Official 2015 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KushWeedNuggetsStankyLeg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
M2 here. Starting today, I am just going to be reviewing for Step 1 which I am taking next May, and nothing else. Here is my plan:

Oct 23-Dec 31: Memorize FA2014, Watch all of Pathoma
Jan 1-Jan 31: FA2015, Pathoma (pass 2), Kaplan QBank
Feb 1-Feb 28: FA2015 (pass 2), Pathoma (pass 3), USMLERX
March 1- March 31: FA2015 (pass 3), Pathoma (pass 4): UWorld
April 1- Mid May: FA2015 (pass 4), Pathoma (selective topics), UWorld (pass 2), all practice tests

Goal: High number

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Psychology is well covered in FA and and UW
Biostats is also my weak .....I think you should do Biostats atleast once from Kaplan....
Anatomy is definitely not covered well enough by FA and UW...I got lots and lots of questions on it...I think you shouldn't take a chance on this...do at least Kaplan for gross anatomy . ...it's not that lengthy....also read the shelf notes 100 cases for anatomy...it would take around 4-5 hrs. ..

Hi @hekmat, where could I find the shelf notes 100 cases for anatomy.

Thanks for posting all these tips!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys,

I'm in desperate need of help.
My exam is tomorrow.
I took NBME 12 today and got 186.
I took NBME 17 2 weeks ago and got 200.
I thought 12 was obscure and I honestly thought NBME 17 was a lot more straight forward and relevant.
My first NBME was NBME 13 and I got a 132. That was ten months ago. I hadn't started UW.
My UW average first pass is 67% (always timed - unused mixed). I completed it yesterday. My last six blocks were in the 70's-80's.
I've done DIT, Pathoma, Kisspharm, and over 10,000 flash cards on memorang and I've gone through FA many times. I even hired a tutor and finished all of FA with him. I don't understand what happened today with 12. I'm going to try and extend my exam but the prometric website said I'm not able too, I'll call them tomorrow and see what's possible.

But honestly, I'm just down. I've been studying 10-12 hours a day. I've sacrificed happiness, relationships and pleasure for this exam. I was really looking forward to taking it tomorrow and getting it over with but after NBME 12... I can't even explain how I feel at this moment. And again, I was doing well on UW. I'm thinking maybe I should throw in the towel.
My extended eligibility period ends this month, and my school has been on my case to start rotations. I went into a six-year pre-med program in the Caribbean right out of high school... maybe I'm not meant to be a doctor. I'm happy for all of you that have done well. I've put in the effort yet I'm not seeing results. I haven't been this down in my entire life. If you guys have any advice please share. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

My exam is tomorrow.
I thought 12 was obscure and I honestly thought NBME 17 was a lot more straight forward and relevant.
My first NBME was NBME 13 and I got a 132. That was ten months ago. I hadn't started UW.
My UW average first pass is 67% (always timed - unused mixed). I completed it yesterday. My last six blocks were in the 70's-80's.
I've done DIT, Pathoma, Kisspharm, and over 10,000 flash cards on memorang and I've gone through FA many times. I even hired a tutor and finished all of FA with him. I don't understand what happened today with 12. I'm going to try and extend my exam but the prometric website said I'm not able too, I'll call them tomorrow and see what's possible.

But honestly, I'm just down. I've been studying 10-12 hours a day. I've sacrificed happiness, relationships and pleasure for this exam. I was really looking forward to taking it tomorrow and getting it over with but after NBME 12... I can't even explain how I feel at this moment. And again, I was doing well on UW. I'm thinking maybe I should throw in the towel.
My extended eligibility period ends this month, and my school has been on my case to start rotations. I went into a six-year pre-med program in the Caribbean right out of high school... maybe I'm not meant to be a doctor. I'm happy for all of you that have done well. I've put in the effort yet I'm not seeing results. I haven't been this down in my entire life. If you guys have any advice please share. Thanks.

I'm so sorry about what you are going through. If you feel confident & feel you have done all you have done and can pass this exam then that would be the only reason I would say go for it.
Don't give up now! My sincere advice is to extend your eligibility and push for a few more weeks. Raise your score and take the exam. It's not worth failing & a few more weeks won't hurt. You have gotten this far, don't give up!!!
Good luck and wish you all the best. Have faith & don't give up on your dreams!!!

I know it's tiring and a huge sacrifice but think about just a few more weeks and you will know you are over with this dreadful part forever.

I get my score in a few hrs. I hope I pass and if I do I will come on here & give u my personal advice on this exam. I too struggled a lot!

Chin up, it's not over.. it hasn't even begun! You will do & be great as long as you want this!

Guys,

My exam is tomorrow.

i am really sorry to hear this but its happens at times trust me…..i will advice you extend you exam few more weeks maybe till the end of august. because its seems like you have put in the work and maybe you were a little nervous on nbme 12 f and it focused on your weakness too. at least its good you got a 200 on NBME 17 because its seems its supposed to be harder than 12 and u did fine there.

dont be discouraged i am from a caribbean school too and i took UWSA in july and got a 228 and was feeling really good then took NBME 15 and got a 200 i felt bad but not too discouraged about 10 days later i took nbme 16 and got a 194 and it shattered me. i carried for hours that day because i was hoping to see improvement after 10days of handwork. so i decided to study longer even tho i am beyond tired of studying and i want my life back of having fun lol….but i am still here pushing and studying and hoping one of these days i will see a better result. and my UW average was also good btw but i also have bad anxiety issues with nbme compared to when i take UWSA because after reviewing nbme 16 i got some easy points wrong from my bad exam anxiety.
don't give up on your dream you will do well….nothing good comes easy just always think of nbme 17 that you at least passed that one.

Reactions: 1 user
my experience
Final score 263
2013 graduate img
7 months dedicated...after 3 months during house job ...had to start from scratch..
Kaplan 3× (except fr patho n physio)
Pathoma 3× (twice with videos )
Brs physio 3×
Uworld 3×
First aid 6-7× (including 2× with express videos and once with dit)
Solved most of the nbmes offline. ..don't remember the scores..
Nbme 16 online 260 (1 month before)
Nbme 15 offline 190/200 15 days before
Nbme 17 offline 187/200 14 days before
Free 132 93% around 10 days before
The exam was more difficult than anything I had solved. ...closest in style to the free 132 but way more difficult. ..was unsure about 25-30%of the questions..checked 25 unsure questions after the exam. ..got 16 wrong. ..stopped checking after that. ..thought would land in the 240s. .... so trust your nbmes. ...I guess
Congratulations , Which is better Express or DIT?.....DIT 2014 have some topics in each video found only in the study guide and don't present in FA, did u study them well during watching the videos or just understanding these extra information?.....Did u fell that DIT extra information help u answering questions in UW ?

Just got my score back. 192.
I'm a caribbean student, (not top 4 but I'd say #5). Took 8 weeks dedicated study time. Did most of the common study methods with the addition of sketchy mirco, URx, and KaplanQ). Last three NBMEs was 220, 228, 228. I'm so severely sick to my stomach and depressed after seeing that score. It seems like all that work for nothing. Exam day was very difficult, alot of micro and behavioral (my weak areas). I know myself to be a poor test taker but I didn't think it would be this bad. What should I do? Any chance of residency? Any kind of guidance will be helpful.

edit: thank you for the responses and congrats to those who got their scores

How is it possible to get 3 NBME 230 and then get 192?

That's crazy! At least you pass... Try to do better on step 2... Look for FM/IM/Psych programs that have a lot of FMG/IMG...

my experience
Final score 263
2013 graduate img
7 months dedicated...after 3 months during house job ...had to start from scratch..
Kaplan 3× (except fr patho n physio)
Pathoma 3× (twice with videos )
Brs physio 3×
Uworld 3×
First aid 6-7× (including 2× with express videos and once with dit)
Solved most of the nbmes offline. ..don't remember the scores..
Nbme 16 online 260 (1 month before)
Nbme 15 offline 190/200 15 days before
Nbme 17 offline 187/200 14 days before
Free 132 93% around 10 days before
The exam was more difficult than anything I had solved. ...closest in style to the free 132 but way more difficult. ..was unsure about 25-30%of the questions..checked 25 unsure questions after the exam. ..got 16 wrong. ..stopped checking after that. ..thought would land in the 240s. .... so trust your nbmes. ...I guess

I'm in your position right now. I've taken my test on 11 august. I've found some easy questions that I got wrong. The 50-50 questions are killing me. My NBMEs are in the range of 260-270. These 3 weeks are gonna be so long.

I'm in your position right now. I've taken my test on 11 august. I've found some easy questions that I got wrong. The 50-50 questions are killing me. My NBMEs are in the range of 260-270. These 3 weeks are gonna be so long.

Could you please share your experience with us and how you studied with which material? And what you focused on the last month? Thanks and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found about 12 I got wrong (some that were easy as pie) and another 10 50/50 where I wasn't sure the right answer and I got 269 (my write up was on a past page) so trust your NBMEs because I only got a few points below my avg despite how poorly I felt about the mistakes

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please share your experience with us and how you studied with which material? And what you focused on the last month? Thanks and good luck.

Nothing too special. The resources that everyone used. But I used them differently. I used to learn from question banks. Wiki/Google was the best book for me. Getting through FA was so difficult. Till the end, I didn't accomplished a single 'complete' pass through FA. But I would constantly study random pages from FA. My greatest strength probably was the ability to decrypt the 'intention' of any particular question. I was good at that while doing UW.

I found about 12 I got wrong (some that were easy as pie) and another 10 50/50 where I wasn't sure the right answer and I got 269 (my write up was on a past page) so trust your NBMEs because I only got a few points below my avg despite how poorly I felt about the mistakes

You got my heart rate down by 10 (and my respiratory rate by 5). Thanks.

Nothing too special. The resources that everyone used. But I used them differently. I used to learn from question banks. Wiki/Google was the best book for me. Getting through FA was so difficult. Till the end, I didn't accomplished a single 'complete' pass through FA. But I would constantly study random pages from FA. My greatest strength probably was the ability to decrypt the 'intention' of any particular question. I was good at that while doing UW.

Good luck to you ;)

Can you please tell me, when you took your first NBME? After what period of time learning and after how many passes through qbanks? Thank you very much!

Anyone here can help me? I got a 237 on NBME 16 with 5 days left to the exam. I wanted a 240+ - is it still possible? I would have really expected a higher score than predicted by NBME since my UW average in first pass random timed mode was 76%… Which should easily be a 250+!
Would appreciate the input here. Thanks.

Guys,

My exam is tomorrow.

hey did you end up taking your exam? I am kind of in the same boat I just canceled my exam which sucks cuz now i gotta pay the entire fee again. but I rather do that than get stuck with a score I am not happy with. I am an img too. I took ck already and managed to do fine there. this exam on the other hand has been a whole different struggle. Anyway I thought id message and let you know you are not alone. so keep your head up and remain positive. I truly believe anything can be conquered with hard work and persistence.

Sat for the exam today- whew, what a marathon! Felt about on par with Uworld questions in terms of level of difficulty. Some topics covered, some not addressed at all. That's the name of the game with a test that covers all of pre-clinical medicine in 300-ish questions!

Gosh, there really just isn't any way to know everything for this exam (no matter how hard we try). Topics that you think you have down come back to bite you in the butt on the real deal after not studying them for a couple weeks -.-

In terms of my practice score/preparation progression: (for reference, since I looked up a bunch of other people's here on SDN while I was prepping, figured I'd contribute)
Used UWorld and First Aid exclusively for 5ish weeks! Started doing questions out of Kaplan during latter half of second year (72% average)

World first pass: 79% (random, unused)
UWSA1: 259 (3 weeks out)
NBME 17: 262 (2 weeks out)
UWSA2: 265+ (90% 1 week out)

Best of luck to everybody waiting for scores!

Anyone here can help me? I got a 237 on NBME 16 with 5 days left to the exam. I wanted a 240+ - is it still possible? I would have really expected a higher score than predicted by NBME since my UW average in first pass random timed mode was 76%… Which should easily be a 250+!
The UW averages are poor predictors for many reasons, and based on your last NBME it could honestly swing either way. Did you take any other NBMEs?

i went from a 245 on an nbme 17 (very close to my exam) to a 252 on my real thing. these nbmes predict within 10 points, though most of the time you do better on the real thing. go in there with full confidence that you'll pull it off.

Can anyone please advise me? I got 224 on UWAS-2. What score range should I expect if I go for exam next week? Some say I should subtract 25 points....

Last edited:
I'm but just wondering how much should I subtract from it. Some are saying subtract 25 points from UWAS2.
Nobody can tell you. Some people that test underpredicts, some it overpredicts. I know people who had a 40 point difference and some who had <5.

Can anyone please advise me? I got 224 on UWAS-2. What score range should I expect if I go for exam next week? Some say I should subtract 25 points....
My step score was exactly my UWSA1 score but it was 2 months out. Average of all you NBMEs is the best gauge.

I'm but just wondering how much should I subtract from it. Some are saying subtract 25 points from UWAS2.

That's what some people say, yes. The UWSAs grossly overestimate scores. As @Transposony and many others have said though, if you truly want to estimate your score, cough up the cash and take NBMEs 16 and 17. Not only will they help your score, they're the only things that have ever shown any real predictivity of Step 1 scores. Some people even go so far as to say the average of your NBME 16 and 17 scores +/- 5 is what you can expect on the real thing.

Ultimately though, Step 1 is a crapshoot no matter what you do. Good luck!

My highest timed NBME was a 245; I got a 250 and 256 on the UWSAs 1 and 2 and got a 252 on my real thing. In my case, the UWSAs predicted better than the NBMEs. I also know people who got low 250s on their UWSAs and got low 240s on their real thing. So, it can vary, A LOT. Use it as a confidence booster wherever you can, but if it's low, don't be discouraged; the exam can be quite variable at times.

My score was a few points higher than my UWSA2 score. Took UWSA2 about a week prior.

Took exam, exactly three weeks ago, from tomorrow. Results probably tomorrow or wed and Im very nervous.

NBME 16 : 217
NBME 17: 228
Then took NBME 15 about 5 days from my scheduled exam and choked and got a 213. Decided to postpone my exam around 7-8 weeks.

After this, went through FA 2-3 times ( third time was a very quick review). I had not done much FA the first time and relied solely on kaplan.
NBME 13 ( 3 weeks out)- 251
NBME 11 ( 1 week out)- 249

Took exam 7/28 and I really feel like I failed it. On my last two NBME's I got close to 90% correct. On step felt like I probably got in the 60's. I couldn't have failed it right??? RIGHT?? haha. Anyway, above 230 and Id be pretty happy. 240 + Id be thrilled. Wish me luck! Anyone else expecting scores this week?

Took exam, exactly three weeks ago, from tomorrow. Results probably tomorrow or wed and Im very nervous.

Then took NBME 15 about 5 days from my scheduled exam and choked and got a 213. Decided to postpone my exam around 7-8 weeks.

After this, went through FA 2-3 times ( third time was a very quick review). I had not done much FA the first time and relied solely on kaplan.

Took exam 7/28 and I really feel like I failed it. On my last two NBME's I got close to 90% correct. On step felt like I probably got in the 60's. I couldn't have failed it right??? RIGHT?? haha. Anyway, above 230 and Id be pretty happy. 240 + Id be thrilled. Wish me luck! Anyone else expecting scores this week?
My prediction: 235-242.... GL

The curve for step1 is nowhere as steep as the nbmes...you will be fine. ...

yes the waiting game begins. I also took my test on the 27th. This Wednesday will make the fourth since the test day. Good luck!!

Hi everyone. Soon to be IMG here. First off, I'd like to thank each and every one of you for being an awesome group of people.
I had been a lurker for a while, but this is my first time posting on this forum.

I had just recieved my step 1 score last week and I got a 255.
Needless to say, I was ecstatic at the time.
But then I started wondering how the 2015 scores are comparable to other years' results.
So I came online and discovered two interesting facts.
1. The step 1 mean increase to 230.
2. There are much more 260+ monsters than one might expect!

Based on these facts, I was bamboozled as to how my score would look in the eyes of the interviewers, i.e. employers.
Would they take these facts into account and rate each year's test results differently vs. other year's?

I do realize that matching isn't solely based on scores.
However, just by looking at the score only, is it good enough to get me into surgery residency?

I am not posting this to get an ego boost, but because I sincerely want to know how this whole thing works.

Sorry for the long post and thanks all.

P.s. I just want to be clear that I have absolutely no intention of undermining the efforts and hardworks of 260+ scorers, nor am I implying that their high scores are artifacts of the test scoring system/test format alteration.

Hello guys,
This is my first post ever on such a great forum. I heard a lot about SDN before but didn't have a chance to sign up. I got my USMLE Step 1 score report about 2 hours ago and I scored 258. So happy about my score but also felt a little pain & bitter since I needed only 2 more points to be +260 especially that I made five extremely silly mistakes in topics that I aced & mastered a lot during my preparation and possibly if I didn't make those mistakes I at least could have got 5 additional points if not more ;) . Anyway, I thank god a lot for such a great score in such exam and wish you all the best :happy:. Ready for Step 2 CK soon and from now will be an active member in Step 2 CK forums :)

Reactions: 2 users