Official 2015 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KushWeedNuggetsStankyLeg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
M2 here. Starting today, I am just going to be reviewing for Step 1 which I am taking next May, and nothing else. Here is my plan:

Oct 23-Dec 31: Memorize FA2014, Watch all of Pathoma
Jan 1-Jan 31: FA2015, Pathoma (pass 2), Kaplan QBank
Feb 1-Feb 28: FA2015 (pass 2), Pathoma (pass 3), USMLERX
March 1- March 31: FA2015 (pass 3), Pathoma (pass 4): UWorld
April 1- Mid May: FA2015 (pass 4), Pathoma (selective topics), UWorld (pass 2), all practice tests

Goal: High number

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
23 Sep 8-11 AM EST (most likely). How were your assessment scores?
Hi everyone I gave my exam on 1st of September
When should I be expecting my results ? 15th or 22nd ?
Is anyone in the same boat as me !?
I didn't find the exam difficult
I thought it was fair and I did ok
Hoping for a good result

UWSA 256
UWSA 254 one month prior both
Nbme 15 256
Nbme 16 256
Nbme 17 256
All 20-15 days before the exam
Free 132 91.6%

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Took my exam on August 17th... Expecting results tomorrow. I am scared =\
I know how you feel, I'm worried too :( Hopefully we'll both do great! How are you going to check your scores? I'm not sure if I should wait for my rotation lunch break to check or just step out for a sec and see them on my phone.

Hey, When are we likely to get an email informing us of our score release? Is it only after they post it on oasis?
I'm so nervous! I know there's still 7 to 8 hours left but I can't help the anxiety. I think I'll end up sick:sick:

Figured I'd update here to put Step 1 behind me for good :p

Score back today: 257

In terms of my practice score/preparation progression: (for reference, since I looked up a bunch of other people's here on SDN while I was prepping, figured I'd contribute)
Used UWorld and First Aid exclusively for 5ish weeks! Did 1 pass through each, then re-did my incorrect questions on Uworld.
Started doing questions out of Kaplan during latter half of second year (72% average)

World first pass: 79% (random, unused)
UWSA1: 259 (3 weeks out)
NBME 17: 262 (2 weeks out)
UWSA2: 265+ (90% 1 week out)

Satisfied with the score, although I would have loved to have broken the 260+ barrier.

Reactions: 4 users
I gave mine a few days back. I am an IMG. In the last month, I had started to average 235 in the NBMEs. I gave 17 a week before the exam and scored 245. I was too saturated with my preparation and decided to go for it. My target was a 250+ but for some reasons, I was not being able to hit that mark in the NBMEs. I was prepared for the fact that the exam would be very challenging compared to the NBMEs. Mine was comparable to uworld regarding the style of the questions and the way to think about things. I don't know if it was the anxiety or time pressure, I was barely getting by the blocks. I was marking around 15-20 every block and that doesn't even mean the unmarked ones were 100% correct. It was such a tough exam. I was sweating throughout the whole exam experience. I always had the knack of messing up a good 1-2 questions every block in the NBMEs due to overthinking and such, so this was no different no matter how much I tried to avoid it. After leaving the center, I felt so defeated. I was not expecting to be marking 15-20 per block and that really took the wind out of my sail.

Nothing is going to change the result, but as days go by, those questions pop on from memory and the number of incorrects keep on rising up. I have counted 25 already. Half of them were miserable mistakes. Alien reasoning from my side which I wouldn't have done back home. So, I feel gutted to miss out on those gimmes.

Pharm: FA didn't cover many pharm questions, only a few of them. I was counting on FA on this one. Had studied Kaplan before, so maybe I couldn't extract stuff from memory.
Micro, Immuno: Couldn't make out 2-3 images, so randomly guessed it. FA takes care of others. Immuno was easy. Basic knowledge was enough.
Patho: Doable. Very confusing, nonetheless. The pressure of everything made it a little harder. Concepts known to me plain cold were giving me second thoughts during the exam. I had done Goljan + Pathoma videos and that helped me to face the questions and make assumptions (hopefully not wrong ones!)
Phsyio: BRS helped me here along with uworld. Had some queer looking graphs but I believe I guessed right on them by eliminating other options.
Anatomy: It was average. FA didn't cover many questions but I could guess them from previous knowledge. I was heavily prepared for neuroanatomy but only a few showed up. Arggh.
Biostats, behavioral science, ethics: Them 'appropriate response' nightmares. Had about 6-7 of them. But, I think I was right on most. So, hopefully I guessed right.
Some stat questions were so long like they filled up the entire page as if it were an essay or something. I just marked them and moved on to other questions and came back to them before the block finished. Had to guess here because little time was remaining to tackle the issue at hand.

Overall: Challenging experience. I felt like I was guessing half of the exam. NBMEs need to be assessed using a pinch of salt because the real exam was totally different to what I was preparing for. I thought my plane got re-routed somewhere else when I sat in front of the computer. Uworld is ESSENTIAL to learn to tackle the questions, to think about what to look for and make educated guesses.

Being an IMG, this was my one shot at one of the most difficult exams I've ever done because I don't have extra things on my CV to help me match. I will try to fetch some observerships later if possible but that doesn't count too much so I absolutely need a good score. My ship could do a titanic here because coming out of the exam, I felt like I have messed up big time. Waiting for the score will be such a pain in the a**.

Good luck to everyone else! As much as its about learning things, its also about tackling questions under pressure. Keep practicing questions until you are tired of it. And when you feel tired, splash your face with water and do them again. And I would like to thank the forum members from whom I have learnt a lot. Pray for me guys.

This was my post a while back . Got my scores today : 245.

The way I was panicking after the exam, I thought I would be happy to get in the 230s. My goal was to cross the 250 mark. Well, missed by a few, but I am very happy with what I have got even though some stupid glaring mistakes didn't help my cause.
Again, no matter how the exam goes, NBMEs seem to work a treat in predicting the results like everyone have been saying. Trust the NBMEs. They are there for a reason. Exam was way difficult but I guess its the same for everyone else. So, all in all, I am satisfied with my result. I hope to do better in CK and make myself competitive. The advice of everyone here has been a real blessing and cannot thank you guys enough. I will stick around and try to give back what I have got from here. Best of luck to everyone.

Reactions: 9 users
Hey everyone, I've been a lurker from early this year and am so grateful to everyone here for their amazing advice. I'm in my third year of medical school in my country. I gave my step 1 on the 19th August and I got my score yesterday.
I was so thrilled to find out that I got a 269!!! :soexcited: I am over the moon about this. I'm still in shock and often keep checking my score report to make sure I wasn't mistaken.
My preparation for step was not very organised at all. after my second year finals, I started preparation with an intention to study for 6 months alongside my clinics, but more often than not, I couldn't work in even an hour of usmle prep. So ultimately I suppose I did it in about 3 to 4 months. I used my summer break for most of my studying and gave the exam a little after that.
I used almost the same materials as everyone else here, but was very patchy. I would say one advantage I had was that my school insisted that we read Big Robbins for Path, and Guyton and Ganong for Physiology. I realize these are all really huge and detailed to get through and I definitely do not recommend them (nor did I use them) during actual usmle prep. But the foundation they gave me in my first two years of med school was solid. Our Anatomy course was also really detailed, so though so much of it is really volatile, a few concepts still remained that I could use during the exam.
During the 4 months I studied, I used the following resources
Physio - BRS
Path - goljan, Pathoma videos (these were amazing! Kept me from getting bored)
Pharma - Katzung review. (Very concise and great for MOAs of drugs)
Beh Sci and Biostats: This was not part of our syllabus for the first two years, I solely relied on the Kaplan videos by Prof Daugherty and BRS Beh Sci
Micro: made ridiculously simple (good, easy read before jumping into firstaid and questions)
Anat: I didn't know what to read here. I used the Kaplan videos again for gross, Neuroanat made clinically simple, and Firstaid for the rest
Biochem: Only firstaid. I was afraid about not having read anything else, but Firstaid is excellent!

I went through first aid only once completely, After that I mainly referenced it while doing questions
Qbanks: I started using them right from the beginning of prep and I think this helped me immensely. I would read and then do Uworld Q of that topic and write down the new stuff I learnt into first aid. I did U world 1.7 times, (didn't get time to complete second pass) first pass- 83%
I did Kaplan q on random and this was good in trying to simulate tests. Kaplan isn't that great on info, but it gets the tiny stuff you tend to miss.
NBMEs :
5 about 230 in the beginning of prep 4months before the exam
7 about 250 (somewhere in the middle of prep)
13 online 258 (after one complete read through, 1 month before test day)
12 - offline 188/200 (a week before)
15 - 192/200 (a week before)
11 - 190/200 (2 days before)
132 fred - 97%
The actual test day was nightmarish. I couldn't sleep from nerves and ultimately got only 2 hours of really light sleep.
The test itself felt horrible. I suppose the lack of sleep compounded the issue! I took the first three blocks in a stretch which, in hindsight, I felt was a stupid thing to do considering I was tired. I'd advise a short break between each block.
There were a lot of questions where I could narrow it down to two options and then tear my hair out trying to pick one. Only my last block felt remotely similar to an NBME, the others were crazily hard to get through with so many bizarre questions. After my NBME scores, I'd been hoping for a 260+ but walking out of the test, I was sure I'd missed it massively.
Right now, with the result out, I'm ecstatic! Your NBMEs truly are predictive, though I recommend doing them online if you can.
The exam is hard and I suppose they want us to feel ambiguous about it. But hard work, clear concepts and a tonne of questions to practice definitely pay off.
Everyone on SDN is awesome and I'm so glad to have stumbled upon this forum. Congrats to everyone else who has gotten their scores so far! And Good luck to those yet to take the exam!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I've been a lurker from early this year and am so grateful to everyone here for their amazing advice. I'm in my third year of medical school in my country. I gave my step 1 on the 19th August and I got my score yesterday.
I was so thrilled to find out that I got a 269!!! :soexcited: I am over the moon about this. I'm still in shock and often keep checking my score report to make sure I wasn't mistaken.
My preparation for step was not very organised at all. after my second year finals, I started preparation with an intention to study for 6 months alongside my clinics, but more often than not, I couldn't work in even an hour of usmle prep. So ultimately I suppose I did it in about 3 to 4 months. I used my summer break for most of my studying and gave the exam a little after that.
I used almost the same materials as everyone else here, but was very patchy. I would say one advantage I had was that my school insisted that we read Big Robbins for Path, and Guyton and Ganong for Physiology. I realize these are all really huge and detailed to get through and I definitely do not recommend them (nor did I use them) during actual usmle prep. But the foundation they gave me in my first two years of med school was solid. Our Anatomy course was also really detailed, so though so much of it is really volatile, a few concepts still remained that I could use during the exam.
During the 4 months I studied, I used the following resources
Physio - BRS
Path - goljan, Pathoma videos (these were amazing! Kept me from getting bored)
Pharma - Katzung review. (Very concise and great for MOAs of drugs)
Beh Sci and Biostats: This was not part of our syllabus for the first two years, I solely relied on the Kaplan videos by Prof Daugherty and BRS Beh Sci
Micro: made ridiculously simple (good, easy read before jumping into firstaid and questions)
Anat: I didn't know what to read here. I used the Kaplan videos again for gross, Neuroanat made clinically simple, and Firstaid for the rest
Biochem: Only firstaid. I was afraid about not having read anything else, but Firstaid is excellent!

I went through first aid only once completely, After that I mainly referenced it while doing questions
Qbanks: I started using them right from the beginning of prep and I think this helped me immensely. I would read and then do Uworld Q of that topic and write down the new stuff I learnt into first aid. I did U world 1.7 times, (didn't get time to complete second pass) first pass- 83%
I did Kaplan q on random and this was good in trying to simulate tests. Kaplan isn't that great on info, but it gets the tiny stuff you tend to miss.
NBMEs :
5 about 230 in the beginning of prep 4months before the exam
7 about 250 (somewhere in the middle of prep)
13 online 258 (after one complete read through, 1 month before test day)
12 - offline 188/200 (a week before)
15 - 192/200 (a week before)
11 - 190/200 (2 days before)
132 fred - 97%
The actual test day was nightmarish. I couldn't sleep from nerves and ultimately got only 2 hours of really light sleep.
The test itself felt horrible. I suppose the lack of sleep compounded the issue! I took the first three blocks in a stretch which, in hindsight, I felt was a stupid thing to do considering I was tired. I'd advise a short break between each block.
There were a lot of questions where I could narrow it down to two options and then tear my hair out trying to pick one. Only my last block felt remotely similar to an NBME, the others were crazily hard to get through with so many bizarre questions. After my NBME scores, I'd been hoping for a 260+ but walking out of the test, I was sure I'd missed it massively.
Right now, with the result out, I'm ecstatic! Your NBMEs truly are predictive, though I recommend doing them online if you can.
The exam is hard and I suppose they want us to feel ambiguous about it. But hard work, clear concepts and a tonne of questions to practice definitely pay off.
Everyone on SDN is awesome and I'm so glad to have stumbled upon this forum. Congrats to everyone else who has gotten their scores so far! And Good luck to those yet to take the exam!
Congrats on a fantastic score.

When you say Goljan for Path, do you mean his audio or RR?

My exam was around 70% microbiology 20% ethics questions 5% statistics 5% everything else
Really didnt expect that!!!

Was this essential to your success? Or do you think you could have done just as well without it?
It definitely helped. I learn best with repetition, preferably from different sources, so goljan RR was good to read alongside Pathoma videos and Uworld Qs, while annotating Firstaid. I only read RR once, didn't try memorizing things, and mainly focused on the clinical descriptions.

Does anyone know if we receive a different score report in the mail? E.g. one that states what % correct we got on the exam? I read somewhere that someone had a score report that specifically stated what % correct they got on the exam, but I could be mistake. All my online score report has is a 3 digit score and performance ranges for each section. Not sure if I should be expecting anything else.

Does anyone know if we receive a different score report in the mail? E.g. one that states what % correct we got on the exam? I read somewhere that someone had a score report that specifically stated what % correct they got on the exam, but I could be mistake. All my online score report has is a 3 digit score and performance ranges for each section. Not sure if I should be expecting anything else.

That's all you get

Reactions: 1 user
Late to the game but got 240.

Total prep time was 3.1 months.
Starting score = 188 UWSA (overpredicted by 20 when I took it)
Class rank = marginal passing (bottom quartile)

Used FA mainly (read twice and some a third time)
Used BRS physiology for cardio and GI only
DID NOT use any other resource for neuro and that was a weak section for me
Used AS MANY YOUTUBE TUTORIALS AS I COULD FIND
Ended up missing many easy questions on real deal
Did ALL NBMEs that are available online AND went back to correct every single question -> this hands down was the highest yield after UWorld

QBanks: Did UWorld x2, Did USMLE-RX x 1
As you can see, I had almost no foundation, yet I was still able to make it in the end.
If I can do it, you can for sure...
Any questions? Please ask.

Reactions: 4 users
No schools do. It's only done under extraordinary circumstances. I had to talk to a committee of med school faculty and staff and outline exactly what my plan was to study this thing and how much time I needed. Basically, it is on my permanent record (maybe/maybe not?) but I don't care because toward the end of dedicated, I was still failing my nbmes. I'd rather take the 240 over a fail and retake anytime as I'm sure you would easily agree to as well.

I basically took the maximum that can be offered without severely compromising my schedule. That luckily ended up being 3 months total including dedicated which was almost 2 months for my school. I had to get rid of a rotation toward the beginning and that would have come back to bite me later but I plan to take an extra year after this year so it won't affect my application cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Any other questions? ALSO I STRONGLY RECOMMEND PEOPLE TO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU'RE IN THE SITUATION WHERE YOU ARE STILL FAILING YOUR NBMES BECAUSE YOUR REQUEST WILL BE SHOT DOWN IF YOU AREN'T FAILING!!!

Last edited:
Late to the game but got 240.

Total prep time was 3.1 months.
Starting score = 188 UWSA (overpredicted by 20 when I took it)
Class rank = marginal passing (bottom quartile)

Used FA mainly (read twice and some a third time)
Used BRS physiology for cardio and GI only
DID NOT use any other resource for neuro and that was a weak section for me
Used AS MANY YOUTUBE TUTORIALS AS I COULD FIND
Ended up missing many easy questions on real deal
Did ALL NBMEs that are available online AND went back to correct every single question -> this hands down was the highest yield after UWorld

QBanks: Did UWorld x2, Did USMLE-RX x 1
As you can see, I had almost no foundation, yet I was still able to make it in the end.
If I can do it, you can for sure...
Any questions? Please ask.

Hi Dave,

When you said that you ended up missing easy questions on real deal, are you referring to just questions related to neuro or any disciple ?

Any other questions? ALSO I STRONGLY RECOMMEND PEOPLE TO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU'RE IN THE SITUATION WHERE YOU ARE STILL FAILING YOUR NBMES BECAUSE YOUR REQUEST WILL BE SHOT DOWN IF YOU AREN'T FAILING!!!
You said you had a low base to start off with yet only used brs physio to brush up on one or two systems, did you just jump into FA straight after that. If so was the low base merely a result of lack of core repitition for memory rather than inadequate basic understanding? What I am trying to get at is did you just throw yourself into FA and learn it cold or try and understand it followed by questions. i would also be interested in the strategy you used for uworld and rx.

You said you had a low base to start off with yet only used brs physio to brush up on one or two systems, did you just jump into FA straight after that. If so was the low base merely a result of lack of core repitition for memory rather than inadequate basic understanding? What I am trying to get at is did you just throw yourself into FA and learn it cold or try and understand it followed by questions. i would also be interested in the strategy you used for uworld and rx.

It was both actually. The basic understanding was mainly in the physio-heavy sections. I am terrible at memorizing so I tried literally everything. What I didn't tell you here (which is why I encourage those of you who want to try my method to keep asking me questions) is that I used both FA flash facts and memorang. Memorang is great for repetition of mainly micro and some other memory-heavy things but it is very abbreviated and only is useful if you have a good understanding of first aid already including its acronyms. Using memorang alone is a bad bad idea because it is basically first aid ABBREVIATED in flash card format.

A much much better flash card system is First Aid flash facts. These cards actually have legitimate questions that make you think a bit before you come up with the answer. They also refer to the exact FA page where the answer is found. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought triple pass during christmas break and familiarized myself with the material by going through all of flash facts at least once before dedicated - going through the first aid express videos AND going through FA book at least 2x. I think that alone would have been sufficient to get me in the 220s. Note that my score jumped from 205 to 226 solely based on finishing USMLE-RX, using flash facts (although I never completed the entire thing so didn't bother to put it as a resource) and also using FA express (again never completed the thing so I didn't bother to list it as a resource).

I think memorizing FA will get you to a pass easily. It's just that nobody can memorize everything or at least very few can in a short amount of time. If you truly memorized say 80% of the highest yield stuff in FA then you will pass the exam.

Also, what you fail to mention are perhaps the 2nd most important resource by a very slight margin --> those are QUESTIONS!! If you don't know how the material is tested, you can still get stuff that you think you know wrong. You must practice with UWorld and NBMEs at the very least. USMLE-RX is good for solidifying FA concepts.

Again, I didn't use the Goljan books aside from doing the Goljan Qbank for more questions (it comes with his rapid review book - in retrospect they are not very representative of actual test questions) and still got 240 and I got many easy questions wrong. This is to say you don't need goljan or other resources to do well.

FA book, UWorld, ALL NBMEs and UWSAs are plenty to get you 240+ easily if you truly understand them and I'm saying this because I'm proof that it worked for me... and I did not have complete mastery of these materials.

This may have been answered before, but I'm hoping those who have taken the exam recently can give a more accurate answer. What did you use of Ethics? Is Master the Boards Medical Ethics by Conrad Fischer the source you would recommend? I was told by the medical bookstore in my city that the 3rd edition is (1) from 2012 and (2) going out of print and no new edition coming out as of yet.

Any suggestions or input would be great.

^I didn't use anything outside of FA and UWorld for ethics b/c it was low yield imo. Of course this heavily depends on the score you're shooting for but I encountered maybe at maximum 5 ethics questions (probably fewer) where I had to guess between 2-3 answers. I think time is better spent in other weak areas unless you have no weaknesses except behavioral. I scored in the higher performance for behavioral for context.

This may have been answered before, but I'm hoping those who have taken the exam recently can give a more accurate answer. What did you use of Ethics? Is Master the Boards Medical Ethics by Conrad Fischer the source you would recommend? I was told by the medical bookstore in my city that the 3rd edition is (1) from 2012 and (2) going out of print and no new edition coming out as of yet.

Any suggestions or input would be great.
Its a good source and a quick read

^I didn't use anything outside of FA and UWorld for ethics b/c it was low yield imo. Of course this heavily depends on the score you're shooting for but I encountered maybe at maximum 5 ethics questions (probably fewer) where I had to guess between 2-3 answers. I think time is better spent in other weak areas unless you have no weaknesses except behavioral. I scored in the higher performance for behavioral for context.
Great score mate! My congrats!
What about anatomy? How are the questions on anatomy looks like? Are they simple like axilla injury and so on(which is in FA) or are they like what are the consequences of ligation of second branch of Adamkiewitz artery?

^so I will preface that I almost failed anatomy during first year. I had to remediate the final exam. Therefore, you are right to assume that my anatomy knowledge is next to none. Given this context, you may be surprised that my performance graph showed anatomy and embryology to be solidly above borderline. No, I didn't get exceptional high performance that gives you an extra asterisk by the bar on the graph but it was solidly above borderline performance.

How did I achieve this given I have no anatomy knowledge? The reason is that there are very few left field anatomy questions on my particular test at least. I still had quite a few anatomy questions but they can be figured out if you have basic background knowledge and common sense.

Basically, know your CT/MRI/X-rays well for the body and you can infer answers based on common sense
For CNS, I used this --> http://w-radiology.com/cerebral_ct.php
For everything else, I used essential anatomy on the ipad - FA definitely covers the most highly tested material but do not expect all of it to show up.

For muscles and movement, I honestly don't think there were too many questions from my exam but a helpful outside resource for me was this website: http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/menu/menu.html

I also focused on pelvic anatomy because it always comes up year after year in these threads - know your nerve innervations and pathways for arteries/veins --> basically don't do more than what is in FA but make sure you know that stuff well

There's some stuff that FA obviously won't cover that you will have to rely on your previous knowledge for. Even with little previous knowledge, I was still able to score solidly above borderline performance.

Moral of story --> know everything in FA and supplement with above 2 sites and you should be golden. Maybe look over essential anatomy if you really have time to burn.

For neuroanatomy, I used this iphone app that was perfect with transverse cross sections of the brainstem and how the spinal tracts flowed. It explained stuff in better detail than FA, so I recommend you try it if you're weak in neuroanatomy --> it helped me get a few questions right on test day just having gone over it for 3 hours 2 days before the exam --> it's called PocketBrain and you do have to buy it --> I think it was 5$ when I bought it but well worth the money

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Also, for next year's students who happen to stumble upon this post before dedicated - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE familiarize yourself with your study resources such as FA well in advance of dedicated. The main reason I got so screwed over and had to request for more time is because I just had no idea how to go about studying efficiently. Had I known how to study for the boards and what truly worked for me - everyone uses the same resources but there are more and less efficient ways to use them - then I would not have had to spend agonizing weeks trying hard but making no progress. I didn't really begin to figure it out until the end of my study period.

If I had to do it all over again, as a student with weak foundations, I would have started out with the USMLE-RX Qbank and did that simultaneously with FA and review of the FA flash facts for questions and concepts I missed in USMLE-RX. I would study these daily and also study pharm/microcards daily (lange was really great for pharm regardless of a time crunch and microcards per Phloston's suggestion were awesome but far too detailed - use FA only for both if you're in a time crunch). Then, I would read FA once from cover to cover and use BRS physiology and Pathoma to supplement on weak concepts in FA BEFORE starting UWorld. I would then do UWorld until the last 10 days interspersed with an NBME every weekend. Then crank out as many NBMEs that are left for those last 10 days before taking the real deal. I think that is probably the most efficient method for a weak student with poor foundation.

What I did instead was waste the first 1.5 months on doing UWorld random and in timed mode and not gaining anything because I had no foundation and doing it in timed random mode means I can only learn information in a patched manner. In the end those 1.5 months were mainly wasted as I started with a 200 UWSA (~180 nbme) and only improved to a 188 nbme score at the end. And trust me, I put in effort and hours to study but I wasn't studying smart so no amount of effort actually resulted in any improvement.

Things began to be much much better once I discovered USMLE-RX and used it.

Thanks for the detailed writeup @davezhan. Don't let anyone tell you your score was too low to be of use on SDN - your in-depth post-fight analysis was extremely useful.

Congrats and the very best of luck to you - your journey is only beginning.

For anyone interested USMLE RX flashcards are $1 with promo code: FFNOW.
Not sure for how long. And its on the 3month order.
Also I personally have not used the cards but know friends who have and they seem to like it.

Happy Studying!

Also, for next year's students who happen to stumble upon this post before dedicated - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE familiarize yourself with your study resources such as FA well in advance of dedicated. The main reason I got so screwed over and had to request for more time is because I just had no idea how to go about studying efficiently. Had I known how to study for the boards and what truly worked for me - everyone uses the same resources but there are more and less efficient ways to use them - then I would not have had to spend agonizing weeks trying hard but making no progress. I didn't really begin to figure it out until the end of my study period.

If I had to do it all over again, as a student with weak foundations, I would have started out with the USMLE-RX Qbank and did that simultaneously with FA and review of the FA flash facts for questions and concepts I missed in USMLE-RX. I would study these daily and also study pharm/microcards daily (lange was really great for pharm regardless of a time crunch and microcards per Phloston's suggestion were awesome but far too detailed - use FA only for both if you're in a time crunch). Then, I would read FA once from cover to cover and use BRS physiology and Pathoma to supplement on weak concepts in FA BEFORE starting UWorld. I would then do UWorld until the last 10 days interspersed with an NBME every weekend. Then crank out as many NBMEs that are left for those last 10 days before taking the real deal. I think that is probably the most efficient method for a weak student with poor foundation.

What I did instead was waste the first 1.5 months on doing UWorld random and in timed mode and not gaining anything because I had no foundation and doing it in timed random mode means I can only learn information in a patched manner. In the end those 1.5 months were mainly wasted as I started with a 200 UWSA (~180 nbme) and only improved to a 188 nbme score at the end. And trust me, I put in effort and hours to study but I wasn't studying smart so no amount of effort actually resulted in any improvement.

Things began to be much much better once I discovered USMLE-RX and used it.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but who waits until dedicated to even start studying for STEP? You already said you were a lower quartile student. Didn't this perhaps raise a little flag in the back of your mind that you might need to get on the ball a little earlier?

Also you said you didn't know how to study efficiently. The first 2 years of med school are all about figuring this out. What did you do with your time? I am both horrified by your lack of preparadness and amazed that you dodged a nasty bullet. Should I be laughing or crying right now? Great score -- do not recommed your method :p

Just took NBME 12 and got 400=207 and on UWAS-2 = 224, which I took 3-4 weeks ago. My exam is during the last week of October. I'm still working on finishing up on UWq bank 2nd time. How do I get to 230? My biochem, BS, Respiratory are at borderline performance. And physiology and CNS are near upper borderline. My general principles are below broderline and I don't know what that is. I still have NBME 15, 16, and 17 to take. My aim is to at least get 230, what do you guys say I should do?

I would just like to say this forum is for support, encouraging, and helping one another out. The old age saying goes, if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say it at all. I am a little appalled at @Shjanzey comments towards @davezhan. Rather than providing any sort of suggestions that might help someone in their prep @Shjanzey, all you did was put down someone who actually has tried to help other individuals who might be in the same situation. Your comments had no purpose.
We are all old enough to not bully another individual, we're in med-school. We are all adults. Please start acting like it.
@davezhan Thank you for taking the time to provide as much feedback as you could.

Reactions: 11 users
Just took NBME 12 and got 400=207 and on UWAS-2 = 224, which I took 3-4 weeks ago. My exam is during the last week of October. I'm still working on finishing up on UWq bank 2nd time. How do I get to 230? My biochem, BS, Respiratory are at borderline performance. And physiology and CNS are near upper borderline. My general principles are below broderline and I don't know what that is. I still have NBME 15, 16, and 17 to take. My aim is to at least get 230, what do you guys say I should do?

I had the same result as yours in NBME 12 .
I then did subject timed tutor in UW. I read the full explanation for every Q and went back to FA and read the relevant subject, even if I did know it I would read it again or test myself in it just to make sure.
It sure did take a lot of time but it made a huge difference. I did NBME 17 1 month later and got around 240.
Study smarter and you can increase your score.
I also got a low score in general principles , did kaplan genetics again and it helped.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Is anyone expecting their result tomorrow ?
I am
My permit link has disappeared
So scared
When did you take your exam? I have taken my exam on 8th of September, I think I should be expecting my scores on 30th of September, right?