***Official 2006 Step 1 Results Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AwesomeO-DO

robot voice]I am AwesomeO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may not be the first to take Step one in 2006, but I gotta be close, so I declare the 2006 Step 1 forum OPEN. It may lay dormant for some time, but some day the class of 2008 will thank me for getting things ready for them. Don't worry, I set the bar pretty low. How low you ask? well.... less than 240 and more than 182. All I care is that I don't have to take that damn test again. They say then next few are easier. We'll see........

Members don't see this ad.

Samoa said:
Straight from USMLE:

Scoring for Multiple-Choice Items

Multiple-choice items are provided in blocks of approximately 45 to 60 minutes. Blocks of items are constructed to meet specific content specifications. As a result, the combination of blocks of items creates a form of the examination that is comparable in content to all other forms. The percentage of correctly answered items required to pass varies from form to form. However, examinees typically must answer 60 to 70 percent of items correctly to achieve a passing score.

According to the USMLE, the score is based on a percentage, but it is not itself a percentage.

it's not a percentage, nor is it a percentile. i guarantee you this. just another way of expressing the score. who knows why they use it.

(nicedream) said:
You forgot the 2nd part of that sentence bud. Of course that's where it comes from, that's where the 3-digit score comes from too, WITH ADJUSTMENT FOR DIFFICULTY. It's not a percentage.

Precisely, they take your percentage correct and adjust it for difficulty. In other words, two people with a 75 will probably have a different number of correct responses, unless they happened to take the exact same form.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so nobody gets too scared. the fail rate is typically 6%.
Samoa said:
It can't possibly be a percentile, because ~70% of all people taking the test pass it, yet the passing two-digit score is a 75. If it were a percentile, then 74% of test takers would be failing it every year. Instead the failure rate is more like 30%.

thackl said:
Just so nobody gets too scared. the fail rate is typically 6%.

She/he was referring to "all people taking the test", which she/he's accurate on.

Thackl, unless I'm mistaken, the failure rate is much higher than 6% for all test-takers (including FMGs, DO candidates and repeaters). For MD candidates in the US/Canada, the failure rate is closer to 6%

(nicedream) said:
I do have to take issue with that, because the average is usually around 220 and the SD is usually around 20, which would make a 240 around 85th percentile.

=/= as in not equal.

And I used a 240 as an approximate cutoff for a 99. I don't know what it really is.

And the the 2nd number is not a % of questions right. I did not get 99% of the questions on Step One right. No f@$#ing way.

epic, you're correct. I used the overall number instead of just U.S. students because I didn't want OSUdoc to argue with me about how including all test takers makes the passing score a percentile. I didn't mean to alarm anyone.

Pompacil said:
=/= as in not equal.

And I used a 240 as an approximate cutoff for a 99. I don't know what it really is.

And the the 2nd number is not a % of questions right. I did not get 99% of the questions on Step One right. No f@$#ing way.

Sorry, I didn't know that's what "=/=" meant.

Sorry I wasn't more clear on that. 6% is for USA MD candidates. which I assume most of us are on here. I do realize the pass rates for FMG's & DO's are different.
epic1044 said:
Thackl, unless I'm mistaken, the failure rate is much higher than 6% for all test-takers (including FMGs, DO candidates and repeaters). For MD candidates in the US/Canada, the failure rate is closer to 6%

OSUdoc08 said:
Wow, I feel like we are talking in circles.

I am NOT referring to percentile.

I AM referring to percentage of questions.

What proof do you have that the score doesn't demonstrate this?

Superman, you are a ******. The two digit is not a percentage. I did not get 99% correct on Step 1. Why does everything you write have to be so stupid? Can't you once, just for a change, not be an insufferable ass?

kito said:
own3d.jpg
This picture is so funny :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Study time: 2 years of med school, 10 days of review and 3 days of inefficient bored waiting and half assed "studying". During the review period I dedicated the majority of a day to each organ system; reviewed it once, then quickly again 2-3 days later after reviewing whatever other system I had chosen that day.

Used: Big Robbin's, Q-book, Wepath, BRS phys, First Aid pharm/anatomy/BS at the last minute, High Yield neuroanatomy.

QBank ave low 70's - used it to review for path exams during 2nd year. 91% complete.
High 92%
Low 56%

Qbank Full Length 74%, 5 days prior, startlingly close to the real thing

Step 1 253/99

Worst subjects on exam Renal/Urinary, CV
Worst in school renal, behavioral
Best in school CV :laugh:

Essentially I just studied for 2nd year on my own and ignored path/micro and other class lectures and syllabi (with select exceptions). Robbin's text and Q-book were indispensible. BRS Path is terrible compared with Robbin's (you don't have to read every word).

OSUdoc08 said:
Wow, I feel like we are talking in circles.

I am NOT referring to percentile.

I AM referring to percentage of questions.

What proof do you have that the score doesn't demonstrate this?

I don't know, how about the fact that people who scored 20 pts less than me on the three number score also got a '99' two digit score? How is there such a wide range of three digit scores if we're all, according to you, getting 99% right?

Also, according to NBME, they standardize the two digit score so that a 70 (or 75 or something) is the minimum "passing" score. The fact that they standardize that score seems to fly in the face of your theory that that score is your percentage of questions correct.

Here's my study plan & results:
[year 1&2--middle of class]
5 weeks of studying, 8-10 hrs/day
Resources:
-Very useful: FA, Q bank, BRS path, BRS physio
-Somewhat useful: HY anatomy, Lippincott biochem, Robbins Review Q's
-OK, but low yield: HY cell & molecular bio, HY neuro
I bought a lot of books & only used about half of them. FA was plenty for pharm, embryo, micro, anatomy, histo.
NBME practice questions (150): 78% (4 days before test)
Step 1: 228
My advice:
-Don't get bogged down with books. You really don't need that many. Know FA cold & just use other books to clarify concepts.
-Do as many questions as you can. Read all the answers, even if you get them right.
-Avoid med students that stress you out.
-The break time is really not that much, so take snacks you can eat fast.
-Take some excedrin just in case.
-Get adequate sleep every night during your study time & especially the night before the test.
-Exercise or do something during your study time to get your mind off things for a while.
-Take practice tests even if you don't feel ready for them, especially the NBME tests.
-Don't give too much weight to what any 1 person says about the test. They are all different.
-No matter how much you are stressing out, just remember everyone else is too!

SAT: 1490
MCAT: 31 (sucked in verbal)
NBME Form 3: 570
NBME Form 4: 580
Step 1 goal: 226 (a good score despite what you gunners say :)
Step 1 actual: 242 (VERY happy with this...even though it appears only each med school's gunners are posting here for the most part)

congrats to all of you that scored 260+, but let's be honest...did u really do anything besides study for boards in your time off?

i studied about 3-8 hrs/day..with most days around 4 hrs...so studying for boards was low key...and i think that's how i beat a 240...slow and steady and stress free was the way to go...movie breaks, dates, parties, going out in the eve...study in the day...keeps you sane, happy and focused

i lived on MEMORIZING EVERY WORD OF FIRST AID and then Kaplan Q Bank to fill in the blanks

To encourage the non-gunners who read this forum:

I got a 204/83 (came in the mail today.)

It seems that only those who do extremely well post on here.

I took 4 weeks to study and it was plenty, the best advice I heard anyone give is to pay attention during the 1st 2 years (esp. Path).

Qbank= mid 70s
Free test= 75% before studying
NBME 1= 219 before studying
NBME 2= 224 halfway through studying (2 weeks)
MCAT= 26
Step 1= 249/99

Congrats to everybody who passed the beast!

Three weeks of hard core studying (8-12 hours/day). (Our school only gives us ~3 weeks; you can take four weeks if you don't want any vacation btw 2nd and 3rd year).

Books used and recommended:
BRS Path - read select chapters throughout the year, and then re-read entire thing during the last week. I loved this book.

FA - the pharm section needs to be memorized verbatim. It took me two full days to do it, but pharm was by far my best subject on the test. I didn't read all of FA (which may or may not have been a mistake). I do believe that if you memorize AND understand everything in FA, you will rock 250+.

Webpath - The style is quick and to the point. Much better than QBank (especially in the final days when you're tired of reading essay length explanations on QBank).

Q-Bank - necessary evil. Some of the questions are totally out there and irrelevant. I did not need to know a single HLA association. But I did all of it, and then went back at the end and did the questions I got wrong.

Goljan audio - a couple of questions were straight out of Goljan. I burned the lectures onto CDs in March/April and listened to all of them while driving.

NBME - I only took one of these two days before the exam and the score was dead on. I wish I had started earlier and taken all four. I would encourage all future test-takers to take all four because it's tremendously important to become comfortable with the question style. You want to prepare for the right event.

BTW, congrats to everyone! I remember when we were all waiting for the acceptances to roll in. We have come so far! Two more years to MD!

BRUINMD said:
I dont know what bubble that you'r trying to burst..

I, ,like those top students, I spent most of my time understanding the CONCEPTS during my first 2 yrs. I simply hate memorizing stuff without understanding it first! It's the challenge that triggers my interest and the joy I get once I tackle them all down!! It just makes everything a lot easier after understanding the concepts! Sometimes I didnt even have to memorize stuff! What I'm having trouble with is the memorization part. There's a big chunk of medicine is about FACTS! I was practicing Qbanks and realized that there were tons of mintues stuff that I didnt memorize! Thats whats really scared me!

I never used FA along with my studying during first 2 yrs. I just read the text books for each subjects and tried my best to learn them solid! I was not a big fan of just grab some review books and memorize them cover to cover, and scored high on some exams like others did!

I just have not truely focus on studying for the board. I dont sit and study for 8 or 10+ hrs everyday! I know what I'm supposed to be doing, but I just get distracted a lot.

I need a boost to my confidence and need people to kick on my lazy butt!! :laugh:

What are you top scorers' tips on memorizing things that are just PURE facts within such a short time? you know some stuff there's no way to find concepts in them!!

Where are these medical schools where this is possible? I think most people would agree that you can't do well in med school by studying concepts....

Qbank = 67%
Goljan (audio, notes, high yield)
Kaplan lecture notes
First Aid
Netter
NBME (free = 83% first test = 602)

Back in January I took a friend's advice and bought a used set of Kaplan Step 1 lecture notes (the books they give out during the prep class) from 2005, and I used the pathology and pharmacology book to study for block exams. I found this pretty helpful at the time because our notes were often pretty awful and kaplan helped teach me the material without some of the irrelevant details that our school notes featured. It also helped me get acclimated with the books and made them far less unfamiliar and intimidating during Step 1 study. In hindsight I'd say that the Kaplan pathology book is pretty substandard with respect to level of detail and completeness of explanations, but is fine as an outline of important concepts. The pharmacology is excellent in every way, and helped me out tremendously during the year.

I bought Qreview at about the same time through a Kaplan promotion that was marketed on campus and began using it right away to study for block exams. Our teachers don't give us many practice questions to work on in preparation for exams so I used Qbank's pathology, pathophysiology, microbiology and pharmacology questions to practice. The questions were mildly helpful to me as far as school exams go, but again I kept in mind the ultimate purpose.

After my last final exam I went to our school's academic development office and asked for advice. I didn't ask about books or resources or scheduling, I just asked for general direction, about how to get started. I got some good answers: I determined that my weakest single subject was microbiology, and so I spent the first week of studying reading the Kaplan microbiology and immunology book, and their biochemistry book from cover to cover. I did this during the day and during the evening I did something lighter and more enjoyable, which for me was perusing Kaplan's anatomy book and staring at Frank Netter's marvellous anatomy plates. I thought of it as a nice break and somewhat of a reward after a hard day at work.

After the first week I got down to a studying regimen that was guided by some basic principles. I realized early that I would never be able to dedicate entire days to a single subject. I would never be able to spend an entire day on just histology, or just pathology or just pharmacology. So what I did was organize my daily agenda by "major" and "minor" subjects. I classified pathology and pathophysiology as major subjects. I classified pharmacology, anatomy, histology, microbiology, immunology, physiology and epidemiology as minor subjects.

So everyday I tried very hard to spend at least half of my time on a major subject, and to spend the rest of the time on one or two minor subjects. I would be sure to never repeat the same regimen more than two days in a row, that way no one subject gets ignored. So I might do neuropathology, anatomy and physiology on Monday, and then finish neuropathology, while doing some pharmacology and epidemiology on Tuesday. This strategy kept the bag mixed, which did wonders for keeping things from getting stale. It also worked well because I got to doing pathology/pathophysiology everyday, which for me helped organize the rest of the relevant information related to the various systems.

All of the material, much like the exam itself, is amazingly integrated, so I found it very difficult to study one subject (say pathology) properly without simultaneously studying the bugs, drugs, biochemistry and physiology of the system. I never understood how someone could get by studying just the pathology (in BRS pathology) for a whole day without studying the other stuff that is related and relevant to that pathology. The man who brought it all together for me was Edward Goljan. His audio is a fully integrated experience that brings together the major principles of all of the relevant subjects with the clinical acumen that Step 1 really tests.

By the beginning of week three I had been through all of the Kaplan books once and at this point took a good friend's advice and turned to Goljan. I went through all of his audio within two weeks while simultaneously going through the corresponding sections in first aid for the first time. At the end of my first week of audio use I began to go through his notes from the beginning, that way I was a week behind in my reading than I was with the audio. Within another two weeks (the one month point of studying) I was done with the audio, and nearing the end of his voluminous set of notes. Through it all I made sure to understand every big idea and concept in both the lectures and the notes. This involved extensive use of Google images to fill in for lecture slides he refers to, Utah's wonderful WebPath site, answers.com and wikipedia. I continued to slowly make my way through first aid, so that at the end of that first month of studying I had finished one round of first aid.

Week five consisted of Goljan's high yield notes, which are lists consisting of words and ideas that have showed up on Step 1. I went through all of the subject based high yields including pathology, physiology, microbiology, pharmacology, anatomy, and biochemistry. The high yields are wonderful to read after hearing the lectures and reading the notes because they are a culmination of all of the little clinical vignettes, trivia nuggets and pathologic pearls that he drops throughout. If you studied the audio and the notes properly the high yields will leave you slapping your forehead the entire time because you will totally remember all of these tidbits from your earlier study. I supplemented the high yields by looking up anything that I didn't already understand using the online sources I listed and Kaplan's books.

The final week was about finishing Qbank, which I had used at a clip of about 100 questions a day since week two, attempting IVQbank (which I thought sucked), going through First Aid one more time, and doing NBME questions. I did the free questions on a Monday and spent the afternoon reviewing them. I did the free Kaplan diagnostic that Wednesday, and NBME1 on Thursday before my Friday test day. NBMEs are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but you should only use them to gauge where you are. None of the scored tests have answers but you can select a self paced administration that allows you three hours per 50 question block, that way you can spend an hour doing the block and two hours looking up the answers. Again, there are better ways to spend your studying time, but definitely do one or two NBMEs to get used to the question structure to give yourself a realistic expectation of how the real thing goes.

As for Qbank, I realize that it gets a lot of flak for being too minutiae drive, too nit picky, and too unlike the real thing. I will agree that it is much harder, more specific, and not written with the same prose or style as Step 1, but I will say that with the level of difficulty Qbank brings, and the depth of the answer explanations, it is the single best resource you will find to study for this test. If you do and understand each of the 2100 questions in Qbank, you will do well; there is no other way to say it, and I know of no other resource that can assure you those kinds of results.

As important as all of this studying was, there were two other things that were actually more important than any book or any question bank. The first was that despite the crazy schedule we all kept I most proud of the fact that I didn't stop living life. I kept my exercise schedule 100% intact without ever missing a day. I also made a point to watch "24" and "House" every week, while watching a little bit of the NBA playoffs at night. It made me feel good and made me feel more human and less like a reading machine.

And finally, the single most important contributing factor to my six weeks of Step 1 work was the company I kept; I studied with a close friend. My friend pushed me and kept me going, she answered my questions and listened to my frustrations. We did our work together and it made it all much less painful. If you really want to do well on Step 1 and not sacrifice your sanity, I recommend that you find someone you like and trust. If that person is smarter than you, then you've found your copilot.

Brace yourselves, it's a rough flight.

I got 246/99. This thread is full of good advice, which I won't bother to repeat. However, what I thought was interesting was that the medfriends.org predictor was shockingly accurate for me. During my studying, I read several comments on here about how INaccurate medfriends is and for me, that wasn't the case. Based on my Q-bank (75), medfriends predicted 245; based on my free practice exam (83), it predicted 246; based on NBME #2 (620), 247; based on my MCAT (37-39), 248. That's some pretty impressive predicting!

Congrats to all the 260+ scorers. You guys are awesome!

262/99. Got it in the mail yesterday.

Studied 6-8 hours a day for 5 weeks. Then the last 2 weeks probably closer to 8-9 hours a day. I rarely studied >9, my brain doesn't have the endurance. I didn't study on my off time during the school year.

I used a lot of great books that I feel targeted what I needed to know. Message me if you would like a list. I also found the MedFriends.org predictor to be shockingly accurate. My QBank average (83) and my USMLE practice test (86) both gave me a range in the 260s.

My MCAT score of 32 did not, but that wasn't very accurate because I took it cold, back when I wasn't planning on attending medical school. SAT was 1530. I am probably top 1/4 to top 1/3 in an average medical school in the southeast.

Good luck to everyone and congrats to everyone who received the score they wanted. I haven't posted on this board for probably over a year, but I wanted to help out anyone if they have any questions bout preparing, bc starting off I was clueless. Shoot me a message if u have any questions.

266/99
Qbank last 350 - 81%
free NBME test - 88%
NBME 1 (3wks before) - 640
NBME 4 (3days before) - 770

I studied about 6-8 hours a day for a month. worked hard during the day, had fun at night to keep myself sane. it was decently low stress til the last week, which was pretty much a waste anyway. I used 1st aid, step up, BRS path and phys, high yield embryo, and microbio ridic simple. some people went through 1st aid 10-15 times but i disagree with this. you're much better off going through it 2-3 times and supplementing it with other books. this prevents you from subconciously glossing over things that you think you know, and helps you see concepts from different angles. if you get stressed out, take a day off. you won't learn for **** if you're stressed out, and that will make you more stressed for the next day.

the best way to do well on this test is to understand the big concepts before you start reviewing. this shouldn't be hard--if you're still in medical school, you learned all this stuff already. identify any subjects you feel weak in and comprehensively study those NOT from a review book. if cardio is weak, read a cardio book, etc. i can't stress enough the importance of understanding the basic physiology of every system, because it allows you to figure out any questions you might not immediately know the answers to. review books are only good for rote memorization and solidifying concepts that you already know. (hence, "review") NBME is a great predictor: most people i know who took an NBME within a week of their exam scored within 5 points of it.

good luck to all. west coast!

YouDontKnowJack said:
you suck. :laugh:

Ha, I know, kind of a dick post. But what can I say? There were just one too many instances where he quoted that damn book as the absolute authority on a non-boards question. I can understand, to some extent, refering to a review book as the final word on a question seen on Qbank or a NBME exam or the like. But when its a question about medicine its just wrong to use some review book as your principle source of information...still a dick post, but I had residual irritation.

lord_jeebus said:
Did you know you can raise his spirits by preordering Rapid Review Pathology, 2006 edition?

:laugh:

Goljan Goljan Goljan Goljan

Be nice to Poppy. ;)

I think OSUDoc is pulling everyone's leg. I'll betcha he's >250.

I'll keep this short:
QBank.............82% (overall, 80% complete)
USMLE Free......90% (closest to my Step 1)
USMLE Form 3...730 (tough but accurate)
STEP1.............265/99
FA, Goljan audio (all year), BRS, Kaplan Books.
My motto: Learn it in 2nd year.
1 month slack, 1 month harcore.
My school takes all the shef exams too.
Best of luck to everyone.

Hey, I'm a first time poster, but I've been reading other people's posts for a while and I appreciate all the information and advice that was given, so I figured after getting my score yesterday, i'd post and hopefully someone might find it useful.

USMLE Step 1: 238/96
NBME Form 1 (4 wks before exam): 220
NBME Form 2 (2 wks before exam): 226
Kaplan Q-Bank: 71% (mid 70s on random blocks of 50 towards the end)

It's no 260, but I was aiming for a 230 (and like everyone else I thought I failed) so I'm definitely psyched! Materials I used: First Aid 2005, Goljan's Lectures (you can use a program called Enounce to speed up the lectures, i watched them at 2x speed so it definitely saved a lot of time), Kaplan Lecture notes, and Robbin's Review of Pathology (I only had time to do like 30% of the questions).

Everyone who posts here seems like they worked hard for their score, so the only other advice I can give is AIM HIGH and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF....you'll be surprised at what you can achieve.

Thanks to everyone else for their advice/input!

Also....I am looking to go into opthalmology, does anyone know if my score is even good enough for a competitive specialty like optho?

how about we collate all the Qbank scores and actual Step 1 scores and perform a one-way ANOVA test to see once and for all whether Qbank is an accurate predictor

:D lol.. mayb we can apply for a kaplan research grant

Its Not a Tumah said:
Hey, I'm a first time poster, but I've been reading other people's posts for a while and I appreciate all the information and advice that was given, so I figured after getting my score yesterday, i'd post and hopefully someone might find it useful.

USMLE Step 1: 238/96
NBME Form 1 (4 wks before exam): 220
NBME Form 2 (2 wks before exam): 226
Kaplan Q-Bank: 71% (mid 70s on random blocks of 50 towards the end)

It's no 260, but I was aiming for a 230 (and like everyone else I thought I failed) so I'm definitely psyched! Materials I used: First Aid 2005, Goljan's Lectures (you can use a program called Enounce to speed up the lectures, i watched them at 2x speed so it definitely saved a lot of time), Kaplan Lecture notes, and Robbin's Review of Pathology (I only had time to do like 30% of the questions).

Everyone who posts here seems like they worked hard for their score, so the only other advice I can give is AIM HIGH and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF....you'll be surprised at what you can achieve.

Thanks to everyone else for their advice/input!

Also....I am looking to go into opthalmology, does anyone know if my score is even good enough for a competitive specialty like optho?

ophtho avg is 230. you're in the green buddy. good job.

rice_boy said:
how about we collate all the Qbank scores and actual Step 1 scores and perform a one-way ANOVA test to see once and for all whether Qbank is an accurate predictor

:D lol.. mayb we can apply for a kaplan research grant

http://www.medfriends.org/step1_estimator/

Already done. The four criteria it looks at are Qbank, Free 150 practice Qs, NBME, and MCAT. Of those 4, it was actually closest to my actual step 1 score when it calculated an estimate based on the free 150 Qs released by USMLE. But all 4 were in the ballpark, and my actual score fell within the confidence intervals of each estimate.

To make the program more accurate I encourage everyone who has already taken the exam to submit their step 1 score, plus their scores on those 4 parameters, to the site.
http://www.medfriends.org/step1_estimator/step1_submission_agreement.htm

Just got my score today finally...

so here was my break down....

Qbank - 68% , 100% completed
USMLE 150 Released - 75% did all 3 blocks
NBME Form 1 - 580

Actual Exam - 221/90

I guess my score is okay. i was really hoping for 230+ and had felt decently good after the exam. I suppose a 221 is still very good score and Im proud that i was able to get this far. It definately was a long and bumpy road.... feels good to be over this hurdle! :)

Just got mine and I'm really disappointed. I thought I did pretty well, but I got a 200.

I had my heart set on Radiology, but I am fairly confident that is not going to happen. :( I guess I'll figure out something else I like.

Sean

Sean2tall said:
Just got mine and I'm really disappointed. I thought I did pretty well, but I got a 200.

I had my heart set on Radiology, but I am fairly confident that is not going to happen. :( I guess I'll figure out something else I like.

Sean

Chill out Sean,
Take a few days and NOT think about Step 1.......
Radiology isn't out of the mix. Don't think like that
Don't worry.

naperthrill said:
Just got my score today finally...

so here was my break down....

Qbank - 68% , 100% completed
USMLE 150 Released - 75% did all 3 blocks
NBME Form 1 - 580

Actual Exam - 221/90

I guess my score is okay. i was really hoping for 230+ and had felt decently good after the exam. I suppose a 221 is still very good score and Im proud that i was able to get this far. It definately was a long and bumpy road.... feels good to be over this hurdle! :)

Your not over the hurdle yet.
From what I have read... you have been accused of cheating by your Medical School... so if you get a 260 you still have a "red flag" on your applicatioin.
Either way... good luck

Remember this post :)

Hey everyone, I know everyone hates the what if questions but this one is a little more serious. I am being charged by my school with accessing and using materials for my own benefit (basically cheating). Its a long story but basically i was set up by another student and i don't want to get into all those details but in the end i have been given two options:

1. Withdraw and leave medical school with just a W on my transcript
2. Stay in school, have to say i did it (which i didn't) and have the charge of cheating and accessing materials placed on my deans letter and official transcript.

I would like to stay in school but my fear is that if i have this kind of a charge on my transcript and deans letter that it may seriously hinder me from getting a residency? I know that having a charge like this is fairly uncommon amongst medical students (at least i assume it is). Can anyone give me their advice as to what my long term chances really are (Im currently an M-2, so i have two more years to go). Any help would be appreciated. thanks,

naperthrill

Sean2tall said:

Sean

Why?

Because all of the idiots on here who lie about their scores told you?

Don't listen to them....

Kaplan Qbank: 72% (60% done); last 350: 76%
NBME free test (3 weeks before): 74%
Kaplan full length (2 weeks before): 66%
NBME 1 (10 days before): 230
NBME 2 (5 days before): 236
Step 1: 239/97

My goal was anything above 230, so I am ecstatic! I felt that the NBME practice tests were the best predictors for score and the type of questions they ask. Now I just need a passing score on the COMLEX.

OSUdoc08 said:
Why?

Because all of the idiots on here who lie about their scores told you?

Don't listen to them....
OSUdoc08,

I think you lied about your score.

Respectfully,

big frank

ndspider said:
Your not over the hurdle yet.
From what I have read... you have been accused of cheating by your Medical School... so if you get a 260 you still have a "red flag" on your applicatioin.
Either way... good luck

Remember this post :)

Ouch.

Pompacil said:
What do bench press, penis size and step one have in common?

... that if you exercise or practice, they get bigger or higher.

exercise that penis, folks. girls can help out too

Well, I was feeling good about my score until I came here :rolleyes: Well, here's my story anyway.

238/96

The only practice questions I did were QBank. Completed 100% of questions, overall average 67%, but I was averaging 75% in my last week of studying.

Books- The big three were were First Aid, BRS path, and BRS physio. I also used HY micro, biochem, embryo, gross anatomy, behavioral science, histo, and neuroanatomy. I also utilized lange microcards and pharmcards. I also borrowed my study partner's copy of Microbiology Made Redicuously Simple because I thought it covered anti-microbials well. I had a 35 day study schedule, but in retrospect I should have shortened it by a day or two, since the last two days weren't really particularly productive.

Rogue_Leader said:
Well, I was feeling good about my score until I came here :rolleyes: Well, here's my story anyway.

238/96

The only practice questions I did were QBank. Completed 100% of questions, overall average 67%, but I was averaging 75% in my last week of studying.

Books- The big three were were First Aid, BRS path, and BRS physio. I also used HY micro, biochem, embryo, gross anatomy, behavioral science, histo, and neuroanatomy. I also utilized lange microcards and pharmcards. I also borrowed my study partner's copy of Microbiology Made Redicuously Simple because I thought it covered anti-microbials well. I had a 35 day study schedule, but in retrospect I should have shortened it by a day or two, since the last two days weren't really particularly productive.
AOA level score! Good job :thumbup: