***Official 2006 Step 1 Results Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AwesomeO-DO

robot voice]I am AwesomeO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may not be the first to take Step one in 2006, but I gotta be close, so I declare the 2006 Step 1 forum OPEN. It may lay dormant for some time, but some day the class of 2008 will thank me for getting things ready for them. Don't worry, I set the bar pretty low. How low you ask? well.... less than 240 and more than 182. All I care is that I don't have to take that damn test again. They say then next few are easier. We'll see........

Members don't see this ad.

no one needs to worry about what hurdle i have to pass. I posted my score cuz i was happy to be done with step 1 and so that others could add my data to the set to see how the practice materials correlated with my score. Thanks for adding your two cents in for no reason and trying to ruin my mood. Too bad you dont know what i went through, and sadly for you, there is NO mark on my record. next time, instead of wasting your time digging through old posts and trying to put someone down you can just try and put up some encouraging posts to help your fellow students.

yeah, that post was a bit of a low blow if you ask me. Congrats on your score.

Aight, since I actually know some people on here in person, i'll be deliberately vague about my actual score.

Number of hairs on my head: 120,000
Number of future children: 3
PPD test: negative ;)
MCAT score: 36
Class performance: Usually top quartile but we're unranked in years 1 and 2
Qbank average over the entire study period - 78%
NBME 3 2 weeks before (halfway through path) - 228
NBME 4 1 week before (w/o reviewing any biochem/genetics) - 232
Actual Step I score - 240+

Strategy over 4.5 weeks - Began with basic building blocks like embryo, anatomy, physio, neuro and path... the last two weeks, I amped it up with short-term memory subjects like microbio, pharm, epi/behavioral sci and biochem/genetics. I studied during the day and used Qbank at night in 50 block questions and/or NBME tests. The last 4 days I saved for a comprehensive "sdn-style review" across every subject in the afternoons with tons of questions at night. I started with 8-10 hour days and eventually ramped up to about 12 hours a day during the review period.

Books:
FA - annotate this bastard book till it bleeds starting the summer after 1st year... you won't regret it.
Path - BRS PATH IS THE FREAKIN BIBLE!! I annotated this book since the beginning of 2nd year with clinical details, extra pathology/labs and other things I thought were helpful during my classes. If you master this book, you'll pass Step I. I also supplemented with Rubin's Path textbook for pictures and further detail on scant topics. I did a few of the Robbin's Review Q's here and there, but nothing major.
Physio - Not much to review here if you paid any attention during 2nd year... BRS physio is the way to go.
Embryo/Anatomy/Neuro - the HY is series is AMAZING for these 3 semi-related subjects. Know these books.
Microbio and Pharm - FA is top notch for both of these subjects. to supplement things that were scant, i used clinical micro made simple for micro and my class syllabus for pharm. clinical micro has AWEsome sections on antimicrobials, antifungals and antiparasitic drugs.
Epi/Behavioral Sci - pretty well covered in FA, what you don't know will be well covered in BRS behavioral science.
Cell/Molecular/Biochem/Genetics - not well covered in FA, you WILL need to supplement. i used HY Biochem AND HY Molecular Biology... both were very good. anything that was weak concerning pathways/diseases, i referred to online resources or class notes from 1st year.

DEFINITELY review in the last few days leading up to your test. you'll be surprised as hell how much you forget over the weeks that you study. review is key. and the nbme tests are worth their weight in gold! do them!

good luck everyone... sdn has been helpful to me for SO many years, so the least i can do is give back...

- flash

Members don't see this ad :)
velo said:
yeah, that post was a bit of a low blow if you ask me. Congrats on your score.

I agree, that was uncalled for. Great score, I hope to do at least that well when I take step 1 :thumbup:

Wow.....a lot of high achievers in here.

My main goal was to just pass, since I am already doing an oral surgery residency. Just jumping through hoops.....

Qbank: 59%. Finished 95% of the questions, all random and timed. Started off in the low 50's and high 40's and ended up in the high 70's to low 80's.
First Aide: read half-@ssed about 2-3 times.
Goljan: Listened to 75% of his lectures.
150 Q: I think I scored in high 60's 3 weeks before the actual exam.
Final score: 215. I was actually disappointed that I didnt get 182 because that meant I only studied too much for this exam.

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. Maybe I've been brainwashed by all the posts on here that 220-240 is the bare minimum for Radiology, but it is still a disappointment. Maybe it's not out of the picture yet, but last week I was almost sure that I would be able to match, now I consider it a longshot. I don't think that's a distorted assessment, but I'd be happy to hear if anyone thinks otherwise.

I am thinking I will contact the program coordinator here where I am doing most of my rotations (West Penn. Hosp. Pittsburgh) and see if anyone will talk to me regarding my chances. They always have a Temple grad or two, but I imagine there will be Temple applicants with better scores than 200.

Hi,
NBME one month before- around the average
NBME one week before step1- 248
Step1- 256

I read FA the semester before and started on Qbank with the 3mo subscription. I re-read FA during my month of studying and went heavy on BRS (path,physio,behavior, and the questions for micro and anatomy). I didn't quite finish Qbank but came close (tutor mode with FA open and taking notes). Another thing that helped was putting a sticky on the difficult FA pages (ie. the pharm side effects page) and reviewing it multiple times throughout the months before. I hope that helps.

Sean2tall said:
Thanks all for the words of encouragement. Maybe I've been brainwashed by all the posts on here that 220-240 is the bare minimum for Radiology, but it is still a disappointment. Maybe it's not out of the picture yet, but last week I was almost sure that I would be able to match, now I consider it a longshot. I don't think that's a distorted assessment, but I'd be happy to hear if anyone thinks otherwise.

I am thinking I will contact the program coordinator here where I am doing most of my rotations (West Penn. Hosp. Pittsburgh) and see if anyone will talk to me regarding my chances. They always have a Temple grad or two, but I imagine there will be Temple applicants with better scores than 200.

Look on the bright side. You've passed step 1. People who want to do radiology and do not, to them I would say that hope is pretty bleak. You, however, have passed (and by a decent amount) and still have every opportunity to absolutely demolish step 2 before you submit your applications to programs.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that's going to keep you from doing radiology is yourself. How badly do you want it? You might not be as comfortable right now as someone who got a perfect score but take it as an opportunity for personal growth, get back up and pour yourself out into your rotations and next step. You'll do great.

Pompacil said:
You're a douchebag.

Whatever thats a bit uncalled for, especially coming from a guy that is going to be a doctor in less than a year.
Are you the best that Drexel has to offer? Hopefully not.

To Sean2tall
Don’t rule out radiology yet b/c of your score. Step 1 is not the only thing: grades during YrIII, research, PR (know people in rads department, talk to PD asap) are also important. I have interest in radiology as well and talked to many people. They all agreed that if your score is lower you might need to apply broadly (60+ programs) and concentrate on smaller community programs. Pick up a research project in rads if you have time. Take step 2 early and do your best. Good luck!

Hello everyone,

This is my first posting on this site. I have a slew of questions now that I have finished step 1 and got my score (about 1 std above average):

1) Why is there a general tendency for ppl not to share their scores, especially with fellow classmates? I've seen people post here that don't reveal their scores because they're afraid ppl from their school will read it.

2) How is it possible to find out what the mean was for this year? Also, does the two-digit number change from year to year? for example, if this yr. a 220 is 89, is it possible that in a year where the mean was much higher a 220 would be like an 86?

3) What are the core clerkships? Are they Internal Med, Surgery, and Peds?

This is all I can think of for now.

Lastly, I would like to say that by my own experience and by reading many of the posts here there are a lot of different ways to study. While I think it is fine to read these posts to get general ideas, I really believe that people should take everything written here with a huge grain of salt. What works fantastically for one person might be useless for another. The bottom line is that if you get through all the high-yield material in whatever way you are most comfortable with you should avoid worrying about materials you should've been studying from. People should realize that noone who got a good score can retrospectively pinpoint one or more specific things that allowed them to get a good score because they would never know if they would have scored that high with a totally different study method or not.

Sorry for the long post.

Members don't see this ad :)
SN1981 said:
Hello everyone,

This is my first posting on this site. I have a slew of questions now that I have finished step 1 and got my score (about 1 std above average):

1) Why is there a general tendency for ppl not to share their scores, especially with fellow classmates? I've seen people post here that don't reveal their scores because they're afraid ppl from their school will read it.

2) How is it possible to find out what the mean was for this year? Also, does the two-digit number change from year to year? for example, if this yr. a 220 is 89, is it possible that in a year where the mean was much higher a 220 would be like an 86?

3) What are the core clerkships? Are they Internal Med, Surgery, and Peds?

This is all I can think of for now.

Lastly, I would like to say that by my own experience and by reading many of the posts here there are a lot of different ways to study. While I think it is fine to read these posts to get general ideas, I really believe that people should take everything written here with a huge grain of salt. What works fantastically for one person might be useless for another. The bottom line is that if you get through all the high-yield material in whatever way you are most comfortable with you should avoid worrying about materials you should've been studying from. People should realize that noone who got a good score can retrospectively pinpoint one or more specific things that allowed them to get a good score because they would never know if they would have scored that high with a totally different study method or not.

Sorry for the long post.

1) The score is either so high or so low that they don't want people forming opinions of them.

2) ?

3) At my school, it is OB/GYN, Internal Medicine, and Surgery. Other schools counts Peds as well.

SN1981 said:

On your score report it mentions that the mean this year (for US and Canadian students) was 217 and the SD was 23.

I don't know about the 2-digit, except to say that its based on your total performance and is scaled so that the minimum passing score is a 75

Sean2tall said:
Thanks all for the words of encouragement. Maybe I've been brainwashed by all the posts on here that 220-240 is the bare minimum for Radiology

those comments are because there are some programs with Step 1 "cut-offs" where you need, say, at least in the 230s to get an interview. I have no reason to believe, however, that all programs are like that and if you apply broadly, have strong evals/grades/+-research, and show improvement on step 2, I see no reason why you can't still go for rads. Buck up, and keep that head high. Its a short man's world, us lanky kids gotta stick together.

Woops didn't realize there was an "official" thread, so i'll put my experience here.

I got my Step 1 results in the mail yesterday and I was a bit surprised. I scored a 231/94, but was expecting something in the 240s or higher. Here's some background on my preparation:

I studied for 26 days after 2nd yr ended, for about 12 hrs a day.

The main sources I used were Step Up to the Bedside, the 4 NBME practice tests, Goljan audio, and some QBank. Used FA and HY books to supplement and lots of Wikipedia.

I spent most of the last 9 days going through the 4 NBME practice tests. I first worked through NBME Forms 3 and 4 sent to me from a friend, looking up answers as needed. I then bought NBME Forms 1 and 2 and scored 800 (>265) on both of them, though these were done in self-paced mode and completely open book. I did the 150 free questions in pieces early on, but don't know my percentage.

Completed only 20% of QBank, random timed blocks, with a 71% average.

Listened to 2 Goljan lectures each night, spending 2 hours per lecture and taking copious notes. Goljan helped me understand the material tremendously.

I'd say I'm a good test taker overall. Back in high school, I scored a perfect 1600 on the SAT. I had a 37T on the MCAT (11V, 14P, 12B, T writing). I go to a top 10 med school and my grades in 2nd yr are mostly Honors with some High-passes which would probably put me in the top third of the class.

Coming out of the exam, I felt like I had prepared well and was hoping to get over 250 if things went right. But as you can tell, the score is about 20 pts shy of what I was expecting.

Anyway, I'm disappointed on how Step 1 turned out. Just wondering what you all think or if anyone's experienced something similar..

Take care,
EM

MCAT: 31
Qbank, finished about 95%, average around 70% correct, all random blocks of 50
free 150 questions: 83% (1 week before exam)
NBME 2: 550 (1 week before exam)
NBME 4: 600 (2 days before exam)
actualy step 1 score: 238/96

2 points below my goal but i'm happy with my score.

used BRS Path ONLY in my path class and read it twice before step 1
went thru First Aid (2004 version) about 3 times
went thru Step Up once
went thru Microbio made ridiculously simple twice
went thru High Yield Anatomy, High Yield Neuroanatomy once
went thru High Yield Cellbiology twice

and most important of all, reading SDN when i feel tired/discouraged/burn-out. It really cheered me up when i needed it! thanks SDN!

(can we have more SDN tshirt styles by the way?)

If the mean is 217, then where are the MAJORITY of USMLE takers?

It seems that only people who want to brag about the scores post on here. It is particularly annoying.

I agree bro...my score was better than I'd though I could do...then i google searched for info on what the score means...next thing i know...i find SDN and learn that my "good" score is pretty crappy compared to the majority of the posters...

i'm kind of wondering if (1) it's a sampling error (2) those with lower scores are less likely to post (3) some people are making stuff up or (4) a combination of 1-3

OSU man...nice work...you should be proud of that score! dont get discouraged by the 1000+ kids here with 250+ scores...statistically they make up less than 5% of all test takers (From what i can tell 245 is the cutoff for the top 8%...also found on a google search so who knows the accuracy)

Sampling error is huge because SDN users (especially nonlurkers) are in no way representative of med students on the whole -- especially those who contribute regularly to the USMLE forum.

Many med students I know just used First Aid and QBank -- this strategy is much more uncommon here.

Got my score today in the mail:
Step 1= 255 (99)
NBME1 3wks prior= 221
NBME3 6days prior= 247
NBME4 4days prior= 250
Qbank= 72% total (80% done)

I pasted my previous post from the experiences section below. The only thing I would emphasize again is NOT TO LET PEOPLE FREAK YOU OUT! Just do the best you can and don't let them stress you. Good luck all!

I took about 6 weeks to study. My plan was to get through everything by the end of 4, then focus on questions and rereading FA. I used some old Kaplan books for biochem, micro, and immuno, HY for behavior and cell and molec, and BRS for my systems based path and phys. I think that annotating FA with each of these sources really helped me make sure I focused on the important stuff, as outlined by FA, while fleshing out the details with things from other books. Also, it was nice in my last 1.5-2 weeks to have everything I wanted to look over in one spot. My goal was to have everything I needed to know in FA, while I knew I would never “memorize it.”

I used qbank for questions. I tried to do 50-100 random per day and just used it as a learning tool, rather than use it as a gauge on how I was doing. That said, I did only blocks of 50 to try to get my brain adapted to that time frame.

Some tips:
-Qbank is terrible as a predictor for “what will the test be like.” It is excellent for helping identify the important concepts. Use it as a guide of what concepts to focus on, but don’t memorize all the minutiae. However, it’s helpful to read every explanation.
-You should know the different classes of receptors (tyrosine kinase, G-pns, steroid, etc.), how they work, and what receptors are in each class. I would also know the 3 main classes of Gpns (Gq, Gs, Gi) I made mnemonics for the ones I didn’t know and then scribbled them on my eraser board as soon as I got there. Sure enough, I got 5 or so q’s on these. They were easy if you had memorized them. One of the last chapters of HY cell and molec is really good at this.
-Do the NBME’s, especially 3 and 4. Those 2 were quite similar to my real exam. If you want to go over the answers, just do the self timed mode and take 10 minutes per block to cut and paste all the questions into a word doc. Then you can scrutinize them at your leisure. This should be your guide as to what to focus on.
-If you find yourself starting to do poorly toward the end of a block, take a break and check your answers half way through each block. I found this really helped me and I didn’t get as tired.
-The most important thing you can do for yourself is to know the how and the why of pathology. For this, the first few BRS path chapters were very helpful. This isn’t well covered in FA, but you can reason a lot of things through if you know the basics. If you don’t get something, look it up in Robbins.
-Don’t let people stress you out. I felt I was doing fine on the NBME’s and then a couple friends told me they thought it was way different than any of the NBME’s. This intimidated me and stressed me out, but I realized during the real test that it was quite similar to the NBME’s, at least in the concepts. Just stick to what you are seeing on them and you will be fine.
-For first years: just understand it the first time around and it will be much easier later on. I was amazed at how I would remember random things from path lab during my test.

Anyway, good luck everyone!

OSUdoc08 said:
If the mean is 217, then where are the MAJORITY of USMLE takers?

It seems that only people who want to brag about the scores post on here. It is particularly annoying.
No kidding.... notice all the <10 posters coming on here just to brag. On the other hand people sometimes just want to hate and be jealous (not you dude). I've told two people in my class my actual score and I trust them to be quite. While a few others have really put me on the spot to tell them (I usually just say it went well and I'll very happy with it), I finally said it was b/t 1 and 2 st_dev's..... now there's this rumor????? going around that I'm BRAGGING about my score and got a 241??? Both incorrect. Some people just suck :(

lord_jeebus said:
Sampling error is huge because SDN users (especially nonlurkers) are in no way representative of med students on the whole -- especially those who contribute regularly to the USMLE forum.

Many med students I know just used First Aid and QBank -- this strategy is much more uncommon here.
certainly you must have meant to say that it's the lurkers (not the regular posters) that skew the sdn average above 217. just look through the years of sdn "official step I" threads in which tons of n00bs and lurkers with <100 posts come to yap about their high scores.

if you're a n00b or a lurker, at least post your study schedule/books/etc so that your posts aren't completely worthless to sdn.

ndspider said:
Whatever thats a bit uncalled for, especially coming from a guy that is going to be a doctor in less than a year.
Are you the best that Drexel has to offer? Hopefully not.

You brought up a sensitive, unpleasant bit of history for one poster for all to see. It was totally random and uncalled for, and I stand by my comment.

TheFlash said:
certainly you must have meant to say that it's the lurkers (not the regular posters) that skew the sdn average above 217. just look through the years of sdn "official step I" threads in which tons of n00bs and lurkers with <100 posts come to yap about their high scores.

if you're a n00b or a lurker, at least post your study schedule/books/etc so that your posts aren't completely worthless to sdn.

Agreed on all counts.

By lurkers I meant people w/ 0 posts (I know there are lots of them).

Qbank - 100% completed, mid 70's early on...mid 80's near the end
BSS - low 70's, high 60's
Q book - 75% complete (didn't keep track of % correct)
Goljan audio - listened through > 1000 times...no, seriously
NBME form I - 540 (~236) 3.5 weeks before exam
Step I - 253 (99)

Big Frank's advice is still solid gold...what else needs to be said? I only strayed from his advice to take the Goljan route (audio & RR). I was REALLY bummed by my NBME practice score...so much so that I didn't take any of the other forms or the 150 released items. I also agree 100% with p53 about wasting your time trying to memorize FA word for word. There were parts of it I barely even read...most notably Heme/Onc. Concepts are KEY...tumor markers and Chr. #'s are for the birds.

On a separate note...why do people post their range but not their score :confused: What does posting one's range conceal? Why are med students so freakin secretive about their scores? When did you people begin equating self worth with single digits? Why does this bother me so much? :laugh:

Last and most importantly, there IS a reward for hard work...thank GOD :thumbup:

BlackNDecker said:
On a separate note...why do people post their range but not their score :confused: What does posting one's range conceal? Why are med students so freakin secretive about their scores? When did you people begin equating self worth with single digits? Why does this bother me so much? :laugh:

Cuz med students are highly competitive-minded individuals, whose egos need to be preserved, even amongst the company of strangers.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement: Velo, sonora, hudsontc :) I hope I didn't miss any. Of course, the first couple of days have been kind of depressing, but I'm going to give it my best shot no matter what. But now a solid backup plan is probably in order. Thanks for all of the advice.

Sean

I guess it is a short person's world velo . . . I hit my head on an IV hanger. ;)

beefballs said:
& they have small dongs

It's ironic then that step scores would be rounded down, whereas you can bet your a$$ that they'd list they're dong size to the third decimal point :laugh:

Edit:
I just realized your user name is beefballs :laugh: Nice.

Hey, speak for yourself. I am known as "Long Sean Silver" in some circles.

BlackNDecker said:
It's ironic then that step scores would be rounded down, whereas you can bet your a$$ that they'd list they're dong size to the third decimal point :laugh:

BlackNDecker said:
This post begs a response from the Long Dong.

Congrats on the score. :thumbup:

Great job! Here's a similar score along with my study experience.

Actual step 1 score: 251/99 low in repro/endocrine, high in micro/immuno
NBME 1: 600 = 240 (10 days before actual) had not reviewed path.
MCAT: 29 10/10/9(bio) non-science major, avg 2hrs a day for 3 months.
SAT: 1150 like many in HS.. dumb athlete w/ zero hrs of specific prep
Q bank: started in low 60's finished 3/4 of questions with 74% avg (timed, totally random 50 ? blocks) during last 2 months before boards (each night...1hr for test, 1-2hrs for review). Reviewed all explanations. added info to FA if it looked good.
Med school grades: just barely above class avg. overall
NBME Shelf exams: histo~50%, phys=83%, micro>99%, path=93%, pharm=89%... I studied for shelves and not to do well in class during 2nd year.

Study method: filled FA with info from Kaplan review books a little during 1st year, and throughout 2nd year... did not go to class. (except path) Did not use class notes much.

During 1st year... when I went to class I studied 2-3 hrs outside/day. BRS physio is the best. Lippincott biochem was really good. Learned anatomy well.

During 2nd year... spent avg 6-8 hrs individual studying/day w/ skipping most classes. with at least one day off a wk.
Path: studied BRS, Goljan Rapid Review heavily (read everything at least 3 times), Goljan audio on MP3, only when traveling to school (listened 3 times throughout the year -boards studying time. Big Robbins (read every word of first 1/2, but found it too time consuming and started reading captions, and words in italics, bold, and in boxes, etc.... this seemed more HY... great pictures and charts), did a few chapters of robbins question book.
Pharm: just put kaplan into FA throughout the year and crammed for each test... monotonous. Used Lippincott only for pharmacodynamics/kinetics
Micro: read Micro made ridiculous as intro and then read 3-4 times Kaplan Micro (best book).. covered book up with 3-5 card to quiz self and made sure I knew every word. used Lippincott flash cards (very good detail) when bored of Kaplan.
For all classes: used medical dictionary, google, and wikipedia.com when I didnt understand something

Board study:
Started reviewing at 4.5 months out with avg 3 hrs day of putting 1st year Kaplan material into FA (zerox, draw, write etc)... weaknesses first. while still studying for 2nd year classes. At 1 month out I finished all Kaplan books... so basically anything that I didnt know in Kaplan was now in my FA... (Very time consuming, and now tedious to read all the crap I put in my FA),I did not use Kaplan Path (useless), nor Immuno (very good but ran out of time), used HY Series for specific areas I felt weak in. Only read HY Immuno cover to cover. was done with school during last 5wks... studied 10-11hrs daily w/ one day off/wk to relax. abandoned Q bank with 10 days left (avg 79% over last 300 ?'s) and read Goljan path RR cover to cover (3rd time in 2nd year) putting post-its on high lighted areas to go over and quiz myself. Read most of FA again during last 5 days (studied 6-8hrs a day during last week b/c getting burnt out and sick of FA) took a day off 3 days before exam. Got nervous the day before the exam about not finishing FA again. Studied 6-8 hrs day before(not recommended if you stress out easily) went over Epibio, immuno, embryo, and virals in FA. Slept a good 8 hrs night before. No one source was perfect replica of actual Test.... was most similar to NBME. with many Q bank style ?'s (doing q bank timed and random made me feel very comfortable with the actual exam), USMLE ? book from Rapid Review (Goljan is an author) had very similar ?'s. afterwards, I guessed i'd get b/tw 230-250.

I have to thank all those who posted advice over the last couple years... especially Big Frank and his gang... It helped me out tons to get a score I feel I didnt deserve. Cherry Pie also seemed to have some really great last minute advice that I trust. thanks again, and good luck to all

Fatty Acid said:
I have to thank all those who posted advice over the last couple years... especially Big Frank and his gang... It helped me out tons to get a score I feel I didnt deserve. Cherry Pie also seemed to have some really great last minute advice that I trust. thanks again, and good luck to all

a 251 doesnt happen "accidentally"...and it appears you put in more than the necessary amount of work...i'd say you earned it for sure! great work and congrats

I wrote this recently, so bumping it to help the n00bs.

kito said:
Qbank = 67%
Goljan (audio, notes, high yield)
Kaplan lecture notes
First Aid
Netter
NBME (free = 83% first test = 602)

Back in January I took a friend's advice and bought a used set of Kaplan Step 1 lecture notes (the books they give out during the prep class) from 2005, and I used the pathology and pharmacology book to study for block exams. I found this pretty helpful at the time because our notes were often pretty awful and kaplan helped teach me the material without some of the irrelevant details that our school notes featured. It also helped me get acclimated with the books and made them far less unfamiliar and intimidating during Step 1 study. In hindsight I'd say that the Kaplan pathology book is pretty substandard with respect to level of detail and completeness of explanations, but is fine as an outline of important concepts. The pharmacology is excellent in every way, and helped me out tremendously during the year.

I bought Qreview at about the same time through a Kaplan promotion that was marketed on campus and began using it right away to study for block exams. Our teachers don't give us many practice questions to work on in preparation for exams so I used Qbank's pathology, pathophysiology, microbiology and pharmacology questions to practice. The questions were mildly helpful to me as far as school exams go, but again I kept in mind the ultimate purpose.

After my last final exam I went to our school's academic development office and asked for advice. I didn't ask about books or resources or scheduling, I just asked for general direction, about how to get started. I got some good answers: I determined that my weakest single subject was microbiology, and so I spent the first week of studying reading the Kaplan microbiology and immunology book, and their biochemistry book from cover to cover. I did this during the day and during the evening I did something lighter and more enjoyable, which for me was perusing Kaplan's anatomy book and staring at Frank Netter's marvellous anatomy plates. I thought of it as a nice break and somewhat of a reward after a hard day at work.

After the first week I got down to a studying regimen that was guided by some basic principles. I realized early that I would never be able to dedicate entire days to a single subject. I would never be able to spend an entire day on just histology, or just pathology or just pharmacology. So what I did was organize my daily agenda by "major" and "minor" subjects. I classified pathology and pathophysiology as major subjects. I classified pharmacology, anatomy, histology, microbiology, immunology, physiology and epidemiology as minor subjects.

So everyday I tried very hard to spend at least half of my time on a major subject, and to spend the rest of the time on one or two minor subjects. I would be sure to never repeat the same regimen more than two days in a row, that way no one subject gets ignored. So I might do neuropathology, anatomy and physiology on Monday, and then finish neuropathology, while doing some pharmacology and epidemiology on Tuesday. This strategy kept the bag mixed, which did wonders for keeping things from getting stale. It also worked well because I got to doing pathology/pathophysiology everyday, which for me helped organize the rest of the relevant information related to the various systems.

All of the material, much like the exam itself, is amazingly integrated, so I found it very difficult to study one subject (say pathology) properly without simultaneously studying the bugs, drugs, biochemistry and physiology of the system. I never understood how someone could get by studying just the pathology (in BRS pathology) for a whole day without studying the other stuff that is related and relevant to that pathology. The man who brought it all together for me was Edward Goljan. His audio is a fully integrated experience that brings together the major principles of all of the relevant subjects with the clinical acumen that Step 1 really tests.

By the beginning of week three I had been through all of the Kaplan books once and at this point took a good friend's advice and turned to Goljan. I went through all of his audio within two weeks while simultaneously going through the corresponding sections in first aid for the first time. At the end of my first week of audio use I began to go through his notes from the beginning, that way I was a week behind in my reading than I was with the audio. Within another two weeks (the one month point of studying) I was done with the audio, and nearing the end of his voluminous set of notes. Through it all I made sure to understand every big idea and concept in both the lectures and the notes. This involved extensive use of Google images to fill in for lecture slides he refers to, Utah's wonderful WebPath site, answers.com and wikipedia. I continued to slowly make my way through first aid, so that at the end of that first month of studying I had finished one round of first aid.

Week five consisted of Goljan's high yield notes, which are lists consisting of words and ideas that have showed up on Step 1. I went through all of the subject based high yields including pathology, physiology, microbiology, pharmacology, anatomy, and biochemistry. The high yields are wonderful to read after hearing the lectures and reading the notes because they are a culmination of all of the little clinical vignettes, trivia nuggets and pathologic pearls that he drops throughout. If you studied the audio and the notes properly the high yields will leave you slapping your forehead the entire time because you will totally remember all of these tidbits from your earlier study. I supplemented the high yields by looking up anything that I didn't already understand using the online sources I listed and Kaplan's books.

The final week was about finishing Qbank, which I had used at a clip of about 100 questions a day since week two, attempting IVQbank (which I thought sucked), going through First Aid one more time, and doing NBME questions. I did the free questions on a Monday and spent the afternoon reviewing them. I did the free Kaplan diagnostic that Wednesday, and NBME1 on Thursday before my Friday test day. NBMEs are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but you should only use them to gauge where you are. None of the scored tests have answers but you can select a self paced administration that allows you three hours per 50 question block, that way you can spend an hour doing the block and two hours looking up the answers. Again, there are better ways to spend your studying time, but definitely do one or two NBMEs to get used to the question structure to give yourself a realistic expectation of how the real thing goes.

As for Qbank, I realize that it gets a lot of flak for being too minutiae drive, too nit picky, and too unlike the real thing. I will agree that it is much harder, more specific, and not written with the same prose or style as Step 1, but I will say that with the level of difficulty Qbank brings, and the depth of the answer explanations, it is the single best resource you will find to study for this test. If you do and understand each of the 2100 questions in Qbank, you will do well; there is no other way to say it, and I know of no other resource that can assure you those kinds of results.

As important as all of this studying was, there were two other things that were actually more important than any book or any question bank. The first was that despite the crazy schedule we all kept I most proud of the fact that I didn't stop living life. I kept my exercise schedule 100% intact without ever missing a day. I also made a point to watch "24" and "House" every week, while watching a little bit of the NBA playoffs at night. It made me feel good and made me feel more human and less like a reading machine.

And finally, the single most important contributing factor to my six weeks of Step 1 work was the company I kept; I studied with a close friend. My friend pushed me and kept me going, she answered my questions and listened to my frustrations. We did our work together and it made it all much less painful. If you really want to do well on Step 1 and not sacrifice your sanity, I recommend that you find someone you like and trust. If that person is smarter than you, then you've found your copilot.

Brace yourselves, it's a rough flight.

interesting. i seem to go against the trend, even as one of those good test taker types:

sat: 1530
mcat: 40 S
step 1: 229/93

then again, i didn't take notes the past two years except for in embryology, and my step 1 studying was less insane than that of many who have posted here:

- listened through goljan 1.5x in the month or two before the test. also read through the UCV series in this period in which we still were in regular classes.
- read through first aid twice. no notes as is my style. started this 20 days before the test.
- read through high yield anatomy, biochem, pharm, same 20 day period.
- did all of qbank in 9 days, immediately before the test. 60-80%, 74% overall.

perhaps i could have eked out more points here and there, but at what sacrifice? i'll get into a decent residency, and i've managed to preserve my fitness and sanity throughout.

:thumbup:

Bubb Rubb said:
interesting. i seem to go against the trend, even as one of those good test taker types:

sat: 1530
mcat: 40 S
step 1: 229/93

then again, i didn't take notes the past two years except for in embryology, and my step 1 studying was less insane than that of many who have posted here:

- listened through goljan 1.5x in the month or two before the test. also read through the UCV series in this period in which we still were in regular classes.
- read through first aid twice. no notes as is my style. started this 20 days before the test.
- read through high yield anatomy, biochem, pharm, same 20 day period.
- did all of qbank in 9 days, immediately before the test. 60-80%, 74% overall.

perhaps i could have eked out more points here and there, but at what sacrifice? i'll get into a decent residency, and i've managed to preserve my fitness and sanity throughout.

:thumbup:

I admire that kind of level-headedness. Its easy to freak out and kill yourself for this exam, so kudos to you. :thumbup:

HamOn

NBME 1: 211 (4 days before the exam)

Q Bank: 60% overall, 66% over last 300 Q's, 54% completed

SAT: didn't take it

MCAT: 28

Class ranking: 3rd quartile

Study books:

First Aid (read through once, then reread Micro, Biochem, and Pharm sections)

Annotated Cardio, Resp, and GI in FA with BRS Physio and Path, then decided it took too long so I sold BRS Path and Physio on eBay

Duration: I sorta BS'd around a lot and didn't do much studying at all until about 8 days before the exam. I studied hardcore for about 6 out of those 8 days. By hardcore I mean about 12-14 hours a day. I didn't do anything the day before the exam.

Step 1: 215/87

I'm very happy with my score. I also thoroughly enjoyed my last summer vacation. Hope my score brings down the SDN average a bit.

hey guys what do you think i'll get: :confused:

free USMLE questions 90%
qbank started 62% ended 90% 100% complete
IV qbank started 75% ended 91%
CBSSA given by my school in march before studying at all: 195
NBME 1 580 4 wks before
NBME 2 630 1 wk before
kaplan stimulated 71% 1.5 wks before
board simulator CD 82%
Thanks for the help!! ;)

Hey when did you all take the exam?...still waiting on my end of june scores. I know this is early still, but a bunch of my classmates who took it a week earlier have had their scores 10 days. thanks

foxybrown said:

free USMLE questions 90%
NBME 1 580 4 wks before
NBME 2 630 1 wk before
board simulator CD 82%
Thanks for the help!! ;)
i was a 242, your NBMEs are on par and better than my two (forms 3 and 4)...but your Kaplan stimulated is 3% lower than mine...so...i guess it's up to how you did on test day

i think you will be slightly better than my score with that...probably a 245?

foxybrown said:

free USMLE questions 90%
NBME 1 580 4 wks before
NBME 2 630 1 wk before
board simulator CD 82%
Thanks for the help!! ;)

You need to really buckle down or you may be in trouble with those kind of numbers.