USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does the scheduling permit always disappear previous receiving step 1 score?. I took it Dec 22nd. Today is my 3rd Wed as well.

I dont know about the permit since mine is not visible anymore and I took it on Dec. 22. I guess we will have to wait another week

I also think so that We will need to wait for another week. Scheduling permit has nothing to do with score release. my permit dissapeared last week

I also think so that We will need to wait for another week. Scheduling permit has nothing to do with score release. my permit dissapeared last week

Yeah so did mine, i think it disappears once your permit expires. there no way around it one more week of torture lol.

I received an e-mail saying my score report will be available after 11 am EST.

(I took my exam on the 15th)

Reactions: 1 users
After the exam I felt okay but as the days went on I started remembering mistakes I made and started obsessing over them..I started to think I would get 210-220 if lucky. But in the end I got the score I wanted :) I also got higher than any practice test I did (both uwsas and nbme 16, 17, 18). So I am very pleased and excited! wish you all the best of luck.

But like I said after the exam I felt okay. There were a lot of questions that were straight out of FA or UWorld and depend solely on you having memorized those points. And some questions that were very VERY similar to nbme and uwsa 2 questions that depend on you having solved and looked through those questions. A few tricky ones that depend on deep knowledge. And of course the "WTF" questions. Overall I say it was a fair distribution. I felt like I made a lot of mistakes though. Stupid ones. I remember about 5 stupid mistakes that I was sure were wrong. And about 10 that I wasn't sure about.

I took UWSA 2 4 days before the exam and got 230...thought I was doomed so I read FA all over again in 3 days. And solved the UWSA 2 questions.. went to the exam and got 10+ points higher. Got a question that was almost identical to one on UWSA 2. No joke.

Don't even get me started on nbmes...highest score I got on those was 225 on nbme 18. Its safe to say I'm officially part of the "screw nbmes" gang.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! new here!
Just got my score :D took examen 11th dec.

UWSA 1: 264 (2 months before)
Nbme 18: 252 (1 month before)
UWSA 2: 265 (2 wks before)
NBME 19: 265 (1 week before)
real deal: 269 :D :D

just fyi, on test day I felt I did horribly, thought it was MUCH harder than nbmes and uw, felt there were many more q's I didn't know. Left the exam only remembering the ones I got wrong and was preparing for a score 20+ below my nbme average. I guess that happens to everyone. So take the advice I didnt and just chill and trust your nbmes
good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Got my score: 262

I took all the NBME tests (listing in order from oldest to newest, not their "form" designation):
1: 240
2: 250
3: 252
4: 265
5: 261
6: 263

After the test I felt I had done "ok." I didn't feel great, but I didn't feel that I had bombed either. It felt quite similar to the NMBE practice tests in terms of difficulty.

Reactions: 5 users
I took the exam on Dec 29. It seems i will get my result at the end of this month or maybe next month

I took mine on the 28th. I was hoping to only have to wait till next week. Hopefully their new year's resolution is to finish last year's results ASAP.

i took it on the 30th. i think we're looking at the 24th for release. hopefully.
That'll be a surprise for me if we get our results this Wednesday since December 15 test takers got their results on January 10 (4th Wednesday). Of course it is not that straightforward but it is just a feeling. I expect on January 24th.

Yes, It actually disappeared early after the exam (The first time I checkedwas 2 weeks after my exam). I don't think there is a relation between it and the score release.
I hope not.I gave on 19th, and mine's still there. I mean, there's nothing when I open the link, but it's still there. It must be the score anticipation paranoia.

I hope not.I gave on 19th, and mine's still there. I mean, there's nothing when I open the link, but it's still there. It must be the score anticipation paranoia.
I dont think the permit has to do anything with the reporting i just think yhe permit may dissappear to some like me weeks before score release depending on when your eligibility period ends. For instance, i took my exam on the 22nd and when I checked after the 31st of dec it wasn't there anymore and that was when my eligibility ended. Hopefully i get my results this Wednesday.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont think the permit has to do anything with the reporting i just think yhe permit may dissappear to some like me weeks before score release depending on when your eligibility period ends. For instance, i took my exam on the 22nd and when I checked after the 31st of dec it wasn't there anymore and that was when my eligibility ended. Hopefully i get my results this Wednesday.

My permit disappeared before my eligibility period ends and I discovered that on the 2nd Wednesday after my exam (may be It disappeared earlier). Next Wednesday is the 5th post exam !!

Looking at the Step 1 and Step 2 threads, I honestly don't think the permit disappearing or appearing is indicative of anything other than anxiety levels!!

It's super hard, but take a deep breath. All of you have worked so incredibly hard for these board exams and throughout your medical education thus far--you deserve this time to celebrate your achievements and take a break in your long journey :)

Took the test in Europe 19th Dec as an IMG.

My permit link is still up. So is my eligibility period though.
Do any of you have the link to extend your eligibility? I think its above the re-print 186 and below Proceed with new application
Update : My permit link just disappeared, even though my eligibility period is not up yet! I'm shaking for tomorrow!!!

r_49124_xXy5S.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I also took the exam Dec 22, I really hope we get the score tomorrow.

If Dec 22 and 21 test takers are waiting for their score tomorrow, i shouldn’t expect my score tomorrow as a Dec 29 test taker.

However the rule is usually when you take the exam on Thursday and Friday, they release the score on 3rd Wednesday but if you take later like saturday-sunday-monday-tuesday, it is released on 4th Wednesday.

Dec21 and 22 test takers break the rule, maybe because of the holiday season.

If Dec 22 and 21 test takers are waiting for their score tomorrow, i shouldn’t expect my score tomorrow as a Dec 29 test taker.

However the rule is usually when you take the exam on Thursday and Friday, they release the score on 3rd Wednesday but if you take later like saturday-sunday-monday-tuesday, it is released on 4th Wednesday.

yeah but they are internationals, American students that took it dec 29-30th should get their score their score tomorrow.

Do you mean students or graduates who took the test at USA? I am an international who took the test in NYC. I also live and work at USA.

If you took the test in the US you should get your score back tomorrow. The whole thing with the "permit disappearing' and then you getting your score usually holds true, I've taken step more times than I like to admit.

Update : My permit link just disappeared, even though my eligibility period is not up yet! I'm shaking for tomorrow!!!

yeah but they are internationals, American students that took it dec 29-30th should get their score their score tomorrow.

Just got my score! Looks like they're catching up with the backlog. Today is exactly the 3rd Wednesday from the 28th.

I am a certified pathologist from Turkey and i have been working as a research fellow at a cancer center in NYC for one year. My plan is to repeat the pathology residency in USA to get certified. I have enough background to fill out my residency application.

Resources: FA+UW (and wikipedia, youtube for certain contexts)
Dedicated Study Time: 6 months (as I explained above, I have a job and work between 8 AM and 6 PM on weekdays)
UWSA1: 231 (two weeks before)
UWSA2: 241 (one week before)
NBME18: 230 (5 days before)
Real Deal: 237 (got my score today)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations! Did u get it by e-mail? I'm still waiting for mine
I checked it on Oasis but got the email 15 minutes later. I scored 20 points higher than my last nbme and 7 points above the highest one.

Good luck for everyone

I checked it on Oasis but got the email 15 minutes later. I scored 20 points higher than my last nbme and 7 points above the highest one.

Good luck for everyone
That is amazing!
There is nothing on my oasis currently, and no e-mail either. Do u think there's still a chance I might get my score? I gave on 19th Dec.

That is amazing!
There is nothing on my oasis currently, and no e-mail either. Do u think there's still a chance I might get my score? I gave on 19th Dec.

You really should. I took mine 9 days after you and got mine.

That is amazing!
From what I saw in the last 2 Wednesdays, Scores are released from 8 to 11 am, So you may get your scores within one hour. Good luck