - 250
NBME 17 (3 weeks out) - 242
NBME 18 (2 weeks out) - 255
UWSA 1 (1.5 weeks out) - 258
UWSA 2 (1 week out) - 258
NBME 19 (3 days out) - 248
Free 120 (1 day out) - 90%
Step 1 (May 3) - 255

Dedicated: about 5.5 weeks. UW first pass - 79%, only completed ~50%. Read about half of FA, mostly used it to brush up on stuff I knew I was weak on (biochem, micro, endocrine, GI, pulm). Read about half of Pathoma, again focusing on stuff I was weak on. Did sketchy micro every day, and went through all the videos again in the few days leading up to my test (micro was really the bane of my existence).

If I could do anything differently, it would be to finish going through UW and then reading my notes. Actually, I would just start doing UWORLD at the beginning of 2nd year and do systems along with my course blocks. The understanding that comes from doing UWORLD is really way above any other resource out there. Also, I live in Florida and my family/friends decided that my dedicated time (April) was the perfect time to take a vacation to visit me, and this got in the way of studying way more than I would have liked. I wish I woulda been stronger and protected my time, but it worked out okay. My saving grace was that I made sure I learned and understood stuff extremely well throughout 1st and 2nd year. Went through Pathoma 2x during 2nd year, and skimmed FA before block finals. Did about 75% of Kaplan QBank - it is okay, but nothing close to UWorld. Watched all the sketchy micro videos at least 2x. Also listened to most of the Goljan audio lectures during the year. I would HIGHLY recommend all 2nd years to spend A LOT of time with Goljan's RR Path book. He really outlines physiology and pathophysiology extremely well, and in my opinion that is the core to doing well on Step 1. Don't spend too much time memorizing the nitty gritty from Goljan, but do understand stuff on the systems level and how stuff connects between different systems. Above all, just try to do as well as you can to learn as much as you can during the first two years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
CBSE: 197 (at start of 6 week dedicated period)
NBME 13: 215
UWSA1: 249
NBME 16: 225
NBME 15: 234
UWSA2: 245
UWorld Average (first pass): 71%/ 81st percentile

Real Test (5/3): 247

Hope it helps for anyone trying to predict scores!

Reactions: 5 users
-27d UWSA 1: 251; 123/160
-21d UW Pass 1: 68%
-20d UWSA 2: 254, 133/160
-16d NBME 13: 242, 180/200
-13d NBME 15: 244, 180/200
-10d NBME 16: 242, 177/200
-8d NBME 17: 252, 186/200
-5d NBME 18: 242, 174/200
-3d NBME 19: 252, 187/200

Actual score: 261

Walked out of the test feeling like I got hit by a truck, so getting the score back was a true shock.

OUMED, I think you just read too quickly - it was a 228 for US and Canadian med students with a standard deviation of 21 (I think that's where you got the 221 from).

It's actually not letting me copy directly from the document (maybe we're not allowed?) but the text says: "For administrations between Jan 1, 2016 and Dec 31, 2016, the mean and standard deviation for first-time examinees from U.S. and Canadian medical schools were approximately 228 and 21, respectively, with most scores falling between 140 and 260."
Thanks man. It's weird because that data is for my peer group (news MS-4s).

Didn't really have the great experience I was hoping for

Step 1 (May 26): 218

I contribute it to a limited study schedule but whatever. Hopefully I can still match Rads. Just going to plan on taking step 2 CK early and study throughout.

I only finished half of UW and took two practice tests throughout.

Finally came to terms with my score.

Take my experience as a lesson

Reactions: 8 users
Hi everybody,

Below is my stat

02/25 NBME12: 198
03/26 NBME13: 200
04/22 NBME15: 223
05/06 USWA1: 237
05/15 NBME16: 223
05/21 NBME17: 232
05/28 NBME18: 234
06/04 USWA2: 241

06/08 Real Deal: 234

USMLERx: 79%
Free 120: 81%
Uworld: 1st attempt: 62%; 2nd attempt: 72%
Kaplan: 1st attempt: 62%; 2nd attempt: 73%

Caveat: I took this test at the end of my 3rd year. Obviously, I had forgotten a ton of stuffs as seen through the low baseline in the beginning.

I passed the COMLEX last year in the 620+, hence the 2nd attempt at Uworld and Kaplan this time. I wonder what would have happened if I had taken this beast last year?

I have the dumbest reason for why I didn't take both tests at the same time. I'll just leave it like that for the suspense. #noRegert

Now mama got margaritas to guzzle.

Good luck everybody else.

Wish I had the same experience...

NBME 15: 200 (pre-dedicated)
NBME 16: 217 (4 weeks prior)
UWSA1: 237 (around same as 16)
NBME 18: 225 (2 weeks prior)
NBME 17: 234 (1.5 weeks prior)
UWSA2 : 236 (1 week prior)
Free120: 2 days prior ~85%

JUNE 5 Step 1: 225

I want to do EM so hoping this doesn't shut too many doors (I am DO)

Took the beast 2 weeks ago. These were my practice scores
NBME 18: 230 (4 weeks before)
UWSA 1: 242 (4 weeks before)
UWSA 2: 249 (4 weeks before)
NBME 17: 238 (12 days before)
NBME 16: 236 (11 days before)
NBME 19: 238 (5 days before)

I've done my research and saw a good amount of people who've had 15-20 point increases in the real test compared to their practice scores. I'm wondering if you guys think I can be hopeful to break 240? What about 250?

Thanks in advance and best of luck to those who are about to take it/waiting for their scores!

Real deal: 255

I know some people who took it June 10th have gotten their scores today, but I haven't gotten mine yet. Should I be concerned? When can I expect them?

I don't have an answer, but I'm grateful I'm not the only person thinking this right about now.
I also took mine 06/10 and I'm wondering if scores will be released at all next week or if we'll have to wait 2 weeks.

I know people have waited 2 months for this day, but I'm starting rotations soon and I don't want to have an emotional breakdown in the middle of my surgical rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure whether this will be useful to anyone but if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to attempt to answer them.

School CBSE: 245 (6 weeks out)
NBME 13: 250 (5 weeks out)
NBME 15: 255 (4 weeks out)
NBME 16: 257 (3 weeks out)
NBME 17: 265 (1 week out)

UW %: started in the mid 70s ended in the mid 80s.

Step 1: 267

Didn't do the rest of the NBME's or the UWSA's or the free 120 because I was honestly tired of studying.

Basically the best advice I can give is to do well your first two years. Learn everything you can, because no matter how much you try, you can't learn/memorize all that information in the span of a few weeks if you haven't learned it well the first time through. I used pathoma throughout second year along with sketchy micro and pharm, with FA scattered here and there throughout the year but didn't really go through it until dedicated. Other than that, I did no actual step studying until dedicated. I considered doing a qbank or even UW in the spring semester of second year, but when it came down to it I just decided to focus on classes.

In the end, I did so much better than I thought I possibly could, and was extremely surprised based on how I felt coming out of the test. Thanks to everyone on this forum who has contributed!

I don't have an answer, but I'm grateful I'm not the only person thinking this right about now.
I also took mine 06/10 and I'm wondering if scores will be released at all next week or if we'll have to wait 2 weeks.

I know people have waited 2 months for this day, but I'm starting rotations soon and I don't want to have an emotional breakdown in the middle of my surgical rotation.

I have some friends who took it on June 10th and they got their scores. So I don't know how this will help you. I took it on the 12th and it looks like if you didn't get it today your gonna have to wait 2 weeks.

How many did you think you missed when you walked out?

I can't speak for @LChristmas but I scored a 260 and I am certain that I missed at least 35 from questions I remembered, 4-5 of which I had actually changed from correct to incorrect too and had been kicking myself for the past 3 weeks thinking I did awful so if you're having post-exam anxiety like I did try not to stress it. I know, easier said than done, but just trust your preparation and things will work out.

Gotta pay it forward...

Kaplan qBank (organ-based, timed throughout the year): 80%
Uworld qBank (random, timed during dedicated study): 81%

UWSA 1 (1 month out): 258
UWSA 2 (3 weeks out): 249
NBME 17 (2 weeks out): 242
NBME 18 (1 week out): 261
Step 1: 256

Resources used: First Aid, Pathoma, Anki + kaplan and Uworld qbanks

Exam experience: I felt like the test was really hard. At least 4-5 questions per block where I was like wtf? And another 4-5 questions where I wasn't sure of the answer. Some very easy questions that I could answer in less than a minute but also some hard questions where I had to re-read the stem. It's sorta a mix between uWorld and NBME difficulty wise but the style is unique.

I left the test feeling like I bombed so I guess trust your practice scores!

UW (first and only pass): 66%
Free120 (about 3 weeks out): 77%
NBME 17 (16 days out): 213
NBME 18 (9 days out): 234
UWSA1 (5 days out): 243
UWSA2 (2 days out): 245

Real thing (6/5): 214

Not thrilled with the result. No idea what happened. Will have more uphill battle for one potential specialty, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. Others certainly have more to complain about.

Reactions: 14 users
UWORLD 84%
Kaplan diagnostic 72%
Kaplan Qbank 77% Tutor
USMLERx ~ 75-80% Tutor (I finished this first before Kaplan)
USWA 1 85% 264
USWA 2 91% 266
NBME 13 252
NBME 15 248
NBME 16 255
NBME 17 249
NBME 18 263
NBME 19 252

Real deal: 267

Only tip is studying hard during first 2 years, and be smart about resources. UFAP + Sketchy + 1 or 2 qbanks will occupy most of your time. Do a lot of questions, use Kaplan and USMLERX during 2nd year if you can. By the time you got done with all UFAP and practice exams, TRUST YOUR GUT INSTINCT and don't overthink stuff. Questions will either be stuff you already know, or something you've never seen before. Pick your best guess and move on.

Study period: I didn't plan out anything, goal was just to finish Uworld and practice exams. Took me 75-80% of my dedicated period just for that. Last week was just reading FA, and I didn't even finish it (I went through FA once during 2nd year). While I do think knowing FA will get you those obscure questions, I don't think it is high yield enough compared to Uworld. So don't beat yourself up if you cannot read FA 3x cover to cover.

Disclaimer: I did consistently well in my first 2 years (top 25%).

Reactions: 9 users
NBME 13: 225 (8 weeks out)
NBME 15: 240 (6 weeks out)
NBME 16: 250 (5 weeks out)
UWSA 1: 273 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 2: 262 (1 week out)
NBME 18: 240 (1 week out---- this sucked)
NBME 19: 250 (1 week out)

UWorld %: 73%
Step 1: 263 yay

I studied for 10 weeks total but only 4 weeks dedicated (10-12 hours/day with a day off every ~one and half weeks), with the rest being only ~2-4 hrs a day of just Uworld and reviewing whatever I missed. I used FA and Pathoma for weak subjects only and watched ALL of Sketchy Pharm/Micro. I also started the Zanki deck about three weeks out— I can't recommend it enough especially the pharm section. It helped tremendously.

Coming out of the test I felt like I did pretty poorly and went into a funk. So just remember step's not supposed to feel good, try not to worry about it until you get score.

Overall I would say do well year 1 and 2— that will help the most. Obviously given my practice tests I got lucky with the material on the test but my two cents for making step 1 your bitch is to cut down on the number of resources and just focusing on knowing them really, really (REALLY) well. For me that was UWorld, Sketchy and the zanki cards but for you that might be something different.

GOOD LUCK TO FUTURE TEST TAKERS AND CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE WHO FINISHED!
where can i download the zanki deck

Wait seriously? They don't release any scores next week?

Did anyone that took the test early in June get scores back yet?

Reactions: 1 users
I love this tread! It's so great to see all of these impressive scores that everyone worked so hard to achieve.

UWorld first Pass: 62%
4/22 UWSA1- 234
4/29 COMSAE A- 574
5/6 NBME 13- 205
5/13 UWSA2- 243
5/16 COMSAE E- 664
5/20 NBME 15- 225
5/27 NBME 16- 232
5/29 NBME 17- 225 + COMSAE C- 557

6/4 USMLE Step 1- 232
COMLEX Level 1- ????? (coming soon, but really, who cares....)

I'm completely pleased with this score. I worked my ass off for 6 weeks and exceeded the initial goal I set of 230.
I know this is the Step 1 thread but I included my COMSAES for the DO's on this page as well. Such a relief for this ordeal to be finished. Now on to rotations! Congrats to everyone else who received their scores today as well!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm going to pay it forward in a later post with details, but I wanted to firstly say thank you to you all for keeping me sane with all these posts over the last nearly 2 months. I've struggled a lot lately with feeling like I'm not good enough, so I was worried all day about this score. Tonight I celebrate: 250.

CORRECTION: Tonight we all celebrate. I know what it feels like when we don't get what we want sometimes, but there is a reason for everything. So "good" or "bad", whatever your score, be sure to celebrate the milestone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
CBSE 243 6 weeks before
NBME 17 234
NBME 18 250
NBME 19 248
UWSA1 262
UWORLD 75%

Real deal: 234

I was so scared Id be the one to underperform, never felt like I knew that much or was an exceptional student. So I dunno how I was making marks that 250 students made, well got a reality check when I saw the score report. It was the score I deserved based on how I performed in the 2 years of med school but definitely not how I studied for STEP. I busted my ass for 3 months studying 14-16 hrs a day fully focused, all to push as far past the 250 mark. But then I see this BS as my actual score.

I don't care as long as I get into a radiology program, but it really was a hit to my confidence. I was walking around the past 4 months feeling special like I had some natural smarts for test taking. Nope, the world is cold man.

Reactions: 3 users

I checked their website and the only blackout dates they have are June 3-4th, but Wednesday the 5th is technically not listed. I'm optimistic and I'm just going to check if my permit officially disappears this weekend or not. *crosses fingers*

CBSE 243 6 weeks before
NBME 17 234
NBME 18 250
NBME 19 248
UWSA1 262
UWORLD 75%

I was so scared Id be the one to underperform, never felt like I knew that much or was an exceptional student. So I dunno how I was making marks that 250 students made, well got a reality check when I saw the score report. It was the score I deserved based on how I performed in the 2 years of med school but definitely not how I studied for STEP. I busted my ass for 3 months studying 14-16 hrs a day fully focused, all to push as far past the 250 mark. But then I see this BS as my actual score.

I don't care as long as I get into a radiology program, but it really was a hit to my confidence. I was walking around the past 4 months feeling special like I had some natural smarts for test taking. Nope, the world is cold man.
I just want to give you a hug/beer man

Didn't you take it on the 10th? All my friends who took it then have their scores

Hmm, that's interesting.
Wait, didn't you take it around then too?

Took the test June 10th and still no score.

Same. Well at least no email.

I checked their website and the only blackout dates they have are June 3-4th, but Wednesday the 5th is technically not listed. I'm optimistic and I'm just going to check if my permit officially disappears this weekend or not. *crosses fingers*

Yeah I thought that comment smelled like bs haha.

CBSE 243 6 weeks before
NBME 17 234
NBME 18 250
NBME 19 248
UWSA1 262
UWORLD 75%

I would feel horribly as well just based on expectations... but you should know that youd still interview at many many programs with that score so at the least it doesnt exclude you from the tougher residencies.

This does highlight how important it is to study hard thruout med school. Nevertheless, you managed to do well so keep your head up. These feelings will pass.

NBME 13: 182 (Baseline, 2.5 months before)
NBME 15: 234 (start of dedicated period, 6 weeks before)
NBME 16: 232 (4 weeks before)
NBME 17: 246 (2 weeks before)
NBME 18: 242 (7 days before)
NBME 19: 250 (4 days before)

UWorld First Pass: 71% correct
UWSA1: 264
UWSA2: 266

Real Deal: 258

I am extremely excited and really couldn't be happier. I'm happy that so many people on this forum did so well, and I wish all the best to those who were disappointed. Congratulations to everyone for finishing this chapter in our medical career that brings so much anxiety. All the best going forward!

As far as studying went, I agree with what has been said above, studying during years 1-2 is a key aspect. The people I do know that scored in the 260s-270s worked extremely hard during those first 2 years and accumulated a large knowledge base. I don't feel that any particular strategy is necessarily the best, but keeping it simple, focusing on understanding the principles you learn and the mechanisms behind them and doing lots of questions did it for me.

Reactions: 7 users
Yo guys I got a 228, disappointed but that's average . I honestly thought I failed, so avg for what I want I'm okay with. Majority of my nbmes were btw 228 and 243 . So wide variety . Good luck to the rest of y'all

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wait, didn't you take it around then too?
I took mine on the 8th. I got my score today, and so did all my classmates that I've talked to who took it that week (June 5th thru June 10th). I don't think any of my friends who took it the week of the 12th got theirs back yet.

cool.yea cool but for mine i used FA,pathoma,uworld.as for pharm and micro i used sketchy and i listen to gojan audio like everyday lol.i did 14000 questions in total before i did step 1 and i scored a 268
Did you use anki (broscenpalon or zanki) or firecracker?

Figured I'd do a quick write up for those following trends

UW 1st pass: 80%
NBME 13: 210 (4/17)
NBME 16: 223 (5/16)
NBME 17: 225 (5/26)
UWSA1: 252 (6/1)
NBME 18: 230 (6/5)
UWSA2: 248 (6/6)
NBME 19: 228 (6/6)

Step 1: 237 (6/8)

UW assessments were obviously way over-predictive for me, and not sure why I have a weird ability to do well with UW questions, but overall I'm pleased.

I was always checking this thread when preparing for step and thought that is was really helpful when people posted their scores so here ya go.
1/1: 12-203
1/26: 13-213
3/4: 15-221
3/26: 16-230
4/19: UWSA1-237
5/4: 19-221
5/14: 18-238
5/21: UWSA2-243
5/24: free 120- 86.7%
5/28: 17- 240
6/2: Real Deal: 233

Decided to take NBMES/UWSA throughout the semester to track progress, wish I had saved more for dedicated but I found it helpful to see the score reports/break downs as I continued to pick up steam.
I was really hoping to crack 240, especially with my last few practice test performances. Like many others, I did not feel great after taking step so I was hoping for the best and expecting the worst. Glad that I was able to stay above 230.

Took exam June 8th. Got 246, which is in between NBME and UWSA scores. Gonna think long and hard about which speciality to pursue at this point. Congrats to everyone who got their scores back!

Congrats man!

I took mine on the 8th. I got my score today, and so did all my classmates that I've talked to who took it that week (June 5th thru June 10th). I don't think any of my friends who took it the week of the 12th got theirs back yet.

Just saw your post above.

Looks like plan A is still a go! Congrats man.

I hope I get my ish back next week. Not sure why I didn't get it today, but it is what it is.

Of those I've talked to, the people at my school who took the exam on the 8th got their scores. Those who took the exam on the 10th did not. FWIW

Summary:

4 weeks out: NBME 15-236
3 weeks out: NBME 17-215 (really had a tough day with a 21 point drop)
2 weeks out: NBME 18-234
1 week out: Uworld SA1: 266
Half a week out: Uworld SA2: 244
Uworld %: 74%
USMLE Step 1 (6/7): 251

My best advice is to study hard during the first two years, for your courses only. Study to remember, not just to cram. Study concepts, not factoids (unless they are the things like G6PD--something that you are bound to see on step 1) I only began studying for step 1 about a month and a half out, and that is honestly the only time you need if you provide yourself with a strong base, which should come from your coursework.

I did not come from an ivy league or a highly-ranked allopathic school, and that created this false-sense of insecurity that a score 240+ would be very near impossible. Self-confidence (in my case) has always been an issue, but I can without a doubt state that believing in yourself whilst taking the exam (or any practice exam) will do wonders for you. I learned that around two weeks out...a little late, but didn't let it go. Self-confidence and staying calm is key.

I also hate to admit it, but luck plays into this test. On my test day I had a lot of questions that I instinctively knew by going through Uworld and taking notes on the explanations (never went back through them, but writing things down helps me remember and focus). A lot I did not know. Perhaps those were the sample items that will be used in the future.

I highly recommend Uworld, FA, and Pathoma. I did all of Uworld and went through my misses in Biochem and Pharm because those were my weakest areas. I only went through the organ systems, immunology, and the parasitology section of FA, and only did the organ systems in Pathoma (sans GI, which was our last organ system in school). Traditionally I woke up and watched some Pathoma with breakfast, read through a chapter of first aid, had some lunch did two and a half blocks of Uworld, ran, and then went through my misses I had earlier in the day whilst eating dinner--was finished by 7pm or so each day. I did nothing but a practice exam on Sundays.

Again, I cannot emphasize enough: focus during your first two years, don't worry about step until you have to, put your head down and focus for four or five weeks, and get in and get out.

Keep it up to those who are studying. And for those who are still waiting on scores--nothing comes from fretting over potentially missed questions. Upon leaving the exam I knew I missed 24-25 questions already. Just let it go. Enjoy summer :).

Kaplan diagnostic 60% (Dec 2016)
Kaplan Qbank 71% "Fair Random" (Random from Blocks I had already completed in school) (Oct 2016 - Apr 2017)
Rx Qbank: 78% Module-By-Module (Dec 2016 - April 2017)

Goal: 255

UWORLD 82% Random Timed
NBME 13 225 (3/14)
NBME CBSE 98%/260+ (4/7)
NBME 15 242 (4/29)
NBME 16 255 (5/7)
NBME 18 259 (5/14)
NBME 17 96% (Offline, ~263) (5/25)
NBME 19 97% (Offline) (5/29)
NBME Free120 93% (5/31)

Real deal: 259 (6/2)

The test definitely felt most like NBME 18, but for me seemed more about "Here's a disease you know about. Let me ask you a question about a manifestation you may never heard about, and see if you can use your baseline understanding of the disease to answer this question."

The most helpful things for me were the large number of practice questions I did, SketchyMicro and SketchyPharm (I know some have mixed feelings toward SketchyPharm but for me I absolutely loved it), Goljan Audio during dedicated (listened to this on ~1.6x during runs, which was a good motivation to fit in exercise!), ~1.5 passes through FA near the end of dedicated designed to find tiny details that I was missing or hadn't yet memorized, and perhaps most importantly using Anki to review difficult/incorrect UW questions during dedicated. I don't think I could have retained UW as well without Anki, and I don't think I could have made a "UW Notebook" work for me - Anki does the work of scheduling reviews for you! If I had to study again I'd want to try B&B since it got popular near the end of my study period - I watched a couple videos and they seemed high-quality. If I had to drop a QBank I'd do Rx over Kaplan - even though Kaplan questions are better, doing Rx system-by-system was a great way to figure out what was important, how things are worded, and what I was missing. So I feel like I learned a lot more from Rx than from Kaplan.

Also as the above post mentioned, study with the intent to comprehend vs. to memorize. Doing this throughout the first 2 years helped so much, and hopefully will help with retention during future years. Good luck to all studying, it'll go great!

Last edited:

This is direct from their site.

A. Step 1, Step 2 CK, or Step 3:

Scores for Step 1, Step 2 CK and Step 3 are released each Wednesday. Generally these will include scores for examinees who tested three to four weeks before the release date. However, there are many factors that may delay an individual score release. Usually these will be quickly resolved and the score released in the next weekly cycle. Your registration entity will notify you via email when your score becomes available. When released, your scores will be posted to your registration entity's secure website: for Step 1 and Step 2, either NBME or ECFMG; for Step 3, FSMB. If you have not received your score within eight weeks of your test date, please contact us to determine the status of your score report. Please note that new scores are not released during the week of 4th of July or the week after Christmas.

How many did you think you missed when you walked out?
I can't put an exact number to it. It would not have surprised me if I got my score back and it was ~230. It felt like I was guessing between a good answer and a slightly better answer on every other question. I noticed some wrong answers as I was studying for COMLEX, which was kind of distressing. It was hard to trust my preparation while I was waiting to get my score back.

Haven't really had time to think about things much because of gen surg... But a friend from high school took the exam on the same day I did and has his score back.

I don't...

Yay!

This is direct from their site.

A. Step 1, Step 2 CK, or Step 3:

Scores for Step 1, Step 2 CK and Step 3 are released each Wednesday. Generally these will include scores for examinees who tested three to four weeks before the release date. However, there are many factors that may delay an individual score release. Usually these will be quickly resolved and the score released in the next weekly cycle. Your registration entity will notify you via email when your score becomes available. When released, your scores will be posted to your registration entity's secure website: for Step 1 and Step 2, either NBME or ECFMG; for Step 3, FSMB. If you have not received your score within eight weeks of your test date, please contact us to determine the status of your score report. Please note that new scores are not released during the week of 4th of July or the week after Christmas.

Well.... Frack... Totally overlooked that detail when I read their website, lol. Thank you!

Got my score back today. Walked in feeling unprepared on pharm and walked out feeling pretty bad. I kept calm and cool throughout the test and I think it paid it off.

NBME by school: 205
NBME 13: 205
NBME 15: 217
NBME 18: 225
NBME 19: 223
Real Deal: 231.

Pretty happy with it. Wondering about my chances to match into ER with a 231.

Reactions: 2 users