USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
Test time: June 2018
Goal score: 270

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I took my exam on August 3rd and I don't see the "Permit Link" button as of this morning. It was there on Sunday and disappeared today for me, so hoping I get my score on Wednesday!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I have no idea where my step score will fall since they’ve been kinda all over. Need some help. These are my practice scores:

NBME 13- 232
UWSA1- 255
NBME 19- 234
NBME 18- 242
UWSA2- 249

Was UWSA2 predictive for most people?

With the exception of 13 and Uworld 1, our practice scores are identical and I got a 249 if that helps.

I took my exam on August 3rd and I don't see the "Permit Link" button as of this morning. It was there on Sunday and disappeared today for me, so hoping I get my score on Wednesday!

Permit link disappeared good luck for wednesday
God willing we all achieve our goals

Members don't see this ad :)
scores out, passed
20 points lower than uwsa2
uwsa 1 228
uwsa 2 224
real deal 205+
guess i got nervous on the exam
oh well on to the next

Last edited:
nothing is closer than the cbse nbme exam if your school offers it
my score was within 4 points of that nbme

nothing is closer than the cbse nbme exam if your school offers it
my score was within 4 points of that nbme
Hi, I did step 1 on Monday 13, and feel pretty bad, I just can´t get over 8 really stupid mistakes I made (eg, who hypermethylates in prader willi mom or dad chromosome) and other 10 mistakes from moderate questions, and those are the ones I remember. How many silly mistakes did you do? What was your feeling after step 1? In the last week I did four nbmes, my scores were the following: UWSA2: 237, NBME 15: 242, NBME 16: 219, and NBME 18: 213 one day before, yes I did the exam with that low score, but I managed to repress the anxiety. I did NBME 13: 228 two weeks before the exam and UWSA1: 248 one moth before the exam. Half of the questions on an exam block were straight forward the other were always between two choices. I don´t know if a I am going to pass, feeling pretty anxious.

Hi, I did step 1 on Monday 13, and feel pretty bad, I just can´t get over 8 really stupid mistakes I made (eg, who hypermethylates in prader willi mom or dad chromosome) and other 10 mistakes from moderate questions, and those are the ones I remember. How many silly mistakes did you do? What was your feeling after step 1? In the last week I did four nbmes, my scores were the following: UWSA2: 237, NBME 15: 242, NBME 16: 219, and NBME 18: 213 one day before, yes I did the exam with that low score, but I managed to repress the anxiety. I did NBME 13: 228 two weeks before the exam and UWSA1: 248 one moth before the exam. Half of the questions on an exam block were straight forward the other were always between two choices. I don´t know if a I am going to pass, feeling pretty anxious.

tbh i felt i got a lot of questions correct, but i knew i missed some easy questions which def hurt my score
felt pretty much the same way.. made some silly mistakes maybe like 8-10, anticipated missing another 10-15 at worst
I felt like i PASSED, but there was a small part of me that thought i failed and it literally took over my mental state
we always anticipate the worst, i can tell you I was pleasantly surprised that i didn't fail.
trust your NBMES not UWSA, people say UWSA 2 is the best predictor, i disagree, UWSA 1/2 over predicts by 20-25 points imo
your nbme 16 and nbme 18 scores are more realistic and closer to mine (i was consistently scoring around 210's on nbmes)
Expect + or - 10 from your lowest nbme score. so expect 200-215 (194 is a pass), so best of luck
you most likely passed unless some freak accident happened on your test, the wait is killer.. you'll know soon enough
do something to pass the time, i literally left the country and went to europe for like 2 wks after my exam.

score came out today 205+ and im so glad its over, gotta get the score up for step 2

Link disappears does not mean pass. Earlier in this thread someone confirmed that theirs disappeared and they did not pass.

passed 205+
glad its over link disappeared prior to scores being released
UWSA's were in the 220's so im not shocked by my step score

tbh i felt i got a lot of questions correct, but i knew i missed some easy questions which def hurt my score
felt pretty much the same way.. made some silly mistakes maybe like 8-10, anticipated missing another 10-15 at worst
I felt like i PASSED, but there was a small part of me that thought i failed and it literally took over my mental state
we always anticipate the worst, i can tell you I was pleasantly surprised that i didn't fail.
trust your NBMES not UWSA, people say UWSA 2 is the best predictor, i disagree, UWSA 1/2 over predicts by 20-25 points imo
your nbme 16 and nbme 18 scores are more realistic and closer to mine (i was consistently scoring around 210's on nbmes)
Expect + or - 10 from your lowest nbme score. so expect 200-215 (194 is a pass), so best of luck
you most likely passed unless some freak accident happened on your test, the wait is killer.. you'll know soon enough
do something to pass the time, i literally left the country and went to europe for like 2 wks after my exam.

score came out today 205+ and im so glad its over, gotta get the score up for step 2
Thanks for your words. I hate to wait too much for the results.

Slaying the beast tomorrow (unless it takes me out first, lol).
Not entirely sure what to expect, since my practice test scores are kind of wonky: In the order taken, they went Kaplan ≈ UWSA --[15pt drop]→ NBME 15 = NBME 17 --[20pt jump]→ NBME 16 (wtf)

Plan was to take NBME 16 yesterday and UWSA2 today for a confidence boost, but now...NBME 16 was 20pts higher than the other NBMEs, and even higher than UWSA1, so I'm thinking of just leaving it, lol. Of these, only the first and last ones were full, 7-section exams taken in an uncomfortable library cubicle to mimic the test conditions.

Reactions: 1 users
Slaying the beast tomorrow (unless it takes me out first, lol).
Not entirely sure what to expect, since my practice test scores are kind of wonky: In the order taken, they went Kaplan ≈ UWSA --[15pt drop]→ NBME 15 = NBME 17 --[20pt jump]→ NBME 16 (wtf)

Plan was to take NBME 16 yesterday and UWSA2 today for a confidence boost, but now...NBME 16 was 20pts higher than the other NBMEs, and even higher than UWSA1, so I'm thinking of just leaving it, lol. Of these, only the first and last ones were full, 7-section exams taken in an uncomfortable library cubicle to mimic the test conditions.
How did your exam go? Was it as beastly as everyone says it is?

Can someone who used UWorld alongside classes M2 comment on this? Debating on if I am going to save it until dedicated or use it as a learning tool alongside classes and do second pass during dedicated.

So is score reporting back to normal? I am taking step 1 on the 9/17, should I expect my score 10/3 or 10/10.

So I basically studied my life away and get my score back and its a 222. Im an MD student and I feel like i have 0 shot at emergency med or anesthesiology ☹️. Really hoped to break the 230 like i did on uwas 1 and 2

So I basically studied my life away and get my score back and its a 222. Im an MD student and I feel like i have 0 shot at emergency med or anesthesiology ☹️. Really hoped to break the 230 like i did on uwas 1 and 2

Chillax, you are fine homie. The 2 letters behind your name + that score will carry you further than you think. Kill step 2.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can someone who used UWorld alongside classes M2 comment on this? Debating on if I am going to save it until dedicated or use it as a learning tool alongside classes and do second pass during dedicated.
I believe it’s best used in random mode with all the systems. I don’t think it’s valuable to use it on a per system basis with classes.
I’m not sure how helpful a second pass will be- I personally was able to remember questions/answers when I went through some of the ones that I got wrong for the second time. So i didn’t feel like it was helpful to go through them a second time.
I feel like a good plan would be Kaplan/RX during the year. Then uworld closer to dedicated time or just during dedicated depending on how much time you get.

Take a breath, you will have plenty of options in both of those fields if you continue to build your app. DO students with a 200-210 matched at a rate of 90% to anesthesia and EM was fairly similar. Improve on step 2, decide between which of the two fields you want and then bust butt on rotations. You'll get where you want to go.

DO NOT waste your UWorld on semester coursework. Get USMLERx or Kaplan. Save UW for the couple months leading up to step 1.

Anyone wanna soothe my post-step anxiety by predicting my score(2 weeks left for result)?

16/7 UWSA1 232
31/7 NBME17 219
6/8 NBME16 225
15/8 NBME18 232
18/8 UWSA2 247
22/8 free120 79%
24/8 real deal
Goal: 225+ but had many many 50/50s on step. Aiming for IM, Swedish IMG

DO NOT waste your UWorld on semester coursework. Get USMLERx or Kaplan. Save UW for the couple months leading up to step 1.

Agree with this. I didnt start UW till dedicated. Get your base with Kaplan/RX then nail in the nitty gritty with UW. Patent approved.

Okay cool. M2 here taking test in June. I have Kaplan and Rx. Should I start doing like 5-10 questions a day of previous learned material, or just do questions associated with the current organ system?

Okay cool. M2 here taking test in June. I have Kaplan and Rx. Should I start doing like 5-10 questions a day of previous learned material, or just do questions associated with the current organ system?

It’s definitely a good idea to consistently do practice questions in tandem with your learning in class and of past material. UW is good for maybe starting 2 months before dedicated and retiring the Kaplan/Rx. You’ll do fine, this is about building a strong foundation right now for you and you’re doing it right by just being mindful that what you’re learning can’t be cram/dump.

Please feel free to send a PM in the future as things get closer too, you’re going to do fine.

Idk. Personally, I don’t think doing any boards Q bank during the school year is beneficial. I know most people think that but that’s just my opinion.

I did some of RX with class but you forget details by the time it comes to board studying. I feel like it’s Bette to use other resources for questions (Pretest, Robbins Questions, etc) for actual class and learning the material the first time. Then, starting 4-5 months before the exam, work through Kaplan and RX, and then take 2 months to do UW. This way you aren’t doing board questions 9+ months out and forgetting most of what you learn from the banks.

Anyone wanna soothe my post-step anxiety by predicting my score(2 weeks left for result)?

16/7 UWSA1 232
31/7 NBME17 219
6/8 NBME16 225
15/8 NBME18 232
18/8 UWSA2 247
22/8 free120 79%
24/8 real deal
Goal: 225+ but had many many 50/50s on step. Aiming for IM, Swedish IMG
That's exactly how I felt most of the exam was 50/50, I would say a 70%.

Hello guys and good luck to all of you waiting for your results!

I had the exam 2 days ago and i'm feeling anxious about my real score.. especially after seeing some cases that UWSAs severely overpredicted the actual score! Anyone who wants to predict my score is more than welcome!

my stats:
1year preparation time on and off, last 4 months serious studying and 1.5 months dedicated studying period

UWORLD: 1st pass timed random 75% correct/

NBME 15: 25 mistakes- 87.5% 3 months out/

NBME 13: 24 mistakes- 88% 2.5 months out/

free 117: 20 mistakes- 83% 5 weeks out/

UWSA-1: 74% correct- 245 4 weeks out/

NBME-16: 21 mistakes- 89% 3 weeks out/

UWSA-2: 83.1% correct- 254 2 days out/

Hi guys, I just got my results. I passed with a 221, pretty low for an IMG. I want to do family medicine, do you think I still have a chance? Was aiming for a 230 but my exam had many biostats and anatomy questions, both are hard subjects to me, as if the test knew my weaknesses. Regards.

Hi guys, I just got my results. I passed with a 221, pretty low for an IMG. I want to do family medicine, do you think I still have a chance? Was aiming for a 230 but my exam had many biostats and anatomy questions, both are hard subjects to me, as if the test knew my weaknesses. Regards.
i think you have a pretty good chance at family medicine. I have a very good friend who matched into internal medicine with 222. Try harder on ck and pass CS once.

O a an IMG as well preparing to take the exam in November. What materials did you use and how long did you study for? thanks

Hello guys and good luck to all of you waiting for your results!

I had the exam 2 days ago and i'm feeling anxious about my real score.. especially after seeing some cases that UWSAs severely overpredicted the actual score! Anyone who wants to predict my score is more than welcome!

my stats:
1year preparation time on and off, last 4 months serious studying and 1.5 months dedicated studying period

UWORLD: 1st pass timed random 75% correct/

NBME 15: 25 mistakes- 87.5% 3 months out/

NBME 13: 24 mistakes- 88% 2.5 months out/

free 117: 20 mistakes- 83% 5 weeks out/

UWSA-1: 74% correct- 245 4 weeks out/

NBME-16: 21 mistakes- 89% 3 weeks out/

UWSA-2: 83.1% correct- 254 2 days out/
Hi in my experience it was the average between my NBME 18: 213 and UWSA2: 237, I think NBME 18 felt like the exam. If anyone haven't done the exam, it is very important that you do NBME 18, as an average student I tell you, nothing felt more real than this NBME. The UWSAs are more easy than the actual exam.

i think you have a pretty good chance at family medicine. I have a very good friend who matched into internal medicine with 222. Try harder on ck and pass CS once.

O a an IMG as well preparing to take the exam in November. What materials did you use and how long did you study for? thanks
Hi, well I did the Kaplan course, but I felt it was very rushed, I do not recommend it unless you have read all the material first. Since I wasn't learning anything, I decided to study at my own pace and read all the material and watched all the videos, they are pretty good if you do not have a good foundation, as it was my case. That took me 8 months, but worth it, I learned a lot. For some silly reason I decided to use only the Kaplan pathology notebook, that was a very stupid idea. Of all the Kaplan material only pathology sucks, my twin brother used pathoma and he got a better score, so it is obligatory that you use pathoma and learn all his videos, because this will be your pathology foundation. Then I proceeded to read first aid twice, at this point I was exhausted. It took me four months. Then did U World, the first 2/3 untimed but with random subjects, even if I got the question right I read all the question stem again and possible answers, this was the hardest part for me, I was already burned out, I was angry and desperate, because reading each question was a nightmare, I wasn't enjoying it anymore, like I did with Kaplan material. I felt many explanations of the answers were left incomplete so it frustrated me, you have no idea, I smashed my laptop many times jajajajajajajajajaja. I was doing pretty well my lowest score was a 68%, and finished it in the 80% range, and it was my first and only pass. Then did some premade flash cards from first aid, didn't finished them because it was a waste of time, and then I stupidly stop my study and watched the World Cup, yes I am Latin American, huge soccer fan. The following month I read for the third time the first aid, because I stopped studying. When I finished reading it I did my first UWSA1, got a 248, this was two weeks before the exam, then 1 week and a half before the exam I did most of the NBMEs and UWSA2. NBME13 228, NBME15 242, NBME 16 219, UWSA2 237, and one day before the exam I did NBME18 213, yes I went to the exam with that low score, I just wanted it to end. What I regret was not doing again the Uword because some questions were on the actual step 1, like three, that I got wrong. Not doing other question banks, not reading pathoma, not studying or reading through the NBMEs and UWSAs, I just did them because I hated Uworld, there was many similar questions on step 1, and taking a big break to watch the World Cup.

If you have mor questions about doing the exam and what to expect please ask them, as O said O am very grateful for this forum it helped me to lower my anxiety poststep1.

Congrats! Did you score within your practice score range?

Thank you! I believe I scored above it.
Online:
3 months out- NBME 19- 190
2 months out- NBME 18- 220
4 weeks out- Free 120- 78%
3 weeks out- NBME 15- ~35 incorrects
2 weeks out- NBME 17- ~30 incorrects

I just looked at the unofficial score equivalents of the offline NBME’s, which put me at around 220-225 on those. I didn’t focus too much on the predicted scores during the latter half of my prep because they were just discouraging me. What motivated me was that I was improving, i.e. less incorrects.

Hi everyone,

for those who received your scores today, could you please share when you took the exam? Thanks in advance!

I took my exam on 08/17, but didn't received my score today...Would I have a chance expecting my score next Wednesday?