Official 2014 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatever you are, be a good one
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early? Pff nah it's not.
It's our time to shine bright like a diamond!
It's our time to make step 1 our Goliath.

. . . and may the odds be ever in your favor.
WE GOT THIS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone ,
I am in a pickle here. I took CS n CK n have not taken step 1 yet! Can anyone who took the exam on saturday tell me whether they got their result by third wednesday?
I tried scheduling my exam sooner but there is no date avalaible until 10/18 ( sat), i really need the score latest by 11/5( wed).... I know they say if u take the exam between wed to fri it comes on the third wednesday n if u take on monday/tuesdayt comes on the fourth wednesday... There is no accurate data/ post about exam takers on saturdays...
Please someone who has taken either step 1 or CK on a Saturday please give me accurate info.. Im going crazy here.. Thanks a lot

What's the current (2013-2014) consensus on the best predictors of your score? NBMEs vs UW overall aggregate vs UW last 10 blocks aggregate vs UWSA1/2? My NBMEs and UW %s don't seem to add up, and there's an evil voice in my head that tells me to re-schedule my test? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Test Prep Materials
- Nearly only FA
- Some of: Goljan, DIT & Pathoma
- Kaplan Pharmacology flashcards
- Kaplan Lecture Notes (particularly micro & behavioural sciences)
- QBanks: Kaplan twice, UWorld once (67% first time thru using timed, random blocks)

NBME Form 12: wrote it 3w before test date: 500 = 228 prediction
*actual NBME test is easier than the real thing - I found the questions on the real test correlated most closely with UWorld.

Actual: 240

best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone ,
I am in a pickle here. I took CS n CK n have not taken step 1 yet! Can anyone who took the exam on saturday tell me whether they got their result by third wednesday?
I tried scheduling my exam sooner but there is no date avalaible until 10/18 ( sat), i really need the score latest by 11/5( wed).... I know they say if u take the exam between wed to fri it comes on the third wednesday n if u take on monday/tuesdayt comes on the fourth wednesday... There is no accurate data/ post about exam takers on saturdays...
Please someone who has taken either step 1 or CK on a Saturday please give me accurate info.. Im going crazy here.. Thanks a lot

looks like you'll get it on the 4th Wednesday
http://www.usmle-forums.com/general...smle-exam-results-third-fourth-wednesday.html

Thanks a lot! But i had already seen that post earlier, but its more of a general post ..i was kinda seeking first hand info frm someone who took it on a saturday .. But thanks a lot fr takin the time to respond :)
haha sorry I just clued in to the fact I wrote on a Saturday! I wrote July 19th, got my mark back on August 13th @ about 9:45am EST.

haha sorry I just clued in to the fact I wrote on a Saturday! I wrote July 19th, got my mark back on August 13th @ about 9:45am EST.
Thanks a lot fr the reply.. But this is not good news for me :( really needed the score by november 5 th! Im not surprised though i am almost always out of luck!

What's the current (2013-2014) consensus on the best predictors of your score? NBMEs vs UW overall aggregate vs UW last 10 blocks aggregate vs UWSA1/2? My NBMEs and UW %s don't seem to add up, and there's an evil voice in my head that tells me to re-schedule my test? Any insight would be much appreciated.
For me, from most to least predictive:
1. NBMEs were most predictive (3 NBMEs in last week got my score +/- 1 point)
2. UWSA 1 (+/- 4 points); didn't take UWSA 2, which I hear also overpredicts and perhaps moreso than UWSA 1
3. UWorld % had the weakest predictive value (done on timed, random)

Bottom line: NBMEs are the most predictive. 3 NBMEs a few days before test day has the most predictive value, with NBME 15 and 16 being the most similar to the current exam.

Thank you, wish you get even a better score than mine.
Actually, I was not thinking about my score at all, but that question always puzzled me. So I thought "why not asking?"
I have noticed that the mean is increasing, but the standard deviation is decreasing overtime.
On the other hand I found that in two reports from 2013 one with mean of 227 and SD of 22 the other with 224 and SD of 22, respectively.:unsure:
But from my reports and other reports on this forum "if I have not missed any" all had the same mean and SD (228, 21)

After 50 years " Who cares?" .... I am already an old IMG, So, if I complete the steps and residency "if I am lucky enough to get one in the first place", I'll be very thankful if I make it for another 20 years....:dead:

Thank you and Good Luck

What do you recommend for Gross Anatomy apart from Kaplan Anatomy and Q bank qs......HY or BRS Gross Anatomy and also for Behavior Science...(BRS vs HY)...Thank you

If we wrote on Thursday Sept 11th, will scores be out this Wednesday the 1st, or the following Wednesday?

What do you recommend for Gross Anatomy apart from Kaplan Anatomy and Q bank qs......HY or BRS Gross Anatomy and also for Behavior Science...(BRS vs HY)...Thank you

Well, this is a question with no clear single answer, I'll try to explain few facts and few options and you may pick up what fits you the best depending on your own circumstances:

FACTS:
Studying Gross anatomy is a delicate balance because you don't want to spend to much time and effort on something that is not highly tested while affecting your performance on the other disciplines of higher importance. on the other hand you want to score as high as you can, thus you want to lose less and less questions for wrong answers as possible during the real test.
Gross anatomy is not so heavily tested and pure anatomy questions were not so many during the vast majority of the experiences I have seen including my own test.
Gross anatomy is really bulky and to master it you may have to study a 600+ pages text book.
In my real test the pure Gross anatomy questions were new to me and I have never encountered such question during my whole preparation period, more over, I am an old graduate, I have studied Gross Anatomy almost 10 years ago, So I think if someone has just recently done this subject at college so he/ she would definitely perform much better than I did.
From the above BULKY and NOT heavily tested ====> Spending more time and effort on preparing for the gross anatomy questions does not necessarily mean a much higher performance in this discipline in the real test, and more over a much higher performance at Gross anatomy does not necessarily means a much higher score. ( While The opposite is true for subjects like Pathology, physiology. Pharmacology .. the more effort the higher performance and the higher score, is just in almost a linear correlation)

OPTIONS
1.Stick to the most common and the general knowledge provided by the most commonly used preparation materials like Kaplan lecture notes, UWorld. if you master those you will end up with at least a decent performance. And this way you can make use of the extra time to master other subjects that you can make sure that you will perform better and score higher by putting more effort on them.
2. Push it a bit further and study a good review book that contain extra details that you don't find in the most commonly used study materials mentioned in the first options... I think this is the most balanced way to do it, having extra knowledge without wasting too much time of low yield information.
3.Push it hard and go a head to study a bulky text book.. Generally I don't recommend doing that, Generally I don't recommend doing any bulky text during the review preparation period.

ALL IN ALL
Do Kaplan and UWorld and if you have the ability and the time to push it a bit further try to add on one of the recommended review books like HY Gross anatomy, or another resource that covers the material in a concise, USMLE questions targeted way.
Try to concentrate on CTs and MRIs for the different parts of the body Head and Neck, Abdomen and pelvis, and lower limbs those are very high yield to do, train to know the different structures directly from the radiology image.
Always keep it balanced, so that you reach the highest score possible not just to perform high in one of the discipline, remember after all we are all studying for the score. meaning any information that is not USMLE important is worthless during the review period.

Sorry for not having a direct answer for you question, But hopefully this reply can help.

I can't say much about behavioral science but I found that Kaplan lecture notes + the amazing Dr. Dautry's videos are great for the concepts and UWorld questions will do the rest.. all you have to add is Dr. Fischer's book for Master the Board for Ethics.. The other books you mentioned may be even better but I can't tell because I have no idea about them.

GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just took Step 1 on September 24th I felt horrible afterwards :bang:, oh well I am hoping for the best

Don't worry, you will do great
Simply No One walked out of the test feeling good... almost everyone would feel as if he/she will fail the test, keep the faith in your retest preparation and assessments..
just relax, try to suppress it for the next few days, and enjoy it you are done with this nightmare

GOOD LUCK

Studying anatomy is a waste of time for Step 1. I owned HY Anatomy, USMLE Road Map and Kaplan anatomy lecture notes. All were a waste of time except for the neuro-only images in the latter. But yet again, that's neuroanatomy, which is less broad.

Everyone fears that occasional low-yield question, but there's nothing you can do about that. Anatomy was my worst subject going in and I did well in it because the anatomy tested is pretty much just clinically oriented (e.g., midshaft fracture; which nerve is damaged?), and you get all of that through QBank questions alone and FA. If you do get an obscure anatomy question, there will usually be some sort of "catch" that actually makes it easy. For example, I got asked which muscle was not strengthened by a particular exercise (very odd, wtf-type question at first), but the correct answer was the only one that was sympathetically innervated, whereas the others were somatic, so of course it couldn't be strengthened by exercise.

Studying anatomy is a waste of time for Step 1. I owned HY Anatomy, USMLE Road Map and Kaplan anatomy lecture notes. All were a waste of time except for the neuro-only images in the latter. But yet again, that's neuroanatomy, which is less broad.

Everyone fears that occasional low-yield question, but there's nothing you can do about that. Anatomy was my worst subject going in and I did well in it because the anatomy tested is pretty much just clinically oriented (e.g., midshaft fracture; which nerve is damaged?), and you get all of that through QBank questions alone and FA. If you do get an obscure anatomy question, there will usually be some sort of "catch" that actually makes it easy. For example, I got asked which muscle was not strengthened by a particular exercise (very odd, wtf-type question at first), but the correct answer was the only one that was sympathetically innervated, whereas the others were somatic, so of course it couldn't be strengthened by exercise.

Mr . Phloston

1- do you have Schedule for studying step1 . i have books and time but i dont know how can i start.
2- when you studied for step1 how many pages could you finish per day ??

Well, this is a question with no clear single answer, I'll try to explain few facts and few options and you may pick up what fits you the best depending on your own circumstances:

FACTS:
Studying Gross anatomy is a delicate balance because you don't want to spend to much time and effort on something that is not highly tested while affecting your performance on the other disciplines of higher importance. on the other hand you want to score as high as you can, thus you want to lose less and less questions for wrong answers as possible during the real test.
Gross anatomy is not so heavily tested and pure anatomy questions were not so many during the vast majority of the experiences I have seen including my own test.
Gross anatomy is really bulky and to master it you may have to study a 600+ pages text book.
In my real test the pure Gross anatomy questions were new to me and I have never encountered such question during my whole preparation period, more over, I am an old graduate, I have studied Gross Anatomy almost 10 years ago, So I think if someone has just recently done this subject at college so he/ she would definitely perform much better than I did.
From the above BULKY and NOT heavily tested ====> Spending more time and effort on preparing for the gross anatomy questions does not necessarily mean a much higher performance in this discipline in the real test, and more over a much higher performance at Gross anatomy does not necessarily means a much higher score.

OPTIONS
1.Stick to the most common and the general knowledge provided by the most commonly used preparation materials like Kaplan lecture notes, UWorld. if you master those you will end up with at least a decent performance. And this way you can make use of the extra time to master other subjects that you can make sure that you will perform better and score higher by putting more effort on them.
2. Push it a bit further and study a good review book that contain extra details that you don't find in the most commonly used study materials mentioned in the first options... I think this is the most balanced way to do it, having extra knowledge without wasting too much time of low yield information.
3.Push it hard and go a head to study a bulky text book.. Generally I don't recommend doing that, Generally I don't recommend doing any bulky text during the review preparation period. ( While The opposite is true for subjects like Pathology, physiology. Pharmacology .. the more effort the higher performance and the higher score, is just in almost a linear correlation)

ALL IN ALL
Do Kaplan and UWorld and if you have the ability and the time to push it a bit further try to add on one of the recommended review books like HY Gross anatomy, or another resource that covers the material in a concise, USMLE questions targeted way.
Try to concentrate on CTs and MRIs for the different parts of the body Head and Neck, Abdomen and pelvis, and lower limbs those are very high yield to do, train to know the different structures directly from the radiology image.
Always keep it balanced, so that you reach the highest score possible not just to perform high in one of the discipline, remember after all we are all studying for the score. meaning any information that is not USMLE important is worthless during the review period.

Sorry for not having a direct answer for you question, But hopefully this reply can help.

I can't say much about behavioral science but I found that Kaplan lecture notes + the amazing Dr. Dautry's videos are great for the concepts and UWorld questions will do the rest.. all you have to add is Dr. Fischer's book for Master the Board for Ethics.. The other books you mentioned may be even better but I can't tell because I have no idea about them.

GOOD LUCK

Fantastic guidance for anatomy usmle preparation......you are correct and i would go with option-2....again thx a lot

Took my test on Sept 25th. Was harder than any UWorld, NBME test I'd ever taken. So many experimental questions, answer choices that you'd never heard of. I studied FA, UWorld, Lange Biochem flash cards and knew the stuff pretty well. But it completely did not prepare me for many of the questions, many of the questions were just not covered. I guess Step 1 prep stuff needs an update, to cover stuff like Orlistat (asked few times), when to consult adult protective services (the behavorial questions weren't straightforward) etc. There was a bunch of parasite questions too, which isn't really covered in much detail in FA.
Feels absolutely depressing to prepare for 9 months and get asked a bunch of questions that isn't covered by standard preparation material. Marked like almost 1/3 of all questions (unsure or pretty sure I got wrong). By the time I finished 2nd block I wasn't even sure if I was gonna pass I wanted to shoot myself. And my NMBE average is 230s. When you did the NMBEs when you got a question wrong you'd kinda know you didn't study thoroughly enough cause the material is in FA. Same thing with UWorld. The real test felt nothing like that. Holy **** I went in thinking the real test was supposed to be easier than UWorld.

If we wrote on Thursday Sept 11th, will scores be out this Wednesday the 1st, or the following Wednesday?
I think you got your results today...all the best and pls share your preparation experience as you got your score most likely today...thank you

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my experience:

Study preparation: 3 Month dedicated study time. I only studied using FA and Uworld. I made notecards ofevery single drug and its side effects and tried to memorized them cold, since this was a weak area of mine. I was able to memorize everything except Neuro, Endocrine, Reproductive and Psych. I started Uworld in the low 30% and by the end I was getting ~66%. Final cumulative Uworld with all questions done was 56%.

NBME 11 234
1 Week before
NBME 12 179
1 Week before (I think this was a fluke and I might have skipped one whole section)
NBME 16 234
4 days before
NBME 15 228
1 day before

Uworld Cumulative (100% completed): 56%

Real test: 241

mean 228 sd 21

Real Test: It was really hard, harder than NBMEs and very different from Uworld. I felt my test was all about memorization and very few reasoning questions. Questions were longer and gave you a lot of details in the prompt that was not necessary for some of the questions. The majority was out of the FA but they asked a lot of nitty gritty details. You basically have to memorize the whole FA from cover to cover. The rest were WTF questions that there was not way to study for. I normally finished all NBME and Uworld blocks with ~ 20 min to spare and check marked questions, but on the real thing I was rushed for time and I did not have time to check even 1 single question that I had marked. I came out of the test feeling like I had failed it. After the test, I remembered about 70 questions of which I got 49 wrong.

I was really lucky to get that score and I just wanted to share my experience with everyone in the forum since I used this forum immensely during my preparation. I also wanted to thank everyone that has posted in this forum for your help.

Good luck to everyone !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I took the test on September 11th as well, got my score this morning. I set aside 7 weeks to study, but was pretty tired by the end, so I probably ended up studying full-time about 6.5 weeks. During second year, I went through Step 1 along with my classes, and also did 1 pass of pathoma (I annotated into First Aid).

For my dedicated study time, I went through FA 2.5 times, very closely. I also did 1 pass of Uworld (74% correct, timed and random), plus all my incorrects from Uworld. I also did maybe a third of pathoma again. I studied 6 days a week, probably 10-11 hours a day.

I only did the two uworld exams, because I didn't feel like spending more money on NBMEs (risky, I know). If there had been explanations for the NBMEs, I might have done more, but they seem useless to me if I can't actually learn something from them. I got a 258 on UWSA1 (3 weeks before), and a 262 on UWSA2 (1 week before the test). On the real thing, I got a 261.

I think I was pretty lucky--the test must have catered to my strengths. I didn't really know what to think coming out of it. There were a lot of tricky questions, but I didn't think it was horrible. I figured that the curve might not be as generous, but it was fine. Happy to put this behind me!

Edit: forgot an important part of my studying--while I was going through FA/Uworld, I made flashcards on stuff that I thought needed memorization. For instance, I had a card on all the benzos, whether they were short or long-acting, etc. I probably had about 500 cards by the end. I looked them over for 1 hour every day. I thought it was helpful, and I saw a lot of concepts 5-10x just because of the cards, even though I only went through FA 2.5x.

Last edited:
I am going to throw my hat in for December exam.
Last three weeks spent doing DIT the whole day and Urx qs in the evening. 46/day with occasional 92. Getting low 70s.
I have about 20 more lectures to go on DIT and then I will start reading my FA 2014 on my own.
I did Becker and I sincerely believe it helped me in some subjects.(not all!)
I will do U world next month.
Taking my First NBME tomorrow. Not really, the first one is school administered, unmentionable score.
I will post with my score.
My question to the group, should I also do Kaplan Q banks?

Hey you guys....how did you choose your test date? I know this sounds like a banal question but I feel like I just keep delaying.
So I got my permit today and my three month period extends till Dec 31st.
I want a 240+.
I recently finished Uworld with a 55%, usmlerx with a 72%...and I honestly feel like maybe I'm at a real score of 215-220ish.

I don't know if now is the time to take an NBME...or should I save the NBMEs for later?
I had taken an NBME at the beginning of my prep...and I think that was a waste of time because I wasn't prepared.

Now, I plan to do Kaplan Qbank before my second pass of Uworld. So I need about a month more to finish that. I don't know if my score can increase 20+ points in one month! Has anyone heard of such an increase?

I just don't want to pick a date now and then want to change it later. What if all the dates are gone when I want to change it? Or what if I have to pay a huge fee to change the date?

Any suggestions?

Hi
I am an IMG and I will take the exam in exactly 2 weeks.
I have taken:
NBME 7=215 (Aug 4)
NBME 13=230 (Aug 16)
NBME 12=241 (Aug 23)
NBME 11=245 (Sep 6)
UWSA1=245 (Sep 21)
UW 1st pass (timed, random)=66%
UW 2nd pass (timed, random)= 91%

I have studied Kaplan LNs and Videos (over a year ago with horrible gaps in between. do not remember anything!), FAx2, Goljan Audios x2, Pathoma videos x1.5, and SketchyMicro.
I am particularly weak in virology, autonomic system, embryology (bronchial arches,...), cardiac and respiratory physiology and molecular biology. My main problem is that I cannot memorize details and names, (e.g. ssRNA, dsRNA, 16 S RNA, 1st arch derivatives, ...)
For the next 2 weeks, I should go through NMBEs 15, 16, UWSA2, free 138 and one another pass of FA with answering the questions in DIT handout.

I am getting the feeling that my score will be almost 245. I really want to get 250+
What would you recommend? I am thinking on the following options:
1- take USMLE-Rx
2- use picmonic
3- Do not start a new resource and just review the resources that I have previously read

I am really confused and I am losing my time on just thinking. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi
I am an IMG and I will take the exam in exactly 2 weeks.
I have taken:
NBME 7=215 (Aug 4)
NBME 13=230 (Aug 16)
NBME 12=241 (Aug 23)
NBME 11=245 (Sep 6)
UWSA1=245 (Sep 21)
UW 1st pass (timed, random)=66%
UW 2nd pass (timed, random)= 91%

I have studied Kaplan LNs and Videos (over a year ago with horrible gaps in between. do not remember anything!), FAx2, Goljan Audios x2, Pathoma x1.5, and SketchyMicro.
I am particularly weak in virology, autonomic system, embryology (bronchial arches,...), cardiac and respiratory physiology and molecular biology. My main problem is that I cannot memorize details and names, (e.g. ssRNA, dsRNA, 16 S RNA, 1st arch derivatives, ...)
For the next 2 weeks, I should go through NMBEs 15, 16, UWSA1, free 138 and one another pass of FA with answering the questions in DIT handout.

I am getting the feeling that my score will be almost 245. I really want to get 250+
What would you recommend? I am thinking on the following options:
1- take USMLE-Rx
2- use picmonic
3- Do not start a new resource and just review the resources that I have previously read

I am really confused and I am losing my time on just thinking. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

I'm also an IMS and my exam is in 6 weeks,

UWSA 1 is not a good predictor, It has been almost a months since the last NBME, take 15 today.

You're a couple of mistake away from the 250, 245 is 580 and 251 is 610 so I guess 3 or 4 mistakes is what you need in the NBMEs.

Making mistakes in factoids is actually good news for you, if you were failing at thinking it would be hard to improve but factoids, you can get them in those 2 weeks.

My plan for you, and myself as a matter of fact:
Stick to FA + UW + Pathoma (nothing else)
Have a little note book by your side and write down any factoid you think you'll forget and revise them twice during the day as you write them then at the end of the night and the start of the next morning.

All you really need is a little jump and you'll pass the 250.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey you guys....how did you choose your test date? I know this sounds like a banal question but I feel like I just keep delaying.
I want a 240+.
I recently finished Uworld with a 55%, usmlerx with a 72%...and I honestly feel like maybe I'm at a real score of 215-220ish.
I don't know if now is the time to take an NBME...or should I save the NBMEs for later?
I had taken an NBME at the beginning of my prep...and I think that was a waste of time because I wasn't prepared.
Now, I plan to do Kaplan Qbank before my second pass of Uworld. So I need about a month more to finish that. I don't know if my score can increase 20+ points in one month! Has anyone heard of such an increase?
I just don't want to pick a date now and then want to change it later. What if all the dates are gone when I want to change it? Or what if I have to pay a huge fee to change the date?

Take an NBME now and see where you stand. 20 point improvement is doable, people on this thread have done that. Screen name starts with C, did a remarkable improvement in her/his scores.

I'm also an IMS and my exam is in 6 weeks,

UWSA 1 is not a good predictor, It has been almost a months since the last NBME, take 15 today.

You're a couple of mistake away from the 250, 245 is 580 and 251 is 610 so I guess 3 or 4 mistakes is what you need in the NBMEs.

Making mistakes in factoids is actually good news for you, if you were failing at thinking it would be hard to improve but factoids, you can get them in those 2 weeks.

My plan for you, and myself as a matter of fact:
Stick to FA + UW + Pathoma (nothing else)
Have a little note book by your side and write down any factoid you think you'll forget and revise them twice during the day as you write them then at the end of the night and the start of the next morning.

All you really need is a little jump and you'll pass the 250.

Thank you for your kind response.
I didn't notice that I have not had any NBME in a month!
Will take it tomorrow. but I think I would be devastated if I get a lower score! :(
I am sure that you will get a great score.

Thank you for your kind response.
I didn't notice that I have not had any NBME in a month!
Will take it tomorrow. but I think I would be devastated if I get a lower score! :(
I am sure that you will get a great score.

Don't be a pessimist.

You'll be ecstatic that you scored higher :)

Hey everyone!

Need some advice. Im an IMG and hoping for a score of 240+. I'd be over the moon if i get 250+ but it doesn't seem like that's achievable now. Anyway so i did all the kaplan+ videos, pathoma x2, First Aid x4 and finished uworld first pass at 73%.
NBME scores:
NBME 11 took after first read of FA offline. Got around 225
NBME 15 (end of august) 241 online
But then.... NBME 16 ( two days ago) 237 :(( i cant believe it. I messed up so much in it. I found my self short on time in the first block and i panicked and rushed through the last 10-15 questions and got alot of them wrong. The thing is i did well in the hard questions but i messed up big time on the easy questions. I dint revise GIT before taking the nbme and i scored low in that. My problem seems with biochem and MSK. I have tried all i can but biochem doesnt stick. :((
I have my exam in a months time and i really want a 240+ at least. What should i do in this last month?? I have done half of uworld again and ive done kaplan qbank 70% too.

I took my exam on the 29th of Sept. Does that mean I will get my score on October 15? (3 Wednesdays after) I felt pretty bad after the test. So nervous :-(

Hey everyone, wondering if I could get some insight as to what is high yield pharm for the exam. i.e should I focus more on cardio drugs, psych drugs, or autonomic drugs, or antibiotics? or maybe all are high yield. I have been using FA & picmonic for learning pharm, which I think helps with the toxicities since many are overlooked or very briefly mentioned in our pharm course. Thanks.

I want a 240+.

Take an NBME now and see where you stand. 20 point improvement is doable, people on this thread have done that. Screen name starts with C, did a remarkable improvement in her/his scores.

Thank you! That makes me feel better. Hope it's the case with me too.

Hey everyone, wondering if I could get some insight as to what is high yield pharm for the exam. i.e should I focus more on cardio drugs, psych drugs, or autonomic drugs, or antibiotics? or maybe all are high yield. I have been using FA & picmonic for learning pharm, which I think helps with the toxicities since many are overlooked or very briefly mentioned in our pharm course. Thanks.

I have not taken test yet but most people say that every single drug in FA is high yield and pharm questions are straight forward (side Fx/Mech of action).

Uworld is heavy on Diuretics, antivirals, cholesterol lowering and psych pharm. So i guess those are super high yield.

I have not taken test yet but most people say that every single drug in FA is high yield and pharm questions are straight forward (side Fx/Mech of action).

Uworld is heavy on Diuretics, antivirals, cholesterol lowering and psych pharm. So i guess those are super high yield.

Thanks for your response! Has anyone else who has taken the test care to add to this.

Thanks for your response! Has anyone else who has taken the test care to add to this.

Pretty much what Mleechu said. The Pharmacology basic sciences section is gold, particularly with those autonomic drugs. A rough order of high-yieldness would be:

Pharmacology section > Pharm sub-sections of system-based sections >>> Pharm referenced in passing without its own section (e.g. Riluzole for ALS, Denosumab for osteoporosis, eculizumab for PNH)

Pharm is definitely one of those things where the minutiae goes a long way once you've peaked and are in a high scoring range, since you can start using your knowledge to very powerfully eliminate answer choices when you know the drug.

Last edited:
3 days until my exam! I just did NBME16 and got a 254 and did the Free150 at the Prometrics and got a 91%, what suggestions do you guys have for these last few days?

All three of those categories are extremely high yield.

Hey guys. I just did nbme 15 and got 247. I have around 3 weeks in hand.

Any suggestions to improve my score?

Edit : I have done first aid 2x. I did it while doing uworld and once right after it.

Got my score back today. 246!!! YES!!! I am so thrilled to have made my >240 goal.:biglove:

Reported average was 228 with standard deviation of 21. My study schedule that I posted several weeks earlier is quoted below, for those interested.

I'm done with Step 1!!!

As promised, I've included an overview of my study schedule below:
Materials used:
First Aid
Pathoma
Picmonic
Kaplan QBank
UWorld QBank

Timeline: 12 weeks total. 6 weeks of systems-based studying and relevant Kaplan QBank questions, followed by 6 weeks of reviewing FA while doing random, timed blocks of UWorld QBank, UWSAs, and NBME.

Kaplan QBank: completed half, averaging 68%
UWorld QBank: completed all, ~75% first-pass average
UWSA1: 230
UWSA2: 230
NBME 13: 230
NBME 11: 234
NBME 15: 239
NBME 16: 239
Real deal: TBA...

Test day:
I was really nervous going into the test because everyone on SDN kept saying it's profoundly harder than anything you see on UWorld or the NBMEs. However, I found the exam to be very similar to NBME 16 and 15 in terms of the number of straightforward questions. There were also a few WTF questions per block, but that was to be expected. Overall, I'd say difficulty level for my Step 1 exam was slightly harder than NBME and a little easier or equal to UWorld.

Question length ranged from short 1-2 liners to a few super long questions with butt loads of lab values. The latter often seemed filled with distractors. On average I finished each block with 10-15 minutes to spare, which I spent going over marked questions and anything that I wanted to double-check my reasoning on (especially those up-down arrow questions). I felt like a good 90% or more of the test was straight out of FA, and even had a few nearly identical questions that I had seen from either UWorld or NBME. Those were nice to have around.

Breaks seemed rushed to me. 10 minutes is not a lot of time at all...

After the test, I felt okay. I don't feel like I bombed it, but at the same time, I highly doubt I aced it either. However, even just over the past day I've gotten substantially more nervous about my score. A lot of questions are slowly coming back to me, and I know I got some wrong for sure...just not sure how many. I also had a super hard final block and almost started panicking over how many questions I was marking, so who knows what dumb mistakes I made there.

Biochem: pretty biochem heavy for me, most were usually clinically correlated in some way. FA was more than enough.
Anatomy: anatomy is my strong suit, but nothing surprising. MRI cuts, neuroanatomy, the usual. FA + basic understanding from GA in school was enough.
Behavioral science: a TON of these, plus a few on insurance, co-pay, etc. FA...plus a little common sense seemed adequate.
Embryo: I don't recall any embryo questions on mine, weirdly.
Physiology: some arrow questions, some WTF questions.
Path: pretty straightforward.
Pelvic innervation and anatomy showed up as well, thanks to all those to suggested we look into that before walking into the test.

There you have it. Hopefully the exam will have a curve favorable to me.

Got my score back today. 246!!! YES!!! I am so thrilled to have made my >240 goal.:biglove:

Reported average was 228 with standard deviation of 21. My study schedule that I posted several weeks earlier is quoted below, for those interested.
Congrats !!!!! Can you tell how your daily schedule was for the last 4 weeks?? Mine is in 4 weeks just don't know how to proceed.:( Btw did nbme 12 last week got 228 on it plan to give 15,16 next week...

Congrats !!!!! Can you tell how your daily schedule was for the last 4 weeks?? Mine is in 4 weeks just don't know how to proceed.:( Btw did nbme 12 last week got 228 on it plan to give 15,16 next week...

For the 4 weeks leading up to my test day, I was methodically going through each section of FA to make sure I was refreshing details I had forgotten or couldn't remember and doing UWorld QBank questions.
A typical day:
1 block of 46 questions, random, timed from UWorld. Review and annotate (if needed).
Review FA, making flashcards/charts/etc. if needed.
1 block of 46 questions, random, timed from UWorld. Review and annotate (if needed).
More FA review all the way until bedtime.
Basically, with 4 weeks left you keep truckin'.

For the final week leading up to test day: Took NBME 16, reviewed it, and then devoted the rest of the week to flashcards I had made over the course of my prep. I figured with 1 week left, I needed to really hammer in the brute force memorization aspects of FA/Step 1.

Day before test day was mild flashcard review, packing and making snacks for test day breaks, and hit the gym to tire myself out so I could de-stress (as much as one could the day before Step 1) and fall asleep that night.

congrats lxc!!!! When did you take the test? I took mine on the 29th. Really anxious to find out when scores are going to be released

congrats lxc!!!! When did you take the test? I took mine on the 29th. Really anxious to find out when scores are going to be released

I took it on the 17th, so I got my score in exactly 3 weeks. So maybe you'll find out on the 22nd?

Hi everyone

I am a Canadian img graduated 2 yrs ago from Ireland and finished one year of internship in Ireland. I have done step 2 right after because I was fresh with clinical stuff and scored 240+. I want to start my prep for step 1 and I am a bit confused about the resources. I have first aid 2014 with me, I am planning on using Uworld. I have kaplan videos and lecture notes. My plan was to go thru fa 2 or 3 times plus uworld then do nbmes and see how am doing. Do u think I shud read kaplan? Or watch the videos? Do I need a pathology book too? Any suggestions would help. Thank you in advance.