***Official 2006 Step 1 Results Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AwesomeO-DO

robot voice]I am AwesomeO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may not be the first to take Step one in 2006, but I gotta be close, so I declare the 2006 Step 1 forum OPEN. It may lay dormant for some time, but some day the class of 2008 will thank me for getting things ready for them. Don't worry, I set the bar pretty low. How low you ask? well.... less than 240 and more than 182. All I care is that I don't have to take that damn test again. They say then next few are easier. We'll see........

Members don't see this ad.

Pinner Doc said:
I thought I heard "on the street" that the NBME doesn't provide full explanations to their answers. Can anyone confirm this?

(Or were you referring to looking up answers in one's own notes?)

your right, no explanations. You can look up the answers if you want but i think its just a waste of time. You may see the same questions on your exam however, it maybe worded a bit differently.

YouDontKnowJack said:
Old West kicked ass! and starting with a 207 too.
That's more encouraging than cherrypie's score, cuz cherrypie kicked ass from the get go, and doesn't represent the majority of us.
83% on qbank is way over what most people get.

Your right but I promise you I struggled alot my first year. Ended my second year with a 4.0, and did really well on step 1. So, the moral of the story is that anyone can do well. Just study really hard. You dont have to study for 12hrs a day, but study smart and use your time efficiently. good luck.

cherrypie said:
Your right but I promise you I struggled alot my first year. Ended my second year with a 4.0, and did really well on step 1. So, the moral of the story is that anyone can do well. Just study really hard. You dont have to study for 12hrs a day, but study smart and use your time efficiently. good luck.

CherryPie, IM'ed you.

Members don't see this ad :)
JBlue said:
Congradulations Cherry Pie! That is an incredible score. How far apart did you space your NBME tests? Also, did you use them as study tools (i.e. look up answers as you took the exam) or just as evaluations?

I cant really remember exactly. But I took the first one about 1.5- 2 weeks into my studying. The second one I took after one more week of studying. And, the third was maybe a week before my exam (april 15th) and the final one I took about 2 days before the real deal. I did not bother to look up answers I used them mainly to assess how I was doing and then I looked at what they listed as my weak areas and compared it w/ Kaplan's and just modified from there on. You will get some of the questions on those exams but they change the wording or the question. Try to understand the concept. It does suck that you dont get an explanations or you cant see what you missed. Also, there was not much "studying" as far as reading goes. I did tons of questions and read over the topics Ithat I felt weak in. And, reviewed the really high yield topics (endo, behav, CV, renal) pretty well. hope this helps.

cherrypie said:
My scores came in today. I am not going to give specifics because many people i know from school are always on these forums. However, I am very happy and surprised.

Kaplan Qbank 1x through: 83%
Free NBME 150 questions: 87%
NBME form 1 >238
NBME form 2> 242
NBME form 3 >254
NBME form 4 =257

Actual step 1 score >260!!!!! :eek:

Bust your a$$es studying and it will pay off!
good luck to all.

Congradulations!!! You are amazing!!!
Do you mind to share some of your experience? How you studied and what topics/materials are high yield? Thanks.

cherrypie said:
My scores came in today. I am not going to give specifics because many people i know from school are always on these forums. However, I am very happy and surprised.

NBME form 1 >238
NBME form 2> 242
NBME form 3 >254
NBME form 4 =257

good luck to all.

You rock! Strong work.

cherrypie said:
I cant really remember exactly. But I took the first one about 1.5- 2 weeks into my studying. The second one I took after one more week of studying. And, the third was maybe a week before my exam (april 15th) and the final one I took about 2 days before the real deal. I did not bother to look up answers I used them mainly to assess how I was doing and then I looked at what they listed as my weak areas and compared it w/ Kaplan's and just modified from there on. You will get some of the questions on those exams but they change the wording or the question. Try to understand the concept. It does suck that you dont get an explanations or you cant see what you missed. Also, there was not much "studying" as far as reading goes. I did tons of questions and read over the topics Ithat I felt weak in. And, reviewed the really high yield topics (endo, behav, CV, renal) pretty well. hope this helps.
I learn by doing practice Q's as well. It sounds like you did little to no prereading and just did Q's. I was going to do FA, then Q's, then read up in BRS-type books where I'm weak. Who knows?

thackl said:
I learn by doing practice Q's as well. It sounds like you did little to no prereading and just did Q's. I was going to do FA, then Q's, then read up in BRS-type books where I'm weak. Who knows?

Only read up on weak topics or things you have forgotten that are high yield for the exam. For example, if you forgot some things about biochem then it would be a good idea to review some facts. However, dont spend all of your time reading. You will not remember it all. Do try to read through really high yield topics (endo, cell/molecular, genetics, CV, just to mention a few).

For very random rote memorization things like embryo, pharm, etc.. I would read a little everyday instead of trying to read these topics all at once.

lealf-ye said:
Do you mind to share some of your experience? How you studied and what topics/materials are high yield? Thanks.

okay here is my advice it is long, but just take it with a grain of salt. You need to compliment your learning style with other peoples stratergies and see what works for you.
If you know what kind of a learner you are then that = success.

Numero uno: If a book is not working for you toss it.
2) Keep your resources to a miniumum.
3) Use First Aid as your guide on "what to focus." However, do not totally rely on first aid. Also, you need to try to understand "why" and "how" the facts and concepts in FA are tied together.
4) Do as many questions as you can. Do lots and lots and lots and lots... get the point?
5) if you have any weak areas attack those first.
6) Books I thought were great and why:
a) FA, lists the most pertinent info, but not everything that you will see on boards.
b) HY embryo, dont go through the entire book but pick the very high yield topics (again use FA as a guide) but also add things like molecular genetics stuff in embryo ( I believe the last few chapters in High yield embryo, and they are really short).
c) HY anatomy, again only look at pics in this book. I would not look at every pic but I would definately look at the lung CTs, spine CTs, and GI stuff. Its really a good book. As far as anatomy on the boards, know brachial plexus very well, and GI anatomy very well. If you have time look at other stuff but not do not waste too much time on this topic.
d) I really like Kaplan's Biochem book. However, realize that if you are short on time it might be overkill. If you still got weeks to go then read (in order of importance) the cell and molecular stuff, then read metabolism, and then read the last few chapters. Again, if you are short on time only read the cell and molecular chapters and YOU MUST READ HY CELL and MOLECULAR (this was the only book I read cover to cover). IF you are short on time then you must absolutely read his chapter on signal transduction. YOu will see LOTS of questions about this.

e) Pathology: In my opinion, the most important subject tested. Listen to Goljan. Dont pay to much attention to what he said was asked on boards. Pay ATTENTION to the concepts he is teaching. If you understand the concepts he talks about you can handle just about any path question.
f) know your CV phys pretty well as well as Renal. Again, understanding is key here not just memorization. And, get comfortable with using formulas and being able to convert units. They will throw hypothetical situations at you. Dont let it intimidate you just think through the question.
g) Now, the final and MOST IMPORTANT thing you must know: WHAT QUESTIONS SHOULD YOU ABSOLUTELY GO THROUGH
1) all of qbank
2)try some of the NMS questions out of there step I book
3) Step I kaplan QBook (this is really an excellent set of questions) many people neglect it because they think qbank is better. However, these questions are alot harder than qbank.
4) WEBPATH!!!!!!! questions. You can google webpath and look at these questions. They were very similar to the board path quesitons I saw. He is one of the authors of the Robbins Question book (which is also good, but stick with webpath).
5) if you have a weak area in path (for me it was female reproductive) I would look at the pics he has and read the little explanations and do all the questions. Again, you dont have to do this for every organ system but definately do this for the ones you are really weak in.
6) usmleasy questions (www.usmleasy.com) you gotta pay, BUT, these are the same as pretest books. So, if you dont want to fork over money go to the library and check out some pretest books. They were harder than the real thing but very good set of questions.
7) OOps I forgot to mention one more book. You need to read high yield biostats. Again, dont read everything. Use FA as your guide. I got alot of statistics questions on my board exam and if it were not for this book I gurantee you my score would not have been as high. If you have time really read this book. As far as behavioral sciences you got two options and only pick one do not try to do both. You can go with Kaplan OR high yield. If you dont want to read the kaplan book then at least do some of the questions in the book.

8) You must know endocrine really well. This is the most highly tested topic. Do as many questions you can in this area. Know how this system works you can easily boost your score.
9) know your genetics. Dont get intimidated if they present you with a situation you never heard of (trust me you will see this alot on your test) however, pay attention to what the question is asking you. Its always the most basic concepts that "seem" like the most difficult quesitons. They do such a good job of hiding the concept. So HUNT FOR IT in the question. And, practice doing this with any question you do.
10) know enzymy kinetics. If they present you with an enzyme that is 20 letters long and you never heard of it. Well, who cares? YOU KNOW its an enzyme and just use your basic understanding of how enzymes work. And, this can really be applied to almost any situation. For example, if you get a drug you have never heard of pay special attention to the profile of the drug they describe and think about what drugs you know act like this "new" drug. The answer will jump at you.
11) Know the immuno system well. Read the first few chapters of Levinson and Jawitz micro review. If you are particularly strong then dont read it.
12) pretest physical diagnosis is also and excellent question book. If you are short on time do the CV and resp questions. If you can go through the other systems. Pay attention to the physical exam (goljan is saying the truth when he said in his audio that if you understand the physical exam you can get lots of questions correct)

I go on, and on, and on....

Summary of my high yeild points:

STAY focused on your studying. Dont overload yourself with too many books. Dont read and reread everything. Prove to yourself that you know the material ( by doing quesitons).

Always do questions random, even if you have not studied a particular topic. Just keep doing them, you will actually learn the concepts by doing the questions.

Do not get intimidated or worried during the test, just do your best and move on to the next question if you cant figure out a question. And, dont tell yourself that you will comeback to the quesiton. You will not have time. Just pretend as if you were not going to see that question again. If you are spending more than 3 minutes on a questin you will miss other very easy questions. I just made it an habit not to go over 2 minutes if I was stuck on a question. When my 2 minutes were up, I just moved on. If, I had time then I went back.

Push yourself and do difficult questions.

Know the endocrine system like the back of your hand. You will see this on your exam. I dont care who you are or what form of a test you get. Some people get lots of cardio, others renal, others biochem. But, you can bet you everyone will see this system. So, if this is your weak point. You need to fix it quickly.

Take your time during the test. Some blocks will be easy but becareful because its usually the easy ones that people miss simply because they did not read clearly.

Take breaks in between blocks and eat something.

If your block starts out tough, just suck it up and move through it. Dont get all pissed and agitated. Just answer questions w/o any type of emotional reaction. Your bascially a computer machine that will just spit out answers.

**** Very IMPORTANT Do the NBME exams, in my opinion they are well worth your money. Spread them out during your studying and begin doing them. They look alot like the real thing. I took the last one 2 days before the really thing and it really boosted my confidence (however, if your score goes down, dont let this ruin your confidence just do your best).

Again, questions, questions, questions, constantly do these and build your endurance. By the time I got close to my test date I was able to do at least 425 questions in the same amount of time we are allowed on the real exam. What was the advantage to doing this? The exam did not wear me out . I was able to remain focused for every block and therefore make good answer choices. If you dont build endurance, I dont care how smart you are, the test will wear you out. So push yourself to go the extra mile.

Also, aim high,dont give yourself the excuse that you dont want to go into anything competitive and therefore you dont want a good score. Give yourself a chance to do well. Anyone can do well on this test if you work hard. If your really super smart, then yes it does help but if you are not supersmart this does not mean that you cannot do well. Trust me, I am not the most intellecutal person but I am a hard worker.

Last, but not least. Many people take the day before the exam off. Which is not a bad idea. However, I did questions everyday even the day before my exam. Granted, I did not do many questions but I still did quite a few. And, I think this is what really helped me the most. Some people read through FA the last two days, again this is not a bad idea. But, reading FA is so passive. Doing questions is very active and therefore you are more likely to retain info in your head.

After going through this test I can honestly tell you that doing well your second year and first year of medschool are the best gurantee that you will do well. However, dont get discouraged if you have not done well. Just keep your spirits high and work really hard.

I hope this helps. Good luck and feel free to aks anymore quesitons. Sorry this is so long but just trying to give you a honest idea of what you must at least be able to accomplish.

Reactions: 1 user
cherrypie said:
For very random rote memorization things like embryo, pharm, etc.. I would read a little everyday instead of trying to read these topics all at once.

i was actually thinking of doing pharm and infectious diseases right before the test, because they are rote memorization. i figured if i do them any earlier, i may forget them!

cherrypie said:

NBME form 1 >238
NBME form 2> 242
NBME form 3 >254
NBME form 4 =257

good luck to all.
well done cherrypie!!! congrats!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
cherrypie said:
I hope this helps. Good luck and feel free to aks anymore quesitons. Sorry this is so long but just trying to give you a honest idea of what you must at least be able to accomplish.

This is extremely helpful!!! Thanks.

Cherry Pie,
about how many questions did ya do in total? 3000? 4000?

cherry pie, congrats!

any advice on how to prepare for microbiology and neuroanatomy and how these particular subjects were represented on your exam?

thanks!

Psychopathology said:
cherry pie, congrats!

any advice on how to prepare for microbiology and neuroanatomy and how these particular subjects were represented on your exam?

thanks!

Micro: To tell you the truth, this is one area I did not "read" up on very much. I did review the basic things about micro. We had a very good course at our school, and I supplemented my coursework with the micro cards made by lippincotts. So, I felt pretty good about this subject. You will see lots of bug questions. Know the big major bugs + viruses (staph, strep, pseudomoas, etc..) very well and their treatments. However, dont focus too much on what Ab is used to treat a bug, unless its classic like Pen for Syphillis. Pretest micro questions were good (just like the questions on usmleasy website). Kaplan Q book for step I had a very good micro/immuno section. I honestly thought that the kaplan qbook was harder than qbank. Pay attention to the bugs Dr. Goljan mentions in his audio.
If you want more of a challenge as far as micro goes, get a kaplan step 2 book and look at the peds or infectious disease section. Dont pay attention to questions that tell you what is the next best step. But, definately look at the questions that ask you what is the most likely diagnosis. In addition, kaplan step 2 qbook in the peds section it does a pretty good job with congential deformities. However, dont neglect question sources for step I like qbank, NMS, etc.. They are all very good questions.

Neuroanatomy: had quite a bit of this and it was a mix of everything. you definately will get CN questions so know those well, and visual pathway. Also presentation of strokes and whas area of brain is affected based on si/sx. Another biggie is the bloodsupply to the brain and brainstem. focus on the major vessels, areas they supply and what possible si/sx a patient can present with and be able to identify them. The brainstem in cross section is importan to know. Again, we had a very good neuro course so this was another topic I felt was not too bad.

In addition, as far as embryo is concerned. The neuroembryology is pretty important. Use High yield embryo as your outside resource. Dont go to a textbook. Also w/ the high yield series written by Dr. Dudek, pay attention to what he has in bold. He does for a very good reason. Good luck.

260/99 :)
Test: 4/18 (Scores 5/15)

Studied 4 weeks:
- Goljan - listened to all the lectures with the handouts + all the HY + questions
- First Aid 2006
- Cell Biology + Histology grid book
- Phys grid book
- Professor handouts for Anatomy + Neuro
- My flashcards for Micro + Pharm

Awesome!

WolfpackRed said:
260/99 :)
Test: 4/18 (Scores 5/15)

Studied 4 weeks:
- Goljan - listened to all the lectures with the handouts + all the HY + questions
- First Aid 2006
- Cell Biology + Histology grid book
- Phys grid book
- Professor handouts for Anatomy + Neuro
- My flashcards for Micro + Pharm

(nicedream) said:
Out of curiosity, how did you do on COMLEX when you took that? How would you compare them?
COMLEX was two day on paper, and took the entire time, the most draining experience ever, USMLE was a 6 hour cake walk. How do you compare the two?

cherrypie said:
okay here is my advice it is long, but just take it with a grain of salt. You need to compliment your learning style with other peoples stratergies and see what works for you.

Hi cherrypie & everyone else,

Firstly, CONGRATS on a getting a great score!!! Thanks for your advice!!!

Secondly, does anyone have any methods of learning Pharm that they would like to share. Is studying Pharm off of First Aid enough (I have the 2004 FA)? Or should I use other resources? Would Kaplan 2005 + FA 2004 be enough?

Thirdly, I've been getting mixed reviews about USMLEasy.com. I did a few sample Q's, & they seemed pretty hard. I'm debating whether to get it or not. Does anyone else have any advice?

Thanks!!!!

snz12x said:
Secondly, does anyone have any methods of learning Pharm that they would like to share. Is studying Pharm off of First Aid enough (I have the 2004 FA)? Or should I use other resources? Would Kaplan 2005 + FA 2004 be enough?

Hey snz, I haven't taken the exam yet, but along with FA and flashcards, I'm using Pharm Recall, and I think it's a great book. Question-answer format like all the Recall series, really good for solidifying what you've learned. You can find it used on Amazon for 20 bucks.

(nicedream) said:
Hey snz, I haven't taken the exam yet, but along with FA and flashcards, I'm using Pharm Recall, and I think it's a great book. Question-answer format like all the Recall series, really good for solidifying what you've learned. You can find it used on Amazon for 20 bucks.

Thanks nicedream, I'll check that out.

I just got my score today. I took the test in late April 2006.

nbme 1 243 (1 week before)
nbme 4 247 (1 day before)

My step 1 score 247.

I saw some other guy use this quote and I loved it!

"Kicking ass and taking names-Bhushan, Le, Ozturk, Chandwani"

uofmmed250 said:
No one is freaking doing what they are supposed to!!!

Qbank 58% (nonrandom)
Free practice test 50% (probably)
nbme 1 243
nbme 4 247

My step 1 score 247.

I would like to address something that I see on this site. Its either this site does not represent most medical students or people lie. How is it that everyone is getting a 260 this test? That's more than two std deviations away from the average. Its like the 99th percentile. Where the hell are all the people who get a 215? You guys must be full of ****.

I wonder about this myself. If you look at last year's results thread there is almost no one below 240.

A) people are lying
B) only the people who are scoring well are posting

You asked where the people getting 215s are. Those people are AVERAGE. What about the people getting 200s? :confused:

I think the main thing is just to realize that people who get 2 effing 60 on Step1 are EXTREME outliers. 230 is a very good score, 240 is a great score. 250 plus is something you're not going to hit without a great natural intellect plus a sh1t-ton of hard work.

Nothing against you extreme outliers though, I just hope that
a) I do as well or
b) you all want to go into some other field than me.

I think that many of the people on this board tend to be those that are always scoring high, either in classes or on tests like the boards. I'm really not sure why. Maybe it's because the type of person that is obsessed enough to constantly scour this message board looking for ways to ace Step 1 is the same type of person that will use those OCD traits and put them to good use to study their ass off for the test.
Also, all medical students have some degree of competitiveness. When I see a bunch of people scoring 240-260, don't think for a minute I don't think to myself that I know I'm a pretty smart guy and I should be able to do that if they can..... I call it motivation. Trust me. I am not a gunner, but I do want to do my best.

Personally, I really like hearing people's Step 1 scores along with some stats like the Qbank percentages and other scores. It helps me gauge where I am and what I might expect based on their performance. A few months ago I was thinking that 225-230 would be what I might be able to get, but now based on what I know about the experience of others, I really don't think that upper 240s+ is out of reach for me at all. (Sorry, I will hopefully be yet another person to post a non-average score on this board in a few weeks if all goes as planned)

I do agree that people should add a disclaimer to their Qbank score saying how they arrived at that score. I think it's most valid if it's based on all-random timed blocks of 50, but that's just me.

I just got my results yesterday:

Step 1: 259

For those of you who are preparing for this exam: it's really about hard work more than anything else. You don't have to be a genius to do well. Don't spread yourself thin--pick a few resources and know them cold. I used BRS Path, BRS Phys, High Yield Cell & Molecular Bio and First Aid. There is a lot of molecular bio on the real exam so spend some time on this subject.

QBank is pretty much worthless. The questions test ridiculous minutiae that will never show up on the real exam, which is mostly composed of 2nd and 3rd order questions (i.e., you have to take multiple cognitive steps to arrive at the correct answer). If you feel like you need practice, take the NBME paid practice tests 2 & 3. These tests are much closer to the real thing than QBank.

Good luck everyone. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, although the length of the exam makes it pretty challenging (at one point I was just about hallucinating from fatigue).

Surgeonizer said:

For those of you who are preparing for this exam: it's really about hard work more than anything else. You don't have to be a genius to do well. Don't spread yourself thin--pick a few resources and know them cold. I used BRS Path, BRS Phys, High Yield Cell & Molecular Bio and First Aid. There is a lot of molecular bio on the real exam so spend some time on this subject.

QBank is pretty much worthless. The questions test ridiculous minutiae that will never show up on the real exam, which is mostly composed of 2nd and 3rd order questions (i.e., you have to take multiple cognitive steps to arrive at the correct answer). If you feel like you need practice, take the NBME paid practice tests 2 & 3. These tests are much closer to the real thing than QBank.

Good luck everyone. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, although the length of the exam makes it pretty challenging (at one point I was just about hallucinating from fatigue).

congrats.

what resource did you use for molecular bio? i went through HY cell and molecular bio, but i still feel like i'm pretty weak.

Hey Pinner Doc,

I just used First Aid and HY Cell & Molecular Bio for the test. If you're still feeling weak in this area, you might consider reviewing your first year notes on molecular bio. That would be more than adequate.

Good luck.

daact said:
How early did you start doing questions?

Thanks

Sorry to reply so late, I always do questions even for course work. But, as far as step I: I began doing some questions around early march before our midterm but then this got to be too overwhelming with course work. However, 1 month before my exam I started to do tons of questions, and reading. The more I read the more unproductive I felt. So, I only read things I knew I sucked in. Also, I did not read throught every single explanation, this took to long. I only read explanations to questions I felt I needed to read and understand why I missed them. Everything else was questions. I did lots of questions until test day. Honestly, I lost count but it was alot. good luck.

uofmmed250 said:

My step 1 score 247.

I would like to address something that I see on this site. Its either this site does not represent most medical students or people lie. How is it that everyone is getting a 260 this test? That's more than two std deviations away from the average. Its like the 99th percentile. Where the hell are all the people who get a 215? You guys must be full of ****.

Congrats on a good score. I really dont see a reason to lie, since most of us really dont know each other. But, I'm sure there are people who do it. Regardless, they can get away with it on the forum but not when they face residency directors. Whether its the "gunner mentality" or "good hard work and motiviation" that gets people the score they want.. then by all means do whatever it is you have to do to get you that damn number. And, who does not want a good score? Everyone would like a good score whether they were planning to go into something competitive or not. Good luck to all.

Well I don't disagree with you at all, 2 years ago it seemed like people only got into Hopkins or Havard and I'm sure the same goes with the board scores. But as scores increase, the more likely someone is going to share.

My NBME + final Q-bank (not the overall) matched my actual board score via www.medfriends.org - so I recommend that to those that are curious.

But I got what I got and I don't post here that often, so no reason to say I got a 260 for ****s n' giggles to try and wow everyone

uofmmed250 said:
Looks like it says you scored a 250.

That proves nothing. It can be fake. I'm not saying it is, but it could be. Who cares anyways. It just sucks to see people lying, because others use your NBME scores to estimate what they will get. I know I sure as hell did.

I read a study - the most accurate representation of your score will be your nbme paid if it is standard and not selfpaced.

I paid ten bucks for a ****ty study that confirmed that. The correlation was not published even!!! I think it was like a r= .6 though so your score can be 10 points off either way. don't quote me, I am no authority

I dont think people use "others" NBME scores to predict what they will end up getting. But, the NBME paid exams are the best correlates with how well you will do. Its not the only thing that will predict your score, but it is the best thing out there for now. Sorry to sound harsh, but if you "feel" others scores are fake, well the feeling is mutual. Everybody knows step 1 is hard. And, people who do score well should be very proud but NOT arrogant about it. For all those who still have yet to take it, just work really hard and put in good effort. Anyone that scores 250 or above "may be" just a bit smarter than the average med student but I gurantee they also worked hard for that score.

QUOTE=Dunce]I think that many of the people on this board tend to be those that are always scoring high, either in classes or on tests like the boards. I'm really not sure why. Maybe it's because the type of person that is obsessed enough to constantly scour this message board looking for ways to ace Step 1 is the same type of person that will use those OCD traits and put them to good use to study their ass off for the test.
Also, all medical students have some degree of competitiveness. When I see a bunch of people scoring 240-260, don't think for a minute I don't think to myself that I know I'm a pretty smart guy and I should be able to do that if they can..... I call it motivation. Trust me. I am not a gunner, but I do want to do my best.

Personally, I really like hearing people's Step 1 scores along with some stats like the Qbank percentages and other scores. It helps me gauge where I am and what I might expect based on their performance. A few months ago I was thinking that 225-230 would be what I might be able to get, but now based on what I know about the experience of others, I really don't think that upper 240s+ is out of reach for me at all. (Sorry, I will hopefully be yet another person to post a non-average score on this board in a few weeks if all goes as planned)

I do agree that people should add a disclaimer to their Qbank score saying how they arrived at that score. I think it's most valid if it's based on all-random timed blocks of 50, but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the interruption, but by the way Dunce, .....The confederacy of Dunces was a great book.

uofmmed250 said:

My step 1 score 247. QUOTE]

That's a great score.....congrats!!!! :thumbup:

Surgeonizer said:

Another great score....congrats!!!! :thumbup:

uofmmed250 said:
of course people use our nbme scores and then our real scores to see where they stand. why do you think we post this crap? to have a mutual "congrats" circle jerk? you are so full of yourself mrs 270 step 1. an authority on everything? I know close to 50 people at 4 different med schools that do just that. everyone wants to know how they will do...why do you think they offer the test with no answers/exp? so people can know where they stand!!

I promised myself when I was studying that I would leave accurate info to help people out. I am just pissed when I see these fables like the magical climbing score

"nbme 1....220, nbme 2....234,nbme 3....245, nbme 4.....250....

.the Real deal! 289!!!!!!!
:eek: "

I hate smilies!
sorry about my grammar, I visit this site on a pda

Number 1: I am not an authority on everything. I have no idea where you got this from. I just try to offer honest advice.
Number 2: I scored greater than 260 but not a 270
Number 3: you're just pissed because you must have been shooting for a 260 but just wasnt quite good enough. :D

uofmmed250 said:
I was shooting to just pass actually. You aren't admitting that you are wrong plain and simple.

People like to check the nbme scores and then the real score of people to see that it is an accurate reflection of their future score.

Let me do my numbering thing:
1. You are ugly. I am sure of it.
2. You are ugly.
3. I don't care if you scored better than me. You're ugly. :eek:

PS, its friday, and I am getting wasted.

We need to kick kids off SDN...give em a curfew or something cus this type of stuff gets old.
If u have an opinion..lets hear it. Stop all this personal attacks crap. Nothing sucks like opening a thread and reading the posts of people with expereinces that will help others...then stumble on ---"Let me do my numbering thing"---thats weak and childish dude.
Use the private message thing for crap like that ...dont waste our time.
IF U GAT A STORY THAT SHOWS HARDWORK PAYS OFF....289/100...SHARE IT!! WHO CARES IF ITS A FAIRY TALE!

Hi all,

So.
I am not a genius.
I am not going to find the cure for cancer.
I am not going to tell you my score.

I will tell you that I am happy with my overall result and suggest the following: (took exam on 4/22; results 5/19)

1) Relax.
2) What you put in is a reflection of what you get out of the exam.
3) As for studying for the exam (my personal strategy)
a) stick to a few resources
FIRST AID - espically two weeks before exam
BRS Pathology - good resource to learn about disease
BRS Phys - Gets to the information that is really important
BRS Pharm Cards - Nice and abridged for study
High Yield Biochem
High Yield Behavioral Science
High Yield Neuroanatomy
BRS Microbiology
4) There is some incredible selection bias in this forum. I would suggest not visiting this before you take the boards. I will only make you hope certain individuals are not thinking about the same specialty/area as you!
5) Have a reward planned for yourself after you take the exam. Taking the USMLE STEP I is a huge accomplishment in itself!!!!

Good luck all. :thumbup:

TIMMY said:
We need to kick kids off SDN...give em a curfew or something cus this type of stuff gets old.
If u have an opinion..lets hear it. Stop all this personal attacks crap. Nothing sucks like opening a thread and reading the posts of people with expereinces that will help others...then stumble on ---"Let me do my numbering thing"---thats weak and childish dude.
Use the private message thing for crap like that ...dont waste our time.
IF U GAT A STORY THAT SHOWS HARDWORK PAYS OFF....289/100...SHARE IT!! WHO CARES IF ITS A FAIRY TALE!

Well said, I remember when I used to come to these type of forums last year and just watch people insult each other. I refuse to reply back to uofmmed250. I guess according to him or her, I am a liar, ugly, and just plain wrong. Either way, it does not bother me. I wish everyone the best of luck on this exam. Anyone can do well. Just work hard. good luck

Reactions: 1 user
cherrypie said:
Well said, I remember when I used to come to these type of forums last year and just watch people insult each other. I refuse to reply back to uofmmed250. I guess according to him or her, I am a liar, ugly, and just plain wrong. Either way, it does not bother me. I wish everyone the best of luck on this exam. Anyone can do well. Just work hard. good luck

Yes, just disregard those comments. Of course you're not what he insults as, & congrats again for your great score!!