Official 2014 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatever you are, be a good one
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early? Pff nah it's not.
It's our time to shine bright like a diamond!
It's our time to make step 1 our Goliath.

. . . and may the odds be ever in your favor.
WE GOT THIS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you have to give an NBME NOW...
I you have done uworld and FA each at least 1 once you are good to assess yourself now and to have an idea about where exactly you are standing now
Best NBMEs (despit the fact that they all have almost similar predictive values) i would suggect 15 and 16 becuse they resemble the pattern of the question in the real test more than other NBMEs.
Don't hesitate unless money is an issue I would suggest Doing one NBME now and the other few days before the big show day.. Try to do them online again if money is an issue try one online and the oter offline (despite the fact that doing it online is much better and i don't recommend offline as those are time consuming , inaccurate and illigal)
How much time left do you have 1. For you test 2 . For uworld subscription

I was thinking of doing nbme 15 and 16 close to my test. I was trying to avoid doing an nbme because the anxiety of not scoring good slows me down. My test is 6 weeks from now and uworld subscription expired few days back. I did around 600 marked questions again.

I'll be taking Step 1 tomorrow. :scared: Will post my experience at some point over the next few days.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I kill it tomorrow, especially after seeing those Step 1 averages in the 2014 NRMP Charting the Outcomes!

Don't panic ... You will do great on yoour test ... Most importantly now relax ... Relax and relax and have a good really good night sleep so you can give your all tommorrow
Wish you good luck

I was thinking of doing nbme 15 and 16 close to my test. I was trying to avoid doing an nbme because the anxiety of not scoring good slows me down. My test is 6 weeks from now and uworld subscription expired few days back. I did around 600 marked questions again.

6 weeks is a descent amout of time to boost you score ...I would suggest doing another question bank
More along side with first aid will help for sure.. I did Kaplan and I liked it, others recommend Usmle Rx.. I found some test questions resembling the obscure question stems that I saw on the test day. But when you do Kaplan avoid the overdetailing that you will encounter in some questions.. By the way Kaplan Qbanks explanations are really short as if compared to Uworld and should take half as much time to go through each block.
Try to do it wisely and do not overwhelm yourself now with too much thigs to do make a plan to use 5 weeks doing a Question bank that you choose and do first aid one moretime along side with the questions...
Even if you do 1 NBME now and get a below expectations score you still have time and have the advantage of knowing your situation
Try to put MTB ethics by Conrad Fischer in your plans it will not take more than part of a day to a full day to do... Do it closer to you test day, and I found it helpful.
Personally from your post I believe that you are at~ 245 but no one can tell for sure without NBME

Keep confident and do whatever you find apropreiate for your own situation .

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
6 weeks is a descent amout of time to boost you score ...I would suggest doing another question bank
More along side with first aid will help for sure.. I did Kaplan and I liked it, others recommend Usmle Rx.. I found some test questions resembling the obscure question stems that I saw on the test day. But when you do Kaplan avoid the overdetailing that you will encounter in some questions.. By the way Kaplan Qbanks explanations are really short as if compared to Uworld and should take half as much time to go through each block.
Try to do it wisely and do not overwhelm yourself now with too much thigs to do make a plan to use 5 weeks doing a Question bank that you choose and do first aid one moretime along side with the questions...
Even if you do 1 NBME now and get a below expectations score you still have time and have the advantage of knowing your situation
Try to put MTB ethics by Conrad Fischer in your plans it will not take more than part of a day to a full day to do... Do it closer to you test day, and I found it helpful.
Personally from your post I believe that you are at~ 245 but no one can tell for sure without NBME

Keep confident and do whatever you find apropreiate for your own situation .

Good luck

Thank you so much for your valuable response. I will definitely try doing another Qbank.

Good luck for tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 user
What time should we expect our score report? I've heard 9am, 11am, 12pm! I'd rather not sit around for three hours biting my fingernails like a schoolboy waiting for a text message from a girl! Any insight would be great

Last edited:
What time should we expect our score report? I've heard 9am, 11am, 12pm! I'd rather not sit around for three hours biting my fingers like a schoolboy waiting for a text message from a girl! Any insight would be great

They say 9 am eastern time, so it depends on where you live... That what I have found, I am not sure

Anyone else can help!

First you are doing great, and you have already done everything... I believe you goals should be to maintain you current achievements and to try to add on as much as you can..
Any specific system or subject / discipline or pattern of questions (diagram questions, chart questions, theoretical questions, reasoning questions ) in which you are performing constantly under your avarage.. Set it as your point of weakness and try to work on that.
Let us know how will you do on your NBME 15.
Wish you the best of luck

Thanks! I ended up getting 243 again so I think I will stick with my test date in 3 weeks

Congrats to everyone who got their results. I am up in a few weeks time. Anyone have any input on how I boost my score 10-15 points?

My practice test results
UWSA1 -190 (May)
UWSA2-209 (June)
NBME12-215(July)
NBME 15-207(August)
NBME 13-215 (September)

I have done 95% of UWorld on untimed, unused random mode (66% avg) Lately have been getting better at the questions on UWorld ( last few blocks have been 70 percent plus). I went thru all the kaplan videos and I am halfway through DIT. I am taking notes/reading FA as I go along. I also have listened to the goljan audio. I am an IMG (US Citizen/Native English speaker) and I am going for psych.

Would pathoma or a usmlerx help?

Yea I feel ya... Kinda was on edge like hmm maybe it comes next week.. Crap it's prob showing up tom.?.!? Just pray for best..

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who got their results. I am up in a few weeks time. Anyone have any input on how I boost my score 10-15 points?

My practice test results
UWSA1 -190 (May)
UWSA2-209 (June)
NBME12-215(July)
NBME 15-207(August)
NBME 13-215 (September)

I have done 95% of UWorld on untimed, unused random mode (66% avg) Lately have been getting better at the questions on UWorld ( last few blocks have been 70 percent plus). I went thru all the kaplan videos and I am halfway through DIT. I am taking notes/reading FA as I go along. I also have listened to the goljan audio. I am an IMG (US Citizen/Native English speaker) and I am going for psych.

Would pathoma or a usmlerx help?

I have no Idea regarding the Usmle Rx BUT PATHOMA is wonderful... it is to the point and concise
what Great about pathoma
1. it has Almost All the pathology that you need to know for the step 1
2. it has video lectures along side with the text ,, and Dr. Sattar is a great teacher. in the videos you get full explanations and charts step by step in an easy way to understand and retain.
3. it is the smaller pathology book and the best one .... Goljan is Also a great book but I would not say that this is a pathology book, lots of information integrated together .. personally I am a slow reader and I get easily overwhelmed so Pathoma fitted me better, and if you follow recent experience you can notice that pathoma has replaced Goljan so much.

All in All I would highly recommend doing Pathoma, from my personal experience I think everybody taking the step should do Pathoma.

best of Luck

Thanks! I ended up getting 243 again so I think I will stick with my test date in 3 weeks

OK
it is a great score, but you want the 250+
what are the things that you keep doing bad on??? actually at 243 I won't think that you are doing bad at anything but is there anything specific that you are doing below your average?
so, do you think that there is something that you can work on?
if you like to talk about it I will be more than glad if I can help
hopefully if if I get my results and I AM NOT DEPRESSED "IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN" .. I might post something helpful

Wish you all the luck and a 250+++

I took it on the 26th of August and it was really hard >>>
I found it full of weird questions??
how about you?

yeah.....i was shocked for most part....then got confused even on some less difficult ones...most q's were different than anything i'd seen

yeah.....i was shocked for most part....then got confused even on some less difficult ones...most q's were different than anything i'd seen
Thanks. But the exam was 10000 times harder than uw and nbme. My 99% questions were weird and had no clue. I knew since my 2nd block that I am going to fail.

So this is not just me...
We all agree on that,, So I am not alone on this boat
But I found that the questions did not reflect how much I knew or prepared for the test...

Yes. I was shocked and I think that I got stunned for a while, definitely that might have lost me some easy catch questions

But I found that the questions did not reflect how much I knew or prepared for the test...

Yes. I was shocked and I think that I got stunned for a while, definitely that might have lost me some easy catch questions

yup....it seemed very vague and stuff that couldn't have been mastered even if preparation was extended because obscurity dominated over
knowledge base

on aug. 28th

if you took it on the 28th i BELIEVE you get it next week not this week...I took mine the 31st and so we're the same grading week..i think we're next week.

If i'm today then i might as well shoot myself now...my bp just skyrocketed :(

if you took it on the 28th i BELIEVE you get it next week not this week...I took mine the 31st and so we're the same grading week..i think we're next week.

If i'm today then i might as well shoot myself now...my bp just skyrocketed :(

well did your scheduling permit disappear? If so then you will be getting it today, if not then probably next week

I felt like I bombed it. I was literally guessing on so many questions. It was absolutely ridiculous. I've been feeling like absolute crap since the 31st now.

I'm not one of those that thinks I failed and ends up with a 250 lol I'm an average student and I worked hard on this but I literally wanted to cry when I left the test facility...

Nothing yet...
I am an IMG and I am looking at the ECFMG OASIS
I have not received an email and nothing is showing on my OASIS???? Am I doing the right thing
I took it on the 26th of August so today is supposed to by the day 22????

Help!!! anybody

nothing yet.... and its suppose to be the 3rd Wed. from exam date so I believe the 28th= should be this week

Nothing yet...
I have not received an email and nothing is showing on my OASIS???? Am I doing the right thing

Help!!! anybody

on oasis it doesn't say that it is recent as of sept 17.....still showing sept 16... should be available from 9-12...just play waiting game

Nothing yet...

Help!!! anybody
It's the 3rd wednesday I think after you take your exam so you should be getting yours today. Anyone that took the exam on Aug 28 and onwards should be getting it NEXT week I think...if the scores being released are consistent with the timings they've been released this summer.

on oasis it doesn't say that it is recent as of sept 17.....still showing sept 16... should be available from 9-12...just play waiting game

Exactly, until the page says "current as of Sept 17th" then nothing has been updated. Just sit back, relax and enjoy this torture!

Exactly, until the page says "current as of Sept 17th" then nothing has been updated. Just sit back, relax and enjoy this torture!

currently it says 16 Sept
So I have to keep waiting and refreshing the page!!!:boom:
Do you think that I should get it today?

currently it says 16 Sept
So I have to keep waiting and refreshing the page!!!:boom:
Do you think that I should get it today?

Yes, If you can no longer access your scheduling permit then from my knowledge you should be getting it today. If anyone has heard otherwise, please chime-in

Yes, If you can no longer access your scheduling permit then from my knowledge you should be getting it today. If anyone has heard otherwise, please chime-in

Yes you will get it today... but now since I took it on 28th could be different....my permit has been gone though.

But my Permit disappeared long time ago?
I hope that we all receive it soon just to end the torture and start the sufferer

By the way I thinkkkk it's the wednesday that comes after 3 weeks of taking your exam. For ex: I took mine on a sunday the 31st, therefore today is my 3rd wednesday, but I think 3 weeks have to go by and then it's that wednesday.