Official 2014 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatever you are, be a good one
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early? Pff nah it's not.
It's our time to shine bright like a diamond!
It's our time to make step 1 our Goliath.

. . . and may the odds be ever in your favor.
WE GOT THIS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
You are correct! Or rather, you WOULD be correct if we weren't speaking about this specific dialect of English. The dialect North America uses simply does not use the word "wrote" when speaking about an examination unless you are the one who formulated the exam questions.

On another important note, no one in the United States speaks English "incorrectly." They simply speak a different dialect. If you want to seem like a stranger to North America or a person with grandiose delusions, then saying "I wrote step 1" is a great idea. On the other hand, if you want to be seen as someone who is savvy to what it means to try to understand a culture outside his own, which is something I absolutely look for in a physician, try doing things my way. The patients you will be caring for when you train here, namely, those who speak the English of North America, will be able to understand you better and you'll thus be better able to treat your patients. You'll be a better doctor. And isn't that what you want? To be a good doctor?

I'm quite well-travelled, and I don't argue about word usage other English-speaking countries use that differs from mine, particularly when I'm a visitor; I celebrate it. Why can't you do the same?
Mostly agree except that people in US are from almost every culture/country and speak English differently and incorrectly which is understandable as English is not their first language.

The dialect North America uses simply does not use the word "wrote" when speaking about an examination unless you are the one who formulated the exam questions.

Based on my experience born and raised in the US and then going to the Caribbean where I met A LOT of Canadians, they prefer to say "wrote" an exam and receiving "marks". Whereas myself and the other US students would say "take" the exam and receive the "grades". I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree that "taking" is much more grammatically correct than "writing" it, as the test-makers are the ones who are technically writing it.

It wasn't until I started reading USMLE Forums and SDN that I came across "giving" or gave an exam. That makes even less sense that writing an exam.

Based on my experience born and raised in the US and then going to the Caribbean where I met A LOT of Canadians, they prefer to say "wrote" an exam and receiving "marks". Whereas myself and the other US students would say "take" the exam and receive the "grades". I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree that "taking" is much more grammatically correct than "writing" it, as the test-makers are the ones who are technically writing it.

It wasn't until I started reading USMLE Forums and SDN that I came across "giving" or gave an exam. That makes even less sense that writing an exam.

Well, then I will modify my statement: Most people in the UNITED STATES, who learned English as natives, say that they took an exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't really matter when you understand what the person says.

When you're applying to a residency in the United States, learning to speak the English of the United States is a fantastic idea. Residency directors can be xenophobic, and your best bet is to try to blend as much as you can if you want that spot.

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't really matter when you understand what the person says.

~~~~~~~~~

Actually, the subtleties of communication are CRITICAL...this is the greatest limitation of M.D's with English as a second language studying and practicing medicine here...xenophobia is a PC term that misses this point

If guys wanna argue about the effects of ESL on residency matching or quality of care can you do it in a thread that isn't devoted to Step 1 experiences and feedback? Getting tired of opening this thread expecting new posts about Step 1 and reading more of this ****.

If guys wanna argue about the effects of ESL on residency matching or quality of care can you do it in a thread that isn't devoted to Step 1 experiences and feedback? Getting tired of opening this thread expecting new posts about Step 1 and reading more of this ****.
There has been way too much **** in these threads lately not related to the exam

So yes I PASSED USMLE Step 1 on my first attempt, I am very thankful of all the people that posted/reply on my questions in SDN. I know My score is not SDN type but I am just going to put my experience out there.

Resources:
1. uWorld: 2x (got 45% percent 1st pass, 75% 2nd pass)
2. Kaplan Qbank (got 60% 1st pass, founded very helpful for physiology, micro, immunology and for those random experimental questions)
3. FA: 3x (Heavily annotated with uWorld, Kaplan bank, Pathoma, Heme/Onc Goljian Audio)
4. BRS Physiology
5. BRS Series FC for Micro and Pharm (this where my highest performance so yes they helped a lot)
6. Teachmeanatomy and Mayoclinic websitres for Urinary Incontinence stuff (that came up like 4 questions)

Assesments:
1. NBME 7 (168) - 4 mo out
2. NBME 11 (180) - 3mo out
3. uWA 1 (206) - 2 mo out
4. NBME 13 (209) - 1 mo out
5. NBME 12 (215) - 3 wks out
6. NBME 15 (207) - 2 wks out (Freaked out a bit)
7. NBME 16 (215) - 1 wk out
8. uW2 2 (230) - 2 days out

REAL DEAL: 218

*I found the real deal harder than ANY assessment or bank, I came out of the test thinking I literally had fail, I was getting ready to start reading FA again. Looking back what helped during the test was the time management between blocks and staying focus no matter how difficult the previous block was. I literally took break in between every block except for 4-5 which I did in a row (probably got exited). Marked way more than expected. Which I had read more in dept about Ethics and Behavioral.Overall I feel good with my grade (I want PM&R which thankful I not need an SDN ridiculous score). Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So yes I PASSED USMLE Step 1 on my first attempt, I am very thankful of all the people that posted/reply on my questions in SDN. I know My score is not SDN type but I am just going to put my experience out there.

Resources:
1. uWorld: 2x (got 45% percent 1st pass, 75% 2nd pass)
2. Kaplan Qbank (got 60% 1st pass, founded very helpful for physiology, micro, immunology and for those random experimental questions)
3. FA: 3x (Heavily annotated with uWorld, Kaplan bank, Pathoma, Heme/Onc Goljian Audio)
4. BRS Physiology
5. BRS Series FC for Micro and Pharm (this where my highest performance so yes they helped a lot)
6. Teachmeanatomy and Mayoclinic websitres for Urinary Incontinence stuff (that came up like 4 questions)

Assesments:
1. NBME 7 (168) - 4 mo out
2. NBME 11 (180) - 3mo out
3. uWA 1 (206) - 2 mo out
4. NBME 13 (209) - 1 mo out
5. NBME 12 (215) - 3 wks out
6. NBME 15 (207) - 2 wks out (Freaked out a bit)
7. NBME 15 (215) - 1 wk out
8. uW2 2 (230) - 2 days out

REAL DEAL: 218

*I found the real deal harder than ANY assessment or bank, I came out of the test thinking I literally had fail, I was getting ready to start reading FA again. Looking back what helped during the test was the time management between blocks and staying focus no matter how difficult the previous block was. I literally took break in between every block except for 4-5 which I did in a row (probably got exited). Marked way more than expected. Which I had read more in dept about Ethics and Behavioral.Overall I feel good with my grade (I want PM&R which thankful I not need an SDN ridiculous score). Hope it helps.
Congratulations and thanks for posting your experience. You are right on the money about staying focused no matter what.
What matters most is that you achieved your goal.
Reminds me of my experience. In first two blocks, I ended up marking about 15 questions and could not go back to them as time ran out. I changed my strategy for the rest of the blocks and did not mark any questions.

Congratulations and thanks for posting your experience. You are right on the money about staying focused no matter what.
What matters most is that you achieved your goal.
Reminds me of my experience. In first two blocks, I ended up marking about 15 questions and could not go back to them as time ran out. I changed my strategy for the rest of the blocks and did not mark any questions.

So, should we practice just doing questions without marking them to review?

No, marking is important for reviewing the questions while practicing.
What I was getting at is that be flexible during the test.

in the real deal you will probably mark more, than your practice sessions. So don't freak out and keep going.
Another thing it may happen is that you may not have time to review marked ones, that's also a common phenomenon in the test.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, I am done with Step 1 :banana:

I found it overall more difficult. Definitely more wtf questions, experiments, and some that look more opinion than having an actual, correct answer. I had the pelvic anatomy, incontinence, couple murmurs, couple EKGs, several biostats and a few hard trial questions, and some hard images. Mostly, I had 20-30 questions dealing with a pregnant woman. And I HATE OB! I just had to laugh when another one after another one showed up.

I truly have no clue how I did. I think I passed. All I can say for sure. I knew some stuff cold, others stuff I felt I had a decent idea but made me think/could have been off, pick'em, and stuff I did not know. I say probably 40% on the test was not in any of my review directly.

I did:
DIT x 2
FA x 4
Pathoma x 2
UW x 1 = 78%
Rx around 30% through it = 65-70%

School Diagnostic = 180 (2 months out)
USMLE 16 = 241 (month out)
USMLE 13 = 254 (2 weeks out)
USMLE 15 = 256 (4 days out)

I created my own practice test out of UW questions (161 questions/half a test) = 77% (2 days out)
Free "138" = 85% [249] (1 day out)

I finished each section with plenty of time. I averaged around 8 minutes left over to review questions on each block. There was only one block I wish I had a little more time on. I did not find the questions stems that much longer. You just have to learn how to read them to get out what you need. Ton of fill info.

Well, that is about it. If the test is graded like UW and a 70% correct is a good score then I will be ok. But, if you have to get around 90% correct to get that score then I am in trouble.

I feel I am more around a 65-70% correct rate.

Anyways, I wanted a 230 going into it and would be happy with a 220. I am known for doing poorly on standardized tests and have never matched my practice scores. So, I will take whatever I can get as long as it passing. Would really hope for at least a 200. Most importantly, it is over..................for now.

I can sleep. :sleep:
how many hours a day did you study for?

around 8-10 hrs
thank you so much because thank you so much i wanted to know at least how many hours i should put in. i am a mother of twin 2 year olds and i try to do nothing less than 9 hrs monday through friday. somedays i do 12 hrs but its been really hard especially with my terrible twos(x2) lol

Undergrad Science GPA: 2.9 (cum: 2.87)
MCAT: 31
Bench Press: 410 (this matters about as much as my MCAT or UG science GPA)
CBSE (end of 2nd year): 240
U world 1st pass average: 73%
UWSA 1- 252 (after 1st pass through U world about 1 week post CBSE)
UWSA 2- 260 (after 2nd pass through U world)
NBME 16- 260 (2 days after UWSA 1)
NBME 15- 260 (Day after UWSA 2, 4 days out)

Actual: 256

Resources: Used Firecracker through first 2 years. 4 weeks prep with U world (2x through) Pathoma review, Baby Robbins for questions, and Goljian Audio in the car during the school year. I didn't open FA consistently enough to say I used it. Went to <10 classes my first two years and did not use lecture material to prep for school exams (was interesting in hindsight). Happy with my score overall.
Hi,
Actually was browsing through these threads, I have similar gpa for my undergrad, Can you please tell me how can i strengthen my application to apply ?
Thanks

Haha - this will undoubtedly be long-winded, so brace yourself.

First off, I'm writing this first part prior to knowing my score (trying to eliminate any biases). I've worked very hard my first 2 years at a very good medical school (avg MCAT >35, GPA>3.7) - and have been doing around 1 SD above. I stress this because I believe the best thing anyone can do for their own step 1 studying is work very hard and diligently on the material presented during the first 2 years. There were things on NBMEs and Step 1 that I used knowledge from studying those first two years rather than my devoted study period.

I used 7 weeks of pure study time using a few resources, but drilling them in (Main ones were UWorld, First Aid, Pathoma with supplemental use of USMLE-Rx and Kaplan qBank)
7.5 Weeks Out (Baseline): UWSA 1 - 230
4.5 Weeks Out: NBME 13 - 245
4.5 Weeks Out: UWSA 2 - 260
3.5 Weeks Out: NBME 11 - 251
2.5 Weeks Out: NBME 12 - 262
1.5 Weeks Out: NBME 7 - 264
Last Week Out: Free 150 - 91%; NBME 16 - 254, NBME 15- 258

The Test: I felt like it most closely resembled the later NBMEs, and I came out feeling cautiously optimistic about it. However, as days passed, I remembered more questions and (unfortunately) looked them up - and I already know of a handful that I got wrong. As much as possible, resist the urge to look up answers - or at be at risk of losing your sanity.

I'm definitely a bit worried that I 'peaked' early - as the week before I was in the 260s, and my avg on my last 2 NBMEs was 256. I would be content with a 250+, but am secretly hoping that I might break the 260 barrier. I'll come back and edit this draft tomorrow when I know my score.

-----
UPDATE: Alright guys, here we go...
Score: 259 - haha, how poetic. so close, yet so far. Happy to be done!

Noticed the programs that sent you invites and had a feeling that you did extremely well on your boards. My guess was right! Congratulations and the Best of Luck!

Last edited:
Autoplexy, awesome score and congrats on all of your hard work! I was wondering if you could help me make my own Step 1 study schedule and to help narrow down what resources to use. I'm about to start my M2 year. What was your study schedule like? What resources worked for you? Thanks so much!