USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Hi everyone, Mr. MCAT here (hopefully soon to be Mr. Boards hehe). My school sent me an email about people cheating apparently on usmle this year with a cheat sheet with question stems and answers. Has anyone else heard about this? Also, the scores for which test date are going to be released tomorrow? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, Mr. MCAT here (hopefully soon to be Mr. Boards hehe). My school sent me an email about people cheating apparently on usmle this year with a cheat sheet with question stems and answers. Has anyone else heard about this? Also, the scores for which test date are going to be released tomorrow? Thanks.
April 25th to the end of May. And I've heard nothing about cheating.

School twins...

I don't even see how its possible knowing that all of the tests are different. I am hoping everything up to June 7 will be out, but no word yet

Yeah, I was 6/2 and permit is gone.
June 5th, and permit is gone (including some of my friends who took June 5)

I think the announcement only affected those from April 2X - End of May (they weren't guaranteed 3-4 weeks), where anything after that is back on track. Only speculation though.

Reactions: 1 users

considering the fact that there are thousands of questions in the bank and everyone has diff tests it'll be damn hard to cheat on STEP.

Reactions: 1 user
I realize the question bank is huge but if they were able to see the individual tests by date then that would be pretty f***ed.

I don't think they are different on the same date unless you can provide a link that proves otherwise. They wouldn't be able to provide an accurate or fair curve unless everyone who took that rest on that day had the same questions. That's the only way they can accurately compare performance.

Unless they had same tests on different dates. But then I'd expect scores would be released for different test dates on the same score release date which isn't how it happens I believe.

I don't think they are different on the same date unless you can provide a link that proves otherwise. They wouldn't be able to provide an accurate or fair curve unless everyone who took that rest on that day had the same questions. That's the only way they can accurately compare performance.
Yeahhhh no. Every person's test is different. They are able to compare different tests because all of the questions in the question bank are well characterized. Thats why the scores are scaled, rather than curved.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are 100% different on the day of. Same testing center same time. different tests.. COMLEX on the other hand is the same

So for all the online uworld % predictors, are we supposed to use our percent correct or the percentile?

Just trying to understand given the recent percentile changes.

Chances of scores being released tomorrow for those who took the test on June 10?

Last edited:

its diff on the same test day, cus a few of us who had it on the same date mentioned diff types of question sets. so yeah.

Guys I have 2 questions.. was really step 1 more of memorizing than thinking? I read students saying if I had to do it again I would have memorized everything on first aid .. how true is that?

My 2nd question, for those who done sketchy Pharm, I read the videos are way too long and not all good. I don't have much time to watch all of sketchy Pharm, do you recommend specific topic/videos ?

Good luck to those getting their scores tomorrow

Chances of scores being released tomorrow for those who took the test on June 10? My permit has been gone.
DAMN thats lucky, you'll prob get it tomorrow (if the link itself disappeared, not the permit). good luck! i took mine june 14 and link is there but permit gone

Guys I have 2 questions.. was really step 1 more of memorizing than thinking? I read students saying if I had to do it again I would have memorized everything on first aid .. how true is that?

My 2nd question, for those who done sketchy Pharm, I read the videos are way too long and not all good. I don't have much time to watch all of sketchy Pharm, do you recommend specific topic/videos ?

its literally impossible to memorize everything in FA

Reactions: 2 users

Hi! I will try to help.

Firstly, I know this doesn't sound the most helpful, but I feel like STEP is a mix of both memorization and thinking - just depending on which type of test you get. That being said, I strongly agree with what other people said prior about reviewing and "memorizing" (or close to it) the first 3 chapters of pathoma, and as much as the biochem and immuno chapter you can muster. THOSE sections I felt carried the most memorization. I was so burnt out by the time my STEP came along (plus some family emergencies that hit the day before - just my luck!), but I wish I had gone back and hit those chapters really hard one last time. Just my two cents!

And Sketchy Pharm (at least for me), was GOLD in a few areas: Psych, Cardio, and Diabetes drugs. I feel like these 3 topics were SO high yield, it's insane! I know I have heard renal drugs are high yield (this is true), but I did not find the sketchy videos for renal very helpful. Knowing the physio alone was more than sufficient for renal... but different insulin types, etc. were very hard for me to remember and sketchy helped.

That being said, i'm almost CERTAIN I missed questions about a little bit of everything (possibly even diabetes drugs), just because during my test day the whole thing was a BLUR. I mean, I remember sitting in 1 place for 8-9 hrs, but I have zero idea how I did.

My best advice would be to cover these topics as best you can - and come the day of, when all else fails, reason your way through it (even if it's a small detail you remember being touched on during your course work). You've got this!

Reactions: 3 users
Chances of scores being released tomorrow for those who took the test on June 10? My permit has been gone.

Is your link still there? My link is there, but it says it's "gone" when i actually click on the link. Not sure what this means. I also took it 06/10. I would love to get scores back tomorrow, but after hearing how long some of our peers have waited I feel like that doesn't seem right to me, lol. I can dream!

So for all the online uworld % predictors, are we supposed to use our percent correct or the percentile?

Just trying to understand given the recent percentile changes.

Sorry to bump this up, anybody have an idea? Just wondering because I dropped from 72nd percentile to 54th..

Random question - but is anyone else's NBME account almost completely blank looking....?
For instance, it shows the box with our test date and "full details" option in it, but um... nothing else?

Update, false alarm.
My browser is wigging out on me.
I need to go to bed. My nerves are at an all time high.

Last edited:
So my exam is in a week or so. It's cram time. So looking back on everyone's exams...when you were taking your exam what are a few areas you wish you would have looked at more right before your exam? So far I have heard:
Pathoma Ch. 1-3
immunology FA
Biochem FA

So my exam is in a week or so. It's cram time. So looking back on everyone's exams...when you were taking your exam what are a few areas you wish you would have looked at more right before your exam? So far I have heard:
Pathoma Ch. 1-3
immunology FA
Biochem FA
Images.. gross, path, X-ray for various diseases. It's one thing to know a heliotrope rash is in dermatomyositis.. it's another to know what it looks like.
Pharm.
Pathoma chapter 2 (I think.. immunology-based)

Is your link still there? My link is there, but it says it's "gone" when i actually click on the link. Not sure what this means. I also took it 06/10. I would love to get scores back tomorrow, but after hearing how long some of our peers have waited I feel like that doesn't seem right to me, lol. I can dream!
When the permit disappears, it's gone completely with no link to click. As soon as you take the test then it says you've already sat for the exam when you click the permit. But there is no permit link when it's gone. That's what people mean when they say the permit disappeared.

Update: took exam 6/7 and I have in addition to a non-existent link to my permit, an option to now order a transciript. I only can assume that means that I have a score somewhere waiting. Been up since 6am British Summer Time...patiently waiting until 4pm to go out drinking with my mates. Agh. Wish I was sound asleep like my peeps in the states

Haha we're not asleep! I'm getting ready to go see patients at 6AM.

Question. I can now apply for a new Step 1 permit, like go all the way through to entering my address, etc. What is the result when other people who are getting there score back today try this?

Just saw the transcript request link under exam history...yeah I don't remember that being there when I checked last night. I hope this means what I think it means...

What link? The "Prepare" box (3rd from right) is just completely empty.
well i guess you've found out by now.

My prepare box was empty too since 2 days post test.

but everyone is referring to the second box should have the top tab "print permit" gone. you shouldn't even have anything to click on. but if its still there then your permit shouldn't be available when you click it.

if youre getting the score today you'll receive an email within the next 2 hours anyway telling you your score is ready to be viewed or printed.

NBME rep told me 11 am EST. they said if u r on the website, stay there , look at/save ur score really quick and sign out; so this way website won't crash and everyone get to see their scores today!

Wrote step on june 5th, should i be expecting mine today?

Yes! I also took it June 5th. I spoke with NBME the other day and they said we should expect to hear within the normal 3-4 week reporting period. Today marks 4 Wednesday's, so I'm sure it's today. Plus, I now have the option to order a transcript! Not sure what that means, but it wasn't there the other day.

I mean, I don't know for sure that a 230 is gonna get a 245...I am just saying that I have seen people who get 230 on 19 and get 245+.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I got 232 on 19 then 240 on the real thing, but I still feel like I underperformed on the real thing (got psyched out in 3rd block, had to do some deep breathing in the middle of it).

Just got my score:

Step 1 May 29th : 255
Step 2 November 2016 : 253

Uworld First Pass : 80%
NBME 17 (3 weeks out) : 252
NBME 18 (2 weeks) : 259
UWSA1 (2 weeks): 258
NBME 19 (1 week): 248
UWSA 2 (1 week): 256
Free 120 (3 days): 93%

Reactions: 8 users