NYU Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
minnie2240 said:
Quick question for those of you who got accepted in Jan/Feb....Have you already received your housing & medical forms? I just got accepted a couple weeks ago but I'm going away to Europe soon and wanted to see if these forms have been sent out yet and whether or not I should expect them. Thanks so much!!

We received housing forms in which we stated our housing preferences and sent a whopping $400 deposit.. no housing assignments yet though.. and no medical forms either, but we got our financial aid awards. That's awesome that you're going to Europe! I'd check out some soccer games in Germany if I were you :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was wondering that too...i e-mailed the admissions office and i never heard back. That's my one big complaint about nyu: they NEVER respond to my emails or calls! drives me crazy!

LittleGuy said:
i was wondering that too...i e-mailed the admissions office and i never heard back. That's my one big complaint about nyu: they NEVER respond to my emails or calls! drives me crazy!

That is very true... I guess it has to do with the volume of calls/emails they receive, which makes it prohibitive to reply to all. So instead of replying to a selected few, they just don't reply to anyone.. lol.. I would assume the treatment would be different once we matriculate though! On a bright note, I just received a packet in the mail that includes medical forms and registration information, along with recommendations for the computer configuration. I wonder whether the zip drive is just a minor recommendation or if it's very important... I mean.. these days it's more popular to have thumb drives (of the USB type).

ooh exciting. i looked on dell.com yesterday, they're having a HUGE sale on laptops...everything's under $1000. i bet they'll be even cheaper in late august though for the back-to-school rush. what bothers me about nyu is that other schools (michigan, for example) are incredibly responsive and polite....so obviously it's possible.

Hi! I just sent in my deposit for a spot at NYU and I am getting very excited! I was wondering if someone could post the computer requirements they received...I just ordered a Macbook and wanted to make sure everything is fine. Thanks!!!

LittleGuy said:
ooh exciting. i looked on dell.com yesterday, they're having a HUGE sale on laptops...everything's under $1000. i bet they'll be even cheaper in late august though for the back-to-school rush. what bothers me about nyu is that other schools (michigan, for example) are incredibly responsive and polite....so obviously it's possible.

I feel you there... but you're dealing with new yorkers here :laugh: I heard similar stories about Sinai and Columbia. They do answer phone calls, but some have complained about how rude some of the staff are on the phone... I guess you gotta wait until you're an actual doctor for the prestigious treatment to kick in.. I'll tell you this, when I took the MCAT, we were treated like prisoners in the Bastille.. So this is a change in the positive direction. But yea, Dell is definitely slashing their prices due to market losses... Check out this recent article http://news.com.com/Dell+whacks+prices+on+select+notebooks,+desktops/2100-1041_3-6066943.html As for computer recommendations, here's what the memo said, word for word:

"The minimum recommended configurations for laptop or desktop computers are:

For PCs (Pentium CPU) and Macs (Power Macs)
PC: Pentium IV, 1.5 GHz minimum w/512 Cache
MAC: 867 MHz 64 meg 1MB L2 Cache
Video Card
256 Megs of SDRAM
30 gigabyte ATA hard drive
16" viewable monitor or larger (desktop) / 15" viewable monitor or larger (laptop)
Zip drive, 250 MB
DVD-ROM drive with DVD video
Keyboard & Mouse
Windows XP or Mac OS X
A printer is also recommended
Anti-Virus software (Sophos Antivirus is available free of charge from the SoMIT website, www.med.nyu.edu/it once you are on campus)
Wireless Internet Support (802.11 b/g)
*Ethernet Card (3 Com)
*RJ 45-10 foot or longer Ethernet cable

*If you don't know whether your computer has a built in Ethernet card visit:
http://saturn.med.nyu.edu/UnixLab/Hardwareaddress.html

The NYU Computer Store, at 242 Greene Street, New York, NY 10003, phone (212) 998-4672. fax (212) 995-3779, sells computers and the network connection hardware that meets the preferred configurations at a competitive price. Special packages specifically designed for the Medical School will be displayed and made available for purchase and immediate delivery at the Computer Fair during Orientation week."

Any new computer will be fine. Do not sweat over exactly what the recommendations are. as I do not believe those have been updated in a few years. Actually, I don't even think you can buy a new computer that match the minimum specs since they are so basic...maybe in 2001. And yes, a zip drive is not necessary, considering most people either have cd/dvd burners or usb drives. Also, a printer is not a necessity, as there is a free printing lab on campus if you don't mind walking up into the classroom building.

Whoo! NYU!

Sorry, but this thread needed two things, 1) a little more excitement and 2) bumping. Page 2? We can do better guys.

Hey guys I have a quick question regarding the financial aid / tuition payment:

I absolutely need to pay tuition with loans/scholarship. I got my financial aid award letter from NYU, but no followup as to when the money will arrive or whether or how to even obtain the money. Furthermore, there was no mention of interest rates so I cannot see whether private loans would be more competative.

I recently received an update packet from NYU regarding move-in dates and misc. information. One part of the letter mentioned that tuition was due August 2X (don't remember the exact date). Will we get another letter or packet from the Financial Aid office?

Thanks

*bump* .. no one's worried about tuition?

BMW M3 said:
*bump* .. no one's worried about tuition?

I care, I just don't know the answer to your question! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
me neither...maybe it will come with our registration packet that's supposed to arrive soon?

I called the Financial Aid Office to ask them, but of course they didn't pick up or return my calls.

Also, does anyone have undergrad student loans that they need to defer?

grrr i hate the financial aid office...what a pain in the butt.

Hi! Just bumping the thread up because I just got accepted yesterday. Haven't gotten the mail yet, just an email, so don't really know anything or have anything to ask! Yay NYU :D

butmylipshurtrealbad said:
Hi! Just bumping the thread up because I just got accepted yesterday. Haven't gotten the mail yet, just an email, so don't really know anything or have anything to ask! Yay NYU :D

congratulations! is nyu your first choice?

2nd (waiting on a UC) I am really excited to go, I'm just a little apprehensive about the move (from CA). I'm sure a will love living in NY though:) Thanks for posting-- where are all the NYU people?! Does housing/ fin aid stuff come with the acceptance letter, or after sending in a deposit?

both will come in seperate mailings after you send in your deposit. we've also gotten other mailings about health requirements and orientation:)

Thanks for the info! :D

LittleGuy said:
both will come in seperate mailings after you send in your deposit. we've also gotten other mailings about health requirements and orientation:)

First and foremost, CONGRATS guys on being accepted to a great medical university! I just have a quick question for you accepted students. I'm a prospective applicant to NYU and would love to attend if accepted. I currently goto school in the midwest and have a GPA of 3.55 with a bcmp of ~3.47. I just got my MCAT and scored a 33 (10ps, 11vr, 12bio). I was just wondering if I had a shot on being accepted or if I should retake the MCAT in August. I'm a little worried about being pushed to the back of the line if I retake since I know NYU loves having interviews in nov\dec. Any advice you guys can give another fellow premed going through the agony ( :( ) of applying is much appreciated. And again, CONGRATS!

Righty123 said:
First and foremost, CONGRATS guys on being accepted to a great medical university! I just have a quick question for you accepted students. I'm a prospective applicant to NYU and would love to attend if accepted. I currently goto school in the midwest and have a GPA of 3.55 with a bcmp of ~3.47. I just got my MCAT and scored a 33 (10ps, 11vr, 12bio). I was just wondering if I had a shot on being accepted or if I should retake the MCAT in August. I'm a little worried about being pushed to the back of the line if I retake since I know NYU loves having interviews in nov\dec. Any advice you guys can give another fellow premed going through the agony ( :( ) of applying is much appreciated. And again, CONGRATS!

There are people out there (like me) who were accepted with lower MCAT scores. Its my opinion that NYU looks beyond grades and MCATs and more at what extracirricular activities you're involved in. Thats not to say that grades/MCATs don't matter, but a 33 is a SOLID score that you should NOT be ashamed of. Gluck, mate :luck:

I had a 33 too...but I had a 3.8 BCPM and was published. Honestly, the greatest advice anyone could have given me is that the process is really random. Apply to a lot of places, don't get your heart set on one, and you'll end up somewhere where you will be happy.

Is everybody signing up for all the events during orientation week?

that's what i was about to ask...i'm thinking yes? the riverboat cruise sounds like lots of fun and so does 6 flags. i'm getting really excited!! also, what societies are people trying to join?

Hate to be a bummer and bring the convo back to finances...

But does anybody know if we can get our loans "disbursed" this week, before the higher rate kicks in?

Wow. That took forever. I just read through the whole thread, cause I'm finally starting to get excited about moving to NY, and I haven't received any of the info in the mail yet, so I'm getting antsy! Is anyone on here from the Bay Area (CA)-- I would love to meet someone before going! :) :thumbup: Oh, and to do what people were doing a couple pages ago: I am a 22 year old female, graduated from UCSB in 2005, and from Palo Alto (where Stanford is, for the non Californians). Obviously, I am REALLY bored.....

i don't know...i would guess not. supposedly we're getting a financial aid packet but it looks like it won't be for a while. you could try calling the black hole that is the financial aid office, but i don't now how successful that will be. maybe e-mail them? or maybe even try calling the admissions office, they're somewhat more helpful.

No, your loans can't be issued until you fill out the final paperwork during orientation week. The money actually gets disbursed about 2 weeks after school starts.

LittleGuy said:
that's what i was about to ask...i'm thinking yes? the riverboat cruise sounds like lots of fun and so does 6 flags. i'm getting really excited!! also, what societies are people trying to join?

Yea I signed up for everything and it came out to be $75... I was hoping they would find 75 bucks in the astronomical tuition for these events though :rolleyes: But I guess it's worth it... the events seem to be loaded with fun.. Any current first year feedback about them would be cool... And about societies, I was thinking Jonas Salk society for me since it deals with the application of basic science to everyday medicine. I do like the May Chinn Society for Bioethics and Human Rights too though... So whichever they give me it shouldn't be a problem..

I've signed up for everything as well :D . If its half as fun as college orientation, it should be a blast!

I joined the Lewis Thomas Society for Arts and Humanities in Medicine.

Can't wait to meet all you guys in a couple of weeks (in the most non-stalkerish way possible)!

eek, it's hard to believe that we're within the 2-month mark. My number one choice is the walter reed society...and i signed up for everything else is well. orientation should be super fun, i'm really excited:)

Just sent out my "blue-pages" today as well as my checks to those medical associations.

My email address they assigned me is fairly hard to remember (check the back of your orientation booklet for your email/password). Anyone know if there is a way to change that? ;)

All of the events are fun. I would suggest signing up for all of them, especially the cruise.

As for the societies, they really don't matter all that much.

butmylipshurtrealbad said:
Wow. That took forever. I just read through the whole thread, cause I'm finally starting to get excited about moving to NY, and I haven't received any of the info in the mail yet, so I'm getting antsy! Is anyone on here from the Bay Area (CA)-- I would love to meet someone before going! :) :thumbup: Oh, and to do what people were doing a couple pages ago: I am a 22 year old female, graduated from UCSB in 2005, and from Palo Alto (where Stanford is, for the non Californians). Obviously, I am REALLY bored.....

I'm from Socal! Which is still far, but it seems like I might be the closest one to you on here :) Congratulations on getting in!

Is anyone not using their 2 tickets for the white coat ceremony? I have an extra guest that i need a ticket for. anyone, anyone?

LittleGuy said:
Is anyone not using their 2 tickets for the white coat ceremony? I have an extra guest that i need a ticket for. anyone, anyone?

Good luck on that one. :) I really wish I had more than 2 tickets as well... oh well!

P.S.: For the whole msq thing we have to fill out at http://www.aamc.org/msq how late is late june? there are 2 days left

bgreet said:
Good luck on that one. :) I really wish I had more than 2 tickets as well... oh well!

P.S.: For the whole msq thing we have to fill out at http://www.aamc.org/msq how late is late june? there are 2 days left

Huh? What do we have to do by late June? I thought the questionaire thing is to be completed before the white coat ceremony (late Aug) not late June, is this what you were talking about?

Speaking of the ceremony, I already put myself down with one guest so i can't you littleguy.

gcomplex7 said:
Huh? What do we have to do by late June? I thought the questionaire thing is to be completed before the white coat ceremony (late Aug) not late June, is this what you were talking about?

Speaking of the ceremony, I already put myself down with one guest so i can't you littleguy.

We have to fill out that aamc form online before the whitecoat which is in August, however I know I'll forget down the line if I don't do it now and the aamc said it would be up "Late June" but still hasn't gone up yet. Whatever no big deal, just hope I don't forget hehe

i just did it today...it's up! i agree, get it done early and forget about it completely:)

I've been taking a bit of a hiatus from SDN, but couldn't help but come back . . .

I signed up for all the orientation events, I mean, who doesn't want to do something fun? Besides, I thought it was great just being at 2nd look and meeting people, it should be even better at orientation when everyone is, you know, officially going.

Also, I noticed the little headlines under our user names have changed . . . I guess 100+ posts grants "Senior Member" status . . . I wonder if I should have listed SDN under my extracurriculars on AMCAS . . . (man, glad those days are over!).

BMW M3 said:
Just sent out my "blue-pages" today as well as my checks to those medical associations.

My email address they assigned me is fairly hard to remember (check the back of your orientation booklet for your email/password). Anyone know if there is a way to change that? ;)

I found an update info page and submitted an alias for review . . . I don't know if they approve any e-mail aliases before orientation. If it works I'll post a link to the update info page.

Dakota said:
I found an update info page and submitted an alias for review . . . I don't know if they approve any e-mail aliases before orientation. If it works I'll post a link to the update info page.

Sweet. Where's the update info page? Also, anyone receive confirmation for their id stuff after emailing it?

Here's the link bgreet.

http://www.med.nyu.edu/it/

Click "My info" on the right.

I still don't have any confirmation that my changes were approved, so it might be a waste of time . . . but who knows.

Dakota said:
Here's the link bgreet.

http://www.med.nyu.edu/it/

Click "My info" on the right.

I still don't have any confirmation that my changes were approved, so it might be a waste of time . . . but who knows.

Thanks. Anyone know of a good bank to open up a checking account with thats by the school?

2 Bank of America ATMs are actually located in the building (this is who I use, especially with their new keep the cahnge debit card). However, the nearest actual branch is in the Empire State Building, 5 long blocks over. Closest bank branch to the school is CitiBank, and its on 29th and 1st.

And you might get your alias approved, depends on who is actually fielding the requests. Also, just FYI, you can ask them to set up your nyu email address to forward to another account. Right now all of my mail gets forwarded to a gmail account, so I woun't have to change my email again in a few years. That and gmail is far better than the email system around here.

FaytlND said:
...Right now all of my mail gets forwarded to a gmail account, so I woun't have to change my email again in a few years. That and gmail is far better than the email system around here.

They've actually started offering an indefinite e-mail account to NYU graduates, and not just an alias. Well, I know that's true for all undergraduates, I can only assume it's the same for graduate students as well.

http://www.nyu.edu/its/accounts/gradfaq.html

Anybody know what the deal is with laundry? In other words, should I start saving quarters now?