USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
I'm getting my score this Wednesday but I won't check it until I return to the comfort of my home (and have the ice cream and kleenex ready just in case).

I'm having a really good time on rotation and I don't want to know!!!

I suppose this is the benefit of having to wait 10 weeks; you forget about it and focus on what's next.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have a strategy for spaced repetition and daily studying for step 2? Like using firecracker or doing daily UW if IM shelf is coming up? Just want to do something pre-emptive cuz I'm not feeling that confident that my score will turn out that good this Wednesday. It feels like I'll have to go with plan B instead of plan A at this point. I guess my one regret is not studying for step 1 harder in the 5-6 weeks before dedicated began; I'd be feeling a lot more confident had I done that.

Anyone have a strategy for spaced repetition and daily studying for step 2? Like using firecracker or doing daily UW if IM shelf is coming up? Just want to do something pre-emptive cuz I'm not feeling that confident that my score will turn out that good this Wednesday. It feels like I'll have to go with plan B instead of plan A at this point. I guess my one regret is not studying for step 1 harder in the 5-6 weeks before dedicated began; I'd be feeling a lot more confident had I done that.

It's been tough to get a lot of studying done with 12 hour days, but I've been trying to do about 10-15 Uworld questions a day on average, and making flashcards for concepts from them. I've also been reading corresponding sections of step up to medicine/step up to step 2CK, as well as watching the online med ed videos. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users

same boat. let's just hope we will be the rule rather than the exception in terms of practice test scores vs. real score. I'm sure you did well, but to answer your question, i'm going to be doing IM UW questions daily with plans to finish it in my 8 week IM rotation, plus anki cards for concepts i don't know.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have info, experiences, etc. on the DIT diagnostic exams? Deciding whether to take them or Kaplan #2
I heard that they were pretty first order fact questions and provide you with a % correct rather than a score at the end. I decided not to do them and have been happy with the extra NBME I was able to complete instead.

I heard that they were pretty first order fact questions and provide you with a % correct rather than a score at the end. I decided not to do them and have been happy with the extra NBME I was able to complete instead.

ok thanks. I'm saving 18 for next week, but have done 12, 16-19, UW 1 &2, Kaplan 1. Thoughts about kaplan 2 vs earlier NBME's?

whats a better use of my time? reading through FA from cover to cover or do all the questions from Kaplan in my weak areas

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Weak areas, its active learning of whole concepts whereas another cover to cover you're only going to grab smaller details. (but ultimately depends on what type of learner you are)

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to mentally prepare myself for the score report on Wednesday...

Will our number just be in that box, or do we have to open something to see it?

Weak areas, its active learning of whole concepts whereas another cover to cover you're only going to grab smaller details. (but ultimately depends on what type of learner you are)

I haven't really read FA at all to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm in a similar situation @SynapticDoctah. I decided to read through FA to pick up some of the random details that are tested on STEP 1 like weird micro/side effects. It's painful to read through but I feel like I'm gaining something from it.

I would mostly be doing it for the systems stuff. I am not gonna try and cram any more in my head for micro haha

I haven't really read FA at all to be honest.

Oh.... yeah, then I'd do that for sure. I dk how much time you have, but I like FA Rx videos instead of just reading. They read it to you and incorporate ideas/mnemonics/connections while you read it. Its time consuming but I've personally gotten a lot more memory from it than just reading. A lot of people dont like it though so maybe try b4 you buy.

Oh.... yeah, then I'd do that for sure. I dk how much time you have, but I like FA Rx videos instead of just reading. They read it to you and incorporate ideas/mnemonics/connections while you read it. Its time consuming but I've personally gotten a lot more memory from it than just reading. A lot of people dont like it though so maybe try b4 you buy.

I have 4 days lol

^ 2nd most important imo

Waiting for boards scores is nerve-racking and all but I don't think anything can surpass the anxiety I had before receiving my APGAR score.

Thankfully I did well on that. Can post write-up of that too if you guys want. Been like 21-22 years so I'll definitely have to jog my memory.
Nahhh apgar is important for like a day.... my step 1 score will be written on my tombstone.

do percentiles on nbme's and on the real step 1 correlate? like 94% correct on nbme is a 260 the same as on the real step?

I'll be taking this baby a year from now or so, but after reading this thread for a while I can feel the tension rising... actually made me kinda nervous haha... sending good vibes everybody's way! Wish i was done with it like ya'll are

Took it in may. Got an email from my dean saying it's unlikely I'll get my scores back this week. Any idea if they get some insider information we don't?! My permit disappeared too!

This is just ridiculous why the hell does it take so long for scores to come out, why does it have to be delayed!!! WHAT IS THE DELAY the computer literally chimes out the score the day of the exam. Just a buncha lazy people in the administrative departments these days. Should've had my score like beginning of MAY. We should honestly get refunded some money for them doing this to us.

Wednesday feels so far away and I bet the stupid NBME website will crash anyway so there will be another 3 day delay.

Reactions: 2 users
I took step 1 on June 22, last Thursday and my permit disappeared today, am an IMG and my eligibility period didn't yet ended.so does that mean I'll be expecting my score next Wednesday? I don't think so. So,what does it mean when your permit disappear so fast in less than a week?

I took step 1 on June 22, last Thursday and my permit disappeared today, am an IMG and my eligibility period didn't yet ended.so does that mean I'll be expecting my score next Wednesday? I don't think so. So,what does it mean when your permit disappear so fast in less than a week?

by permit disappear, does that mean you no longer even have the option to click "print permit", or does it just give you a message when you click the link? if the latter, then it hasn't "disappeared" yet. just curious

Okay
by permit disappear, does that mean you no longer even have the option to click "print permit", or does it just give you a message when you click the link? if the latter, then it hasn't "disappeared" yet. just curious
Really? ;o I took mine on the same day and my permit is still there ("the candidate already sat for the exam").
I'm an IMG as well
Okay, Got you. Thank you so much. ..I thought when it says permit not available up on clicking, it disappeared. The link is still there.

I too sat for the June 22nd exam and am already nervous. I constantly have these flashbacks about questions I missed/weren't sure of. I've already counted 17 mistakes and am worried I'm not going to hit my target score. Was hoping to get close to my NBME scores. I took all 6 of them and the lowest was a 250, highest was a 267. I was really hoping to hit that 260 mark but right now, I feel like that's impossible.

I too sat for the June 22nd exam and am already nervous. I constantly have these flashbacks about questions I missed/weren't sure of. I've already counted 17 mistakes and am worried I'm not going to hit my target score. Was hoping to get close to my NBME scores. I took all 6 of them and the lowest was a 250, highest was a 267. I was really hoping to hit that 260 mark but right now, I feel like that's impossible.

It may very well be impossible but it's more likely going to happen that you hit 260 and anyway I can't find any sympathy for you lol

Reactions: 9 users
It may very well be impossible but it's more likely going to happen that you hit 260 and anyway I can't find any sympathy for you lol

Lol not sure if what you said was sarcastic or not but thanks nonetheless. Hope the latter part of what you said comes true though. If it does, I owe you one lol

I know everyone is stressed and I get that, but this whole "permit disappearing" topic that keeps coming up is in no way productive and probably just adds to your anxiety. It seems that for some the permit stays, for others it disappears when their testing window is complete, and some people it just disappears randomly. Therefore, the idea that your permit disappearing means you're going to get your score this week is purely anecdotal. Take a deep breath you're all going to do great!

Hey guys! I just took Step 1 today and I'm honestly feeling kind of nervous about it. I have been consistently scoring above a 250 on all of my practice exams, but on step 1 I ended up marking about 45 questions that I wasn't 100% sure about and I missed at least 5 so far. Does anyone have any tips/advice or can tell me how they have fared so far in regards to how many they marked? Thanks!

Hey guys! I just took Step 1 today and I'm honestly feeling kind of nervous about it. I have been consistently scoring above a 250 on all of my practice exams, but on step 1 I ended up marking about 45 questions that I wasn't 100% sure about and I missed at least 5 so far. Does anyone have any tips/advice or can tell me how they have fared so far in regards to how many they marked? Thanks!
haha try marking >70 questions :s rip my residency

There's probably a good chance you failed. I'm only kidding haha. This happens to everyone. Took mine a week ago and I've counted 20-25 wrong (I've stopped counting to be honest) and I'm sure there's many many more. My last NBME was a 242 not great, but also not close to failing! I'm sure we've done fine...hopefully!

If you got all 45 wrong you prolly got 250+ lol. chill. my reasoning being is that = 84% and an 84% on UWSA2 = 256 and that was a little easier than the real deal, so the curve must be more generous on the real thing. I remembered most of my exam and I have pretty much same situation as you here in terms of number marked and number verified wrong, and I'm hoping for 260+ with much confidence.