USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
What level of detail is immunology tested on Step 1? I used Parham for my school's Immuno unit but does USMLE go really in depth in immuno? For example, is it going to be helpful to know many of the CD markers and function, exactly how B and T cells differentiate (at the level of VDJ recombination and gene order), in depth understanding of mast cells, allergy, NK cells, etc., the mechanisms and manifestations of many immunodeficiency disorders, lymph nodes and various lymphatic network pathways, etc. Parham seems more like a reference textbook, sort of like Robbins for pathology, so I'm wondering if I was/will waste time learning and reviewing immuno that deep for step.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's
What level of detail is immunology tested on Step 1? I used Parham for my school's Immuno unit but does USMLE go really in depth in immuno? For example, is it going to be helpful to know many of the CD markers and function, exactly how B and T cells differentiate (at the level of VDJ recombination and gene order), in depth understanding of mast cells, allergy, NK cells, etc., the mechanisms and manifestations of many immunodeficiency disorders, lymph nodes and various lymphatic network pathways, etc. Parham seems more like a reference textbook, sort of like Robbins for pathology, so I'm wondering if I was/will waste time learning and reviewing immuno that deep for step.
It's not that I'm depth at all. Just what's in FA. That's all that's needed.

Did anyone who took the exam feel like there were alot of step 2 ck style questions which included stuff like what would be the best way to diagnose or 2nd line of treatment and stuff like that?

Did anyone who took the exam feel like there were alot of step 2 ck style questions which included stuff like what would be the best way to diagnose or 2nd line of treatment and stuff like that?

Can you give a concrete example? Because there's plenty of that stuff in First Aid. For example, best way to diagnose MS is MRI. Best way to diagnose stroke is noncontrast CT. Second line for OCD is venlafaxine. Etc, etc. Stuff like that is fair game for Step 1.

Can you give a concrete example? Because there's plenty of that stuff in First Aid. For example, best way to diagnose MS is MRI. Best way to diagnose stroke is noncontrast CT. Second line for OCD is venlafaxine. Etc, etc. Stuff like that is fair game for Step 1.
I don't have any Concrete example as such. It's just that a few random posts and someone I know told me I should just brush through step 2 ck stuff and I wanted to know if that was really necessary?

I don't have any Concrete example as such. It's just that a few random posts and someone I know told me I should just brush through step 2 ck stuff and I wanted to know if that was really necessary?
Absolutely unnecessary
Step 2 ck is a separate exam for a reason. Just read your step 1 material well and that's all!

Reactions: 1 users
Well this thread really died out, looking through past experiences has definitely helped though. About 3 weeks to go till my results and eating away at myself thinking of all the incorrects. I can remember at least 10-15 of the 50/50 questions that I got wrong, and that doesn't include the 100% incorrect ones that minority of people get (about 5-10 questions).

How many incorrects were you guys able to recall and how did it correlate to your score? I know you shouldn't be thinking of this but my neurotic ass is dying inside lol.

Well this thread really died out, looking through past experiences has definitely helped though. About 3 weeks to go till my results and eating away at myself thinking of all the incorrects. I can remember at least 10-15 of the 50/50 questions that I got wrong, and that doesn't include the 100% incorrect ones that minority of people get (about 5-10 questions).

How many incorrects were you guys able to recall and how did it correlate to your score? I know you shouldn't be thinking of this but my neurotic ass is dying inside lol.
I marked around 60 questions which meant I was less than 75% sure of the answer. I knew that I got at least 20 incorrect after looking those up and I ended up with a 243

Reactions: 1 users

Hey, don’t stress out. I marked like 10 questions per block on the test, and my anxiety was really bad after I took the test, they were the worst weeks of my life. I had flashbacks about questions I was unsure of, I couldn’t stop thinking about all my marked questions. After I got the result all I can say is to trust your assesment scores, cause I thought I had done really bad but at the end I got 269. There is no point in thinking about the test now, try to relax and have fun.

Reactions: 3 users
The neurotic in me is kicking in. I took Step 1 earlier this month.

Did anyone not finish the Survey at the end of the exam? I was on like question #2 on the survey when the screen just closed and it said I completed the exam. It's hard to find a straight answer on google so I was wondering if this happened to others.
Some say that the survey closes when you run out of total time so it's no big deal. Others "joked" about not completing the survey being an automatic fail. Like I said, the inner neurotic in me is worrying.

Thanks.

what is the probability that smart people like in NBME have not figured out and coded program that way, that if you don't click "end block" your all 40 answers are lost? this sounds radiculous! relax! i have not clicked end block, and the window shut down and told me that the exam was over. that's it

Members don't see this ad :)
whaaaaat? : ))) I took mine on 21st of December. Scores are released in 3-4 weeks right? I think I will get mine on 11 january? 3 weeks
My exam was 18th Dec, So 3-4 weeks means Jan 3 or 10. Your result is no earlier than Jan 10.
I hope to get mine tomorrow, 3 weeks is already along time to wait for a result which NBME already knows since the moment I ended my exam.

My exam was 18th Dec, So 3-4 weeks means Jan 3 or 10. Your result is no earlier than Jan 10.
I hope to get mine tomorrow, 3 weeks is already along time to wait for a result which NBME already knows since the moment I ended my exam.

Good luck with your results! )

i took step 1 on dec 22, I should receive the results next week right??? good luck to everyone that will receive today..

i took step 1 on dec 22, I should receive the results next week right??? good luck to everyone that will receive today..
I also took mine in that period of time, on 21st December. I am not sure that I will recieve it next week, don't know why ))

I just saw a post on fb..people who took the exam on the week of dec 6th got their score today. So it seems like the score comes out the 4th wednesday after your test date

Another week for me and the others who also took it around the 13th :'(

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like holidays did delay the scores then, guess I'm waiting a couple more weeks now. Damn this is stressin.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, what is the consensus on UWSA 1 score correlation? I have about a month left, just got 240. I want to improve and I don't know where this stands, if I am at a 220 for the real thing (aiming 245-250+)

also, anatomy, embryo, histo my weak points. any advice on these?

Did any of you felt confident getting out of the exam?? At first I felt okay coming out of it but as the weeks have passed my confidence have dropped. I had some family emergency right after the test which blocked my brain from remembering the questions and that has me even more nervous. Now with the delay of reporting its even worse.

Did any of you felt confident getting out of the exam?? At first I felt okay coming out of it but as the weeks have passed my confidence have dropped. I had some family emergency right after the test which blocked my brain from remembering the questions and that has me even more nervous. Now with the delay of reporting its even worse.

why do you think that the reporting is delayed? there is said that scores are reported on 3rd or 4th Wednesday ...

why do you think that the reporting is delayed? there is said that scores are reported on 3rd or 4th Wednesday ...

Yeah technically its not 'delayed', its just that a lot of people receive it in 3 weeks. Most people taking in December seem to be waiting 4 weeks.

i feel the same...three more days to go

Yeah technically its not 'delayed', its just that a lot of people receive it in 3 weeks. Most people taking in December seem to be waiting 4 weeks.

yeah that's what I meant I know its not delayed but since most of my friends have gotten their results on the 3rd week.

3rd week of waiting is tomorrow. Hopefully don't have to wait a 4th week. Hopefully didn't bomb the test. Good luck to everyone waiting!