***Official 2006 Step 1 Results Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AwesomeO-DO

robot voice]I am AwesomeO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may not be the first to take Step one in 2006, but I gotta be close, so I declare the 2006 Step 1 forum OPEN. It may lay dormant for some time, but some day the class of 2008 will thank me for getting things ready for them. Don't worry, I set the bar pretty low. How low you ask? well.... less than 240 and more than 182. All I care is that I don't have to take that damn test again. They say then next few are easier. We'll see........

Members don't see this ad.

cherrypie said:
Well said, I remember when I used to come to these type of forums last year and just watch people insult each other. I refuse to reply back to uofmmed250. I guess according to him or her, I am a liar, ugly, and just plain wrong. Either way, it does not bother me. I wish everyone the best of luck on this exam. Anyone can do well. Just work hard. good luck

CherryPie rocks!

:thumbup:

Thanks so much for your time and advice.

uofmmed250 said:
get a life you ass kisser. I am sure you've got an are such a pro at the hospital. How's that attending's crap smell?

still not addressing how wrong you are. Yes, I do have a childish mind, but I know I am right about this issue. You guys should read all our posts to understand how this all started. Also, my numbering was to mock cherrypie because she seemed to like to do that and such. [Maybe cherry pie is the count from seseame (sp?) street!]

Ps...cherry pie, eat my butt.

Wow. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
uofmmed250 said:
Ps...cherry pie, eat my butt.

no thanks, i'll pass.

And, seriously its getting old. Just give it up. what will it take for you to stop insulting people? you want me to admitt that I was wrong and you were right? well, fine I'm wrong, the whole world is wrong, and you are right. Get over it. Move on.

cherrypie said:
no thanks, i'll pass.

And, seriously its getting old. Just give it up. what will it take for you to stop insulting people? you want me to admitt that I was wrong and you were right? well, fine I'm wrong, the whole world is wrong, and you are right. Get over it. Move on.

Cherry, he's a troll. I'm sure he'll get banned soon.

And stop feeding the trolls!

cherry pie and kashue....why don't you guys exchange pics. have a dinner together. a nice white wine and some fish. candles. roses. discuss a bit of step 2 ck strategy. a nice evening together...

uofmmed250 said:
cherry pie and kashue....why don't you guys exchange pics. have a dinner together. a nice white wine and some fish. candles. roses. discuss a bit of step 2 ck strategy. a nice evening together...
This results thread deteriorated surprisingly early!!! Usually things are civil for the first 10 pages or so and then jealousy takes over and, well, I think it's pretty obvious, a la the above post.....

uofmmed250 said:

i sense some serious insecurity

For the ppl that scored >235 on step 1..are you guys just naturally good test takers?? or would you say its just pure hard work....(good test taker = awesome SAT, AP, MCAT, etc)...

exmike said:
Hey, whats up entering '04 buddy. good luck on the boards

haha exmike, I remember you. How's it at Case? Ever meet Juddson?

As you can tell, I didn't end up going to Case although there were tims I wish I did for the pass/fail ;). Went to my state school instead for the monetary reasons but having grades sucks!

Good luck to you too!

Kash

bigfrank said:
This results thread deteriorated surprisingly early!!! Usually things are civil for the first 10 pages or so and then jealousy takes over and, well, I think it's pretty obvious, a la the above post.....

Haha, and I haven't even take the boards yet!

For the ppl that scored >235 on step 1..are you guys just naturally good test takers?? or would you say its just pure hard work....(good test taker = awesome SAT, AP, MCAT, etc)...

Hard work for moi. I disregarded the importance of the MCAT and didn't do a whole lot of prep for it - for that effort, i ended up with a 30. But, I busted my ass 2nd year and was in complete social isolation to study for step 1 and it all paid off.

Anxiety can interfere I'm sure, but the questions aren't too much of an abberation from Q-bank or NBME that you should be freaked out by anything that is/could be asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
uofmmed250 said:
big frank, exactly how "big" are you?
:eek:

SDN is not a site for your homosexual propaganda. Please take it elsewhere, but I'm sure you already know where....

Thank you - :)

uofmmed250 said:
you know its funny, why does it make me jealous to argue with someone with a higher score than me. we aren't even arguing about scores... I can get any residency I want with my score. why is everything so simplistic in your world?
Here's the problem with you: You posted early in the thread that you got a 247, which is a fine score. It's not going to land you any residency spot you want without many other credentials (like a decent personality), but it is a fine score.

Then you started to read that others/many on SDN did far better than you and you got upset. You started calling anyone with a higher score than yours bogus and even questioned a scan of a score report. You even are quoted as asking another member to "eat my butt."

This is precisely why no one on here cares for your presence and you have been labeled by many people a "troll."

I sincerely hope this helps.

uofmmed250 said:
telling people to eat my butt is funny

I agree, but not when used in an insulting manner.

Either way, regardless of what I, you, or anyone else says on this forum.. It's all a matter of opinion. I am sure there are people who lie. But, not everyone does. Yes, I do find it odd that everyone on this forum is reporting scores greater than 250. But, if you look at previous forums for people who took step I last year, etc.. You still see the same kind of numbers. And, as far as your 247... If I ended up with this score, I would have been very happy. That is still an excellent score. So, the message that everyone should walk away with is that take everyone's advice with a grain of salt. I have always posted this in most of my messages that dealt with advice on step I.

don't you think that the 260 vs 250 could have been a typo? When scanning his score I'm pretty sure he would have realized that he would be "caught" in a lie with the conflicting scores.

There are plenty of people that could lie on this forum and you are ranting about them. However you fail to realize that many people could be thinking the same about you considering you have no history on SDN on your new account. You come out of the blue and throw out a 250ish type score and then criticize other's... that could sound very fishy to many people.

I however take things with a grain of salt and like others stated, I would just like to see NBME scores, Qbank %s and actual scores to be able to guage how I would do when taking the exam. Furthermore, if top scorers offer similar advice for how to prepare for the test, its worth looking at. Many people who have scored high are not here for the glory (no real glory in scoring really high on an exam and posting on SDN - you don't get a medal or a trophy) but rather are proud of their achievement and would like to offer advice to students so they too can perhaps benefit from their knowledge. I for one have read bigfrank's advice and cherrypies and many other's and am developing my own studying strategy using some of their advice. For that I am highly grateful. I think that matters more than making this thread into a pissing contest about who scores higher and whether the scores are 100% legit or not

SkylineMD said:
don't you think that the 260 vs 250 could have been a typo? When scanning his score I'm pretty sure he would have realized that he would be "caught" in a lie with the conflicting scores.

There are plenty of people that could lie on this forum and you are ranting about them. However you fail to realize that many people could be thinking the same about you considering you have no history on SDN on your new account. You come out of the blue and throw out a 250ish type score and then criticize other's... that could sound very fishy to many people.

I however take things with a grain of salt and like others stated, I would just like to see NBME scores, Qbank %s and actual scores to be able to guage how I would do when taking the exam. Furthermore, if top scorers offer similar advice for how to prepare for the test, its worth looking at. Many people who have scored high are not here for the glory (no real glory in scoring really high on an exam and posting on SDN - you don't get a medal or a trophy) but rather are proud of their achievement and would like to offer advice to students so they too can perhaps benefit from their knowledge. I for one have read bigfrank's advice and cherrypies and many other's and am developing my own studying strategy using some of their advice. For that I am highly grateful. I think that matters more than making this thread into a pissing contest about who scores higher and whether the scores are 100% legit or not
yall need to stop feeding this troll. He just needs attention....dont give it to him :mad:

Let me say this: BigFrank rocks. He has been exceedingly generous in offering advice to everyone, and his advice is dead-on. Because of him, I bought Robbins Q Book (just finished the whole thing) and HY Cell and Mol Bio (only read the first chapter but it's good), and I just scored a 680 (253) on NBME 2 today because of his advice. I take the "real thing" in about a month and if I do as well on that as I did on the NBME I will have to buy BigFrank a BigBeer. Thanks, buddy!

In addition to his advice, I learned of the famous Goljan from other people on here, and have listened to his lectures 2x and am almost through with his OUTSTANDING rapid review book.

Thanks to cherrypie too for your really in-depth study plan.

Without this forum, I wouldn't know of anything except maybe firstaid and qbank and I'd be scoring about 40 points lower....

I've learned so much from this website, so let's not let the negative people on here ruin it, whatever their misplaced motivation.

Here you go buddy, can't help that SDN has a 100 kb, 400x400 pixel max - but I'd be more than willing to e-mail you the real thing so you can put it up on your 'fridge and be proud of me.

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 700
nrosigh said:
Let me say this: BigFrank rocks. He has been exceedingly generous in offering advice to everyone, and his advice is dead-on. Because of him, I bought Robbins Q Book (just finished the whole thing) and HY Cell and Mol Bio (only read the first chapter but it's good), and I just scored a 680 (253) on NBME 2 today because of his advice. I take the "real thing" in about a month and if I do as well on that as I did on the NBME I will have to buy BigFrank a BigBeer. Thanks, buddy!
Wow, thank you for your kind words.

And, most importantly, get ready for a fabulous Step I score!

I don't think most people are lying. (Even if they are lying about the score they are giving excellent advice.)

The high scores are likely due to selection bias.(as has been said before) First, people intense/crazy enough to spend their free time looking through message boards on how to study for the USMLE are likely to be the one's putting in the long hours to improve their score. Second, people with good scores are more likely post them than people who are disappointed.

For me I found SDN incredible helpful and thought I owed it to others to return the favor. (I'm sure there was also a little bit of a narcissistic desire to share it with someone other than my SO since I won't be telling anyone at my medschool.)

bigfrank said:
Wow, thank you for your kind words.

And, most importantly, get ready for a fabulous Step I score!

did you just use the word fabulous?!!! I knew it.

Big frank, why are you not answering my phone calls?

why would I lie about such a low score (247)? okay guys, you busted me, I am trying to be helpful though. I was demonstrating the self defense mechanism called projection. Now you guys wont get that question wrong on step 1. YES!

WolfpackRed said:
Here you go buddy, can't help that SDN has a 100 kb, 400x400 pixel max - but I'd be more than willing to e-mail you the real thing so you can put it up on your 'fridge and be proud of me.
:laugh:

Getting this back on track..

NBME #1 - 238 (3 weeks before)
NBME #2 - 248 (a few days before)
Qbank - 69-70% when I finished
Step I - 243/98
Exam date: april 27th

I used kaplan lecture notes, FA, and BRS path. I only went through the kaplan notes once, but while I did that I scanned almost all the images and pasted them into the relevent subject in FA. I also annotated everything I thought was important or I would forget from kaplan. Alot of that random stuff in kaplan showed up on my exam. This took a really long time, but it made reviewing the important stuff from kaplan w/FA much easier the two weeks before the test. I also went through brs path about 4 times.
I didn't touch anything from Goljan, even though everyone at my school was going insane over him. I HATE lectures of any kind, and I just suffered through 2 years of attendence policy, so I couldn't bring myself to listen to him. I studied for 2 months without other classes.
I also wanted to say that I thought I might have failed that test when I walked out, so if you feel bad after taking it, try not to worry. Good luck to everyone.

astaley said:
Getting this back on track..

NBME #1 - 238 (3 weeks before)
NBME #2 - 248 (a few days before)
Qbank - 69-70% when I finished
Step I - 243/98
Exam date: april 27th

I used kaplan lecture notes, FA, and BRS path. I only went through the kaplan notes once, but while I did that I scanned almost all the images and pasted them into the relevent subject in FA. I also annotated everything I thought was important or I would forget from kaplan. Alot of that random stuff in kaplan showed up on my exam. This took a really long time, but it made reviewing the important stuff from kaplan w/FA much easier the two weeks before the test. I also went through brs path about 4 times.
I didn't touch anything from Goljan, even though everyone at my school was going insane over him. I HATE lectures of any kind, and I just suffered through 2 years of attendence policy, so I couldn't bring myself to listen to him. I studied for 2 months without other classes.
I also wanted to say that I thought I might have failed that test when I walked out, so if you feel bad after taking it, try not to worry. Good luck to everyone.

Excellent score. Congrats!

Just a quick question, I am confused as to why for uofmmed a 247=85percentile while for astaley a 243=98percentile?
Why would a 243 have a higher percentile?

It's important NOT to confuse the 2-digit score with a percentile, as many people do. The percentiles are NOT given, you have to figure them out. For 2006, I think the mean is 216 and the stdev is 24.

That would mean:
216 : mean
240 : + 1 STDEV (~84th percentile)
264 : + 2 STDEV (~96th percentile)

The 2-digit score means something totally different, I don't really know how to interpret it and think it's completely pointless. It contains much less resolution than the 3-digit score since the range of all passing scores are compressed into about 20-odd points.

GreenT said:
Just a quick question, I am confused as to why for uofmmed a 247=85percentile while for astaley a 243=98percentile?
Why would a 243 have a higher percentile?

nrosigh said:
It's important NOT to confuse the 2-digit score with a percentile, as many people do. The percentiles are NOT given, you have to figure them out. For 2006, I think the mean is 216 and the stdev is 24.

That would mean:
216 : mean
240 : + 1 STDEV (~84th percentile)
264 : + 2 STDEV (~96th percentile)

The 2-digit score means something totally different, I don't really know how to interpret it and think it's completely pointless. It contains much less resolution than the 3-digit score since the range of all passing scores are compressed into about 20-odd points.

thanks for that breakdown and clarification. may i ask how you know what the 2006 mean and stdev are already?

i just got my score today, and i don't wanna post a number b/c my classmates know who i am, but i will share this info: i took nbme practice test 1 3 weeks before the real thing and my score didn't go up that much even after all that studying. my overall q-bank % was about 72. my main study resources were first aid, q-bank, and my original lecture notes. my percentile, based on the above data, is pretty darn close to the percentiles i received for my pharm, path, and med micro shelf exams taken a month before the usmle. the advice i would offer is that even more than the mcat, you truly cannot cram for this exam - your score will be determined by how well you learned the material the first time.

mlw03 said:
thanks for that breakdown and clarification. may i ask how you know what the 2006 mean and stdev are already?

i just got my score today, and i don't wanna post a number b/c my classmates know who i am, but i will share this info: i took nbme practice test 1 3 weeks before the real thing and my score didn't go up that much even after all that studying. my overall q-bank % was about 72. my main study resources were first aid, q-bank, and my original lecture notes. my percentile, based on the above data, is pretty darn close to the percentiles i received for my pharm, path, and med micro shelf exams taken a month before the usmle. the advice i would offer is that even more than the mcat, you truly cannot cram for this exam - your score will be determined by how well you learned the material the first time.

i don't mean to sound rude, but do you think the fact that you used your original lecture notes had anything to do with your score not increasing? i know most basic science classes in medical school are not high yield like goljan, first aid, etc.

plus, if your score was high to begin with, then you didn't have much room to work with in the first place to improve.

woowoo said:
i don't mean to sound rude, but do you think the fact that you used your original lecture notes had anything to do with your score not increasing? i know most basic science classes in medical school are not high yield like goljan, first aid, etc.

plus, if your score was high to begin with, then you didn't have much room to work with in the first place to improve.

i think this poster makes a legit point about using the original lecture notes, however i don't really regret my choices. i hate studying just to answer test questions and made a choice not to do it for usmle step 1. i felt that using first aid to hit some of those high yield facts would be enough. i felt my time would be better spent being very solid on what i did know rather than trying to fill my head with more facts/details that i knew i'd forget anyway, and for this i felt my original lecture notes and powerpoint files would be the best resource.

not sure what your definition of 'high to being with is', however if you care to discuss this topic further via PM i'd be glad to.

AwesomeO-DO said:
Prep:
3300 Q bank questions in 28 days..... i thought that was a bit much but I did it anyways
had gone through a 6 month kaplan course 10 months prior for the COMLEX Level 1 in June of 05. and prepared my FA book during that prep, so all I did before the USMLE was reread my FA over and over and do Q-bank a few months before the test
I was only looking for a passing score, so if you are a gunner you probably don't want to take it as easy as I did.
As for my experience, I thought the test was easy, only 350 questions, I was use to doing 400 Q-bank questions practice tests. I got done in under 6 hours. The difficulty of the exam was not very hard. I thought there were questions any idiot could get right. and then there were questions I thought no one could have even guessed at since there were A-K options. My theme i feel was Heart disease, lots of MI Q's, HTN, and CHF.

where can you get a paper version of qbank

So here is a random question. How long does it take for your score to arrive in the mail after it is marked as being reported on the NBME website? I dying to know my score and I can't take it anymore!!!! :eek:

uclalee said:
So here is a random question. How long does it take for your score to arrive in the mail after it is marked as being reported on the NBME website? I dying to know my score and I can't take it anymore!!!! :eek:

mine was reported on wednesday night/thursday morning and my score came on saturday.

just curious if anyone who got their score from their Student Affairs department this past Wednesday (5/24) received their paper version in the snail mail today (5/27, Sat). I'd kind hoped it would be in the mail, and with the long weekend I won't get it till Tuesday now.

mlw03 said:
just curious if anyone who got their score from their Student Affairs department this past Wednesday (5/24) received their paper version in the snail mail today (5/27, Sat). I'd kind hoped it would be in the mail, and with the long weekend I won't get it till Tuesday now.

I didn't get mine, and I know for a fact that the mail already came today. Except my poor excuse for a school refuses to give out the scores through the SA office, so I'm still completely in the dark. This is killing me.

PianoGirl04 said:
I didn't get mine, and I know for a fact that the mail already came today. Except my poor excuse for a school refuses to give out the scores through the SA office, so I'm still completely in the dark. This is killing me.

Geez Pianogirl, It sounds like you go to a pretty crappy school. It sounds like the kind of place that initiates mandatory research projects without telling the incoming first years about it before they already agree to go there. Must be all the cloudy days that made the people so bitter in the SA office. :laugh:

HI everyone..I'm new to the whole SDN...just a question to those of you who have already taken step 1: anyone use Goljan? Did you find his tapes, notes, and/or high yield helpful (or not). Is his stuff on point or just a waste of time? Just curious..... :(

enigma1026 said:
HI everyone..I'm new to the whole SDN...just a question to those of you who have already taken step 1: anyone use Goljan? Did you find his tapes, notes, and/or high yield helpful (or not). Is his stuff on point or just a waste of time? Just curious..... :(

I've heard some of his audio. It's awesome. Everything makes more sense to me now. but maybe for you it's different. i don't think our school did a great job of teachign anything.

enigma1026 said:

I listened to the entire audio of Goljan before taking the test. I thought the tapes were pretty good for integrated a wide range of concepts (not just pathology).... something my school did not do. BUT at the same time, 37 hours is a long time and it's hard to remember everything Goljan says is "big boards" because he says that every minute. Try listenining to a few hours and see if its worth listening to the rest.